Gulf of maine scuttlebut

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Thanks c koch; how's the wife and (what?) kids! Is the mighty RP ready to rock?

I AM the wife! Well, Rita P is in the water and rigged. It was not without incident I might add -- Murphy was omnipresent on launch day, but since there are no pics it didn't really happen. I think if we crunched the numbers, we'd have corrected on a J/42 we were playing with on the way into South Freeport Monday after a weekend at the Goslings. So she's as ready as she'll ever be.

I AM the wife! Well, Rita P is in the water and rigged. It was not without incident I might add -- Murphy was omnipresent on launch day, but since there are no pics it didn't really happen. I think if we crunched the numbers, we'd have corrected on a J/42 we were playing with on the way into South Freeport Monday after a weekend at the Goslings. So she's as ready as she'll ever be.

Humble apologies on the syntax error. Go Pearson!!

Kitty.

What happened at Figawi?

AFFINITY 50007 Jon Desmond SWAN 36 11:21:54 14:34:36 3:12:42 14:34:36 1 7.89

COLUMBIA 16 COLUM David Nyberg 12 METER 15 11:30:43 14:36:20 3:05:37 14:36:20 2 8.19

SLIDE RULE 52744 Scott Bearse BENETEAU FIRST 4 54 11:14:20 14:36:42 3:22:22 14:36:42 3 7.51

WEATHERLY 17 WEATH George Hill 12 METER 15 11:30:43 14:36:44 3:06:01 14:36:44 4 8.17

CHIPPEWA 6821 Clay Deutsch SWAN 68 -33 11:50:53 14:38:06 2:47:13 14:38:06 5 9.08

FOUR STARS 52276 Timothy Mcadams FIRST 44.7 39 11:20:38 14:38:47 3:18:09 14:38:47 6 7.67

CAMBIUM 42001 Pike Severance TAYLOR 54 11:14:20 14:44:59 3:30:39 14:44:59 7 7.22

IRIE 43678 Brian Cunha TRIPP 3 11:35:46 14:48:27 3:12:41 14:48:27 8 7.89

DEVOCEAN 45024 Stephen Devoe SWAN 45 -18 11:44:35 14:49:51 3:05:16 14:49:51 9 8.20

AVATAR 11160 Alan Fougere J-160 -12 11:42:04 14:50:04 3:08:00 14:50:04 10 8.08

ESCAPE 51653 Steve Woolfson SWAN-53 48 11:16:52 14:50:33 3:33:41 14:50:33 11 7.12

BLUE MOON 52132 Joseph Schorle BENETEAU FIRST 4 27 11:25:41 14:51:01 3:25:20 14:51:01 12 7.41

SHAMROCK SENSATIO 25279 Ralph Dimattia NELSON MARECK 4 42 11:19:23 14:53:23 3:34:00 14:53:23 13 7.11

BIG DOG PARTY 50939 Peter Price FARR 39ML 12 11:31:59 14:56:06 3:24:07 14:56:06 14 7.45

DEJA VU 40043 Massachusetts Marit TAYLOR -6 11:39:32 14:57:54 3:18:22 14:57:54 15 7.66

SEDNA 51251 Caleb Clark J46 54 11:14:20 15:01:47 3:47:27 15:01:47 16 6.69

AMERIGO 5629 Dennis Pegden SWAN 56 0 11:37:01 15:03:21 3:26:20 15:03:21 17 7.37

Hey Everyone!

Who is in the water and is planning to race in the CYC regatta?

WE ARE IN!

Revo IX is fianally here after an epic transfer that took place last. night. Massive T-storm line squall to a legitimate 50 knots knocked us done. G's rapid vang release saved our ass, although our vang is worst for the wear. This morning sucked as it filled on the nose to 25 to 30 knots w/ heavy seas.

(18 hours from Manchester, MA. )

Impressed how well the vessel stood up to the heavy conditions.

Boat on the dock at Maine Yacht Services.

Hey Everyone!

WE ARE IN!

