Gulf of maine scuttlebut

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Anyone on Joe Harris's Gryphon Solo email list has probably seen this:

http://www.akilaria.com/AkilariaClass40.pdf

The brochure says they're being built in Tunisia, and being delivered in Maine (Portland I think).

This is the first I've seen of this boat/class, and first I've heard of distribution of this type of boat in Maine. Thought it might interest this audience.

The brochure says they're being built in Tunisia, and being delivered in Maine (Portland I think).

This is the first I've seen of this boat/class, and first I've heard of distribution of this type of boat in Maine. Thought it might interest this audience.

Portland Yacht Services....

That bulb keel torpedo is gonna snag a lotta lobster pots

Saw the boat out last Sunday. Looks nice and seems to move along well.

As noted, hope it comes with a wetsuit and a good knife to cut away the lobster pots.

Hey any of you out there want to be on the water this weekend but don't have a way to get there?

The J24 Downeast Regatta is this weekend and they REALLY, REALLY need RC help for Saturday. A bunch of these guys alway step in and help when they can with the other races around here. Now is the opportunity to return the favor.

Go here: http://www.j24fleet43.org/pages/contact-us.php

and contact Nick Dambrie, Race Officer, at the bottom of the page. There is lunch provided and the the tremendously popular Lobster Cookout Saturday night in it for you!

Do a good deed,

You know you want to... :rolleyes:

does GMORA have a mission statement?

Yes, there is one, and I am in the process of assembling a search party to look for it. :D It goes something, but not exactly, like this:

"The Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Association is a not-for-profit, charitable corporation formed to act as an amateur athletic organization to promote yacht racing, including international yacht racing in the ocean waters of the Gulf of Maine."

I think there might be one or two more sentences to it, but I'm not sure.

This is a little embarrassing. The mission statement used to be on the front page of GMORA's web site at www.gmora.org. When we reconfigued the web site, we added a content management system (which BTW still has a few bugs). In the interest of keeping things fresh, we started putting the latest news on the front page and apparently neglected to create an "About us" page where the mission statement could reside permanently. Oops. That's what happens when you have a limited budget and get volunteers/amateurs to do the work.

I will check with the person whom I hope knows the location of the mission statement and will keep you posted. It may be on a flash drive, or perhaps in a clunky, old, cat-hair infested Compaq laptop in our living room. If I do find it, I might try to create a page on the web site where it can live without making the site crash completely. Or not.

"The Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Association is a not-for-profit, charitable corporation formed to act as an amateur athletic organization to promote yacht racing, including international yacht racing in the ocean waters of the Gulf of Maine."

I quess now that the Yarmoth Cup is toast (reports are that Papa Smirf is trying to put a stake into its' heart) then Boothday will have to be declaired a foreign country so we can meet the mission statement.

Edited by Kitty in Drag

I quess now that the Yarmoth Cup is toast (reports are that Papa Smirf is trying to put a stake into its' heart) then Boothday will have to be declaired a foreign country so we can meet the mission statement.

They do talk kinda funny over there in Boothbay...

I was talking with Papa Smirf on Labor day and he was talking about restarting the Downeast Race? I'm not sure where that use to start and end. But he was putting blame on custom problems with Liquor going in to Yarmouth...

I was talking with Papa Smirf on Labor day and he was talking about restarting the Downeast Race? I'm not sure where that use to start and end. But he was putting blame on custom problems with Liquor going in to Yarmouth...

The latest incarnation of the Downeast Race (that I am aware of) was a start somewhere in Mass (Marblehead?) and a finish outside Rockland and it happened late July/early August. What was kind of cool about it was that people from Southern NE who wanted to cruise Pen Bay could use the Downeast Race to get the boat to the cruising grounds, then harbor hop back home. Of course that is more from a cruiser standpoint than a racer, FWIW.

"Too Expensive" had to dump their liquor cabnet into Yarmouth harbor last year, that might be what he was talking about. :lol:

The latest incarnation of the Downeast Race (that I am aware of) was a start somewhere in Mass (Marblehead?) and a finish outside Rockland and it happened late July/early August. What was kind of cool about it was that people from Southern NE who wanted to cruise Pen Bay could use the Downeast Race to get the boat to the cruising grounds, then harbor hop back home. Of course that is more from a cruiser standpoint than a racer, FWIW.

Well Labor day weekend would be to late for cursing back down the coast. The nights get a little cold in September..

I think Merle's talking about a race that was run in the late 1980s that started in Falmouth or Harraseeket and finished first in SW Harbor and later in Camden. It was run the week before Camden Castine, which used to be run the week before the Boozebay Regatta. The course went outside Metinicus Rock. I think we started one of the races Friday Night.

