Gulf of maine scuttlebut

It would never get enough boats to matter.

Why? (or why not?)

How many boats are needed for a race to matter? Matter to whom?

What is required of a race so that it attracts "enough boats to matter?"

I'm asking these as general questions, not necessarily specific to a Provincetown-Portland Race... (or should that be a Portland to Provincetown race???)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Why? (or why not?)

How many boats are needed for a race to matter? Matter to whom?

What is required of a race so that it attracts "enough boats to matter?"

I'm asking these as general questions, not necessarily specific to a Provincetown-Portland Race... (or should that be a Portland to Provincetown race???)

I'll answer specifically to P-town to Portland. Since only one boat does the figuawi on a regular basis- Kaos- I don't think you would have enough boats to race. We went this year (And we travel as much is not more then anyone) and we will not be going back any time soon.

would you do the race in your boat, Cat?

would you do the race in your boat, Cat

Kitty, I would not do a race between P-town and Portland aboard my little orange boat -- it barely meets Category 5 requirements! But my bigger gray boat will be going back into the water next spring and it would be capable. Of course it would likely do better on a race from Portland to Provincetown than one from Provincetown to Portland, so maybe the race should be a 2-leg round-trip event!

here's a crack at it for conversations sake.

Mission Statement;

Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Association is a none profit organization run by it's members to work with Yacht Clubs and other qualified organizations to schedule a competitive and diversafied series of races hosted by previously mentioned Yacht Clubs and/or organizations. Promote participation in GMORA racing series and govern over the scoring and scheduling of that series.

here's a crack at it for conversations sake.

Mission Statement;

Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Association is a none profit organization run by it's members to work with Yacht Clubs and other qualified organizations to schedule a competitive and diversafied series of races hosted by previously mentioned Yacht Clubs and/or organizations. Promote participation in GMORA racing series and govern over the scoring and scheduling of that series.

:):)

I think the English majors might have a little difficulty with it.

Has anyone ever looked into grant money for GMORA, I sit on the board of a nonprofit that brings in 75% of it's revenue through grant monies, modifying a mission statement that fits into a grant opportunity and having outlined goals for the organization could open some doors in this area if the goals match the grant criteria. maybe I am just wasting my time - -how's my spelling.

This is of course is looking back to the posts that discussed GMORA maybe changing the mission statement.

Has anyone ever looked into grant money for GMORA, I sit on the board of a nonprofit that brings in 75% of it's revenue through grant monies, modifying a mission statement that fits into a grant opportunity and having outlined goals for the organization could open some doors in this area if the goals match the grant criteria. maybe I am just wasting my time - -how's my spelling.

This is of course is looking back to the posts that discussed GMORA maybe changing the mission statement.

Having written many, many, MANY grant proposals in my day I think GMORA has a long way to go toward defining what it would need grant money for before it can go this route, otherwise it would be a huge waste of time for whomever had to write the grant proposals. Grant money is great if you can get it but it comes with alot of strings and is much more work than you might think.

If GMORA becomes a website that keeps contact info and scores and sponsors a series of races every year, and that's it, then I think it fills it's purpose very well. Alot of other stuff that relies heavily on volunteer effort can go by the wayside...in this age of web-dom there's really no need for a printed yearbook anymore, for example. I mean, none of what GMORA does and could do is very difficult, it's just time consuming, and that's the problem when you're seeking volunteer help isn't it.

If you disband GMORA, you will also need to make PYC (or some successor entity to GMORA) the PHRF-NE local fleet since PHRF-NE requires you to go through your local fleet to get a certificate if you're from Maine/Mass/NH.

No offense to the fine folks at PYC, but as a CYC member I'd much prefer to have my local fleet be GMORA rather than another area club.

For that reason alone, they do provide value.

Having written many, many, MANY grant proposals in my day I think GMORA has a long way to go toward defining what it would need grant money for before it can go this route, otherwise it would be a huge waste of time for whomever had to write the grant proposals. Grant money is great if you can get it but it comes with alot of strings and is much more work than you might think.

If GMORA becomes a website that keeps contact info and scores and sponsors a series of races every year, and that's it, then I think it fills it's purpose very well. Alot of other stuff that relies heavily on volunteer effort can go by the wayside...in this age of web-dom there's really no need for a printed yearbook anymore, for example. I mean, none of what GMORA does and could do is very difficult, it's just time consuming, and that's the problem when you're seeking volunteer help isn't it.

Snakepliskin makes a good point about grants. It is an incredible amount of work to put together a proposal and present it to a potential donor, and you generally have to make many requests before you find someone willing to donate. This kind of work is a full-time job at many non-profits (ever seen an ad for a "development director?). None of the five people who do all the work has time for this, and judging from past history, I wouldn't expect to see a slew of volunteers step up for this kind of work.

Besides, GMORA does not need the additional revenue. It is solvent and has adequate financial resources for what it does. What would you propose the additional revenue be used for, and who is going to do all the work that new task or tasks will entail?

I respectfully disagree with Snake on the Yearbook. While the web site can be a good resource, you can't put copies of it at yacht clubs, marinas, and other places where potential new racers might congregate. And it kind of lacks the permanence and history that you get with a collection of yearbooks. It think both the web site and the yearbook are important -- each has its own strengths and weaknesses, and neither one of them can replace the other.

I respectfully disagree with Snake on the Yearbook. While the web site can be a good resource, you can't put copies of it at yacht clubs, marinas, and other places where potential new racers might congregate. And it kind of lacks the permanence and history that you get with a collection of yearbooks. It think both the web site and the yearbook are important -- each has its own strengths and weaknesses, and neither one of them can replace the other.

Fair point. :)

Besides, GMORA does not need the additional revenue. It is solvent and has adequate financial resources for what it does. What would you propose the additional revenue be used for, and who is going to do all the work that new task or tasks will entail?

maybe a couple of part time employees to take the work load of the volunteers. Leas on with club members and decision makers at clubs, build promotional materials and mail them to GMORA members to up participation in races and events. Volunteer members could concentrate on being board members not stuffing envelopes (thats a figure of speach). Promote the GMORA series. Maybe grants are not the answer (there are a lot of different ones out there and it does take time), but an influx a revenue when properly managed will make any organization better.

maybe a couple of part time employees to take the work load of the volunteers. Leas on with club members and decision makers at clubs, build promotional materials and mail them to GMORA members to up participation in races and events. Volunteer members could concentrate on being board members not stuffing envelopes (thats a figure of speach). Promote the GMORA series. Maybe grants are not the answer (there are a lot of different ones out there and it does take time), but an influx a revenue when properly managed will make any organization better.

