Gulf of maine scuttlebut

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Since this thread is on Sailing Anarchy I'll assume most of us have been in other threads to witness that some can be very productive and some turn into sling-fests. Let's keep this productive.

A few thoughts for you. Each time someone says "GMORA should" or "GMORA did something" remember, if you are a member of GMORA you are actually saying "We should" or "We did something". If you are saying "We shoud", then step up and chair the committee to do whatever it is you wish to do. Remember, there are only 5 or so people doing ALL the work. All of us are volunteers with full time jobs and do this just to try to keep the organization afloat. We are precariously close to failing even that.

If you think that more effort should be put into Camden-Castine, volunteer. Volunteer for Yarmouth Cup. But keep in mind, if you buy it you own it.

On the other side of the coin, there have been some very informative points brought up such as Eastern Maine sailors wanting to secede from GMORA, volunteers getting turned away (contact me if that happens).

I gotta go back to work

Well said!!

How dare you bring sanity and level headedness to this?!???!? :angry:

This was getting to be quite fun to watch....

Perhaps, I need to fan the flames or relight an old fire:

CLASS BREAKS for 2008?

Anyone?

I wonder what a TP52 would rate in PHRFNE?

Sideshow:

Thank you for your kind apology.

Just a few thoughts:

1) I have the utmost respect for Papa Smrf and his contributions to the sport. I never ment to imply anything else.

2) I have had direct conversations with Papa about both the Handy Mid-Summer regatta and ending the Y2Y. He and I disagree about both issues but , hey it's America.

3) I stand by my sentiments in post 3036 where I wonder why we let one person/boat /incedent determine what we will do in the future. I don't believe that that should be the case.

4) I believe that the Y2Y is a great race worth keeping. Maybe it happens every other year. But the experience of that race makes us all better sailors and is important in building bridges to other sailing communities.

5)I appreciate everything the yacht clubs and Gomora have done for me, my crew, the program and my family for many (30 years Yipes) years- Thank you. I still like the name MOR-ASS and will continue to use it on this forum.

6) I have volunteed to help in the past and as recently as post number 3038 volunteered to help again. I'm not sure I felt the love.

7) The idea that the A class doesnt care about anything else is really incorrect and silos the fleet up, which is bad and honestly insulting to a lot of good skippers who put alot into thier programs. You know I dont really care about standings in the cruising class but I do care that people get what they want and have a quality time. ( see point 8)

8) I care that the sport grows here in Maine- Has anyone ever seem me not ask a new person on the boat? Have I ever turned anyone away? Who did the Monhegan witha mess of kids? I hope I planted the seeds for the next class A

9) When I started this forum years ago I hoped that it would be a place people could speak thier mind and talk about the racing scene. I did not want it to be the official Gomora discussion place. This is anarchy after all. Our annual meeting is at mark's showplace - yours is at the taste of Maine. Two seperate groups exist for two different purposes.

10) Everytime someone bitches, or offers a suggestion is it always neccesary to take offense?

11) Some of us support the local scene through different methods other than participation in Gomora. It may be financial support, helping at our club, "talking" different regattas up, providing a platform for others to participate.

Hey I'm not perfect, have never claimed to be...

Kitty out

Sideshow:

Just a few thoughts:

1) I have the utmost respect for Papa Smrf and his contributions to the sport. I never ment to imply anything else.

2) I have had direct conversations with Papa about both the Handy Mid-Summer regatta and ending the Y2Y. He and I disagree about both issues but , hey it's America.

3) I stand by my sentiments in post 3036 where I wonder why we let one person/boat /incedent determine what we will do in the future. I don't believe that that should be the case.

4) I believe that the Y2Y is a great race worth keeping. Maybe it happens every other year. But the experience of that race makes us all better sailors and is important in building bridges to other sailing communities.

5)I appreciate everything the yacht clubs and Gomora have done for me, my crew, the program and my family for many (30 years Yipes) years- Thank you. I still like the name MOR-ASS and will continue to use it on this forum.

6) I have volunteed to help in the past and as recently as post number 3038 volunteered to help again. I'm not sure I felt the love.