The idea of having a "feeder" race to Camden Castine with Boozebay run a week later made a lot of sense when the bulk of the fleet actually cruised on their race boats. Now I'd say it would be a tougher sell. Plus you'd have to rearrange the race schedule. So maybe Merle's thinking we could restart that race over Labor Day weekend.

How about a round trip from Falmouth to say Mt. Desert Rock and back? That would be a helluva offshore race substantially dependent for success upon an outrageously great extended party upon arrival like the one Yarmouth put on. The party is the key.

How about a round trip from Falmouth to say Mt. Desert Rock and back? That would be a helluva offshore race substantially dependent for success upon an outrageously great extended party upon arrival like the one Yarmouth put on. The party is the key.

I like the idea of round trip distance races, because then you're potentially exposed to all wind angles, versus point-to-point races which are usually to a downwind destination. (Did I mention that my boat probably sails better than its rating when going upwind, and worse than rating downwind? ;) I also like the idea of more overnight races, or true "ocean" races.

That said, how would you distinguish a Mt. Desert Rock race from, say, the Monhegan race?

Edited by Catamount
Two words: kelp cutter

One word: asshole.

So you would sail around with a blade on your keel that cuts off about $100 dollars worth of gear every time it comes in contact with lobster pot warp?

Nice.

No wonder there is at times great animosity between lobstermen and yachties.

I think Merle's talking about a race that was run in the late 1980s that started in Falmouth or Harraseeket and finished first in SW Harbor and later in Camden. It was run the week before Camden Castine, which used to be run the week before the Boozebay Regatta. The course went outside Metinicus Rock. I think we started one of the races Friday Night.

The idea of having a "feeder" race to Camden Castine with Boozebay run a week later made a lot of sense when the bulk of the fleet actually cruised on their race boats. Now I'd say it would be a tougher sell. Plus you'd have to rearrange the race schedule. So maybe Merle's thinking we could restart that race over Labor Day weekend.

Ah, THAT Downeast... stickboy has some fond memories of one of those, when the naviguessor on his boat nearly put them on the rocks in the middle of the night at some island on the way into Southwest.

His crewmate's then-girlfriend and I had the important task of driving up to Southwest to meet them and take the guys home. Later that morning, in the pouring rain and hungover from the fuzzy navels we had consumed the day before, we're at Seawall looking through binocs at the boats on the horizon.

"Hey, I think that's them -- it's a J with radar, it has to be them." "Ya think so? I dunno. That boat's going awful fast to be them. Must be Capella." "Yeah, you're right. No way could (name of boat withheld) be going that fast."

Turned out it was our guys. The regular skip was off watch and young bucks on the crew were running the boat. Had it not been for the naviguessor's screw-up, they'd probably have won the damn thing!

Ya know it's too bad (most) racers don't cruise their boats any more because that race schedule in the 1980s worked well for for people who wanted to do both. I think stickboy and I are the only people/boat to do both these days.

As for cruising after Labor Day, I'm beyond amused that justagirl of all people thinks it would be too cold. :D Only problem I see with that time of year is fewer hours of daylight.

One word: asshole.

So you would sail around with a blade on your keel that cuts off about $100 dollars worth of gear every time it comes in contact with lobster pot warp?

Nice.

No wonder there is at times great animosity between lobstermen and yachties.

Easy mango.......... I've seen Catsailor re-tie more snagged lobster pots that had to be cut to remove than I can remember...

Plus he is more likely to hit a mark of race course than a lobster pot.

Edited by Jerk
Easy mango.......... I've seen Catsailor re-tie more snagged lobster pots that had to be cut to remove than I can remember...

In that case disregard the asshole comment, and I owe Catsailor a Grittys.

Well Labor day weekend would be to late for cursing back down the coast. The nights get a little cold in September..

now, justagirl....

it is NEVER too late for cursing!!

:lol:;)

/c

(i actually find the later it gets, the more cursing i do!)

I like the idea of round trip distance races, because then you're potentially exposed to all wind angles, versus point-to-point races which are usually to a downwind destination. (Did I mention that my boat probably sails better than its rating when going upwind, and worse than rating downwind? ;) I also like the idea of more overnight races, or true "ocean" races.

That said, how would you distinguish a Mt. Desert Rock Race from, say, the Monhegan race?