I'm intrigued by your suggestion to beef up promotion to GMORA members. Here's what's going on right now:

• Maine Yacht Racing Yearbook (mailed to all GMORA members, with additional copies distributed to yacht clubs, chandleries, and other places where potential racers including non-members congregate)
  • Clubs running races send out NORs and registration forms ahead of time (to members and non-members - whoever's on the club's mailing list)
  • E-mail newsletter to GMORA membership - sent weekly during the season, less often off-season
  • Fleet captains (we come up short on this one due to lack of volunteers, but the idea is the fleet captain to call their class skippers and get them to come to the race)
  • The web site
  • Special deals for new particpants, like waiving membership fee in first year

Do you really think that spending a bunch of money on the creation and mailing of some glossy color brochures is going to increase participation? I'm not so sure.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but IMVHO, in order to boost participation, we first need to do find out (1)why people aren't getting out there, and (2)what, if anything, would entice them to get out there. We all have our ideas about that, but without asking, we'll never know for sure. And our research should go beyond current membership -- it should include past members and potential future members -- IOW, anyone with a sailboat.

Do you really think that spending a bunch of money on the creation and mailing of some glossy color brochures is going to increase participation? I'm not so sure.

No, mailing color brochures will not have a large impact I agree-

spending money on people does make a difference, college internships to conduct a study or part time employees to work on all the things that you listed - so that the volunteer governing body can act as a board and govern and not find themselves over worked and frustrated. I guess my suggestion is that GMORA needs an employee or maybe two to act out the ideas of the board and perform the tasks that are time consuming and report back to the board. A volunteer organization can find itself not able to execute programs that will advance the organization, which causes internal frustration and high turn over.

No, mailing color brochures will not have a large impact I agree-

spending money on people does make a difference, college internships to conduct a study or part time employees to work on all the things that you listed - so that the volunteer governing body can act as a board and govern and not find themselves over worked and frustrated. I guess my suggestion is that GMORA needs an employee or maybe two to act out the ideas of the board and perform the tasks that are time consuming and report back to the board. A volunteer organization can find itself not able to execute programs that will advance the organization, which causes internal frustration and high turn over.

Does anyone know the numbers of members in GOM compared to say Marblehead or Portsmouth group? I like numbers!!

Does anyone know the numbers of members in GOM compared to say Marblehead or Portsmouth group? I like numbers!!

The valid list is right there at www.phrfne.org. It's a pdf, but perhaps some geek can convert it to excel or a word table and sort by fleet. I'm technology-challenged so I don't know if it can be done.

But having employee(s) would raise cost. And racing is already an expense sport! How many people can afford it?

That was the 1997 Sports Illustrated Swim Suite edition.

I'll never be able to look at Kathy Ireland the same way again.

Oh! Thanks for the correction I didn't look that close at it I must of mistaken the swim siuts for dead flys!! Thanks!!

But having employee(s) would raise cost. And racing is already an expense sport! How many people can afford it?

I do not know what the books look like but there are other revenue sources aside from charging members. The involvement of Stirrings at PYC for example has certainly added to the quality events put on by PYC with no additional cost to sailors.

The valid list is right there at www.phrfne.org. It's a pdf, but perhaps some geek can convert it to excel or a word table and sort by fleet. I'm technology-challenged so I don't know if it can be done.

Thanks!! Number all most always raise new questions?

I have to wonder if the the fleets in Massachusetts are handled by Yacht Club? Anyone know?

* assumed New England was in Massachusetts and I have no idea on Jubilee

Also assumed at least 1 % error as data needed some manual messaging do to type o's data convertion

Abbreviation Fleet Count State State Count

BSN Boston 12 MA

CAN Cape Ann 19 MA

COD Cape Cod 99 MA

CYC Constitution 31 MA

HGM Hingham 50 MA

MAT Mattapoisett 40 MA

MHD Marblehead 136 MA

MRN Marion 77 MA

NBD New Bedford 79 MA

NPT Newburyport 13 MA

NEW New England 142 MA

NHT Nahant 18 MA

PLY Plymouth 12 MA

SAL Salem 18 MA

SCT Scituate 20 MA 766 sub tot MA

GOM Gulf of Maine 176 ME 176

LKW Lake Winnipesaukee 0 NH

MAN Manchester 1 NH

PTS Portsmouth 32 NH 33

JBE Jubilee 44 UnK 44

[/size]

1019 1019

This editor sucks!!!!!!

I do not know what the books look like but there are other revenue sources aside from charging members. The involvement of Stirrings at PYC for example has certainly added to the quality events put on by PYC with no additional cost to sailors.

I know in the 90's the awards dinner was paid for by the Yearbook ad sales. What happened to that?

OK, here are the numbers of boats in each "fleet," sorted from the 2007 Valid List (September 26, 2007) as taken from the PHRF-NE site:

BSN Boston		  13
CAN Cape Ann		19
COD Cape Cod		99
CYC Constitution	31
GOM Maine		  176
HGM Hingham		 50
JBE Jubilee		 44
MAT Mattapoisett	39
MHD Marblehead	 136
MRN Marion		  78
NBD New Bedford	 79
NEW New England	143
NHT Nahant		  18
NPT Newburyport	 13
PLY Plymouth		12
PTS Portsmouth	  32
SAL Salem		   18
SCT Scituate		20

(funny, but the 2007 valid list doesn't list any boats from the Lake Winnipesauke fleet...)

So, the Gulf of Maine is by far the largest fleet in PHRF-NE, for whatever it's worth.

These are the numbers of members PHRF could use for mass mailings and email blasts. They are from the PHRF mailing list that was current last February. (Sorry I don't usually bother getting the current list until after New Years.) They reflect three years of registered members. So GMORA may have 200 new or returning members in 2007 but the mailing list reflects 300.

I don't use any of the groups from Cape Cod south so that's why they are blank. "Jubilee" is out of Beverly, MA. "New England" is the fleet assembled for the bi-annual ocean racers that are not a member of any of the other PHRF fleets. So you will see that number as 120 current one year and 0 the next. Some of the "members" are organizers, administrators or yacht club representatives and not racers so the 1% factor is probably valid if you are looking for the maximum number of boats that may actually show up for an event.

BSN Boston 21

CAN Cape Ann 46

COD Cape Cod

CYC Constitution 40

GOM Maine 299

HGM Hingham 75

JBE Jubilee 66

LKW Lake Winnipesauke

MAT Mattapoisett

MHD Marblehead 199

MRN Marion

NBD New Bedford

NEW New England 201

NHT Nahant 18

NPT Newburyport 14

PLY Plymouth 22

PSA Portsmouth 45

SAL Salem

SCT Scituate 36

I'm not sure if this gets you what you want to know but here it is.

Navy

Just for fun I looked at the 2004 valid list also, so here are the numbers of boats in each "fleet" from 2004 and 2007, and the percent change in numbers between those years:

2004 2007 % change
BSN  Boston		 16   13   -19
CAN  Cape Ann	   38   19   -50
COD  Cape Cod	   153  99   -35
CYC  Constitution   31   31   0
GOM  Maine		  207  176  -15
HGM  Hingham		55   50   -9
JBE  Jubilee		56   44   -21
LKW  Winnipesauke   7		 
MAT  Mattapoisett   41   39   -5
MHD  Marblehead	 147  136  -7
MRN  Marion		 75   78   4
NBD  New Bedford	78   79   1
NEW  New England	97   143  47
NHT  Nahant		 14   18   29
NPT  Newburyport	11   13   18
PLY  Plymouth	   19   12   -37
PTS  Portsmouth	 33   32   -3
SAL  Salem		  16   18   13
SCT  Scituate	   29   20   -31

I know in the 90's the awards dinner was paid for by the Yearbook ad sales. What happened to that?