7) The idea that the A class doesnt care about anything else is really incorrect and silos the fleet up, which is bad and honestly insulting to a lot of good skippers who put alot into thier programs. You know I dont really care about standings in the cruising class but I do care that people get what they want and have a quality time. ( see point 8)

8) I care that the sport grows here in Maine- Has anyone ever seem me not ask a new person on the boat? Have I ever turned anyone away? Who did the Monhegan witha mess of kids? I hope I planted the seeds for the next class A

9) When I started this forum years ago I hoped that it would be a place people could speak thier mind and talk about the racing scene. I did not want it to be the official Gomora discussion place. This is anarchy after all. Our annual meeting is at mark's showplace - yours is at the taste of Maine. Two seperate groups exist for two different purposes.

10) Everytime someone bitches, or offers a suggestion is it always neccesary to take offense?

11) Some of us support the local scene through different methods other than participation in Gomora. It may be financial support, helping at our club, "talking" different regattas up, providing a platform for others to participate.

Kitty out

Well said!!

Now we return to our regularly scheduled anarchy

Sideshow:

Just a few thoughts:

Kitty out

Kitty, your respect for other competitors and willingness to discuss any issue on the water or off in a Corinthian manner never go unnoticed.

that sounds to sappy

PS - bite me

:lol:

Go MOR-ASS

All kidding aside, I believe that GOMORA is very, very special.

We all salute and thank those who thought it up, who organize it,

who plan it, who promote it, who score it, who run it, who host it,

who support it, and who participate.

After competing in a lot of sailing venues over the decades,

club racing, local, national and international one design,

east coast blue water, SORC, I have to say that

GOMORA is among the very best.

We certainly have the best scenery, and locations,

a broad spectrum of races to challenge our skills,

extremely competent Race Officers,

great conviviality, wonderful parties, and significant but not

brutally cut throat competition,

stalwart friends, worthy and knowledgeable competitors,

our share of characters and even a legend or two.

To me, in terms of location, out and out style

and really great fun, GOMORA is certainly the equal

of the storied SORC of the 70's and 80's.

I could see a day when the cruises from the NYYC,

and other large clubs on the east coast,

scheduled to link up with GOMRA

racing and social events,

to the benefit of both parties.

It certainly seems we are due a cover story

in Down East Magazine.

After all what event is more picturesque

and quintessential to the Maine experience?

You have experienced down east until you're

sailing 80 degrees to Monhegan in a south west wind

and rollers pushing your starboard quarter.

We are very lucky.

All kidding aside, I believe that GOMORA is very, very special.

We all salute and thank those who thought it up, who organize it,

who plan it, who promote it, who score it, who run it, who host it,

who support it, and who participate.

After competing in a lot of sailing venues over the decades,

club racing, local, national and international one design,

east coast blue water, SORC, I have to say that

GOMORA is among the very best.

We certainly have the best scenery, and locations,

a broad spectrum of races to challenge our skills,

extremely competent Race Officers,

great conviviality, wonderful parties, and significant but not

brutally cut throat competition,

stalwart friends, worthy and knowledgeable competitors,

our share of characters and even a legend or two.

To me, in terms of location, out and out style

and really great fun, GOMORA is certainly the equal

of the storied SORC of the 70's and 80's.

I could see a day when the cruises from the NYYC,

and other large clubs on the east coast,

scheduled to link up with GOMRA

racing and social events,

to the benefit of both parties.

It certainly seems we are due a cover story

in Down East Magazine.

After all what event is more picturesque

and quintessential to the Maine experience?

You have experienced down east until you're

sailing 80 degrees to Monhegan in a south west wind

and rollers pushing your starboard quarter.

We are very lucky.

Sailbad....next thing I know your going to show up tomorrow wearing a skirt. What happened the prozac kicked in and you're going soft on us??

Sailbad-

Rumor has it SS is trying out for the chipindales topmorrow and not going to be racing. Do you need a ride?

Thanks for the invite, Kitty.

Gonna finish out the season with SS.

But, remember what a great time we had last year, especially the lightship race.You went left out to the Hussy and ended up on top,

when others went right.

Then that beautiful long porttack out to the mark.

Anyway, are you wearing a dress to the party?

Don't wanna be the only one. :lol:

Thanks for the invite, Kitty.

