Gulf of maine scuttlebut

The Around Isleboro Race (which is a mass start with all classes starting at once!) started in thick fog (where is that starting line, anyway?) on a fast close reach in lifting fog (look at all those boats behind us!) towards Turtle Head . Going down the east side the fog came down again (where is the competition?????), and the winds were quite fluky with some big holes (some boats made out better than others!). The breeze finally filled in (and the fog lifted) at the bottom of the island. We jibbed it through Brackett's Channel, not knowing the water. The run back up to Bayside was pretty straightforward (we had a good race with Avalon there), but what was the wind doing around the corner up there? We were sailing by the lee for a bit, then gybed, and ended up sailing by the lee again on the new gybe in order to get to the finish line.

Results (both for Racing A and for Overall)

1st. Cat's Paw (Minson)

2nd. Morning Star (Wicken)

3rd. Mainstay 5 (Coughlin)

4th. Greyhawk (Allen)

I don't recall the rest....

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Two other ideas for discussion:

2) What will it take to het the east boats involved in more races? It is my understanding that PHRF Maines will be in northeast Harbor next year...

One could also ask, what would it take to get more western boats up for more of the eastern races????

When I was up in Northport for the Around Isleboro Race this past weekend, somebody (who has sailed in both western and eastern events) made the observation that west of Owl's Head, with the exception of the big overnight races, none of the GMORA races are longer than 10 miles in length; while west of Owl's Head, none of the races are less than 10 miles long. The other observation by this commentator was that west of Owl's Head, the racing classes spend more time waiting around in between their short races than they do actually racing.

But I think the bigger hurdle than differences in format, is simply the logistics of moving boats, cars, and crews around.

Maybe GMORA should be asking, what can the host clubs do to help make some of these things easier for visiting yachts?

Not sure what the answers are, but Maine's got a long coastline, with several different centers of yachting activity, each relatively remote from the other... Some more "cross-pollination" (if you will) between these areas would probably be a healthy thing (things get a bit incestuous otherwise), but the boats and their skippers and crews have got to be willing (and able) to put in the time and effort to make it happen.

...When I was up in Northport for the Around Isleboro Race this past weekend, somebody (who has sailed in both western and eastern events) made the observation that west of Owl's Head, with the exception of the big overnight races, none of the GMORA races are longer than 10 miles in length; while west of Owl's Head, none of the races are less than 10 miles long. The other observation by this commentator was that west of Owl's Head, the racing classes spend more time waiting around in between their short races than they do actually racing.

I would like to buy that commentator a beer.

longer races in the west........................................ genius.

we should be doing w/l out the hussey and back all summer - just my two peso's

One could also ask, what would it take to get more western boats up for more of the eastern races????

When I was up in Northport for the Around Isleboro Race this past weekend, somebody (who has sailed in both western and eastern events) made the observation that west of Owl's Head, with the exception of the big overnight races, none of the GMORA races are longer than 10 miles in length; while west of Owl's Head, none of the races are less than 10 miles long. The other observation by this commentator was that west of Owl's Head, the racing classes spend more time waiting around in between their short races than they do actually racing.

But I think the bigger hurdle than differences in format, is simply the logistics of moving boats, cars, and crews around.

Maybe GMORA should be asking, what can the host clubs do to help make some of these things easier for visiting yachts?

Not sure what the answers are, but Maine's got a long coastline, with several different centers of yachting activity, each relatively remote from the other... Some more "cross-pollination" (if you will) between these areas would probably be a healthy thing (things get a bit incestuous otherwise), but the boats and their skippers and crews have got to be willing (and able) to put in the time and effort to make it happen.

Thanks Catamount, there are some great topics of discussion here. What kind of racing would the members of GMORA like to see, what are the host organizations interested in doing to encourage more participation.

First of all, ARE the clubs interested in increasing participation? Some are but I'm not sure all are. GMORA strives for this but GMORA doesn't host events.

As Dirtdog inadvertently noted, some folks want windward/leeward courses in front of the club. Just making them longer or more laps certainly wouldn't interest me and I seriously question whether that would bring in boats from the East.

It seems there is more and more demand for W/L racing within sight of the dock. My theory is that many of the participants in our sport at this time came up through sailing programs where they arrived in the morning, raced many short one design races during the day and were done by early afternoon. This is sailing to many. I have no problem with that but it really isn't what GMORA is based on. The OR in GMORA stands for Ocean Racing which in my mind includes the challenges involved in racing on the ocean, currents, fog, waves, navigation, seamanship. W/L in front of PYC is all well and good for some but when races are cancelled because of fog I think it might be time for me to move on to other things.

I'm thinking about doing a survey of GMORA members. What questions should be asked??

I would like to buy that commentator a beer.

longer races in the west........................................ genius.

we should be doing w/l out the hussey and back all summer - just my two peso's

Lightship Race is coming up... That's longish and usually a great deal of fun.

G

Thanks Catamount, there are some great topics of discussion here. What kind of racing would the members of GMORA like to see, what are the host organizations interested in doing to encourage more participation.

First of all, ARE the clubs interested in increasing participation? Some are but I'm not sure all are. GMORA strives for this but GMORA doesn't host events.

As Dirtdog inadvertently noted, some folks want windward/leeward courses in front of the club. Just making them longer or more laps certainly wouldn't interest me and I seriously question whether that would bring in boats from the East.

It seems there is more and more demand for W/L racing within sight of the dock. My theory is that many of the participants in our sport at this time came up through sailing programs where they arrived in the morning, raced many short one design races during the day and were done by early afternoon. This is sailing to many. I have no problem with that but it really isn't what GMORA is based on. The OR in GMORA stands for Ocean Racing which in my mind includes the challenges involved in racing on the ocean, currents, fog, waves, navigation, seamanship. W/L in front of PYC is all well and good for some but when races are cancelled because of fog I think it might be time for me to move on to other things.

