Alternate Dem Nominee 2024?

Say Biden ages out or something, 2024 is wide open given how unpop VP Harris continues to be. (I bet Harris is sorry she gave up that Senate Sinecure now.)  I'd like to see someone "new" in the candidate pool. It would be great to have an exciting candidate but failing that who do ya think?

I’m torn between those two patriotic centrists, Manchin and Sinema. And while you’re here, why don’t you go ahead and smash that Like button? It really helps out the channel.

35 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

I’m torn between those two patriotic centrists, Manchin and Sinema. And while you’re here, why don’t you go ahead and smash that Like button? It really helps out the channel.

I was going to give that a downvote but...

Biden was aged out 10 years ago but since we realistically only have two choices it was not a difficult decision.  If it is between Biden and TFG, I will be voting against TFG (or just about anyone the Republicans will put up) again.  I would hope the Dems could come up with someone I would want to vote for.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, bridhb said:

I was going to

Sherrod Brown oh Ahia would be good - a smart and solid progressive. 

Kamala would be OK, but not my first choice. I don't see why we have to put her at the head of the group just because she is VP.  

There are lots of good Dems out there. 

There are plenty of good Dems out there. I think I listed pretty much the only two I don't like.

I could easily vote for Biden. I could vote for others. Hillary, Buttigieg, Stacey Abrams. Harris.

Don't feel too sorry for Harris. Gavin Newsom will be re-elected but then term limited out in 2027 and Harris were she to run, would be the clear favorite. I suppose if you're making lists, you'd have to include Newsom in 2024 as well.

5 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

There are plenty of good Dems out there. I think I listed pretty much the only two I don't like.

I could easily vote for Biden. I could vote for others. Hillary, Buttigieg, Stacey Abrams. Harris.

Don't feel too sorry for Harris. Gavin Newsom will be re-elected but then term limited out in 2027 and Harris were she to run, would be the clear favorite. I suppose if you're making lists, you'd have to include Newsom in 2024 as well.

Gavin will certainly run if there's an open-season on Joe's seat, but he's pretty good at deferring to his Senior. Unlike DeSatan.

21 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Maybe Hogan can switch parties :lol:

He's too flippy-floppy.  Can't decide if he wants to be a good, obedient Republican or a leader.

For a while there, he impressed with his response to COVID.  He seemed to be acting out of concern for ALL Marylanders.  Then, he reverted to form.

6 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

He's too flippy-floppy.  Can't decide if he wants to be a good, obedient Republican or a leader.

For a while there, he impressed with his response to COVID.  He seemed to be acting out of concern for ALL Marylanders.  Then, he reverted to form.

He is really trying to walk a tightrope between being a good Republican and a good governor. What he sadly does not realize is that his refusal to worship Trump and all of his works has permanently barred him from any future in the party on the national stage, so his balancing act is useless.

22 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

He is really trying to walk a tightrope between being a good Republican and a good governor. What he sadly does not realize is that his refusal to worship Trump and all of his works has permanently barred him from any future in the party on the national stage, so his balancing act is useless.

Completely agree.

When he came into office and canceled the Red Line in Baltimore, I was pissed.  He followed that up with a state map in which Baltimore City did not even exist (see below).  In nearly $2 billion in transportation expenditures, Baltimore received nothing.  Nada.  Much of the money intended for the Red Line, which would have done wonders for east/west travel in Baltimore, long known for a state-run (STATE-RUN!) mass transit system that, well, sucks, went to improving highways to Ocean City. 

When COVID hit, I reversed and became a fan.  He was leading and acting like a Governor should act - in the best interest of all citizens.  He has been outspoken WRT to The Former Guy.  But, that seems to be waning.

MCG7ALPTXBCUPEAQLHHLIEK73U.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Gavin will certainly run if there's an open-season on Joe's seat, but he's pretty good at deferring to his Senior. Unlike DeSatan.

Will his ex-wife go on stage and unintelligbly scream on his behalf? 

Adam Schiff was real good during the Impeachments. His writing was so right on. I thought one of those summaries he gave was like something Hal Holbrooke would read. He's a jock and a Jew and Harvard Law Review. A savvy intellect. The religion only hurts votes he wasn't going to get anyway. 

"some sort of centrist-type governor" mentioned above, makes me think why not ours, John Bel Edwards?  I didn't expect too much of him at first, but he's been a steady hand through the pandemic and hurricanes, compassionate, good legislator, good communicator, consensus-type, doesn't make it "all about him".

