Gulf of maine scuttlebut

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

2008 Rusty Spanner Invitational -

Maine Indoor Karting

Two rounds of qualifiers followed by 40 lap main.

Date to be determined once we see who wants to race - cost ~$60per

Division 1 - up to 44

Division 2 - 45 to 93

Division 3 - 94 to 141

Division 4 - 142 and up

?

G

I am suprised that it took this long to bring up this topic. Enquiring minds wanna know?

Has anyone seen the news posted at regattapromotions.com

Are we going to have access to the water in Falmouth this year?

Will this effect the Yarmouth Cup? etc..

Thoughts?

I am suprised that it took this long to bring up this topic. Enquiring minds wanna know?

The YC situation will obviously get better and more friendly (it couldn't be much worse then it was)...HBS will always have access available, but maybe no tenants beyond the restaurant ...the words "First Class Marina" are being thrown about which should be good news...

So the GMORA website lists the agenda from a board meeting two months ago. Presumably the meeting happened and decisions were made (like the division breaks mentioned above). Will the website get updated anytime soon? I'ld like to know what the regatta schedule is, since it seems from the regattapromotions site that the BHYC regatta is set for a week later than what I had been anticipating....

So the GMORA website lists the agenda from a board meeting two months ago. Presumably the meeting happened and decisions were made (like the division breaks mentioned above). Will the website get updated anytime soon? I'ld like to know what the regatta schedule is, since it seems from the regattapromotions site that the BHYC regatta is set for a week later than what I had been anticipating....

Schedule is exact same dates as last year....because there is 29 days in February this year

Okay, the regatta schedule is up on the GMORA site. I was hoping to get final answers on a couple of the race dates, but what is posted should be enough for people to start working on getting crews, family blessings, and what not.

The new class breaks have also been posted on the front page, but I'm still waiting for the final language for the Scoring/Trophy/Cnditions of Eligibility page, so that page still old news. IOW, go with the division breaks on the home page.

It would be news to me if it sold Jerk... Not that I'm the most in the loop.

G

My previous post was based was on the fact that I've seen it listed several places, including this site. I hope they don't sell it, I think its competitive boat especially uphill in breeze.

My previous post was based was on the fact that I've seen it listed several places, including this site. I hope they don't sell it, I think its competitive boat especially uphill in breeze.

I think if it had a symetrical kite that had some size to it it would help too. That Asym they have looks like it belongs on Ian's Opti.

We might bring our masthead J/29 up for Boothbay Regatta, what does class C look like?

We rate 114.

Definitely "racing" Monhegan again - too much fun!

Boothbay (as you may already know) is traditionally well attended perhaps in spite of GMORA instead of because of it, which is a roundabout way of saying I don't know what class C will look like but at Boothbay anyway the odds are it will look pretty good as that regatta is always one of the best attended on the schedule. It's the best party of the season and a well sailed masthead J29 would do very well here. Hope you come up.

Laughing at "Monhegan" and "fun" being in the same sentence but perhaps i'm jaded from having done so many drifter versions of that #$%! race.

Boothbay (as you may already know) is traditionally well attended perhaps in spite of GMORA instead of because of it, which is a roundabout way of saying I don't know what class C will look like but at Boothbay anyway the odds are it will look pretty good as that regatta is always one of the best attended on the schedule. It's the best party of the season and a well sailed masthead J29 would do very well here. Hope you come up.

Laughing at "Monhegan" and "fun" being in the same sentence but perhaps i'm jaded from having done so many drifter versions of that #$%! race.

What might it look like for your PHRF Maine Champs? Is that a well attended event? I am really pushing to sail up there in July - it is good for the soul.

What might it look like for your PHRF Maine Champs? Is that a well attended event? I am really pushing to sail up there in July - it is good for the soul.

PHRF Maine is a great event - well attended. more importantly...a good party.

probably a 7-9 boat class C for '08. (assuming the new class spread)

Thanks Kitty - I will push to get it into the schedule and will PM you if I need some help. I appreciate it.

Are the PHRF's run out of the club in Falmouth - the same one that does Monhegan?

