Gill stuff is good quantity . Most of my sailing kit is from them from boots at one end to my hat at the other :D

I cannot really comment on these hikers as the ones I have from Gill don’t have battens in them but it they are as good as mine they should be great . 

• Like 1

Most British designed kit is great, they have a lot of competition between suppliers and a huge market so anything substandard will not be accepted in the marketplace.

• Like 1

If you can try a pair on it would help you decide. What I've found is the height of the pads on your thighs varies from make to make. The best solution is pads that Velcro in. Personally I've had many pairs over the years and you learn and adapt to the hikers you've got. The last two pairs I've had were Rooster Classics, as they work for me. Also you want a tight fit, as neoprene stretches quite a bit when wet & the pads will move. I buy a size smaller than suggested, small rather than the guide size of medium & I'm still pulling them up during a race! 

I don't know if you've worn hikers before? They take time to get used to & I have friends who never got on with them. Me I can't sail without them!

If these hikers are within your budget, I say go for it.:D

Another tip, wear a pair of Lycra/spandex shorts over the top, it stops the pads wearing & replacing shorts is much cheaper!

• Like 2

I have that Gill model and my only complaint is that the shoulder straps keep falling down while on the boat. Next time I think I'll try the SEA ones with the waistband.

1 hour ago, Rum Runner said:

I have that Gill model and my only complaint is that the shoulder straps keep falling down while on the boat. Next time I think I'll try the SEA ones with the waistband.

This is a common problem. Try crossing the straps in front or tie a small piece of line to held the straps close together in front.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, surf nazi said:

This is a common problem. Try crossing the straps in front or tie a small piece of line to held the straps close together in front.

I cross the straps over across my chest, works perfectly for me.:D 

• Like 3