Revo IX is fianally here after an epic transfer that took place last. night. Massive T-storm line squall to a legitimate 50 knots knocked us done. G's rapid vang release saved our ass, although our vang is worst for the wear. This morning sucked as it filled on the nose to 25 to 30 knots w/ heavy seas.

Glad to hear all is well Max. Was driving in mass and new Hampshire when that storm went thru!! Un f**ken believable the lightning bolts. It's been a long time since I've seen lightning like that. Had to pull over into a rest stop because the visability was only about 4 1/2 feet. Not a pleasant evening to be out in a sailboat!!

Glad to hear all is well Max. Was driving in mass and new Hampshire when that storm went thru!! Un f**ken believable the lightning bolts. It's been a long time since I've seen lightning like that. Had to pull over into a rest stop because the visability was only about 4 1/2 feet. Not a pleasant evening to be out in a sailboat!!

Yep! You can say that again.

Electrical storm all around us off Cape Anne:

post-5090-1180949184_thumb.jpg

:o

Hey Everyone!

WE ARE IN!

Pain Killer is in thanks to treehugger and the gang at Handy's. We'll be at CYC.

Awfully exciting though...

G

Hey Everyone!

WE ARE IN!

Congrats on your arrival! Tamarack is out for CB but Tamarack crew will be bringing Arbacia. Look out Class C!

TH

Hey Everyone!

WE ARE IN!

Congratulations and best wishes to REVO IX from deep in the heart of Texas! Sounds like Mother nature gave her a proper christening!! Glad you're no worse for wear.

I feel like I have to calrify a bit here... Revo IX was taking a bit of a beating. Lightning, lots of breeze, lots of sail, horizontal rain... It was really unpleasant. I grabbed the vang line just in case it needed to go. I needn't have worried however, because a few seconds after I grabbed it, the vang exploded. Now, perhaps I have some long dormant Jedi mind power, I certainly was thinking that we could stand a little less power, but I'm not sure I can really take credit... The damn thing just let go. It was impressive to see. It just went bang and hit the deck... That was a night of sailing I won't forget anytime soon...

G

The new whiplash will probably be there. If no new name is actually chosen by that time, you can all start to refer to her as "skidmarks" a name I threw in the direction of Ted and Sash but will no doubt be voted down for something lame.

The new whiplash will probably be there. If no new name is actually chosen by that time, you can all start to refer to her as "skidmarks" a name I threw in the direction of Ted and Sash but will no doubt be voted down for something lame.

I can only imagine the hull graphics...

G

Hey Whipper, the first time one of our SYC Juniors loads up those runners on that bad boy "skidmarks" may just be the perfect name! :) See you soon buddy!

i dropped off the newest class a boat this morning at handy's, and revo ii was still on the hard....

/c

How tired are you after the longest known transcontinental tow of a Flying Tiger 10M?

Strong work!

How tired are you after the longest known transcontinental tow of a Flying Tiger 10M?

Strong work!

tired...

better today...

yeah, that was a trip... about 6200 miles in just under 7 days...

the boat is super cool... wait till you guys/gals see her in person!!! skinnier than i expected, but really quite neat...

/c

Bring your favorite bottle to PYC tonight for the after race festivities, there will be a variety of Stirrings products on hand to try and a bartender to do all the heavy pouring. Weather looks great so should be a great turnout. PYC will also have a people doing registration for the Pilot, PHRF, Monhegan and Fall Series. Big discounts are still available if you register before this coming Monday. Over 20 boats already registered for Pilot and PHRF, are you in? Maybe some free Gritty's hats for people who register in person at the club tonight as well.

Bring your favorite bottle to PYC tonight for the after race festivities, there will be a variety of Stirrings products on hand to try and a bartender to do all the heavy pouring. Weather looks great so should be a great turnout. PYC will also have a people doing registration for the Pilot, PHRF, Monhegan and Fall Series. Big discounts are still available if you register before this coming Monday. Over 20 boats already registered for Pilot and PHRF, are you in? Maybe some free Gritty's hats for people who register in person at the club tonight as well.

Is it live to sail or love to sail?

G

In that case are you male or female for all the enquiring pigs out here.

