Gulf of maine scuttlebut

A very challenging finish to this years Downeast Challenge. Maine boats did really well. Mainestay 5, a Jeaneau OD 35 from Northport Yacht club, Jim Coughlin, won division 1. Patrick Jones drew first blood for the Ocean Planet Trophy with a win in the shorthanded division. Too tired right now for a complete report but it was a great night of jib reaching with the usual light air affair to finish, accompanied with torrential down pours and lightning. And fog. And a hung lobster pot.

Is that all? :-)

Interesting. On the same weekend The Corinthian Lobster Run (Stonignton CT to Boothbay) draws 17, the Downeast Challenge (Marblehead to Rockland) draws 20 and Seguin Island Trophy Race draws about 30. That's a lot of racing going on!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

And how many of us picked up lobster pots along the way...

We had a nice run going on Sunday until we snagged. Oh well. I think I saw at least one other boat snag on Sunday too. Southport was unfortunately plagued by light air, but we did get of some nice races. Kaos killed us with consistency!

Read Rail Meat's posts in the Lobster Run thread - really great stuff.

FYI- The scoring for PHRF Me seems to be inaccurate. The first race on Saturday was listed as being 12 miles long for the A fleet...

And what is interesting is that it is listed correctly in the results for the SITR. 2.8 was the length. Go figure... Have you sent an email yet? I will pass it along too.

BTW Kitty - Nice job on the last race, you guys made some nice moves in the current/wind lines going back to the lighthouse.

FYI- The scoring for PHRF Me seems to be inaccurate. The first race on Saturday was listed as being 12 miles long for the A fleet...

And what is interesting is that it is listed correctly in the results for the SITR. 2.8 was the length. Go figure... Have you sent an email yet? I will pass it along too.

BTW Kitty - Nice job on the last race, you guys made some nice moves in the current/wind lines going back to the lighthouse.

Thanks- We had great crew work. You guys and Tonm Crotty gave us fits all weekend.! Do you have room in Camden for an extra crew ?

Who's going to Camden?

Still trying to sort that out for us. Forget a full crew, just trying to line somebody up to double-hand it with me is turning out to be a chore, although that's mainly a family issue...

Just a shout out to the crew of Rita P -- congrats on besting our joint nemesis Zealot on day 1 of SITR!

And just a note on the Lobster Run -- we had some really great sailing, and some really tough sailing as well. The OA and RC still have some work to do, but this event holds promise for becoming a truly great ocean race!

Who's going to Camden?

Just a shout out to the crew of Rita P -- congrats on besting our joint nemesis Zealot on day 1 of SITR!

Hey thanks! First time that's ever happened; probably last time too -- I think it was a total fluke! Not sure how that happened, except I do remember watching the two faster boats in the class messing with one another on the way to a leeward mark. LMAO... I did some preliminary math after our finish and was pretty sure we had corrected, then they posted the day one results and it showed us back in third. Then we noticed that elapsed and corrected times were identical and there was no course length listed. Oops. They corrected that one by Sunday a.m.

Thanks- We had great crew work. You guys and Tonm Crotty gave us fits all weekend.! Do you have room in Camden for an extra crew ?

Extra crew? PM me if you have some.

Another great weekend! Anybody know if the final results from the Camden Regatta will get posted online somewhere? We had to take off for home right after crossing the finish line.

Competition for the Ocean Planet Shorthanded Trophy seems to be heating up, and looks like it will be pretty intense! Walkabout and Cats Paw put on a great show.

I thought CYC did a nice job and I wish them luck rebranding their event. The committee was flexible and accessible, with really good communication on the radio. It helps when the weather cooperates.

I thought CYC did a nice job and I wish them luck rebranding their event. The committee was flexible and accessible, with really good communication on the radio. It helps when the weather cooperates.

That's great to hear, but enquiring minds want to know...

Who won the party? :) How did the town of Camden hold up to the onslaught of sailors? Arrests? Stories? :ph34r:

Yep the racing in Penobscot was pretty fun this weekend. Saturday saw horridly light winds at the start (1-2 knots) but it filled in by 12:30 and the rest of the race was in good breeze. Sunday was pretty solid with 10 knots that got up to 13 or so during the afternoon. There seemed to be a lot of good competition and a diverse race field - about 20 boats in 3 classes. CYC did a very nice job hosting and while the destination part of the weekend was gone, it certainly was an enjoyable weekend.