I'm thinking about doing a survey of GMORA members. What questions should be asked??

Talk about chumming the waters...

G

What should the rating breaks be? :P

Seriously, here are some ideas:

Would they like to see increased levels of participation in GMORA events or are they satisfied with the current levels of participation? (Or do they think there are too many boats racing?)

What criteria do they use when deciding which events to sail in and which to skip?

- the type of courses

- the nature of the parties

- the availability of moorage

- close to home so doesn't involve a lot of logistics

- the cost of entry

- does or doesn't involve sailing overnight

- the prizes that are given out

- the credit towards GMORA standings

- the competence (or lack thereof) of the local race committee

- etc, etc....

If the logistics of sailing in "away" events is a significant hurdle, what (if anything) could or should GMORA, host clubs, or others do to help overcome those hurdles?

Would they still compete if the GMORA Overall Division awards and the Dirigo Bowl required completion of races in all three geographic regions and not just two out of three regions?

Is the trend towards more short W/L courses being driven by the racers or by the race committees?

Are there other regattas or races that are not on the GMORA schedule but that should be? As part of GMORA's mission, shouldn't GMORA be promoting all "ocean" races that happen in Maine (or the Gulf of Maine), even if they don't count towards the standings?

Should the Marblehead-Halifax race count towards GMORA standings (it does, afterall, cross the Gulf of Maine!)? :rolleyes:

If the logistics of sailing in "away" events is a significant hurdle, what (if anything) could or should GMORA, host clubs, or others do to help overcome those hurdles?

I'd be interested to know what logistical hurdles keep people home... Lack of crew, lack of beds when away, car shuffling, time constraints, money, etc.

G

I'd be interested to know what logistical hurdles keep people home... Lack of crew, lack of beds when away, car shuffling, time constraints, money, etc.

G

All that stuff, G. For us, the biggest PITA is the logistics of getting the boat to and from "away" events like Boothbay and car shuttling. Deliveries can be a bit of a drag, and I hate to use precious time off from work for that but we have little choice. Anyone who did the delivery back to Casco Bay from Southport after SITR can tell you that was NOT fun. Waiting till the next day to come back wasn't an option for everyone.

If we were to do Camden-Castine, we'd have to take another THREE days off for deliveries -- one to get her up there from Boothbay, plus and another two to get her back to Casco Bay.

Expense is an issue for some of us. With Boothbay and SITR back-to-back weekends, some skippers keep their boats up there for the week in-between. At $30/night for a mooring, that can be a bit costly. If they don't leave her up there, then fuel costs are an issue. Most of the boats are not set up for sleeping aboard, so there is lodging, which in most cases ain't cheap. We cheap out by accepting a local's offer for a free mooring for that week, and by sleeping aboard. Otherwise, we couldn't afford to do it at all.

On schedules:

For a few years back in the old days, I recall a schedule that had the three Casco Bay races early like they are now, then shot the whole fleet on an overnighter to Southwest Harbor on MDI. From there, they picked their way back west each weekend, first Camden, then Boothbay, then "Race Week" (a feeder from Boothbay to Falmouth the Monday after Boothbay, then Tuesday and Wednesday around the buoys out of Falmouth), then Monhegan. This was before PHRF Maines, SITR, and the Handy Midsummer were added to the schedule. That schedule seemed logical, and the feeder from Boothbay to Falmouth into the Casco Bay race week was a nice touch.

I have no idea where they plan to put the new NEH race and PHRF Maines at NEH into the schedule next year. We have only a limited number of weekends available, the schedule is already pretty full as it is, and having more than one race on a given weekend is not to some people's liking. The current order following the three Casco Bay races -- where people go east to Boothbay, west to SITR, east to Camden/Castine, then back west to Monhegan -- seems a little disjointed to me; lots of moving back and forth there. I wonder if going back to the old schedule of taking a big bite east then working back west might be worth exploring. Of course, doing so would require agreement among a lot of clubs to change dates; not sure how well that would be received.

In any event, I sincerely doubt there will be a lot of western area C, D, and Cruising boats willing to go all the way up to Northeast for the PHRFs next year, but I could be wrong. I think moving the PHRFs around has merit, there is just the logistical question of how it will affect the rest of the schedule.

For me it comes down to a tactical race which is achieved by either w/l (tactical due to wind direction) or distance (tactical due to the change in conditions). personally I believe a 12-15 mile l/w race has a lot more tactical merit than a 4 mile w/l (quick w/l's in front of the club are not much interest to me personally). 12-15 miles and a windward first mark will get alot of variables in play and offer a good tactical course because the palyers can take advantage of changing conditions such as wind shifts, tide, etc...

I realize I am not the only one out there but a race that has a greater # of possible variables is the best kind of racing.

G- I agree, lightship is usually one of the best races of the season.

We need to build bridges to:

The east

and Portsmouth

As far as logistics go;

It helps to have a dedicated crew member just for Logistics.

Deliveries: The crew has to help. It is part of the deal. It's all fine and good to race and enjoy the party but that is not the whole gig. You have to help with boat prep, boat cleaning and maintanence and getting the boat back and forth to the venue. I am usually blessed with a crew that does this. I'm not sure all the programs do.

Cost- It's an expensive sport.

w/l- Several years ago PYC brought back the W/L. It was needed. The races we were having were reaching parades that didn't invole any tactics. I would like to see them longer.

Ocean racing- hummmmm, we dont do that here anymore. The one ocean race we had went the way of the dinosaur.

On schedules- We treat them as such sacred cows. We should be willing to adjust them.

I'm not an owner at the moment but I'll be again. In the meantime I'm back in the fleet as crew. From my perspective, short course W/L makes a lot more sense for one design racing than it does for PHRF. Boat on boat tactics mean more if the boats are evenly matched. The strategy of reading the weather, tides, etc. on longer or point to point races applies better in the handicap arena.

