Gulf of maine scuttlebut

should we be waiting for the State of MorAss address?

I learned recently that MorAss is not only the twisting of an acronym to suite our childish sense of humor but is actually an established word; defined as - any confusing or troublesome situation, esp. one from which it is difficult to free oneself; entanglement.

funny how that shit works out.

It's not a kind of eel?

G

As we know from local establishments that are geared towards entertainment for gentlemen; Morass can certainly entangle oneself in a situation that is difficult to be freed, leave one in a confused state and can result in a troublesome situation.

and of course sailboat racing has some parrallels also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

GMORA awards banquet tonight at Black Point Inn. I will do my best to post a few shots as things progress... raining cats and dogs, but plenty of Sailor Jerry and New Amsterdam, etc etc, the fireplaces will be going and East Wave Radio will be in the lobby!

J

Great event last night everyone! Nice to see so many people out on such a miserable night. A perfect venue, maybe there again next year? Great job Kitty, right down to the tatoo bar, good for a few laughs. And to everyone on the GMORA team, thank you, it was a lovely evening.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys,

You might want to sign up on Facebook to the Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Association page.

http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Gulf-of-Ma...on/190352859197

The idea is to facilitate communication, among all stakeholders, on GMORA events, issues and interests.

Thanks sailbad. It's a work in progress to be sure. Comments and suggestions welcomed -- just PM me or send a message on FB.

• 3 weeks later...
Quiet

Real quiet...

I do believe I just saw a tumbleweed roll on by...

post-5090-1261597897_thumb.jpg

Anyways, Happy Holiday to all!

I guess everyone is over at the J/Boat Anarchy.......

naw... it stopped being fun so everyone left... Dirt Dog, Jerk, Cat in the Hat left. Max and Eights stopped stopping in. The Snipers snipped without being accretive. There were plenty of lurkers that that didn't participate. Then you had the rest.

That's what happens...LET THAT BE A LESSON TO YEE.....

The Canadians have decided to scuttle ferry service between Nova Scotia and Maine aboard The Cat ferry.

Please help spread the word by signing the online petition, and joining the facebook group.

Rescue the Cat ferry online petition

The facebook group

hmmmmm happy to sign the petition to show interest in getting a service back between old Scotia (my homeland) and Maine, (state in which I live and operate hotels and restaurants, which rely on tourism and the Cat only helped things all round)... but we can't just blame the Nova Scotia tax payers for deciding they can't afford to continue to subsidize that service to the degree that they have...can we?

The Canadians have decided to scuttle ferry service between Nova Scotia and Maine aboard The Cat ferry.

Please help spread the word by signing the online petition, and joining the facebook group.

The facebook group

hmmmmm happy to sign the petition to show interest in getting a service back between old Scotia (my homeland) and Maine, (state in which I live and operate hotels and restaurants, which rely on tourism and the Cat only helped things all round)... but we can't just blame the Nova Scotia tax payers for deciding they can't afford to continue to subsidize that service to the degree that they have...can we?

It is a real shame. We really enjoyed the folks from yarmouth. It was a fun race. There was a move underfoot to get something going this year. I'm not sure if it would of happened or not. i spoke to one of the organizers two weeks ago and it seemed like the effort to start the race again has ended.

The facebook group

And making Nova Scotia even less accessible, this from a few weeks ago:

http://www.starlinkaviation.com/index.php?...c=view&id=1

Navy

• 3 weeks later...
Wouldn't it be cool if this thread had more life

Heck yea.

G

Double ditto. Slow time of year, and our communications function is in a state of transition. That said, we do have a little business (and fun) to attend to.

A week or two ago, and e-mail went out to paid 2009 GMORA members for whom the organization had valid e-mail addresses. Subject was the election of officers, which is supposed to happen annually in January. Members have two choices for voting in this slate of officers provided in the e-mail. They can be boring and submit their vote via e-mail by Jan. 26 to the address provided (which I will not disclose here). Or they can be fun and come to a special meeting Wednesday, Jan. 27, at Rivalries in Portland and vote in person.

