Dufus from the Front Page

Looking at the website and video, which seems to spend more time on wind foiling than the actual boat, it doesn't look that bad.  That weird ass rear platform looks to be removable and wait for it...inflatable.  I guess it is more of a floating sun platform than anything.

At least they haven't stuffed two small wheels on it and have a proper tiller and extension that makes a small cockpit a lot easier to live with.

I had one of the weird old 35's back in the 1980's to early 90's.  It was one of the few boats at the time that had hull windows.  It sailed better than it looked.   It was coined "Dufus" back then

3 hours ago, bridhb said:

At least they haven't stuffed two small wheels on it and have a proper tiller and extension that makes a small cockpit a lot easier to live with.

ed get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? I agree - boat looks interesting to me. at least above decks. down below it appears rather charmless though.

but what I can see - besides a nice tiller - is an interesting sail plan with the mainsail flaking system sorted out (must be a specific word for this system - but yeah, jumping around on deck trying to flake the main seems to me the single most dangerous job on the boat when sailing shorthanded). Plus its got a sprit that does double duty for ground tackle as well as a-sail. it may even have a windlass tucked away in a locker forward. what's not to like?

dufour-32-sailing-yacht-42.jpg

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, floater said:

ed get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?  what's not to like?

I think he did. It's  a Cruising boat. It actually looks pretty nice for a small family.        or a few couples to party on. I like the cockpit fold out bed/couch.

But being in my condition, to many elevation changes

• Like 1

i'm not saying there aren't some interesting elements to the thing, it is a decent looking hull for sure, but ffs, the other shit is mind bending. 

• Like 2

I guess the designer really showed some restraint there - he really wanted to stick a foil on it.

14 minutes ago, 221J said:

The transom pad needs a liferaft compartment and an outboard motor bracket, at which point it would be at least practical.

It does pack a lot of stuff into a 32' package, but it's not a light boat..  It will not be cheap, but I bet they will sell every hull they build. The mainsheet setup is kind of neat, and I can't quite make out exactly the headsail setup (I see a self-tacking track, but the sheet appears to lead back to a location near the front end of the handrail).  This would be nice to have at any island.

It would be nice if they showed a couple of photos with the stern lifelines in place.

53 minutes ago, knuckles said:

..I can't quite make out exactly the headsail setup (I see a self-tacking track, but the sheet appears to lead back to a location near the front end of the handrail). 

I need someone to explain this to me as well - just noticed that the boat has no primaries. instead, just a single pair of not-too-large winches on the coach roof.

it looks to me like she has the jib sheet here?

dufour-32-sailing-yacht-43.jpg

The French in general and Dufour in particular have a long history of designing cruiser-racers intended for no more than two couples to handle.  Who I really feel for is the person that believes a real crew can sail this thing around the cans competitively...

• Like 1

Interesting inflatable boom winglets. I don't see these lasting long in the elements but kinder to the skull.

No traveler, no primary winches.

They don't say what happens when the spin sheet catches the foil boards but that could get expensive real quick.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, floater said:

I need someone to explain this to me as well - just noticed that the boat has no primaries. instead, just a single pair of not-too-large winches on the coach roof.

There is a hand sticking out of the companionway it seems...

• Like 1

Ain't my cup o tea.  Wide, fat-ass good for dragging a lotta water in light winds, and making for bouncy motion when the wind is up.  Bet that will be one uncomfortable ride in a chop.  But to each his own.

1 hour ago, floater said:

The jib trim is done by a block and tackle it looks like.  Interesting approach to keeping things simple, like the main sheet.

All in all i looks like a decent boat for two couple cruising and beer can puttering about.  Doubt they put much thought, if any, into a round the cans racing "weapon".    

Also decent looking when they leave the butt plug back at the dock.  

Would I buy?  Probably not.  Will many people buy it, probably yes.  

yikes - just noticed that the cockpit sole looks like it contains an upside down cockpit table. no kidding. could that be true - you are walking around on the cockpit table while sailing? maybe the ed has a point after all.

and as for the butt plug - lol. if you watch the video - the wing surfer disembarks via the deck. not the float. then when getting back aboard he needs a hand. iow, the stern float so wobbly in practice not even an expert board sailor can manage it without a helping hand. 