I'd like to see more longer races rather than more shorter W/L type stuff. I'd also like to see more point to point. I like the navigational challenge. As crew, I agree with Kitty - crew must be willing to participate all the way around. Its how we pay in in order play. Crew ought to help deliver and arrange rides. I don't know if this is the prevailing attitude or not.

Kitty - how much longer are you thinking about?

I'm not an owner at the moment but I'll be again. In the meantime I'm back in the fleet as crew. From my perspective, short course W/L makes a lot more sense for one design racing than it does for PHRF. Boat on boat tactics mean more if the boats are evenly matched. The strategy of reading the weather, tides, etc. on longer or point to point races applies better in the handicap arena.

I'd like to see more longer races rather than more shorter W/L type stuff. I'd also like to see more point to point. I like the navigational challenge. As crew, I agree with Kitty - crew must be willing to participate all the way around. Its how we pay in in order play. Crew ought to help deliver and arrange rides. I don't know if this is the prevailing attitude or not.

I agree on the crew stuff; they chould help. But with us, it's just the two of us, so no crew of our own to tap for rides, car shuttles, and what not.

We have, in the past, tapped other people's crews for car shuttles and stuff. One year, we took off on cruise right after SITR and Kitty (or one of his crew?) was kind enough to drive stickboy's truck back to HYC for us. In fact, Kitty will be amused to know that an SITR meal ticket/badge from 2005 is still stuck on the headliner above the passenger seat of stickboy's truck!

even in one design short w/l races reflect more who won the start and not who took advantage of wind shifts or worked their postion up through the fleet. distance will always seperate it creates the opportunities to capitalize on advantage. granted some do like the crew work aspect of short courses with multiple times around.

for PHRF w/l should not be identified with short courses but ussually is, not sure if this is what was intended SB but iguess I am going to run with it anyway. The real request from most (I believe) is to have a well placed windward mark that is a reasonable distance away 3-6 miles, it would be perfectly acceptable to throw in a wing mark around islands etc. if the up-wind legs of the course are as close to dead up wind as the RC is able to guess at prior to a start. From my perspective it is critical to have good upwind legs and down wind legs with some choices.

This is great stuff. Keep the communication flowing.

As you continue to think about what we would like, keep a few things in mind; the best GMORA can do is lobby member organizations toward changes we would like to see. The schedule is not CONTROLLED by GMORA but rather suggested (we took a little heat for last years schedule). And courses for each race are up to the discretion of the race committee on the boat at the time. The BEST way to affect the course is to get on the committee boat (something we all, myself included, should make an effort toward). Anyone with any influence at any organizing host should consider acting as a liason for GMORA. Consider getting involved in GMORA.

This is great stuff. Keep the communication flowing.

As you continue to think about what we would like, keep a few things in mind; the best GMORA can do is lobby member organizations toward changes we would like to see. The schedule is not CONTROLLED by GMORA but rather suggested (we took a little heat for last years schedule). And courses for each race are up to the discretion of the race committee on the boat at the time. The BEST way to affect the course is to get on the committee boat (something we all, myself included, should make an effort toward). Anyone with any influence at any organizing host should consider acting as a liason for GMORA. Consider getting involved in GMORA.

In what way did you get "heat" ?

Gmora can help shape the schedual-

We should be working with Portsmouth to include the Smuttynose regatta on our schedual- Gmora is the only organization capable of doing that.

In what way did you get "heat" ?

Gmora can help shape the schedual-

We should be working with Portsmouth to include the Smuttynose regatta on our schedual- Gmora is the only organization capable of doing that.

I've done the Smuttynose Regatta and it is a good venue, out of Wentworth YC (I think) which is not a bad place to hang out, not to mention protsmouth is a good time in the evening. whats the conflict on the MOR-ASS schedule? MS-regatta?

2 days of points would get boats down there.

Dirt Dog-

This is a huge growth opportunity for Mor-Ass. This is where We should be talking to Portsmouth and trying to get the two organizations lined up- . There are boats in Portsmouth that we have attracted to araces here. We should be sending boats down there to "pay- back" if you will.

It is also on the way to Perfs.....

Which of you silver tongued devils would like to volunteer to be the GMORA/Smuttynose liason?

Oh, and by the way, it's the same weekend as Monhegan.

You never know... After the white knuckle, high speed, thrill ride that was this year's Monhegan, there may be a few people that would like an alternative.

G

You never know... After the white knuckle, high speed, thrill ride that was this year's Monhegan, there may be a few people that would like an alternative.

G

G- You could always head all the way to CT for the white knuckle thrill ride out to the Vineyard and back.

It was either that or coming up with a new low-key distance race for the early fall.

Maine Rocks Shorthanded Race, this weekend?

Rockland - Matinicus Rock - Mt.Desert Rock - Matinicus Rock - Rockland, 112 nm

single or double-handed, at least 10 boats racing! still time to enter? contact Doug Pope

Which of you silver tongued devils would like to volunteer to be the GMORA/Smuttynose liason?

I will play a roll but need Kitty's superior intellect and diplomacy skills to make it happen. Although I would not want to introduce any race that would compete directly with Monhegan. I look at Monhegan as a way to pay penance for a years worth of sin.

Maine Rocks Shorthanded Race, this weekend?

Rockland - Matinicus Rock - Mt.Desert Rock - Matinicus Rock - Rockland, 112 nm

single or double-handed, at least 10 boats racing! still time to enter? contact Doug Pope

Excellent turnout. I'm jealous. Yes Catamount, I know I had my chance.

Have fun. Sail Safe.

G

For us it is/was crew. Hard time coming up with a solid core of 6-7 willing to sail every (or any) event. I'm going to buy a 5 knot shitbox that can be doublehanded in the cruising class....

For us it is/was crew. Hard time coming up with a solid core of 6-7 willing to sail every (or any) event. I'm going to buy a 5 knot shitbox that can be doublehanded in the cruising class....

Careful, start doublehanding and you never go back.