The Rivalries gathering is actually open to crew and other non-members as well. You can't vote, but you can still enjoy the liquid refreshments and whatever food Kitty decides to have served. Kind of like last year's gathering, except that we're adding that brief piece of business to vote in officers.

Hopefully this is enough advance notice for G to get a sitter so Mrs. G can come, too. :)

So NO ONE is going?

I expect to go, and I figure the officers will be there. That makes five so far. How about you Barley?

Last year's gathering was actually quite fun.

Anyone close-ish to Maine have a 2.4m I could take out for a test drive?

G

Eights-

There is a guy up in Bangor named Tom Sawyer who was really active in the class a while back. He owns a big waste management biz. He really is a great guy. If you can't get in touch with him I would try to get in touch with him through Tom Brown the coach at MMA.

Good luck-

kitty

Anyone close-ish to Maine have a 2.4m I could take out for a test drive?

G

Eights-

There is a guy up in Bangor named Tom Sawyer who was really active in the class a while back. He owns a big waste management biz. He really is a great guy. If you can't get in touch with him I would try to get in touch with him through Tom Brown the coach at MMA.

Good luck-

kitty

His buddy Huck is a cool shit also.

Getting through the winter dog? Staying dirty?

dirty-fool maybe, but who's keeping track. I will have a chance to thaw out next week. Headed South for the Mid-Winters, which only means I haven't sailed on a 24 for a while, so I have forgotten how painful the boats are.

looking forward to it.

Getting through the winter dog? Staying dirty?

dirty-fool maybe, but who's keeping track. I will have a chance to thaw out next week. Headed South for the Mid-Winters, which only means I haven't sailed on a 24 for a while, so I have forgotten how painful the boats are.

looking forward to it.

cool- who are you going with??

Does anybody know the status of the Yarmouth Cup?

I don't think it's going to happen. The transportation issues have become more problematic in the last couple of months. A survey of the guys around here showed not much support to reserect it.

There was a brief attemt to do so a few months back but it seems dead.

Does anybody know the status of the Yarmouth Cup?

I don't think it's going to happen. The transportation issues have become more problematic in the last couple of months. A survey of the guys around here showed not much support to reserect it.

There was a brief attemt to do so a few months back but it seems dead.

Thanks KID!

So I guess Route Halifax St-Pierre is it for Ocean racing this year?

• 4 weeks later...

So is there anybody from Maine going to the Safety at Sea Seminar in Newport, RI, on March 13th? I have a crew member from Bangor who might be interested in some sort of carpool arrangement...

So what happened at the GMORA meeting?

-Any new pllans for 2010 GMORA Racing Season?

I guess we'll see what happens at the upcoming GMORA meeting, but my sense from here in the far corner of New Hampshire is that we should soon see a new website, a couple of "new" races on the schedule, and of course a new trophy to compete for, which might lead to the creation of a new racing class at some of the regattas....

A note to my fellow sailors in Maine:

Haitians still have a pressing need for food and shelter as they recover from the massive earthquake that struck in January. As a member of the Maine sailing community, I'm organizing a drive to collect used sails to be shipped to Haiti to be used as makeshift shelter. The rainy season is starting early this year in the Caribbean, so the faster we can get our used sails to Haiti, the better off the estimated 770,000 homeless will be.

Maine Sailing Partners in Freeport is willing to be a drop-off point for your sails, March 5 until March 19, M-F 8:00 to 5:00.

Pope Sails and Rigging, in Rockland will accept sails in the mid-coast area, March 5 until March 19, M-F 8:00 to 5:00.

They will then be trucked to Miami where two organizations, Haiti-Life and Shake-a-Leg, have the infrastructure in place to ship the sails to Haiti.

