Jump to content

Mast stepping tripod for Dragon Class


Recommended Posts

Not sure if it is viable, but someone in the German association sells a set.(2 leg variant, you'll have to ask for pics to check if it suits your needs)
https://www.drachenklasse.de/advert/mastlegevorrichtung-transportbox/

Between cost and shipping I have no idea if it works for you, but may be worth an attempt.

This is what I used years ago when I crewed for a dragon event. Technically can be done with one unless I recall wrongly, but two is definitely the comfortable variant.
https://www.tactix.de/shop/tactix/drachen-mastlegevorrichtung-teleskopisch
Note the measurements they posted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

you can further your research by googling "gin pole"

you just might stumble across a viable, less expensive way to skin that cat. 

I'm not familiar with dragons, but I've made my own gin poles for a variety of boats from 20 to 30 feet 

 

good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, allweather said:

Not sure if it is viable, but someone in the German association sells a set.(2 leg variant, you'll have to ask for pics to check if it suits your needs)
https://www.drachenklasse.de/advert/mastlegevorrichtung-transportbox/

Between cost and shipping I have no idea if it works for you, but may be worth an attempt.

This is what I used years ago when I crewed for a dragon event. Technically can be done with one unless I recall wrongly, but two is definitely the comfortable variant.
https://www.tactix.de/shop/tactix/drachen-mastlegevorrichtung-teleskopisch
Note the measurements they posted.

We used to use one like the second you link to. Apart from the massive German dude, he just picked the fucking thing up and stuck it in by hand on his own 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, European Bloke said:

he just picked the fucking thing up and stuck it in by hand on his own 

Wait, what? Seems like I really need to get out on a dragon again, I thought the masts where heavier than that...
Then again, I am not all that strong and walking up a mast that size is not that difficult, nor is carrying it solo, just unwieldy. Now lifting and stepping by hand... massive dude indeed :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, Kostis already commented on that video...

If it has to be a tripod, and barring accurate measurements, just get the lengths as stated in the second link and buy the third leg overlength so it can be cut to size at the boat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thank you all for your help, which is very useful.

Yes the nasty is light, i can pick it up and i am not strong guy at all. Needs to be lifted by its CoG and then turned up and pass it through the deck mast-opening. The tripod in the video is really what i think is best. I am sure it is easy to design one, but as always i am not trying to reinvent the wheel…

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2022 at 5:46 PM, Kostis Antonopoulos said:

I thank you all for your help, which is very useful.

Yes the nasty is light, i can pick it up and i am not strong guy at all. Needs to be lifted by its CoG and then turned up and pass it through the deck mast-opening. The tripod in the video is really what i think is best. I am sure it is easy to design one, but as always i am not trying to reinvent the wheel…

 

you can buy them ready for use...: https://petticrows.com/parts-miscellaneous/  (will cost a bit...)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...