Newbie with a new to me S2 11A

I'm getting conflicting feedback, I wanted to know the size of the fuel tank. The boat is in a marina in Berkeley, CA and I need to bring her to my slip In Oakley, CA up on the Delta. I'm figuring about 50 miles. I would think that it shouldn't take a lot of fuel. It has a Volvo Penta 35 hp but I don't know what the engine draws.

I saw a marketing piece that said the water from both sinks and the shower drain into a sump and then an automatic pump discharges overboard, where is the sump.

I have only been on board once and didn't have a lot of time to search, where is the 30gl holding tank, and where would they put an 80gl water tank all on a 36 ft boat?

They may be dumb questions, just trying to learn more about the boat without any documentation.

Thanks

Hal

- Around 1 gallon / hour if you're not at full throttle, i.e. say 2500 RPM on a 3000 RPM engine. If you're not 100% certain of the boat/engine/fuel tank, bring a spare fuel filter. Watch a youtube video on changing diesel engine fuel filters and bleeding the engine. 

- look in the bilge for the sump. It will be a little box

- look under the settees and V-berth. Tanks will be big boxes.

• Like 1

Back to civility. I was looking for an Owners Operating and Service Manual for a Volvo Penta MD 17c. I tried Volvo and if it's there I probably went right over it. Not getting desperate yet, I have to be out of the marina by 2/8.

I would appreciate an assist. Thanks 

7 minutes ago, halvern said:

Back to civility. I was looking for an Owners Operating and Service Manual for a Volvo Penta MD 17c. I tried Volvo and if it's there I probably went right over it. Not getting desperate yet, I have to be out of the marina by 2/8.

10 minutes ago, halvern said:

or ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/324229096430

Berkeley to Oakley is probably 6 hours on a 35 ft boat. If you can sail it is a lot more pleasant. Leave around slack tide and you will have a nice flood all the way. You can get Diesel at Benicia and Antioch. Tow insurance might be helpful too... 

Tow insurance for sure, and not the $50/time one. Boat US Gold at minimum. 

Ride the flood absolutely. powering at 6 knots againts a 3 knot ebb ain't fun.

Change the oil, make sure the cell phone is charged, have a nice ride home.  

If it's been sitting a long time, gunk in the tank is the only real concern.  You can always bail out at Richmond, Vallejo, Benecia, etc.

11 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

A spare impeller or two for the water pump wouldn’t be a bad idea

Actually, replacing the fuel filter, impeller, oil would all be good. Running at the slip under load for 15 minutes to see water flow and temp is not a bad test.

• Like 1

In addition to all of the above, once you changed oil and filters and impeller, nothing wrong with going out for an hour or two and running around in big circles at cruising speeds as a dry run before heading up the delta…if nothing overheats, if you get no alarms for oil pressure if battery stays fully charged, etc, then your likely to be fine heading up the delta.  If you top off the fuel before and after, you should be able to get a reasonable idea of fuel burn as well.

4 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

and a accurate depth sounder... don't ask me how I know :unsure:

Well, he won't be buzzing along at 16 knots having to soak down in a puff....

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Actually, replacing the fuel filter, impeller, oil would all be good. Running at the slip under load for 15 minutes to see water flow and temp is not a bad test.

Absolutely.  A number of years ago I was part of a delivery crew for a friend who had bought a used CS 36 Merlin. Western NY state to Chicago in the Spring.  Owner was in a hurry to get going and ignored advice to do as you suggested. Seller assured my friend that the engine had been regularly and properly serviced. Hah. Had to stop over in Erie, Pa as the engine kept stalling, running rough, etc. All kinds of muck messing with the fuel filter and fuel pump intake.  Injectors we’re anything but clean. Lost a day and a half having a local boatyard get everything proper again. Needless to say the new owner was anything but happy.  

I have found that once you leave either the Sacramento River or Stockton River channels, you have to have a depth sounder. And Even then you need decent charts. Forward shooting sounders are great but because the sand berms move depending on the tidal flows they show up so fast that you will hit bottom without a lot of notice. The S2 seems fit in all ways as far as the boat. My concern will be loss of power. Eyesailor (thanks again) gave me a link to an Owners Manual for sale on EBAY for the Volvo engine which I ordered and hopefully will arrive soon. AnotherSailor (thanks also) made mention of riding the slack tide and then taking a push from the changing tide going in. Right now it looks like we can leave around 3:30 PM on Saturday the 22nd and put us in around 8-9 PM. We have all the life gear needed, I'm bringing a hand held VHF (not sure about one installed), hand held GPS, and I have all new charts from SF Bay up to Benicia and then from Benicia thru the straights on into the Delta and over to Oakley. I use a really good marina, Lauritzen's Yacht Harbor, just past the Antioch Bridge going up into the /delta, They have right at 8 feet at low tide and they have water and power (free) plus Fuel and dumpout station. Biggest plus they have 24 hour roaming security along with camera's. Just a note if you are ever up in the delta, not a sales pitch.