Works for us. But can you win the party? ;)

If we look at the Monhegan...

the weekend before is the Camden Castine- Maybe it's time to stick a fork in that... (sorry my Texas Girlfriend)

the weekend after is the MS regatta- a four mile race that only one other boat in my class showed up for this year. The Ms Regatta could easily loose ten boats to a Smuttynose regatta and not miss a beat.

Again we need to throw away the old notions that " that's such and such a weekend" and coordinate with other organizations to get things going here. If we don't thewn there is going to be a continued drop off in participation/

A few thoughts from a new skipper,

Sailboat racing is an expensive sport - that's why more and more folks are staying home. As entry fees start going above $125 per event, I can see myself opting out of those races. I am already looking at next season and planning on trimming my participation.

"What criteria do they use when deciding which events to sail in and which to skip?..."

Without a doubt the logistics are #1 in my mind, generally my crew is not available for deliveries. Southport was a real pain this year for me - 10 hours each way, solo. However I would go back - because BRB was a really good host. I wasn't crazy about the party or the RC, but I would give it another shot. And I would plan on 4 days for the event (this year I gave it 3)

#2 is getting crew. I am just starting out and am fortunate to have crewed on other boats so I know some folks. I was able to get a crew for most of the races, but it is always a challenge for the weekends. For weekday night racing I have to turn people down. I think the folks are tending to be more diverse in their pursuits and fewer folks are going to commit their whole summer to sailing. One or two nights a week or perhaps a weekend here and there. I know this summer there were times I raced 5 days in a week - my choice and I enjoyed it, it also meant nothing else got done around the house, etc.

I definately look for challenging racing conditions. Southport is a prime example - trying to figure out the current is what makes that an interesting place to race.

My ideal course is equal parts windward, leeward and reaching. I like that the current schedule is a mix. You don't get stuck doing the same type of course every time.

As for GMORA's influence on the schedule - go ahead and tell PYC to move Monhegan - I'm doubtful you are going to get much response - though I could be wrong. I think moving ME PHRF's around the regions is a great idea, but I am doubtful I will be participating as a skipper up in NE next summer.

It is up to the folks who want to host a race to get out there and create one. NE Harbor is an example. PYC has expanded the fall series. No one is saying don't host a regatta.

I think getting boats to go from region to region will be challenging. I plan to focus on expanding the fleet I race in. I would love to see a larger Class D, and I think there are folks in Lower Casco Bay who would join us, we just need to encourage them.

FWIW

Below is this past season's schedule for reference. I had thought long ago that Monhegan was always the first weekend in August but for whatever reason it was moved to the second weekend. None of the PYC hosted dates are "carved in stone" and the RC Committee has and will be discussing dates and how to improve the racing and/or attendence. If people value Monhegan over Camden Castine and the Down East Race Week over Camden Castine then Monhegan can be moved. Other points of discussion after this years longgggggggg race is shortening and/or changing the course. What about deleting the southern bouy and just race out of the Hussey turn left to Monhegan and return?

Racing Schedule 2008

Centerboard Regatta June 14 W 1 W

Pilot Race June 21-22 W 2 W

Harraseeket Regatta June 28 W 1 W

MDI Series I July 6 E 1 E

PHRF Maine Champs July 12-13 W, C, E 2 W

MDI Series II July 13 E 1 E

Hospice Regatta July 19 E 1 E

Boothbay Harbor July 19-20 W, C 2 C

MDI Series III July 20 E 1 E

Seguin Is. Trophy Race July 26-27 W, C 2 C

Downeast Challenge Race July 26-27 W, C 2 Any

HandyBoat Midsummer August 2 W 1 W

Camden-Castine Race August 2-3 C 2 C

MDI Series IV August 3 E 1 E

Monhegan August 9-10 W 2 W

Down East Race Week August 10-15 E 5 E

MS Regatta August 16 W 1 W

PHRF New Englands August 22-24 Overall 3 Any

Northeast Harbor Race August 29-31 W, C, E 2 Any

PYC Fall Series Sept. 13, 20, 27 W Only 3

Cat in the Hat-

Thank you nebbie-

In past years BDP has been crew challenged. We have solved that problem after some soul searching.

The Tips i can offer are: 1) start early and ask often. 2) Set a schedual and stick with it. 2) Use kids- they are so much more ethusiastic about what is going on. You will feel great about the progress they make. 3) make sure the boat is safe, compative, and fun. 4) make sure that the people you are counting on are capable of commitment ( this is where we have been burned) 5) do enough races that crew that realy want to race will stick with you instead of moving to a boat that is going to race a more compativer schedual. 6) embrace the adventure of it all- streach your limits- do things out of your comfort zone. 6) Be willing to grow crew from seeds- some of our best crew ( and by best i mean enthusiastic , loyal, dedicated) were brand new sailors.

We have never relied on the the Point's east crew night as I think it is too late in the season.

Cat in the Hat-

Thank you nebbie-

In past years BDP has been crew challenged. We have solved that problem after some soul searching.

The Tips i can offer are: 1) start early and ask often. 2) Set a schedual and stick with it. 2) Use kids- they are so much more ethusiastic about what is going on. You will feel great about the progress they make. 3) make sure the boat is safe, compative, and fun. 4) make sure that the people you are counting on are capable of commitment ( this is where we have been burned) 5) do enough races that crew that realy want to race will stick with you instead of moving to a boat that is going to race a more compativer schedual. 6) embrace the adventure of it all- streach your limits- do things out of your comfort zone. 6) Be willing to grow crew from seeds- some of our best crew ( and by best i mean enthusiastic , loyal, dedicated) were brand new sailors.

We have never relied on the the Point's east crew night as I think it is too late in the season.

Dear Kitty,

If I lived in Portland, I would be on your boat...until you kicked me off. Hee, hee.

You are fun, inclusive, all-encompassing, easy-going, oh and competitive too!

Meow?