Are you saying that people didn't used to have to buy dinner tickets? I don't recall that, but I wasn't involved in the 1990s other than just showing up for the party.

I can tell you that recent years' yearbook revenue hasn't been adequate to fund the dinner; it barely covers the cost of publishing the yearbook. GMORA outsources the publication and ad sales for the yearbook to a vendor. While GMORA helps with providing editorial content, the ad sales are done totally by the vendor, and they have been down in recent years.

Are you saying that people didn't used to have to buy dinner tickets? I don't recall that, but I wasn't involved in the 1990s other than just showing up for the party.

I can tell you that recent years' yearbook revenue hasn't been adequate to fund the dinner; it barely covers the cost of publishing the yearbook. GMORA outsources the publication and ad sales for the yearbook to a vendor. While GMORA helps with providing editorial content, the ad sales are done totally by the vendor, and they have been down in recent years.

Yes the yearbook revenues paid for the dinner no dinner tickets! of course I was only crew back then but that what I was told.

The issue of relavency is different from the issue of performance.

Back to relevancy, based on 176 valid certs in GOM and only 24 boats racing the 9 days to qualify for the overall trophy. So if only 13.6% of memberships are competing for the overall is it relevant? Or should we be looking at something that could involve a higher percentage of the membership?

Here's an interesting comparison, looking at NavyJunior's mailing list numbers for the fleets compared to the number of boats with valid certificates in each of the fleets (2007):

MailingList   2007 %certificates
Boston		 21   13   62
Cape Ann	   46   19   41
Cape Cod			99   
Constitution   40   31   78
Maine		 299  176   59
Hingham		75   50   67
Jubilee		66   44   67
Mattapoisett		39   
Marblehead	199  136   68
Marion			  78   
New Bedford		 79   
New England	201  143  71
Nahant		 18   18  100
Newburyport	14   13   93
Plymouth	   22   12   55
Portsmouth	 45   32   71
Salem			   18   
Scituate	   36   20   56

Given the distribution of fleets relative to geography, comparing GOM to say Mass Bay (6 or 7 "distinct" fleets between Boston and Cape Ann) or Buzzards Bay (3 distinct fleets), would it make sense to divide the Gulf of Maine fleet into a couple smaller fleets?

Back to relevancy, based on 176 valid certs in GOM and only 24 boats racing the 9 days to qualify for the overall trophy. So if only 13.6% of memberships are competing for the overall is it relevant? Or should we be looking at something that could involve a higher percentage of the membership?

What do you have in mind? My experience in GMORA has been that every effort is directed at increasing participation and we are always open to ideas.

The numbers you are using indicate that you want to increase the percentage of members racing. This can be done by reducing the number of members or increasing the number of races they participate in. If you are considering reducing the number members you would have to address PHRF-NE's requirement of getting a PHRF cert through your local fleet or get regatta hosts to drop PHRF cert requirements.

I have to assume you would lean toward increasing participation. The number of required days is set to try to encourage as much participation as possible. Reducing the number of required days to something more attainable for some boats would at the same time reduce the number of days required, and probably the number of days raced, for the boats that currently qualify.

As with most things, the devil is in the details. But ALL ideas are encouraged!!!

What do you have in mind? My experience in GMORA has been that every effort is directed at increasing participation and we are always open to ideas.

The numbers you are using indicate that you want to increase the percentage of members racing. This can be done by reducing the number of members or increasing the number of races they participate in. If you are considering reducing the number members you would have to address PHRF-NE's requirement of getting a PHRF cert through your local fleet or get regatta hosts to drop PHRF cert requirements.

I have to assume you would lean toward increasing participation. The number of required days is set to try to encourage as much participation as possible. Reducing the number of required days to something more attainable for some boats would at the same time reduce the number of days required, and probably the number of days raced, for the boats that currently qualify.

As with most things, the devil is in the details. But ALL ideas are encouraged!!!

It would be wonderful to increase participation in the seasons overall awards but the reality is the Racing is an expensive sport. And most don’t have the kind of money to enter all the races and have the sail inventory to be competitive. I’m ball parking some numbers here but between entry fees, food and beer for crew, travel and mooring and or dock fees we are talking spending between $200 - $500 a day or $1800 - $4500 for 9 races and that’s before sails, equipment failures, bottom washing or just stuff lost overboard. I would guess that big boats are spending between $20,000 and $30,000 a season to compete.

How many of 176 members can afford it? 13.6%

More Excel Spreadsheet Analyses

Besides the expense side of the picture that Justagirl mentions, another issue is that of geography.

Looking at the GMORA Final 2007 Results spreadsheet, only four GMORA-member boats sailed races in all three regions (West, Central, East).

Cats Paw (Frederick Minson)

Hankerin (Ted Smith)

Sheerness (MMA)

Fearless (Betty Minson)

(Note that they're all boats "based" in the Central region; and two of those are typically short-handed)

Another 24 boats sailed races in two out of the three regions, 23 of those were West and Central, while only one (Sidewinder, T.R. Rolfes) sailed races in both East and Central regions.

12 GMORA-member boats sailed in Central Races only

15 GMORA-member boats sailed in Eastern Races only

28 GMORA-member boats sailed in Western Races only

Note that for the purposes of this analysis, I counted the ME-PHRF championships as "Western Races", since that's where they are held, and the Boothbay and Seguin Regattas as "Central Races." I did not count participation in the NE-PHRF championships for this analysis.

Clearly there is very little overlap in participation between East and West.

Why don't more boats from the West compete in Down East Race Week?

Why don't any boats from down east come to participate in the ME-PHRF championships?

Why don't more boats from the West compete in Down East Race Week?

Why don't any boats from down east come to participate in the ME-PHRF championships?

Because each group has local races they can do instead (namely the Monhegan and the MDI series).

As to justagirl's comment about the expense: We don't spend the amount she quoted, but we have a 30-year-old cruiser/racer, with non-exotic sails and a six-second rec credit, and when in Boothbay, sleep on the boat instead of at a $150/night hotel. We're not be going home with a pickle dish every weekend, but it's still fun.

That said, the entry fees for the PYC races are getting a bit steep. We did get some nice swag for it this year, but how much swag does one need?

IMO this discussion is headed in the right direction....it seems to always come down to time and money, doesn't it. Figure out how to, for the average joe (which includes joe crew as well as the boat owners), make GMORA as cheap as possible and as time-respectful as possible and that seems a good starting point to attract growth. If going by those PHRF NE fleet numbers is any indication, the only fleet that's "grown" in the last 4 years is the general catch-all "New England" fleet which has to include some formerly more involved New England boats and programs have chosen to do just one or two events a season or even less rather than slug it out over the course of a whole season, likely largely because of time and money, some of it having to do with the general trend away from PHRF racing in general. Once Design has become stronger and stronger and IRC lately has been taking much of the handicap demand.

