Gulf of maine scuttlebut

Kitty news...

A little fishy tells the Kitty that there is some suspicious cracks, compression and fairly large "chunks" out of the keel of Revo 2 after last weekends sounding experiment.

Was it an effort to loose more lead off the old IOR warhorse ( The Boat not ED)? Probably not.

Is this a kink in the Champs armour?

Kitty out.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Wouldn't it be nice if we race outside this weekend, which we most always do, if they ran us all the way back in (by clapboard island) to finish after the last race of each day. It's always strange how we sail the last leg and then motor 5 miles back to Falmouth...

Is there a 2nd to this motion?????

Wouldn't it be nice if we race outside this weekend, which we most always do, if they ran us all the way back in (by clapboard island) to finish after the last race of each day. It's always strange how we sail the last leg and then motor 5 miles back to Falmouth...

Is there a 2nd to this motion?????

Maybe I'm wrong but are you thiknking of PHRF ME's instead of Pilot? They always try to run those outside so they can have W/L with as little current as possible.

I don't THINK Pilot has two lines but I could be wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong but are you thiknking of PHRF ME's instead of Pilot? They always try to run those outside so they can have W/L with as little current as possible.

I don't THINK Pilot has two lines but I could be wrong.

Yeah...you maybe right. DOH

Twice around long island would be nice. Let's see how many boats can find the bottom of chandler's cove!

An Around the Island, or Around the Islands Race has a nice ring to it.

In a nice southwest breeze, seamanship, navigation and local knowledge would all be in demand.

It would be a fun and beautiful race for participants and observers,

as we celebrated Maine, summer and Casco Bay.

It could end up being a classic.

In a nice southwest breeze, seamanship, navigation and local knowledge would all be in demand.

Lake Winnippasakee (sp?) Sailing Association always had a round the island race and it was a blast. Usually did it double handed and it took about a half of day.

Next weekend.

HYC will send us around an island or two. There might even be a shallow spot or two.

Next weekend.

HYC will send us around an island or two. There might even be a shallow spot or two.

True. And it is a fun race.

But, it doesn't have the cachet that a real Around the Islands Race would have.

or the promotional possibilities.

And it does have those pursuit elements and issues.

just a heads up- I think the Pilot race class A day two results on the GMORA website are incorrect. I did have a few drinks after the race and I am fairly sure that I didn't get hit by lightening, but it did seem to me that Stories kicked everyones ass Sun.

PYC site looks right

just a heads up- I think the Pilot race class A day two results on the GMORA website are incorrect. I did have a few drinks after the race and I am fairly sure that I didn't get hit by lightening, but it did seem to me that Stories kicked everyones ass Sun.

PYC site looks right

I believe it has been fixed. Not sure what's happened. Thanks for the heads up dirtdog

PYC site looks right

Yup, the boat didn't get hit but I did. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

post-10192-1181847030_thumb.jpg

Sat. afternoon sailflow -

if the forecast stays the same it could be a nice long W/L out the Hussey and back. Perfect opportunity for a good W/L course for Sat. and Sun.

They certainly did not do that.

Why cannot there be a good W/L course when the wind is blowing steady out of the SW. It REAALLY SUCKS reaching around the Islands...

Why cannot there be a good W/L course when the wind is blowing steady out of the SW. It REAALLY SUCKS reaching around the Islands...

A-Syms, we have A-syms now... No good for W/Ls... And waterline... Fuck me... Let's go long distance, all reaching legs... Maybe we can correct up finally.

G

Yup, the boat didn't get hit but I did. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

It was a little staticy, wasn't it...

G

The real problem is that reaching legs are not fun. W/L's are cool becuase you need to decide how you approach the course, with reaching marks theres only one thing to do. W/L and the longer the leg the more choices you have to make, and the Hussey adds tide dead on the nose or kicking you in the ass, even better.

W/L's are more fun -

The real problem is that reaching legs are not fun. W/L's are cool becuase you need to decide how you approach the course, with reaching marks theres only one thing to do. The longer the leg the more choices you have to make, and the Hussey adds tide dead on the nose or kicking you in the ass, even better.