I miss you and Maine!!!

:D

Can GMORA call a meeting with the other yacht clubs present to work out a schedule? What can help make this work are "feeder" type races or a schedule that promotes the travel, i.e. Smuttynose the weekend before PHRF's to get the boats halfway to MH. Or even a 3 day Boothbay event with Friday actually counting as a race from Portland to Boothbay. Just some ideas, but a slight shuffle would be nice.....MS regatta the weekend that is currently Monhegan and Monhegan after PHRF when there is more wind.

I think that GMORA with a little help from some members could make this work, after the sponsoring clubs all want good turnout and a successful event.

Below is this past season's schedule for reference. I had thought long ago that Monhegan was always the first weekend in August but for whatever reason it was moved to the second weekend. None of the PYC hosted dates are "carved in stone" and the RC Committee has and will be discussing dates and how to improve the racing and/or attendence. If people value Monhegan over Camden Castine and the Down East Race Week over Camden Castine then Monhegan can be moved. Other points of discussion after this years longgggggggg race is shortening and/or changing the course. What about deleting the southern bouy and just race out of the Hussey turn left to Monhegan and return?

Racing Schedule 2008

Centerboard Regatta June 14 W 1 W

Pilot Race June 21-22 W 2 W

Harraseeket Regatta June 28 W 1 W

MDI Series I July 6 E 1 E

PHRF Maine Champs July 12-13 W, C, E 2 W

MDI Series II July 13 E 1 E

Hospice Regatta July 19 E 1 E

Boothbay Harbor July 19-20 W, C 2 C

MDI Series III July 20 E 1 E

Seguin Is. Trophy Race July 26-27 W, C 2 C

Downeast Challenge Race July 26-27 W, C 2 Any

HandyBoat Midsummer August 2 W 1 W

Camden-Castine Race August 2-3 C 2 C

MDI Series IV August 3 E 1 E

Monhegan August 9-10 W 2 W

Down East Race Week August 10-15 E 5 E

MS Regatta August 16 W 1 W

PHRF New Englands August 22-24 Overall 3 Any

Northeast Harbor Race August 29-31 W, C, E 2 Any

PYC Fall Series Sept. 13, 20, 27 W Only 3

Cat in the Hat says:

"Sailboat racing is an expensive sport - that's why more and more folks are staying home. As entry fees start going above $125 per event, I can see myself opting out of those races. I am already looking at next season and planning on trimming my participation."

This is a bad thing. We need to recognize that prices have moved up a lot in the last few years. I do understand the value that Regatta Promotions is bringing to many of the events but there is a group of boats that think like the Cat is. That is not good for the fleet.

Changing the Monhegan Race to the previous weekend would not be a big deal from a PYC perspective. I believe it had historically been that weekend anyway and was changed several years ago for reasons that escape me. There is no "sacred cow" in terms of scheduling other than doing it in a timely manner as to not interfere with other club operations. It should be a GMORA function to supply a suggested schedule based on input from all of the host clubs.

Getting GMORA and the clubs to sit down and work out the schedule is not as easy as it sounds. Each club has a representative to the GMORA board, and I can say with 100% absolute certainty that while a couple clubs' reps actually show up at GMORA meetings, the majority do not. I don't even know my own club's representative well enough to pick him out of a line-up. :o

Case in point: Last year, the board member who volunteered to work with member clubs on the schedule tried like crazy to engage one or two of them. They wouldn't respond to phone calls and e-mails, much less show up at a meeting, so the schedule was arranged without their input. You can only imagine what happened once the schedule came out. While race dates may not be sacred cows to all the clubs, they are to some.

Hey -- just occurred to me that talking about the schedule is just like class breaks. No matter what you do, someone's gonna be PO'ed. :)

FWIW, I would love to see a couple point-to-points worked into the schedule to at least give the deliveries some sort of meaning. Right now deliveries are nothing but a PITA.

Getting GMORA and the clubs to sit down and work out the schedule is not as easy as it sounds. Each club has a representative to the GMORA board, and I can say with 100% absolute certainty that while a couple clubs' reps actually show up at GMORA meetings, the majority do not. I don't even know my own club's representative well enough to pick him out of a line-up. :o

Case in point: Last year, the board member who volunteered to work with member clubs on the schedule tried like crazy to engage one or two of them. They wouldn't respond to phone calls and e-mails, much less show up at a meeting, so the schedule was arranged without their input. You can only imagine what happened once the schedule came out. While race dates may not be sacred cows to all the clubs, they are to some.

Hey -- just occurred to me that talking about the schedule is just like class breaks. No matter what you do, someone's gonna be PO'ed. :)

FWIW, I would love to see a couple point-to-points worked into the schedule to at least give the deliveries some sort of meaning. Right now deliveries are nothing but a PITA.

F' em... No rep, no points for thier races. GIGO like the geeks say...

G

F' em... No rep, no points for thier races. GIGO like the geeks say...

G

um, well, yea, but, GMORA would run out of races to score pretty fast.

We could say - first one to 100 Rinderle Points wins and take the rest of the season off.

It's funny to me as I try to apply reality to some of the comments. "We need more boats at the regattas." "We should add more races." "We can have more than one race on a weekend." Spreading ourselves a little thin there.

If I was driving this bus it would be called "If it ain't fun, why do it?". If you build it fun, they will come (unless it's too darn expensive).

Spreading ourselves a little thin there.
Well, I'm still a relative newbie here, but I don't think we need more races -- if anything maybe there are too many races already; rather perhaps we just need to focus on the right races:
.....If you build it fun, they will come (unless it's too darn expensive).

of course, fun for one person is not necessarily the same as fun for somebody else

So here's a question for your survey, stickboy, "what makes sailboat racing fun for you?"

We could say - first one to 100 Rinderle Points wins and take the rest of the season off.

It's funny to me as I try to apply reality to some of the comments. "We need more boats at the regattas." "We should add more races." "We can have more than one race on a weekend." Spreading ourselves a little thin there.

