Gulf of maine scuttlebut

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Oucho is out and unrigged. I'll be on the 'rack. I got a PHAT ride for Sunday too, Bitchez!

G

Word!

All over that action...

DYC has the most PHAT ride for Sunday's Cruising Regatta.

Gonna be fun. Even D is sailing!

Who's hitting the water on Sat.

I will be on the Mouch -The dito is sitting this one out.

What boats are showing?

Scharmouch

Tamarck

Wiley

BDP?

Revo Oucho?

Pain Killer?

Kaos?

Revo2?

???

???

Revolution II is out of comission: blew the motor up (for real this time) delivering back from Marblehead. Ed is currently taking offers. Hasn't anyone noticed she's been lingering around Handy for quite a while now?

St. Jean, that sounds like ed is going to be looking for a new boat ("Ed is now taking offers")--if so, may I be so bold as to suggest this:

Revo III?

From what I have heard she is in great shape and that would make for some pretty cool match racing, no? Although, I suspect that rating will drop 6 pts were she to move to maine.

Also, congrats on your season, and finally, go smack Nate (in your design office) in the back of the head for me. He'll know why.

Cheers.

St. Jean, that sounds like ed is going to be looking for a new boat ("Ed is now taking offers")--if so, may I be so bold as to suggest this:

Revo III?

From what I have heard she is in great shape and that would make for some pretty cool match racing, no? Although, I suspect that rating will drop 6 pts were she to move to maine.

Also, congrats on your season, and finally, go smack Nate (in your design office) in the back of the head for me. He'll know why.

Cheers.

Now that would be fun............but be prepared for a 9 point drop. (+6 to -3) -Boats are just faster in Maine. She is the sister ship to the current Bandito yet lighter. So if Ed makes that move and MAx (or Papa Max) step up with a (0) rater. Throw in BDP, Bandito, PK and damn 2007 is looking fun.

It will still be a good time when Revo II returns and Max shows up with (7) J24's :P

Now that would be fun............but be prepared for a 9 point drop. (+6 to -3) -Boats are just faster in Maine. She is the sister ship to the current Bandito yet lighter. So if Ed makes that move and MAx (or Papa Max) step up with a (0) rater. Throw in BDP, Bandito, PK and damn 2007 is looking fun.

It will still be a good time when Revo II returns and Max shows up with (7) J24's :P

I thought the dragon removal was the reason for the rating drop.

1 more year on current revo II for sure, provided a new motor can be stolen and installed w/o us all going to jail. ed has decided he wnts to take up waterskiing, so he is looking for something in the 250-450 hp range, bored out big block, ultralight of course. which will be a lot of fun for the kids, tubing and whatnot. if a RC screws up, we can jump on a ski and throw a wall over them. good times ahead.

1 more year on current revo II for sure, provided a new motor can be stolen and installed w/o us all going to jail. ed has decided he wnts to take up waterskiing, so he is looking for something in the 250-450 hp range, bored out big block, ultralight of course. which will be a lot of fun for the kids, tubing and whatnot. if a RC screws up, we can jump on a ski and throw a wall over them. good times ahead.

like, say, one of these?

a tad too much horsepower, but think how cool it would be with the carbs sticking up through the foredeck!!

post-5126-1158606308.gif

:lol::lol:

/c

What the f are they f'in thinkin' starting at 10:30!

That is truly an ungodly hour to start a boat race!

Maybe because it's a longish race and maybe they want to give the POS fleet an opportunity to finish before dark?

Maybe because it's a longish race and maybe they want to give the POS fleet an opportunity to finish before dark?

