Gulf of maine scuttlebut

This is a joke right?

Next you're going to tell us that you are from Nigeria and want to split a Bizzion dollars with us!

Hard to believe, but it's not a joke. I'm not sure the cake-surprise would be necessary, but who knows. It's a very real request. The only lady I know in the bunch is someone I went to college with and is now attending USM Law...

And no, she isn't a land mammal.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Hard to believe, but it's not a joke. I'm not sure the cake-surprise would be necessary, but who knows. It's a very real request. The only lady I know in the bunch is someone I went to college with and is now attending USM Law...

And no, she isn't a land mammal.

Kitty...this is all you. Pick yourself off the floor, clean the keyboard off and get this done.

Since we have no wind instruments, we relied on buoy reports. Portland weather buoy said 19 gusting to 25 with 2.6 foot seas but I say they were lying... at least about the seas. It was pretty rolly and confused out there.

But the wind was no comparison to the MS Regatta from last year (or was it the year before last?)

It got pretty squally at around 7 p.m. when we were between Fuller Rock and the Monument. Had full main and partially furled genny up and the old girl handled it quite well. Once inside the monument the seas quieted down but the lightning was a bit intimidating. Then once at Pound of Tea is was downright tranquil.

Too bad you didn't stay for the awards. The staff of BRBY announced that they had been watching the weather radar and strongly encouraged anyone who was thinking of leaving to wait until this morning. They kicked in the overnight stay at no cost. Mighty friendly of them I say. Good time, good hosts...

Navy

Unusual request:

Anyone who would consider, or knows of someone, taking a group of 6-7 twentysomething girls having a bachelorette party for a booze cruise around Portland Harbor or similar? This would be the evening of August 16th (Saturday). I'm not aware of any commercial outfits that might provide such a service. This would be preferably be on a sailing vessel of appropriate size and the vessel's skipper/captain/owner to keep things on an even keel.

I will not be in attendance nor do I have any attachments to any of the ladies, simply a request from a non-sailor friend.

Probably best to PM me...

I'll just take this opportunity to remind you all that you'll be racing in the MS Regatta that day. NOR is in the mail.

So I'm moving to Bath area and was wondering if you guys could give me the deal about gulf of maine racing mostly for big boats.

much appreciated.

The deal is, it's fun.

Honestly PM pretty much anyone on this thread and they'll (probably) help you out. :)

I left the dock at 4pm and set the sails at about 6pm NE of Sequin. After I sailed through to Small Point the seas and winds kicked up with the lightning as a motivator. I decided to duck into Small Point Cove - over by the fishing boats. I hit 10 knots on the waves with the #3 flogging. After about 30-45 minutes it had calmed and I headed out again. I ended up coming in Broad Sound to get out of the swell. It was nice and calm inside - not much wind though.

Beausoleil was out there ahead of me under power, I lost sight of them before I bailed.

BRB is a great place, they were very friendly and helpful! They did offer a mooring for me for the night, but I decided to give it a go. Made it in to Portland at 1am. Next year I am going to plan more time for the return trip.

Southport was a fun regatta. Hope to do it next year, with better results.

I left the dock at 4pm and set the sails at about 6pm NE of Sequin. After I sailed through to Small Point the seas and winds kicked up with the lightning as a motivator. I decided to duck into Small Point Cove - over by the fishing boats. I hit 10 knots on the waves with the #3 flogging. After about 30-45 minutes it had calmed and I headed out again. I ended up coming in Broad Sound to get out of the swell. It was nice and calm inside - not much wind though.

Beausoleil was out there ahead of me under power, I lost sight of them before I bailed.

BRB is a great place, they were very friendly and helpful! They did offer a mooring for me for the night, but I decided to give it a go. Made it in to Portland at 1am. Next year I am going to plan more time for the return trip.

Southport was a fun regatta. Hope to do it next year, with better results.

What were the results?

Too bad you didn't stay for the awards. The staff of BRBY announced that they had been watching the weather radar and strongly encouraged anyone who was thinking of leaving to wait until this morning. They kicked in the overnight stay at no cost. Mighty friendly of them I say. Good time, good hosts...

Navy

I would love to have stayed; I suspect stickboy would have too. But neither of us really wanted to burn a precious vacation day from work for a delivery.

Yeah I know, coulda called in sick with some 24-hour bug.

I'll just take this opportunity to remind you all that you'll be racing in the MS Regatta that day. NOR is in the mail.

hmmmmm-

1) one six mile shitty race....

or-

2) Sailing with six or seven scantaly clad smoking hot coeds that have had to much to drink around (Kitty's

Imagination has run amuck)

I'll have to ask the crew-

weigh in boys!

hmmmmm-

1) one six mile shitty race....

or-

2) Sailing with six or seven scantaly clad smoking hot coeds that have had to much to drink around (Kitty's

Imagination has run amuck)

I'll have to ask the crew-

weigh in boys!