If I was driving this bus it would be called "If it ain't fun, why do it?". If you build it fun, they will come (unless it's too darn expensive).

Maybe (and I'm talking out my ass here [what's new]), more isn't less in this case, but more is more... I mean, might gmora get more participation if there were more scored races? Two, three, four in some places on ::gasp:: the same weekend... Might get more locals out if more of their club races were scored... It's not like a shit ton of them are traveling a lot anyway (present company excluded). Or I could be totally wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Unrelatedly, I was being somewhat facetious with my last comment...

AND, irregardless, I'm still not a gmora member, so f' me too.

G

I don't understand what is wrong with having more boats at a regatta...If we replace "bad regattas" with good regattas or coordinate with other areas to drive up participation at our events I'm not sure whats wrong with that.

Let's just say we were able to get the smuttynose regatta schedualed on top of Merle's little regatta and Camden would that really be spreading us any thiner then we already are? While it may look that way I don't think it would. People are going to pick what works for them. Boats that dont want to travel will stay in Portland , Boats that traverl atre going to go to the regatta they think will provide what they want in a regatta. In the above senerio I would lobby Bandito, Hank and The MMA boat to go down south. Alot of "Ifs" i know...

If we put a man on the moon we should be able to get in touch with yacht club represatives.

BTW nice job down at PHRFs. We got smoked by some Mainers in our class.

My 2 cents....

You guys are lucky to still have quality sailing on the weekends. Do whatever you can to preserve it and make it work.

In my neck of the woods, we have BBR and PHRFs and then a bunch of shit regattas and few boats do both BBR and PHRFs - it blows so everyone tries to kill each other on the weekdays and take the weekends off. F-that.

Stealy OUT!

I have to agree with Stealy. GMORA has alot of weekend racing. As a previous active member in PSA down in portsmouth, weeknights were all the rage and very little weekend racing during the summer. There is the Summutynose and that's about it. Now if you look at their schedule they have added a few weekend doublehanded's etc.

Also look at the participation in the Smuttynose. If you drop out the J105s, only 15 boats between racing and cruising class. In racing PHRF ratings varied from 80's (C&C 41) to 180's. That kinds sucks.

Four years ago we came up for the MS regatta and the following year for the Monhegan. We like racing on the weekends. Now I know we have been unable to participate much yet but the plan is to do more. First, kick the family off the boat and second,stay away from lightning.

I wasn't at the Camden-Castine event but from what people said on this forum, not a great event. So why go to an event where the sponsoring club doesn't care. If so lets go to Portsmouth for the weekend. Good people, fun location, and great hospitality. If several of the big boats will go, I'm in.

I wasn't at the Camden-Castine event but from what people said on this forum, not a great event. So why go to an event where the sponsoring club doesn't care. If so lets go to Portsmouth for the weekend. Good people, fun location, and great hospitality. If several of the big boats will go, I'm in.

could even keep it as a destination race.

Portland to Portsmouth Sat.

Portsmouth to Portland Sun.

than the Portsmouth boats stick around Maine for a week and we sucker them into doing Monhegan.

could even keep it as a destination race.

Portland to Portsmouth Sat.

Portsmouth to Portland Sun.

than the Portsmouth boats stick around Maine for a week and we sucker them into doing Monhegan.

Portland to Portsmouth starting at 1100 on Friday

Portsmouth to Portland at 1100 on Monday

Stick a regatta in the middle and then you've got something folks could put on their calendar for next summer. Hell, you've got to deliver the boat anyway...

Point to point races should have awards for both double-handed racing and cruising (don't need separate classes, start 'em with the fully crewed boats). Low cost, just first place trophies (could just be a bottle of Mt Gay {purchased in NH of course}) for Racing, DH Racing, Cruising, DH Cruising. That put's the total budget at less than $100.

I'm in....

Stick a regatta in the middle and then you've got something folks could put on their calendar for next summer. Hell, you've got to deliver the boat anyway...

Point to point races should have awards for both double-handed racing and cruising (don't need separate classes, start 'em with the fully crewed boats). Low cost, just first place trophies (could just be a bottle of Mt Gay {purchased in NH of course}) for Racing, DH Racing, Cruising, DH Cruising. That put's the total budget at less than $100.

I'm in....

Stick a couple of drinks in this and you are REALLY talking, Spuds.

Stick a couple of drinks in this and you are REALLY talking, Spuds.

Drinks? No problem...

How about this?

Pursuit format, start outside Hussey Sound (at the green gong). Low rater would be the RC (just hover around the mark and tell 'em to GO!)

I'm in....

Now we're talking!

Keep in mind, we all have our challenges. This is why I'm making the survey.

For some the bucks are the big factor, for some chasing crew. For us the time off is a challenge so taking 2 vacation days for a weekend regatta would be a problem. I'm not saying it's a bad idea and I would absolutely support it, I just couldn't participate myself.

Oh, and that's a 50 mile race. Starting at 11:00. With a big start the next morning.... 30 footers need not apply.

But I really like the idea of racing to the next regatta. We should really look into feeders like NE Harbor race to PHRF in NE Harbor, feed Camden Castine, feed to Boothbay.... C Koch put something together like that, I just haven't looked into the details yet.

The feeder races could be scored differently then the regular races. A separate combined catagory with it own end of the year award. That way it would not effect local boats not traveling. Kind of a gentleman's informal race.

I find moving the boat around to be boring. Usually limited time and people to get from A to B. A little race action would liven it up.

If it becomes complicated no one will do it.

Several ways it could be done

1. Pursuit race with fastest boat (last to start) and gov. mark as the start. First to arrive wins.

2. On your own. Mark your time when you pass the start and when you arrive. Turn in time results to figure out who won. Allows everyone to start whenever they want, obviously within a stated time frame.