Can the crusing fleet drift that much faster against the current with not wind at 10:30AM? It's still a long way off but the sailflow prediction is for 2-3 kts of wind until 12:00 then it picks up to a whopping 6kts. Figures my old light one would not last for one more race :angry: On the up side I've got pleanty of material for new duffel bags.

hilarious

two mini kegs strapped the the stanchions and a radio blarring strapped to the backstay. what a sweet ride

I think I drive best with distractions

thanks for the fun soggy

You're very welcome, glad that you had a good birthday!!

hey gmora sailors....

with our off season rapidly approaching i was trying to think of something cool to do... (yes, the 'motivational meetings' at platinum are fun and all, but i wanted to try and include everybody)...

what say you, to keep our competitive juices flowing, we do a group race at maine indoor carting??

i quickly did the math and we can get the whole track to ourselves for a 'grand prix' (practice, qualifying, and race) for around 38 bucks a person.... (that would be for 16 people racing, if you want more specifics, check out the website)....

i thought it might be fun....

/c

hey gmora sailors....

with our off season rapidly approaching i was trying to think of something cool to do... (yes, the 'motivational meetings' at platinum are fun and all, but i wanted to try and include everybody)...

what say you, to keep our competitive juices flowing, we do a group race at maine indoor carting??

i quickly did the math and we can get the whole track to ourselves for a 'grand prix' (practice, qualifying, and race) for around 38 bucks a person.... (that would be for 16 people racing, if you want more specifics, check out the website)....

/c

I did this outside of boston a couple of years ago it was fun.

There was a bar at the place so.........kitty's in.

there's a bar..............yeh it would actually hurt to miss something like that. The "Winter SA/GMORA KArt racing championship of the world"

We've got to make it a Fall event...I foresee a ski outing for the winter event...lots of bars at Sugarloaf. Besides I might even be able to win a few of those races.

me, kitty, soggy, sshow, dirtdog......

c'mon!

this is starting to smack of one of the aforementioned 'motivational meetings'!! :lol::lol: young'uns? members of the female persuasion? this was supposed be an event for y'all as well!! we want to get 16 people or else the costs go up....

sometime in november maybe?.... i just don't know how long we have to book in advance....

/chris

hey gmora sailors....

/c

This sounds alot more exciting to me than a motivational meeting at platinum, count me in. Just let me know a few weeeks in advance so I can schedule the day off.

hey gmora sailors....

/c

course you did... There's motors.

G

Pretty sure the one up here is free of bars. I've heard they are pretty strict about people being sober as well.

G

i think you might be right... but even I can be sober for an hour or so....

(granted, it's never been proven, but i'm confident)

/c

i think you might be right... but even I can be sober for an hour or so....

(granted, it's never been proven, but i'm confident)

/c

What they've got a thing about drinking and driving...go figure??

I think that there are a lot of lerkers out there that may be interested, but too shy to post. If that's the case send an email to info@pain-killer.org. I won't reveal any names just be nice to have a solid head count.

me, kitty, soggy, sshow, dirtdog......c'mon! this is starting to smack of one of the aforementioned 'motivational meetings'!! :lol::lol: young'uns? members of the female persuasion? this was supposed be an event for y'all as well!! we want to get 16 people or else the costs go up....sometime in november maybe?.... i just don't know how long we have to book in advance....

/chris

If its in November I'm in....

Suider,

Since this will be SA/GMORA semi-sanctioned event we'll need a NOR and a protest committee unless rubbing is racing means anything goes. Also, I believe that SA events require a post race party somewhere.

Soggy

Did you say party?

Count me in.

Is it just like sailing, you can bring a couple 6 packs on board with you.

Suider,

Since this will be SA/GMORA semi-sanctioned event we'll need a NOR and a protest committee unless rubbing is racing means anything goes. Also, I believe that SA events require a post race party somewhere.

Soggy

I need to tell you that my enthusisam has been tempered greatly if there is not a drink involved.

