B25 for Offshore? Looking for a Sportboat!

Any input in the B25? How do they compare to say a Hobie 33 for some offshore racing? I'm looking to buy something and currently looking at a Hobie and a B25. B25 is much closer to home. I am looking for something that has a retractable keel and easy to trailer. Any one know of a good sport boat been sold especially in the east coast. Would love a flying Tiger or something like that. 

I love the B25 and H33. I've done some quality time in both. Simple and they do what they're supposed to do however I would not take the B25 offshore. It's no Moore 24. Both designs are older now and will require some proper rebuilding unless you find one that's been done right. There a lot of butchered versions out there.

We've been sailing a Columbia 32 (non carbon version) that seems to be fitting the bill for the Coastal and Offshore stuff we are starting to do. Stick a modern squaretop main with twin backstays and a solid rudder and the thing will surprise you. Inboard sail drive and standing headroom a plus. The boat will plane rather easily and the higher freeboard with giant cockpit is so much nicer than a water blasting Hobie 33. Beginning to really like this boat.

Tigers may be readily available but they are bit more powered up and require some serious rail meat.

home7.jpg

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, silent bob said:

One did Transpac, in the Double Handed division.  I took them 18 days, most of it without radio contact.  Another Transpac effort was thwarted by a broken rudder.  

Thanks for the info. The B25 seem a fair bit slower. I have seen H33 finishing times as 11 to 12 days if not mistaken.

13 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

I love the B25 and H33. I've done some quality time in both. Simple and they do what they're supposed to do however I would not take the B25 offshore. It's no Moore 24. Both designs are older now and will require some proper rebuilding unless you find one that's been done right. There a lot of butchered versions out there.

We've been sailing a Columbia 32 (non carbon version) that seems to be fitting the bill for the Coastal and Offshore stuff we are starting to do. Stick a modern squaretop main with twin backstays and a solid rudder and the thing will surprise you. Inboard sail drive and standing headroom a plus. The boat will plane rather easily and the higher freeboard with giant cockpit is so much nicer than a water blasting Hobie 33. Beginning to really like this boat.

Tigers may be readily available but they are bit more powered up and require some serious rail meat.

home7.jpg

Thanks, I just took a look at some specs of the Columbia32 I it does seem like an awesome boat def a better choice but I think they might be out of our price range for now.

They should be priced just a bit more than a Tiger. The Carbon version goes for more but if sailed properly, the 30/32 is no slouch. Either of these boats will have you smiling downwind.

If you want to save some greenbacks, another boat you can consider is the Olson 30. It goes a bit better in the light stuff than a Hobie and built better IMO. Sonoma 30 is another. These are 80's boats but still ULDB that can surf more than plane.

4 hours ago, silent bob said:

One did Transpac, in the Double Handed division.  I took them 18 days, most of it without radio contact.  Another Transpac effort was thwarted by a broken rudder.  

Two broken rudders,  actually.  Boat named Vapor.   They are the reason Transpac boats must have inboard power now - when they went incommunicado they worried the heck out of everyone.

5 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

Two broken rudders,  actually.  Boat named Vapor.   They are the reason Transpac boats must have inboard power now - when they went incommunicado they worried the heck out of everyone.

I met BillBoyd a few years ago.  Quite the character!  

I still miss the B25 I spent quite a few years on, but wouldn’t recommend it as an offshore boat. We had to reinforce/replace a LOT of things over the years. A simple example would be the head stay attachment having only fender washers instead of a backing plate. There were plenty more examples just like that. Our’s wasn’t legal for offshore anyway (no bow hatch), but even with all the reinforcements I wouldn’t have the warm and fuzzies going too far out to sea. Vapor was before it was a full production boat, so probably a bit more solid in the rigging/fitting out. 

Edit:  Having said that, if the world was fair, the B25 would’ve been what the J24 became. It’s a delightful W/L boat. 

• Like 1