.. starts this weekend.

I couldn't find a dedicated thread (other than under the general IMOCA thread where Huey has been posting some pics of starters) so I've started one.   It will be interesting to see how everyone fares after the winter refits or in boats new to them....

24 IMOCAs on the start list...

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

That URL for me redirects to 2019 tracker. I using:

https://www.guyaderbermudes1000race.com/

Strange, made an error but corrected it, something with the forum software I guess, below one shoulld go to the 2022 race :

https://guyaderbermudes1000race.geovoile.com/2022/tracker/

By the way Nicolas Lunven is doing great on the BP non foiler (the one Clarisse C will do the VG with)

Who has the lightest boat? Heaviest?

Any wgt number on H. Boss ‘18?    Would guess Pip in Medalia was the heaviest in ‘18?

Nicolas Lunven 4 on BP and Conrad 9, not bad for the two first non foilers (but the conditions are going to be "pro foils" more and more up to the fastnet).

HB 2016 Benjamin Dutreux 12

HB 2020 Alan Roura 16

Louis Burton on Bureau Vallée 13

Apivia shining again ...

• Like 1

It looks at the moment like "to he that hath shall be given"..   the three front runners caught  earlier wind,  and a quite a spread in the fleet so quickly..  I haven't looked at the forecast, but it must be dispiriting for those who didn't get a good start/

On 5/8/2022 at 3:11 PM, yl75 said:

By the way Nicolas Lunven is doing great on the BP non foiler (the one Clarisse C will do the VG with)

Actually this is not the boat Clarisse will race the VG2024 on.

Banque Pop' hired it from Tanguy Le Turquais (who bought the boat for the VG2024 but has no sponsor to be able to race in 2022) so Clarisse - his wife - could race in 2022 and build qualification miles whilst she is waiting to get Apivia 1 after Apivia 2 will be launched in 2023. This will then become the new Banque Pop' IMOCA for the VG2024.

Clarisse being pregnant, Banque Pop' hired Lunven to race the Guyader and Vendée Arctic races. Suprisingly, they haven't said anything about him doing the Route du Rhum on that boat, as Clarisse will defo not race as she is due around then. Maybe that's because he is also involved with Armel on the Banque Pop' Ultim - coaching, performance analysis and weather/routing. Guess we'll know more in a few months.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Actually this is not the boat Clarisse will race the VG2024 on.

Banque Pop' hired it from Tanguy Le Turquais (who bought the boat for the VG2024 but has no sponsor to be able to race in 2022) so Clarisse - his wife - could race in 2022 and build qualification miles whilst she is waiting to get Apivia 1 after Apivia 2 will be launched in 2023. This will then become the new Banque Pop' IMOCA for the VG2024.

Clarisse being pregnant, Banque Pop' hired Lunven to race the Guyader and Vendée Arctic races. Suprisingly, they haven't said anything about him doing the Route du Rhum on that boat, as Clarisse will defo not race as she is due around then. Maybe that's because he is also involved with Armel on the Banque Pop' Ultim - coaching, performance analysis and weather/routing. Guess we'll know more in a few months.

I believe Banque Pop is not participating it the Rhum, surprising to me.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, eltelatron said:

Any word on why 11th hour didn't enter this one?

I don't know but have they finished all the work they've been doing to the boat? I have a sneaking suspicion perhaps not.? 

Just caught up with the tracker this morning;

Positions 1 to 4 no real surprise (Apivia, Charal, LinkdOut and Bureau Valle)

Lunven in 5th on Banque Pop is a solid effort so far but it seems like he's being slowly rolled by the foilers around him

Conrad in 10th on his 'return' is pretty awesome and he's in a pack that could see him climb more places

Alan Roura in 14th is disappointing - I was hoping he'd get that boat really lit up but maybe he's being conservative on his first competitive outing?

Especially considering Benjamin Dutreaux in the previous Boss is lying 6th

16th for Pip right now

Nicolas Troussel and Corum look to be heading home for another early shower 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

The Banque Pop 60 is not going to be in the Rhum. The other little boat will though...

armel-le-cleac-h-maxi-banque-populaire-ix-ultim-p9ijk8xymhqzhapaarugwws6gvrr2jgqxz0se38ndk.thumb.jpg.1c59b04cbc56975b5221302a711fd51b.jpg

10 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Maybe they only hired the old boat for the 2 first races...

• Like 1

Apivia, Charlie Dalin, convincingly on top.
 1491627014_GuyarderBermudes1000miles.thumb.png.497a23f17ec684ad816f9c8e2b94d243.png
It's his 38 th birthday today.
1591323249_ApiviaCharlieDalin2.thumb.jpg.4e83472d10a870470ab135a737293faf.jpg
Bussines before pleasure, could imagine anotherway to spend your birthday.
On the other hand; I think a lot of anarchist would want to be in his position at the moment.