How about GMORA sponsors an IRC measurer to come up and measure a bunch of boats? There's one in NH with a portable scale who's probably already measured all the MHead and points south boats who want to do IRC. No idea if that'd help GMORA participation.

...Why don't more boats from the West compete in Down East Race Week?...

I have only done Down East Race Week once and it was a great event. A bit different since there is no where to stay but all the boats raft up together each night and party down. I don't know if it is a regular thing but mid week we got off the boats for a great Lobster bake put on by David R. on Bartlett island. Kollegewidgwok Yacht Club in blue hill is full of great people and a nice dinner was put on. It is a fun event but a difficult commitment for a boat with a large crew, but highly recommended.

... Once Design has become stronger and stronger ...

I think that is the exact reason why the Winnipesaukee numbers are odd, most racing these days on the lake is J-80's - a good size fleet 14-16 boats show at the line on a regular basis.

It would be wonderful to increase participation in the seasons overall awards but the reality is the Racing is an expensive sport. And most don’t have the kind of money to enter all the races and have the sail inventory to be competitive. I’m ball parking some numbers here but between entry fees, food and beer for crew, travel and mooring and or dock fees we are talking spending between $200 - $500 a day or $1800 - $4500 for 9 races and that’s before sails, equipment failures, bottom washing or just stuff lost overboard. I would guess that big boats are spending between $20,000 and $30,000 a season to compete.

How many of 176 members can afford it? 13.6%

Institute a trophy for the boat that sails the most miles between races.

G

IMO this discussion is headed in the right direction....it seems to always come down to time and money, doesn't it. Figure out how to, for the average joe (which includes joe crew as well as the boat owners), make GMORA as cheap as possible and as time-respectful as possible and that seems a good starting point to attract growth. If going by those PHRF NE fleet numbers is any indication, the only fleet that's "grown" in the last 4 years is the general catch-all "New England" fleet which has to include some formerly more involved New England boats and programs have chosen to do just one or two events a season or even less rather than slug it out over the course of a whole season, likely largely because of time and money, some of it having to do with the general trend away from PHRF racing in general. Once Design has become stronger and stronger and IRC lately has been taking much of the handicap demand.

How about GMORA sponsors an IRC measurer to come up and measure a bunch of boats? There's one in NH with a portable scale who's probably already measured all the MHead and points south boats who want to do IRC. No idea if that'd help GMORA participation.

IRC is not a solution for Morr-ass.

I have only done Down East Race Week once and it was a great event. A bit different since there is no where to stay but all the boats raft up together each night and party down. I don't know if it is a regular thing but mid week we got off the boats for a great Lobster bake put on by David R. on Bartlett island. Kollegewidgwok Yacht Club in blue hill is full of great people and a nice dinner was put on. It is a fun event but a difficult commitment for a boat with a large crew, but highly recommended.

We would do down east race week if it wasn't on top of Monhegan

From my understanding of IRC, the rule is basically being used by the Gran Prix fleet in Long Island Sound, Key West Race Week and other major events. I don't think it has replaced PHRF. In fact, it was introduced as an alternative to IMS. An attempt to enforce participation for boats over say 36 feet at major events like Block Island Race Week seems to have worked, but 45 out of 114 boats that raced handicap at BIRW raced PHRF. Even the original US-IRC Mission Statement for USIRC stated it was not a rule meant to replace PHRF.

Sailboat racing across all venues is and has been in decline for decades. So is golf and skiing. Lack of willingness or ability to commit the time necessary is one common issue with all three sports. This is a relatively new trend. That's whay mid-week evening racing is growing in participation in many PHRF-NE fleets, including centerbaord and Harraseeket YCs. Money has always been an issue for all three sports and therefore, IMO is not a causal facture for the recent decline.

From my understanding of IRC, the rule is basically being used by the Gran Prix fleet in Long Island Sound, Key West Race Week and other major events. I don't think it has replaced PHRF. In fact, it was introduced as an alternative to IMS. An attempt to enforce participation for boats over say 36 feet at major events like Block Island Race Week seems to have worked, but 45 out of 114 boats that raced handicap at BIRW raced PHRF. Even the original US-IRC Mission Statement for USIRC stated it was not a rule meant to replace PHRF.

Sailboat racing across all venues is and has been in decline for decades. So is golf and skiing. Lack of willingness or ability to commit the time necessary is one common issue with all three sports. This is a relatively new trend. That's whay mid-week evening racing is growing in participation in many PHRF-NE fleets, including centerbaord and Harraseeket YCs. Money has always been an issue for all three sports and therefore, IMO is not a causal facture for the recent decline.

No, I know the history of IRC and it's purpose. just throwing it out there. I agree its probably not a great solution to anything within GMORA.

While I fully agree that money has been and always will be an issue with sailing I somewhat disagree that it's no worse than it used to be. Everything in our society from sail costs to travel and hotel costs to gas etc is more expensive, even relatively, than it used to be. Much of it is nickel and dime stuff but it adds up...one of the big reasons for the division between Handy's midsummas and Camden/Castine was related to that, it's just so damned expensive to do Camden/Castine now where before at least you could sleep on your boat or stay at the academy or on the training ship (this is going back a LONG way but I know you remember the days) which they'd never even consider today. For me, as a crew, I'd sometimes rather sail one day at Handy's and spend $20 on beer than 2 days up at Camden Castine when i know my weekend expenditures are going to be much higher, even with the skipper paying for most of it....and, there goes my weekend, which is often ok, but not always.

IMo part of making sailing more accessible is making it cheaper for the average guy, unless you know anyone who already has all the crew they need. :)

Increasing Participation--What is the goal?

a: get the boats that already participate some to participate more - i.e., have them race more races?

b: get the boats that have valid certificates but who are not racing in GMORA events to race in GMORA events?

c: get more boats who are not on the valid list yet (e.g. the cruisers), to participate?

There are 176 boats in the GOM fleet on the 2007 Valid List, and yet the GMORA Final Season Results list only 82 GMORA-member boats as having raced in at least one GMORA race -- only about 47% of those holding valid certificates race in GMORA events.

Breakdowns by class (note I counted the cruising-class boats in the appropriate racing class based on their given rating, 'cause there's no way to tell from the Valid List whether a boat intends to race with or without spinnakers):

Class A (up to 75): 44 on the Valid List, with 25 participants = 57%

Class B (76-102): 30 on the Valid List, with 19 participants = 63%

Class C (103-149): 50 on the Valid List, with 21 participants = 42%

Class D (150 and up): 52 on the Valid List, with 18 participants = 35%

If the goal is to increase the rate of participation among those boats who already have valid certificates, then we need to offer events that would appeal to the C and D class boats (many of whom race without spinnakers, and/or race with relatively short-handed family crews).

Don't we already offer an award at each regatta for the best performance by a boat with 30% or more of juniors on the crew (Hank Spencer Award?)? How about offering a similar award for the best performance by a boat whose crew are all related (family)? Or the best performance in class by a boat that raced short-handed (say less than 1/3 of the crew allowance)? Best performance by a boat who's average crew age is over some age (like, say 50)?

I also like the season award for the boat that sailed the most miles between regattas!

