Gulf of maine scuttlebut

Owner keeps too much beer on ice.

How can that be? Never in my life did I ever imagine doggone uttering (typing?) the phrase "too much beer." :)

Boozebay wasn't the same without you.

JH Hawk's was CLOSED!!! They did have a help wanted sign on the door though. I think the activity moved to McSeagulls. There was the usual debauchery at Rocktide, including blender drinks (there are now two Vortexes in the fleet!).

I hope you weren't looking for results. I'm sure they exist, just haven't gotten my hands on them yet.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

How can that be? Never in my life did I ever imagine doggone uttering (typing?) the phrase "too much beer." :)

Boozebay wasn't the same without you.

JH Hawk's was CLOSED!!! They did have a help wanted sign on the door though. I think the activity moved to McSeagulls. There was the usual debauchery at Rocktide, including blender drinks (there are now two Vortexes in the fleet!).

I hope you weren't looking for results. I'm sure they exist, just haven't gotten my hands on them yet.

Uh, I think I was being cynical, but....

Two Vortexes on the same dock?! Wouldn't that create a Black Hole!? Hope the Blue Hairs on the porch were properly entertained.

I have a warm hole in my liver thinking about McSeagulls. I remember going in there in the 1970s, shouting down the band and singing all 99 verses of bottles of beer on the wall...

As there was no mention of any racing highlights, should I read into that? I'll patiently await results, though, I promise.

Uh, I think I was being cynical, but....

Two Vortexes on the same dock?! Wouldn't that create a Black Hole!? Hope the Blue Hairs on the porch were properly entertained.

I have a warm hole in my liver thinking about McSeagulls. I remember going in there in the 1970s, shouting down the band and singing all 99 verses of bottles of beer on the wall...

As there was no mention of any racing highlights, should I read into that? I'll patiently await results, though, I promise.

I'll leave the A fleet to talk about highlights. With the exception of an 80-foot megayacht messing with us little guys in his usual fashion, our class didn't have a lot of excitement.

The first race we were late to the line and didn't make time to back down the boat or do a set or anything, which was my fault. Therefore, we sailed the whole race with a bunch of weed collected from the power out.

Should have called me up in Portugal and I would have told you about the KELP CUTTER :o

For my first-ever real race, I really enjoyed sailing with you all at Boothbay this past weekend. With our little orange boat rating at 285 and finishing DFL both days, it felt like bringing a wet noodle to a sword fight, but we had a lot of fun anyways. My tactician felt years younger. We'll be back next year with an actual sword, blunt-edged perhaps but still a sword, and hopefully we'll get in more than just one weekend of racing.

I must say that you have my respect and admiration for that race Sunday. I am truly impressed. And you were competative too! 14 seconds after - what 5 hours of racing? Nice job.

Looking for a little help here.............

I didn't get Saturday's scores before they got merged into the whole weekend. Can anyone tell me how many races each (or any!) class did Saturday and how many on Sunday? I think I can figure out Cruising Class but how about A, B, D and 105s?

Thanks in advance.

Results for the curious:

1st A BANDITO

2nd A HANKERIN

3rd A SCARAMOUCHE

4th A KAOS

5th A PAIN KILLER

6th A REVOLUTION 2

7th A WILEY

8th A SHEERNESS

9th A TAMARACK

10th A WHITECAP

11th A REVOLUTION IX

1st B PHOENIX

2nd B VAPOR TRAIL

3rd B SNOWBIRD

4th B ROACH COACH

5th B C-C-COURAGE

6th B RED BOAT

1st Cruising CATS PAW

2nd Cruising NIPANTUCK

3rd Cruising RITA P

4th Cruising ZEALOT

5th Cruising FEARLESS

6th Cruising AJAX

7th Cruising TOO ELUSIVE

8th Cruising RECHARGE

9th Cruising QUASAR

10th Cruising SNAPDRAGON II

1st D PIT PARTY

2nd D RAINIER

3rd D MIMOSA

4th D FASTER

5th D ALL THAT JAZZ

1st J105 GHOST

2nd J105 UPROAR III

3rd J105 KEEMAH

4th J105 GINGER ALE II

Results for the curious:

1st A BANDITO

2nd A HANKERIN

3rd A SCARAMOUCHE

4th A KAOS

5th A PAIN KILLER

6th A REVOLUTION 2

7th A WILEY

8th A SHEERNESS

9th A TAMARACK

10th A WHITECAP

11th A REVOLUTION IX

1st B PHOENIX

2nd B VAPOR TRAIL

3rd B SNOWBIRD

4th B ROACH COACH

5th B C-C-COURAGE

6th B RED BOAT

1st Cruising CATS PAW

2nd Cruising NIPANTUCK

3rd Cruising RITA P

4th Cruising ZEALOT

5th Cruising FEARLESS

6th Cruising AJAX

7th Cruising TOO ELUSIVE

8th Cruising RECHARGE

9th Cruising QUASAR

10th Cruising SNAPDRAGON II

1st D PIT PARTY

2nd D RAINIER

3rd D MIMOSA

4th D FASTER

5th D ALL THAT JAZZ

1st J105 GHOST

2nd J105 UPROAR III

3rd J105 KEEMAH

4th J105 GINGER ALE II

Humm, interesting results for an interesting weekend!! I missed the awards presentation, but was told results were different in class B and D?

Humm, interesting results for an interesting weekend!! I missed the awards presentation, but was told results were different in class B and D?

These are the results as provided by BHYC. They gave them to us in Rinderle (GMORA purposes) so I eyeballed them for low point (individual regatta scoring) and in Class B, there was a three-way tie on low point with the top three boats -- Phoenix, Vapor Trail, and Snowbird -- each having seven points.

Class D is correct also. There was tie breaker that put Faster ahead of All That Jazz.

For an explanation of tie breakers, check Appendixes 8.1 and 8.2 here: Tie breakers

The awards had been handed out by the time we got to the Yacht Club, but apparently for the purposes of handing out trophies, they re-combined B and D back into a B-C class, even though they had raced separately. I don't know how they did it, but I guess it was confusing and pissed a few people off.

CKoch, did the results you get have the details of the times for each of the races, or just the total points? I'ld be interested in studying the times for our class if you have them.

The awards had been handed out by the time we got to the Yacht Club, but apparently for the purposes of handing out trophies, they re-combined B and D back into a B-C class, even though they had raced separately. I don't know how they did it, but I guess it was confusing and pissed a few people off.

CKoch, did the results you get have the details of the times for each of the races, or just the total points? I'ld be interested in studying the times for our class if you have them.

Argh, should have begged for a later ride so we could catch the awards, and "dammit I had a meal ticket!" Sorry, private joke -- sshow would laugh at it. We missed good beer, too. Ugh.

As I posted earlier, that's how I got 'em, and I copied and pasted from the spreadsheet. Each GMORA member will get her proper Rinderle points to be applied to her class as defined by GMORA. I'll check with the regatta scorer (not stickboy) and ask how the individual regatta was scored. Man this can be confusing, but thank you for pointing that out.

I'll see if I can get stickboy to give you the times.

Let's see if this works:

results

Post race at the Rocktide. Tamarack, Scaramouche, and Revo 2 rafted. More on Kaos behind photographer. Sorry to those who missed it. TH

post-12502-1184633470_thumb.jpg

Drunkin Dunkin in classic form...

Post race at the Rocktide. Tamarack, Scaramouche, and Revo 2 rafted. More on Kaos behind photographer. Sorry to those who missed it. TH

post-12502-1184633470_thumb.jpg

I see Hussey hiding in the back of the boat.

TH, I'm impressed with your affinity for high tech pic uploading! There must be more riske pics. WE WANT SKIN! Compromising positions...bring it!!

Well the forecast of the breeze clocking right never happened and we needed to tack out of the bay instead of the lift we had hoped to find (and NOAA tempted us with).

We had a squal of 35 knots to hours of zero breeze.

The race was a lot of fun, Kitty put together a good crew. It was great to sail with all on board.

Kitty, thanks for the ride.

Great Ride Kitty!!! Thanks for having me along for the ride! Girls like to have fun and race. This race had it all!! I have never done so many head sail changes and spinnaker peers in and race before. Let's not forget the 50 Bar's and 50 beer challenge in Halifax. I'm not sure on final number but Kitty, Wussell and I were somewhere around 20 by 2 am when they wouldn't let us in the Liquor Dome because someone was staggering. Dirt dog you should have stayed longer fun was had by all on the 50/50 challenge. But we lost BoBo somewhere in teen. Again Thanks Kitty for all the fun both on the water and land, Just A Girl

I see Hussey hiding in the back of the boat.

TH, I'm impressed with your affinity for high tech pic uploading! There must be more riske pics. WE WANT SKIN! Compromising positions...bring it!!

Sorry Doggone... the inflatable girlfriend did not make any appearance that I am aware of. :D Of course, we opted not to go to McSeagull's so I could be wrong...