Not difficult to figure out who Lv2sail is... and to answer the question about pre-registration for the PYC races, of course we're in! Surely you don't think my other have plunked down all that cash for a free Gritty's hat?

So I just sent off my application for a new member provisional rating certificate to the GMORA handicapper -- we're hoping to bring our little orange San Juan 21 to the Boothbay Regatta!

BenOnQuasar2.1.jpg

Next year, we should have the Peterson 34 back in the water...

Do we have to start calling Carter "Courtney Love"?

(first "easy" person I could think of)

Wait cowisland I always thought you were Cdub my guess is Lv2Sail is Mrs Cdub....

So I just sent off my application for a new member provisional rating certificate to the GMORA handicapper -- we're hoping to bring our little orange San Juan 21 to the Boothbay Regatta!

BenOnQuasar2.1.jpg

Next year, we should have the Peterson 34 back in the water...

Tommy H's little #5 might have some competition in the 200 rater level.....

Fun Race Guys...

One down and many to go....

Soggy, you guys were solid... a pain in the kitty's ass (the fly looked good)

Tuff- the boat is pretty... stick with it

More Whip lash stories... we missed you... you guys are going to rock.

Jerk... It was a sweet day.. Stop having Babys! I Know a hot Asian Doctor that can do the deed.

Kaos- Way to haul the furniture around the course. ( Not that there is anything whong ( sic) with that!)

POU-Pau-Pau...Callling all Husseys... Calling the Pussy ones...

Reggie- What a F'n-treat to grab you last mintute, May the Kitty force be with you.

Doggone...A garage sail, no make that Garage Sale...WTF? Because of that, I am sentencing you to go to Halifax w/ Milt, BoBo, DDog and other Scoundrels we have put together.

Kitty out...

bunch of reasons why we didn't make this one. the decision was made around 5pm on friday not to race. We are a little behind getting everything in order. We WILL be there next week though. Sorry I missed it. Saw a whole lot of carbon sails drifting around the bay from my perch on the eastern prom.

Fun Race Guys...

Jerk... It was a sweet day.. Stop having Babys! I Know a hot Asian Doctor that can do the deed.

Kaos- Way to haul the furniture around the course. ( Not that there is anything whong ( sic) with that!)

Reggie- What a F'n-treat to grab you last mintute, May the Kitty force be with you.

Doggone...A garage sail, no make that Garage Sale...WTF? Because of that, I am sentencing you to go to Halifax w/ Milt, BoBo, DDog and other Scoundrels we have put together.

Kitty out...

Fun Race Guys...

Kitty out...

I cannot defend my absence except to say MFO; I yearn for Halifax and the manly times aboard BDP but als it will not be this year as Tejas entraps me. Bonne chance mon amis!

Fun Race Guys...

Kitty out...

Trust me...I'll be visiting that Asian doctor after 1/1/08. Frozen bag of pease please.

FYI...Cowbell is in the water...

Fun Race Guys...

Kitty out...

Fun race good times had by all on the course....and a great post race party!!

Kitty - Once again you proved yourself as an upstanding honorable "guy" Hats off to you and the BDP crew!!!

BTW - Looking fwd to trading tacks with you this weekend.

Soggy out----

Results?

www.centerboard.org

Click on "Racing" then "2007 Results"

Naturally, the site omits certain details, such as three or four A boats went aground, and Arbacia ran out of beer so they dropped out (wise move, IMHO, we should have done the same), and the musical entertainment got more creative later in the evening.

Hey whipper, did we see your new boat in South Freeport Friday night? "War Stories?"

Fun race good times had by all on the course....and a great post race party!!

Kitty - Once again you proved yourself as an upstanding honorable "guy" Hats off to you and the BDP crew!!!

BTW - Looking fwd to trading tacks with you this weekend.

Soggy out----

I agree hats off to Kitty and crew for the selfless act, however I am confident that they rounded the mark consistant with ISAF rules by leaving it to starboard.