14 minutes ago, floater said:

ps: its true. although I guess the cure is just to leave it home. not sure this design gonna age too well..

dufour-32-sailing-yacht-12.jpg

dufour-32-sailing-yacht-20.jpg

Pretty chubby for a French yachtgirl.  They must be targeting another market. 

But the Europeans do love their prend-soleil pads

[The scene: the grey boomer in a clubtie swallows two blue pills, turns on the microphone. You can hear a squeaking noise, like a broken earpiece. He coughs, than begins his speech]

'Gentlemen of the honourable Commodore's secret piss-from-the-rail-society. Thank you all for attending on such short notice!

The matter at hand is indeed an urgent matter that cannot, and must not be postponed!

For years, nay, decades now, the marine industry, in a far-too-obvious collusion with our wives and girlfriends has taken over our ships and boats. Much too long -and I am guilty myself- have we endured and accepted the evermore grotesque evolutions in yacht design.

First, they wanted 'room', and so, we did away with our pilot berths, thinking that this was what they wanted.

But it wasn't enough. They needed more.

They needed 'privacy'. And we gave them 'privacy'.

Hallberg-Rassy 43 Mk III - Hallberg-Rassy

Of course we did! Because [he smirks], did we not all benefit from it, every now and then??? [he looks around cheekely, deep male laughter erupts].

But that was only the beginning. Than, while we were pondering new ways to get the kite down the companionway, they asked, if one could not do away with that [impersonates a female voice] 'gigantic chart table' and enlarge what they called 'the kitchen' somewhat. Ha, somewhat!

And of course we obliged. And in went a proper kitchen! With Oregano!

Beneteau Oceanis 34.1: Oceanis 34.1: Spannender Zugang in der  Zehn-Meter-Klasse

Gentleman, we -and this must matter to our secret society most of all- also remained silent, when the abyss opened up and out of it came not only one, not two, but [he now shrieks] three bathrooms. BATHROOMS. Not toilets. Not loos.

Bathrooms. With showers!!!

Dufour Yachts Grand Large 390 2022 New Boat for Sale in Vancouver, British  Columbia - BoatDealers.ca

And of course, all that room was costly. And who, I ask you, paid for all these toilets? WE DID! [approving noise]

Yet still, we trodded along. Because, let's face it, these extremely wide boats that we now needed for our toilets, they gave us a run downwind like we never had. We all, all! felt young again, didn't we?

Of course, we all than had to motor upwind. Which was, let's be honest, also a good excuse to get these new oversized engines. 

But now, comrades [he holds up his right fist] the final frontiers are being brought down, and the endgame has begun!!!

What once were proud ships, that had a reputation and a name, such as 'Myth', ''Brindabella' or 'Stormy Weather', have been turned into backdrops for Youtube or that Intergram-thing. Our boats have now become schleppers and sherpas for all kinds of stuff from microovens to washing machines to TVs [someone in the back: 'hey, those are ok!' and is swiftly dragged outside by two security guards] to E-bikes and now this, THIS:

A stand-up paddleboard that they try to sell us as a FLOATING BATHING PLATFORM. Which we are supposed to start our kitesurfing from!

dufour-32-sailing-yacht-34.jpg

Gentlemen! Enough! [He turns up the volume]

Who thinks a new wardrobe should not be from Versace, but from Elvström ??? [mild applause]

Who wants back that pilot berth? [loud cheers]

Who wants back that chart table? [ear-deafening applause]

Who pisses with me from the rail? [you could hear a pin drop]

Ahem, allright. Nevermind.

Gentlemen, it is high time we take back our boats!!!

[Image a scene not unlike after a famous Mel Gibson speech]

Two boats to take you around the world: Contessa 32 and Rustler 36 -  Classic Boat Magazine

[He ends his rant and swallows another little pill for his blood-pressure.

Only then does he perceive a silhouette through the thick cigar smoke:

his wive, standing back in the door, lit from behind. Her right foot tips on the floor, patiently, in an unforgiving, menacing beat that he knows oh-too well.

He instantly realizes: his next boat will be a daysailer. ]

• Like 17

Hire and Drive will love this.

But I cannot figure out the purpose of that main sheet. Does the mid boom bridle allow the otherwise end boom sheeting to get teh boom closer to centreline?