Best way to distinguish is the party. The Swiftsure Race I do every other year in Victoria, BC www.swiftsure.org is a long upwind downwind arce (150 miles) Memorial day weekend (cold and wet like you'd expect it to be). Party starts Wed. night, race starts Saturday. Had 212 boats this year. nost from seattle 90 miles awayVictoria's liek a big Portland, maine- lots of nightlife, restaurants and casual fun. base the race in downtown portland (rent Maine State Pier or put up big tent at PYS). Get dockage for everyone somehow (maybe take over Maine Yacht Center except you can't walk to downtown)

plus a kelp cutter can't cut pot warp, they damn near can't cut kelp.

The Downeast Race worked ok as a feeder for castine but was never all that well attended except for a few years in the late 80's when there were TONS more boats up here than there are now. The last few were as well attended as the Yarmouth Cup. People just dont want to do overnighters.

Who remembers the old Boon Island race?

Edited by snakepliskin

Let me get this straight...

for years we are told to do the Yarmouth race because of its rich history and wonderful people. Now we are going to git rid of it because some rich dude that does two races a year has to lock his booze up ( that's what happened- he didn't have to pour it into the harbor)

there sould be solid cry to keep this race going. Or am i missing something?

for years we are told to do the Yarmouth race because of its rich history and wonderful people. Now we are going to git rid of it because some rich dude that does two races a year has to lock his booze up ( that's what happened- he didn't have to pour it into the harbor)

The things that are missing are (1) enthusiasm and (2) volunteers. Now that he has piped in, I say kitty should take that ball and run with it.

plus a kelp cutter can't cut pot warp, they damn near can't cut kelp.

The Downeast Race worked ok as a feeder for castine but was never all that well attended except for a few years in the late 80's when there were TONS more boats up here than there are now. The last few were as well attended as the Yarmouth Cup. People just dont want to do overnighters.

Who remembers the old Boon Island race?

I remember it well and did it 6 times back in the 1970s. Watched Cadenza, a C&C 39, bounce over rocks on at flank speed just off Boon Island and keep right on sailing. Back then when you hit a rock you simply altered geology. Great race, interesting tactical variety and lights out all night partying in KPort. What was the name of that bar at that inn in KPort we used to take over? Kitty would remember n'est pas?

I remember it well and did it 6 times back in the 1970s. Watched Cadenza, a C&C 39, bounce over rocks on at flank speed just off Boon Island and keep right on sailing. Back then when you hit a rock you simply altered geology. Great race, interesting tactical variety and lights out all night partying in KPort. What was the name of that bar at that inn in KPort we used to take over? Kitty would remember n'est pas?

I remember nothing and I didn't do it.

Sure I would, as long as I got a firm commitment that Mor-ASS would not schedual a competing event.

Nuthin' up against it now and still not enough boats to bother shooting a gun.....

If nobody's going to race it, why not have a local race?

I'll flip it around, GMORA won't support another race that weekend if you commit to get enought boats to have a race to Canader.

GMORA does not have the authority to support or not support a race any given weekend. The sponsoring clubs make that call, not us. That said, the weekend is open now and there's nothing looming that necessarily wants to fill that space. A few callas and your exclusivity that weekend could be assured.

As to our mor-ASS moniker, there's plenty of room at the table, we'd love to see you all there.

In that case disregard the asshole comment, and I owe Catsailor a Grittys.

Thanks for reminding me about that JERK HAHAHA What a board... feel the love :) I'm back in the land of Hurricanes and FN hot water, but I'll take a raincheck next spring!

PS A Melges 24 kelp cutter will absolutely - and of course hypothetically -- cut warp, at least the one that was on my boat that JERK sharpened with an evil laugh at every regatta...

I'm crying to keep the Yarmouth Cup!!! I may only do 2 races a year in my boat but I'm a girl that Loves distance racing with a beer budget. The Yarmouth Ciup has less logistic and less expence than Marblehead to Halifax or even the dead Digby Race (Digby Marina could not support deep draft boats or shallow). Attached pictures from the last Digby in 2004.

post-14749-1189559515_thumb.jpg

post-14749-1189559615_thumb.jpg

Nuthin' up against it now and still not enough boats to bother shooting a gun.....

I'll flip it around, GMORA won't support another race that weekend if you commit to get enought boats to have a race to Canader.

More than 6 boats would have shown up at the Skipper's meet. Like alot of races people sign up and pay for a race at the last minute.

There has been in the past hasn't there been?

What is enough boats?

How many Boats had catastrophic sail failure at the ends of the year?

If you want to do away with it, stickboy, then let's just do away with it. Let's stop this passive aggresive bullshit and pull together.