28 SAILING THE COURSE

28.1 A boat shall start, leave each mark on the required side in the correct

order, and finish, so that a string representing her wake after starting

and until finishing would when drawn taut pass each mark on the

required side and touch each rounding mark. She may correct any

errors to comply with this rule. After finishing she need not cross the

finishing line completely.

leaving mark "D" to port would not be consistant with 28.1 and the course posted by the RC did not specify a way to round "D" on the first pass only the second.

Not to beat a dead horse here,

BUT

When writing all the marks they wrote an "s" next to the marks left to starboard. Implying all others are left to port. What they should have written was a "p" next to all the others. we sailed by the RC to clarify that mark D was suppossed to be left to port the first time we were to round it. They confirmed, D to port, and master course list from the race committee gave D as a port rounding. Of course since this was the case they should have just omitted the mark all together.

and the band certainly made my night go by quicker than normal, and yes, their last couple of songs were......interesting to say the least!

hope everyone had a fun time

I agree hats off to Kitty and crew for the selfless act, however I am confident that they rounded the mark consistant with ISAF rules by leaving it to starboard.

28 SAILING THE COURSE

28.1 A boat shall start, leave each mark on the required side in the correct

order, and finish, so that a string representing her wake after starting

and until finishing would when drawn taut pass each mark on the

required side and touch each rounding mark. She may correct any

errors to comply with this rule. After finishing she need not cross the

finishing line completely.

leaving mark "D" to port would not be consistant with 28.1 and the course posted by the RC did not specify a way to round "D" on the first pass only the second.

Not a big deal...the beginning of a long season. Especially since Fall races count as points. But I believe the instructions stated that marks were to be left to port unless otherwise stated. That being said....the course was a "little" goofy putting us rounding marks on the wrong side...evident by the number of boats that grounded. Still a fun race. Really glad the rain held off for us!!!

Of course since this was the case they should have just omitted the mark all together.

which is exactly why i dislike marks 'in the middle' of a leg.... meaning, no real course change required....

it just adds a bit of undue confusion which is simple enough to correct... either omit the mark or put it on the course list twice... it would have cost the RC $0 in the first scenario and $.00000001 in ink for the marker in the second....

still a great time; i feel bad those guys never seem to get any breeze for their regattas!!

/c

oh, and having marks that have 9' of water at low tide could prove problematic... :ph34r:

Not to beat a dead horse here,

BUT

When writing all the marks they wrote an "s" next to the marks left to starboard. Implying all others are left to port. What they should have written was a "p" next to all the others. we sailed by the RC to clarify that mark D was suppossed to be left to port the first time we were to round it. They confirmed, D to port, and master course list from the race committee gave D as a port rounding. Of course since this was the case they should have just omitted the mark all together.

and the band certainly made my night go by quicker than normal, and yes, their last couple of songs were......interesting to say the least!

hope everyone had a fun time

I don't have an issue with anyone that simply left "D" to port, and understand why some left it to port (especially if the RC gave a verbal, but..............

1) racing instructions or the course posted did not communicate anything that suggest a rounding direction for any marks other then "R" and the second pass at "D".

2) all other roundings were not to Port, since ISAF rules state that the first rounding of D should be starboard -or- If you interputed the course as "all other marks to port" then the only way you could sail the course to rule 28.1 would be to completely loop around mark "D" leaving it to port. Screwed up but it is the only way I can see that when the string is pulled taut (rule 28.1) that all marks are touched by the string if "D" was a port rounding.

-is the horse dead yet?

I thought it was a fun day on the water.

2) all other roundings were not to Port, since ISAF rules state that the first rounding of D should be starboard -or- If you interputed the course as "all other marks to port" then the only way you could sail the course to rule 28.1 would be to completely loop around mark "D" leaving it to port. Screwed up but it is the only way I can see that when the string is pulled taut (rule 28.1) that all marks are touched by the string if "D" was a port rounding.

which is exactly why that mark shouldn't have been a mark in the course

ok the horse is dead

-fly

Here are my two cents on the mark rounding issue:

As the Fly states, " When writing all the marks they wrote an "s" next to the marks left to starboard. Implying all others are left to port."

I feel that you can not "imply' anything. It has to be non-ambiguous. The fact that we are all good looking and as smart as we are and talking about this proves that it was Ambiguous.

