Gulf of maine scuttlebut

They are still recovering from the GMORA dinner. The Tamarack/Custom Coach ride was sweet. How was your ride? I've heard, though, that there were only 10 owner/skippers there. I had more crew there that. Do we need to re-think the program? TH

Yep, I'm thinking that with everyone hanging out in the limos, maybe we should just have a drive-up window to pick up the trophies.

We just have to figure out how to fit in that pesky annual meeting of the organization.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

They are still recovering from the GMORA dinner. The Tamarack/Custom Coach ride was sweet. How was your ride? I've heard, though, that there were only 10 owner/skippers there. I had more crew there that. Do we need to re-think the program? TH

Thanks for the dinner tree hugger, It took me 2 days to recover from that ride. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!!! Remember what happened on the coach stays on the coach. (I should have had stock in Tylenol)

Took Kitty for a Ride in Texas last weekend. We raced my ride in the Harvest Moon Regatta from Galveston to Port Aransas, TX (150 miles) Race date is different every year t0 match up with full moon. Had a great ride. Could read a book on deck at 2 am by the light of the Moon. 265 boats. My ride proudly flew their SA ensign before the start.

Kitty was in fine form as always and quickly endeared himself to the Texans. Last I saw him he was demounting the plane in Houston headed for a 6 hour layover at the Cockpit Lounge and Bar. Any sitings up there?

We're planning a Texas Invasion to Maine sometime the next two years. Be on the lookout

Hey guys, keep an eye out for 'Cane Noel, we were lucky here in SoFL that she pulled a hard right at the Bahamas and left us alone... but she's now coming your way fast with a target on NS. Watch the wobbles and be safe... and Kitty, get those boats out of the water!

hey, justagirl

post-10192-1194111698_thumb.jpg

I trust you found that hole you were looking for.

I found a nice hole but not the time to move to it. But as Luck has it I was able to get a slip on the west side of the winter which is better protected from storms and a big curse ship on the the Maine State peir. So as long as the wind stays north of east Soulmate and I shoud be safe and sound in the wind shadows of curse ships and the resturant here at DiMillo's. Wind at the top only read 12 to 17 knots here and 27 to 33 out at the bouy 12 miles se of Portland. so it's coming.

PS the gel coat damage from last april finally was finished on Nov 1!!

justagirl- sounds like fun, I will be out of the country for a few weeks, if winter hasn't set in when I get back I might take you up on that. thank you.

peeker- a will give you a hint- stagga, stagga, crawl, crawl, get shot, fall down, stagga, stagga

justagirl- sounds like fun, I will be out of the country for a few weeks, if winter hasn't set in when I get back I might take you up on that. thank you.

Don't let the thought of winter hold you back we still have some beautiful days on the water in December, January and february days and full moons.

peeker- a will give you a hint- stagga, stagga, crawl, crawl, get shot, fall down, stagga, stagga

yea, I have no idea what that means dirtdog. Going anywhere fun on your few weeks out of the country? Let the rest of us live vicariously thru you. The most exciting place I've been this fall is Exeter NH.

yea, I have no idea what that means dirtdog. Going anywhere fun on your few weeks out of the country? Let the rest of us live vicariously thru you. The most exciting place I've been this fall is Exeter NH.

England, Germany, Netherlands....mostly work, although I am going to make a point to hit The Rising Sun (a pub) and try to bum a ride and go for a sail in the Solent (Southern England).

since everyone seems to have gone into hibernation Fly has an update to brighten all your sailing souls

catamounts still have one week left of practice, we finished up the regatta season this past weekend in Rhode Island with the freshman champs. We finished a disappointing sixth place due to the damn hurricane that decided to take one of our race days away. The sailing on Champlain is absolutely beautiful in October. We were blessed with warm weather and good wind and some of the most spectacular sunsets one can imagine.

Is there any frostbiting happening during T-day week? I would love to get out for a little sail

Only a couple more weeks until ski season starts up! Sugarbush is blowing snow and Killington almost has one trail...

For your viewing pleasures858930284_1544362_6072.jpg

n858930284_1544363_6453.jpg

Peace, love, and all that other hippie crap, ;)

FLY

since everyone seems to have gone into hibernation Fly has an update to brighten all your sailing souls

catamounts still have one week left of practice, we finished up the regatta season this past weekend in Rhode Island with the freshman champs. We finished a disappointing sixth place due to the damn hurricane that decided to take one of our race days away. The sailing on Champlain is absolutely beautiful in October. We were blessed with warm weather and good wind and some of the most spectacular sunsets one can imagine.

