Gulf of maine scuttlebut

Who says there's no sailing on TV? The Portland High School sailing team hosted the Bulldog Classic Regatta today at SailMaine. Channel 6 was filming for the 6 o'clock news (hopefully). Let me know if you see it.

G

Okay. I saw it. It was awesome... And if you don't blink you might even catch a glimpse of my beautiful mug (seriously, you have to not blink to catch it). Link here. Also got a mention on Fox, might be on 13 news at 11 too...

G

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Who says there's no sailing on TV? The Portland High School sailing team hosted the Bulldog Classic Regatta today at SailMaine. Channel 6 was filming for the 6 o'clock news (hopefully). Let me know if you see it.

G

Okay. I saw it. It was awesome... And if you don't blink you might even catch a glimpse of my beautiful mug (seriously, you have to not blink to catch it). Link here. Also got a mention on Fox, might be on 13 news at 11 too...

G

They did a nice job with the coverage... I was pleasantly surprised. And I had to watch that video twice to catch G's mug. Actually had to pause it! :)

Any interest of having another Rum night out within the next few weeks? I'd have a party at my new place but it's so small that I could only have 3 of you over at the same time. So maybe a Grittys night?? I've got to do something that resembles a social event. Any ideas?? (but any 3 of you are welcome to come visit me at anytime...just let me know) k

Volvo Ocean Race will be in the Gulf of Maine about two weeks!

Race is routed north around the Georges Bank the SW down the Maine and New Hampshire coast.

Finish in Boston Harbor at Fan Pier

VORfinish.pdf

It appears that the VOR racers may get to experience the 'horrors' of part of the last leg of the Monhegan Island Race... :o (This may not be a good way to promote Gulf of Maine Sailing.)

Race is routed north around the Georges Bank the SW down the Maine and New Hampshire coast.

VORfinish.pdf

It appears that the VOR racers may get to experience the 'horrors' of part of the last leg of the Monhegan Island Race... :o (This may not be a good way to promote Gulf of Maine Sailing.)

Northern tip of the exclusion zone looks like it is almost due east (true) of Cape Elizabeth (43 Deg 30 Min N , 69 Deg 30 Min W) right on the lower left corner of chart 13288. Does anyone have the actual coordinates?

• 2 weeks later...
post-5090-1240358434_thumb.jpg

Oh, My god!

OMG, did we miss a party!

Was this anything to do with your 44th?

Pretty sure that didn't taste like chicken.

Bite off the hard end there, big guy.

But make sure you keep it tied down.

That there is a (no shit) $1200 ham.

G

Oh, My god!

G

give yourself more credit than that G. your worth at least twice that. :P

Oh, My god!

G

give yourself more credit than that G. your worth at least twice that. :P

::clap:: Out of the park.

G

Trivia question of the week:

Who won the Dirigo Bowl in 2002? I'm trying to complete a list of past winners for the yearbook and 2002 is the only year missing.

Through various sources, inccluding the keeper of the bowl this year, I've been able to gather the winners for every year from 1993 on.

But solid data on the 2002 is elusive. The 2003 Maine Yacht Racing yearbook has a couple references to Bandito being the "overall winner," and one of those references specifies she won Class A. But there is nothing definitive that says Bandoto won the Dirigo Bowl. Black Owl won B and Cat's Paw won C.

If anyone can provide a Dirigo Bowl winner for 2002 and cite a credible source, you will have my undying gratitude. I might even buy you a beer or rum drink or three.

Don't know how credible my memory is but I'm 99% sure Bandito won that year.

Yo ho ho all you Rummys! Goddess of Cheap Rum bringing you the New Hampshire liquor store update. :D

Earth Day week long special includes:

Handle of Mt Gay for 21.99 ($6 off their regular price) through Sunday 4/26. Additional perk - spend $75 or more and get a $10 gift card for your next visit. Also ends 4/26. Contact your navigator to help with the math if you need to. ;)

Let the good times roll!

VORfinish.pdf

Northern tip of the exclusion zone looks like it is almost due east (true) of Cape Elizabeth (43 Deg 30 Min N , 69 Deg 30 Min W) right on the lower left corner of chart 13288. Does anyone have the actual coordinates?

"h. Boston exclusion

zone (BEZ) 41° 00.000'N 069° 05.000'W No physical mark

i. BEZ 41° 39.552'N 067° 59.087'W No physical mark

j. BEZ 42° 09.000'N 067° 08.000'W No physical mark

k. BEZ 42° 28.231'N 067° 10.771'W No physical mark

Sailing Instruction Leg 6 Addendum 8th April 2009

Copyright: Volvo Event Management UK Ltd.