You really have to ask?? No brainer -- We get the Portland Pilots to Sponsor us for MS, and crew it with six or seven scantly clad hot coeds....it will be the first annual BDP MS Booze cruise. Hell Kitty register BDP in crusing class and the only kite to fly will be their bra's.

Ok enough of that back to work for me!

Soggy out

Some people never learn.

;) Yeah, last time I used the 24-hour bug excuse to play hookey, it was to go skiing. That did not turn out the way either I or my co-conspirator had hoped. Only bright spot was I got to talk sailing with one of the people in the first-aid room while my friend was being evaluated.

I won't be, I'll be sailing in the Retarded Skippers Race.... err... Retired, sorry. Anyone can run over a nav aid, not just the mentally handicapped or the elderly.

In truth it's a great event, so if you aren't doing the MS, you should be here.

Can a bachelorette party qualify as a sponsor? Might work out fine unless it's like last year.

G

Call Chippendale's ...

I'm headed to Maine Maritime academy for college, there much racing in the area of castine?

[/quote

You'll be too busy drinking away your bordom to sail. If that doesn't sound like it makes sense, it will by the end of your first month.

Speaking of drinking in Casine......Can we get a rollcall for the bar on saturday night?

Late breaking news from Falmouth: The Handy Boat Midsummer Regatta, scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 2 (tomorrow) has been cancelled.

Probably just as well -- wunderground and sailflow data were not encouraging.

So does this mean the drinking can start earlier?

That sucks.

whats the reasoning, weather?

Gulf of Maine Racing News

The local lowdown on sailboat racing in the Gulf of Maine

August 1, 2008

This just in... the Handy Boat Midsummer Regatta, scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 2, has been cancelled. But never fear, there is still more racing on tap.

That sucks.

August 1, 2008

This just in... the Handy Boat Midsummer Regatta, scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 2, has been cancelled. But never fear, there is still more racing on tap.

oddly enough it probably has more to do with a sale of a boat yard.

That sucks.

August 1, 2008

Just because we can't race doesn't mean we can't get together and tell lies. Any thoughts of a get together for those of us not in Castine?

Entirely my call. Multiple reasons for cancelling. I thought it would be more gracious to cancel Friday than to wait for Saturday's Skippers Meeting. No further discussion on SA.

"No further discussion on SA" to this group is like waving red meat in front of a shark, 100 dollar bills in front of a stripper, half dozen coed bachelorettes in front of Kitty... :)

Late breaking news from Falmouth: The Handy Boat Midsummer Regatta, scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 2 (tomorrow) has been cancelled.

Probably just as well -- wunderground and sailflow data were not encouraging.

So does this mean the drinking can start earlier?

This actually worked out well for us in both sailing and drinking areas:

Yesterday, G and I were able to get some spinnaker work in as we are trying to prepare for our 'double handed - three legged race'

and

some significant drinking practice at the bar at the Falmouth Sea Grill!

This actually worked out well for us in both sailing and drinking areas:

Yesterday, G and I were able to get some spinnaker work in as we are trying to prepare for our 'double handed - three legged race'

and

some significant drinking practice at the bar at the Falmouth Sea Grill!

Looking at the entry list, doublehanded racing looks like a pretty hot class, doesn't it? We fully expect to be DFL over the finish line, will be interesting to see if we correct on anyone.

Looking at the entry list, doublehanded racing looks like a pretty hot class, doesn't it? We fully expect to be DFL over the finish line, will be interesting to see if we correct on anyone.

You guys really sail your boat well. It will take alot of work and the right wind conditions to correct out over you and the C&C35. I reckon we have to be in about an hour and 3/4 before the Rita P. The Olsen 30 'Thumper' has a new bow sprit and asym that should make things quite interesting!

"Decoy C&C 10683 126 Bob Daigle

Thumper Olson 30 31465 108 Will Rooks

LIBRA Sabre 32 USA 50681 164 Barney Baker

Revolution X J92S 60 96 Jim Marchant

t'kela S2 7.9 390 174 Gregg Carville

Rita P Pearson 30 1049 192 Randy Rice "

Also looks suspiciously like the cruising class at a lot of regattas... I am really looking forward to this though.

G

Also looks suspiciously like the cruising class at a lot of regattas... I am really looking forward to this though.

G

Good point. Decoy was the one who kicked our ass at Centerboard when you were on board.

We'll be flying our asymetrical. How well we do will depend on wind conditions. Reaching we'll do well but anything DDW not so much.

I was actually thinking I would be getting the DFL honors this year. Looking at the class and figuring first time around on this boat... we shall see. My goal is to just keep moving - I figure Revox and Thumper will be the fast guys out there. I was actually hoping Rita P was going cruising - that boat can move. I look forward to seeing the chute. Let's hope the wind and weather is better next weekend, though this afternoon was absolutely gorgeous for sailing. Saw one of the class 40's out there tuning up.