Problem is that type of persona isn't all that "exciting".  Plus, as a staunch Catholic, he won't be supporting the right to choose.  And no Washington experience, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on one's view of DC.

46 minutes ago, nolatom said:

"some sort of centrist-type governor" mentioned above, makes me think why not ours, John Bel Edwards?  I didn't expect too much of him at first, but he's been a steady hand through the pandemic and hurricanes, compassionate, good legislator, good communicator, consensus-type, doesn't make it "all about him".

Problem is that type of persona isn't all that "exciting".  Plus, as a staunch Catholic, he won't be supporting the right to choose.  And no Washington experience, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on one's view of DC.

May not mean that much, given the current makeup of the SCOTUS and the relative youth of those who appear willing to dismantle Roe.  The NEXT President may get a shot at replacing Thomas.

you can all relax, i already bought the next few, so called, elections. things will turn out great for me. i have the best false electors, belief me.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

May not mean that much, given the current makeup of the SCOTUS and the relative youth of those who appear willing to dismantle Roe.  The NEXT President may get a shot at replacing Thomas.

We might have some anti-vaxxers on the court. So there is hope.

(Oh, did I really write that?)

3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

We might have some anti-vaxxers on the court. So there is hope.

(Oh, did I really write that?)

I would imagine, the perps on the supreme court, are in a supreme bubble, with respect to covid. justice for life, is only for life. fuck gorsuch.

4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Say Biden ages out or something, 2024 is wide open given how unpop VP Harris continues to be. (I bet Harris is sorry she gave up that Senate Sinecure now.)  I'd like to see someone "new" in the candidate pool. It would be great to have an exciting candidate but failing that who do ya think?

If you believe the pundits, the institutional democrats are starting to line up behind Buttigieg.  Expect him to bail out as Transportation Secretary in by May 2023, IF he can improve his ad hoc skills.

His documentary was BAD ... I'd much rather vote for  his hubby than him.  Buttigieg came across as an improved AI version of Zuckerberg - fucking robot waiting for the producers to tell him what to say.

I can't see it NOT Joe - my hopes are for 2028.

Mayor Pete would run away with the election if only he would STFU about anything having to do with his sexual preference. 
but he can’t 

so America can’t have the most intellectually honest potus candidate since Carter. And perhaps the best all around package since IKE. 

klobachar wouid be a pretty decent POTUS but America simply won’t elect a woman and certainly not one with zero physical appeal. 

AOC would be a lot of fun. I would LOVE to see an AOC vs Gropenfuhrer debate. His nuts would recede up past his naval and he might simply run off the stage half way through. 

if the Dems want to win, they need to start turning some potential candidates into national celebrities. 
i bet 80% of Americans do not know how to answer:

Tell me something about Gavin Newsom

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

AOC would be a lot of fun. I would LOVE to see an AOC vs Gropenfuhrer debate. His nuts would recede up past his naval and he might simply run off the stage half way through. 

if the Dems want to win, they need to start turning some potential candidates into national celebrities. 
i bet 80% of Americans do not know how to answer:

AOC and I share the same birthday, I just checked, she turns 35 a few weeks before the 2024 election.

On Gavin, he has an ex-wife I wouldn't fuck, good enough?

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

AOC and I share the same birthday, I just checked, she turns 35 a few weeks before the 2024 election.

You just demonstrated you know more about each of them than 90% of Americans. 

21 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Well, hell, I have an ex-wife I wouldn't fuck.  But he does have pretty good hair. 

There are plenty of good Democratic party people to pick from, trouble is, they're Democrats, and they all have some sort of skeleton in the closet. This matters to Democrats. It does not matter to Republicans, who actually seem to prefer Republican candidates with the morals of alley cats, and the honesty of Joe Isuzu. They're "bad boys", and the sluts who vote for them get all squishy feeling between the legs just thinking about them.

19 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

There are plenty of good Democratic party people to pick from, trouble is, they're Democrats, and they all have some sort of skeleton in the closet. This matters to Democrats. It does not matter to Republicans, who actually seem to prefer Republican candidates with the morals of alley cats, and the honesty of Joe Isuzu. They're "bad boys", and the sluts who vote for them get all squishy feeling between the legs just thinking about them.

I see no one on the Democratic side that would gain votes from Republicans. As it stands, it is straight party votes which just continues the shitshow. The only good thing in this is that there are no Republicans worth a shit either.