No, I know the history of IRC and it's purpose. just throwing it out there. I agree its probably not a great solution to anything within GMORA.

While I fully agree that money has been and always will be an issue with sailing I somewhat disagree that it's no worse than it used to be. Everything in our society from sail costs to travel and hotel costs to gas etc is more expensive, even relatively, than it used to be. Much of it is nickel and dime stuff but it adds up...one of the big reasons for the division between Handy's midsummas and Camden/Castine was related to that, it's just so damned expensive to do Camden/Castine now where before at least you could sleep on your boat or stay at the academy or on the training ship (this is going back a LONG way but I know you remember the days) which they'd never even consider today. For me, as a crew, I'd sometimes rather sail one day at Handy's and spend $20 on beer than 2 days up at Camden Castine when i know my weekend expenditures are going to be much higher, even with the skipper paying for most of it....and, there goes my weekend, which is often ok, but not always.

IMo part of making sailing more accessible is making it cheaper for the average guy, unless you know anyone who already has all the crew they need. :)

Yeh, you're right if you want to stay in a hotel in Camden friday Night and castine Saturday Night. Even the most stripped out boats can accomodate a bunch of guys for a couple of nights. It's a discretionary expense IMO. Last year, me and my crew slept on the boat and grilled out at Eaton's dock saturday night in Castine. We even skipped the bars and drank our own booze.

I agree that making it cheaper for the average guy is a worthy goal.

Don't we already offer an award at each regatta for the best performance by a boat with 30% or more of juniors on the crew (Hank Spencer Award?)? How about offering a similar award for the best performance by a boat whose crew are all related (family)? Or the best performance in class by a boat that raced short-handed (say less than 1/3 of the crew allowance)? Best performance by a boat who's average crew age is over some age (like, say 50)?

I also like the season award for the boat that sailed the most miles between regattas!

itf139020.jpg

GMORA has a hard enough time getting the YCs to give out the Spencer award. It's like pulling teeth to get them to take the time to keep track of the qualifying boats and their respective performance. Can't imagine what it would be like if we added more awards into the mix!

BUT... any of the above could be good for what we call the "silly" season-end awards.

Yeh, you're right if you want to stay in a hotel in Camden friday Night and castine Saturday Night. Even the most stripped out boats can accomodate a bunch of guys for a couple of nights. It's a discretionary expense IMO. Last year, me and my crew slept on the boat and grilled out at Eaton's dock saturday night in Castine. We even skipped the bars and drank our own booze.

I agree that making it cheaper for the average guy is a worthy goal.

I dunno, doggone... maybe the crew are too pussified to sleep in those cramped berths on their stripped-out boats! :ph34r:

Increasing Participation--What is the goal?

a: get the boats that already participate some to participate more - i.e., have them race more races?

b: get the boats that have valid certificates but who are not racing in GMORA events to race in GMORA events?

c: get more boats who are not on the valid list yet (e.g. the cruisers), to participate?

There are 176 boats in the GOM fleet on the 2007 Valid List, and yet the GMORA Final Season Results list only 82 GMORA-member boats as having raced in at least one GMORA race -- only about 47% of those holding valid certificates race in GMORA events.

Breakdowns by class (note I counted the cruising-class boats in the appropriate racing class based on their given rating, 'cause there's no way to tell from the Valid List whether a boat intends to race with or without spinnakers):

Class A (up to 75): 44 on the Valid List, with 25 participants = 57%

Class B (76-102): 30 on the Valid List, with 19 participants = 63%

Class C (103-149): 50 on the Valid List, with 21 participants = 42%

Class D (150 and up): 52 on the Valid List, with 18 participants = 35%

If the goal is to increase the rate of participation among those boats who already have valid certificates, then we need to offer events that would appeal to the C and D class boats (many of whom race without spinnakers, and/or race with relatively short-handed family crews).

I like this thought process but I'd like to try to nudge it in a slightly different direction.

Honestly and sincerely, how many of us are in it for the trophy? Yea, it's kinda cool to see your name engraved in something that is going to be hanging around at PYC for a while but is that really what gets us out there?

It's fun, that's why we do it.

Now we have to figure out two things. How to show more people how much fun it is (get people that don't race to try it) and make it more fun for those that are already doing it (get people that race a little to race more).

The challenge here is that there doesn't seem to be a way to do accomplish this in bulk. We had limited success with a couple of 'intro to racing' seminars that GMORA might be able to do on a more reguler basis WITH A LITTLE MORE HELP (hint, hint). If each and every one of us brought just one more boat to the line for one race we would increase our race days tremendously. There are probably more ideas in this group, lets hear them!

As for making it more fun, I might edit that to making it a better value. PYC puts on great events but I'm not sure I'll be signing up next year, there have to be people that are drawing the line sooner than I am. Another big challenge is breaking the 'elitist' stigma, we all should be bringing as many people into the fold as possible.

Lastly, I think the biggest thing we can all do to increase participation in our sport is for everyone to contact their state representatives and make soccer illegal in this state. Kids should be sailing.

kids are sailing...they want to be sailing more.

I don't think I had a weekend go by without one of my friends asking if I knew of a ride for them at a weekend regatta. They want to be sailing. Southport and Ted have done an excellent job with this... I think PYC is lacking... if you want an increase in junior participation you need to go to yacht clubs and ask the coaches about kids. The only reason I'm sailing big boats is because of Snakes and Soggy's willingness to train me.

FLY

-BTW UVM is now ranked 15th....

kids are sailing...they want to be sailing more.

I don't think I had a weekend go by without one of my friends asking if I knew of a ride for them at a weekend regatta. They want to be sailing. Southport and Ted have done an excellent job with this... I think PYC is lacking... if you want an increase in junior participation you need to go to yacht clubs and ask the coaches about kids. The only reason I'm sailing big boats is because of Snakes and Soggy's willingness to train me.

FLY

-BTW UVM is now ranked 15th....

you go catamounts!

Ok, now we're getting down to business. What is the single largest demographic that we could pull into sailboat racing that's not there and is likely to fit right in.. Card carrying members of AA. Second, which boats need more AA members. The doublehanders. They've got more room on their boats for additional crew than the rest of us. Yeh, they'll have to buy more booze...

I think the 3 best ways to increase participation is to increase the fun aspects, get more kids involved, and promote a crusier racer class under 25 feet.. I think we need to have more fun off the water that involves less focus on drinking (takes one to know one) and more togetherness/comraderie. I'm not creative enought to propose specifics but it is more fun that we need and some of that comes from getting to know each other better. I think if we all knew each other better, we'd build more friendships, leading to genral group comraderie and ultimately a bigger incentive to participate

Kids are missing from most boats. The booze is an impediment to kids and parents letting kids participate. Yacht clubs should make of their missions be to build members-in-waiting by promoting kids involvement in big boat racing, cruising and other kid-friendly but lifetime experiences. But how? How about instructors taking kids offshore on an overnight as part of their basic training. How about a two day regatta where all the boats are run by kids? This involves sacrifice on the part of owners and their regular crews.