W/L's are more fun -

W/L's are like skiing on a carpet conveyor belt, it's just the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over

W/L's are like skiing on a carpet conveyor belt, it's just the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over

except...not

different breezes on the course, differents currents, etc make W/L's exciting

reaches are a snooze fest

except...not

different breezes on the course, differents currents, etc make W/L's exciting

reaches are a snooze fest

I will concede that a lot of people consider strict W/L to be the only "pure" racing. You guys are getting that on the outside line at the PHRF Maines, and the OD fleets get it all the time. But there are aspects of racing around the islands that are not at all a snooze fest. Regardless of the sailing angle, there's a fair amount of strategy involved with island-induced wind shifts, holes, currents, etc.

For example, I like the fact that, if the tide is cranking in Broad Sound and there isn't enough wind to overcome it, we can get out of the current, tack between Stockman and Bangs Islands, then get out to the G1 Gong while our previously unbeaten competitor parks in the sound, or better yet, gets pushed backwards by the tide. B)

But we're cruising class, and that's a different animal from Racing A.

I will concede that a lot of people consider strict W/L to be the only "pure" racing. You guys are getting that on the outside line at the PHRF Maines, and the OD fleets get it all the time. But there are aspects of racing around the islands that are not at all a snooze fest. Regardless of the sailing angle, there's a fair amount of strategy involved with island-induced wind shifts, holes, currents, etc.

For example, I like the fact that, if the tide is cranking in Broad Sound and there isn't enough wind to overcome it, we can get out of the current, tack between Stockman and Bangs Islands, then get out to the G1 Gong while our previously unbeaten competitor parks in the sound, or better yet, gets pushed backwards by the tide. B)

But we're cruising class, and that's a different animal from Racing A.

Couldn't agree more.

Also, back in the day, the Finn Gold Cup course

and even America's Cup courses had two reaches in them.

The reach to reach jibe was fun.

Reaching on a high performance boat was fun.

Trying to slam off a plain and skid around the leward mark was fun.

It was very competitive.

All about BOAT SPEED.

Couldn't agree more.

It was very competitive.

All about BOAT SPEED.

I would think that a good race course would test boats and crews on all points of sail, windward legs, leeward legs, and reaching legs...

a race full of reaching legs is not tactical.

races that are not tactical are not fun.

a long W/L course that is well done is the most tactical course you can have.

a reaching leg has no favored side, no alteration of course, no adjustment for a lift or a header, no consideration for tide. you just point the boat and head right at the mark.

The reaching legs that we do in GMORA racing are wierd they don't even compare to AC or other courses with an offset reaching leg, Islands are great and are great to be in the mix but put the windward mark to windward.

Maybe class A boats have a different preference

Couldn't agree more.

It was very competitive.

All about BOAT SPEED.

Gold cup courses are predominantly w/l. just one offset mark for one leg. It would be nice to have courses that were generally w/l. If 60% of the course is a point to point dragrace it takes away a lot of the tactics and fun.

a race full of reaching legs is not tactical.

races that are not tactical are not fun.

a long W/L course that is well done is the most tactical course you can have.

a reaching leg has no favored side, no alteration of course, no adjustment for a lift or a header, no consideration for tide. you just point the boat and head right at the mark.

The reaching legs that we do in GMORA racing are wierd they don't even compare to AC or other courses with an offset reaching leg, Islands are great and are great to be in the mix but put the windward mark to windward.

Maybe class A boats have a different preference

In no way was anyone advocating for a "race full of reaching legs." Didn't Catamount say windward, leeward, AND reaching legs? Mix it up! And rest assured if RCs starting doing strict W/L, you'd have just as many people complaining about lack of reaching legs. Can't please everyone all the time.

To say that reaching legs have no consideration for tide is utter BS. You've got to compensate for tide no matter what point of sail you are on. I remember finishing a Yarmouth Cup once - on a reach - the guy driving had to point the bow something like 30 degrees off, sight a range, and keep it there just to make the line. Made for some interesting conversation at the time.

Dirtdog, you also seem to be misplacing the blame for the "weird" reaching legs on GMORA. The races themselves are not typically run by GMORA. They are run by the RC at the host yacht club. Occasionally GMORA will provide a PRO or committee member, but in most cases, GMORA is not involved with running the race or setting the course. It scores for the series.