3. Get a group to go at the same time. Set up as a simple distance race.

I personally like pursuit races because everyone has a vested interest in keeping the boat going fast. The guys with the low PHRF's are trying the real in the front while the high PHRF boats are trying to stay ahead. The finish is always interesting,

Just my 2 cents

The Maine Rocks Race this past weekend was, overall, a real blast.

The wind varied from zero to 30+ knots over the 32 or so hours that it took us to sail the approx. 112 nm course. It took us almost 24 hours to get out to Mt. Desert Rock, but then only about 8 hours or so to get back!

Friday evening we gathered at the Rockland Yacht Club's new digs for good beer, a scrumptious dinner, and the skipper's meeting. About half the fleet were racing singlehanded, the rest of us doublehanded.

The start was at 10:00 on Saturday inside Rockland Harbor. We beat out of the harbor into a light easterly. After getting around Owl's Head and Monroe Island, the fleet put up spinnakers, but then the breeze went forward and died - we on Greyhawk got stuck in a wind hole, while most of the other boats pulled ahead. We beat down past Matinicus in a light southerly (with lots of holes). The sun set, the moon rose, and then as we approached Matinicus Rock the fog came in. In the wee hours of Sunday morning we spent a lot of time slatting in no wind, being set to the south-south-west (the wrong way!) at up to 1.5 knots by current. Unfortunately it was about 300 feet deep so anchoring wasn't really an option. Eventually the breeze started to fill in from the southeast and we sailed close hauled on starboard tack out to Mt. Desert Rock. On the way back, the breeze built for some nice beam reaching and then clocked a bit, so by the time we reached Matinicus Rock again we were close reaching in about 20 knots. We had too much sail up, really, but it was only another hour till we would turn the corner.... Turning up into Penobscot Bay, we were running downwind in 4-6 foot choppy waves (the tide was coming out, apparently). At one point we saw 30 knots apparent wind on the anemometer (this while going downwind)! We had one surf that registered 11.6 knots GPS speed! Good times, indeed! We were sailing with main and 135 on port tack trying to keep the apparent wind angle at 150, but the finish was dead down wind, so we had to gybe (also to avoid hitting rocks). To simplify the maneuver, we rolled up the jib so we only had to manage the main. After that first gybe we decided to sail under just the main, 'cause we could sail closer to DDW and seemed to be going just as fast (or at least we thought our VMG would be better). Then we rolled out a bit of jib and sheeted it tight with both sheets to help stabilize the boat -- if we got caught by the lee, the jib would back and help push the bow around to keep us on the proper side of the wind.

We finished just after 6:00 PM last night in the dying light and settling fog.

There were 10 boats entered, only 9 of which started, and 8 of which finished. We were the fourth boat to finish and 7th on corrected time (the slower rated boats did better in this one; time-on-time handicapping, too). But the racing was really very close, with the 8th place boat less then 10% off the pace.

I don't know what happened to the DNF boat, but of the finishers, one boat broke their boom in a crash gybe, and one boat blew their mainsail to tatters in the strong breeze.

Greyhawk's only carnage was a hat and a pair of sunglasses lost overboard...

Results:

BOAT SKIPPER PHRF FINISH ELAPSED CORRECTED (decimal hours)

Jeroboam Green 187 18:26:12 32.437 28.608

Williwaw Duym 186 18:24:06 32.402 28.616

Panacea McCrea 186 20:16:30 34.275 30.27

Adhara Jones 93 15:58:58 29.983 30.309

Walkabout Pope 132 17:50:58 31.849 30.355

Blue Bird Stringos 168 19:43:10 33.719 30.526

Greyhawk Allen 123 18:03:28 32.058 30.962

Mainstay5 Coughlin 84 16:40:00 30.667 31.44

Pegasus Fisher 117 DNF

Glory Cushman 165 DNS

First to finish award goes to Adhara/Patrick Jones.

The Francis Stokes Award, best corrected time for a single hander, goes to Jeroboam/Jonathan Green.

Best corrected time for a family crew goes to Williwaw/Rusty Duym and his brother

Thanks to Doug Pope for organizing this event!

Any info on why Whiplash has the cover off in the yard @ Casey's????

I dead reckon their are some theories as to why...

Sold? SYC Junior Foundation owns it so that would be great news for the kids.

Fall detail? Ted always took great care of it so it would be smart to keep it shiny.

Or... maybe just airing out the inevitable mid-80s J35 "humid" balsa? :)

The feeder races could be scored differently then the regular races. A separate combined catagory with it own end of the year award. That way it would not effect local boats not traveling. Kind of a gentleman's informal race.

I find moving the boat around to be boring. Usually limited time and people to get from A to B. A little race action would liven it up.

If it becomes complicated no one will do it.

Several ways it could be done

1. Pursuit race with fastest boat (last to start) and gov. mark as the start. First to arrive wins.

2. On your own. Mark your time when you pass the start and when you arrive. Turn in time results to figure out who won. Allows everyone to start whenever they want, obviously within a stated time frame.

3. Get a group to go at the same time. Set up as a simple distance race.

I personally like pursuit races because everyone has a vested interest in keeping the boat going fast. The guys with the low PHRF's are trying the real in the front while the high PHRF boats are trying to stay ahead. The finish is always interesting,

Just my 2 cents

I would love to have a whole series of point-to-points. Might get some of the cruisers/families out there. It sure could poke a hole in the oft-heard excuse "racing is stupid because all you do is go around the buoys and you don't go anywhere."

Get out there, take your times, gather at some place after the finish (or raft up) for food and libations. Bottle of Mt. Gay to the winner.

I would love to have a whole series of point-to-points. Might get some of the cruisers/families out there. It sure could poke a hole in the oft-heard excuse "racing is stupid because all you do is go around the buoys and you don't go anywhere."

Get out there, take your times, gather at some place after the finish (or raft up) for food and libations. Bottle of Mt. Gay to the winner.

That sounds like a great series. CYC would definitely get behind that style of racing.