7 hours ago, floater said:

ed get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? 

Ed's just trying to show us he's still "edgy" even though he has a new boss.

• Like 1

I’m not too sure about cross sheeting the asail across to the cabin top winch, therefore interfering with the main sheet. Seems like a massive chafing problem in addition to the cabin top bridle and Barney post setup. 

• Like 1

This is the kind of thing you’d expect to see if General Motors was commissioned to design and build a sailboat. That transom flap must be a detachable paddle board right?  

• Like 1

These guys know  their market.  Three headed shit box.  I always enjoyed new stuff with a fresh approach, and. nothing says fresh like three heads.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, #13 said:

The French in general and Dufour in particular have a long history of designing cruiser-racers intended for no more than two couples to handle.  Who I really feel for is the person that believes a real crew can sail this thing around the cans competitively...

There is a previous generation Dufour 34 in my area that kicks ass every time it goes out racing.  Might be a rating thing though. :ph34r:  It was on my list of boats to buy before I found the one I have.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, guerdon said:

These guys know  their market.  Three headed shit box.  I always enjoyed new stuff with a fresh approach, and. nothing says fresh like three heads.

How many holding tanks and what volume?:huh:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Matagi said:

[The scene: the grey boomer in a clubtie swallows two blue pills, turns on the microphone. You can hear a squeaking noise, like a broken earpiece. He coughs, than begins his speech]

'Gentlemen of the honourable Commodore's secret piss-from-the-rail-society. Thank you all for attending on such short notice!

The matter at hand is indeed an urgent matter that cannot, and must not be postponed!

For years, nay, decades now, the marine industry, in a far-too-obvious collusion with our wives and girlfriends has taken over our ships and boats. Much too long -and I am guilty myself- have we endured and accepted the evermore grotesque evolutions in yacht design.

First, they wanted 'room', and so, we did away with our pilot berths, thinking that this was what they wanted.

But it wasn't enough. They needed more.

They needed 'privacy'. And we gave them 'privacy'.

Hallberg-Rassy 43 Mk III - Hallberg-Rassy

Of course we did! Because [he smirks], did we not all benefit from it, every now and then??? [he looks around cheekely, deep male laughter erupts].

But that was only the beginning. Than, while we were pondering new ways to get the kite down the companionway, they asked, if one could not do away with that [impersonates a female voice] 'gigantic chart table' and enlarge what they called 'the kitchen' somewhat. Ha, somewhat!

And of course we obliged. And in went a proper kitchen! With Oregano!

Beneteau Oceanis 34.1: Oceanis 34.1: Spannender Zugang in der  Zehn-Meter-Klasse

Gentleman, we -and this must matter to our secret society most of all- also remained silent, when the abyss opened up and out of it came not only one, not two, but [he now shrieks] three bathrooms. BATHROOMS. Not toilets. Not loos.

Bathrooms. With showers!!!

Dufour Yachts Grand Large 390 2022 New Boat for Sale in Vancouver, British  Columbia - BoatDealers.ca

And of course, all that room was costly. And who, I ask you, paid for all these toilets? WE DID! [approving noise]

Yet still, we trodded along. Because, let's face it, these extremely wide boats that we now needed for our toilets, they gave us a run downwind like we never had. We all, all! felt young again, didn't we?

Of course, we all than had to motor upwind. Which was, let's be honest, also a good excuse to get these new oversized engines. 

But now, comrades [he holds up his right fist] the final frontiers are being brought down, and the endgame has begun!!!

What once were proud ships, that had a reputation and a name, such as 'Myth', ''Brindabella' or 'Stormy Weather', have been turned into backdrops for Youtube or that Intergram-thing. Our boats have now become schleppers and sherpas for all kinds of stuff from microovens to washing machines to TVs [someone in the back: 'hey, those are ok!' and is swiftly dragged outside by two security guards] to E-bikes and now this, THIS:

A stand-up paddleboard that they try to sell us as a FLOATING BATHING PLATFORM. Which we are supposed to start our kitesurfing from!

dufour-32-sailing-yacht-34.jpg

Gentlemen! Enough! [He turns up the volume]

Who thinks a new wardrobe should not be from Versace, but from Elvström ??? [mild applause]

Who wants back that pilot berth? [loud cheers]

Who wants back that chart table? [ear-deafening applause]

Who pisses with me from the rail? [you could hear a pin drop]

Ahem, allright. Nevermind.