I think Camden survived the onslaught. CYC was pretty straight forward with the folks on the dock and asking them to keep it reasonable - which seems fair to me. It does appear that there isn't much interest in this event from CYC folks (but being from the other CYC I understand how that can work) but the race chair was very optimistic about the race going forward.

It was great to meet a lot of the folks from Rockland and other places in Penobscot. The bay is a beautiful place to sail. No results yet on the website, once GMORA gets them we can try to get them posted on that website.

I am looking forward to Monhegan and NE Harbor. Hope to see everyone there!

What If we offered a tie in with Rockland in this weekend? Maybe the destination on Sat could be Rockland. Boats would dock (plenty of space) at the Rockland public landing and RYC could host a party Sat pm, (tent, band, rum etc). The Rockland neighbors of RYC are not as "sensitive" as their Camden counterparts, mostly because there is no one living around the yacht Club in Rockland.

Not wanting to take the wind out of the Camden sails on this weekend, but I think Rockland could host one hell of a party?

What If we offered a tie in with Rockland in this weekend? Maybe the destination on Sat could be Rockland. Boats would dock (plenty of space) at the Rockland public landing and RYC could host a party Sat pm, (tent, band, rum etc). The Rockland neighbors of RYC are not as "sensitive" as their Camden counterparts, mostly because there is no one living around the yacht Club in Rockland.

Not wanting to take the wind out of the Camden sails on this weekend, but I think Rockland could host one hell of a party?

With Lobsterfest going... I suspect there is no room on the docks.

I could be wrong, but I suspect Chaise Lounge was talking about the traditional Camden (used to be Camden-Castine) race weekend, as opposed to "this" weekend with the Lobster Fest going on. I think the idea of doing a Camden to Rockland and back has some merit. Seems like it was even brought up at one of the board meetings, but for some reason, it didn't get feet. Not having been directly involved in any discussions between the clubs, I can't say with any certainty why it didn't pan out.

Certainly something worth considering for the future, provided there is dock space on the weekend in question.

I could be wrong, but I suspect Chaise Lounge was talking about the traditional Camden (used to be Camden-Castine) race weekend, as opposed to "this" weekend with the Lobster Fest going on. I think the idea of doing a Camden to Rockland and back has some merit. Seems like it was even brought up at one of the board meetings, but for some reason, it didn't get feet. Not having been directly involved in any discussions between the clubs, I can't say with any certainty why it didn't pan out.

Certainly something worth considering for the future, provided there is dock space on the weekend in question.

I have had some initial conversations with the harbor master. We (RYC) would not offer to do this if we did not feel we could pull it off. The Lobster fest is the following weekend, there is all the dock space (lots) and there may even be tents set up (for the Lobster fest) that we could use. I guess we are interested in feeling everyone out to see if that format might be of interest to all. I will make sure to attend the board meetings so I could expand on the idea a little bit. In the mean time it is helpful to hear what folks think.

I think it's the Camden Yacht Club folks that you really need to get on board with the idea. My impression was that they really wanted to build this as "their" event, so having the big party Saturday night in Rockland might be stealing their thunder, so to speak.

I agree, it would be stealing their thunder as it were..... and we (RYC) do not want to do that as long as they are going to continue to move forward with the event. By default, however dues to restrictions in Camden, it can only go so far.. In the tradition of the Camden-Castine, nothing happened in Camden on Sat pm anyway. We will talk to Camden folks and see what they might think about the idea.

Just thinking out loud, not wanting to step on toes.

I think the more possibilities the better. CYC has been great at working with us on keeping this race going and it is possible the race is seeing a rebirth into a different format. It was great to get a turnout of local boats - a good chunk of which were from Rockland. I'm pretty sure the boats from down south would be happy to visit Camden or Rockland or both, as we all think Penobscot is a pretty cool place to sail - even if the current can drive us batty. If someone (GMORA, CYC-RYC) can get a meeting together with folks from Rockland and from Camden I would imagine there would be some neat ideas to throw out there and develop into a great weekend of racing. If GMORA can help facilitate this, I am sure there are members on the board who would help out.

Come to a meeting - better yet come to the banquet and have fun at the party and talk sailing.