2009 2

l. BEZ 43° 02.710'N 068° 16.932'W No physical mark

m. BEZ 43° 32.053'N 069° 20.673'W No physical mark

n. BEZ 43° 04.762'N 069° 54.800'W No physical mark

o. BEZ 42° 35.762'N 070° 28.909'W No physical mark

p. BEZ 42° 12.000'N 070° 30.000'W No physical mark

q. BEZ 42° 04.000'N 070° 12.000'W No physical mark

r. Finish buoy 420 21.500N 0710 02.300W Volvo mark black and white

with an orange top

s. Fan Pier Finish 420 21.280N 0710 02.650W Pole with an orange flag on

shore"

Where you wearing it on a rope around your neck?

Jamon Iberico Bellota... Tasted like ham (actually it was exceptional, but I'm still not sure I can justify eating something with the price tag). The rope is just for hanging in the shop...

G

Actually, it sounds quite exotic and delicious.

Acorn fed ham.

Interesting link.

Think I might have also read about it, maybe in the NYT or something.

Yo ho ho all you Rummys! Goddess of Cheap Rum bringing you the New Hampshire liquor store update. :D

Handle of Mt Gay for 21.99 ($6 off their regular price) through Sunday 4/26. Additional perk - spend $75 or more and get a $10 gift card for your next visit. Also ends 4/26. Contact your navigator to help with the math if you need to. ;)

Let the good times roll!

We should hire a bus and make a party of it.

Sailors search for cheaper rum in New Hampshire.

Jamon Iberico Bellota... Tasted like ham (actually it was exceptional, but I'm still not sure I can justify eating something with the price tag). The rope is just for hanging in the shop...

G

Acorn fed ham.

Interesting link.

PS

See Junk of Pork lurking here.

Probably has a special interest in the topic.

Let the good times roll!

Hmmm... good, but not quite as good as last year's deal where we got handles for something like $12 apiece! Stick bought a case that time. That supply is depleted now -- drank most ourselves and shared one with others at one of G's cookouts. Mom lives about 15 minutes from the circle, so perhaps we should go visit?!

Let the good times roll!

Hmmm... good, but not quite as good as last year's deal where we got handles for something like $12 apiece! Stick bought a case that time. That supply is depleted now -- drank most ourselves and shared one with others at one of G's cookouts. Mom lives about 15 minutes from the circle, so perhaps we should go visit?!

I was on my way to a regatta in CT during that sale and my host asked me to bring him a couple of cases... I had to decline. I'm not sure there, but there's GOT to be some law about transporting untaxed, below wholesale liquor over state lines.

G

Let the good times roll!

I was on my way to a regatta in CT during that sale and my host asked me to bring him a couple of cases... I had to decline. I'm not sure there, but there's GOT to be some law about transporting untaxed, below wholesale liquor over state lines.

G

Not illegal for "personal" consumption as long as you pay your Maine Use Tax (ie Pay Cash). Remember, rum running has been a tradition amongst N.E. sailors since days of old.

Guy at the 95 North store told me (during our $12 rum run last year) that Maine had stopped posting unmarked state police in the parking lot after NH started arresting them for unlawful surveillance.

Live Free or Die!!!

Let the good times roll!

G

That always seems to be part of the urban myth, but I've never known it to happen.

Especially going south. Don't think Ct or Ma state police stake the place out. And why would a Maine guy folllw you to CT or even try to arrest you in NH.

There is a story that the Me state poice did stake the place out one time an the NH state police arrested them, for not having NH gun permits or something.

Protecting their own turf.

Anyway lots if trips down their and back, never saw any cops.

There's a reason the two biggest stores are on route 95.

Maybe someone knows a lot more about it than I do.

Let the good times roll!

G

Not illegal for "personal" consumption as long as you pay your Maine Use Tax (ie Pay Cash). Remember, rum running has been a tradition amongst N.E. sailors since days of old.

Guy at the 95 North store told me (during our $12 rum run last year) that Maine had stopped posting unmarked state police in the parking lot after NH started arresting them for unlawful surveillance.

Live Free or Die!!!

G- Grow a set, and next time I ask you to bring me rum, BRING IT!

If anyone has any info about the Maine Marine Trades Association, would they please PM me. I'm job hunting and hoping for some good info on the place and people. Thanks in advance.

G

Maine built boats-

Jane Wellehan is President.

Thanks Kitty

G

G

Acorn fed ham.

Interesting link.

PS

See Junk of Pork lurking here.

Probably has a special interest in the topic.