I rounded up too many crew to do the double-handed, so we're in the Manana race. Looks like it might be a tight bunch, rating-wise -- the difference between fastest and slowest boat should be less than an hour over 83 miles....

Since we have yet to hoist our spinnaker this year, it should be interesting! Some practice is scheduled for this week....

I was actually thinking I would be getting the DFL honors this year. Looking at the class and figuring first time around on this boat... we shall see. My goal is to just keep moving - I figure Revox and Thumper will be the fast guys out there. I was actually hoping Rita P was going cruising - that boat can move. I look forward to seeing the chute. Let's hope the wind and weather is better next weekend, though this afternoon was absolutely gorgeous for sailing. Saw one of the class 40's out there tuning up.

Yes, the 'second' Class 40 has just completed commisioning at MYC. She looks great!

So what ended up happening with the Camden/Castine? Saturday there was no wind, Sunday there was... well... SShow gave a nice snapshot. Did the fleet even go?

I heard a report of "a bunch of J boats headed to Camden Saturday afternoon" ... was that you guys? Get lost?

EDIT: Saw the other thread. At least you guys raced... NYC cancelled, we waited the storms out and then there was no wind behind them (as you noted). We went drinking instead.

don't hold your breath, Solar.

They were pretty indifferent about the whole weekend!

Know that the volunteers at GMORA are trying to get the results from the volunteers at CYC.

I was simply referring to CYC not any volunteers at GMORA

I'm referring to both. I'm told that the results had been posted but an error was found, so they're fixing and will repost.

You might consider cutting the volunteer a little slack. It's his first year doing this stuff and he is, after all, a volunteer.

I'm referring to both. I'm told that the results had been posted but an error was found, so they're fixing and will repost.

You might consider cutting the volunteer a little slack. It's his first year doing this stuff and he is, after all, a volunteer.

I wasn't referring to the volunteer doing the scoring- I was refering to the whole feeling let off by the club about the event.

I wasn't referring to the volunteer doing the scoring- I was refering to the whole feeling let off by the club about the event.

Yea, I kinda felt that even way down here. Lots of opportunity for change in this event. Was there anything at all at Wayfarer Sunday afternoon?

Nothing new about that, Camden (and Castine for that matter) are decidedly ambivalent about GMORA and have been for years. Move all of it to Rockland I say, do two dys of round-the-buoys outside Rockland harbor with an overnight stay, that town can be pretty fun in the summer, get the Atlantic Challenge people involved, they're great people and they really support sailing...plus its closer to P Town.

[/shit stirring devils advocate]

Nothing new about that, Camden (and Castine for that matter) are decidedly ambivalent about GMORA and have been for years. Move all of it to Rockland I say, do two dys of round-the-buoys outside Rockland harbor with an overnight stay, that town can be pretty fun in the summer, get the Atlantic Challenge people involved, they're great people and they really support sailing...plus its closer to P Town.

[/shit stirring devils advocate]

Yeh!

Move the race to Rockland.

One day of windward lewards.

One day around Isleboro.

Rockland maybe. W/L no. Why go anywhere at all to race w/l? You might as well race the same venue all the time.

Stickboy - nope, nothing at all. Not even a marina that knew we were all coming back. There was great consternation as we arrived and we were the fourth boat in. They must have been losing it as the rest of the fleet showed up.

Discussion at RYC tonight after racing, actually race as there was only enough breeze to get one in tonight, was mostly of being disappointed in the over all experience. Not much enthusiasm from the organizers, but general approval of the on the water committee work. I think what bothers those I've spoken to is: 1) no results. I'm told, third hand, that results were/have been posted at the Camden Yacht Club. That's nice but almost nobody from that club even did the race. Al Gore invented this really cool thing called "the internet" just so we could get info out quickly. Yeah, that was snarky. Get over it. 2) Some folks were pretty embarrassed to show up at Wayfarer, where we were told there would be some kind of get together, only to walk into an event held for the Corinthians, who, I might add, lived up to their rep for inclusiveness. Yea, that was snarky too.

So, we spent 65 bucks for a cup of coffee and a couple of doughtnut holes. Not exactly what I expected, as a first timer, considering the storied past of this race.

Now, it's easy to take shots at the event after the fact. The question now is how can we, GMORA or other member clubs, help Castine YC and Camden YC bring this thing up to snuff? What do these two institutions have to say about it? If anything.

