Looking for a sailing dinghy less than 200lbs

I find myself a little past my 60th birthday and less athletic than I used to be when I was windsurfing years ago. Now I am finally in my dream house on the Nuese River in Eastern North Carolina. The river goes from glass smooth to rocking white caps. I am looking to sail a small boat under about 200lbs that I could get in and out without having to buy a $20k lift. I have a beautiful replica wood boat that I sail in lakes but it has a very short draft and is really not fun to get back to sailing after a capsize.   Once it starts taking on water you are going to be. bailing for a while and/or getting towed in by the best Good Samaritan on the water. 

So I am looking for a sailing dinghy less than 200lbs that I can have fun with and not have to be so paranoid about capsizing.  The boats below are the ones that I am aware of and considering. 

I would love to read your opinions on these three below and suggestions of any others. 

Flying Junior 

Laser

Zuma

Thanks very much,

Jim L.

Not the Laser; but if I were you, I would consider a Sunfish or its updated version Rocket.

I believe that there are a bunch of Sunfishes in your area; something to consider if you would like some sort of socialization to go along with your sailing.

Budget?

We're seeing quite a bit of update of RS Aeros in the Master class around here, and it get's windy here. 33 kilo hull. 

Capsizing will happen, but it's self bailing.

• Like 1

If weight is a consideration for launching, recovery, and ease of movement on land, then the RS Aero is worth a look, with a hull weight of only 70lbs (compared to 130lbs for a Laser or Zuma, and 210 lbs for a Flying Junior.)

I am also past my 60th birthday and less athletic than I used to be, but have found the Aero easy to sail, not to mention huge fun. (Prior to sailing the Aero most of my dinghy experience was in Lasers and Sunfish.) 

I am not paranoid about capsizing but actually I hardly ever capsize my RS Aero. The rig depowers very well to handle stronger winds and, to me, it feels more stable downwind than a Laser (because of the every different hull shape I suspect.) Capsize recovery and re-entry need a little different technique than what you would use on a Laser (say) but it's no harder, just different. And the Aero self-bails very quickly, through the flaps on the "open" transom.

For the record I am 73 and have been sailing the Aero since 2015. 

• Like 1

As a European person who really can not understand Sunfish type boats in anyway , it really pains me to say I think the new Rocket could really work for you and the type of sailing your looking to do . :D

• Like 1

Having been a counselor at Camp Sea Gull in the 80's I'm very familiar with the Nuese.  Do herds jelly fish still get blown up the river?  Is the Oriental sailing club still active?  Anyway, as much as it pains me to say it I'd recommend the Rocket based on ease of use and if you're not interested in getting into racing.

• Like 1

Rocket is a sweet boat. i know, i have one. However, it will be significant step down from windsurfing experience.

I, while still approaching 60th mark, would suggest Weta, if 60 is hard, or an older non-foiling A-cat, if past 60 still feels ok.

My choice in a similar situation was MX Next. Carbon, below 100lb with sail, easy to mount for sailing and have spi. The downside is there never will be a fleet

IMG_3575_1.jpg