Gonna finish out the season with SS.

But, remember what a great time we had last year, especially the lightship race.You went left out to the Hussy and ended up on top,

when others went right.

Then that beautiful long porttack out to the mark.

Anyway, are you wearing a dress to the party?

Don't wanna be the only one. :lol:

Sinner:

I can't decide-

my Little strapless black number or my low cut tight fitting red chiffon mini.

kitty

Fill or Kill worked out to be kill.

In the end we couldn't reach agreement.

Oh well- alternative is just as good!

I'm cool with that, I was just getting comfy anyway and change upsets me! Rag order: (O') DOYLE RULES! (Arcane Billy Madison reference that gets us to D4s :) )

No worries...new rags on the DOG and were good to go for 08 gmora jihad.

mor - ass 08 Jihad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kitty has so weT his PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yOU GUYS ROCK----THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT,,,

wENT WELL TODAY WITH THE 10NYR OLD THREE 3 DAYS LONG,TISSUE PAPER MAIN.

vERY POSSITIVE DAY........

CREW ISSUES ARE IN BACK OF US... LOOK OUT jIHAD 08

Looks like I'm going to have to grow a beard and get out the do-rag.

You n yer boat are alot of fun, hope youll have me in 08. As long as flyonwall and soggy are there, im SO there.

You n yer boat are alot of fun, hope youll have me in 08. As long as flyonwall and soggy are there, im SO there.

I had a blast on Sat...thanks for the ride Kitty. Flyonwall...I hope that your in for 08 as your much better up at the pointy end than I am.

I had a blast on Sat...thanks for the ride Kitty. Flyonwall...I hope that your in for 08 as your much better up at the pointy end than I am.

Soggy, It was great working with you on the bow you did a great job! This was one of Kitty's best races.

Kitty, Thanks for having me along the crew work was outstanding.

Soggy, It was great working with you on the bow you did a great job! This was one of Kitty's best races.

Kitty, Thanks for having me along the crew work was outstanding.

Right back at you Justagirl! If that was one of the better races....we've got a lot to look fwd to. It's a fun boat, and the crew makes a boat fun....there's a lot of great boats in our fleet which makes the sailing so enjoyable. Whopps....I think I just pulled a "sinner" somebody fetch me a skirt. :o

Right back at you Justagirl! If that was one of the better races....we've got a lot to look fwd to. It's a fun boat, and the crew makes a boat fun....there's a lot of great boats in our fleet which makes the sailing so enjoyable. Whopps....I think I just pulled a "sinner" somebody fetch me a skirt. :o

iF YOU'RE FETCHING A SKIRT, A NAME CHANGE IS SURELY IN ORDER- MAYBE SOGGY IN dRAG?

Yeah gotta watch out for that feminine side

Here is some GOOD news!

Turns out that there ia a special on Mt. Gay at the Portsmouth NH liquor store. I don't know if it is available at the other stores or how long it will last.

Around here a 1.75 liter bottle is about $36. In NH normally it is $26. Currently there is a sale and it is $22.

But wait - there's more...

There is an in-store coupon the cashiers have for $10 off a bottle. Yes, each bottle. This means a 1.75 liter Mt Gay is currently $12. :D

1.75 liter = 59.17 US fluid ounces or $0.20 an ounce.

I'll let everyone do the rest of the math themselves including how many bottles will fit in a car before the ME liquor board notices. Sinner this could be a whole new career for you - designated driver to NH :rolleyes: !

Here is some GOOD news!

Turns out that there ia a special on Mt. Gay at the Portsmouth NH liquor store. I don't know if it is available at the other stores or how long it will last.

Around here a 1.75 liter bottle is about $36. In NH normally it is $26. Currently there is a sale and it is $22.

There is an in-store coupon the cashiers have for $10 off a bottle. Yes, each bottle. This means a 1.75 liter Mt Gay is currently $12. :D

I'll let everyone do the rest of the math themselves including how many bottles will fit in a car before the ME liquor board notices. Sinner this could be a whole new career for you - designated driver to NH :rolleyes: !

FINALLY!! A post with some useful information! :D

Here is some GOOD news!