We tried to withdraw knowing full well that it was ambiguous. ( and we were aware of dirt dogs point.) I just don't want to get tied up in a shit slinging event so I was willing to step aside.

The race committee did not except my my withdrawl because after review (1) they felt the instructions were ambiguous and (2) no one was advantaged.

The great thing about this fleet is that people play by the rules and care enough about each other to do the right thing.

What does everyone think about the class breaks for next week?

um.

odd, to say the least.

i'll wait for soggy to weigh in, but i cannot imagine he'll be too happy about that. and i also know that a certain ft10 won't be sailing anyway, but you can be sure he wouldn't be thrilled either.

i don't get it. it makes no sense. why classes on length? is this just broken down to show entries? or are those the actual class breaks?

/c

i don't get it. it makes no sense. why classes on length? is this just broken down to show entries? or are those the actual class breaks?

/c

They're too rediculous to be class breaks.

My money says that is based simply on registration. Bigger boats, more people, more meal tickets in the new packages.

They're too rediculous to be class breaks.

My money says that is based simply on registration. Bigger boats, more people, more meal tickets in the new packages.

that's what i would have to assume as well.....

but, i guess, stranger things have happened....

/c

www.centerboard.org

Click on "Racing" then "2007 Results"

Naturally, the site omits certain details, such as three or four A boats went aground, and Arbacia ran out of beer so they dropped out (wise move, IMHO, we should have done the same), and the musical entertainment got more creative later in the evening.

Hey whipper, did we see your new boat in South Freeport Friday night? "War Stories?"

Yeah, that was her. I was the short guy running around the deck pulling on every exposed line looking up the rig to see if something moved. It may take a few days to figure out the layout of that boat but I think we are on our way. Biggest challenge right now is to go through all the sails and figure out which are what (some of the mainsails are about 3 inches too long for the current rig - the boat came with two rigs). If we sail at the pilot race with a main with a super deep draft and low hanging boom, you will know we haven't exactly figured it all out yet.

Yeah, that was her. I was the short guy running around the deck pulling on every exposed line looking up the rig to see if something moved. It may take a few days to figure out the layout of that boat but I think we are on our way. Biggest challenge right now is to go through all the sails and figure out which are what (some of the mainsails are about 3 inches too long for the current rig - the boat came with two rigs). If we sail at the pilot race with a main with a super deep draft and low hanging boom, you will know we haven't exactly figured it all out yet.

when in doubt let it out

when in doubt let it out

Word!

BTW: Check out SA's homepage.

The 'blatent advertising' on the left column includes Port Rigging Co. and FSE Robline cordage!

Kitty's advise for boat speed-

1) bow down

2) thw runners need to be tighter than you ever thought. Whipper- "grind them like your pullin' a criminal off your momma"

thats's all the kitty will say about that.

kitty out.

Is that horse dead yet? One last kick just to make sure?

OK. I'm sure I'm the last person anyone would expect to light this fuse but.......

What does everyone think about the class breaks for next week?

http://www.regattapromotions.com/portland-...ta/entries.html

Im not sure that these are the class breaks. I think they were strickly designed to extract the maximum entry fee from the poor owners. The real issue is rather the rate of inflation vs. the increase in entry fees has kept some sort of parity. I do not think so.

we have been forced to register early, use the internet and pay more thatn we did last year by a fair amount. It remains to be seeen if it will be worth it.

Pass the pop corn please.....

um.

odd, to say the least.

i'll wait for soggy to weigh in, but i cannot imagine he'll be too happy about that. and i also know that a certain ft10 won't be sailing anyway, but you can be sure he wouldn't be thrilled either.

/c

Hell suider, we've been bitching about class breaks for years....they're just giving us what we asked for!!!! :lol: Like Kitty said not class breaks....just a way of squeeaing a little more $$. Looks like peanut butter sandwiches and water for my crew this weekend.

But speaking of ratings...looks like Ajax is going to have it's work cut out for them with a rating of 0 It also looks like treehugger gave up 3 sec per mile...what's up with that? Collins tag him for repairing his jib tracks :lol:

Whipper does the boat have a load cell?? If so catch up with kitty or myself prior to the race. It's a great tool for getting the most out of the runners.