Finally, if you are so unhappy with the courses set by the various RCs perhaps you might consider volunteering for RC sometime and show them how it's done. Or do what's been mentioned many times on SA: go one-design.

In no way was anyone advocating for a "race full of reaching legs." Didn't Catamount say windward, leeward, AND reaching legs? Mix it up! And rest assured if RCs starting doing strict W/L, you'd have just as many people complaining about lack of reaching legs. Can't please everyone all the time.

To say that reaching legs have no consideration for tide is utter BS. You've got to compensate for tide no matter what point of sail you are on. I remember finishing a Yarmouth Cup once - on a reach - the guy driving had to point the bow something like 30 degrees off, sight a range, and keep it there just to make the line. Made for some interesting conversation at the time.

Dirtdog, you also seem to be misplacing the blame for the "weird" reaching legs on GMORA. The races themselves are not typically run by GMORA. They are run by the RC at the host yacht club. Occasionally GMORA will provide a PRO or committee member, but in most cases, GMORA is not involved with running the race or setting the course. It scores for the series.

Finally, if you are so unhappy with the courses set by the various RCs perhaps you might consider volunteering for RC sometime and show them how it's done. Or do what's been mentioned many times on SA: go one-design.

I have volunteered for RCs many times, and in spite of my best efforts, I have never had much impact on the shape of the course. Unfortunately phrf and most handicap systems seem to work much better on w/l courses. I dont think anyone is arguing for strict w/l with drop marks. ...merely suggesting that courses that are generally w/l are more fun/tactical/better test of sailing skills.

GMORA should have some influence over course selection, thats why I mentioned GMORA. I do understand the whole club thing.

begging for W/L's from RC's in Maine is not new. and yes govt. marks are fine - if the wind direction is off use a reach to get us to a good windward position for the majority of the race.

The point about tides not having an affect on a club race reach leg is that there is no choice on what to do, the tide may influence what you do but there is no opportunity to capatilize on it, the choice is obvious -head at the mark. Yarmouth Cup is around 190 miles the tactical call on tide is important and very different then a club race.

I think my frustration just comes from another pilot race which could have had some great courses. The first mark started out great, second mark was well placed...........then we had a parade. Maybe some think the courses are great? I think they are weird. I have been out there for a long time so the wierd reaching legs we do in Maine haven't scared me off but I do think it is perfectly acceptable to expect more from our RC's and to improve on what are not tactical races and this is a good forum to discuss it.

GMORA should have some influence over course selection, thats why I mentioned GMORA. I do understand the whole culb thing.

begging for W/L's from RC's in Maine is not new. and yes govt. marks are fine - if the wind direction is off use a reach to get us to a good windward position for the majority of the race.

The point about tides not having an affect on a club race reach leg is that there is no choice on what to do, the tide may influence what you do but there is no opportunity to capatilize on it, the choice is obvious -head at the mark. Yarmouth Cup is around 190 miles the tactical call on tide is important and very different then a club race.

I think my frustration just comes from another pilot race which could have had some great courses. The first mark started out great, second mark was well placed...........then we had a parade. Maybe some think the courses are great? I think they are weird. I have been out there for a long time so the wierd reaching legs we do in Maine haven't scared me off but I do think it is perfectly acceptable to expect more from our RC's and to improve on what are not tactical races and this is a good forum to discuss it.

Did you ever consider talking to the RC and telling them what you like before the race? This is actually not a good forum to discuss it. The best forum would be at the club, beer in hand, in the presence of the PRO. Otherwise, you might as well be talking to yourself.

GMORA should have some influence over course selection, thats why I mentioned GMORA. I do understand the whole culb thing.

Influence over course selection? It's always been my understanding that GMORA is a scoring organization, but the new race management page tells me otherwise. I'm not sure how much influence the volunteers of GMORA can exert on the volunteers of any given YC or RC. Speaking of volunteering, seems like you have much to contribute. Shall we sign you up?

The point about tides not having an affect on a club race reach leg is that there is no choice on what to do, the tide may influence what you do but there is no opportunity to capatilize on it, the choice is obvious -head at the mark.