Here are the Camden-Castine results as reported to me from the club's representative to the board. I will not be held responsible for their accuracy. Sorry for the crummy formatting but I understand some people are anxious and I am at work with no time to f*** around and make it look any better than it does. Have a nice day :)

Overall

A Fleet

Sailed:2, Discards:0, To count:2, Ratings:PHRF, Entries:10, Scoring system:Appendix A Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Saturday Sunday Score

1st Kaos 41880 Scott Smithwick 69 2.0 1.0 3.0

2nd Scaramouche 41088 Merle Hallett 60 1.0 3.0 4.0

3rd Snowbird USA-72 Jonathan Randall 63 3.0 4.0 7.0

4th Big Dog Party 30959 Peter Price 12 8.0 2.0 10.0

5th Hankerin 50989 Ted Smith 6 5.0 6.0 11.0

6th Surprise 52876 Mark Scheffer 72 4.0 8.0 12.0

7th Revolution IX 51543 Maine Maritime 3 7.0 5.0 12.0

8th Beausoleil 43501 Richard Parent 75 6.0 7.0 13.0

9th Sans Culottes 52411 Robert Johnston 51 10.0 9.0 19.0

10th Poppaea 52454 Andrew Von Hirsh 27 9.0 11.0 DNF 20.0

C Fleet

Sailed:2, Discards:0, To count:2, Ratings:PHRF, Entries:8, Scoring system:Appendix A Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Saturday Sunday Score

1st Cat's Paw 53109 Frederick Minson 114 1.0 1.0 2.0

2nd Fearless 2368 Betty Minson 114 3.0 2.0 5.0

3rd Havoc 0 Patti & Jeff Dinse 168 5.0 3.0 8.0

4th Walkabout 93 Doug Pope 132 6.0 4.0 10.0

4th Atalanta 20283 Richard Sides 207 4.0 6.0 10.0

6th Fiesta 33474 Rick Ledwith, Jr. 102 2.0 9.0 DNF 11.0

7th Migis Magic 71 Jesse Henry 129 7.0 5.0 12.0

8th Sea Jab 143 Al Hodson 132 9.0 DNF 9.0 DNF 18.0

Cruise Fleet

Sailed:2, Discards:0, To count:2, Ratings:PHRF, Entries:3, Scoring system:Appendix A Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Saturday Sunday Score

1st Avalon 42628 Keith Bradley 120 1.0 1.0 2.0

2nd Too Elusive 51981 Arthur "Kitt" Watson 27 2.0 4.0 DNF 6.0

3rd Tempest 105 Bob Grant 162 4.0 DNF 4.0 DNF 8.0

Multi-Hull Fleet

Sailed:2, Discards:0, To count:2, Ratings:PHRF, Entries:4, Scoring system:Appendix A Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Saturday Sunday Score

1st Flying Fish 39 Charlie Pingree -40 2.0 2.0 4.0

2nd Faamu Sami USA Richard Saltonstall -96 4.0 1.0 5.0

2nd Alegra 20 Peter Garcia 30 1.0 4.0 5.0

4th Cloud IX X John Priestley 10 3.0 3.0 6.0

Daily results

Saturday - A Fleet

Start:A, Finishes:Finish time, Time:1210, Distance:18.2 Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Finish Elapsed Corrected Ave speed

1 Scaramouche 41088 Merle Hallett 60 174901 5:39:01 5:20:49 3.221 kn

2 Kaos 41880 Scott Smithwick 69 175219 5:42:19 5:21:23 3.19 kn

3 Snowbird USA-72 Jonathan Randall 63 175235 5:42:35 5:23:28 3.188 kn

4 Surprise 52876 Mark Scheffer 72 175748 5:47:48 5:25:58 3.14 kn

5 Hankerin 50989 Ted Smith 6 174200 5:32:00 5:30:11 3.289 kn

6 Beausoleil 43501 Richard Parent 75 180759 5:57:59 5:35:14 3.05 kn

7 Revolution IX 51543 Maine Maritime 3 174638 5:36:38 5:35:43 3.244 kn

8 Big Dog Party 30959 Peter Price 12 175022 5:40:22 5:36:44 3.208 kn

9 Poppaea 52454 Andrew Von Hirsh 27 180345 5:53:45 5:45:34 3.087 kn

10 Sans Culottes 52411 Robert Johnston 51 181630 6:06:30 5:51:02 2.98 kn

Sunday - A Fleet

Start:A, Finishes:Finish time, Time:1410, Distance:13.6 Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Finish Elapsed Corrected Ave speed

1 Kaos 41880 Scott Smithwick 69 180830 3:58:30 3:42:52 3.421 kn

2 Big Dog Party 30959 Peter Price 12 175701 3:47:01 3:44:18 3.594 kn

3 Scaramouche 41088 Merle Hallett 60 181233 4:02:33 3:48:57 3.364 kn

4 Snowbird USA-72 Jonathan Randall 63 181525 4:05:25 3:51:08 3.325 kn

5 Revolution IX 51543 Maine Maritime 3 180420 3:54:20 3:53:39 3.482 kn

6 Hankerin 50989 Ted Smith 6 180631 3:56:31 3:55:09 3.45 kn

7 Beausoleil 43501 Richard Parent 75 184053 4:30:53 4:13:53 3.012 kn

8 Surprise 52876 Mark Scheffer 72 184559 4:35:59 4:19:40 2.957 kn

9 Sans Culottes 52411 Robert Johnston 51 184332 4:33:32 4:21:58 2.983 kn

10 Poppaea 52454 Andrew Von Hirsh 27 DNF

Saturday - C Fleet

Start:C, Finishes:Finish time, Time:1200, Distance:18.2 Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Finish Elapsed Corrected Ave speed