I think the more possibilities the better. CYC has been great at working with us on keeping this race going and it is possible the race is seeing a rebirth into a different format. It was great to get a turnout of local boats - a good chunk of which were from Rockland. I'm pretty sure the boats from down south would be happy to visit Camden or Rockland or both, as we all think Penobscot is a pretty cool place to sail - even if the current can drive us batty. If someone (GMORA, CYC-RYC) can get a meeting together with folks from Rockland and from Camden I would imagine there would be some neat ideas to throw out there and develop into a great weekend of racing. If GMORA can help facilitate this, I am sure there are members on the board who would help out.

Come to a meeting - better yet come to the banquet and have fun at the party and talk sailing.

I will come to a meeting, as I am the RYC rep, and one of our hotels hosted the Banquet last fall, so I was there as well.

But this is what I was hoping we could discuss. Ideas about how to keep the racing going on the Penobscot, and seeing what connections could be made with Rockland and Camden and GMORA. We have a very successful Tuesday night race series at RYC which gets in 3-4 races each Tuesday night for 14 nights, all scored. We have a phrf start and an Etchells start, and now we have a few J24 nosing around so we may be giving them a start in the future. I feel that Racing at RYC is on the build and I look forward to growing it as best we can. We also host the Maine Rocks Race in September and that is a growing race as well.

Plus Penobscot bay is a great place to race!

Do you think Northport Yacht Club might ever want to have the Around Isleboro Race scored by GMORA?

don't know.. maybe we could ask them... ?

I'm on the race committee, as such, and would be happy to bring up the topic with the club/fleet. My personal response would be that there would be limited opposition to the idea. The racers of NYC essentially stick to our John Short series of beer can races held each weekend. There are only a couple of boats that participate in any GMORA series events, so the points would not be a motivation for our club. However, if it meant bringing more boats to AIR, I should think that would be a good reason to consider scoring with GMORA.

One issue, or maybe it isn't; our fleet does not maintain current PHRF certificates for our series. If the AIR was to be scored, we would insist on continuing to allow boats without valid certificates to participate and be eligible for awards (not GMORA awards, but for this particular race).

Another potential issue: we of course have no tie-up dockage, and available moorings are somewhat limited. That said, Belfast is close and they can accommodate plenty of boats.

Personally I think it would be great to have more boats come.

I don't understand why the North Port group does not want to support GMORA by not maintaining current year PHRF certs? I have heard about this before. Any particular reason?

"If the AIR was to be scored, we would insist on continuing to allow boats without valid certificates to participate and be eligible for awards (not GMORA awards, but for this particular race)."

Why would you all insist on this?? Would love to hear what your reasoning is?

What's with the North Port group not wanting to support GMORA by not maintaining current year PHRF certs? I have heard about this before. Any particular reason?

"If the AIR was to be scored, we would insist on continuing to allow boats without valid certificates to participate and be eligible for awards (not GMORA awards, but for this particular race)."

Why would you all insist on this?? Would love to hear what your reasoning is?

Maybe to help support handicap racing in Maine???

I can't speak for everyone, these are just my observations of the fleet: As noted, all but one or two of the boats in the fleet only participate in our JS series (if I were to guess, I would say we have 4-5 cert holders out of 12-15). And of those boats most are on very small budgets that I think we are lucky to have participating at all. Our club dues are fortunately very modest, as are mooring fees in Northport, and we don't have additional race entry fees for the series. In fact, you don't even have to be a member to participate in them. We are very fortunate to get 10 boats on the line every Saturday. What I'm getting at, is that by insisting the boats maintain current certs, it's an added cost in a club that tries to keep things at a very, very, casual and accessible level. Is $50 a big cost? No, but if you're just banging around cans on the weekend, it's just one more thing that adds up. Could members be supporting handicapping in Maine more by paying GMORA fees every year? Probably, that is true of nearly every organization. And what benefit does a beer can racer at NYC (or other small club) see? Are you a member of US Sailing? ISAF? Sail Maine? How about the club for whatever boat design you're racing? Will you join NYC to support us and our school program? If I were to try and support every organization I believed in or was in some way connected to for every activity are participate in, I would be overwhelmed and bankrupt, silly as it may sound. I will admit that I was a GMORA member, but am not currently. I understand that you may not agree with this.