No, not necessarily, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "head at the mark." Sometimes if you "head at the mark" (i.e. point the bow at the mark) and the tide is pushing you one way or another, you will not get to the mark in the most expeditious manner. Sometimes you have to point higher or lower to get to the mark quicker. Of course the most experienced/skilled skippers/tacticians know that, but some do not.

Did you ever consider talking to the RC and telling them what you like before the race? This is actually not a good forum to discuss it. The best forum would be at the club, beer in hand, in the presence of the PRO. Otherwise, you might as well be talking to yourself.

Yeah, but bitching on SA is so much more fun and a great way to break the tedium at work!

Seriously, I don't know if immediately before the race is the best time to do it, and besides we don't serve beer at skippers meetings (except for the Monhegan and MS of course). A little more lead time might be appropriate,depending on the club.

The GMORA web site at www.gmora.org has a page with all the officers and directors listed on it. Each member yacht club has a director. Perhaps an e-mail to the director from the appropriate club, followed up with a phone call and/or informal personal contact, might be good way to go.

maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "head at the mark." Sometimes if you "head at the mark" (i.e. point the bow at the mark) and the tide is pushing you one way or another, you will not get to the mark in the most expeditious manner. Sometimes you have to point higher or lower to get to the mark quicker. Of course the most experienced/skilled skippers/tacticians know that, but some do not.

cog

cog

Ah, I get it. But you didn't answer my first question, so I'll restate the context and the question: I'm not sure how much influence the volunteers of GMORA can exert on the volunteers of any given YC or RC. Speaking of volunteering, seems like you have much to contribute. Shall we sign you up?

Ah, I get it. But you didn't answer my first question, so I'll restate the context and the question: I'm not sure how much influence the volunteers of GMORA can exert on the volunteers of any given YC or RC. Speaking of volunteering, seems like you have much to contribute. Shall we sign you up?

maybe GMORA could simply recommend a prefered type of course to YC's. marks to windward etc.

Signing up? Unfortunitely this year nobody would be impressed with my attendance. Thank you for the thoughtful offer.

maybe GMORA could simply recommend a prefered type of course to YC's. marks to windward etc.

Signing up? Unfortunitely this year nobody would be impressed with my attendance. Thank you for the thoughtful offer.

Well, so far I don't think anyone can declare with any kind of authority what type of course is "preferred." Some, like you, prefer strictly W/L; others have said mix it up with reaching. IOW, what is preferred by you might not be preferred by everyone. I'd suggest a poll but considering not everyone participates here, the results would not be valid. Besides, the memories of food fight over class breaks are way too painful.

You know, I wrote a long post about GMORA's role, membership opinions and how to determine them, and how to interface with the clubs, before deciding that its too hard to care at this point. There's a way to cause GMORA to act for its members, and a realm in which it can act and another in which it cannot act. Join us at a meeting, express an opinion, bring a vote, then carry the message to the clubs. Or don't. Whatever.

wow, really started something here...

Yeah, but bitching on SA is so much more fun and a great way to break the tedium at work!

true! driving that launch all day is so tedious.... i sometimes wish i didnt have to work in the sun all day.... its really tough :P:P

last thing i'll say is it sucks when the races pretty much boil down to waterline

last thing i'll say is it sucks when the races pretty much boil down to waterline

Unless you're the one with waterline. :o

I haven't checked but I suspect these comments aren't coming from last weeks winners, eh?

W/L are the only way to good racing the whole way through the race, apologies to the cruising class. W/L are tactical up, and they're tactical down. Reaches can be tactical to an extent but they're mainly about boatspeed and in a handicap fleet where everyone is sailing a different boat with different capabilities it takes alot of the fun away; frankly even in OD fleets reaching is boring. W/L where windshifts and puffs/lulls and etc still matter downwind as well as up are infinately better. Im still somewhat amazed (no offense intended) that the idea that the rock dodging reach around courses are somehow better racing, Id have hoped that idea went out a long long time ago. If you just want to reach and go fast, go sail a multihull. W/L for real sailboats are the way it should be. (:)) Sorry for those who have asym chutes (which is not many of us this year) but you can still be perfectly competitive on a W/L course.

But whatever...you can't really beat racing in places like Falmouth and Boothbay and Freeport and Camden in the summetime though, can you, no matter what the courses look like.