While this is anarchy, I* am going to go out on a limb and declare Suider " the Commisioner of Cart Racing"

me, soggy, kitty, sailbad, sideshow, peeker, boathouse, (maybe)flyonwall, dirtdog, was that a yes from you 88's?... getting there....

ok, so it seems like there might be enough interest.... i'll look into it further....

what are we thinking? i have been half assuming an early-evening event, does that make sense? i'll look into november... assuming we want to keep it away from the holiday does mid november sound good? weeknight or weekend? anything i'm forgetting? any thoughts on a post-race party (location, etc)? i'll set anything up you guys and gals want and book the track, i just want to make sure we can maximize turnout....

c'mon kitty...post-race drinks!

/commisioner

me, soggy, kitty, sailbad, sideshow, peeker, boathouse, (maybe)flyonwall, dirtdog, was that a yes from you 88's?... getting there....

ok, so it seems like there might be enough interest.... i'll look into it further....

what are we thinking? i have been half assuming an early-evening event, does that make sense? i'll look into november... assuming we want to keep it away from the holiday does mid november sound good? weeknight or weekend? anything i'm forgetting? any thoughts on a post-race party (location, etc)? i'll set anything up you guys and gals want and book the track, i just want to make sure we can maximize turnout....

/commisioner

I say let's do it on Friday Oct 20 the night before the GMORA banquet...

I say let's do it on Friday Oct 20 the night before the GMORA banquet...

i was thinking a bunch of people might still have their boats in the water in october, soggy....

not that it was that important, i just kinda was thinking 'now-that-we-really-can't-go-sailing-anymore' type of thing, hence, november...

if people would prefer october, though, that is cool with me....

/c

i was thinking a bunch of people might still have their boats in the water in october, soggy....

not that it was that important, i just kinda was thinking 'now-that-we-really-can't-go-sailing-anymore' type of thing, hence, november...

if people would prefer october, though, that is cool with me....

/c

No you're right, plus it will give more time to plan.

/commisioner

Oh, HELL yes! Count me in!!!

there's a bar..............yeh it would actually hurt to miss something like that. The "Winter SA/GMORA KArt racing championship of the world"

Let me highjack this thread for one moment. My dirty friend has come up with a very good thought about having this event a "championship of the world." But the real question here is do we want to set the precedent of calling the collective "SA/GMORA"?

Personally I would prefer not to.

Do you want your grandchildren going to the "Winter SA/GMORA KArt racing championship of the World XXX"? I think not.

Maybe something like SA- Gulf of Maine Station.

What do you guys think??

Let me highjack this thread for one moment. My dirty friend has come up with a very good thought about having this event a "championship of the world." But the real question here is do we want to set the precedent of calling the collective "SA/GMORA"?

Do you want your grandchildren going to the "Winter SA/GMORA KArt racing championship of the World XXX"?

What do you guys think??

Huh?

Do you want your grandchildren going to the "Winter SA/GMORA KArt racing championship of the World XXX"? I think not.

What do you guys think??

How about we make it Maine versus the United States of America?

After all, we know we're best.

Peeker-

Does this mean we couldn't get you to go the "the showplace" for an annual meeting?

Kittty, with the tease of a few free rum and cokes, you know I can be convinced to do just about anything.

Looks like good wind for the Lightship 12 to 19 kts out of the Southwest. Hellion do you have a ride?

Thanks for asking Soggy.

I am in la belle Montreal at the moment and will return to your fine neck of the woods (sea) on Monday or Tuesday, just in time for another Etchell's race. Talk about a technical ride... :P

Enjoy the race.

Does that wrap up GMORA for the year??

A downtown get-together next Friday (Sept. 29) for drinkie-poos (beer/rum)??

Anyone?

No new Kitten...

The shot girl got a huge promotion after we left. Plus I think she was able to pay for the first two years of Medical School...or was it cosmetology school.

I am still finding 'stripper sparkle' from last year's 'event'....

I am still finding 'stripper sparkle' from last year's 'event'....

And you would like me to attend this event for what reason????? (sounds like I'd only be good for the disignated driver)

Tell me about saturdays race... I was only sick one day this whole summer, and I have only missed one day sailing all summer, and that was saturday, and the Rack wins the whole thing!!! (this is becomming the story of my life) But that's all I've heard, how did everyone else do?? So I can live vicariously thru these postings.