As to the scoring, what I was referring to is that the overall results for the race would be open to everyone - cert or not - as it stands now. I understand that would create a problem for GMORA overall standings, since if the top finishers in the race were non-members, it would potentially mess up the points for those in pursuit of GMORA awards. I'm not clear on how that would work, but I see it as a potential problem. It is still our race, and I can safely say the members, or other participants, would not want to be forced out of awards because of their lack of GMORA membership. For many boats, this is the only race they participate during the season, and by more than doubling the cost and adding paperwork, it could discourage participants.

Again, I can't speak for the club with out talking to them, I'm merely posting my immediate reaction to the question of whether scoring AIR with GMORA would be an advantage or even a welcomed idea to the club. It's good to hear the other side of the argument, so that I can discuss this with the club. Perhaps we are already discovering the reason why it is not part of the GMORA series. I've been around for 10yrs, an active member for 6, and have never heard the topic come up.

EDIT: To add, my post comes off sounding as though it is purely a cost issue, but that's not exactly what I was trying to say. It is also a cost/benefit issue. As well as understanding the level of competition that is being compared. Members may not be against joining GMORA, but haven't been informed of all the benefits of doing so. Perhaps it's a lack of exposure to the organization.

As to the scoring, what I was referring to is that the overall results for the race would be open to everyone - cert or not - as it stands now. I understand that would create a problem for GMORA overall standings, since if the top finishers in the race were non-members, it would potentially mess up the points for those in pursuit of GMORA awards. I'm not clear on how that would work, but I see it as a potential problem. It is still our race, and I can safely say the members, or other participants, would not want to be forced out of awards because of their lack of GMORA membership. For many boats, this is the only race they participate during the season, and by more than doubling the cost and adding paperwork, it could discourage participants.

I think some clarification on GMORA membership is in order. :)

For a club to get GMORA to score its race, it's generally expected that they join the organization (cost is pretty nominal at $75). Among the benefits, in addition to the scoring and promotion which might boost participation, is help with race management, if they ask for it.

GMORA's main mission is to score its members toward season trophies. GMORA does not run races, nor does it place any conditions on a club running the race (other than the aforementioned $75 club membership for scoring). Clubs are free to open up racing to anyone, and most do. Most every race on the circuit has had participants that were not GMORA members. I know Centerboard, Harraseeket, Pilot, Boothbay, and and SITR all had at least one or two non-member boats, maybe more. No one is going to be "forced out of awards" because they're not a member of GMORA.

As for the "potential problem" of top finishers being non-members messing up season scoring for members: For years, our boat regularly her ass kicked at both Boothbay and SITR by a local guy who was not a GMORA member. No big deal. Most GMORA boats sail enough races that they can throw out a couple suboptimal finishes. I can't speak for all the members, but I don't know of any who would perceive that as a problem. If I'm wrong, maybe someone will speak up.

The only race I can think of that actually requires the certs might be the Monhegan.

"I can't speak for everyone, these are just my observations of the fleet: As noted, all but one or two of the boats in the fleet only participate in our JS series (if I were to guess, I would say we have 4-5 cert holders out of 12-15). And of those boats most are on very small budgets that I think we are lucky to have participating at all. Our club dues are fortunately very modest, as are mooring fees in Northport, and we don't have additional race entry fees for the series. In fact, you don't even have to be a member to participate in them. We are very fortunate to get 10 boats on the line every Saturday. What I'm getting at, is that by insisting the boats maintain current certs, it's an added cost in a club that tries to keep things at a very, very, casual and accessible level. Is $50 a big cost? No, but if you're just banging around cans on the weekend, it's just one more thing that adds up. Could members be supporting handicapping in Maine more by paying GMORA fees every year? Probably, that is true of nearly every organization. And what benefit does a beer can racer at NYC (or other small club) see? Are you a member of US Sailing? ISAF? Sail Maine? How about the club for whatever boat design you're racing? Will you join NYC to support us and our school program? If I were to try and support every organization I believed in or was in some way connected to for every activity are participate in, I would be overwhelmed and bankrupt, silly as it may sound. I will admit that I was a GMORA member, but am not currently. I understand that you may not agree with this."

Ok, fair enough explanation of the position there. Where do your boats get their ratings from for the Sat races that you do?