Sinner, I think this is your big moment. You were threatening a road trip to Nh. I'll kick in for a share. TH

Really. Is there going to be a pajama party and pillow fight later?

I'm thinking take off a little early and hit it up. Or, make a call to my new inside man in Portsmouth and get the stuff. Which store exactly was that Junior?

Oh, That could be deadly. To my liver.

Guess what, I got a fever, and the only prescription is, more RUM.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=71770844627024590

The one in the traffic circle. The cashier had the coupon in a drawer, if she doesn't offer you should ask about it. The coupon had a bar code on it and she just scanned it for each bottle and put it back in the drawer.

Navy

hmm.............................I wonder who I know who drives to Portsmouth for work everyday. Oh wait I DRIVE TO PORTSMOUTH FOR WORK EVERYDAY....gididy.

Effin A Bub!!

I just called my boy in Concord and told him to hightail it to the circle.

I hate paying 36 a jug, whenver I am in CT I get it at the bev warehouse for 26 a jug, and I buy 6 at a time. At 12 a jug, I should get a couple dozen... winter's a-coming !!

Effin A Bub!!

I just called my boy in Concord and told him to hightail it to the circle.

I hate paying 36 a jug, whenver I am in CT I get it at the bev warehouse for 26 a jug, and I buy 6 at a time. At 12 a jug, I should get a couple dozen... winter's a-coming !!

I'll run over at lunch and see if it's the real deal.

Here is some GOOD news!

Navy junior is my nomination for the 2007 Mor-Ass Humanitarian award.

Seconds?

I'll second that!!! Sould he also go for the board???

Jerk Report: 3 handles of MGR, total price $35.97. Which is $1 less than what you would pay for uno handle at Hannaford.

KITTY: Get your ticket to tombstone squared and I will buy you 12 bottles by high noon of the Lightship. tic toc tic toc

Jerk Report: 3 handles of MGR, total price $35.97. Which is $1 less than what you would pay for uno handle at Hannaford.

KITTY: Get your ticket to tombstone squared and I will buy you 12 bottles by high noon of the Lightship. tic toc tic toc

Hey JERK, my watch just stopped... :(

Hey Jerk,

Was it in the Portsmouth circle store?

My pal in Concord went to the Concord store and they looked at him like he had 3 heads when he asked about the "in-store coupon"

And now he is pissed at me for telling him to go get me 10 jugs at $12 per.

who is in for tomorrow?

BDPs in. Dirty dog, you guys in? Maxluff you guys in? Sideshow you bringing your laser?

I'm in as R/C...planning on starting then call me when you are ready to finish 4 hours later :(

Hey Jerk,

My pal in Concord went to the Concord store and they looked at him like he had 3 heads when he asked about the "in-store coupon"

P-mouth Circle store.

I'm going back today for MILKMAN

Hey Jerk,

Portsmouth Circle worked for me too. $11.99. Wow.

QUOTE(Kitty in Drag @ Sep 20 2007, 03:58 PM)

“Navy junior is my nomination for the 2007 Mor-Ass Humanitarian award.

Seconds?”

QUOTE(Justagirl @ Sep 20 2007, 10:12 PM)

"I'll second that!!! Sould he also go for the board???"

QUOTE(TheBoathouse @ Sep 20 2007, 10:26 PM)

"Maybe SHE should...."

"I'm not a secretary! That is the postion that is opening."

Actually I think he meant me...

And yes I have been asked, I'm thinking it over.

(Sorry about the format - haven't figured out adding mutiple quotes yet. :blink: ) Navy

QUOTE(Kitty in Drag @ Sep 20 2007, 03:58 PM)

"Navy junior is my nomination for the 2007 Mor-Ass Humanitarian award.

Seconds?"

QUOTE(Justagirl @ Sep 20 2007, 10:12 PM)

"I'll second that!!! Sould he also go for the board???"

QUOTE(TheBoathouse @ Sep 20 2007, 10:26 PM)

"Maybe SHE should...."

Actually I think he meant me...

And yes I have been asked, I'm thinking it over.

(Sorry about the format - haven't figured out adding mutiple quotes yet. :blink: ) Navy

Sorry I was asked too!

Hey Fly... how's school treatin' ya?

It's great!