Here in Tejas, I'm racing on a lake where Catalina 22s and Cal 25s are the predominant PHRF boat. They are cheap to buy and own, a family of 4 can overnight on them and they are tricked out enought to be fun and competitive to race against like-kind boats. We need a cheaper entry to the big boat racing scene.

I like this thought process but I'd like to try to nudge it in a slightly different direction.

Honestly and sincerely, how many of us are in it for the trophy? Yea, it's kinda cool to see your name engraved in something that is going to be hanging around at PYC for a while but is that really what gets us out there?

It's fun, that's why we do it.

Now we have to figure out two things. How to show more people how much fun it is (get people that don't race to try it) and make it more fun for those that are already doing it (get people that race a little to race more).

The challenge here is that there doesn't seem to be a way to do accomplish this in bulk. We had limited success with a couple of 'intro to racing' seminars that GMORA might be able to do on a more reguler basis WITH A LITTLE MORE HELP (hint, hint). If each and every one of us brought just one more boat to the line for one race we would increase our race days tremendously. There are probably more ideas in this group, lets hear them!

As for making it more fun, I might edit that to making it a better value. PYC puts on great events but I'm not sure I'll be signing up next year, there have to be people that are drawing the line sooner than I am. Another big challenge is breaking the 'elitist' stigma, we all should be bringing as many people into the fold as possible.

Lastly, I think the biggest thing we can all do to increase participation in our sport is for everyone to contact their state representatives and make soccer illegal in this state. Kids should be sailing.

No Question about it being fun to race!!!

here an idea, what about allowing boats to be sponsored? and advertising on the sails? that would help the cost of racing a boat.

no booze, kids driving.....doesn't really sound like a boost in sail boat racing, and depending on the boat and conditions not all that safe, the not drinking and kid part. (I guess I don't consider the sailors on Hanker'n to be kids). sounds like a dry cruise to disney.

we should approach clubs that have racing events within a given distance, GMORA members should make an effort to attend an event in good numbers and encourage the club to get boats together and come race with us for a regatta. Kitty recriuted me not so long ago to try and help him in a similar effort.

well dirt you have to realize that "kids" are on hankerin' and they sail that boat damn well

obviously no one (i hope) is advocating for little kids to be driving...at least i don't mean that. i know of at least five amazing helms that would like to sail big boats and don't have the opportunity. kitty has sailed with one and soggy has sailed with at least three

A dry cruise to disney? Only if you make it that. let some kids on your boat and have some fun.

Kids are one target but I don't think they are the silver bullet. Creating an environment/event that parents want to go to that they are comfortable bringing their kids to seems like a better approach to me. Bringing more kids into it won't get more boats on the line, they don't own boats. I acknowledge it might be a long term investment but we can do other things too.

Trying to assemble a GMORA contingency to attend someone else's regatta just takes that many boats off the GMORA line that weekend. My opinion (myopic as it is) is that we will not greatly increase our numbers by trying to encourage boats from other regions to attend our events. There are almost a thousand boats right in Casco Bay that seem much easier to target.

I like the Texan's idea about more gatherings off season. I always thought the 'intro to racing' seminar had much more potential and if anyone has attended (or hosted as I know some have) the talks that Points East puts on, often at West Marine, you know that there are boaters out there interested in just about anything to do with boating. But again, this type of thing takes manpower to arrange and this is the short term challenge.

How's this? Everyone that wins a trophy this year should do something to give back to GMORA. Remember, it's a volunteer organization!

well dirt you have to realize that "kids" are on hankerin' and they sail that boat damn well

obviously no one (i hope) is advocating for little kids to be driving...at least i don't mean that. i know of at least five amazing helms that would like to sail big boats and don't have the opportunity. kitty has sailed with one and soggy has sailed with at least three

A dry cruise to disney? Only if you make it that. let some kids on your boat and have some fun.

young sailors are different then kids -maybe people think 16 and 17 year olds are kids - I don't. bringing young people on board is different than handing the wheel to a 12 year old that just stepped up from an opti and seeing how things go. (The disney thing was a joke).

I started racing big boats when I was 13 so I realize the importance of exposing young people to sailing and it would be wrong to assume that I wouldn't want them on my boat if I owned one. What I disagree with is a sailing event centered around kids for the sake of exposing them. Maybe a fun little club event but not a GMORA event.

Young dedicated sailors should not have much trouble getting a ride if they are persistent, offer to help deliver boats, expose themselves to owners at post race events, write a letter to an owner in the off season etc. It takes some effort from young people to get on boats if they really want to sail. And the best way to get young sailors exposed to different positions and possiblely driving is distance racing - we should do more of it.

Kids are one target but I don't think they are the silver bullet. Creating an environment/event that parents want to go to that they are comfortable bringing their kids to seems like a better approach to me. Bringing more kids into it won't get more boats on the line, they don't own boats. I acknowledge it might be a long term investment but we can do other things too.

Trying to assemble a GMORA contingency to attend someone else's regatta just takes that many boats off the GMORA line that weekend. My opinion (myopic as it is) is that we will not greatly increase our numbers by trying to encourage boats from other regions to attend our events. There are almost a thousand boats right in Casco Bay that seem much easier to target.

I like the Texan's idea about more gatherings off season. I always thought the 'intro to racing' seminar had much more potential and if anyone has attended (or hosted as I know some have) the talks that Points East puts on, often at West Marine, you know that there are boaters out there interested in just about anything to do with boating. But again, this type of thing takes manpower to arrange and this is the short term challenge.

How's this? Everyone that wins a trophy this year should do something to give back to GMORA. Remember, it's a volunteer organization!

I'm not sure that I would bet the farm on the seminars on the ‘intro to racing’. When I lived over in Southport marine with a large sailboat community I was the token “Racer”. They were always trying to convert me from the dark side of racing to the cursing world. They were always trying to talk me into installing gates, davits and arches for wind generators and solar panels. And of course that too much weight for racing sailboat.

But going out to other groups like Portsmouth, Newburyport or Ma fleets and entering some of their races may encourage them coming to some of ours. Plus you have all that fun of racing against other boats that you’ve never raced against before.

Just a few thoughts.

I'm not sure that I would bet the farm on the seminars on the ‘intro to racing’. When I lived over in Southport marine with a large sailboat community I was the token “Racer”. They were always trying to convert me from the dark side of racing to the cursing world. They were always trying to talk me into installing gates, davits and arches for wind generators and solar panels. And of course that too much weight for racing sailboat.

But going out to other groups like Portsmouth, Newburyport or Ma fleets and entering some of their races may encourage them coming to some of ours. Plus you have all that fun of racing against other boats that you’ve never raced against before.

Just a few thoughts.

Keep in mind, this is not confrontational. This is a great exchange that I hope will continue to be productive.

The one 'Intro to Racing' I attended landed at least two racers that I know of that are still racing.

I don't think racing out of our area will improve your previous numbers (percentage of GOM boats that participate in enough races to qualify for a trophy) much. It might bring in one or two boats for one or two races but it won't increase our "boat days" (the sum of the number of boats in each race for the entire season) by much at all. In fact we'd do well to break even from the days our boats don't race here.