Please contact your friends, fellow yacht club members, other sailors, anyone you know who might have old, used sails taking up space and ask them to donate to the people of Haiti.

Deadline for donations will be Friday, March 19.

The fine print:

Shake A Leg the Miami collection point, and Haiti-Life, the shipper to and distributor in Haiti are both 501c3 organizations so your donation is tax deductible. Shipping from Miami to Haiti is funded by Project Medishare, also a 501c3.

Any sail will be accepted, other than torn, shredded or delaminated sails.

Please have the hoist and foot lengths available so we can properly tag the sail.

If any of you SAers are members of PYC, CBYC, BBYC or any other Maine yacht clubs would pass this information on to your membership, I would really appreciate it. Or, contact me and I will get the information to the right person. The wider we can spread the word, the more assistance we can give the people of Haiti.

Thanks for your help

John Eide

jeide@meca.edu

Maine Sailing Partners

24 Noble Drive, Freeport, ME 04032

207-865-0850 or 888-788-7245

Pope Sails & Rigging

237 Park Street, Rockland, ME 04841

207-596-7293

Maine Sailing Partners http://www.mesailing.com/

Pope Sails & Rigging http://www.popesails.com/

Shake-a-Leg http://www.shakealegmiami.org/

Haiti-Life http://www.haiti-life.org/

Project Medishare http://projectmedishare.org/

So is there anybody from Maine going to the Safety at Sea Seminar in Newport, RI, on March 13th? I have a crew member from Bangor who might be interested in some sort of carpool arrangement...

So what happened at the GMORA meeting?

-Any new pllans for 2010 GMORA Racing Season?

I guess we'll see what happens at the upcoming GMORA meeting, but my sense from here in the far corner of New Hampshire is that we should soon see a new website, a couple of "new" races on the schedule, and of course a new trophy to compete for, which might lead to the creation of a new racing class at some of the regattas....

There are several Buzz, was Howl, crew heading for the SAS in Newport. Not sure our schedules yet though. I'm heading down sometime Fri night and coming back sometime Sunday. I may have room. Is Greyhawk doing the bermuda race? Buzz and Resolute are looking to apply for a team trophy for the Maine boats and we need at least a third boat.

There are several Buzz, was Howl, crew heading for the SAS in Newport. Not sure our schedules yet though. I'm heading down sometime Fri night and coming back sometime Sunday. I may have room. Is Greyhawk doing the bermuda race? Buzz and Resolute are looking to apply for a team trophy for the Maine boats and we need at least a third boat.

No, not Bermuda this year; the Lobster Run is likely, though, which requires SAS. Current plan is for my crew to drive himself to Boston area Friday, I'll meet him there, we'll crash at a cheap motel someplace between Boston and Newport, then after the SAS, I'll drop him off in Boston on my way home. He'll spend Saturday night in Boston with his wife who will be there for a work-related conference, take the T back to his car Sunday and drive home. I have a van if it helps with transport at all and you guys want to take the train Portland to Boston...or something.

Buzz and Resolute are looking to apply for a team trophy for the Maine boats and we need at least a third boat.

Forgot to mention that at some point last year I overheard the Beausoleil crew talking about doing the Bermuda race -- they could possibly be a 3rd boat. And if any of you need crew --> http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=104030

No, not Bermuda this year; the Lobster Run is likely, though, which requires SAS. Current plan is ....

Bugman, my guy is open to riding down with you guys on Friday if you've got room. His schedule is open all day. Let me know and I'll get you connected with each other.

I would give him a ride to Boston on Saturday night after the Seminar and he would return to Maine with his wife on Sunday.

PS -- tried sending a PM, but the system said no.

Buzz and Resolute are looking to apply for a team trophy for the Maine boats and we need at least a third boat.

Hey Bugman, looking at the entry list for the Bermuda race, I note that CYBELE is a down-east GMORA boat ... FWIW...

Hey Bugman, looking at the entry list for the Bermuda race, I note that CYBELE is a down-east GMORA boat ... FWIW...