Thanks for asking Soggy.

I am in la belle Montreal at the moment and will return to your fine neck of the woods (sea) on Monday or Tuesday, just in time for another Etchell's race. Talk about a technical ride... :P

Enjoy the race.

Does that wrap up GMORA for the year??

A downtown get-together next Friday (Sept. 29) for drinkie-poos (beer/rum)??

Anyone?

May I suggest The Asylum as the venue of choice for Fri 9/29....

Raq is playing... one of my favorite jam bands. From Burlington, sounds like Phish on cocaine.

www.raqmusic.com

High energy, technically articulate groove rock with psychadelic improv jams.

That's where I'll be.

Tell me about saturdays race... I was only sick one day this whole summer, and I have only missed one day sailing all summer, and that was saturday, and the Rack wins the whole thing!!! (this is becomming the story of my life) But that's all I've heard, how did everyone else do?? So I can live vicariously thru these postings.

I wa lucky to snag a ride on BDP.

My first time.

What a great boat. The design is very crew friendly.

As is the management.

Lotsa room in the cockpit. Winches and leads where they need to be.

Not too uncomfortable on the rail.

Cool electronics. .

Great espirit de corps.

Wind was 17 to 19 from the SE. Later clocked to SW.

Waves started rolling out side the Hussy.

Taking a leak was a major athletic feat.

We had a full maine and number 4 jib.

Lotsa nice mainsail tweakers.

We split from the fleet and came out pretty well going east to the Hussy rather than west.

We staid on the eastside on port, the closet tack, most of the way to the lightship bouy.

It was rough. We were on our ear. But staid somewhat close to Bandito, and built distance on those behind.

A very careful jibe around the bouy.

And pretty much a 10 knot sleigh ride in on port jibe coming back.

Lotsa surfing.

Great fun.

Made a little mistake with a jibe to starbord in some poor visability.

Got back on track.

Inside the Hussy the wind pooped are speed went down to about 6.

Those crafty devils on our stern came zooming in and clobbered us.

After the race there was tea and crumpets on the front lawn.

Kitty brought about four bottles of rum.

Of course, a good time was had by all.

It was nice to see the Tamaraqui in their glory.

agreed, awesome ride back in...

i got the snot beaten out of of me upwind a couple of times. one time i turn around a to avoid getting douched by a wave and see soggy enjoying a nice snack back in the cheap seats, all nice and dry...

...i give him a nice salute after he asks if i am still dry

we had some pretty hairy jibes coming in...

good fun race, good job to tammy too, they were rocking on the way in

Some cut and paste from TheBoathouse post a few days ago.

New images, new information, new show.

Like Fly said: BE THERE!

Press release:

On February 25, 2005, Bruce Schwab became the first American to officially finish the Vendee Globe Race*Solo*Nonstop*Around the world. Crossing the finish line in Les Sables d'Olonne, France just after 08:00 GMT, Bruce sailed into the history books as the first American ever to complete the grueling Vendee Globe. By completing the Vendee, Bruce not only became the first American to finish the race, but he also became the second American ever to complete a single-handed, non-stop lap of the planet.

“Experience a multimedia presentation by American sailor Bruce Schwab and you will feel like...you've sailed on his boat OceanPlanet, surfed at breakneck speed in the Southern Ocean, pounded into confused seas in the Bay of Biscay, sailed through the fog over the finish line of the grueling non-stop, single-handed, unassisted ocean sailboat race called the Vendee Globe, been greeted by a swarm of French schoolchildren chanting "We love Bruce!", and, moreover, you feel like you can do anything in this life, on our own "ocean planet.”

Thursday, September 28, 7 p.m., Abromson Center, USM Portland Campus. Tickets $15 adults, $5 for children under 12. Call 780-5900 or visit www.usm.maine.edu/cce.