Have a local race. If no one is willing to go out over there head then we should race around the anchorage , be in by 2 oclock, run home and chat on this fucking thing about what great sailors we all are.

As a smart man once said " when all is said and done more has been said then done."

GMORA does not have the authority to support or not support a race any given weekend. The sponsoring clubs make that call, not us. That said, the weekend is open now and there's nothing looming that necessarily wants to fill that space. A few callas and your exclusivity that weekend could be assured.

As to our mor-ASS moniker, there's plenty of room at the table, we'd love to see you all there.

Handy boat mid summer regatta vs. Camden Castine

What club sponsors the Handy mid summer regatta?

Ans: the Papa Smirf mutual masturbation and Admiration Society

now, justagirl....

it is NEVER too late for cursing!!

:lol:;)

/c

(i actually find the later it gets, the more cursing i do!)

Well I sail all year long!!! and the bay starts empting in mid September. Last year we were up to about 4 or 5 boats sailing Portland Harbor in January.

It failed because NO ONE CARED in Mor-ASS period. We are a organization of nancy-boys,

kitty out.

I don't know who in GMORA turned down justagirl's offer for help with Yarmouth Cup (papa smurf? the president?). Considering how few and far between offers for help are in these circles, it's inconceivable to me (and very unfortunate) that hers was turned down. Keep in mind (again) that it's the clubs, not GMORA, who organize the races and send out the NOR. I don't know if an NOR went out for Yarmouth Cup, but it was on the schedule and was promoted in at least one of the e-mails I sent out, so GMORA at least did that much. Seems to me it was kitty and other skippers who failed to sign up that didn't care.

Kitty, so you think the organization is a bunch of nancy-boys, eh? Why, because we allowed the Handy Boat regatta to be put on the schedule the same weekend as Camden-Castine? Has it occurred to you that most of the smaller, dinky-waterline boats don't have the time/crew to make the delivery to Camden and back? Should they be denied a race day because they's waterline-challenged? Try to think outside the Class A box, if you would.

Constructive input and volunteers are still welcome. So far all we've heard from is G. Thanks G, someone will be in touch.

FMTT, I gotta be up in less than six hours to go to my real job and be subject to even more abuse. I can't wait!

Yep. Maine Yacht Center. We finished rigging the boat last week.

The boat looks great. She appears to be well designed with proven systems. I am quite impressed.

. Seems to me it was kitty and other skippers who failed to sign up that didn't care.

Wrong-

I had a work conflict so I could not make it this year- that was set in May. The boat had already done several trips this year- Cape Cod in May, Marblehead to Halifax in june, back to Marblehead in August. The boat obviously moves around. We have been a steady participant in the race for years.

You have no idea why we missed this years sign-up. To say I didn't care is just plain wrong.

Kitty, so you think the organization is a bunch of nancy-boys, eh? Why, because we allowed the Handy Boat regatta to be put on the schedule the same weekend as Camden-Castine? Has it occurred to you that most of the smaller, dinky-waterline boats don't have the time/crew to make the delivery to Camden and back? Should they be denied a race day because they's waterline-challenged? Try to think outside the Class A box, if you would.

Good spin... but Kitty is right. Everyuone knows Camden-Castine is and should be one of the Grand Dames of the Maine racing scene, and it was almost killed by Midsummer. She's been treated like crap. Growing up in Camden, it was the coolest show in town and a highlight for sailors from all over the coast. Why not make Midsummer a small boat race, if your arguement is valid, with GMORA points and let the rest race and support the Camden Castine that has been on the schedule since the early 70s? 6-8 more A/B boats in C/C, and Midsummer rocks along serving the "dinky waterline boats" Uhhh... you all know why.

Rant over, we're all on the same side of trying to make GMORA better just from different places... but I gotta get back to putting up my hurricane shutters :)

For those interested, the party and annual meeting will be October 19, 2007 at Taste of Maine in Woolwich. Cocktails start about 6:00. At that time you will have the opportunity to vote in a new board of officers and directors. Those dissatisfied with the way things are going should consider stepping up.

Justin

Don't be absurd. I should have said entity, not club, but the point is the same. People throw races. We put them on a calendar and at the end of the year we count the points. We don't do anything else. If you have a problem with Merle throwing a race the competes with another race, talk to Merle, not to us. We dont' control Merle, or PYS, or HYC, or any other organization.

With regard to Yarmouth, how did this become GMORA's fault? GMORA didn't cancel the race, guys. GMORA doesn't throw any races, so GMORA can't cancel them either. There was no competing race scheduled, so that wasn't the problem either.

Handy boat mid summer regatta vs. Camden Castine

What club sponsors the Handy mid summer regatta?

