38 minutes ago, Tacoma Mud Flats said:

The faired-in, heavy artillery spinnaker poles are also impressive.

This version gets penalized for an oversized spinnaker pole.  That's not another 50 cal machine gun in the lower port side of the nose, its a 75mm cannon!

B-25G Mitchell Live Fire Test – 75MM M4 Cannons | World War Wings Videos

• Like 1
On 1/12/2022 at 1:55 PM, mcorbo said:

Anyone know of any B25’s for sale these days? 

I know of a like new (like it's been sailed like 10 hours total) Left Coast Dart. Pretty much an updated B25. It's on a custom trailer, ready to hitch to a truck and tow her cross country.

It's a bit more money. But I'm guessing the price is highly negotiable...

5 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I know of a like new (like it's been sailed like 10 hours total) Left Coast Dart. Pretty much an updated B25. It's on a custom trailer, ready to hitch to a truck and tow her cross country.

the dart's got a prodder. I guess the b25 doesn't even qualify as a sportboat anymore, its got no a-sail.

12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not when you want close ground support.

Or a sled for a spinnaker ride

- DSK

Not exactly though I understand your point.  The B-52’s played a major part in breaking the siege of Khe Sanh.  Dropping dumb bombs from 30,000 feet and hitting the intended targets within a 1/4 mile of the perimeter was the height of aiming and accuracy.   It was among, if not the finest hour of any group of navigator/bombardiers.  You had to be there to understand.     

2 minutes ago, Santanasailor said:

Not exactly though I understand your point.  The B-52’s played a major part in breaking the siege of Khe Sanh.  Dropping dumb bombs from 30,000 feet and hitting the intended targets within a 1/4 mile of the perimeter was the height of aiming and accuracy.   It was among, if not the finest hour of any group of navigator/bombardiers.  You had to be there to understand.     

I have not been there and don't claim to understand. It's a terrible spot to be in and I'm glad you got that support.

Still, a very different thing from coming in at the tree tops and lighting up the crowd that's about to jump into your trench, which is what I was thinking of... again not from personal experience, thankfully.

The B25s with the 75mm were originally for busting Japanese ships. IIRC they were used against bunkers and armored vehicles, too.

- DSK

Rate of fire if that 75 wasn’t very fast…something like 4 rds/min, so that limited the type of targets you could use it for, as on most passes you were lucky to get 2 round off…

…and if well defended, the second pass was the one that got you shot down

Ultimately, that configuration was replaced with the all 50 cal gun nose and 5in HVAR rockets on the wings.  The cannon worked, the guns/rockets worked better.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Given the chance, I'd but a Dart before I'd buy the B-25.  If I bought a 25, I would set about modding it to be more like the Dart.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Crash said:

Given the chance, I'd but a Dart before I'd buy the B-25.  If I bought a 25, I would set about modding it to be more like the Dart.

And the dart can go through a few more lives with future turbo mods 

23 hours ago, Crash said:

It’s hard not to like the Dart. Having spent a lot of years on a B25 and a Laser 28, the Dart seemed like a perfect hybrid between the two concepts coupled with a more modern sail plan. As far as modding the B25, a masthead kite and better rudder are all it really needs. 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, DRDNA said:

I agree a Dart would be superior, but the only one I see for sale is 49000 USD.  A B25 is going to be far less to purchase.

Purchase price nevers equal cost to own.  In some ways the 2 boats will be similar.  Sails, lines, etc will cost about the same.  But the Dart is 20 years newer...so gear on a B25 might be starting to be in need of replacement, for example, likely getting to be time to replace the standing rigging on a B-25.  What will that run you?  Where as gear on the Dart is still likely in great shape.

One of a hundred trades and compromises you make when you buy a sailboat :rolleyes:

such sage advice. and don't forget resale. an honest spreadsheet comparing the lifetime cost of ownership might be revealing. however - I suspect that if all sailors did this. then no one would ever buy a boat to begin with.

I guess the spreadsheet would need a row titled: "emotional wants". and here you just fill in the blank to make the numbers work out the way you want them to.

• Like 3