Whipper does the boat have a load cell?? If so catch up with kitty or myself prior to the race. It's a great tool for getting the most out of the runners.

kitty's load cell is not all that accurate....that's why we have the kitty force

Quick question to those who raced this weekend. Yesterday in this thread it mentioned several boats hit bottom during the race. I also read there was some confusion in the racing instructions on which side to round some of the marks. Was the groundings due to the racing instructions putting the boats in shallow water or due to rounding the mark on the wrong side. Was this area of shallow water obvious on the charts? A.K.A. had the chart been looked at closely would there not have been any issues? The reason I ask is I hope to be doing some GOMORA racing this year with a deep draft boat. I do NOT like touching bottom!! Thanks.

Barley-

We generally race in other parts of the bay that are not as shallow. This area is shallow and for the most part muddy. We have several boats here that draw 10 ft. so it can be an issue. Some of the marks were near bones.

What do you race and when are you coming?

Consider this the official kitty welcome…

Barley-

We generally race in other parts of the bay that are not as shallow. This area is shallow and for the most part muddy. We have several boats here that draw 10 ft. so it can be an issue. Some of the marks were near bones.

What do you race and when are you coming?

Consider this the official kitty welcome…

Well the boat also draws 10'. Kitty I think I have met you before. Last fall at one of the later GOMORA races I raced with my 12 year old son on our Baltic 38DP FIANNA. After the race I talked with you at PYC. The new boat is a Tripp 47, we will be keeping it at Maine Yachting Center. By the way anybody looking for a Baltic 38DP.

Well the boat also draws 10'. Kitty I think I have met you before. Last fall at one of the later GOMORA races I raced with my 12 year old son on our Baltic 38DP FIANNA. After the race I talked with you at PYC. The new boat is a Tripp 47, we will be keeping it at Maine Yachting Center. By the way anybody looking for a Baltic 38DP.

I think I've met you in Portsmouth before. In a past life I sailed on Uproar on Tuesday nights...

Hmmmm....that would be 5 boats that rate 12 or under.

Max??

Popcorn please I know a dead horse that's going to get beat again. :rolleyes:

You guys rocked and it was clear that the 12 yr old was the brains behind the operation.

I think we did meet- I was the "wicked" good looking one.

Is this a sistership to Bandito? That is so cool,

Soggy you're right the fleet is modernizing. We do need to change the rating bands-

You guys rocked and it was clear that the 12 yr old was the brains behind the operation.

I think we did meet- I was the "wicked" good looking one.

Is this a sistership to Bandito? That is so cool,

Soggy your right the fleet is modernizing. We do need to change the rating bands-

Your right about the brains of the group. Tuckerman will racing for PYC this year, hence the boat being on a slip. Now I'm sure we met ("wicked" good looking one). Thanks for clarifying that for me. I think Bandito is the sister ship. When I was up there last week saw her out of the water. Looks very similar. Should make for some great racing this summer. We will have a very large learning curve. New boat, new location, no crew.

Your right about the brains of the group. Tuckerman will racing for PYC this year, hence the boat being on a slip. Now I'm sure we met ("wicked" good looking one). Thanks for clarifying that for me. I think Bandito is the sister ship. When I was up there last week saw her out of the water. Looks very similar. Should make for some great racing this summer. We will have a very large learning curve. New boat, new location, no crew.

Hi Barley welcome to GMORA!! Will you be racing this weekend?? Kitty and I might be able to put our heads together and try to help you find some crew.

Here's a start:

http://www.pointseast.com/want_to_crew.php

just be careful what you wish for!! :P

Soggy-

Since Max isnt here today I will take his place... (Maybe you can be G)

Bitch bith bitch...yack yack yack. The ratings band suck...bith yack wwwa waa wa... See I told you all so...bitch yack waaawaaa wa

Max Luff out.

Rumor has it that that G. & Suider are attempting to put a FT10 together with all the assembly instructions in chinese. THAT would be a fun show to watch! :lol:

I'm going to get my folding chair and cooler!

