Gulf of maine scuttlebut

C Koch, et al - I entered the times at C-C, so any error is mine, but we put in course lengths, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I don't have sailwave - was using CYC's laptop. If someone - Stickboy? - can get me a copy or lend me a laptop with the software, I'll key it in.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Ha! You did miss out.

The weather forecast for NW to W winds missed the strong heating of the land and consequent development of a S to SE sea breeze which went the around to the Northeast (strongly) as the low pressure trough helped the cumulus clouds coalesce into thunderstorms that developed and move through just after most of the fleets exited the Hussey. I guess the Manana fleet got hit hard by that. The clouds were definitely a factor, with some significant wind holes under some of them. The ones that were raining had some strong downbursts, which were advantageous IF you were on the appropriate side of the system. Apparently at least one boat reported seeing a water funnel.

In the Seguin race, we stayed close to Cape Elizabeth and made tracks on the boats that went out -- even without spinnakers, we rounded the Wood Island buoy ahead of some of the double-handed racing boats which started 30 minutes before us! Around 5:00 PM (where we were), the NE winds went suddenly and strongly to NW (my instrument system recorded gusts to 25 knots), which made for a fast close reach to Seguin -- actually a bit much for us doublehanded, we reefed and un-reefed the main three times on that reach -- and then a fairly fast beat (one tack for us) back to Portland Head. I guess the wind started to subside in the wee hours of Saturday morning, but fortunately we had already finished by then. I don't know what things were like for the Manana and Monhegan boats, although we saw them straggling in all through the morning.

The Finish Line Committee refused to score CCCourage, because the spotters thought they saw the boat pass the BR"D" buoy to port rather than to starboard (or course, this was at about 1:00 AM). It was very interesting to listen to the exchanges on the radio, each transmission by one party followed by a long pregnant pause before the other party responded (as you could tell they were scrambling to read their sailing instructions or decide how to respond). The Committee just said "Read your Sailing Instructions" and that they couldn't tell CCCourage anymore than that because to do so would be giving them an unfair advantage. Apparently CCCourage filed for redress and was able to present their GPS track which showed that they had indeed passed the finish buoy on the correct side. Anyway, it was quite dramatic and suspenseful.

As we were motoring back to Boothbay on Saturday morning, we heard Snowbird finishing and filing a protest against 5 of the 8 boats in their fleet, apparently for failing to report their mark rounding times at the Monhegan buoy. But of course, VHF won't carry from Monhegan all the way back to Portland, and it might be awhile before you get cell phone coverage (if you even have a phone with you), and the SI's just say to report your rounding time "as soon as possible after rounding," which of course might not be until you finish, so the protest was thrown out.

Also, one of the boats had a crew member who died in his sleep during his off watch.

Other than that sad note, there was really some great racing.

I was happy to get through my first full Monhegan (Seguin). We tried two years ago, and ripped our genoa about 20 minutes into it.

We really thought we were doing well when we (Figment) were third around the Wood Island buoy just behind Greyhawk, but we ended up getting killed after that and ended up 7th. The crew had a great time, though. Our first overnight race together.

After about 4 hours of sleep, I decided to do the return delivery on Saturday. It was another glorious day, but a long beat back to Kittery. Slept like a baby last night!

We heard the frantic conversation between the skipper of Beagle and the CG on 16 about the deceased crew member as we were heading out on our way home. Very sad news.

Hell of a weekend. Hope to see some of you at Smuttynose next weekend.

Ha! You did miss out.

The weather forecast for NW to W winds missed the strong heating of the land and consequent development of a S to SE sea breeze which went the around to the Northeast (strongly) as the low pressure trough helped the cumulus clouds coalesce into thunderstorms that developed and move through just after most of the fleets exited the Hussey. I guess the Manana fleet got hit hard by that. The clouds were definitely a factor, with some significant wind holes under some of them. The ones that were raining had some strong downbursts, which were advantageous IF you were on the appropriate side of the system. Apparently at least one boat reported seeing a water funnel.