1 Cat's Paw 53109 Frederick Minson 114 175915 5:59:15 5:24:40 3.04 kn

2 Fiesta 33474 Rick Ledwith, Jr. 102 175646 5:56:46 5:25:50 3.061 kn

3 Fearless 2368 Betty Minson 114 180405 6:04:05 5:29:30 2.999 kn

4 Atalanta 20283 Richard Sides 207 183745 6:37:45 5:34:58 2.745 kn

5 Havoc 0 Patti & Jeff Dinse 168 183025 6:30:25 5:39:27 2.797 kn

6 Walkabout 93 Doug Pope 132 182505 6:25:05 5:45:03 2.836 kn

7 Migis Magic 71 Jesse Henry 129 183020 6:30:20 5:51:12 2.798 kn

8 Sea Jab 143 Al Hodson 132 DNF

Sunday - C Fleet

Start:C, Finishes:Finish time, Time:1400, Distance:13.6 Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Finish Elapsed Corrected Ave speed

1 Cat's Paw 53109 Frederick Minson 114 183333 4:33:33 4:07:43 2.983 kn

2 Fearless 2368 Betty Minson 114 183342 4:33:42 4:07:52 2.981 kn

3 Havoc 0 Patti & Jeff Dinse 168 184828 4:48:28 4:10:23 2.829 kn

4 Walkabout 93 Doug Pope 132 184555 4:45:55 4:16:00 2.854 kn

5 Migis Magic 71 Jesse Henry 129 185756 4:57:56 4:28:42 2.739 kn

6 Atalanta 20283 Richard Sides 207 192118 5:21:18 4:34:23 2.54 kn

7 Fiesta 33474 Rick Ledwith, Jr. 102 DNF

7 Sea Jab 143 Al Hodson 132 DNF

Saturday - Cruise Fleet

Start:Cruise, Finishes:Finish time, Time:1150, Distance:18.2 Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Finish Elapsed Corrected Ave speed

1 Avalon 42628 Keith Bradley 120 190119 7:11:19 6:34:55 2.532 kn

2 Too Elusive 51981 Arthur "Kitt" Watson 27 185419 7:04:19 6:56:08 2.574 kn

3 Tempest 105 Bob Grant 162 DNF

Sunday - Cruise Fleet

Start:Cruise, Finishes:Finish time, Time:1350, Distance:13.6 Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Finish Elapsed Corrected Ave speed

1 Avalon 42628 Keith Bradley 120 190525 5:15:25 4:48:13 2.587 kn

2 Too Elusive 51981 Arthur "Kitt" Watson 27 DNF

2 Tempest 105 Bob Grant 162 DNF

Saturday - Multi-Hull Fleet

Start:Multi-Hull, Finishes:Finish time, Time:1220, Distance:18.2 Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Finish Elapsed Corrected Ave speed

1 Alegra 20 Peter Garcia 30 175548 5:35:48 5:26:42 3.252 kn

2 Flying Fish 39 Charlie Pingree -40 174429 5:24:29 5:36:37 3.365 kn

3 Cloud IX X John Priestley 10 180041 5:40:41 5:37:39 3.205 kn

4 Faamu Sami USA Richard Saltonstall -96 173735 5:17:35 5:46:42 3.438 kn

Sunday - Multi-Hull Fleet

Start:Multi-Hull, Finishes:Finish time, Time:1420, Distance:13.6 Rank Boat SailNo Helm PHRF Finish Elapsed Corrected Ave speed

1 Faamu Sami USA Richard Saltonstall -96 172337 3:03:37 3:25:23 4.444 kn

2 Flying Fish 39 Charlie Pingree -40 180257 3:42:57 3:52:01 3.66 kn

3 Cloud IX X John Priestley 10 181543 3:55:43 3:53:27 3.462 kn

4 Alegra 20 Peter Garcia 30 182530 4:05:30 3:58:42 3.324 kn

looking for a little help here...

this fall for my college sailing team we have a few small keelboat regattas and would like to do at least one day of practice not in dinghys. Any you guys know where we could do this, J22/J24 colgate 26 etc. We just really need to get on the water in something and practice some boat handling and speed testing.

Any help is much appreciated.

Had one drop out, so I could use one or two crew for Monhegan (Manana) on GREYHAWK. If you know anyone who is looking for a ride, have them call me at 603-209-9222

this fall for my college sailing team we have a few small keelboat regattas and would like to do at least one day of practice not in dinghys. Any you guys know where we could do this, J22/J24 colgate 26 etc. We just really need to get on the water in something and practice some boat handling and speed testing. Any help is much appreciated.