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Adam Schiff was real good during the Impeachments. His writing was so right on. I thought one of those summaries he gave was like something Hal Holbrooke would read. He's a jock and a Jew and Harvard Law Review. A savvy intellect. The religion only hurts votes he wasn't going to get anyway. 

Interesting that the Dems often pick very bright individuals like Clinton (Bill and even Hillary) and Obama and the Reps are happy with less bright guys like TFG, Bush the Lesser, and Reagan.

4 hours ago, nolatom said:

58 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I see no one on the Democratic side that would gain votes from Republicans. As it stands, it is straight party votes which just continues the shitshow. The only good thing in this is that there are no Republicans worth a shit either.

A candidate like Nolatom describes would appeal the a portion of self identified Republicans,   Abortion is a lost cause.   If the governor has gun cred he could win red states despite voter suppression.    Maybe they could start a conspiracy theory that he killed a black junky,  assuring the Republican vote. 

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

I disagree.  There are --- People like Tulsi Gabbard, Andrew Yang, and even Bernie Sanders - yes BERNIE! - was remarkably good at picking up votes from disaffected Republicans.  The problem is any democrat that would appeal to republicans aren't 'real' democrats - they're just 'dinos'.  The loudest and most active supporters support extreme positions.  The same goes for moderate republicans.   

I saw an analysis on financial media that was spot on - websites like "Seeking Alpha" literally alternate 'pro' can 'con' on given stocks and their algorithm just pushes whichever gets the most clicks.  They don't care.  At all.  About what's 'right or wrong'.  They care about clicks.   That's how they make money.  Confirmation bias is their business model.

If you want moderate candidates, then vote for moderate candidates. Give money to moderate candidates.  Watch videos by moderate candidates.  Like and subscribe to moderate candidates.  Its really not hard.

But it's not what the majority wants.  Its just not.  The clicks prove it. The donations prove it.  The follows and followers prove it.

We like the shit show.  We like it in the US.  We like it in the UK.  We like it in France, Australia, etc.  Welcome to the human condition.  You may not like it.  I certainly don't like it.  But collectively, we do like it.  The way to change it is to change it.   Don't listen to the nonsense channels.

17 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

He'll get his hat handed to him in the primary debates - no matter how much training and preparation he gets. Abrams and Warren will rip him a new one.  He has never really had to work at getting elected, nor really had an opponent that had some punch to give him a real challenge.  Remember, California will elect a ham sandwich over a republican any day... like there is really a difference with what Team R has been producing lately.

I am seeing a ticket that may have Roy Copper and Stacy Abrams up against Mike DeWine and Nikki Haley.

15 hours ago, d'ranger said:

I vote we revisit this a year from now. Nonstop elections are just tiring and unproductive - see TFG for an example.

Agree with the sentiment, but 2 years from now.

30 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

He'll get his hat handed to him in the primary debates - no matter how much training and preparation he gets. Abrams and Warren will rip him a new one.  He has never really had to work at getting elected, nor really had an opponent that had some punch to give him a real challenge.  Remember, California will elect a ham sandwich over a republican any day... like there is really a difference with what Team R has been producing lately.

I am seeing a ticket that may have Roy Copper and Stacy Abrams up against Mike DeWine and Nikki Haley.

Funny the hatred for a guy who was just a small business dude who liked city politics.  Was it a wine shop?

4 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

A wine shop and businesses that were bought and paid for by who again?

You’re the conspiracy dude, you tell us.

1 hour ago, Ventucky Red said:

That's pretty accurate. To be clear, CA Republicans haven't elected anything better than a moldy ham sandwich. Typically their route would be Congress or Mayor of San Diego. After the recall, Faulconer is toast and the Republican House doesn't have anyone who can run statewide. Even Larry Elder is giving the election a pass.

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Funny the hatred for a guy who was just a small business dude who liked city politics.  Was it a wine shop?

Gavin was certainly groomed. He has had it easy. He's a product of the SF machine, what used to be the Burton Brown machine. He was bankrolled by the Gettys. He was gifted his first Board of Supervisors seat by Brown. (Board of Supes doesn't pay much. So Brown could easily offer members a well paying appointed gig and then fill that seat with someone like Newsom.) He and Guilfoyle were Kennedy-esque. She was a former assistant-DA but then got talent spotted by Fox and given a NY gig, bright light big city, .... Yeah, he ran Plump Jack. So he actually does have a feel for small business. But let's be honest. Plump Jack lives on the kindness of rich people. Yeah, Gavin has had life greased. He's not a terrible politician but then he's not Jerry Brown either. Jerry's the GOAT.