Ans: the Papa Smirf mutual masturbation and Admiration Society

What almost killed Camden Castine is the fact that people in Castine don't want racers in their town. It is very difficult to get lodging for only one night and the school no longer opens their doors at the dorm - (and don't feed me the shit about how a few ruined it for everyone - that is a perpetual excuse for why the dorms are not open to us for the last 8 years) Castine doesn't want us. A quote from an older castine gentleman "are the racers in town today" -yes- "when do they leave".

Merle has done more for racing in Maine then anyone that has even thought about posting on this site. Bitch all you want, but the fact is Merle is the reason we have a strong fleet in Maine. Merle is the reason why there is even a yarmouth cup in the first place.

Yarmouth Cup is a great event and an effort should and I am sure will go into keeping it around for the future. Maybe something better will come up, an actual race week in Maine sounds great (downeast / audi race week was a cool event) but it died. The best thing for yarmouth cup probably a change in date and to alternate years with another event. A big event.

Since we are bitching and not that I expect any change - it always sucks that the awards event is on a Friday, way the fuck up route 1. yes I know that years ago it was different places - closer to Portland. I 'm sure there was a reason.

DDog - we discussed the options and the consensus was that Taste of Maine was a good location because it was sort of central and would allow folks from the eastern division to attend. On the other hand, they rarely do, so it may be that we want to move the party back south for next year. As to the day of the week, we got more support for Fridays than Saturdays - I think because it doesn't chew up the weekend as much but I don't really know. Its all open to input for next year. For this year, we've paid the deposit.

Everyuone knows Camden-Castine is and should be one of the Grand Dames of the Maine racing scene, and it was almost killed by Midsummer. She's been treated like crap. Growing up in Camden, it was the coolest show in town and a highlight for sailors from all over the coast. Why not make Midsummer a small boat race, if your arguement is valid, with GMORA points and let the rest race and support the Camden Castine that has been on the schedule since the early 70s? 6-8 more A/B boats in C/C, and Midsummer rocks along serving the "dinky waterline boats" Uhhh... you all know why.

catsailor, did you know that C-C almost didn't happen this summer, not because she was being "treated like crap," but because the host club was having trouble scraping up enough volunteers to run the race and the associated activities? And for several years, before Handy Boat Midsummer even came along, there was no C-C, there was the "Penobscot Bay Regatta" (or something like that). I can't claim to know the true reasons for that because I wasn't there, but I've heard everything from participants' misbehavior to the lack of affordable beds in town for particpants becuase MMA dorms could no longer be used (innkeepers gripe about losing business?) and no one sleeps on their boat any more.

BTW, how many GMORA members attended the board meeting last spring -- the one where the schedule was approved? Very few. Kitty might have been there, but I don't recall hearing a groundswell of opposition to putting Handy's on the schedule.

Just to add fuel to the fire and to refresh our collective memories, here's an enlightening old thread on Handy Midsummer v Camden-Castine:

Clicky

Piss, moan, bitch, bitch, bitch... Now that that's out of the way, what would people like to see for a schedule? Just hypothetically, what would be YOUR ideal racing schedule for coming years? Be honest too, if you really like the idea of Camden, but sail on a boat that doesn't go more than a few miles from Falmouth (pointing finger at self... Not that one), what would be your alternative?

My ideal next year (that I might be able to get my BO to do):

Centerboard

Pilot

Harraseeket

PHRF Maine

Boothbay Feeder

Boothbay

Seguin

Handy Midsummer

Monhegan

MS

Fall Series

AND a TBD distance race early in the season... I like Monhegan because it's round trip. Easier for a married dad to get away for. This year's Monhegan, some of the older folks on our boat talked fondly about the old days when it was mostly distance racing (as Kitty blew by us and we sat parked). Personally, I wouldn't mind a little more distance racing in the mix. That's just MY list, I'm sure it doesn't match most people's, so instead of just bitching, step up and describe what you would like to do. This could be a vaguely productive discussion...

G

On January 17, 2007 GMORA held a board meeting at Portland Yacht Club. The notice of meeting and agenda were distributed to members prior to the meeting by Peter Garcia. Peter Garcia, Randy Rice, Justin Andrus, Jon Randall, Gail Rice, Geoff Emmanuel, David Pierce, Byron Borst, Duncan Wood, Bob Norton, and Merle Hallett attended.

