Jacksonville, FL Racing

What does the local racing scene look like in the area?  Any weeknight beer can racing or weekend club events?

Due to employment changes, I may end up moving to the Jacksonville area later in the year.  I have a 41', 8'8" draft racer/cruiser PHRF-NE 45.  What would be the closest active fleet you would recommend looking into?

I haven't raced in Jax since I was a kid, so my info is pretty dated.  I do know the waters fairly well.

Check the chart (Jacksonville to Racy Point 11492).  Florida is known for thin water.

Most sailing/racing is south of Jax in the river and it gets shallow (8-10 ft) out of the channel.   Boats with 5 ft draft are careful.  

That said, I've sailed an old Morgan 24 that drew 7 ft board down and we we're usually OK.  8+ draft is pretty deep.  Bottom is mud.

Fuller Warren (I95) bridge clearance is 75 ft so you should be OK to get just south of Jax.  However, the next bridge a few miles south is 65 ft clearance (Buckman I295 bridge) and the Shands bridge south of Green Cove springs has only 45 ft clearance

Haulout and berthing may be an issue as Ortega River has a 6 ft hump.  Green Cove springs may be able to haul you. (Must pass Buckman Bridge I295)

Rudder Club and Florida YC have racing.

You could leave the big boat on the hard and race 1D (J24 is active)

Good luck!  

I hate to join in the chorus of gloom, but honestly... not much joy to be had with 8' draft anywhere in the southeastern US, unless you're willing to never come within about 11 miles of shore. Long dinghy ride.

- DSK

8 hours ago, Wedgie said:

What does the local racing scene look like in the area?  Any weeknight beer can racing or weekend club events?

Due to employment changes, I may end up moving to the Jacksonville area later in the year.  I have a 41', 8'8" draft racer/cruiser PHRF-NE 45.  What would be the closest active fleet you would recommend looking into?

Also the draft is about two feet to much. You would be racing against cruisers not race boats. The hot boat in town is a Antrim 27 and a Express 27. Pitiful is all I can say. 

I was hoping to live aboard for 6 months to see how everything worked out before buying a house but that doesn't seem practical at this point.....   Thanks for filling me in on the racing scene or lack of, lol.

25 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I was hoping to live aboard for 6 months to see how everything worked out before buying a house but that doesn't seem practical at this point.....   Thanks for filling me in on the racing scene or lack of, lol.

No marinas in jacksonville can take that much draft at low tide.