Great Ride Kitty!!! Thanks for having me along for the ride! Girls like to have fun and race. This race had it all!! I have never done so many head sail changes and spinnaker peers in and race before. Let's not forget the 50 Bar's and 50 beer challenge in Halifax. I'm not sure on final number but Kitty, Wussell and I were somewhere around 20 by 2 am when they wouldn't let us in the Liquor Dome because someone was staggering. Dirt dog you should have stayed longer fun was had by all on the 50/50 challenge. But we lost BoBo somewhere in teen. Again Thanks Kitty for all the fun both on the water and land, Just A Girl

50 beers in 50 bars, aye. The last bar I remember was number 16, it looked like a swanky library and I had a Grey Goose on the rocks and argued it should count as two.

50 beers in 50 bars, aye. The last bar I remember was number 16, it looked like a swanky library and I had a Grey Goose on the rocks and argued it should count as two.

What happened to V-tech, was he conducting bussiness that evening?

BoBo the Hobo what happened to you? You disappeared after that Library bar. And I think I remember hearing the rules of 50/50 challenge could change as we go.

What happened to V-tech, was he conducting bussiness that evening?

Hey Dirtdog we meet up with V-tech and his girl after the library bar and they join us for a few. He's a good all around sailor!!! I hope Kitty can get him for PHRF NE.

I hope I get a chance to race again with you and BoBo the Hobo you guys where great!!!

Anyone want to charter a Class A boat for this weekend? Seriously... can't believe our band is boatless on Wed afternoon...

Hey Barley - How about brining your new sled up to Southport for a shake down?? Looks like there is plenty of experienced crew to be found.

Sorry guys. I can not go this weekend. I have to work. Trying to get out asap. Maybe the following weekend. I think that is the Handy boat thing? Also hopefully Monhegan and/or MS regatta and some thursdays. I will keep you all informed. It's killing me to not be racing. Just a bad year time wise.

Should have called me up in Portugal and I would have told you about the KELP CUTTER :o

Used the kelp cutter in the between races to see if it worked and during the second race. Not sure it really did anything? But we could have been using it improperly.

Anyone else hear crickets chirping? Kinda quiet 'round here

78 second spread in class A - which boats should have been in the two boat class?

Thanks for results. Nice goin!

Big upsets in cruising class this weekend...

Actually Cats Paw coming out on top isn't really an upset. The boat is fast and well prepped and the skipper is good. But I'm with you on the rest of the results! It was an interesting weekend.

What's the deal with NORTHSTAR taking 17 hours(!) to get around Saturday's course?

That's got to be an error in entering their finsihing time, doesn't it?

What's the deal with NORTHSTAR taking 17 hours(!) to get around Saturday's course?

That's got to be an error in entering their finsihing time, doesn't it?

I think it's called a "payback" for protesting the race commettie. :lol:

I think it's called a "payback" for protesting the race commettie. :lol:

LOL... nah, just a typo... I think finish time should have been 15:min:sec not 05:min:sec. I crunched the numbers and Recharge still corrected on her Saturday.

Thanks for results. Nice goin!

Thanks, but trust me, it wasn't pretty. Butch rounded the same mark 6 times winding and unwinding his string just to accomplish one rounding. But I can confidently say I have the best navigator in the fleet.

Obviously participation was down due to the wide class spread. :P

Hmmm... Cruising had a spread of 165 (81 to 246) and it had the biggest class there! :P back at ya!

Hmmm... Cruising had a spread of 165 (81 to 246) and it had the biggest class there! :P back at ya!

Sorry to peak into your own private anarchy here, but ..........

spread of 165 and the biggest class??? WTF, a spread that big and the fast boats will finish before the slow boat starts! why not split it in 2 fleeets (or 4?)?

spread of 165 and the biggest class??? WTF, a spread that big and the fast boats will finish before the slow boat starts! why not split it in 2 fleeets (or 4?)?

sweat justice :lol:

If the fast boats are finishing before the slow boats start, the slow boats might want to work on getting to the line in a timelier fashion.

that was supposed to be humor...

When I say it was the biggest class, it's all relative. Cruising had seven boats; the next biggest class had six. Unfortunately, not the bst turnout for this particular race.

You can peek into this private anarchy any time. We even let southern New ENglanders sail with us sometimes. :)

name=gobbluth @ Jul 24 2007, 04:29 PM

If the fast boats are finishing before the slow boats start, the slow boats might want to work on getting to the line in a timelier fashion.

that was supposed to be humor...

Not sure what that was about, looks like someone deleted a post?

note that the discussion on reaching is based on an offset mark in a W/L course - nothing wrong with that. Although a good run is much better IMO. It's the reach, reach, reach triangles that are just awful.