I go tthe word that those are indeed headcount breaks, not racing classes. Fuse extinguished.

Welcome Barley!

Come on guys, pitch in! Let's get this boat some crew!

Speaking of the rating breaks on the regatta promotions web site, and an earlier discussion today. I think that PYC might not be seeing any additional $$ for the entry fees. We may be helping to fund a brother sailors new business. In which case I can't bitch giving a new business a lift is a good thing.

Speaking of the rating breaks on the regatta promotions web site, and an earlier discussion today. I think that PYC might not be seeing any additional $$ for the entry fees. We may be helping to fund a brother sailors new business. In which case I can't bitch giving a new business a lift is a good thing.

Very good point and well taken

Quick question to those who raced this weekend. Yesterday in this thread it mentioned several boats hit bottom during the race. I also read there was some confusion in the racing instructions on which side to round some of the marks. Was the groundings due to the racing instructions putting the boats in shallow water or due to rounding the mark on the wrong side. Was this area of shallow water obvious on the charts? A.K.A. had the chart been looked at closely would there not have been any issues? The reason I ask is I hope to be doing some GOMORA racing this year with a deep draft boat. I do NOT like touching bottom!! Thanks.

i was out of town and couldnt sail saturday but have heard the lowdown over the last day or two here in the shop, that particular mark has been used in that particular regatta by that particular club for years now and those groundings were far from the first, I've hit stuff there on a couple of boats over the years, soggy might remember one dramatic collision in the 80's that I think he and I were on the same boat for. Why they still use that mark is anyone's guess.

generally though it's not quite as dramatic in GMORA groundings-wise, though it is a pretty rocky coast and there are moments. pay attentnion to a good chart and you wont have issues.

i was out of town and couldnt sail saturday but have heard the lowdown over the last day or two here in the shop, that particular mark has been used in that particular regatta by that particular club for years now and those groundings were far from the first, I've hit stuff there on a couple of boats over the years, soggy might remember one dramatic collision in the 80's that I think he and I were on the same boat for. Why they still use that mark is anyone's guess.

generally though it's not quite as dramatic in GMORA groundings-wise, though it is a pretty rocky coast and there are moments. pay attentnion to a good chart and you wont have issues.

You wouldn't be talking about the time we sailed through the wreck would you :lol: Pappa Smurf was taking a close look at that area of the course.

Hi Barley welcome to GMORA!! Will you be racing this weekend?? Kitty and I might be able to put our heads together and try to help you find some crew.

No racing this weekend. Boat is in Newport. Will be moving up the coast starting on saturday or monday. Depends on work. Will start racing slow. So don't be surprised if up see us out in the racing class without a spinnaker up. Will try to build a solid crew first, speed second.

Thanks for the welcome. Everytime we have come up to race in Casco Bay everyone has been very friendly and helpful. Hard to say that about many other places.

That Baltic is a very nice boat...........

Excited about the Tripp 47 coming out to play. Is it a mast head rig or a frac? better yet what was it formally known as?

With a 10 foot draft it sounds like Cabernet which is the sister ship to Bandito (I think Cab draws more). Anyway we look forward to you being out there. When is your first race?

-Barley, your avitar is looking very familiar.

That Baltic is a very nice boat...........

Excited about the Tripp 47 coming out to play. Is it a mast head rig or a frac? better yet what was it formally known as?

With a 10 foot draft it sounds like Cabernet which is the sister ship to Bandito. Anyway we look forward to you being out there. When is your first race?

You are right, it is Cabaret. Frac rig. Needs are really good cleaning/sterilization. Came with alot of goodies and surveyed out very well. Took it out for its first sail last weekend. Very quick. Not sure when the racing starts. Have to get things in order first. Should not take very long.

You are right, it is Cabaret. Frac rig. Needs are really good cleaning/sterilization. Came with alot of goodies and surveyed out very well. Took it out for its first sail last weekend. Very quick. Not sure when the racing starts. Have to get things in order first. Should not take very long.

Very fun boat, you'll love it.