Is there any frostbiting happening during T-day week? I would love to get out for a little sail

Only a couple more weeks until ski season starts up! Sugarbush is blowing snow and Killington almost has one trail...

For your viewing pleasures858930284_1544362_6072.jpg

n858930284_1544363_6453.jpg

Peace, love, and all that other hippie crap, ;)

FLY

Sailmaine boats are still sailing out of PYS normally thur Mid-December.. But they look a little cold and wet last weekend. If you need a sailing fix let me know.

Happy sailing all seasons!!!

Yesterday I received an e-mail from Ted from the beneteau telling of a fund raiser on tuesday night for SailMaine. It will be at flatbreads down in the Old Port from 5 - 9. A portion of all profits from the evening will go to support the SailMaine program. The food is good, and the company should be also. Hey you're going to eat dinnner anyway, why not support a good cause.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from Ted from the beneteau telling of a fund raiser on tuesday night for SailMaine. It will be at flatbreads down in the Old Port from 5 - 9. A portion of all profits from the evening will go to support the SailMaine program. The food is good, and the company should be also. Hey you're going to eat dinnner anyway, why not support a good cause.

Maybe make the first part but the Fall GMORA Planning meeting is the same day at PYC starting at 6:30. All members welcome and should be there if they have thoughts on class breaks.

Maybe make the first part but the Fall GMORA Planning meeting is the same day at PYC starting at 6:30. All members welcome and should be there if they have thoughts on class breaks.

I just heard the new break was going to be at 45 for the new A+ class.

having spent a fair amount of time this fall at sailmaine, it definitely is a great cause.... cool for flatbread for stepping up and having a fundraiser night!

/c

having spent a fair amount of time this fall at sailmaine, it definitely is a great cause.... cool for flatbread for stepping up and having a fundraiser night!

/c

Yup, Flatbread is a great community member on this type of thing. Good to support both.

I hope people will help support Sail Maine as it is really the largest sailing program in Maine that is building a base of talented young sailors.

They will prove to be the future of Sailing in Maine.

http://sailmaine.wowpages.com/pages/Get_In...ed/gi-grow.html

Hmmm, Second Tuesday of the month. That should be an MS Regatta committee meeting a well. I haven't heard anything though.

Yes, I'm disappointed about that also. I'm not sure that GMORA was expected to have a promotional role on this side. Hello, are you guys talking?

I was asked last month to come to this upcoming meeting and that Yarmouth Cup was the top priority on the agenda. So we will see next week where it stands.

Yes!! But I think several items are already decided like Class A broken into 2 at 45 and the reference to charity regattas is more than likely the new race Papa S was talking about over Labor day.

Is class A split at 45? Is that confirmed?

Where is everyone? Someone cut the Broadband line in Maine???

Michigan is great, I'm on the sailing team which is incredibly fun. We placed 4th at the Northwestern regatta last weekend and are in the last week of sailing season.

-K2

Class Breaking News.....A up to 51, B 52 - 89, C 90 - 135, D 136 and up......good thing a few skippers showed up at the GMORA meeting tonight where the hell were the rest of you???

let it be written, let it be done...

So who is the slowest boat in A now? Revo 2 @ 48?

Yes and Family Wagon if his rating stays at 48..We are scratch boat in B at 54...

Keeping in mind, of course, that these recommendations will be communicated to the membership and comments encouraged. The actual vote to adopt these breaks will happen at the next board meeting.

Keeping in mind, of course, that these recommendations will be communicated to the membership and comments encouraged. The actual vote to adopt these breaks will happen at the next board meeting.

Will it be a Board vote or ratification of the membership? Do the by-laws address this?

Yes there are. Come down to the yard and I will tell you about my experience as chair of the nominating committee. I discoverd that there are term limits on the board.

Term limits!??!!?!

Come on, don't hold back, give me some good news!

oh, great.

one: are lobsters really crustaceans, or just 'bugs of the sea?'. what is gmora not telling us?!?!

two: i noticed that today is foggy and rainy. can't gmora do something about this?!?

three: if a gmora member gets on a train in chicago heading east.... oh, nevermind...

four: how about 'gmora standard time'? i propose 23 minutes less than eastern standard time, unless we are in daylight savings time when it would (obviously) go to 47 minutes behind.

five: speaking of time, i really thing gmora should consider more hours in the day. gmora hours would have to be a little shorter to fit in to the 'commonly accepted' 24 hour period. i propose the new gmora hour should be 14.4 minutes long. then we could have 100 hours in a day! productivity skyrockets!

six: let's make all classes class A. so, the new breaks would be; A up to 51, A 52-89, A 90-135 and A 136 and up.

there.