Something is wrong on Linkedout with Thomas Ruyant. He is sailing in the wrong direction at 5 knots... He was third, though... Bummer.

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

Something is wrong on Linkedout with Thomas Ruyant. He is sailing in the wrong direction at 5 knots... He was third, though... Bummer.

(autotranslated)

FLASH / Technical problem on board the LinkedOut sailboat Thomas Ruyant, engaged in the Guyader Bermuda 1000 Race, experienced a break in the steering system of his LinkedOut sailboat last night. He then put his sailboat on the cape while waiting for the wind to drop and then regained control of his boat by steering manually. The Dunkirk navigator is doing well. He is heading for the coast trying to solve his technical problem. He informed the race management of this edition of the Guyader Bermuda 1000 Race that he was abandoned.

• Like 3

Pretty damn exciting to see these 60' flyers racing again. Sadly, the attrition rate's a bit excessive already.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jasper7427 said:

Anyone know what happened to Linkedout?

Pretty impressive job by Banque Populaire up in 5th.

re. Linked out: read up three posts! damage to steering system

• Like 1
10 hours ago, wildbirdtoo said:

(autotranslated)

FLASH / Technical problem on board the LinkedOut sailboat Thomas Ruyant, engaged in the Guyader Bermuda 1000 Race, experienced a break in the steering system of his LinkedOut sailboat last night. He then put his sailboat on the cape while waiting for the wind to drop and then regained control of his boat by steering manually. The Dunkirk navigator is doing well. He is heading for the coast trying to solve his technical problem. He informed the race management of this edition of the Guyader Bermuda 1000 Race that he was abandoned.

Thanks for the info.

The bold section is just poor word for word automatic translation. As you most likely figured out, what they meant is that he had to heave to.

In French: Mettre à la cape = In English: to heave to.

• Like 5

Apivia (Charlie) is really impressive, he kept increasing his lead all the time (except after having passed the fastnet and the others still heading to it) :

643642879_Capturedecran2022-05-11a21_16_04.thumb.png.d295d454f1c1e7a037a3cd46a5fc9597.png

Let's see what Clarisse can do with this boat in the next VG!

Standout performance from, Charlie aboard APIVIA again. Pretty impressed with Nicolas Lunven aboard Banque Populaire (the front-running non-foiler).

And can you 'Imagine' Conrad Colman (hopefully, the comeback kid for VG 2024) in the top 10 at the moment. Awesome job.

GUYOT is showing up reasonably well, but then she's always been a fast boat (originally, Hugo Boss - and then, 11th Hour Racing) launched back in 2015

'Imagine' still in the top 10. Pretty damn good for the 2nd legacy boat, thus far. Way to go, Conrad!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

GUYOT is showing up reasonably well, but then she's always been a fast boat (originally, Hugo Boss - and then, 11th Hour Racing) launched back in 2015

'Imagine' still in the top 10. Pretty damn good for the 2nd legacy boat, thus far. Way to go, Conrad!

Isabelle Joschke having excellent race, bit surprised Hublot/Roura not better but early days for that project. The 2015 ex Hugo Boss boat appears faster than the 2019 version.

• Like 1
On 5/14/2022 at 2:21 PM, Jean-Baptiste said:

bit surprised Hublot/Roura not better but early days for that project.

I can only imagine the change-up for that team from their old boat into this current weapon is huge. I'm also assuming that the performance windows for the top tier boats are incredibly narrow - to get sail, foil and steering trim all aligned to hit the polars must be very specific and probably with big performance drops for only small 'errors'. 

I'm curious as to how much 'IP' you get from the old team when you buy a used IMOCA? Do they give you ALL the data or just a basic set of polars and the 'how to turn the engine on' style playbook? Or this part of the price negotiation? 

2 hours ago, NZK said:

I can only imagine the change-up for that team from their old boat into this current weapon is huge. I'm also assuming that the performance windows for the top tier boats are incredibly narrow - to get sail, foil and steering trim all aligned to hit the polars must be very specific and probably with big performance drops for only small 'errors'. 

I'm curious as to how much 'IP' you get from the old team when you buy a used IMOCA? Do they give you ALL the data or just a basic set of polars and the 'how to turn the engine on' style playbook? Or this part of the price negotiation? 

It's part of the price negotiation, like container contents, spares, labour handover,  etc. The data gained is as valuable as anything else.

HW 

14 minutes ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

It's part of the price negotiation, like container contents, spares, labour handover,  etc. The data gained is as valuable as anything else.

Thanks, I figured as much but wasn't certain.