Jump to content

New Headsail: To bypass furler or use it?


Recommended Posts

Hello, 

We're speccing a new 155% headsail for our Pearson P26. Dimension polyant tri radial laminate material. 

It's equipped with a twin roller furling system. 

The question is: is it worth the extra hassle to bypass the furler and tack to the deck, or should we utilize the furler and sacrifice the extra sail area and speed? 

 

Thank you!

Justin

- SV Rhumb Runner P26 #1635

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’re not going offshore or racing PHRF, I’d just stick with the roller furler and enjoy the boat. You won’t need to tack the tack down to gain a few extra feet of airflow across the sails. Go have some fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he'll take a penalty if he makes the genoa larger than a 155%.  It may be worth it, I'm just saying it's something to be aware of.

We have a Tartan 27 that flies an oversized genoa. They outsail the penalty and beat up on everyone in their class.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey y'all, 

 

Thank you for the responses. I will take a penalty over 155% since I am racing PHRF. I haven't considered a bow watch yet but will think about the bluetooth camera as a solution. If you can see under the sail, that's lost sail area in my mind. 

 

Yes @Bull City we have a P26 just like that! Sail #1635. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhumb_Runner said:

Thank you for the responses. I will take a penalty over 155% since I am racing PHRF. I haven't considered a bow watch yet but will think about the bluetooth camera as a solution. If you can see under the sail, that's lost sail area in my mind.  

To echo what @Ajax said, in the 1970s I raced & sailed on a friend's Tartan 27 on Biscayne Bay. He too had a 170. He would reef the main before he would take it down.

Regarding lost sail area, if it's down low, I wonder how effective it is in terms of horsepower per square foot. I suspect it's low.

Can you fly an asymmetric?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bull City said:

Regarding lost sail area, if it's down low, I wonder how effective it is in terms of horsepower per square foot. I suspect it's low.

AIUI, the issue with raising the foot of the genoa is not the lost sail area.  It's the lost endplate effect.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2022 at 12:46 AM, TwoLegged said:

AIUI, the issue with raising the foot of the genoa is not the lost sail area.  It's the lost endplate effect.

I agree, the endplate effect would probably be a bigger lever in terms of lift than the increased sail area. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2022 at 12:46 AM, TwoLegged said:

AIUI, the issue with raising the foot of the genoa is not the lost sail area.  It's the lost endplate effect.

Well, blow me down! I just Googled that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...