Sail Maine has 8 Yngdings......MMA has Colgates...

Is the MS Regatta NOR posted anywhere? Does anyone know the start time? 1PM?

Huh... I went to www.msmaine.org and it says the NOR was "coming soon." I know we got a hard copy at home but I can't find it.

Judging from last year's results, looks like the first gun would be at 12:30.

I bet treehugger or Navy Junior could tell us for sure.

2008_NOR.pdf

The MS office has been a little nutty this week recovering from the MS Bike last weekend. NOR & Race Courses will be added this morning to the website. Registration forms for both Skipper and Sponsors are already available on the site.

Parade assembly at C11 1030

Parade start 1045

First Gun 1230

There are new courses but the pdf is too large to attach here. See it at www.msmaine.org

Looking forward to seeing you all next weekend!

Navy

this fall for my college sailing team we have a few small keelboat regattas and would like to do at least one day of practice not in dinghys. Any you guys know where we could do this, J22/J24 colgate 26 etc. We just really need to get on the water in something and practice some boat handling and speed testing.

Any help is much appreciated.

What school, where, how many boats do you need?

Two other ideas for discussion:

1) MMA taking a bigger role in the weekend...

2) What will it take to het the east boats involved in more races? It is my understanding that PHRF Maines will be in northeast Harbor next year...

I just ran through the forum recap of the past weekends events in Camden and Castine, and thought I would add my thoughts.

I spent the entire car ride home to Portland bewildered, with the lack of interest, and involvement from the Camden and Castine Yacht Clubs. This event used to be a uniting event for GMORA, drawling yachts from the Western, Central, and Eastern divisions. This year’s race left most involved with a very bad taste in their mouths, and a desire for something different.

Below are two points that have bouncing around in my head all week…

The Castine YC Race Committee left station at the finish of the 1st day’s racing before a single boat finished. >>>We must have been cutting into their cocktail-hour… Castine YC seems to have no interest in the event. Their role in this event has gone from a welcoming BBQ in years past to a non existent RC this year. It seems to me that the torch could be passed to Maine Maritime Academy, who could benefit from the PR in the GMORA fleet.

The Camden YC truly dropped the ball as event hosts… The club was obviously overbooked for events, and the GMORA fleet truly got the short straw. Both the J/Jamboree and the Corinthian YC (Marblehead) Cruise were in Camden last weekend. A post race event was scheduled to be held at Wayfarer Marina, hosted by the Camden YC, because the Marblehead “Joeys” needed to have their private cocktail hour at the club. When the fleet arrived, these folks had commandeered both sides of the harbor, and told members of the fleet that all events were private. At this point we all went home… No results, no pickle dishes, no beer… >>>The Camden YC has lost focus like so many other Yacht Clubs across the country. An aging membership could care less about racing, and often sailing in general. For this community, tillers have been replaced by Jet-Drives. The racing community, which in many cases served as the foundation of these clubs in their early days is now seen as a nuisance, and a hindrance to afternoon gin swilling and general snobbery.

The only reason that this event will continue is the two day format. Its overall importance is as a result of points. If GMORA finds another two day event to put on the schedule, the chances are that the Camden Castine Race will become a fleeting memory. The whole thing is kind of sad, but until attitudes at these institutions change, I fear that the GMORA events held here will continue to deteriorate.

Thanks to those volunteers that worked hard to make something happen last weekend. We only wish you had more help, and membership which better respected the Maine Yacht racing community.

Good luck to everyone competing in the Monhegan Race this weekend. Glad Portland Yacht Club is enthusiastic about Maine’s racing heritage.

This event is one of my favorites. I learned to sail and then taught sailing at the Camden Yacht Club. CYC is a small club with an all-volunteer group. I know the Fleet Captain very well and he feels badly about the way some things transpired this past weekend. I also feel badly the way some participants treated his staff during the weekend.

This is a two way street we run on in this game. Camden has the same issues PYC and other clubs do trying to satisfy the needs/wants of its members while endeavoring to please visitors. Many times, these two constituencies clash. Camden lacks a quorum when it comes to members who are PHRF sailors or boat owners and therefore sometimes finds itself resource-challenged when it comes to running C-C.

I propose that those of us who are passionate about C-C offer to provide some friendly, constructive criticsm and advice. I would be glad to act as a conduit and communicate with the CYC folks who I grew up with to see if we can create a win-win here.

Strong work to C of Regatta Promotions.

Best Monhegan Party to date!

Portland Yacht Club needs to be thanked for opening it's doors and making all of the club's dining facilities available to all the racers!

Portland Yacht Club needs to be thanked for opening it's doors and making all of the club's dining facilities available to all the racers!

Agreed!!!