Question for dirtdog, flyonwall, gobbluth, snakepliskin, and anyone else that has a gripe about GMORA, scoring, courses, and what not:

I don't have a positive ID on any of the four of you, although I do have an idea on which boats some (not all) of you race.

Are any of you members of GMORA?

Put differently, if you're an owner/skipper (I suspect not) did you pay for your boat's PHRF cert and GMORA membership; if you are not an owner/skipper, did you pay the $10 for an individual GMORA membership?

Have you encouraged your skippers to bring their concerns to either the host YC's RC, or to a GMORA board member (listed under "Officers and Directors" at www.GMORA.org)?

GMORA exists to serve its membership. There are channels that members can use to bring forth their suggestions, concerns, etc. It would be a refreshing change if members would provide constructive input through those channels instead reading the same whinings on an internet forum over and over again. You all may have some great ideas, but it is unfortunate that you won't (1) make any effort put them through the proper channels (i.e. through your skipper to GMORA), or (2) join GMORA and offer a few hours of volunteer time to help the three or four people who are doing 90 percent of the work.

Everyone go to your Happy rooms right now!!!

I will send in $10 for Dirtdogs Membership to GMORA.

Well crap! I thought I had it nailed who dirtdog raced for... not even sure WTF he is now. :)

Kitty... I hope to be in my happy room... purring... at 2100 hours on Monday 25 June. That's when I get done with my business strategy class.

ok I wasnt trying to suggest gmora needs to change, nor did i mean to offend anyone. I was merely stating my opinions in contrast to others, arguing for the sake of arguing, really. I've been racing the circuit for three years now and i really have no complaints for gmora and the host clubs. They do an awesome job and there really isnt any better way to spend weekends up here

as for a positive ID... ckoch if you are who i think you are i'm the guy that drove you to your boat at CYC... there...my cover is blown

Your right about the brains of the group. Tuckerman will racing for PYC this year, hence the boat being on a slip. Now I'm sure we met ("wicked" good looking one). Thanks for clarifying that for me. I think Bandito is the sister ship. When I was up there last week saw her out of the water. Looks very similar. Should make for some great racing this summer. We will have a very large learning curve. New boat, new location, no crew.

Barley - saw the boat at MYS last night. Looking Good. PM'd you about some crew info.

Mark

ok I wasnt trying to suggest gmora needs to change, nor did i mean to offend anyone. I was merely stating my opinions in contrast to others, arguing for the sake of arguing, really. I've been racing the circuit for three years now and i really have no complaints for gmora and the host clubs. They do an awesome job and there really isnt any better way to spend weekends up here

as for a positive ID... ckoch if you are who i think you are i'm the guy that drove you to your boat at CYC... there...my cover is blown

LMAO!!! Okay.

Edited to add: No offense taken. Simply trying to get people to understand GMORA's purpose and to point out (again) that there are channels through which one can go to express their concerns about how things are going out there. Just seems like so often, the ones who are complaining the most are the ones least likely to step up to the plate and do something constructive.

Hey looks like 10-15 tomorrow, but from the northwest. Not the best true W/L, but good for boat speed maybe.

Hey looks like 10-15 tomorrow, but from the northwest. Not the best true W/L, but good for boat speed maybe.

Finally, GMORA is coming through with some wind. C Koch why couldn't GMORA supply more wind for Boothbay, Southport or the second half of Camden Castine last year? Nice Job with Monhegan.

Finally, GMORA is coming through with some wind. C Koch why couldn't GMORA supply more wind for Boothbay, Southport or the second half of Camden Castine last year? Nice Job with Monhegan.

We just need this - in reverse of course:

wind1.jpg

Question for dirtdog, flyonwall, gobbluth, snakepliskin, and anyone else that has a gripe about GMORA, scoring, courses, and what not:

I don't have a positive ID on any of the four of you, although I do have an idea on which boats some (not all) of you race.

Put differently, if you're an owner/skipper (I suspect not) did you pay for your boat's PHRF cert and GMORA membership; if you are not an owner/skipper, did you pay the $10 for an individual GMORA membership?

Have you encouraged your skippers to bring their concerns to either the host YC's RC, or to a GMORA board member (listed under "Officers and Directors" at www.GMORA.org)?