Gentlemen, it is high time we take back our boats!!!

[Image a scene not unlike after a famous Mel Gibson speech]

Two boats to take you around the world: Contessa 32 and Rustler 36 -  Classic Boat Magazine

[He ends his rant and swallows another little pill for his blood-pressure.

Only then does he perceive a silhouette through the thick cigar smoke:

his wive, standing back in the door, lit from behind. Her right foot tips on the floor, patiently, in an unforgiving, menacing beat that he knows oh-too well.

He instantly realizes: his next boat will be a daysailer. ]

Bravo! funniest thing i’ve read here in a while. 

• Like 2

I'm in the market for a 29-32 weekend cruiser.  Wont' be buying new, but I watched the video.  Nice sail plan.  Glad it was tiller.  Below deck looks well designed for a family weekender.  Flip out racks, huge plus for those us us who sail with Teen with Toys.  And if you don't like the inflatable swim platform, don't use it.   If I wanted to spend on new, this would be on the list.  

So you’re saying the only taste you have is in your mouth?

This thread is about shitting on that shit box, not complementing it…;)

Big open aft area of transom. Throttle and engine buttons way back there facing aft. This is a double wheel design for sure. Tiller was thrown on there because they had deadlines and nobody could figure out how to rig the wheels in time.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Big open aft area of transom. Throttle and engine buttons way back there facing aft. This is a double wheel design for sure. Tiller was thrown on there because they had deadlines and nobody could figure out how to rig the wheels in time.

Good eyes. Looks like you need to use the tiller extension to reach the throttle. Seems annoying.

19 hours ago, floater said:

ps: its true. although I guess the cure is just to leave it home. not sure this design gonna age too well..

dufour-32-sailing-yacht-20.jpg

ok how are you supposed to see the  those instruments on the right hand side when you're on the tiller?  there's no way...

with the cabin cockpit windows there's no real place to put any sort of electronics that you'd want to see..

a hand held compass mounted above the companionway?    where's the chart plotter going to go?

All you have to do is flip the tiller over backwards, stand on the paddle board/swim platform to steer and you can see the instruments just fine, duh!

• Like 5
20 hours ago, PurpleOnion said:

Ed's just trying to show us he's still "edgy" even though he has a new boss.

idk. the evidence might be mounting in his favor. lol.

16 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

No backstay. Fat/square head main. 

At 1.24 the overhead shot clearly shows the wingfoiler boards are each on the wrong side.  F*cking landlubbers!  And the transom fender hasn't been stowed either.

If they were one of your advertisers you would have given it rave reviews. You race an old Ericson, please look in the mirror! Bet you wish you had this one.....it's a little bigger than you POS.  Fender included....

Ericson Yachts for sale

Okay. The floaty thingy on the back is clearly an accessory and can be removed easily. I get that. Appeals to the wake boarding crowd.

But everything else that has been pointed out (Lack of primary wenches, wacky mainsheet/traveler routing, hundreds of feet of line stacked up around the companionway, unused jib sail track forward of the mast, jib sheets led to cab top wenches through rope clutches, walking on the cockpit table, navigation and engine instruments way aft of tiller facing aft,.....etc.) make the boat look totally unsorted.

Like they got a team together to dream up ideas and allowed them to throw them all in the design because they didn't want to insult anybody if they nixed. Let the consumer sort it out I guess. 

On 1/18/2022 at 9:14 PM, Fleetwood said:

https://www.dufour-yachts.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/dufour-32-sailing-yacht-42.jpg

Is the main sheet bent - fouled by the assy sheet?

Came here to mention the same thing.  Either rubbing on the asym sheet, or the edge of the seat is going to be chafe city. 

This is pretty standard fare amongest the competition. The horrible looking inflatable bits are really the only new thing here - but they are not really permanent fixtures or essential parts of the boat.

Just understand what modern 32' high volume production boats look like - a large amount of them which also come from France - e.g. this looks a lot like the 2014 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 349 (also 32'). That boat has fat head main, twin wheels, multiple keel options, low friction rings for jib sheet leads etc. So does a Pogo 30 for that matter - different beast, same features (okay, maybe twin tillers, not a wheel option).