Molly A. Morell

USM Center for Continuing Education

Abromson Center

PO Box 9300

Portland, ME 04104

207-780-5931

Light Ship was a great race.

Heavy Breeze till the end when it dropped down inside the hussey.

We exited the Hussey in the typical fashion with an incoming tide, always good fun tacking in and out of the tide.

BDP went left everyone else went right.

We thought we had BDP shut out at that point but when we came back together at the mouth of the hussey we just crossed infront of them on starboard.

The LightShip bouy was favored on starboard tack heading out by about 20 deg. so everyone pounded there way out.

when we made our first tack back to the rumb line we were about 4 miles left.

could not shake BDP, Scarmouche and The rack were able to work higher then the rest of us (somehow)

PainKiller was to close for comfort the whole beat out.

We had a big mishap rounding and a rather seroious injury - everyone is fine - a few stiches and I imagine a serious head ach to boot.

A gybe set gone bad in 20 Knots

We did a funky 360 above the mark due to our screwup (no foul, just the choas after the injury.)

Fun ride back in but alot of my time was spent as medic.

gybed a bunch of times but on the last one we went to far and had to fight our way back up to the hussey.

Congrats to BK and crew.

Fun race, good party.

Glad to hear Fall series will be back next season.

hellllllllrrrraiser, im sorry buddy, no sleep over this weekend. im headed to lake george for the changing of the colors regatta. can we make a rain date?

:( aaaaawww

Have a great time in the lake!

May I suggest The Asylum as the venue of choice for Fri 9/29....

Raq is playing... one of my favorite jam bands. From Burlington, sounds like Phish on cocaine.

www.raqmusic.com

High energy, technically articulate groove rock with psychadelic improv jams.

That's where I'll be.

Sounds perrrrfect.

I'll be there.

Some cut and paste from TheBoathouse post a few days ago.

New images, new information, new show.

Like Fly said: BE THERE!

Press release:

On February 25, 2005, Bruce Schwab became the first American to officially finish the Vendee Globe Race*Solo*Nonstop*Around the world. Crossing the finish line in Les Sables d'Olonne, France just after 08:00 GMT, Bruce sailed into the history books as the first American ever to complete the grueling Vendee Globe. By completing the Vendee, Bruce not only became the first American to finish the race, but he also became the second American ever to complete a single-handed, non-stop lap of the planet.

“Experience a multimedia presentation by American sailor Bruce Schwab and you will feel like...you've sailed on his boat OceanPlanet, surfed at breakneck speed in the Southern Ocean, pounded into confused seas in the Bay of Biscay, sailed through the fog over the finish line of the grueling non-stop, single-handed, unassisted ocean sailboat race called the Vendee Globe, been greeted by a swarm of French schoolchildren chanting "We love Bruce!", and, moreover, you feel like you can do anything in this life, on our own "ocean planet.”

Thursday, September 28, 7 p.m., Abromson Center, USM Portland Campus. Tickets $15 adults, $5 for children under 12. Call 780-5900 or visit www.usm.maine.edu/cce.

Molly A. Morell

USM Center for Continuing Education

Abromson Center

PO Box 9300

Portland, ME 04104

207-780-5931

What can I say?

I'd love to see all of you there.

Encourage and promote of your own...

I'll be there early, assisting if needed.

Good luck Bruce!

post-5847-1159296228_thumb.jpg

agreed, awesome ride back in...

i got the snot beaten out of of me upwind a couple of times. one time i turn around a to avoid getting douched by a wave and see soggy enjoying a nice snack back in the cheap seats, all nice and dry...

...i give him a nice salute after he asks if i am still dry

we had some pretty hairy jibes coming in...

good fun race, good job to tammy too, they were rocking on the way in

Coming in was fun... We noticed shortly after we turned around that the patch in the main from Monhegan had opened up a little, about a foot. It was interesting trying to sail with fingers crossed. Pretty surprised it held. It was hanging literally by threads when we got in... The back of the bus must have been REALLY gentle. That was a really cool sail. I still maintain that the weather is always good for that race. Just ask the weatherman. He said it didn't rain all day.