In the Seguin race, we stayed close to Cape Elizabeth and made tracks on the boats that went out -- even without spinnakers, we rounded the Wood Island buoy ahead of some of the double-handed racing boats which started 30 minutes before us! Around 5:00 PM (where we were), the NE winds went suddenly and strongly to NW (my instrument system recorded gusts to 25 knots), which made for a fast close reach to Seguin -- actually a bit much for us doublehanded, we reefed and un-reefed the main three times on that reach -- and then a fairly fast beat (one tack for us) back to Portland Head. I guess the wind started to subside in the wee hours of Saturday morning, but fortunately we had already finished by then. I don't know what things were like for the Manana and Monhegan boats, although we saw them straggling in all through the morning.

The Finish Line Committee refused to score CCCourage, because the spotters thought they saw the boat pass the BR"D" buoy to port rather than to starboard (or course, this was at about 1:00 AM). It was very interesting to listen to the exchanges on the radio, each transmission by one party followed by a long pregnant pause before the other party responded (as you could tell they were scrambling to read their sailing instructions or decide how to respond). The Committee just said "Read your Sailing Instructions" and that they couldn't tell CCCourage anymore than that because to do so would be giving them an unfair advantage. Apparently CCCourage filed for redress and was able to present their GPS track which showed that they had indeed passed the finish buoy on the correct side. Anyway, it was quite dramatic and suspenseful.

As we were motoring back to Boothbay on Saturday morning, we heard Snowbird finishing and filing a protest against 5 of the 8 boats in their fleet, apparently for failing to report their mark rounding times at the Monhegan buoy. But of course, VHF won't carry from Monhegan all the way back to Portland, and it might be awhile before you get cell phone coverage (if you even have a phone with you), and the SI's just say to report your rounding time "as soon as possible after rounding," which of course might not be until you finish, so the protest was thrown out.

Also, one of the boats had a crew member who died in his sleep during his off watch.

Other than that sad note, there was really some great racing.

Doesn't it just figure that the year we sit it out turns out to be one of the fastest in recent history? Hopefully the organizers will come to their senses and move the start back to Saturday. Between limited vacation time in general, and/or the need to cover for vacationing co-workers (both of those factors kept us off the line), some of us just can't take that Friday off.

My heart goes out to Nat, his crew, and his crewmember's loved ones. Nat is our mooring neighbor, a really good guy, and a great sailor.

So what's the scoop from the weekend. Seemed like good weather and wind? I heard the start had wind clocking around a bit? Any good stories? Sorry I missed out.

It was a nice ride for the multihulls on the Monhegan course- the easterly switch (and is sure was a switch for us) let us light the afterburner and put us at Cape Neddick at 5 pm ahead of everyone (first time first to that mark for us, usually the role of Faamu Saami or a big Class A boat). We headed back inside figuring the strong NW forecast had to come through at some time, and it kicked in again for us off Biddeford Pool. We blew out the furler on our screecher which meant a flying clusterf*#k takedown and no option to reset, which cost us a little when the wind went light at times coming in to Monhegan, but we still rounded at 12:01. A long starboard tack and one hitch had us finishing at dawn. Our kind of breeze.

Great moonrise, great breeze, fun race. I'm actually a fan of the Friday start idea- easier for me to plan on a day off than have to scramble if the race runs long.

Condolences to all on Beagle. I thought the mention at the Awards ceremony was well handled

Sincere condolences to crew, family, and friends of Beagle. I also think Jen handled the award ceremony very well.

Based on feedback so far, I wouldn't count on the new format going away any time soon. The Sunday morning breakfast and award ceremony at PYC was glorious. Hats off to Jen, Mark, Molly, Carter...et al. for putting on a fantastic event.

this was my first monhegan is years, and i have to say we had a great time on tango despite missing the class win by 9 seconds!!!! in an 18 hour race!! it's moments like these that make you think about all the times you didn't hike as hard as you could or make that last tweak to the main, or got a little lazy about a sail change at 3am :) congratulations to apparition.

great wind (except for the big holes under the t-storms just after exiting hussy... ugh), great moon, great sailing. we were sorry not to be able to make the awards ceremony on sunday. also, i had no idea about the tragedy aboard beagle... condolences to family, crew and friends.

from our perspective, as a boat that had to travel for the race, the friday start was the only thing that made it possible. knowing that we could devote a solid 24-36 hours to the race without having to worry about not being able to do the delivery back etc. was a big deal. put another way, we'd rather know in advance that we will be taking friday off than wonder if we might have to take monday off.

thanks to everyone at pyc, gmora, etc. who made it possible. hope to see you next year!

ps shameless plug: for boats in the york to portland area, hope you will consider heading to biddeford pool for the windsong race on saturday of labor day weekend. it's traditionally been a small local race but we are trying to build it and now have participants from prouts and kennebunk. tango will be there, there is a recently purchased j105 in the mix, and also hopefully a corby 29. also a great cruising canvas division. please feel free to pm me for additional info. we'll do everything we can to welcome visiting boats at bpyc and make your visit well worth the trip!