You were making me nervous but I don't eat acorns.

Hey everybody. Check out the link below for the Sail Maine Regatta home page.

Click.

The first regatta of the season. It is open to all boats. The Regatta will match Sail Maine high school, college and adult sailors with Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing, one-design and other boats.

And, there's going to be a fantastic pig roast in a big tent right on the water's edge in Portland harbor.

There will also be live music.

The event is generously subsidized by its supporters, so food, drnks, entertainment and SailMaine regalia, on sale, are all a very good deal.

You don't have to sail in the regatta to come to the party. Anyone interested in the Maine coast and maritime heritage is a stakeholder in Sail Maine, community sailing.

So, sign up now, come on down and enjoy the fun.

Ok!

Let's go out and celebrate, the new 'Rak and the new 'Rev.

Any others?

Next Thursday, May 14th, 6 o'clock, at Gritty's

Hey there's no free lunch. The recession, remember.

So, your 401K may look like shit.

Can't sell that money pit you live in.

And you're two payments behind on the Hummer.

But WTF, you got your friends.

And sailing is just around the corner.

So, come on down.

Get tuned up!

Get in trim.

No life jackets.

No protests,

And, no barfing 'til you cross the line.[[/size]font="Comic Sans MS"][/font]

Ok!

Any others?

So, come on down.

Get tuned up!

Get in trim.

No life jackets.

No protests,

An Excellent idea!!!!

I'm assuming Gritty's in Portland, not the luxurious suburb of Freeport?

Ok!

Any others?

So, come on down.

Get tuned up!

Get in trim.

No life jackets.

No protests,

An Excellent idea!!!!

Yup! Portland.

Ok!

Any others?

So, come on down.

Get tuned up!

Get in trim.

No life jackets.

No protests,

An Excellent idea!!!!

Yup! Portland.

Hey guys, don't forget Thursday night at Gritty's.

With a little luck

Sideshow and Selma

might show up

Doing a little product research!

Ok!

Any others?

So, come on down.

Get tuned up!

Get in trim.

No life jackets.

No protests,

An Excellent idea!!!!

Yup! Portland.

Hey guys, don't forget Thursday night at Gritty's.

With a little luck

Sideshow and Selma

might show up

Doing a little product research!

Mrs St88s and I will be there.

Killer first Thursday night at PYC last night. Steady in the teens with gusts into the 20's - big fun! Max: where were you guys!?!

Revolution: Baby steps...

Rig is now tight and tuned, sails have been up and we are ready for next Thur.

(Pray for no rain, wind over 12 knots, swarms of bees or poop throwing monkeys!) :0

You guys were cooking without even working hard. I wished I'd had my camera. I buzzed you thinking I did, then didn't...

Stickie - heard even you folded your tents and came home Mothra style. I'd have thought it'd be great sailing!

You guys were cooking without even working hard. I wished I'd had my camera. I buzzed you thinking I did, then didn't...

Stickie - heard even you folded your tents and came home Mothra style. I'd have thought it'd be great sailing!

Even great sailing can get a little old after a while... or after a certain hour of day. We kinda wanted to get home before dark. That, and we were beating the shit out of the sails and we can't let that happen!

Main came down at the mooring, thank you very much. But yes, the newly rebuilt A4 was much appreciated.

In all honesty the sailing was a bit uncomfortable. The dodger made it feel like going through a carwash. REALLY felt bad for the others without a dodger.

I'm glad everyone was out Monday, We had a nice run starting around noon or so. Flew the chute out of Portland Harbor with a nice W-SW 10 knots or so, it tweaked around a bit as we went down to Chebeague. The fun came in the Hussey as we slopped around as the wind went around to the N-NW and picked up from there. We had a nice run back through the inside. Winds around 15-20. We hit the mooring around 3 ish and saw the wind rise again - steady around 20+ gusts to 25.

The schooners were out and looked great - they loved the conditions. A great day for a sail.

FYI - Centerboard Regatta NOR & Registration forms are online. Sign up at the racing page here!

Saturday, June 13th - lots of fun, the band is back, and plenty of wind http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/style_emo...efault/wink.gif

Also CYC is starting their summer Wed Night race series this week - come on down and sail in the rain - it will be lots of fun! But seriously if any of you folks in the Portland Harbor area or up to Falmouth want to come down and race - you are more than welcome. Either get the info from the website above or PM me.

see you on the 13th!

Killer first Thursday night at PYC last night. Steady in the teens with gusts into the 20's - big fun! Max: where were you guys!?!