Now having said this, you're right aout it being fun to race different races against different boats. But there's still plenty of that right here in GOM. Can we go to Northeast Harbor to entice them to come West?

Ok, now we're getting down to business. What is the single largest demographic that we could pull into sailboat racing that's not there and is likely to fit right in.. Card carrying members of AA. Second, which boats need more AA members. The doublehanders. They've got more room on their boats for additional crew than the rest of us. Yeh, they'll have to buy more booze...

Not a problem, we got in on those $12 Mt Gay half gallons. Just cracked a fresh case this weekend.

Keep in mind, this is not confrontational. This is a great exchange that I hope will continue to be productive.

The one 'Intro to Racing' I attended landed at least two racers that I know of that are still racing.

I don't think racing out of our area will improve your previous numbers (percentage of GOM boats that participate in enough races to qualify for a trophy) much. It might bring in one or two boats for one or two races but it won't increase our "boat days" (the sum of the number of boats in each race for the entire season) by much at all. In fact we'd do well to break even from the days our boats don't race here.

Now having said this, you're right aout it being fun to race different races against different boats. But there's still plenty of that right here in GOM. Can we go to Northeast Harbor to entice them to come West?

How come Clubs like Biddeford Pool and Arundel aren't part of GOM?

GMORA has a hard enough time getting the YCs to give out the Spencer award. It's like pulling teeth to get them to take the time to keep track of the qualifying boats and their respective performance. Can't imagine what it would be like if we added more awards into the mix!

BUT... any of the above could be good for what we call the "silly" season-end awards.

As stick said, the trophies are not the "why" we race, we race for "fun." But to paraphrase one of my crew, "winning is fun!"

Clearly cruisers -- the ones we're presumably trying to attract to increase our numbers (and I am one of them) -- are not likely to be competitive sailing with their old rags for sails, layer upon layer of ablative bottom paint, and the full complement of spare parts and creature comforts that cruisers keep onboard. They are not going to win, and they know it, so why bother? What makes it fun?

If we want them to come out racing with us, why not offer them some opportunities where they might actually stand a chance of "winning" or at least receiving some kind of recognition? (And I am definitely not suggesting fiddling with the handicap system to account for old rags, cruiser bottoms, or spare parts inventories!)

If the yacht clubs and others who are involved can't be bothered, then "they" (meaning us) probably shouldn't be complaining about a decline in participation.

Oh, and please don't call them "silly" awards -- what I proposed were performance-based awards that have meaning, at least to those who might compete for them.

Just some thoughts from a newbie outsider...

Oh, and please don't call them "silly" awards -- what I proposed were performance-based awards that have meaning, at least to those who might compete for them.

Just some thoughts from a newbie outsider...

Actually, I think they're called "fun awards," some are based on competition, some are not. In the past, we've had stuff like "Most Improved" "Sportsmanship" and "Best Dressed." Really would like to keep it fun and provide an opportunity for those who aren't getting trophies every week to take something home. Just trying to up the fun factor. But those are GMORA awards; what individual clubs do for their own regattas is up to them.

BTW, you'd be surprised at the amount of spares and other stuff on our boat! She is by no means stripped down. And boats can get a rec credit for roller furling and limited, non-exotic sail inventory.

Well here is my 2 cents:

1." How about GMORA sponsors an IRC measurer to come up and measure a bunch of boats? There's one in NH with a portable scale who's probably already measured all the MHead and points south boats who want to do IRC. No idea if that'd help GMORA participation."

Good thought but the cost of measurement is a concern and most of the IMS boats that have recently come to live in Maine and race PHRF are here because they rate extremely poorly under the IRC measurement.

2. "Increase participation"

How about a couple more non-spinnaker cruising regattas such as feeder races. aka. Casco Bay to Boothbay. Inter club cruising challenges w/out spinnaker aka: CYC vs Centerboard for an annual perpetual trophy

3. "Youth involvement"

As a sailing coach this fall at Sail Maine, I can say that there are some very talented and mature teen aged sailors who would love to move up from dinghy to big boat sailing. We have to use this resource in order to assure a growth in Maine sailing.

4. "Ratings Spread."

I think everyone has heard this one: Now is the time to split class A. :P

Any yacht club in the GMORA area can organize a race and ask to have it included in the GMORA schedule. If there is a way it can be accomodated it will be. HB Midsummer as an example, it didn't exist five years ago. MH (with extensive assistance of his staff) said here is the format and the weekend and I'd like you to consider it for the GMORA schedule and GMORA recognition. Done.

If those clubs would like to sponsor an event it's up to them. I suspect if someone from the club would like to be added as a GMORA Director representing the club it would be no problem either.

"As a sailing coach this fall at Sail Maine, I can say that there are some very talented and mature teen aged sailors who would love to move up from dinghy to big boat sailing. We have to use this resource in order to assure a growth in Maine sailing." - Maxluff

Hear hear!!

The following is a list of PHRF competitors that I know who started racing big boats before the age of 15 in Maine (I'm surely missing many but my memory is fading away...) and are still out there racing:

Jim Marchant

Geoff Emanuel

Bob Kellogg

Max Fletcher

Jane Wellahan

Jon Hussey

Tim Hussey

Tom Hussey

Randy Rice

Jay Hallett

Richard Hallett

Win Fowler

Many of these people are integral contributors to the sport and marine industry. They got hooked at an early age and they remain passionately committed to the sport.

Now, I'd like you all to make a list of the people you know under the age of 15 that are currently racing big boats.

Those little clubs are a lot different than places like Portland YC. They tend to be more insular and, specific to sailing, more interested in cruising than racing. you tend to get clubs up here who just "want to do their own thing" and aren't really interested in anything outside of their bay or harbor unless it's leisurely cruising. i mean with our coast who can blame them. I think any community of sailboat racers, in maine or anywhwre, is going to be just that...a community, somewhat separate from crusing sailors and from those that ski or play tennis or whatever. It's like our own club, and fortunately or unfortunately, I think it will always more or less remain so, and I also think it's mroe or less a waste of time to try and get clubs like Arundel more involved with GMORA. Ain't going to happen.

So for me it's about getting more people, whomever they are, into our little club. Personally I feel like one design stuff, well into the winter, is a good thing for everyone to try and do, and to me that screams "community sailing", which at the moment screams "sailmaine" as they're the only real community program in the Portland area. IEither SailMaine or Handy Boat needs to get a crane big enough for a 6-8K boat pronto so dry sailing can happen, meaning Ynglings, Etchells, J24's, etc can be drysailed economically, which makes things like frostbiting more possible, and makes it possible for someone like me to own a yngling or anything that size and dry sail it somewhere without going into serious debt.

No idea what that has to do with GMORA specifically as one design doesnt specifically support the offshore races but frankly I think the real offshore stuff is dying at least on a local level, and as we're really talking about how to grow sailboat racing in Maine, perhaps if more GMORA members got involved with things like Yngling frostboting at SailMaine etc it might push the ball ahead a little faster.

how awesome would it be to have stuff like an IC fleet sailing well into december? it's definately possible, december is a better sailing month here than March or April frankly. Stuff like that I think is the foundation of any decent sailing community.