Great race. Won class & overall on a J120...was pretty exhausted afterwards from going all night doing tactics, bow, crew direction, and 1/2 the driving. Didn't sleep a wink...until a great nap at home Saturday afternoon and then about 12hrs solid Sat. night. I must be getting old... :blink:

What a bummer on Beagle. :(

Great race. ...was pretty exhausted afterwards from going all night doing tactics, bow, crew direction, and 1/2 the driving. Didn't sleep a wink...until a great nap at home Saturday afternoon and then about 12hrs solid Sat. night. I must be getting old... :blink:

Sounds like our double-handed race! ;)

Great race. ...was pretty exhausted afterwards from going all night doing tactics, bow, crew direction, and 1/2 the driving. Didn't sleep a wink...until a great nap at home Saturday afternoon and then about 12hrs solid Sat. night. I must be getting old... :blink:

Sounds like our double-handed race! ;)

No kidding. We've done that more than a few times. Add navigation to our list as well. If you're really lucky, you get to drop anchor to keep from moving backwards. Most lasted way longer than this year's. Then we get to doublehand the delivery back home, then go to work on Monday. Somewhere in there there is an awards ceremony.

C Koch, et al - I entered the times at C-C, so any error is mine, but we put in course lengths, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I don't have sailwave - was using CYC's laptop. If someone - Stickboy? - can get me a copy or lend me a laptop with the software, I'll key it in.

sshow,

Where is my anchor and rode? Where is your MS Regatta entry. Need both soon.

Slight thread hijack.

This seems like as good a place as any to inquire about sailing in or around Bar Harbor. My wife and I with our 4 year old son will be in Bar Harbor from Sept 7 - 10. We're looking to get out for a sail in the area. There will be some other family around but they may or may not be interested in sailing like we are. Also my wife has said I can't do any racing. Any decent day charters or other anarchists cruising around? Suggestions for good watering holes and places to eat etc.. would be appreciated.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pedro

Slight thread hijack.

This seems like as good a place as any to inquire about sailing in or around Bar Harbor. My wife and I with our 4 year old son will be in Bar Harbor from Sept 7 - 10. We're looking to get out for a sail in the area. There will be some other family around but they may or may not be interested in sailing like we are. Also my wife has said I can't do any racing. Any decent day charters or other anarchists cruising around? Suggestions for good watering holes and places to eat etc.. would be appreciated.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pedro

Checkout-

Northeast Harbor

Southwest Harbor

Bass Harbor

Blue hill is a cool small town to checkout a couple of choices for good food.

Deer Island is a great place to check out.

Brooklin has a couple of inns with dinner menus, Centerharbor is a nice Harbor (close to Brooklin) with a cool and somewhat open boat building shop.

Wooden Boat School is also in Brooklin

Kollegewidgwok Yacht Club is a very hospitable club. link

I am sure a few more people will chime in on good options, I think Mango Man is known to drink in that area.

Anyone got MS Regatta Results?

Good day of sailing!

Outstanding day, and better wind than we were expecting. I've got an e-mail out seeking results. Hopefully they'll get posted on www.msmaine.org before too long.

Good day of sailing!

Outstanding day, and better wind than we were expecting. I've got an e-mail out seeking results. Hopefully they'll get posted on www.msmaine.org before too long.

Navy Jr. is trying to resolve one scoring issue before posting final results... RC may have made one mistake while being distracted by a drunken, lovesick swimmer with a suicide wish... and no, I don't have pictures.

from the top of my head

Racing A

Scarmouche

Family Wagon

Wiley

Beausoleil and Charsar were towards the back, Revo was up in the middle somewhere, and I am missing one or two folks.

Racing B

Seven

Black Sheep

Tamarack

Greyhound

Joy Robber

t'kela

Peregrine

Sunshine

Honalee

Knot a Clew

I can't begin to guess about cruising - I think the scoring issue was in Cruising 1 or 2?