And what a race, eh?

Good call Max. The amount of effort that goes into this (and ALL PYC events) is staggering. We should all make a point to show our gratitude for not only the effort, but the success of that effort. Thank You PYC.

PYC has done an outstanding job on all the regattas this year. Thanks to all the organizers/committee people for their hard work. I keep thinking I've got enough backpacks and bags, then Regatta Promotions comes up with something new, different, and better. The beer cooler bags for the Monhegan are awesome!

And what a race, eh?

Race??? I suppose, if you consider "racing" to be tacking back and forth against a current so strong that you are basically going back and forth acxross the same spot making zero VMG... in the dark of night enshouded in fog so you can't see what's happening with your competition!! :)

That was a tough one for sure. At one point, the conversation went something like:

"Would you like to make your negative VMG on a port tack or starboard tack?"

"Well if we're on starboard we'd at least have rights."

"True, but with the wave action we're getting, a port tack is a lot more comfortable."

"You're right. Let's tack."

That was a long, tough one. Had a nice breeze down to Wood Island and for the first 10 miles (two hours) of the 30-mile leg from Wood Island to Seguin. After the wind died, it took us 11 hours to get through the next 20 miles of that leg. Somewhere in there it turned from a run into a beat. I've never seen the currents so strong out on the open water. It was kind of a goof to be flying a chute on the last leg, which is usually a beat. And with all the fog, you had no idea where your competition was a lot of the time. Then you'd get to a mark and surprise! You've got company!

I hear Catamount's class had an interesting start. :) Nice job by the way. For the new kid on the block, you're certainly taking home your share of silver.

enjoyed monhegan this year. It was a long one.

YB to Monhegan we went right of the rhumline - max. about 6 miles. very slow moving from midnight until 9am but we kept the boat going.

Ckoch, your right about the current, coming back in we came close to Seguin and the rip coming out of the sheepscot was impressive.

enjoyed monhegan this year. It was a long one.

YB to Monhegan we went right of the rhumline - max. about 6 miles. very slow moving from midnight until 9am but we kept the boat going.

Ckoch, your right about the current, coming back in we came close to Seguin and the rip coming out of the sheepscot was impressive.

Just as we FINALLY got to Mile Ledge a bit after 7 a.m. Sunday, at the end of a long and lonely 11-hour leg, one of the cruising class boats emerged from the fog. We tacked to round the bell inside of the other boat and it became quite clear we had tacked a bit early. The current pushing us toward that bell was ripping. Had to put in two more tacks to get around.

From that point on, the current was with us for the first time in the whole race. Darned good thing because the air was pretty light.

It was a classic Monhegan with all the elements: good air, light air, no air, some current, some sun, some fog, shooting stars (before the fog rolled in), rogue waves in the middle of the night that break on the quarter and jump you out of your shorts, seabirds you don't see every day, commercial traffic, etc.

As of Monday 'unoficial results' as posted :