/c

It's just wrong that two boats of such similar characteristics, handicapped only six seconds apart, would wind up in different classes. I suspect, though, that the Wagon will not stay at 48.

...Christmas is coming

oh, great.

one: are lobsters really crustaceans, or just 'bugs of the sea?'. what is gmora not telling us?!?!

two: i noticed that today is foggy and rainy. can't gmora do something about this?!?

three: if a gmora member gets on a train in chicago heading east.... oh, nevermind...

four: how about 'gmora standard time'? i propose 23 minutes less than eastern standard time, unless we are in daylight savings time when it would (obviously) go to 47 minutes behind.

five: speaking of time, i really thing gmora should consider more hours in the day. gmora hours would have to be a little shorter to fit in to the 'commonly accepted' 24 hour period. i propose the new gmora hour should be 14.4 minutes long. then we could have 100 hours in a day! productivity skyrockets!

six: let's make all classes class A. so, the new breaks would be; A up to 51, A 52-89, A 90-135 and A 136 and up.

there.

/c

Nah... Just go to metric time... Link.

G

I just posted something in the GMORA forum that I hope some of the GMORA folks might read... Didn't seem appropriate to post it here, but since the last post in the GMORA forum was in June, I at least thought I'd mention it.

G

oh! post it here too! I can not get into it since I changed e-mails!!!

oh, great.

there.

/c

Ah, Finally all my last three years of butchin' about the class breaks can finally end.

Although, I am confused about what to call the 'bugs of the sea'. Will GMORA solve this conundrum ?

post-5090-1195223552_thumb.jpg

Ah, Finally all my last three years of butchin' about the class breaks can finally end.

Although, I am confused about what to call the 'bugs of the sea'. Will GMORA solve this conundrum ?

post-5090-1195223552_thumb.jpg

IF you guys sell your boat....what class will you be in with the new one?

IF you guys sell your boat....what class will you be in with the new one?

As it began: post Oct 18 2005, 04:49 PM

Post #1

Anarchist

Group: Members

Member No.: 425

"I hear Big Daddy Doyle is going to emerge with a 6 rater..."

I do not know what he is going to do ; but I plan to be sailing on one of these:

post-5090-1195260267_thumb.jpg

A very Happy Thanksgiving day to you! Safe travels to all of you who will be on the road, and enjoy the day with your friends and family.

And the same to you Peeker!

I just had a two pound lobster at the F'mouth See Girl courtesy of my Grandmother, in town for the turkey-death holiday. As I looked out over the dark, wrapped up boats, I thought to myself, "Self, did we really need new class breaks? Really?"

G

ps - Bring back the old class breaks!!!

pps - hahahahaha...

I just had a two pound lobster at the F'mouth See Girl courtesy of my Grandmother, in town for the turkey-death holiday. As I looked out over the dark, wrapped up boats, I thought to myself, "Self, did we really need new class breaks? Really?"

G

ps - Bring back the old class breaks!!!

pps - hahahahaha...

I want to sail in Class G

Hi everyone, next saturday, December 8th I would like to have a little christmas get together at my house. Starting around 7:00 or so, bring something to share with the group. If you would like to come, send me a personal message, and I will give you directions. We've had a good time the last couple years we've done this, and how can any party go bad that involves rum and mistletoe??

Hi everyone, next saturday, December 8th I would like to have a little christmas get together at my house. Starting around 7:00 or so, bring something to share with the group. If you would like to come, send me a personal message, and I will give you directions. We've had a good time the last couple years we've done this, and how can any party go bad that involves rum and mistletoe??

You're kidding right? I can see it now, a Mt. Gay bottle stuffed with mistletoe hanging from a door jamb!

Just FYI, circumnavigators and high-latitude cruisers Dave and Jaja Martin will be doing a book signing at LL Bean on Sunday December 23 from about 10 to 4. I found their book "Into the Light" to be a great read.

You're kidding right? I can see it now, a Mt. Gay bottle stuffed with mistletoe hanging from a door jamb!

Peeker had a great party.

Not only Mt Gay Rum,

but, hot buttered rum, too.