It was a great day, one of the best of the summer. The parade was a lot of fun, pretty soon there will be a multi course meal being served by the various boats.

from the top of my head

Racing A

Scarmouche

Family Wagon

Wiley

Beausoleil and Charsar were towards the back, Revo was up in the middle somewhere, and I am missing one or two folks.

Racing B

Seven

Black Sheep

Tamarack

Greyhound

Joy Robber

t'kela

Peregrine

Sunshine

Honalee

Knot a Clew

I can't begin to guess about cruising - I think the scoring issue was in Cruising 1 or 2?

It was a great day, one of the best of the summer. The parade was a lot of fun, pretty soon there will be a multi course meal being served by the various boats.

The parade was a blast. We need to resurrect the water balloon fights from the past. It was hot on Saturday and having them in the mix would have been refreshing. :)

from the top of my head

Racing A

Scarmouche

Family Wagon

Wiley

Racing B

Seven

Black Sheep

Tamarack

Greyhound

Joy Robber

t'kela

Peregrine

Sunshine

Honalee

Knot a Clew

The parade was a blast. We need to resurrect the water balloon fights from the past. It was hot on Saturday and having them in the mix would have been refreshing. :)

I couldn't agree more. But, I thought that they were politically and enviromentaly incorrect.

from the top of my head

Racing A

Scarmouche

Family Wagon

Wiley

Racing B

Seven

Black Sheep

Tamarack

Greyhound

Joy Robber

t'kela

Peregrine

Sunshine

Honalee

Knot a Clew

I couldn't agree more. But, I thought that they were politically and enviromentaly incorrect.

Hmmmm.... compared to what? As for correctness, it's important to choose your target wisely. :)

Good day of sailing!

Navy Jr. is trying to resolve one scoring issue before posting final results... RC may have made one mistake while being distracted by a drunken, lovesick swimmer with a suicide wish... and no, I don't have pictures.

All those people onboard? Come on, someone HAS to have pictures. :blink: Man I would like to have seen that.

Good day of sailing!

This is final.

Congratulations to the winners. Many many thanks to all the participants. In particular to those who did secure a sponsor and to those that at least tried to secure a sponsor. We know better than anyone how difficult it can be. So let us know how this could work better. Remember it's a fundraiser. Always has been, Always will be.

www.msmaine.org or www.gmora.org should have the results up soon.

Navy

PHRFs-

Big Dog Party is in!

Any room for me on the boat at PHRf's?

Woops sorry K2, I thought I had txted you back- I was planning on you. My girl will call your girl to arrange salary, dietary needs as well as the type of pillow you require.

We need help on the delivery back if you can...

We may have room for one more lucky anarchist...

PHRFs-

Big Dog Party is in!

Any room for me on the boat at PHRf's?

Woops sorry K2, I thought I had txted you back- I was planning on you. My girl will call your girl to arrange salary, dietary needs as well as the type of pillow you require.

We need help on the delivery back if you can...

We may have room for one more lucky anarchist...

:unsure:

And if you're not going to Marblehead..

Who's in for the Maine Rocks Race?

Greyhawk is in :ph34r:

If you're not going to Marblehead you are a girly-boy.

Really? 113 miles double handed? Girly-boy?

Yeah the girly-boy comment sounds kind of funny coming from a guy who wears pink shorts! :ph34r: Pink, Breton red, mauve, they're all the same. :)

Didn't you get the memo? The only real racing is windward/leeward, on one-mile legs, on fully-crewed boats, around blow-up marks, prefereably with the wind velocity within a strictly defined range. If the wind direction shifts more than five degrees and puts the line/course off a strict W/L, they should postpone/abandon the race and start over. :rolleyes:

Then they go ashore and sleep in a nice comfy bed at night because they're too girly-boy to sleep on the boat! :ph34r:

And if you're not going to Marblehead..

Who's in for the Maine Rocks Race?

Greyhawk is in :ph34r:

If you're not going to Marblehead you are a girly-boy.

Really? 113 miles double handed? Girly-boy?