PHRF Maine, Boothbay and Southport all had really good courses, tactical and well managed. Good job RC's

Local Knowledge.

I went back to the old country and visited Larchmont Race Week while you guys were in Southport.

It was interesting.

On Saturday we had a 13 to 18 knot northerly.

With a depth of about 35 feet, I had forgoten how choppy Western Long Island Sound can be.

Anyway, after the race, at the bar, I was talking to this Shields guy.

I know, old slugs. But, there were as bunch of them and you would think that after about 45 years in the same area they would have figured everything out a long time ago..

Not so.

He told me two litlle tricks.

One: in heavy air and choppy seas they race with the head stay tight, but the jib halyard loose (scalloped luff) and the leads forward!

The reason, a fuller more powerful jib helps trim the boat with the bow down.

And secondly, loose luff, draft back makes a thinner entry for the jib and closer angle to the wind.

Two: In heavy air down wind Shields roll in a frightening maner.

The remedy, this is so counter intuitive, they sail with the spinniker clue 4 to 6 feet from the pole!!!!

It absorbs the energy of the roll andmakes the boat much faster.

Who wudda thunk it?

What do you think?

note that the discussion on reaching is based on an offset mark in a W/L course - nothing wrong with that. Although a good run is much better IMO. It's the reach, reach, reach triangles that are just awful.

PHRF Maine, Boothbay and Southport all had really good courses, tactical and well managed. Good job RC's

Agreed, those courses weren't always completely square but that's pretty impossible in light shifty conditions as we've largely had this summer, most of us have probably been part of a RC for some event somewhere on a light shifty day, it's ultra challenging. Much, much better than reach-reach-reach ala Harraseeket this year.

Edited by snakepliskin
Agreed, those courses weren't always completely square but that's pretty impossible in light shifty conditions as we've largely had this summer, most of us have probably been part of a RC for some event somewhere on a light shifty day, it's ultra challenging. Much, much better than reach-reach-reach ala Harraseeket this year.

By the way, we have some racing this coming weekend. So, who is going to camden-castine and who is planning on attending Handy boat midsummer? Enquiring minds wanna know?

Handy's mid summer vs. Camden Castine...

Papa Smerf is going to Camden. I quess he needs the points.

There should only be one regatta

BDP will be at the real one. Will miss you guys,

Yep stinks splitting the fleet...and it was weird only having 5 boats last weekend....it's a lot more fun with 10-12 boats on the line. My guess is that if Papa Smerf starts doing Camden again it will either be the last mid-summer at handy or it will become the annual Treehugger Invitational....I loved the course 2 years ago O BOB.

Yep stinks splitting the fleet...and it was weird only having 5 boats last weekend....it's a lot more fun with 10-12 boats on the line. My guess is that if Papa Smerf starts doing Camden again it will either be the last mid-summer at handy or it will become the annual Treehugger Invitational....I loved the course 2 years ago O BOB.

Can't remember which year it was, possibly the same one you are referring to Soggy, but TH did an OUTSTANDING job with the course and running that race virtually siglehanded. We've been on the fence about whther to race this weekend, but we need points, too.

Hey Soggy, was that you following us back from SITR last Sunday evening? I heard radio traffic about trying to move a couple crew to another boat then heading south, then it sounded like you were bagging the idea, but it kinda looked like you behind us. It's nice to have a little company out there on these deliveries.

Can't remember which year it was, possibly the same one you are referring to Soggy, but TH did an OUTSTANDING job with the course and running that race virtually siglehanded. We've been on the fence about whther to race this weekend, but we need points, too.

Hey Soggy, was that you following us back from SITR last Sunday evening? I heard radio traffic about trying to move a couple crew to another boat then heading south, then it sounded like you were bagging the idea, but it kinda looked like you behind us. It's nice to have a little company out there on these deliveries.

That was us what a great night for a ride south. MH was awesome, he turned the moochie around and took 5 of our crew in to the dock, then we just headed south. I figure that MH saved us 1.5 hours on the delivery time. I was home by 8:45...beats the usual 11:00 on the mooring coming back from SouthPort. I figured that was you heading into Harraseeket, way to bang the corners and take the shortest inside route. My "navigator" wanted to go outside of Eagle...I said what are you nuts :lol: Snakepliskin was onboard and laughed his butt of at that dialogue.

That was us what a great night for a ride south. MH was awesome, he turned the moochie around and took 5 of our crew in to the dock, then we just headed south. I figure that MH saved us 1.5 hours on the delivery time. I was home by 8:45...beats the usual 11:00 on the mooring coming back from SouthPort. I figured that was you heading into Harraseeket, way to bang the corners and take the shortest inside route. My "navigator" wanted to go outside of Eagle...I said what are you nuts :lol: Snakepliskin was onboard and laughed his butt of at that dialogue.