GMORA exists to serve its membership. There are channels that members can use to bring forth their suggestions, concerns, etc. It would be a refreshing change if members would provide constructive input through those channels instead reading the same whinings on an internet forum over and over again. You all may have some great ideas, but it is unfortunate that you won't (1) make any effort put them through the proper channels (i.e. through your skipper to GMORA), or (2) join GMORA and offer a few hours of volunteer time to help the three or four people who are doing 90 percent of the work.

those who run GMORA do a great job. Never meant to imply otherwise, I have done my share in the 23 years ive been sailing here. Just stating an opinion that I think alot of people share, which is what this forum is for, right?

WORD!

Everyone go to your Happy rooms right now!!!

I will send in $10 for Dirtdogs Membership to GMORA.

Soggy Dollar is in his very happy room....... See you all tomorrow morning, looks like some good breeze.

Soggy Dollar is in his very happy room....... See you all tomorrow morning, looks like some good breeze.

10-15 out of the Northwest? we may have a chance to see what the new girl can do. See you all tomorrow. the flying tiger going to be there?

10-15 out of the Northwest? we may have a chance to see what the new girl can do. See you all tomorrow. the flying tiger going to be there?

BH is in Portugal floating around with the 470s. Should be good to go for ... whatever's after Harraseeket in 2 weeks, can't remember. Southport?

BH is in Portugal floating around with the 470s. Should be good to go for ... whatever's after Harraseeket in 2 weeks, can't remember. Southport?

PHRF Maines in two weeks. I hope we can finally do some reaching legs... I'm tired of all this W/L crap. And while we're at it, maybe someone could look into some better class breaks? A-Zero maybe? k? Thanks.

G

hahahaha

PHRF Maines in two weeks. I hope we can finally do some reaching legs... I'm tired of all this W/L crap. And while we're at it, maybe someone could look into some better class breaks? A-Zero maybe? k? Thanks.

G

hahahaha

At least it was a fun day to be a part of the parade.

At least it was a fun day to be a part of the parade.

I will concede tactics did not exactly play much of a role out there, except maybe which side of Whaleboat to sail on. Yesterday was all about boat speed. I wouldn't exactly call it a snooze -- it was a pretty busy day for the helmspeople and the trimmers.

Other than almost putting stickboy overboard, it was a pretty good day on the water.

What did he finally do to earn a kick over the rail? And why did you desist?

I swear it wasn't on purpose! Combo of fluttering leech due to f***ing leechline cleat that won't hold, severe angle of heel requiring stickboy to wrap arm around boom to keep from going overboard while recleating said f***ing leechline, and yours truly, with both helm and mainsheet, releasing the latter in a valient effort to not round up.

Oops. Sorry honey!

G

hahahaha

post-5090-1182701438_thumb.jpg

Any results from Saturday?

Here are the results. Don't ask me about the class break between A and B and why C-C-Courage and Keemah were grouped with A. I didn't run the race and was not involved in setting the classes. I would like to point out, however, that for the first time in my recollection, some of the cruising boats finished ahead of some of the A boats, particularly the racing sleds. That doesn't happen very often so I must gloat while I have the chance! :P

Racing A

1. Keemah

2. Beausoleil

3. KAOS

4. Wiley

5. C-C- Courage

6. Scaramouche

7. Beagle

8. Stories

9. Bandito

10. Revolution IX

11. Big Dog Party

12. Pain Killer

Racing B

1. Pit Party

2. Roach Coach

3. Milady

4. SnowBird

5. Akela

Cruising

1. Nipantuck

2. Ajax

3. Rita P.

4. Winter's Dream

5. Fearless

6. Cats Paw

7. Red Boat

8. Cordelia

9. August Sun

10. Jan

Here are the results. Don't ask me about the class break between A and B and why C-C-Courage and Keemah were grouped with A. I didn't run the race and was not involved in setting the classes. I would like to point out, however, that for the first time in my recollection, some of the cruising boats finished ahead of some of the A boats, particularly the racing sleds. That doesn't happen very often so I must gloat while I have the chance! :P

Racing A

1. Keemah

2. Beausoleil

3. KAOS

4. Wiley

5. C-C- Courage

6. Scaramouche

7. Beagle

8. Stories

9. Bandito

10. Revolution IX

11. Big Dog Party

12. Pain Killer

Racing B

1. Pit Party

2. Roach Coach

3. Milady

4. SnowBird

5. Akela

Cruising

1. Nipantuck

2. Ajax

3. Rita P.

4. Winter's Dream

5. Fearless

6. Cats Paw

7. Red Boat

8. Cordelia

9. August Sun

10. Jan

wow

wow

yeah. 15-25kts of breeze, 16 mile run-reach-reach course and pursuit starts gives you results that are pretty much inverse to everyone's ratings, finishes pretty much in the order of the starts, or near enough.