Yeah the girly-boy comment sounds kind of funny coming from a guy who wears pink shorts! :ph34r: Pink, Breton red, mauve, they're all the same. :)

Didn't you get the memo? The only real racing is windward/leeward, on one-mile legs, on fully-crewed boats, around blow-up marks, prefereably with the wind velocity within a strictly defined range. If the wind direction shifts more than five degrees and puts the line/course off a strict W/L, they should postpone/abandon the race and start over. :rolleyes:

Then they go ashore and sleep in a nice comfy bed at night because they're too girly-boy to sleep on the boat! :ph34r:

Well now, shame on me for wanting to sail with the best in the area. Shame on me for having a boat that noone would want to sleep on because it is void of all creature comforts to improve its performance. Shame on me for not wanting to reach around a course like Thurson Howell III and Lovey going to sea.

I've raced the boat in 30 kts as well as 0 knots. We have been the "last boat standing" waiting to race in more than one regatta.

I did get a memo...

Well now, shame on me for wanting to sail with the best in the area. ...

FWIW, I got the point... :P:rolleyes:

BTW, How can we get more of these supposed hot-shots from away to come up to more races in the Gulf of Maine -- like they apparently used to?

(My boat used to be based in Marblehead back when she was the hot new thing 28 years ago, and from what her old crew has told me, she used to race at Boothbay and Monhegan on a fairly regular basis....)

I've raced the boat in 30 kts as well as 0 knots.

Sounds like last year's Rocks Race! :lol:

BTW, How can we get more of these supposed hot-shots from away to come up to more races in the Gulf of Maine -- like they apparently used to?

(My boat used to be based in Marblehead back when she was the hot new thing 28 years ago, and from what her old crew has told me, she used to race at Boothbay and Monhegan on a fairly regular basis....)

Thank you..Greyhawk...I would have assumed that people who know me would have...

Greyhawk - That is exactly what Kitty was doing down in Portsmouth last weekend at the Smuttynose regatta. Kitty was talking with fleet captains and reps from Portsmouth - Marblehead to build participation in Northern NE. Such as getting boats from down South to come up and sail Monhegan, then travel down to Smuttynose, then on to PHRFs. There were 14 boats on the line in the PHRF fleet and 10 for the J105 fleet. It might take 2 - 3 yrs, but with a little work I think we could draw more boats up to our neck of the woods for some of the races. Ideally we'd get the boats from away up to do MS, so we could also raise some money for a good cause.

Windward Leward is fun, but so is racing around the islands....we have the good fortune to be able to do both. Down South they only have drop marks as an option.

Me thinks perhaps C Koch got up on the cranky side of the bed today, and needs a little grog as it's now happy hour :)

Greyhawk - That is exactly what Kitty was doing down in Portsmouth last weekend at the Smuttynose regatta. Kitty was talking with fleet captains and reps from Portsmouth - Marblehead to build participation in Northern NE. Such as getting boats from down South to come up and sail Monhegan, then travel down to Smuttynose, then on to PHRFs. There were 14 boats on the line in the PHRF fleet and 10 for the J105 fleet. It might take 2 - 3 yrs, but with a little work I think we could draw more boats up to our neck of the woods for some of the races. Ideally we'd get the boats from away up to do MS, so we could also raise some money for a good cause.

Windward Leward is fun, but so is racing around the islands....we have the good fortune to be able to do both. Down South they only have drop marks as an option.

Me thinks perhaps C Koch got up on the cranky side of the bed today, and needs a little grog as it's now happy hour :)

Geeze guys, I put little smileys in there!! Didja miss the little smileys?

Each race has its own merits. You get a lot of great racers at Marblehead, but at the same time, people who do the Rocks Race, with the long course and single- and double-handed classes, certainly do not deserve to be called girly-boys.

Soggy, you would be amused to know that as I post this, I am enjoying a Pain Killer, complete with freshly ground nutmeg. Heavy on the rum as we ran out of mix. :)

Tomorrow, we set off on our yearly cruise in our girly-boy boat with all its creature comforts. No Marblehead for us, but I will be checking the results and rooting for Kitty and the other Mainiacs down there.

Hmm...

Back in the Bay Area there is some productive mixing of the PHRF/OD fleets and the shorthanded crowds in the seasonal scorings...for instance both the Moore 24 and Express 27 OD fleets use the Three Bridge Fiasco as a season scoring event. Of course the 3BF already had it's own gravitational pull, regularly pulling in over 200 total entries (this year over 300).