We try to hold a tough line at RYC insisting that boats for our Tuesday night series have current ratings. These are scored races, with multiple races each of the 14 race nights, which we then divide in two series. We use phrf handicapping and so it seems to be a basic component in participating in the series to have a valid phrf cert.

For a club to get GMORA to score its race, it's generally expected that they join the organization (cost is pretty nominal at $75). Among the benefits, in addition to the scoring and promotion which might boost participation, is help with race management, if they ask for it.

From this description it sounds as though there is very little reason why a club with members not in pursuit of a GMORA trophy would actively pursue GMORA scoring. As I said before, I cannot speak for the club with out talking to the active members, and I will make efforts to do so this weekend. I will certainly try to present the advantages and disadvantages and report back with some feedback. At first it sounded like a good idea to me, but in a short time I now see more complications rather than advantages.

The scoring/awards issues seem to be of no concern, so ultimately it comes down to whether the club wants to pay $75 and allow GMORA to score. Begs the question of who is asking whom for the favor.

Where do your boats get their ratings from for the Sat races that you do?

We try to hold a tough line at RYC insisting that boats for our Tuesday night series have current ratings. These are scored races, with multiple races each of the 14 race nights, which we then divide in two series. We use phrf handicapping and so it seems to be a basic component in participating in the series to have a valid phrf cert.

Our series is across 6 weekends, having 7 scored races and 2 or 3 fun races. We award an overall trophy at the end of the season. We do utilize PHRF, from the PHRF New England base handicaps list. The boats range from 90 to 212 (and sometimes higher). I gather your point was that we should support the organization that develops said list. Many (if not all) of the boats have paid for, and received a certificate for their particular boat at one time (typically at purchase or if modifications were made). However, when the boat is unchanged year after year and the only number that changes is the date... it is difficult to justify paying for such a document.

Using the same argument: which set of Racing Rules do you use? And if the answer is that of RRS - I would ask again if all RYC and GMORA members are ISAF and USSA members. Those are the two organizations responsible for the creation and updating those rules, thus if you are going to utilize and abide by them you ought to be paying for it, no? I myself have never been a member of either.

I'm not trying to point fingers or say anyone is right or wrong, simply illustrating different view points. This again is strictly my observation and not the express viewpoint of Northport Yacht Club or its members (well, except for myself!).

Well shit, I guess I've opened a can of worms here.

Since we were talking about GMORA-sanctioned racing in Penobscot Bay (Camden, Rockland), I just thought of the Around Isleboro Race as a nice race, to which more boats might be enticed if it counted towards the GMORA season standings...

In general I think cross-fertlization is a good thing -- that we sailors can only benefit by sailing in a variety of different venues and against a variety of different competitors; and that local clubs can benefit by interaction with a variety of "outsiders" on a variety of occaisions. Cloistered isolation is only good for monks!

The argument I would make to the NYC (or any other club) is that for $75, their race(s) can get advertized and promoted on the GMORA website and in the annual Maine Yacht Racing Yearbook, and that additional boats both from within Penobscot Bay and from beyond might be attracted to participate. Since the AIR race is run as a fundraisier for the NYC sailing school, more boats could potentially mean more funds raised. But perhaps as important, more boats could also mean that the standard of competition, and the stature of the race, might rise as well. I suppose some local club members might be scared by that, but I would think most would likely welcome it. (And I'm not trying to suggest that the standard of competition in the AIR is low; it's not!)

Perhaps another part of my motivation for bringing up this idea was that the GMORA schedule seems so heavily Casco Bay centered. I suppose this makes some sense in that that's where the population and thus the boats are more densely located, but it just seems like there is so much more to the Gulf of Maine than that. Perhaps that's easy for me to say, with my boat located on the mid-coast about equi-distant from Penobscot Bay as from Casco Bay (i.e. a day's sail either way!)....

From this description it sounds as though there is very little reason why a club with members not in pursuit of a GMORA trophy would actively pursue GMORA scoring. As I said before, I cannot speak for the club with out talking to the active members, and I will make efforts to do so this weekend. I will certainly try to present the advantages and disadvantages and report back with some feedback. At first it sounded like a good idea to me, but in a short time I now see more complications rather than advantages.

The scoring/awards issues seem to be of no concern, so ultimately it comes down to whether the club wants to pay $75 and allow GMORA to score. Begs the question of who is asking whom for the favor.