That's our standard routine at SITR -- cross the line and head home (except last year when we went cruising).

Banging the corners gets real easy with the chart plotter taking most of the guesswork out. Outside of Eagle? WTF for??? LOL We've gone that route past the monument and through the red/green gate a bunch of times, including one or two in thick pea-soup fog with no GPS. It's a good thing there are so many birds nesting on Little Mark Island where the monument is -- if you can't see it, you sure can smell it!

Hey, does anybody have the info. for the Handy boat regatta this weekend? Can you sign up in the morning? Wondering because if the stars line up might be able to go racing.

Show and you're in...registration at 1015 skipper meeting at 1115.

That's our standard routine at SITR -- cross the line and head home (except last year when we went cruising).

Banging the corners gets real easy with the chart plotter taking most of the guesswork out. Outside of Eagle? WTF for??? LOL We've gone that route past the monument and through the red/green gate a bunch of times, including one or two in thick pea-soup fog with no GPS. It's a good thing there are so many birds nesting on Little Mark Island where the monument is -- if you can't see it, you sure can smell it!

I guess you can smell it....brings a whole new meaning to the expression "holy crap". It got really funny on the boat when we cut inside before Hope heading to Falmouth and the navigator thought Hope was actually Eagle.....He'll never be able to live that trip down :P

I guess you can smell it....brings a whole new meaning to the expression "holy crap". It got really funny on the boat when we cut inside before Hope heading to Falmouth and the navigator thought Hope was actually Eagle.....He'll never be able to live that trip down :P

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm getting a deeper understanding of the desire for windward/leewards!

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm getting a deeper understanding of the desire for windward/leewards!

LOL - nice, in reality he's really, really good....just a long day and a major brain cramp....but it was soooooo funny. I laughed all the way to Falmouth when we had Clapboard in site I said look there's Eagle...

He calls himself a navigator? Naviguesser is more like it! :D If that was Eagle, I'd wonder what the heck were all the other islands you passed before you got there.

Eagle = Tasteful Admiral Peary summer cottage at entrance to Casco Bay

Hope = Ugly monstrosity McMansion-style house and compound with heli-pad, horse stables, and private chapel

He calls himself a navigator? Naviguesser is more like it! :D If that was Eagle, I'd wonder what the heck were all the other islands you passed before you got there.

Eagle = Tasteful Admiral Peary summer cottage at entrance to Casco Bay

Hope = Ugly monstrosity McMansion-style house and compound with heli-pad, horse stables, and private chapel

Yeah - but you've got to take the alchol factor into account...He mistook the sheep on Hope for Admiral Peary.

"inside before Hope" WOW!

post-5090-1185502828_thumb.jpg

Ok, call me an idiot. I read this thread last night and looked on a chart for Hope Island. I know where Eagle is, but Hope I can not seem to find. I'll take all the razing. Someone help me out.

For all of you who did the passby to Cabaret last night, Thanks. My wife was really excited to see how nice everyone was and is getting the racing bug back.

Looks like we may be out sooner than later.

Ok, call me an idiot. I read this thread last night and looked on a chart for Hope Island. I know where Eagle is, but Hope I can not seem to find. I'll take all the razing. Someone help me out.

For all of you who did the passby to Cabaret last night, Thanks. My wife was really excited to see how nice everyone was and is getting the racing bug back.

Hope is between the southern end of Chebeague and Cliff, which is why I can't imagine anyone mistaking it as Eagle! Here's a link to a chart showing both islands:

Chart showing Eagle and Hope Islands

Hope is between the southern end of Chebeague and Cliff, which is why I can't imagine anyone mistaking it as Eagle! Here's a link to a chart showing both islands:

Chart showing Eagle and Hope Islands

Thanks! I figured Hope would be north-east of Eagle not South-West. I would have to guess the rum was flowing steadily to make that mistake.

Thanks! I figured Hope would be north-east of Eagle not South-West. I would have to guess the rum was flowing steadily to make that mistake.

The part that was so funny was that when we went past Eagle we had a newbie aboard for the delivery and we explained who Admiral Peary was and what he did....15 minutes later the "navigator" looks up and says hey why are you going to cut inside Eagle....I said you're talking about what we did 15 min ago??? He say's no and points to Hope....yep a case of the one too many...

Barley, did a little gauking at your boat last night comming in after the race, and I must say she is beautiful!! Would love to have you join our little croud. If not weekends, at least join us for thursday nights, theres always room for one more on the line.