I'm not sure how this analogy would be relevant to GMORA, but it's worth thinking about. Perhaps the approach is to try it in reverse: to grow a DH class that could increase race entries at existing GMORA events...where the difficulties/costs of fielding a competitive fully-crewed program are seemingly driving down attendence.

Maybe some boats that are hanging on the GMORA sidelines would come out for a DH race or two or more if there was a season DH class championship to be had. Get that rolling, and then make the Maine Rocks Race a double-points event (along with Monhegan)...and voila.

Hmm...I wonder if I can dream up a cool perpetual trophy for a season championship using some artifact from OceanPlanet....Hmm....

Hmm...

Back in the Bay Area there is some productive mixing of the PHRF/OD fleets and the shorthanded crowds in the seasonal scorings...for instance both the Moore 24 and Express 27 OD fleets use the Three Bridge Fiasco as a season scoring event. Of course the 3BF already had it's own gravitational pull, regularly pulling in over 200 total entries (this year over 300).

I'm not sure how this analogy would be relevant to GMORA, but it's worth thinking about. Perhaps the approach is to try it in reverse: to grow a DH class that could increase race entries at existing GMORA events...where the difficulties/costs of fielding a competitive fully-crewed program are seemingly driving down attendence.

Maybe some boats that are hanging on the GMORA sidelines would come out for a DH race or two or more if there was a season DH class championship to be had. Get that rolling, and then make the Maine Rocks Race a double-points event (along with Monhegan)...and voila.

Hmm...I wonder if I can dream up a cool perpetual trophy for a season championship using some artifact from OceanPlanet....Hmm....

Sounds like that might be interesting.

We'll have to dicuss it further.

Hmm...

I like this idea a lot.

Hmm...

Can't recall, at the moment, when the next GMORA meeting is in the begining of September, but maybe you could stop by for a few minutes, and we can discuss?

Hmm...

I like this idea a lot.

Someone should put together a proposal for a series and present it to MORASS for consideration. I'm sure it would fly...

NE Harbor race is looking for a few more DH folks. There is one boat signed up.

You folks doing the Rocks Race will already have a taste of the course.

Would love to do it, but there's no way I can get my boat from Rockland down to Portland in time -- I have to work next week and there's no way out of it :angry:

NE Harbor race is looking for a few more DH folks. There is one boat signed up.

You folks doing the Rocks Race will already have a taste of the course.

Would love to do it, but there's no way I can get my boat from Rockland down to Portland in time -- I have to work next week and there's no way out of it :angry:

You may find some MMA kids to help you get it down...

Thanks for the several delivery offers. Unfortunately, my crew has decided they don't want to do the NEH race followed by another delivery back home right after (which is realistically our only choice) even if we could get the boat down to the start in time. On the other hand, if Danny beats up the Rocks race course badly, who knows what will happen? If we're faced with a Force 9+ northeaster to get out to Mt. Desert Rock, maybe we'll turn tail and run the other way! (Then we'ld be in a better position to do the NEH race and the crew wouldn't have a choice ... or it could free me up to crew on another boat!)

Looks like some fun times ahead! :blink:

I see that PHRF New Englands are cancelled today.

Probaby a good move.

Everybodiy can stay nice and dry.

Although the bar business may be brisk.

Kaos got two firsts and a second yesterday, beating old nemesis Gambler.

Tomorrow should be pretty exciting.

Kitty seems to be haviving a more difficult time as the smallest boat in class A.

Slight thread hijack.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pedro

Checkout-

Northeast Harbor

Southwest Harbor

Bass Harbor

Brooklin has a couple of inns with dinner menus, Centerharbor is a nice Harbor (close to Brooklin) with a cool and somewhat open boat building shop.

I am sure a few more people will chime in on good options, I think Mango Man is known to drink in that area.

Blue Hill has some decent food options, notably Arborvine and Table if you're looking for more upscale fare. However, labor day weekend also brings the Blue Hill Fair to town and if you're in the area it's definitely worth checking out. Culinary speaking, you can discover the latest in fried-food technology, like deep-fried coca-cola (Who knew?!?!?). All in all, it's an interesting experience.