Yum, Yum.

I didn't know that Treehugger was such a chef

More yum

And, I stood under the mistletoe

That was yummy, too.

• 2 weeks later...

There has always been a motivation from the people that post on this thread to get young sailors out on the water racing on boats in our fleet. On this cold Jan. evening I thought I would offer my unsolicited advice to the young sailors who may post or lurk here.

The best advice is to get yourself out there. Now is the best time of year to get yourself and your friends out onto some boats. Crews for next year are a big question mark right now for a lot of owners. Talk to who you know or pm someone one who posts a lot on this thread and ask who owns a boat you think you may want to sail on. Find an address, email or pm and send a quick note. Try to offer a commitment for 3 races that are in sequence on the GMORA schedule, offer to do a delivery, let them know you have a friend who may be able to make it. Offer a very brief blip on your experience and what you may be good at on the boat.

The results will surprise you.

Crews for next year are a big question mark right now for a lot of owners.

Hey, I am one of those owners for whom crew is a big question mark...

The boat is just an old IOR-era racer/cruiser that will be based in Boothbay Harbor. With an appropriate crew I might consider racing some Spinnaker (Class C) instead of Cruising Canvas...

There will likely be some opportunities to sail on overnight offshore deliveries as well.

Send me a PM if you have any interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad News-

MADDIE’S – END OF AN ERA

After 50 plus years of operation, the current owners of Maddie's in Marblehead, MA will be closing the doors as of last call on Friday night, January 18th. Maddie's, also known as the Sail Loft (although never called that), could be counted on for it's good cheer, convivial company and generous cocktails, and has been "home port" for sailors, both locals and visitors alike. Maddie's was the gathering place for regattas, storms and any other celebration... or no celebration at all. It was just Maddie's, a place where you knew you'd find a friendly face, a cold drink, and plenty entertainment. -- http://maddiessailloft.com

This should improve BDP's performance at the PHRFs.

Sad News-

MADDIE’S – END OF AN ERA

After 50 plus years of operation, the current owners of Maddie's in Marblehead, MA will be closing the doors as of last call on Friday night, January 18th. Maddie's, also known as the Sail Loft (although never called that), could be counted on for it's good cheer, convivial company and generous cocktails, and has been "home port" for sailors, both locals and visitors alike. Maddie's was the gathering place for regattas, storms and any other celebration... or no celebration at all. It was just Maddie's, a place where you knew you'd find a friendly face, a cold drink, and plenty entertainment. -- http://maddiessailloft.com

This is one the saddest things that I have ever heard.

Maddie's served had the strongest pint glass Mount Gay Rum pours in the universe!

Where to drink in Marblehead?

All should hoist a glass!

Sad News-

MADDIE’S – END OF AN ERA

Here is the story...

Bummer...

http://www.wickedlocal.com/marblehead/news...ess/x1151547991

This is one the saddest things that I have ever heard.

Maddie's served had the strongest pint glass Mount Gay Rum pours in the universe!

Where to drink in Marblehead?

All should hoist a glass!

Most of the staff had already moved to the Three Cod. You will recognize the pint sized cocktails.

But its a sad sad day. And there's only one way to commiserate........heading down to Maddies. There will be a lot of hangovers tomorrow morning.

Most of the staff had already moved to the Three Cod. You will recognize the pint sized cocktails.

But its a sad sad day. And there's only one way to commiserate........heading down to Maddies. There will be a lot of hangovers tomorrow morning.

Where is the Three Cod?

There has always been a motivation from the people that post on this thread to get young sailors out on the water racing on boats in our fleet. On this cold Jan. evening I thought I would offer my unsolicited advice to the young sailors who may post or lurk here.

The best advice is to get yourself out there. Now is the best time of year to get yourself and your friends out onto some boats. Crews for next year are a big question mark right now for a lot of owners. Talk to who you know or pm someone one who posts a lot on this thread and ask who owns a boat you think you may want to sail on. Find an address, email or pm and send a quick note. Try to offer a commitment for 3 races that are in sequence on the GMORA schedule, offer to do a delivery, let them know you have a friend who may be able to make it. Offer a very brief blip on your experience and what you may be good at on the boat.

The results will surprise you.

And... all you big boat owners, you may find that undiscovered hotshot Laser or even Opti sailor is a faster driver than you are! Cheap speed :) PS Kitty, Ian's contract for the 2008 GMORA campaign is in the mail for you to review :)