Yep, www.portlandyachtclub.com. Not sure how much regatta info they have up yet, that place is in a bit of transition at the moment.

Yep, www.portlandyachtclub.com. Not sure how much regatta info they have up yet, that place is in a bit of transition at the moment.

just a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit of transition :)

When are we go-karting?????

Oh Do tell, Jerk... this should be good

What is going on there?

"Transition" won't have any negative effect on PYC racing and may end up as a net positive. Race web page is in the process of being updated for 2008. Look for registration to be available sometime in March.

Stealy-

That's the event you want to do- very fun.

PM me if you want some help with logistics.

I talked to the owner and we look like a go for Boothbay and a possible for Portland.

Can someone give me an idea of the boats (type and competitiveness) we might race against in Portland?

Need to make a case.

If we do Portland, I will get to sail the boat up with my kids over 4th of July and that would make Stealy very happy. :-))

Yikes!

Sounds like we have our own Reid Stowe.

Ten people plus a boat around the world for $20K.

Seems like a way to loose your money and your life.

yeah. i liked the 'spring 2008' departure as well. perhaps summer is a tad optimistic as well. :lol::lol: seeing how there is no boat, no money, no crew.

um.

/c

Yikes!

Sounds like we have our own Reid Stowe.

Ten people plus a boat around the world for $20K.

Seems like a way to loose your money and your life.

[/q

ok...20K (and that was the very high end of finances) for a boat (big enough for 10 comfortably) and food and supplies for an around the world trip??? Not to mention a week of training so they can get to know each other better...Move over Bill Dunlap, you're going to have company!

So.... where the hell did this come from??? That's a big scary race:

http://stoningtontoboothbayharbor.com/race__nor

The Corinthians approached BHYC about a landing spot for their "race" to Maine. A bunch of the Corinthian members have been coming to Maine for a while and wanted an excuse to encourage their friends to join them. As with the BHYC regatta there won't be many or any BHYC boats participating in the race and I don't think they have even approached GMORA about promotion. Hopefully, we will get a few more boats up here willing to participate in other racing such as the Monhegan, etc...but I think most of the participants will be real cruisers just trying to make the trip to Maine quicker and easier. More like a rally than a race. But I could be wrong. Haven't talked to the Corinthians directly yet. As soon as I do I will post an update on my blog.

Just a little racing done KWRW, StPete NOOD, and this weekend San Diego NOOD...

Glad someone is racing. I think I have been looking at my drink a little to long this winter. Need to get out and sail.

Glad someone is racing. I think I have been looking at my drink a little to long this winter. Need to get out and sail.

h.s. sailing starts practice, er, next week!! come on up! you can practice with my team!! :lol:

god. it's gonna be cold.

/c

Or are we really going sailing

i wish it was gritty's!!! but no, we are actually gonna be gettin all the sailmaine 420's ready next week and sailing the week after.....

but.

i'll never rule out gritty's (nor will ANYONE else here) so... if you are up in the area, let us know!!!!!

/c

Hey you Portlanders,

Stopped in Portland Monday evening for a brew and a bite to eat.

Your fine city is gets better every time I stop by.

Of course, the fact that it was St. Patrick's Day and downtown was hoppin' helped a bit.

Looks like a great area to live/sail.

just got back from a week of sailing/ other activities associated with sailing in florida....

Fly, our foredeck guy on the Flying Tiger goes to Eckerd and said the UVM sailing team were a bunch of hard core drinking puppies down there last week...hope you got some training in too.. :lol:

just got back from a week of sailing/ other activities associated with sailing in florida.

UVM rigs and sails this week. Christ that is going to be cold

suider what team are you coaching? I feel like I should be praying for them...

hey man good to hear you're back on the water. i keep bumping into groovy uvies various places so dont be surprised if someone tells you that some random dude told them to say hi to you.

There is an interesting article in the Forecaster about Handy Boat being sold.G

Old old news....nice to be recognized and called "a boathouse" instead of "The Boathouse"....fucktard reporter...btw anyone have 3,000 sf on the water for rent :o ?

Share on other