Where do your boats get their ratings from for the Sat races that you do?

Our series is across 6 weekends, having 7 scored races and 2 or 3 fun races. We award an overall trophy at the end of the season. We do utilize PHRF, from the PHRF New England base handicaps list. The boats range from 90 to 212 (and sometimes higher). I gather your point was that we should support the organization that develops said list. Many (if not all) of the boats have paid for, and received a certificate for their particular boat at one time (typically at purchase or if modifications were made). However, when the boat is unchanged year after year and the only number that changes is the date... it is difficult to justify paying for such a document.

Using the same argument: which set of Racing Rules do you use? And if the answer is that of RRS - I would ask again if all RYC and GMORA members are ISAF and USSA members. Those are the two organizations responsible for the creation and updating those rules, thus if you are going to utilize and abide by them you ought to be paying for it, no? I myself have never been a member of either.

I'm not trying to point fingers or say anyone is right or wrong, simply illustrating different view points. This again is strictly my observation and not the express viewpoint of Northport Yacht Club or its members (well, except for myself!).

RYC uses the RRS, and has a club membership with US Sailing, and many of the racers have membership in US Sailing as well. (not all for sure but many). So I guess in a way we do help support the creation of the RRS.

Since we were talking about GMORA-sanctioned racing in Penobscot Bay (Camden, Rockland), I just thought of the Around Isleboro Race as a nice race, to which more boats might be enticed if it counted towards the GMORA season standings...

In general I think cross-fertlization is a good thing -- that we sailors can only benefit by sailing in a variety of different venues and against a variety of different competitors; and that local clubs can benefit by interaction with a variety of "outsiders" on a variety of occaisions. Cloistered isolation is only good for monks!

The argument I would make to the NYC (or any other club) is that for $75, their race(s) can get advertized and promoted on the GMORA website and in the annual Maine Yacht Racing Yearbook, and that additional boats both from within Penobscot Bay and from beyond might be attracted to participate. Since the AIR race is run as a fundraisier for the NYC sailing school, more boats could potentially mean more funds raised. But perhaps as important, more boats could also mean that the standard of competition, and the stature of the race, might rise as well. I suppose some local club members might be scared by that, but I would think most would likely welcome it. (And I'm not trying to suggest that the standard of competition in the AIR is low; it's not!)

Perhaps another part of my motivation for bringing up this idea was that the GMORA schedule seems so heavily Casco Bay centered. I suppose this makes some sense in that that's where the population and thus the boats are more densely located, but it just seems like there is so much more to the Gulf of Maine than that. Perhaps that's easy for me to say, with my boat located on the mid-coast about equi-distant from Penobscot Bay as from Casco Bay (i.e. a day's sail either way!)....

+1 on this as well. I am trying to heat up the local racing scene, in terms of GMORA connection. GMORA has long been Casco Bay centric, and there are many reasons why. But the racing scene is heating up in Pen Bay, RYC and NYC and so it might make sense (one could argue) to try and get a couple more GMORA 'sanctioned' event here. and also get the events that are already GMORA, Camden/Castine (Camden Camden) heated up and drawing more boats.

that's all I was thinking

I agree with all that you said, my intention in this discussion is not to say one way or the other whether it would be a good idea to include AIR in GMORA or not. What happened is that the issue of PHRF certificates became the center of discussion, and I think that is just a difference in need between some clubs and owners.

With out question $75 for added promotion and increased participation would be a good idea; the concern was that it wouldn't be quite that simple.

Again, I'm happy to bring up the topic with the other members of the club and see what their reactions are. Until then, this seems like a debate about the ethics of utilizing PHRF.

I don't see where anyone was asking for a favor, Jangles; plese accept my apologies if it came across that way. I piped in only because there seemed to be a misconception about the impact GMORA scoring might have on a club's regatta. I wanted to make clear that a club is free to run and score its regatta as it pleases.

BTW, there are numerous certificate holders/GMORA members who race only once or twice a season, and thus are not even in the hunt for season trophies. There are at least a couple that I know of who never race at all. Not sure why they bother with a cert, but the organization appreciates their support of its mission to promote and score racing.

Edited to add: I think Greyhawk said it best (as he nearly always does).