Great, thank you, I have a note to contact both Beausoleil and CYBELE. How are ya Kitty? I've also spoke with Greyhawk folks. Thanks all.

Hey guys, need your input on a couple things.

What are your favorite places to tie the boat up, eat, and sleep at when you're at away races? I know a few of the usual suspects -- Tugboat Inn, McSeagulls, Rocktide, Lobster Dock, etc. JH Hawks would be good except I don't know their status. Got more? Not just Boozebay, either, I'm looking for anything from South Portland to NEH. What I'm trying to do is revive the content that used to be in the yearbook -- put a section in each race write up about places to tie up, eat, and stay, etc. Also looking for leads on additional advertisers. Either reply or PM here, or if you know my e-mail, send it there. TIA.

inquiring minds want want to know...

What were Haji and another prominint Maine single hander discussing at lunch today? Like to have sat down and just listened while I ate my lunch.

Haji?

Sheesh, this is a small State.

Lotsa stuff...human-powered flight, LiFePO4 batteries, bicycles...but mostly was a visit to check out Kip's new building project in Brunswick.

He took over a big building that was just sitting there, is gutting it, putting in a "Cool as a Moose" store, re-establishing a restaurant that used to be there, and moving his Artforms shirt and printing biz there (from Westbrook). Hard-workin guy.

Hard to say if our various projects will ever converge, but you never know.

The Sails for Haiti project is coming to the end.

Just a few more days to donate your used sails to be shipped to Haiti to be used as shelter for the over 770,000 left homeless by the recent earthquake.

We will be shipping close to 300 used sails of all sizes, Opti to Maxi, to Miami by truck next week.

The Maine Sailing Community has rallied together, and so we have far more sails than we ever hoped for.

We need to raise $3500 to pay for shipping to Miami.<br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"> You may make a tax deductible donation for shipping the Sails to Haiti through Shake-A-Leg in Miami, a non-profit, tax exempt 501c3 organization.

Make your donation by clicking here and enter Maine Sails for Haiti in the Job Title or Gift Note box.

Thanks for your generosity, and for making a difference!

Shake-A-Leg donation page: https://www.kintera.org/site/c.kkLUJbMQKpH/b.2521751/k.8FEC/Donate_Online/apps/ka/sd/donor.asp?c=kkLUJbMQKpH&b=2521751&en=bjIRL2OHLlIQLYNPKgKKK6POImJ5JcOQIqLWJ8NNIhKWI4PQKxH

Shake-A-Leg web site: https://www.kintera.org/site/c.kkLUJbMQKpH/b.2521629/k.BF03/Home.htm

We'll be filling a 53' trailer next week which is far more sails than I ever expected would show up. Mass. Maritime is sending up an 8'x8'x12' pile of sails off a donated maxi, Rob and the crew at MSP and Doug at Pope Sails have gathered close to 100 sails, Sea Bags is cleaning out their loft (130+) and who knows what we'll get at the boat show this weekend. Hamilton Marine is donating rope to tie 'em all down in Haiti.

A large Penske truck will be parked next to the PYS parts building ready to receive any sails you would like to drop off.

Thanks for all your sail donations and please help getting them to Miami.

• 2 weeks later...

We did it.

Nearly 400 sails, 14,000+ pounds, on 60 pallets, a full 53' trailer, left for Miami this morning.

The sails will be loaded on a ship set to leave for Haiti by the end of next week. They'll be trucked to the outskirts of Port au Prince where they'll be used for temporary shelter.

I'd like to thank the collection points: Rob and Win at Maine Sailing Partners; Doug at Pope Sails and Rigging; Glenn at Mount Desert Island Community Sailing Center; Kevin at PSA; Amy, Beth and the enthusiastic crew at Sea Bags in Portland.