At that meeting, the board set its schedule for meetings for the year -

C. Set Board meeting Schedule for 2007. Tentative schedule:

1/18, 3/15, 4/19, 5/17, 7/19*, 10/20**, 11/15. All at Portland YC at 6:30 PM unless other clubs invite us. *8 PM after Thursday Race. **annual meeting, tentative. Exec. Committee to meet 1st Thursday of every month at Justin Andrus’ office in Bath – all directors welcome – please call ahead to make sure meeting has not been rescheduled, as it is from time to time.

At that meeting, the board adopted the proposed schedule of races for the 2007 season.

Following that meeting, the minutes were promulgated to the membership by Peter Garcia through the e-mail list. What else do you want from us, guys? Its all been public. Meetings have been announced to our membership. Members have been welcome and have participated to the extent they've chosen to do so. There's no back room cartel.

catsailor, did you know that C-C almost didn't happen this summer, not because she was being "treated like crap," but because the host club was having trouble scraping up enough volunteers to run the race and the associated activities? And for several years, before Handy Boat Midsummer even came along, there was no C-C, there was the "Penobscot Bay Regatta" (or something like that). I can't claim to know the true reasons for that because I wasn't there, but I've heard everything from participants' misbehavior to the lack of affordable beds in town for particpants becuase MMA dorms could no longer be used (innkeepers gripe about losing business?) and no one sleeps on their boat any more.

BTW, how many GMORA members attended the board meeting last spring -- the one where the schedule was approved? Very few. Kitty might have been there, but I don't recall hearing a groundswell of opposition to putting Handy's on the schedule.

Just to add fuel to the fire and to refresh our collective memories, here's an enlightening old thread on Handy Midsummer v Camden-Castine:

Clicky

Camden-Castine's charm is its unique point-to-point-to-point format; the track is tactically challenging, the wind is generally good and the scenery is spectacular. Camden YC has had a difficult time mustering up support for the race due to internal conflicts between social members who dominate the club and the minority who like racing (sound familiar?). Castine YC has had similar issues. These seemed to be fixed for now.

The race was very popular in the 1970s when most people slept on their boats in Castine. The social activities Sturday Night were concentrated on the docks with boats rafted up and people boat hopping and generally partying together. Some of this got out of hand which did do some political damage in town.

I cannnot blame the inns in castine for setting a two night minimum given their remote location and short season. I know at least one of the inns (the yellow one on the water towards the mouth of the harbor) has taken one-night reservations in the recent past. But they are expensive.

Merle had a problem 10 years ago with Camden YC. This is clearly past tense, as Merle raced Camden-Castine this year. Participants always have the opportunity to vote with their feet and play in whatever venue they want. Promote the idea of a big raft up in Castine and a sleep aboard approach. One night a year sleeping aboard a race boat isn't going to kill anyone.

In 2006, Kitty and Dick Hale had one of the most exciting match races down the east side of Isleboro they've ever had. The weather and wind was awesome. The party in Castine was memorable.

In 2006, Peter Garcia volunteered and served on the committtee boat at Camden Castine

Camden-Castine's charm is its unique point-to-point-to-point format; the track is tactically challenging, the wind is generally good and the scenery is spectacular. Camden YC has had a difficult time mustering up support for the race due to internal conflicts between social members who dominate the club and the minority who like racing (sound familiar?). Castine YC has had similar issues. These seemed to be fixed for now.

The race was very popular in the 1970s when most people slept on their boats in Castine. The social activities Sturday Night were concentrated on the docks with boats rafted up and people boat hopping and generally partying together. Some of this got out of hand which did do some political damage in town.

I cannnot blame the inns in castine for setting a two night minimum given their remote location and short season. I know at least one of the inns (the yellow one on the water towards the mouth of the harbor) has taken one-night reservations in the recent past. But they are expensive.

Merle had a problem 10 years ago with Camden YC. This is clearly past tense, as Merle raced Camden-Castine this year. Participants always have the opportunity to vote with their feet and play in whatever venue they want. Promote the idea of a big raft up in Castine and a sleep aboard approach. One night a year sleeping aboard a race boat isn't going to kill anyone.

In 2006, Kitty and Dick Hale had one of the most exciting match races down the east side of Isleboro they've ever had. The weather and wind was awesome. The party in Castine was memorable.

Yeah, I can't remember the party.

I guess that's a good sign.

But, kitty's party in Yarmouth was fabulous.

Promote the idea of a big raft up in Castine and a sleep aboard approach. One night a year sleeping aboard a race boat isn't going to kill anyone.

I dunno, doggone... stickboy and I sleep aboard at least eight nights a year for races at Centerboard, PYC, Boothbay, and SITR and you've seen what it does to us. :D Thanks for the insight on C-C. I agree that distance and point-to-point is fun, but C-C is just logistically difficult for a lot of people.