DIVISION MONHEGAN DIVISION 1

COURSE LENGTH 128

START TIME 11:35 START DATE 8/9/2008

POS BOAT NAME SKIPPER SAIL # PHRF Y"B" R"14M" FINISH TIME FINISH DATE ELAPSED CORRECTED

1 Bandito Dick Hale 50750 -3 17:10 6:54 15:06:04 8/10/2008 27:31:04 27:37:28

2 Big Dog Party Peter Price 50939 12 17:43 9:07 17:12:39 8/10/2008 29:37:39 29:12:03

DNF Resolute Fred Madeira 42846 36 12:34 withdrawn N/A

DNF Amhas Mackenzie Davis USA 39 -9 withdrawn N/A

DNS Hankerin Ted Smith 50989 6

DIVISION MONHEGAN DIVISION 2

COURSE LENGTH 128

START TIME 11:45 START DATE 8/9/2008

POS BOAT NAME SKIPPER SAIL # PHRF Y"B" R"14M" FINISH TIME FINISH DATE ELAPSED CORRECTED

1 Kaos Scott Smithwick 41880 69 18:36 10:07 18:53:51 8/10/2008 31:08:51 28:41:39

2 Snowbird Jon Randall 72 63 18:57 10:26 19:04:23 8/10/2008 31:19:23 29:04:59

3 Scaramouche Merle Hallett 41088 60 19:25:52 8/10/2008 31:40:52 29:32:52

DNF Tenho WD Howells 52619 57 11:19 withdrawn

DNF County Girl Bill Newberry USA 223 78 19:12 withdrawn

DNF Boreas Lloyd Van Lunen 50012 51 withdrawn

DNF Visions of Johanna William Strassberg 52562 54 withdrawn

DNF Beausoleil Richard Parent US 43501 75 withdrawn

DIVISION DOUBLE HANDED RACING

COURSE LENGTH 69

START TIME 11:55 START DATE 8/9/2008

POS BOAT NAME SKIPPER SAIL # PHRF C"1HR" R"20ML" FINISH TIME FINISH DATE ELAPSED CORRECTED

1 Thumper Will Rooks 31465 108 2:01 6:47:12 8/10/2008 18:52:12 16:48:00

2 Libra Barney Baker 50681 164 17:58 6:26 11:42:30 8/10/2008 23:47:30 20:38:54

3 Rita P Randy Rice 1049 189 18:06 7:11 13:00:28 8/10/2008 25:05:28 21:28:07

4 Decoy Bob Daigle 10683 126 6:56 12:19:22 8/10/2008 24:24:22 21:59:28

DNF Revolution X Jim Marchant 60 96 17:56 withdrawn

DNF T'kela Gregg Carville 390 174 withdrawn

DIVISION MONHEGAN MULTIHULL

COURSE LENGTH 128

START TIME 12:05 START DATE 8/9/2008

1 Alegra Peter Garcia 20 30 10:16 18:48:06 8/10/2008 30:43:06 29:39:06

DSQ Friends Jake van Beelen 35 -30 18:14:57 8/10/2008 30:09:57 31:13:57

DNS Flying Fish Charles Pingree 39 -40 DNS

DNS Triceratops Hal Kingsbury 320 45 DNS

DIVISION MANANA

COURSE LENGTH 83

START TIME 12:15 START DATE 8/9/2008

POS BOAT NAME SKIPPER SAIL # PHRF RW"P" R"14M" FINISH TIME FINISH DATE ELAPSED CORRECTED

1 Go Dog Go David Ruff 82 117 1:50 12:59:18 8/10/2008 24:44:18 22:02:27

2 Symmetry Win Scott 41067 132 15:40 2:18 13:54:05 8/10/2008 25:39:05 22:36:29

3 Greyhawk Tim Allen 30340 123 15:36 1:51 13:45:00 8/10/2008 25:30:00 22:39:51

4 Atlantea David Felsenthal US 43660 114 15:17 2:06 13:52:48 8/10/2008 25:37:48 23:00:06

5 Happy Ours Doug Coyle 32133 126 15:45 2:37 14:22:00 8/10/2008 26:07:00 23:12:42

6 Illusion Gary Blenkhorn 31448 108 15:29 2:33 14:00:24 8/10/2008 25:45:24 23:16:00

DNF Sunshine David Jones 53 123 2:44 Withdrawn

DNF Hawk's Nest Raymond Hawkins 161 141 Withdrawn

DNF Defiant Wayne Smith 41579 141 Withdrawn

DIVISION SEGUIN DIVISION 1

COURSE LENGTH 69

START TIME 12:25 START DATE 8/9/2008

POS BOAT NAME SKIPPER SAIL # PHRF C"1HR" R"20ML" FINISH TIME FINISH DATE ELAPSED CORRECTED

1 Cailin A Mara Tom Crotty USA 14 60 16:26 0:07 6:19:00 8/10/2008 17:54:00 16:45:00

2 Salu Frank Alexander 177 72 16:32 1:56 7:39:42 8/10/2008 19:14:42 17:51:54

3 Morning Star Jim Palmer 41396 108 17:31 4:12 9:01:10 8/10/2008 20:36:10 18:31:58

4 Thistle Jim Thomson 51891 51 16:40 5:11 10:51:20 8/10/2008 22:26:20 21:27:41

5 Cccourage Greggus Yahr 50525 108 17:40 6:20 13:28:18 8/10/2008 25:03:18 22:59:06

6 Reflections Erik Greven 265 99 19:52 7:10 13:42:54 8/10/2008 25:17:54 23:24:03

DIVISION SEGUIN DIVISION 2

COURSE LENGTH 69

START TIME 12:35 START DATE 8/9/2008

1 Dreams II Dave Merrill 269 144 18:09 7:35 14:08:33 8/10/2008 25:33:33 22:47:57

DNF Southern Cross Chris Loader H41 123 withdrawn

DNF Jibboo Stephen Fernald 52867 171 withdrawn

UPDATED

8/11/2008 11:04

Why is there an IRC class for the Northeast Harbor race?

I think it is becuase the race is part of Storm Trisail Club and they are trying to push IRC.

it does seem to be an odd option, high hopes for growth maybe (as Mr. Spud already pointed out)

I think it is becuase the race is part of Storm Trisail Club and they are trying to push IRC.

it does seem to be an odd option, high hopes for growth maybe (as Mr. Spud already pointed out)

It would be fun to score it both ways just for giggles. We never had the rating so...

So how did everyone's MS Regatta go? We had a good race. Seven sailed off into the sunset as usual, but the rest of us finished pretty close together and corrected to within 13 seconds. Good food, a bit too many (read: any) Dead covers for my taste, weather that waited until we were in to get snotty. and not a bad crowd either. Overall, a very nice event.

G

• 2 weeks later...