Gulf of maine scuttlebut

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Stealy is back...

I am coming to Maine for the Monhegan again. Last year was fun!

Is it too early for a New England's roll call? We would love to see you all come down.

BDP is questionable for the New Englands.

Edited by Kitty in Drag
BDP is questionable for the New Englands.

I'm thinking I hear a cry for help.

Are you looking for some crew, Kitty?

Let me say to anyone one out there, You'd be really lucky to go with Kitty.

You'd have the time of your life on a very hot boat, with a great skipper.

You can't get a better combination than that.

To apply, you need some experience.

You must be competitive and resilient.

You must be a good sport and ready to contribute your time, effort and skill.

In return you'll have more fun than we could even write about in SA

Edited by sailbad the sinner

I'm thinking I hear a cry for help.

Are you looking for some crew, Kitty?

Let me say to anyone one out there, You'd be really lucky to go with Kitty.

You'd have the time of your life on a very hot boat, with a great skipper

and a phenomenal party animal.

You can't get a better combination than that.

To apply, you need some experience.

You must be competitive and resilient.

You must be a good sport and ready to contribute your time, effort and skill.

In return you'll have more fun than we could even write about in SA

[/quote

Kitty, you're a tease...

Great job this weekend at Handy Boat Midsummer. But, definately time to invest in a GPS!! Thanks stickboy for the dark and dirties!! They worked very well. Hope we can raft up again soon. Show us some more hot spots in Casco. By the way, who was the photographer again on Enterprise? And how would someone get in cotact with him.

Great job this weekend at Handy Boat Midsummer. But, definately time to invest in a GPS!! Thanks stickboy for the dark and dirties!! They worked very well. Hope we can raft up again soon. Show us some more hot spots in Casco. By the way, who was the photographer again on Enterprise? And how would someone get in cotact with him.

Proof sheets posted at Handy Boat Dockstore today. Mostly Cruising Class. Call Handy Boat and ask for the dock. They will be able to tell you the contact info. TH

Does any one know of a launch ramp or dry sail hoist near Cousins Island that might let me put in.

I know about the one on the Royal River, but being that I have no engine... might be a bit narrow to tack my way out.

falmouth foreside town landing has a ramp. It's just to the right of the Portland yacht club (from the water looking to shore)

HandyBoat's got a lift. It's just to the left of Portland yacht club (from the water)

both on route 88

Edited by dirtdog

Hey, I recently received an e-mail inquiry from a sailor who owns a C&C 35 Mk I and who has crewed various beer can stuff -- she is looking for a ride in the Yarmouth Cup. Anyone know of crew needs for this race?

I know nothing of this person's skills/experience... just got an e-mail saying she's looking to crew and I told her I'd pass along any opportunities I heard about. Please PM if you know of anyone looking for warm bodies for that race.

I suggested she post here or on the crew pool site so maybe she'll speak up!

You would think that Camden being the Home of The Watson Family ( founders of IBM) someone would either own a computer or have the math skills to do this in a more timely manner.

maybe they are using punch cards.

4506VV4002.jpg

heehehheeeee

Maybe the scorer's white shirts are all at the laundry.

Camden News reports that numerous recounts have taken place based on a lot of hanging chads...

What's it worth to you? :P:P

About $65, oh wait we paid that already :)

teehee

Probably trying to help on the Hallett 33. What's up at Snow Is.?

Some sort of unofficial loosely organized rendezvous. A couple years ago, it was a lobster feed at the solo circumnavigator's place which involved massive amounts of Mt. Gay and rafted race boats dragging through the anchorage. More recently it has been a bring your own food affair. STC was involved a couple years ago; not sure about that now.

Probably trying to help on the Hallett 33. What's up at Snow Is.?

Probably nothin'. Papa Smurf was talking about inviting himself onto the island but I never heard anything more from him. I think we're going anyway, we make our own party everywhere we go anyway.

I am on my way up for Monhegan this weekend and the forecast does not look too bad. Hoping for a clear night sky.

We can all hope, but anyone that puts any credence into a Maine weather forecast more than 72 hours into the future does so at his own peril! :) We'll see what they're saying Wednesday, or more importantly, we'll see what actually happens Saturday.

Scratch Charsar, the back surgeon says NFW.........plus lobster pot trolling with bulb keel off Monhegan at midnight isn't too appealing....

Oh! but fresh lobster for the trip back to Portland is always good thing!! Think of the fun and food. Just remember to bring lots of butter.

Anyone need crew for monhegan this year? I sail on the St. Mary's College Pffshore team, racing a mod. taylor 40 rating 23 every day during the school year. I can do anything, little sketchy on the bow, trim headsails really well, and know this area, as i have been summering here every year.