Thanks to all that have opined in, the help is really appreciated. This boat will be the end, I'm sneaking up on 75 real fast and hoping to go out with at least a smile and smell of saltwater on my hands.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, halvern said:

Thanks to all that have opined in, the help is really appreciated. This boat will be the end, I'm sneaking up on 75 real fast and hoping to go out with at least a smile and smell of saltwater on my hands.

You know that the Delta is fresh water right? Not that there is anything wrong with that!

The further north you go into the Delta, the fresher the water. When the tide is coming in you can sip the water and it's salty, but then it will dilute to brackish.

Not too bad for bathing as long as you use a bar of Lava. That reminded me of my stint on a carrier back in  Nam days, you learn that Lava is the only soap that Lathers in salt water.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, halvern said:

The further north you go into the Delta, the fresher the water. When the tide is coming in you can sip the water and it's salty, but then it will dilute to brackish.

Not too bad for bathing as long as you use a bar of Lava. That reminded me of my stint on a carrier back in  Nam days, you learn that Lava is the only soap that Lathers in salt water.

even past Antioch? 

I spent some time around owl harbor, which is a bit further, and the water was always fresh (and cold, even in the blazing heat, which made it all bearable).

Zonker, a special thanks for the manual. We are in the 50's here in NorCal, so this might just be what it takes to stay in bed longer and read. We are getting the "wave" from the volcanic activity in the far Pacific, and the news showed people loading their cars because the flooding (2ft) is going to inundate the whole Bay area and we all are going to die!! Get serious, roll up your pants. Heading over to Berkeley to spend more time on the 11A. Taking small tool kit along with pad of paper, soda, munchies, and garbage bags. Ah the life!

If you have access to the diesel tank, pump out the bottom to see what kind of muck is there.  Bring some spare diesel jugs.  If the tank is fouled, you could run off the jugs. Make a float plan with someone on shore so if you are overdue, they can send for help.  

• 2 weeks later...

The "big move" has been delayed till Monday 2/7/22. we figure leaving around 9 am'ish which would put us on the crest when we swing into the main channel heading for The Brothers (clear to Port, I think), have to look again. Then roll on into Benica the Martinez bridge and then Benicia Bridge. Fingers crossed. 

Anyone with history on this run, please dive in, looking for all comments.

We moved her on 2/7. Not too long out I wanted a little more speed, went from 1500 to about 2200. Engine ran for about 10 mins then stalled. Temp gauge was in the middle. At first I thought it might be a fuel issue. Stay calm we have TowUS. Waited ten minutes and started back up. The temp gauge then spiked to the high pin but she ran well at 1500. Waited several hours and tried 2200 rpm and she stalled again. After a delay engine (Volvo M17d) started up and we left it for the trip.

Our 4-5 hour trip to cover right at 60nm took a total of about 12 1/2 hours. Ran out of bottle tea and salami and cheese went at noon. 

Looking for insight, please.

7 hours ago, halvern said:

Looking for insight, please.

Pack more snax next time?^_^  

Actually, never run an engine with the temp gauge pegged.  Could be a bad reading, but if not, Bad Things Happen.  I’d first look at coolant level, then the impeller (broken or missing vanes seriously limit water flow), then remove/clean the heat exchanger.   Change the fuel filter(s) and observe their condition.  Gunky tank will clog them very quickly.  After that it gets more technical and you’d probably be better off with a mechanic that can actually see the engine.  If it turns out the engine was indeed running hot, monitor it very carefully in the future as a warped head/blown gasket can be lurking.  GL!

hmmmmmm, engine stalling at higher rpm ... might be a fuel supply issue. As NaCIH said check the filters (and lines). There should be a primary and secondary filter. The one that is on the engine has a little filter that can get clogged easily, but sometime there are other parts added in the fuel line that cause issues (such as a fuel pump used for bleeding the engine). Also check the cooling system indeed and replace all the easy stuff. Is there a heat exchanger on this engine??? Check the thermostat. 

There is a ton of easy maintenance on this engine you can do yourself. There is a good chance that doing all that will solve the issue. My bet is a clogged diesel filter.