I think it is called "Down East Race Week"

I've not done it (yet), but the Sailing Instructions I saw match your description pretty well...

http://www.downeastraceweek.com/08_SI_final.pdf

SOLD and on the way to Cali-

take that to the bank-

kitty out.

Hey Kitty, I didn't think they let 35s into California anymore? Something about environmental concerns? hehehe Hope they got a good deal, that shipping with $5/gal diesel on the way is gonna hurt!

I think it is called "Down East Race Week"

I've not done it (yet), but the Sailing Instructions I saw match your description pretty well...

http://www.downeastraceweek.com/08_SI_final.pdf

Well sort of... except I'm thinking of something I wouldn't have to take a whole week off for. Besides, would they let derelict boats like ours crewed by low life bottom feeding scum like ourselves hob-knob with the fine yots from the local Morris and Hinckley yards and all the pretty new J/100s? I feel a little out-classed. :)

Are you working on the Sarah Palin campaign---meoooow?

miss you

You know it baby... she hunts, rides snowmachines and knows how to do a Mexican douse on a Melges (OK, I made that up but you know she could if asked!), how could I resist?

Ian just gave a report to his class about his summer, racing with Kitty was at the top of the list!

You know it baby... she hunts, rides snowmachines and knows how to do a Mexican douse on a Melges (OK, I made that up but you know she could if asked!), how could I resist?

Ian just gave a report to his class about his summer, racing with Kitty was at the top of the list!

NICE! next year I want him all summer- he'll get me through the central maine death trap!

Cat in the Hat says:

"Sailboat racing is an expensive sport - that's why more and more folks are staying home. As entry fees start going above $125 per event, I can see myself opting out of those races. I am already looking at next season and planning on trimming my participation."

This is a bad thing. We need to recognize that prices have moved up a lot in the last few years. I do understand the value that Regatta Promotions is bringing to many of the events but there is a group of boats that think like the Cat is. That is not good for the fleet.

Please note Regatta Promotions does not set the entry fees for regattas. All the "expense" paid to regatta promotions is subsidized by the sponsors. Those sponsors actually increase the working budget of the event to promote the event, get better trophies, hire a band, pay for a portion of the food - drink etc... I think you will find that entry fees have increased since the prices of everything in this world are increasing and if you had to deal with a budget that couldn't lose any money (since yacht clubs and sailing organizations aren't willing to use their dues to pay for "your" fun) you would find it very difficult.

That being said the clubs I am currently working with are looking into ways to control their costs, and keep prices the same or lower than last year. This may mean less "event" type activities such as free drinks, entertainment and food.

I am sure I or any of the club race officers would welcome any of your constructive criticism and feedback.

Please note that I don't check SA very often(as this is my first post since last winter) and would appreciate any feedback in the form of email directly to me.

Sincerely,

Carter White

Regatta Promotions

Please note Regatta Promotions does not set the entry fees for regattas. All the "expense" paid to regatta promotions is subsidized by the sponsors. Those sponsors actually increase the working budget of the event to promote the event, get better trophies, hire a band, pay for a portion of the food - drink etc... I think you will find that entry fees have increased since the prices of everything in this world are increasing and if you had to deal with a budget that couldn't lose any money (since yacht clubs and sailing organizations aren't willing to use their dues to pay for "your" fun) you would find it very difficult.

That being said the clubs I am currently working with are looking into ways to control their costs, and keep prices the same or lower than last year. This may mean less "event" type activities such as free drinks, entertainment and food.

I am sure I or any of the club race officers would welcome any of your constructive criticism and feedback.

Please note that I don't check SA very often(as this is my first post since last winter) and would appreciate any feedback in the form of email directly to me.

Sincerely,

Carter White

Regatta Promotions

It's my opinion that Regatta Promotions has brought a lot of professionalism to our events.

They have made them more accessable through pictures and mass mailings.

They have made them more fun with gear and booze.

They have made them more immediate through quick and reliable scoring.

Professional race management is the wave of the present.

Believe me, we couldn't go back to the old way.

There are just not enough volunteers in existance to make that happen.

We know what it is like to go to a bush league events and we don't likie it.

We are very lucky in Maine to have our sport as organized as it is.

My hat's off to Gamora and the clubs that make it happen as well.

It's not easy to run this stuff. It takes time, organization, committment and experience.

Thanks for the effort all you guys put into it.

It's my opinion that Regatta Promotions has brought a lot of professionalism to our events.

They have made them more accessable through pictures and mass mailings.

They have made them more fun with gear and booze.

They have made them more immediate through quick and reliable scoring.

Professional race management is the wave of the present.

Believe me, we couldn't go back to the old way.

There are just not enough volunteers in existance to make that happen.

We know what it is like to go to a bush league events and we don't likie it.

We are very lucky in Maine to have our sport as organized as it is.

My hat's off to Gamora and the clubs that make it happen as well.

It's not easy to run this stuff. It takes time, organization, committment and experience.

Thanks for the effort all you guys put into it.

Just so you know,

RP may help with scoring from time to time but that is not one of the core services offered. Scoring is the responsibility of the event organizer and their designated Race Committee. Posting is the responsibilty of GMORA. The event organizer may also post results if they have the means to.

Navy

Sincerely,

Carter White

Regatta Promotions

You know... ditching the free booze would probably be a big time money maker... Hell, you could probably subsidize a decent regatta if you just charged me for booze.

G

Upon tidying up the boat after a hugely unsuccessful quest for glory in Yesterday's Moore Trophy/Lightship Race, I found the source of our misfortune. A banana had been brought aboard. As well, although not appearing to be that old, the banana was probably the cause of all the unfortunate weather in August (for which I apologize to my fellow sailors). None of my crew aedmits to this dastardly deed. While difficult to fathom among the corinthian group of Gulf of Maine sailors, could this banana have been "planted" by one of our competitors? Who would stoop so low?