Slight thread hijack.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pedro

Checkout-

Northeast Harbor

Southwest Harbor

Bass Harbor

Blue Hill has some decent food options, notably Arborvine and Table if you're looking for more upscale fare. However, labor day weekend also brings the Blue Hill Fair to town and if you're in the area it's definitely worth checking out. Culinary speaking, you can discover the latest in fried-food technology, like deep-fried coca-cola (Who knew?!?!?). All in all, it's an interesting experience.

Thanks guys. I think just being up there in Maine this time of year after August in S. Texas will be cool on a couple of levels. I learned to sail originally on a small dinghy in Nahant Harbor when I was 6. I remember the water was a bit cooler than what I'm used to now (don't y'all set your jacuzzis to 84? That's the CCBay water presently).

Anyway, we have a bit of lobster eating and cruising around (i.e. slow drive up the Cadillac Mountain Summit Drive to with the windows down) to tide us over. But...is there a Wednesday night series in Bar Harbor?

Thanks again for any input.

Later,

Pedro

1. Any stories from the Northeast Harbor Race?

2. The Maine Rocks Shorthanded Race was rescheduled to September 19 & 20, and my crew can't do it -- Any one else interested?

Someone might get a kick out of this...Im pretty sure I just had a "Whiplash" sighting. Yep, the J35 that sailed for years in GMORA first as "Sleighride" then later as "Whiplash" and was, I am told, sold out west a couple of years ago.

Ive moved to Portland OR (fantastic town) and was sailing redneck bumper boats up on the Columbia the other night when I saw a suspiciously familiar J35 in the same marina, still named "Whiplash", now cruised-out with roller furling jib and one of those cockpit awning doohickeys. Could be a coincidence but I sailed on that boat when it was "Sleighride" and I'm pretty confident that it was she.

She looked happy in her retirement.

NE Harbor this year was similar to last year, beautiful, fun, but not a ton of wind.

We started out on a light sea breeze that got us to the Sequin area - hung out there for a bit, after midnight we got a N-NE that carried us along and picked up quite nicely. Unfortunately the afternoon was another light sea-breeze and we finished in very light air at dusk.

What was pretty amazing was with the calm seas we saw tons of wildlife. Whales, porpoise (how do you spell that word!), sharks, etc. It was really quite a wonderful sail and everyone involved had fun. NE Harbor was gorgeous Sunday and Monday and people went hiking, sailing, and generally playing around. Of the six boats that went, two were heading off for two weeks, and three headed back using a week to do so. One did a quick return and was in by Monday.

It was a lot of fun, the organizing group will be working on some plans for next year taking into account all the feedback from participants.

Results - Racing

Libra

Beagle

Results - Cruising

Cordelia

Peregrine

Icy Wind

Trader

1. Any stories from the Northeast Harbor Race?

2. The Maine Rocks Shorthanded Race was rescheduled to September 19 & 20, and my crew can't do it -- Any one else interested?

1. Hope to see some of you at Around Islesboro Race on Saturday, hosted by Northport Yacht Club.

2. The other Peterson 34 is for sale, if anyone knows someone interested. (I'm not the owner, but can put you in touch)

Walkabout is headed north about noon tomorrow. RYC should produce a good turnout. Looks like a drifter for Saturday.

2. The other Peterson 34 is for sale, if anyone knows someone interested. (I'm not the owner, but can put you in touch)

The wheel conversion didn't solve his weather helm problem? Has he found a Santana to go back to?

What's Dick going to do for a boat?

The wheel conversion didn't solve his weather helm problem? Has he found a Santana to go back to?

The wheel is a great improvement, I've sailed the boat now with both set ups, and though I prefer tillers in general, she handles much easier with the wheel. I still question if there wasn't a rigging issue causing the weather helm. It's a great boat that sails very well. The Peterson doesn't have the same acceleration that he remembers and enjoyed with the Santana. I would easily say the Peterson is faster over all though, and better mannered in most regards. Though the S35 really was just an oversized 70's light-displacement boat (if you can call it that). I can say that one is far more qualified to handle bigger breezes and offshore work!

Regardless, he has his eye on a Jeanneau 36, apparently, though I don't know anything about it. I suspect it's actually a bit more of a nod to the cruising side of things. The racing is taking a backseat. Morningstar would have to sell first, of course. As with any of us, the only thing worse than one boat, is two.