"At night we sleep in separare bunks and blow each other kissies"

Martin Mull- "men, men, men"

The whole thing:

Men, men, men,men...

It's great to be on a ship with men and sail across the sea, oh,

We don't know where we'll land or when, but it's great to be with men.

'Cause men can sweat and men can stink and no one seems to care, oh,

We'll throw the dishes in the sink and clog the drain with hair, oh!

(And clog the drain with hair, oh!)

Men, men, men,

We're a ship all filled with men,

So batten down the ladies' room, there's no one here but men!

There's men above and men below and men down in the galley,

There's Butch and Spike and Buzz and Biff and one guy we call Sally!

(And one guy we call Sally!)

Men, men, men,

We're a ship all filled with men,

You'll never have to lift the seat, there's no one here but men!

We're men and friends until the end and none of us are sissies,

At night we sleep in seperate beds and blow each other kissies!

(And blow each other kissies!)

Men, men, men,

we're a ship all filled with men,

So throw your rubbers overboard, there's no one here but men!

Amen (prounounced "Ahhhhh, men!")

I dunno, doggone... stickboy and I sleep aboard at least eight nights a year for races at Centerboard, PYC, Boothbay, and SITR and you've seen what it does to us. :D Thanks for the insight on C-C. I agree that distance and point-to-point is fun, but C-C is just logistically difficult for a lot of people.

And I think it might actually kill Boathouse and RH...

G

Maybe all that sleeping aboard explains your outrageous online behavior? If so, I'm keeping the boat, moving it to an RV park and calling it my summer home!!

QUOTE(C Koch @ Sep 12 2007, 11:11 AM)

I dunno, doggone... stickboy and I sleep aboard at least eight nights a year for races at Centerboard, PYC, Boothbay, and SITR and you've seen what it does to us. Thanks for the insight on C-C. I agree that distance and point-to-point is fun, but C-C is just logistically difficult for a lot of people.

And I think it might actually kill Boathouse and RH...

G

Now that I think of it, ours isn't exactly a race boat. :)

AND a TBD distance race early in the season... I like Monhegan because it's round trip. Easier for a married dad to get away for. This year's Monhegan, some of the older folks on our boat talked fondly about the old days when it was mostly distance racing (as Kitty blew by us and we sat parked). Personally, I wouldn't mind a little more distance racing in the mix. ....

The only "real" distance races on this year's GMORA calender were Monhegan, Yarmouth Cup (cancelled due to apparent lack of interest), and the Downeast Challenge (Marblehead to Rockland). Did anyone do the Downeast Challenge? Did the race happen? If so, the results don't appear to have been forwarded to the GMORA scorer (yet?).

Take my input as "for what its worth," being a newbie, and being from away, but it's the distance racing that most interests me. Without the distance racing, you might as well drop the "O" from GMORA... :ph34r:

Speaking of GMORA scoring, I notice a couple of boats are missing from the 2007 results spreadsheet - like mine for example. Having participated in only one regatta, I'm certainly not in contention for any GMORA awards, but I notice that there are other boats listed who have only participated in one regatta, or even in only one race, so I wonder why QUASAR and RECHARGE don't show up.

The only "real" distance races on this year's GMORA calender were Monhegan, Yarmouth Cup (cancelled due to apparent lack of interest), and the Downeast Challenge (Marblehead to Rockland). Did anyone do the Downeast Challenge? Did the race happen? If so, the results don't appear to have been forwarded to the GMORA scorer (yet?).

Take my input as "for what its worth," being a newbie, and being from away, but it's the distance racing that most interests me. Without the distance racing, you might as well drop the "O" from GMORA... :ph34r:

Speaking of GMORA scoring, I notice a couple of boats are missing from the 2007 results spreadsheet - like mine for example. Having participated in only one regatta, I'm certainly not in contention for any GMORA awards, but I notice that there are other boats listed who have only participated in one regatta, or even in only one race, so I wonder why QUASAR and RECHARGE don't show up.

Ahem... [in my best Mister Spacely voice]... STICK - BOY...

Interesting that of the three distance races this year the biggun is the only one that gets you home too... Maybe point to point to (first) point would draw better than point to point?

G

Ahem... [in my best Mister Spacely voice]... STICK - BOY...

Interesting that of the three distance races this year the biggun is the only one that gets you home too... Maybe point to point to (first) point would draw better than point to point?

