Jump to content

B25 for Offshore? Looking for a Sportboat!


Recommended Posts

Any input in the B25? How do they compare to say a Hobie 33 for some offshore racing? I'm looking to buy something and currently looking at a Hobie and a B25. B25 is much closer to home. I am looking for something that has a retractable keel and easy to trailer. Any one know of a good sport boat been sold especially in the east coast. Would love a flying Tiger or something like that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the B25 and H33. I've done some quality time in both. Simple and they do what they're supposed to do however I would not take the B25 offshore. It's no Moore 24. Both designs are older now and will require some proper rebuilding unless you find one that's been done right. There a lot of butchered versions out there.

We've been sailing a Columbia 32 (non carbon version) that seems to be fitting the bill for the Coastal and Offshore stuff we are starting to do. Stick a modern squaretop main with twin backstays and a solid rudder and the thing will surprise you. Inboard sail drive and standing headroom a plus. The boat will plane rather easily and the higher freeboard with giant cockpit is so much nicer than a water blasting Hobie 33. Beginning to really like this boat.

Tigers may be readily available but they are bit more powered up and require some serious rail meat.

 

home7.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, silent bob said:

One did Transpac, in the Double Handed division.  I took them 18 days, most of it without radio contact.  Another Transpac effort was thwarted by a broken rudder.  

Thanks for the info. The B25 seem a fair bit slower. I have seen H33 finishing times as 11 to 12 days if not mistaken.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

I love the B25 and H33. I've done some quality time in both. Simple and they do what they're supposed to do however I would not take the B25 offshore. It's no Moore 24. Both designs are older now and will require some proper rebuilding unless you find one that's been done right. There a lot of butchered versions out there.

We've been sailing a Columbia 32 (non carbon version) that seems to be fitting the bill for the Coastal and Offshore stuff we are starting to do. Stick a modern squaretop main with twin backstays and a solid rudder and the thing will surprise you. Inboard sail drive and standing headroom a plus. The boat will plane rather easily and the higher freeboard with giant cockpit is so much nicer than a water blasting Hobie 33. Beginning to really like this boat.

Tigers may be readily available but they are bit more powered up and require some serious rail meat.

 

home7.jpg

Thanks, I just took a look at some specs of the Columbia32 I it does seem like an awesome boat def a better choice but I think they might be out of our price range for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They should be priced just a bit more than a Tiger. The Carbon version goes for more but if sailed properly, the 30/32 is no slouch. Either of these boats will have you smiling downwind.

If you want to save some greenbacks, another boat you can consider is the Olson 30. It goes a bit better in the light stuff than a Hobie and built better IMO. Sonoma 30 is another. These are 80's boats but still ULDB that can surf more than plane.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, silent bob said:

One did Transpac, in the Double Handed division.  I took them 18 days, most of it without radio contact.  Another Transpac effort was thwarted by a broken rudder.  

Two broken rudders,  actually.  Boat named Vapor.   They are the reason Transpac boats must have inboard power now - when they went incommunicado they worried the heck out of everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

Two broken rudders,  actually.  Boat named Vapor.   They are the reason Transpac boats must have inboard power now - when they went incommunicado they worried the heck out of everyone.

I met BillBoyd a few years ago.  Quite the character!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still miss the B25 I spent quite a few years on, but wouldn’t recommend it as an offshore boat. We had to reinforce/replace a LOT of things over the years. A simple example would be the head stay attachment having only fender washers instead of a backing plate. There were plenty more examples just like that. Our’s wasn’t legal for offshore anyway (no bow hatch), but even with all the reinforcements I wouldn’t have the warm and fuzzies going too far out to sea. Vapor was before it was a full production boat, so probably a bit more solid in the rigging/fitting out. 
 

Edit:  Having said that, if the world was fair, the B25 would’ve been what the J24 became. It’s a delightful W/L boat. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...