Phin Sprague at PYS and the MBB show, Jane Wellahan at Maine Built Boats and Bruce Schwab thru his web site all worked to get the word out not only in Maine but around the country. Thanks.

Wayne at Hamilton Marine donated two pallet boxes filled with rope as well as transportation for some of the sails.

Massachusetts Maritime Academy donated 50 sails, most from the first Blue Yankee, and Sea Bags dipped into their stock to donate well over 100 sails.

Hannaford Bros. helped with logistics as well as pallets and pallet boxes.

Shawn Moore at R.C. Moore trucking supplied warehouse space, more logistical advice, as well as the trailer, tractor and driver to get the sails to Miami.

Thanks also to the many individuals and marine industry companies who contributed to the cost of getting the sails to Miami: greatly appreciated. More is needed! (I don't have the official list of donors yet, so can't give specific thanks - sorry.)

Shake-A-Leg, Haiti-Life and Project Medishare are handling the logistics in Miami, the shipping to and distribution in Haiti. Their people have worked non-stop on the ground in Haiti since the earthquake hit.

But it would not have worked without the generosity of you the sailors in Maine and others from northern New England. The people of Haiti know your sails are coming and already send thanks.

Thanks,

John E

The new website looks good. Are there plans to add the scoring and eligibility info, the GMORA bylaws, and other content?

The concept for the PHRF Maine Championships is interesting.

The new website looks good. Are there plans to add the scoring and eligibility info, the GMORA bylaws, and other content?

The concept for the PHRF Maine Championships is interesting.

The web site is far from done. This is the first stage that allowed us to get the schedule out and a way to join public. The big "win" with the new site is the ability for a volunter organization to update it with good content on a more regular schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

reposted from Facebook:

GMORA is pleased to announce a new series and trophy. It's for single- and double-handed crews, with a focus on distance racing, and it's made possible through the generosity of Bruce Schwab, the first American to officially complete the Vendee Globe race.

The Ocean Planet Shorthanded Racing Trophy will be awarded to the eligible yacht with the highest CHIPS score that races with a shorthanded crew in GMORA sanctioned events.

To be eligible, a yacht must:

# Race with a crew of no more than two (2) in its qualifying races.

# Register as a racing yacht with a shorthanded crew in each

qualifying event. Racing in a division of shorthanded yachts is required if

the event has a special division for shorthanded yachts. Multihull yachts

that meet all the requirements are considered eligible. Yachts racing in the

cruising division are not eligible.

# Race short handed at least six (6) race days, including at least one

race 65 NM or longer.

# Best six (6) days count, but at least one race 65 NM or longer must

be counted for the number of days specified.

More information will be posted soon at www.gmora.org as our new web site continues to evolve. Start making your plans now to compete in this exciting new series!

The following races have historically offered a short-handed division, and we are working on adding more to this list:

# Rockland Yacht Club's Downeast Challenge Race, Marblehead to Rockland, starting July 24.

# Portland Yacht Club's Monhegan Regatta, starting August 13.

# Centerboard Yacht Club's Northeast Harbor Race, Portland to Northeast Harbor, starting August 27.

# Rockland Yacht Club's Maine Rocks Shorthanded Race, starting September 18.

• 2 weeks later...

hello...hello???...anyone out there. This thread has been awfully quiet of late. What can we do to breathe new life into it? Kitty? Max? Side Show? StickBoy? Whats new? hows spring cleaning going? who's going to splash first?

hello...hello???...anyone out there. This thread has been awfully quiet of late. What can we do to breathe new life into it? Kitty? Max? Side Show? StickBoy? Whats new? hows spring cleaning going? who's going to splash first?

YAY spring! I've been out on the water with the Portland High School sailing team for about a month. I can't wait until I get to sail myself (I'm a bit large for a 420). suider and I have been discussing the OP short handed trophy quite a bit. That sounds like a good time. Anyone want to lend the two of us a boat for a month?