G

Hopefully stickboy will pipe in but he's up to his elbows in some system computer conversion stuff in Massassachusetts and only intermittantly checking the forum. I know that a lot of this summer's scoring was actually done by a victim, er, volunteer. The objective was to score only GMORA members and to simplify the process. From what I could gather, the volunteer had come up with some new-fangled way of getting scores from regatta results into the season spreadsheet. But the few snippets of talk I heard on this were in computerese and way over my head.

Interesting that both boats mentioned were in the same race, and there are still some boats on the spreadsheet with "no" in the GMORA member column, so darned if I know what's up. Just wanted to pipe in in case the other half didn't see this right away.

The only "real" distance races on this year's GMORA calender were Monhegan, Yarmouth Cup (cancelled due to apparent lack of interest), and the Downeast Challenge (Marblehead to Rockland). Did anyone do the Downeast Challenge? Did the race happen? If so, the results don't appear to have been forwarded to the GMORA scorer (yet?). No GMORA members raced

Take my input as "for what its worth," being a newbie, and being from away, but it's the distance racing that most interests me. Without the distance racing, you might as well drop the "O" from GMORA... :ph34r:Personally I agree but we are getting a greater amount of pressure to encourage windward/leewards

That's an easy one. Anyone remember the announcement at the beginning of the year that we are only going to score GMORA members after July 1? That's the reason some boats don't appear on the results and also the reason there are some that say NO in the member column, they raced before the July 1 deadline but aren't members. If you are a member of GMORA and your scores aren't on the spreadsheet SPEAK UP!!!!

Don't be absurd. I should have said entity, not club, but the point is the same. People throw races. We put them on a calendar and at the end of the year we count the points. We don't do anything else. If you have a problem with Merle throwing a race the competes with another race, talk to Merle, not to us. We dont' control Merle, or PYS, or HYC, or any other organization.

With regard to Yarmouth, how did this become GMORA's fault? GMORA didn't cancel the race, guys. GMORA doesn't throw any races, so GMORA can't cancel them either. There was no competing race scheduled, so that wasn't the problem either.

I was on the 2006 US Yarmouth Cup Committee along with Peter G and several others. Merle turned this over to Peter G and GMORA. The Reciting boats, the setting up of the skipper meeting, working with US Customs for clearing back into US and we coming up with idea on how to get more Canadian boat back into the race. One idea was to set up an Ambassador program in the US for Canadian boats and boats from away. That's was what GMORA took over. If GMORA wasn't up for the job then they shouldn't have taken it on.

Thanks stickboy, for the explanation about the GMORA scoring. (And thank you for doing the scoring!)

But what about those new racers who supposedly get a free GMORA membership with their provisional rating certificate? ^_^

Actually, I don't really care whether I'm listed on the spreadsheet or not, I was just curious why we didn't show up, that's all.

EDIT: I think RECHARGE raced STIR as well as Boothbay.

How can one (based in Maine) get a rating certificate for their boat without becoming a GMORA member? Isn't that part and parcel of the process?

Again, all excellent questions.

Thanks stickboy, for the explanation about the GMORA scoring. (And thank you for doing the scoring!) (Actually, this year I have started to hand most of the scoring off to someone else, he's done a phenomenal job)

But what about those new racers who supposedly get a free GMORA membership with their provisional rating certificate? ^_^

I can check to see if anyone took us up on that offer. If any did, there were few.

Actually, I don't really care whether I'm listed on the spreadsheet or not, I was just curious why we didn't show up, that's all.

EDIT: I think RECHARGE raced STIR as well as Boothbay. Yup, they did.

How can one (based in Maine) get a rating certificate for their boat without becoming a GMORA member? Isn't that part and parcel of the process? Basically you can't, but whether a boat can race without a certificate or not is up to the hosting organization and most actually don't require one.

But what about those new racers who supposedly get a free GMORA membership with their provisional rating certificate?

I can check to see if anyone took us up on that offer. If any did, there were few.

That would be me, I guess! :lol:

The Downeast Challenge did happen. There were about 8 boats. Only one was from Maine and she had a PHRF cert. from PHRF-NB.

I would love to hear more about it. What kind of boats? What kind of crews? (any shorthanded?) What were the conditions like? How'ld they do?

I would love to hear more about it. What kind of boats? What kind of crews? (any shorthanded?) What were the conditions like? How'ld they do?

Two single handers. One, Panacea, a Rockland boat, was a Freedom 32 and she won the division. She also won her division this year in the Bermuda 1/2(her eigth run at it and her second division win). First to finish and first on corrected was a J-120 from MA named Saga. I have the complete results at work. PM me if you're really interested. Good downwind sailing until the breeze went light.