The following is a list of PHRF competitors that I know who started racing big boats before the age of 15 in Maine (I'm surely missing many but my memory is fading away...) and are still out there racing:

List...

That was back when sailing toward the wind was an abomination unto the Lord, right?

Seriously, we had a few underage racers on board the end of this season... If we can do it (and still be allowed within 400 feet of minors), anyone can. And should!

G

"As a sailing coach this fall at Sail Maine, I can say that there are some very talented and mature teen aged sailors who would love to move up from dinghy to big boat sailing. We have to use this resource in order to assure a growth in Maine sailing." - Maxluff

Hear hear!!

Jim Marchant

Geoff Emanuel

Bob Kellogg

Max Fletcher

Jane Wellahan

Jon Hussey

Tim Hussey

Tom Hussey

Randy Rice

Jay Hallett

Richard Hallett

Win Fowler

Many of these people are integral contributors to the sport and marine industry. They got hooked at an early age and they remain passionately committed to the sport.

Now, I'd like you all to make a list of the people you know under the age of 15 that are currently racing big boats.

man just check the PYC jr sailing alumni page, its impressive: http://www.portlandyachtclub.com/alumni.htm

to think I was one of those little shits once upon a time... by the time I was 17 I'd done 2 J35 NA's and had won a Dirigo Bowl.

That was back when sailing toward the wind was an abomination unto the Lord, right?

Seriously, we had a few underage racers on board the end of this season... If we can do it (and still be allowed within 400 feet of minors), anyone can. And should!

G

Yep, it was also when men were men and sheep were nervous!!

Ok, done for the day, so here's $0.02 from a non-boat owner and probably a fresh face (<4 years) on the scene.

What I see is an aging and sometimes vanishing (J105) fleet, both PHRF and OD. As the skippers, as someone pointed out that grew up sailing, are aging and are more involved in their families, soccer etc. To compound this the younger aged folks (Post college to ~40) aren't exactly taking up the mantle and buying boats at least not race boats. Not everyone is selling their J24 to buy a Beneteau, and some of the one design boats are sold out of the fleets altogether. What can you do about this, other than ban all soccer matches from being played on Saturdays, I don't know. I do know, if/when I plan to buy a boat I am probably looking OD. It is really disheartening to kick ass only to have the wind die, cross the line 2nd and get beat on corrected time, because you owe another boat approximately a minute a mile. Look at the Harraseeket, big boats pretty much all finished near each other. I digress.

As far as younger folks: "Get Involved". What a great crew pool opportunity. The oportunities are there! If they aren't bugging several people about racing then they don't want to race. I know there is a whole parental thing. I have been contacted 1-2 days/night before some Tues/Wed/Weekend races because of lack of people available. That's what happens f'ing life gets in the way. There is a crew match party at the beginning of every year put on by Points East, show your face even if you don't get a full time ride. There is a Fleet blog/post for the Etchells and J24 fleets. I know it's no Bandito or Big Dog Party but still a great opportunity, for anyone actually. Actually the J24 Fleet is the very friendly and they have food afterwards so you get to mingle/network. Jeff Smith (J24) double handed the Lightship and had only three on board during the last Fall series regatta when it blew like stink. As I recall Cat's Paw had only 2, which if memory serves me I haven't seen many more than that this past year. Get these shorthanded boats on the line.

As far a helming. What boat owner isn't helming his boat. Honestly that is the most attractive part about buying a boat, especially if you're racing. You determine your own fate.

I really don't know much about SailMaine, or is it Sail Maine. Anyway, they seem, to me, to cater more to high school and college sailors. I think they should try to hit the adult, 20-30 something, market segment that is most likely to have disposable income to buy boats or would be more likely to get involved with racing. Maybe offer something like working up to a charter cert? That may be more than they can handle at the moment. If I wasn't around sailing I wouldn't know the name Sail Maine. I find it weird that Maine has this long sailing tradition but seems to lag in the overall sailing category. I'm not sure how to explain it.

It seems the question immediately is how to get more boat with certs to the line consistently. Maybe ask them what the hurdle is. Do you have e-mails/phone numbers/mailing addresses.

I think what would be really wild is to do like a J-World style seminar maybe one -5 days even weekends or something at the beginnig and end of season. This is where maybe Sail Maine might fit in. Say get some people who might be intimidated about racing come to hone/develop a skill like starting and do it in Ynglings.

Or maybe a famous guest speaker. I recall from another thread that Mt. Gay I believe has a speaker series?

Again these are just observations and maybe some helpful ideas. As I am not going back and editing this I am sure I could expand on some topics or say things better. If I was writing this for work this is where I would leave it and come back in a little while to edit with a fresh outlook. If I've offended anyone, tough shit, get over yourself. :lol: It is after all my $0.02 so feel free to ignore it.

One last thing maybe as it is ocean racing could there be more racing outside. It's like follow the leader through the Hussey. Honestly a big boat OD fleet would be excellent. Now that I may chunk down some money for. Maybe a meeting of boat owners and a hypnotist. Would that solve it. :) Sorry if this doesn't help.

Nothing like a big glass of the "Lewiston leg spreader" on a sunday night

LMAO Jerk!

PS The OptiKid handled the 25-30 kts yesterday and didn't want to put the boat away at the end of the Brian Bissell clinic, wanted to go back out and "surf around daddy, come on!"... he's going to be impossible to live with now.

Hear hear!!

Jim Marchant

Geoff Emanuel

Bob Kellogg

Max Fletcher

Jane Wellahan

Jon Hussey

Tim Hussey

Tom Hussey

Randy Rice

Jay Hallett

Richard Hallett

Win Fowler

I started on revo2 when I was 14, Im 16 now, and hopefully raceing my own boat next year

I guess we need some more kids like me...

I went sailing on North Star yesterday.

We went out the Hussy and in the Shiping Channel on the way

to the winter berth.

North Star is very snuggley tied up to the dock at Chandler's Wharf.

So convenient, just step on and off.

And guess what?

It's only steps from Dimillo's and Jay's and just down the street

from Ri Ra's and Gritty's.

I'm just hoping that there might be a few more excursions

on some of those sunny fall weekend days.

Maybe Kitty will come as a special adviser.

What did you get?

I got an Islander Excalibur 26. Its and old design, 60s or 70s, but it was way ahead of its time. Fin keel, balanced rudder, flatish midsection. People claim they are good in light air. Rates low 200's. If all things go as planed... ill be raceing it next summer.

ACFED8C.JPG

This ones not mine...and it says Excalibur 27...idk...same boat though

I went sailing on North Star yesterday.

We went out the Hussy and in the Shiping Channel on the way

to the winter berth.

North Star is very snuggley tied up to the dock at Chandler's Wharf.

So convenient, just step on and off.

And guess what?

It's only steps from Dimillo's and Jay's and just down the street

from Ri Ra's and Gritty's.

I'm just hoping that there might be a few more excursions

on some of those sunny fall weekend days.

Maybe Kitty will come as a special adviser.

Maybe we can have a few sunday afternoon races this fall and winter? What does North Star rate? Soulmate sails all year and is docked at DiMillo's.