Anyone need crew for monhegan this year? I sail on the St. Mary's College Pffshore team, racing a mod. taylor 40 rating 23 every day during the school year. I can do anything, little sketchy on the bow, trim headsails really well, and know this area, as i have been summering here every year.

Nutty did Monhegan on PK last year and he's great to have on board...like he says he can do anything, and is a lot of fun!! Nutty if I were doing the race you'd have a spot, but I have a family obligation this year. --Soggy

Nutty did Monhegan on PK last year and he's great to have on board...like he says he can do anything, and is a lot of fun!! Nutty if I were doing the race you'd have a spot, but I have a family obligation this year. --Soggy

Nutty-

We need crew on Big dog Party

Boathouse are you coming to The New Englands? I have not seen the FT up close yet.

The bath tub toy ;-) and a J/105 are the only boats registered from Maine right now.

See you all on Friday Night! Stealy standing by...

Probably not doing NEs this year because of timing and don't really have the boat tuned in yet (I haven't even sailed it yet because of my back). The Flying Tiger is in the PYC anchorage so go out and look at it. About half way out the fairway on the right....

Kitty, take nutty, he's good. Another SYC alum who is now killing it in college. Good to have you back in the area for a while Nutty. Coming to the open 420 races next week at SYC? Haven't seen you around yet. Pop in for a visit. Not that any of you would give up your precious helm but Nutty happens to be a pretty good driver too.......

Probably not doing NEs this year because of timing and don't really have the boat tuned in yet (I haven't even sailed it yet because of my back). The Flying Tiger is in the PYC anchorage so go out and look at it. About half way out the fairway on the right....

Thanks BH, I will have a look.

Looks like a good showing for Monhegan this year - Entry list on the website is a nice feature.

Stealy, standing by...

Kitty, take nutty, he's good. Another SYC alum who is now killing it in college. Good to have you back in the area for a while Nutty. Coming to the open 420 races next week at SYC? Haven't seen you around yet. Pop in for a visit. Not that any of you would give up your precious helm but Nutty happens to be a pretty good driver too.......

PAu Pau Pau

kitty looking for Nutty

Come in Nutty

Looks like a good showing for Monhegan this year - Entry list on the website is a nice feature.

yeah...

some interesting boats there....

and i wonder why faamu isn't listed in the multi class?

/c

Edited by suider
Boathouse are you coming to The New Englands? I have not seen the FT up close yet.

The bath tub toy ;-) and a J/105 are the only boats registered from Maine right now.

See you all on Friday Night! Stealy standing by...

The Flying Tiger might actually do New Englands this year. Char of CharSar will be home that week and is lobbying dad to let him take the boat down there. Probably will need 2-3 crew and someone with logistical knowledge (berthing/mooring, eating, sleeping, etc.) to point in the right direction...

Bizarre chainsaw accident?

Is it too early to look at weather/wind?

i'm not going to say anything...it has to change

I started looking at it yesterday. Sailflow has it pretty light through the period, around 5-10, starting southwest then turning northwest overnight, which would make it - you guessed it - a reach! Purists might hate it but I can't think of anything I'd like more than a reach from Biddeford to Seguin.

The good news is it looks to be a decent weekend without much in the way of rain or fog (If the northwesterly holds true). And the tide's low at around 4:30 p.m. Saturday, so even with no wind we can at least drift out the Hussey on the current.

BTW, SIs are up if anyone cares.

Edited by C Koch
I started looking at it yesterday. Sailflow has it pretty light through the period, around 5-10, starting southwest then turning northwest overnight, which would make it - you guessed it - a reach! Purists might hate it but I can't think of anything I'd like more than a reach from Biddeford to Seguin.

The good news is it looks to be a decent weekend without much in the way of rain or fog (If the northwesterly holds true). And the tide's low at around 4:30 p.m. Saturday, so even with no wind we can at least drift out the Hussey on the current.

maybe we will get lucky and it will be as nice as last year.

post-5090-1186727285_thumb.jpg

Light... :o

Well I can't speak for others here, but the crew of Rita P had a pretty decent time on this year's Monhegan. I suspect much of that has to do with our shorter course that allowed us to finish by 7 a.m. Sunday before the wind died completely!

As in prior years, the race had the usual mixture of triumph, frustration, variable wind, good vs mediocre food, alcohol, shipping traffic, meteor showers, whales, porpoises, and other marine life. Even with the light winds, it was an absolutely picture-perfect weekend to be out. With a new (IOW no) moon, it was a perfect night to take in the Milky Way and the meteor showers.

The one thing that was missing was doggone. It wasn't the same without you, and your absence was noted early and often. If it helps, know that stickboy and I consumed some Mt. Gay in your honor!