Vermont is now ranked 19th in the country, we should be moving up the rankings next time they come out. My skip and I have shown everyone that we aren't just here to party. We'll see how the rest of the season goes.

follow us at uvm.edu/~sailing or http://www.collegesailing.org/neisa/default.asp

Kitty how late is the yacht going to stay in?

oh and classes are going well too...

fly out... stay tuned for more updates

It's great!

Vermont is now ranked 19th in the country, we should be moving up the rankings next time they come out. My skip and I have shown everyone that we aren't just here to party. We'll see how the rest of the season goes.

follow us at uvm.edu/~sailing or http://www.collegesailing.org/neisa/default.asp

Go FLY go!

It's great!

Awesome!

Well today was the last day of racing in the gulf of maine and it was a great day to be on the the water. It's always fun to be tested and pushed a little to keep a boat upright on the water. And today was 1 on those days. The wind was up with gusts to 29 and and over speeds over 12 knots down wind and main that was lossing weigth aloft the more we sailed. Kitty thanks for the ride it's always an adventure sailing on the Big Dog Party. Thanks for the invite Just a Girl!!

Racing may be over for 2007 season but there is 1 more water event coming up. On saturday December 15 we have the Portland Harbor Christmas Boat Parade of Lights. This will be the 7th year of the parade and I'm hope the biggest. In past years we have had between 16 and 29 boats for 16 to 80 feet long all decked up in Christmas Lights and Santa's parading around Portland Harbor. It is a wonderful site to be seen. If you are planning on keeping your boat in the water please come and join the fun in the parade. Sailing Boats, Power boats and Tugs are all welcome. See how wonderful boats of all kinds look with a few Christmas Lights on the water..

post-14749-1191107944_thumb.jpg

post-14749-1191108105_thumb.jpg

So, is there any organized (read: for any value of organized) frostbiting in Casco Bay?

I know there used to be a group at PYS on the Ynglings.

there is, it fills up really fast. I doubt there are still spots available but its worth a shot... try either sailmaine or andrew carey(?) i think? it's one of the J24 sailors organizes i

there is, it fills up really fast. I doubt there are still spots available but its worth a shot... try either sailmaine or andrew carey(?) i think? it's one of the J24 sailors organizes i

Thanks for the info.

The word I got from Sailmaine is that the series starts on Oct. 28 and runs until the last Sunday in Dec.

Team slots may still be available.

FWIW - 2 more Wednesday night races at CYC. Nothing fancy, 1 class, chutes, warning at 6pm, start at 6:05 - get the course from the committee boat (Ch 68) or hail someone. We start around Fish Point or Fort Gorges. Race into the sunset and beyond. Past couple of weeks have been absolutly beautiful.

So here's a little item that I will throw out for debate now that the season is over. Is GMORA basically irrelevant at this point? PYC has the PYC/Stirrings Race Series which includes (the Pilot Regatta, the PHRF State of Maine Championships & One Design Regatta, the Monhegan Island Race, and the 3 regatta Fall Series which accounts for what 80% of the big boat racing in Maine? Racers Downeast don't want anything to do with GMORA and I am sure Boothbay and Southport would survive without them and PHRF ratings come from PHRF New England. What exactly does it bring to the table?

So here's a little item that I will throw out for debate now that the season is over. Is GMORA basically irrelevant at this point? PYC has the PYC/Stirrings Race Series which includes (the Pilot Regatta, the PHRF State of Maine Championships & One Design Regatta, the Monhegan Island Race, and the 3 regatta Fall Series which accounts for what 80% of the big boat racing in Maine? Racers Downeast don't want anything to do with GMORA and I am sure Boothbay and Southport would survive without them and PHRF ratings come from PHRF New England. What exactly does it bring to the table?

POPCORN............

Its a fair question and maybe the answer is that GMORA's time has run. The only reason I see for GMORA is to provide an umbrella score for those who race outside the PYC races -including Southport and Boothbay, which you mentioned, and HYC and CYC, which you didn't. If you disband GMORA, you will also need to make PYC (or some successor entity to GMORA) the PHRF-NE local fleet since PHRF-NE requires you to go through your local fleet to get a certificate if you're from Maine/Mass/NH.