G

Let's see.... Spent yesterday morning getting floats in at the club. Spent the afternoon on boat stuff. Spent the evening talking with cruising friends about their new (to them) boat. Too busy to post about it! :)

I expect to see all of you at the Points East/SailMaine Crew Match on Wednesday, May 5, at Handy's. Remember, the beer is free.

Heading off to the left coast again on tuesday. Sailing, Opening Day events (actually 5 days) at the Seattle yacht club, and a bit more sightseeing. Can't wait!

Heading off to the left coast again on tuesday. Sailing, Opening Day events (actually 5 days) at the Seattle yacht club, and a bit more sightseeing. Can't wait!

That is great to hear! Hope you have a great time!

Curious, what's the typical format for the PYC Pilot Regatta? W/L courses or other?

It's usually something at least resembling W/L, isn't it? Not a rabid W/L like the PHRFs, but generally a W/L, often using government marks.

Essentially, for the racers, it's out the Hussey and back one or more times. For the cruisers, it's out the Hussey, back in, and maybe a reaching leg or two. Start/finish area is east of Clapboard, like other PYC races.

Edited to add language from PYC's web site:

The two day event has competitors sailing courses around inner Casco Bay using government buoys and temporary drop buoys for turning marks.
  • 2 weeks later...

My gear bag was swiped the other day. I'd guess it was some vagrant (a vagrant other than me), but if anyone sees the stuff by the side of the road or in the local Goodwill, please let me know (most of it says Tiernan on it). I'm amazed anyone would want a bag full of crusty, dirty sailing gear, but there's no accounting for taste... Thanks.

G

• 2 weeks later...

My gear bag was swiped the other day. I'd guess it was some vagrant (a vagrant other than me), but if anyone sees the stuff by the side of the road or in the local Goodwill, please let me know (most of it says Tiernan on it). I'm amazed anyone would want a bag full of crusty, dirty sailing gear, but there's no accounting for taste... Thanks.

G

Bag found... Someone tossed it over the seawall at the end of the street. Rigging knife gone, but everything else intact (if a little crusty)!

G

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it might be a little light for the first scored race of the season tomorrow at Centerboard. Keep in mind the link shows the winds at 2 p.m. The 11 a.m. map shows nothing. First gun's at noon.

http://www.sailflow.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=92&regionProductID=30&timeoffset=8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Jon Randall on Snowbird:

Maybe a new Boothbay tradition will be born!

You are here by invited to attend a private gathering Friday July 16 at the Boothbay Resort in Boothbay, Maine.

We will have music, food and drink. There are also lawn games a heated pool and hot tub available for our use.

Please stop by even if only for a quick bite to eat or a cocktail.

Bring your crew or just send them over without you.

This is intended to be a casual gathering of fellow sailors to help kick off the 2 weekends of the PHRF-ME's

If you have an idea you might stop by please let me know it will help with food and beverage prep.

Also, forward this to any others you think would be interested.

Thanks & hope to see you all Friday,

Jon Randall

PS: Go to www.snowbirdracing.com click on Boothbay Regatta on events calendar and see the link to the Boothbay Resort. Just a way to have you all see my website:)

Looking forward to the Boothbay Regatta this weekend, then we leave Monday morning for Stonington CT, racing back to Boothbay next weekend.

Had a great time last night at the Thursday Night race in Falmouth. A beautiful night. I was on a guest on a boat in the cruising class, so we got to watch the racing fleets which was great fun. That is a great club and nice folks.

I do have a few questions...

1. Cruising class starts first, what is the class break for the other two starts?

2. Are results posted anywhere?

Had a great time last night at the Thursday Night race in Falmouth. A beautiful night. I was on a guest on a boat in the cruising class, so we got to watch the racing fleets which was great fun. That is a great club and nice folks.

I do have a few questions...

1. Cruising class starts first, what is the class break for the other two starts?

2. Are results posted anywhere?

1. It's done by size. I think the cutoff is 26' but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

2. No results.

G