Anyone got any good stories?

Results are here.

I've done twenty plus Monhegans...

doing it this year with a couple good friends and a boat load of kids was the best.

Watching the kids stare at the sky in wonder because they saw stars they had never seen before was great. Seeing the exprestions on thier faces as the tuna were jumping out of the water next to the boat was just so wonderful. Doing the race with my 15 yr old daughter is something that I will never forget.

For some of them it was thier first Monhegan and first overnight.

I'd like to thank the skilled crew Wussel, Fly, Tommy S, K2, and Jim for thier help and enthusiasm.

Well I can't speak for others here, but the crew of Rita P had a pretty decent time on this year's Monhegan. I suspect much of that has to do with our shorter course that allowed us to finish by 7 a.m. Sunday before the wind died completely!

As in prior years, the race had the usual mixture of triumph, frustration, variable wind, good vs mediocre food, alcohol, shipping traffic, meteor showers, whales, porpoises, and other marine life. Even with the light winds, it was an absolutely picture-perfect weekend to be out. With a new (IOW no) moon, it was a perfect night to take in the Milky Way and the meteor showers.

The one thing that was missing was doggone. It wasn't the same without you, and your absence was noted early and often. If it helps, know that stickboy and I consumed some Mt. Gay in your honor!

Anyone got any good stories?

Results are here.

Thanks Ckoch; I really missed being there and appreciate the kind words. Hope to be back next year.

I got debriefs from Fred Madeira on resolute and Dave Ruff on Go Dog Go yeterday. Sounds like there was a little more wind than forecasted? Congrats on your close second place finish!

Love to hear from A class as to how they liked the new first leg.

Raced Roxanne (Santana 30-30) Saturday Night; another perfect, though hot evening of sailing. 100 dgrees at dock, 90 degrees on lake. Lake water tem is 85. 10-12 knot breeze made for great sailing.

doing it this year with a couple good friends and a boat load of kids was the best.

Watching the kids stare at the sky in wonder because they saw stars they had never seen before was great. Seeing the exprestions on thier faces as the tuna were jumping out of the water next to the boat was just so wonderful. Doing the race with my 15 yr old daughter is something that I will never forget.

I'd like to thank the skilled crew Wussel, Fly, Tommy S, K2, and Jim for thier help and enthusiasm.

Glad Kitty and the Kittens had such fun!!

Thanks Ckoch; I really missed being there and appreciate the kind words. Hope to be back next year.

I got debriefs from Fred Madeira on resolute and Dave Ruff on Go Dog Go yeterday. Sounds like there was a little more wind than forecasted? Congrats on your close second place finish!

Love to hear from A class as to how they liked the new first leg.

Raced Roxanne (Santana 30-30) Saturday Night; another perfect, though hot evening of sailing. 100 dgrees at dock, 90 degrees on lake. Lake water tem is 85. 10-12 knot breeze made for great sailing.

The forecast was a little off. The prediction was for zilch at start time; in actuality, we had a great breeze at the start. The tide was reasonably favorable for the tack out the Hussey and to the various windward marks.

The pressure was actually better closer to land around Wood Island; not sure about other areas. We were becalmed for a while after rounding the mark at Wood Island (but damn glad we made it around before it died!).

The northwesterly came in around 8:30 p.m. - about four hours early - but no complaints! Made for a nice reach to Seguin. It held from the WNW most of the night, then got light at dawn (no surprise there).

We watched a lot of the Manana and Seguin class boats hug the Cape Elizabeth shore and pay for it big time. It looked like a foul current was keeping them from making much progress up that shore (except for one particular cruising class boat that seems to breeze through foul currents and light winds with no problem at all! :) ) A couple of us made out by tacking back and forth from Ram Island, then around the finish mark. The water was like glass but there was enough breeze aloft to maintain boat speed through numerous tacks. Fun stuff.

Nice breakfast back at PYC, but sadly, no Bloddy Marys :( Can't say that I blame them -- weary sailors + alcohol is not the best combination.

The forecast was a little off. The prediction was for zilch at start time; in actuality, we had a great breeze at the start. The tide was reasonably favorable for the tack out the Hussey and to the various windward marks.

The pressure was actually better closer to land around Wood Island; not sure about other areas. We were becalmed for a while after rounding the mark at Wood Island (but damn glad we made it around before it died!).

The northwesterly came in around 8:30 p.m. - about four hours early - but no complaints! Made for a nice reach to Seguin. It held from the WNW most of the night, then got light at dawn (no surprise there).