Fun day on the bay, though, despite the fact that I'm not sure you'd call this regatta a "regatta" as such.

But I'll stop before I get in trouble again...:)

yeah. 15-25kts of breeze, 16 mile run-reach-reach course and pursuit starts gives you results that are pretty much inverse to everyone's ratings, finishes pretty much in the order of the starts, or near enough.

Fun day on the bay, though, despite the fact that I'm not sure you'd call this regatta a "regatta" as such.

They shot guns, we sailed, there was beer. Regatta. :P

If it's any consolation, this is not how it usually turns out. As one who has been either the rabbit or the second boat to start for a lot of years, it is extremely rare for us to not get passed by nearly every other boat in the fleet. Rather refreshing, too. And wet!

If it's any consolation, this is not how it usually turns out. As one who has been either the rabbit or the second boat to start for a lot of years, it is extremely rare for us to not get passed by nearly every other boat in the fleet. Rather refreshing, too. And wet!

oh ive done the regatta for years, like it generally, have even won it now and again, both before and after the current pursuit format. with a predominant breeze it's a pretty good race. anyone remember, I think it was 98 or thereabouts, when it mustve blown 35 the whole way round? THAT was a crazy day.

oh ive done the regatta for years, like it generally, have even won it now and again, both before and after the current pursuit format. with a predominant breeze it's a pretty good race. anyone remember, I think it was 98 or thereabouts, when it mustve blown 35 the whole way round? THAT was a crazy day.

oh, yea, I was in the unenviable position of being on the committee boat. A lot of people haven't forgotten that one.

maybe 08 should be the year-

12 boats in A class currently builing to 15-16 boats by year end (hallett 33, flying Tiger, Tripp 47, Sheerness)

16 boats in A

currently 2 in B

When is the time right? Where do you think the breaks should happen?

This is a post meant for developing a dialog concerning class breaks in Maine and should in no way be interpurted as complaining, whining or bitching. This post may or maynot represent the views of the author :)

maybe 08 should be the year-

12 boats in A class currently builing to 15-16 boats by year end (hallett 33, flying Tiger, Tripp 47, Sheerness)

16 boats in A

currently 2 in B

When is the time right? Where do you think the breaks should happen?

This is a post meant for developing a dialog concerning class breaks in Maine and should in no way be interpurted as complaining, whining or bitching. This post may or maynot represent the views of the author :)

Having A @ 57 and lower would have all of the boats, in class A, rating within 1 minute per mile of the current scratch boat at -3. B = 60 - 102... it might also be a good split for numbers in each class. Hypothetically speaking of course.

PYC Race Committee has already taken up the conversation for PHRF. It will be determined in twelve days, I believe you will see adjusted breaks. They may not set the standard for the rest of the season but it will be a start.

Meanwhile here’s a question/reminder for all you scorers out there:

When figuring time on distance from negative to positive numbers zero (0) is ignored (or so I have been told in the past). In other words -3 to +6 is a nine minute spread – not ten. If that is the case how can a boat have a rating of zero?

Either zero is a placeholder or it isn’t.

PYC Race Committee has already taken up the conversation for PHRF. It will be determined in twelve days, I believe you will see adjusted breaks. They may not set the standard for the rest of the season but it will be a start.

Meanwhile here’s a question/reminder for all you scorers out there:

When figuring time on distance from negative to positive numbers zero (0) is ignored (or so I have been told in the past). In other words -3 to +6 is a nine minute spread – not ten. If that is the case how can a boat have a rating of zero?

Either zero is a placeholder or it isn’t.

I'd send the question to John Collins for the correct answer...he's a member of Sailing Anarchy.