G

really- tell us more

Fact: Hendo sold.

D's new boat specs:

2000 IMS 43':

LOA 13.13m 43.10’

LWL 11.56m

Beam 3.74m 3’12.

Draft 3.01m 9.827’

I 56.18’

J 5.03m 16.5’

P 15.12m 49.62’

E 6.22m 20.3’

Disp. 6458 kgs. 11,597 lbs.

LOA: 43' LWL: 38.1 Beam: 12'3

Draft: 9'8

Engine(s): yanmar Saildrive Engine Model: 3JH

Accommodations

IMS interior.

Electronics

Ockam instruments

Garmin GPS wiht computer interface

Ultrasonic speedo

high performance compass

load cell

Icom VHF

Pioneer stereo

Sails & Rigging

Sparcraft Carbon Fibre rig and Boom. Masthead Jibs and spinnakers.Spinnaker pole extended J by 2.0

Carbon boom extended by 1.5

Main- North 2005

L#1- North 2005

M#1- North 2005

H#1- North 2004

#2 - Quantum 2003

#3- Quantum 2003

#4- Quantum 2003

A1- North 2004

A2- North 2004

S2- Quantum 2003(increased in 2004)

Hull & Deck

Pterodactyl was designed and built by Brendan Dobroth ( through Emerald Bay Boat Works). She was built in a female mold using vacuum bagged E and S glass (some of the clothes were custom woven to his specification)--the keel frame and certain frames are made of carbon ---the rudder is a carbon blade over a carbon stock--the mast is carbon---the keel blade is cast iron and the bulb is lead.

Additional Comments

Modified in 2004 by lengthening the boom and the spinnaker pole. Boat was unbeatable-- won just about every regatta it entered 2004 -2005, in some instances winning every race (see 2004 Block Island race week).

Fact: Hendo sold.

D's new boat specs:

2000 IMS 43':

LOA 13.13m 43.10’

LWL 11.56m

Beam 3.74m 3’12.

Draft 3.01m 9.827’

I 56.18’

J 5.03m 16.5’

P 15.12m 49.62’

E 6.22m 20.3’

Disp. 6458 kgs. 11,597 lbs.

LOA: 43' LWL: 38.1 Beam: 12'3

Draft: 9'8

Engine(s): yanmar Saildrive Engine Model: 3JH

Accommodations

IMS interior.

Electronics

Ockam instruments

Garmin GPS wiht computer interface

Ultrasonic speedo

high performance compass

load cell

Icom VHF

Pioneer stereo

Sails & Rigging

Sparcraft Carbon Fibre rig and Boom. Masthead Jibs and spinnakers.Spinnaker pole extended J by 2.0

Carbon boom extended by 1.5

Main- North 2005

L#1- North 2005

M#1- North 2005

H#1- North 2004

#2 - Quantum 2003

#3- Quantum 2003

#4- Quantum 2003

A1- North 2004

A2- North 2004

S2- Quantum 2003(increased in 2004)

Hull & Deck

Pterodactyl was designed and built by Brendan Dobroth ( through Emerald Bay Boat Works). She was built in a female mold using vacuum bagged E and S glass (some of the clothes were custom woven to his specification)--the keel frame and certain frames are made of carbon ---the rudder is a carbon blade over a carbon stock--the mast is carbon---the keel blade is cast iron and the bulb is lead.

Additional Comments

Modified in 2004 by lengthening the boom and the spinnaker pole. Boat was unbeatable-- won just about every regatta it entered 2004 -2005, in some instances winning every race (see 2004 Block Island race week).

Sounds fabulous.

looking forward to seeing it.

Have fun.

Hey what's it's name

Nine-O?