You can be sure this will be sold with lots of options - wheels, self tacker, drop down (conventional transom), table (or not), fathead/pinhead or in-mast reefing. And there looks to be a winch plinth under the helm cushion - so I guess that is where the kite's sheet lead should really go - if you got that option.

A big market for this is not the round the cans folks - it is the charter market. And that market (might) well love that awful blow up transom.... The only thing they missed was going BIG as the superyacht crowd seem to love https://www.superyachtmarinestore.com/inflatable-sea-pool/

10 minutes ago, Bilge Boy said:

The horrible looking inflatable bits are .. not really permanent fixtures..

they are not. my inflatable SUPs came with big warnings "do not leave in sun". I've been rendered kind of speechless at the thought that the boom wings are vinyl. are they really?

and as for making a transom platform out of a floating board - it doesn't work. anybody who's stepped from their boat onto a SUP knows what I'm talking about.

1 hour ago, Bilge Boy said:

This is pretty standard fare amongest the competition. The horrible looking inflatable bits are really the only new thing here - but they are not really permanent fixtures or essential parts of the boat.

Just understand what modern 32' high volume production boats look like - a large amount of them which also come from France - e.g. this looks a lot like the 2014 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 349 (also 32'). That boat has fat head main, twin wheels, multiple keel options, low friction rings for jib sheet leads etc. So does a Pogo 30 for that matter - different beast, same features (okay, maybe twin tillers, not a wheel option).

You can be sure this will be sold with lots of options - wheels, self tacker, drop down (conventional transom), table (or not), fathead/pinhead or in-mast reefing. And there looks to be a winch plinth under the helm cushion - so I guess that is where the kite's sheet lead should really go - if you got that option.

A big market for this is not the round the cans folks - it is the charter market. And that market (might) well love that awful blow up transom.... The only thing they missed was going BIG as the superyacht crowd seem to love https://www.superyachtmarinestore.com/inflatable-sea-pool/

I was going to argue the opposite.   From Annapolis and occasional perusing of builders' sites looking for a dream retirement boat (i.e. a small cruising boat not limited by the requirement to be tailorable, but not a live aboard or floating condo with staterooms for the kids and berths for grandkids.   Like housing and cars (at least in the states), the builders seem to have the philosophy 'if they can afford nice, they can afford bigger.  So lets make it bigger and not as nice'.   It was nice to see a smallish new cruiser being designed.   I'd like to play with one, to see how astute the ergonomic observations above are, but I kind of like it.   

What's the CE certification?   

To he honest, I like the boat too if I treat the inflatable bit at the back as a beach toy that only gets blown up once a year if I was lucky with the weather around here - but might be great fun for a different kind of sailing. The rest I like but would interested to know how it performed. It reminds me a little of the short-lived First 30 - but probably aspiring to be more of a cruiser from day 1. It seems to be just splashed so no real info on CE categories or options on the public Dufour website. 

But hey, it's not like I am rushing out to buy a brand new boat any day soon, so other than chartering,  maybe I am not the market!

Is this initial glossy advertising campaign perhaps relying on the gaudy mantra of “Any publicity is good publicity”?

Or perhaps targeting the OCD market amongst us that look at it and think: “If i could get that cheap enough, i could fix that stuff easily”?

Like the quiet,shy geeky girl with the strange fashion sense and the coke bottle glasses that everybody looks past….Maybe theres a wicked sexy freak hidden in there,worth getting to know, just waiting, untamed…………..

But yeah probably not, probably just more stubbed toes,barked shins and ply splinters from the furnishings blended with chafed cordage from poor CAD design choices and hurried advertising photoshoot deadlines.

good find. mystery solved. and so after all, this was just an exercise in marketing..

I'll admit I was initially taken in by the tiller, sprit, a-sails, but the old boat seems a more honest and better thought out version. Makes one wonder if any of these novelties will carry forward: inflatable transom platform (not likely), loss of primaries for butt pads (not likely), giant cockpit table stored underfoot (not likely), inflatable boom wings (not likely), jib sheets managed via block and tackle (interesting, but having a block system lying on the deck doesn't seem right), and the main sheet - still not sure what is going on there..