BTW, I do not think Harris was the product of the Burton Brown machine (despite her having dated Brown). She didn't get her first two political seats by getting appointed. She worked her way up, for the Alameda DA, the SF DA and then the SF City Attorney. She ran for City Attorney on her own. That's actually a very tough fight for a first office against an incumbent (Terrence Hallinan, an interesting figure in his own right). She's risen fast but she's always taken the tougher road. She didn't fight the machine (Matt Gonzolez, Art Agnos, Feinstein (yuck) were independent as well. Pelosi was.) I would classify Harris as novus homo.

This all is not say the Burton Brown machine is terrible. It isn't or rather it wasn't. But it's kind of over what with Rose Pak gone, Brown old, the great Pelosi in the twilight of her career. Newsom is the last graduate. So when he shows up at the Getty wedding, it's kind of a high school reunion of sorts. I don't know what to make of London Breed (I don't live there anymore) but I don't think she goes anywhere after mayor. Brown himself (and I am no fan) has said the bench is empty. Breed may be able to run for Pelosi's seat. I really have no idea who runs in that election.

5 minutes ago, Olsonist said:
1 hour ago, Ventucky Red said:

He'll get his hat handed to him in the primary debates  (Newsom)...  ...

That's pretty accurate.

I happen to like NC Gov. Roy Cooper but he's never said a single word AFAIK about running for national office when his 2nd term is up. The usual for NC Governors is to run for Senate. Has anybody at all, other than VR, mentioned him as a potential 2024 Pres candidate?

- DSK

12 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I happen to like NC Gov. Roy Cooper but he's never said a single word AFAIK about running for national office when his 2nd term is up. The usual for NC Governors is to run for Senate. Has anybody at all, other than VR, mentioned him as a potential 2024 Pres candidate?

- DSK

If he has no national name recognition, and he doesn't, then he's in the VP race. He's declined to run for Senate in 2022 which means waiting for Tillis in 2026.

Before the primaries there is a pre-race for the donors, the local chairs, campaign managers, .... Jimmy Carter ran for President in 1972 for about a weekend but it was really to get his name out there. Then he followed that up with recruitment letters to the Democratic county chairs. W the Stupid sort of did the same thing except that he never worked very hard. The Republican county chairs came to Texas and dropped off tribute checks.

8 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

If he has no national name recognition, and he doesn't, then he's in the VP race. He's declined to run for Senate in 2022 which means waiting for Tillis in 2026.

Before the primaries there is a pre-race for the donors, the local chairs, campaign managers, .... Jimmy Carter ran for President in 1972 for about a weekend but it was really to get his name out there. Then he followed that up with recruitment letters to the Democratic county chairs. W the Stupid sort of did the same thing except that he never worked very hard. The Republican county chairs came to Texas and dropped off tribute checks.

Yeah, Bush The Stupid's claim to fame and frontrunnerhood is that his Daddy was President. Didn't work for Jeb, who actually did a good job.

I've gotten the impression that Gov. Roy doesn't have ambition for higher office after this. In a way it's a shame, he's a very capable, inherently nice man. But I also think he's had a bellyful of dealing with arrogant dumbass racist Republicans.

- DSK

On 1/21/2022 at 1:28 PM, bridhb said:

I was going to give that a downvote but...

Biden was aged out 10 years ago but since we realistically only have two choices it was not a difficult decision.  If it is between Biden and TFG, I will be voting against TFG (or just about anyone the Republicans will put up) again.  I would hope the Dems could come up with someone I would want to vote for.

It would be nice to have a candidate that you vote for instead of ones you're voting against, didn't vote in 2016 for that reason

to me the ideal ticket would be Adam Kinzinger and AOC, fuck both parties, The one that got screw out of running is Bernie

• Like 1
On 1/21/2022 at 6:25 PM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Interesting that the Dems often pick very bright individuals like Clinton (Bill and even Hillary) and Obama and the Reps are happy with less bright guys like TFG, Bush the Lesser, and Reagan.

It's not exactly rocket surgery if your entire platform is democrats are evil, fuck the environment, women are good for nothing but Sammiches and babymaking, and anyone not white is just a suspect in waiting.

• Like 1
On 1/21/2022 at 12:34 PM, Blue Crab said:

Whoever that might be, it's a certainty it won't be someone who represents the people, honors his or her oath of office or gives a shit about democracy.

The candidate will, however, have shown a stellar history of raising money for the party.

• Like 1