(Pray for no rain, wind over 12 knots, swarms of bees or poop throwing monkeys!) :0

Come on Max,

Strap one on and go raceing!

Ok I just log on to SA and the message below pops up on the screen. Milt are you sending me love letters??

Hello

My name is miss Victoria i saw your

profile today on(forums.sailinganarchy.com)and became interested

in you,i will also like to know more about you,and i want you to send a mail to

my email address so that i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am. i

believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address

above.Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters allot in

life. Please reply me with my email address here (goodluck.victorai@yahoo.co.uk)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN

YOURS VICTORIA.

Come on Max,

Hope to be there tonight if the weather co-ops!

Come on Max,

Hope to be there tonight if the weather co-ops!

I knew it was Thursday today because it was raining in Falmouth...

G

Yeah, but it's gonna be great next saturday, June 6 at the Sail Maine Regatta.

The perfect way to start the season.

Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Association PHRF boats with Sail Maine Community Sailing crews.

The PHRF boats get the chance to expand the sport and recruit new crew.

The Sail Maine Community Sailors get a step up from the 420's with an introduction to "big boat" sailing.

There's a waterfront tent, live music and a pig roast afterward.

Everybody is invited. You don't have to race.

Check out the Sail Maine Regatta website for info and registration, right here.

QUOTE Max Luff:

"Support Community Sailing in Maine!

SailMaine Regatta

Saturday, June 6th

Open to ALL sailboats -- no club membership or rating certificate required!

SailMaine will assign SailMaine sailors as crew on participating boats

based on experience, skills and preferences.

Great way to shake out the cobwebs after the long winter and

meetprospective crew for future races.

Post-race pig roast and

live music for a small fee!

OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

Proceeds raised through entry fees and dinner tickets will benefit the

SailMaine community sailing program.

FMI: www.sailmaineregatta.com

or 650-2085"

Ok I just log on to SA and the message below pops up on the screen. Milt are you sending me love letters??

Hello

life. Please reply me with my email address here (goodluck.victorai@yahoo.co.uk)

YOURS VICTORIA.

All women want soggy!

Thanks, Sideshow. There is nothing like a shakedown cruiswe in 25- 28 kts.

More runner please....

Exactly- not the right time of year to drop the rig

Come on Max,

47 degrees, cold showers and 10 to 14knots out of the east. Where was Snowbird and the Kittymobile? Only Revo and Keemah were crazy enough to be out there in that sh@t!

None the less, good sailing and time to start figuring out the new ride!

Hello

YOURS VICTORIA.

I hear that if you send her your bank account number she'll hook-up with you.

Anyone see the list of signups for SailMaine?

I think about 15. I think more will register on Friday afternoon before the skippers meeting that is to take place at SailMaine at 6pm once they realize it is going to be a such great weather this weekend. (NOAA: Temp. in the 60s: SAT - 20% chance of showers in the morning then clear : W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT.)

Anyone who has their boat in the water needs a swift kick in the arse if they are considering not sailing on Sat. The party is going to be awesome. - roasted pig - full bar - SIGN UP!

http://sailmaine.wowpages.com/Tab06_Racing...ineRegatta.html

Tomorrow is a new day?

Who's in?

Revo is in for the SailMaine Regatta and Massive pig roast!

FYI: Anyone can come down to SailMaine at 58 Fore St. at 6pm on Sat. the 6th and drink and eat pig! ($20 then $25 day of event) Benefits a good cause!

http://sailmaine.wowpages.com/Tab06_Racing...ineRegatta.html

IF you want to sail come on down by 6pm the Friday and register! (Skippers meeting at 6pm!)

Hell of a good day sailing at the SailMaine Regatta on Sat. Sunny and breezy! Three races completed with lots of grins! The first Annual SailMaine Regatta was a total success with a great Pig Roast, drinks and good band for post race festivities. Over twenty skilled high school sailors were introduced to big boat sailing! Good job!

Yesterday has to be one of the best race days I have had in a while. Great wind, good weather, and fun racing. I enjoyed having the SailMaine sailors on board and I hope they enjoyed being there. They certainly left smiling.

Was there anyone shooting video out there? I think there must have been some interesting footage as everyone rounded those marks throwing chutes left and right. We saw some fun flying spinnaker action at the roundings.

What happened with Div 1 and the first mark on the first course? Was it a case of follow the leader or a fleet mistake? For whatever it was, a chunk of Division 2 followed you guys, which allowed the folks who got it right to have some breathing room.

Sorry I missed the pig roast, my crew went and said it was a great time. This was a great event and I certainly hope they do it again next year.

See you next week at Centerboard!