Glad to hear Walkabout and others are coming up. I too, think it will be a bit of a drifter... I just hope there isn't much in the way of rain... or fog.

Someone might get a kick out of this...Im pretty sure I just had a "Whiplash" sighting. Yep, the J35 that sailed for years in GMORA first as "Sleighride" then later as "Whiplash" and was, I am told, sold out west a couple of years ago.

Ive moved to Portland OR (fantastic town) and was sailing redneck bumper boats up on the Columbia the other night when I saw a suspiciously familiar J35 in the same marina, still named "Whiplash", now cruised-out with roller furling jib and one of those cockpit awning doohickeys. Could be a coincidence but I sailed on that boat when it was "Sleighride" and I'm pretty confident that it was she.

Hey Snake,

How have you been? We missed you this summer....all two weeks of it.

R

Hey Snake,

How have you been? We missed you this summer....all two weeks of it.

R

Heard about that...it was hotter than hades out here, record hot style stuff. I'm well, just winding down after the 60+ hour weeks of the summer program here, almost 500 students total. I'm pretty tired. :)

And how are you?

The weather looks like it is going to be really nice for the Maine Rocks Shorthanded Race this weekend...

But -- my family won't let me do the race by myself -- surely there's got to be somebody out there who's willing to join me and give it a go? Send me a PM, but do it SOON! (Can you tell I'm getting desperate?)

The weather looks like it is going to be really nice for the Maine Rocks Shorthanded Race this weekend...

But -- my family won't let me do the race by myself -- surely there's got to be somebody out there who's willing to join me and give it a go?

OK, you guys are off the hook - I found my crew. Have I told you all just how much I love my wife?

My wife wouldn't go near this race. You are a lucky man. (I am too, she(my wife) loves the Tuesday night beer can racing) Looking like 13 boats with the majority being single handers. It's not too late. We're accepting registrations at the skipper's meeting tomorrow night at 5 at RYC.

Sorry I can't join you, sounds like the forecast is great, I hope you have a fun, safe sail! Let us know how it works out.

My wife wouldn't go near this race. You are a lucky man. (I am too, she(my wife) loves the Tuesday night beer can racing) Looking like 13 boats with the majority being single handers. It's not too late. We're accepting registrations at the skipper's meeting tomorrow night at 5 at RYC.
Sorry I can't join you, sounds like the forecast is great, I hope you have a fun, safe sail! Let us know how it works out.

post-9037-1253643893_thumb.jpg

Photo by Peter McCrea

What a great weekend!

Rocks Race Results:

Singlehanded Class / Fleet

Jeroboam - 1 / 1

Adhara - 2 / 5

Panacea - 3 / 7

Mainstay5 - 4 / 9

Bluebird - 5 / 10

Tyger Tyger - 6 / 11

Flash of Beauty - 7 / 12

Doublehanded Class / Fleet

Walkabout - 1 / 2

Hiliho - 2 / 3

Williwaw - 3 / 4

Greyhawk - 4 / 6

Smitten - 5 / 8

Brigadoon - DNC DNC

Fastest elapsed time was 19:48, Slowest boat was in at 24:37.

• 2 weeks later...
Can't wait to go sailing today.

Looking ahead, anyone else in for the Leafer's Last Leg? I will NOT be the DFL boat (again) this year.

G

Not sure if the el Calmino team will form again this year.....

Last race night of the season for Rockland Yacht Club Tuesday night series. Official winner to follow!

post-30042-1253842079_thumb.jpg post-30042-1253842087_thumb.jpg post-30042-1253842095_thumb.jpgpost-30042-1253842127_thumb.jpgpost-30042-1253842115_thumb.jpgpost-30042-1253842143_thumb.jpgpost-30042-1253842159_thumb.jpg post-30042-1253842170_thumb.jpg post-30042-1253842180_thumb.jpg

Nice pics. Thanks for a great season.

You are welcome! Hope to take what we learned this year and make things even better next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else still a bit battered and bruised from Saturday's fun?

I'm hauling tomorrow and am curious to see how the rig did - it may be time for some new shrouds.

We say steady high twenty's at the end - and I expect gusts were easily in the 30's.

I lost a batten pocket and my hat - but that was it. It was sad to watch the big smiley chute shred.

Oh well time to put things away and think about projects for next year.