We watched a lot of the Manana and Seguin class boats hug the Cape Elizabeth shore and pay for it big time. It looked like a foul current was keeping them from making much progress up that shore (except for one particular cruising class boat that seems to breeze through foul currents and light winds with no problem at all! :) ) A couple of us made out by tacking back and forth from Ram Island, then around the finish mark. The water was like glass but there was enough breeze aloft to maintain boat speed through numerous tacks. Fun stuff.

Nice breakfast back at PYC, but sadly, no Bloddy Marys :( Can't say that I blame them -- weary sailors + alcohol is not the best combination.

Cool; thanks for color.

Yeh I think the idea of serving Bloodys at bfast became a little controversial at PYC. Next year we'll just have to BYOB and make our own fun! Don't forget the crank blender!!

Cool; thanks for color.

Yeh I think the idea of serving Bloodys at bfast became a little controversial at PYC. Next year we'll just have to BYOB and make our own fun! Don't forget the crank blender!!

:) It's probably just as well that they didn't serve them. As it was, I was starting to head-bob on the delivery back (while stickboy napped - he had gotten less sleep than me overnight). But I do think we'll carry the makings aboard next time. The blender already lives aboard, might as well have a more completely stocked liquor cabinet, right?

Thank you kitty, that was one of the best I've had in my limited time doing that race. Big "Puppy" was an absolute blast! All the puppies had fun on the boat and, best of all, were all still elated at breakfast back at the club. Wonder how some of them feel up in castine today...

Bar at PYC was open for business at 1300. Gritty's on tap and Bloodys... Had one myself.

Yeah, but we were in there before 0900, and were very thirsty. I was told the bar would be opening around noon, but at that point it seemed prudent to use those hours to get the boat back home (two hours away) before the effects of the caffiene could wear off.

At 1300, we had already delivered the boat back home and were catching up on sleep.

for those of you who have been following my saga called life the last few years, things have finally turned around. I finally moved after waiting more than 2 years for the event to a pleasant townhouse in Yarmouth, with no more financial ties to the ex husband. ( I believe the quote "Free at last Free at last, thank God almighty I'm free at last " would be appropriate). Add that to a brand new car, and a house full of new furniture and life is finally good. I'll have a house warming party this fall. I know this is'nt sailing related, but it's the fastest way to let my friends know all that is going on.

for those of you who have been following my saga called life the last few years, things have finally turned around. I finally moved after waiting more than 2 years for the event to a pleasant townhouse in Yarmouth, with no more financial ties to the ex husband. ( I believe the quote "Free at last Free at last, thank God almighty I'm free at last " would be appropriate). Add that to a brand new car, and a house full of new furniture and life is finally good. I'll have a house warming party this fall. I know this is'nt sailing related, but it's the fastest way to let my friends know all that is going on.

Hey good for you! I look forward to the house warming - you always put on a good party!

Speaking of not sailing related, I am trying to get in touch with your former neighbor. You know who I am talking about, right? I know his house was on the market, but I think you told me it was taken off the market? I just e-mailed him; hopefully he'll reply and I'll be all set. But I thought you might have some inside info.

Huh??? Did people go aground? The only carnage I heard about was a blown-out chute. Can't imagine flying one today in those winds. I heard one report of 42 knots; not sure how accurate that is but I swear we had to be getting that a few times considering the ass kicking we were getting at times.

I figure only about a quarter of the boats that signed up actually finished today - we only had three finishers in our class.

Main trimmers earned their keep today. I will be consuming a couple vitamin I's before bed, that's for sure!

Hey, anyone remember the website on the side of the photo boat? The guy was in an old whaler.

I'm looking for evidence of the complete carnage out there...

JRG

www.wavelengthstudios.com. He already has pics up!! Great shots from what I looked at.

Where are the results posted. Lets see them stickboy!!

sounds like you guys had a little bit of wind. we must have been hit by the same system down here in ct...we had 20-25 gusting to 35

id like to here about this carnage. we didnt have any to speeak of...just a lot of no shows and drop outs.

How did the H33 like the breeze?

Saw you it heading down to the tugboat muster today and thought it looked pretty nice.

However, some of the wavelength pics show some pretty healthy scallops in the jib.

well it was the last time anyone will see the Main we had up on sat.

something tells me that Hanker'n will have the best stories though.

BDP's main and Jib started falling appart.

Is anyone doing the Yarmouth Cup this year? Only 6 boats have entried so far!

www.wavelengthstudios.com. He already has pics up!! Great shots from what I looked at.

Where are the results posted. Lets see them stickboy!!

Wasn't there another photo boat? Wavelength shot our boat from leeward, I could have sworn I saw a guy in a whaler with another website on the side of his whaler. Anyone... Anyone... Maybe I am nuts.

JRG