I am sure this has been covered before, but I cannot find it. Can anyone help with the answer or point me to where it has been put before? I am looking for a list of all the distance races that will (or are supposed to) take place north of Cape Cod in the summer of 2011. By distance I mean at least 125 miles. The ones I know of are

Marblehead-Halifax

Monhegan

Any others? Any starting from the LIS/RI areas and going to Maine like the Stonington-Boothbay (which won't run again until 2012)?

Thanks!

2N

I am sure this has been covered before, but I cannot find it. Can anyone help with the answer or point me to where it has been put before? I am looking for a list of all the distance races that will (or are supposed to) take place north of Cape Cod in the summer of 2011. By distance I mean at least 125 miles. The ones I know of are

Marblehead-Halifax

Monhegan

Any others? Any starting from the LIS/RI areas and going to Maine like the Stonington-Boothbay (which won't run again until 2012)?

Thanks!

2N

Those are the only ones I can think of. The Rocks Race is about 115+-. Keep in mind that only one class in the Monhegan -- rating of 60 or less -- does a course of greater than 125 nm.

Speaking of Monhegan, looks like a year for the light-air guys. Sailflow has winds maxing out at a wimpy 4-6 knots, then dying completely. Anyone want to take bets on how many will finish before it goes compeltely flat at 11 a.m. Saturday?

Wow, what great exchange of thoughts and ideas, sorry I'm late to the party.

I've been involved in GMORA and I have to say I personally would LOVE to see Penobscot Bay get more organizations involved in GMORA and more races scored. It would be a thrill to see boats in that area scoring enough points to challenge overall trophies and the Dirigo Bowl. The qualifications for these trophies have evolved to a wonderful point that Penobscot Bay boats can qualify - IF they mix it up with boats outside their local area a little. Just like boats from Casco Bay HAVE to at least get to Boothbay to qualify. The idea behind this is, as Greyhawk put so well. to encourage better competition by sailing both outside of well known waters but also against different competition.

Lately the longer races seem to be getting a little more interest than the shorter around-the-bouy races, putting the Around Isleboro Race in a position to gain some attention. The ONLY thing that needs to happen to get that race on the schedule is for NYC to join GMORA for $75. This gets the race on the GMORA schedule, the small amount of publicity that comes with it, and the enticement to the boats that compete for season trophies to attend. This does not change the regatta in any way. It's the club's reagatta and they run it as they see fit, requiring PHRF certs or not, providing moorings or not, having a party or not. It's still comletely their event, except GMORA is available to offer support if desired such as PRO advice.

And as for the Rockland boats - the Casco Bay boats aren't worried, We'll come give you lessons any time you like B)

And as for the Rockland boats - the Casco Bay boats aren't worried, We'll come give you lessons any time you like B)

oh ho ho ho ho! I see how it really is! and so the gauntlet comes down!

Thanks C Koch and Greyhawk for the race info.

I wonder what the appetite would be for a spring race headed south, Mid-Coast (say Port Clyde, Rockland or Boothbay) to Mass coast (say Provincetown, Marblehead or Sandwich). It could be fun for boats headed to MA, RI and LIS for the spring to turn the GOM crossing into a little race. I'm thinking along the lines of first weekend in May. If anyone is interested, let me know. And we could always select different start and/or finish.

2N

Speaking of Monhegan, looks like a year for the light-air guys. Sailflow has winds maxing out at a wimpy 4-6 knots, then dying completely. Anyone want to take bets on how many will finish before it goes compeltely flat at 11 a.m. Saturday?

Finish by 1100 on Saturday, when they didn't start us until 1500 on Friday? That's asking a lot, isn't it? :lol:

Anyway, Rail Meat started a thread with posts about his experience on DRAGON, to which we on GREYHAWK have added our story...

howdy folks,

just wanted to put a plug in for Northeast Harbor Race - Friday 1pm start. 100 miles short course - long course is 112 this year I think. Portland Harbor to Northeast Harbor. Winds look decent right now, moon will be just past full, should be a great sail!

Right now we have a fleet of 3 cruisers, 4 double-handed and 4 racing - we would like to see this flesh out a bit more.

go to the GMORA website to register, or PM me for more details.

Who's going to Around Islesboro race?

I've had limited opportunity to talk with the other members concerning GMORA scoring of AIR. Our regular weekend racing season is over and all the participants have not been present (myself included). Those that I have spoken to were essentially indifferent to the idea. I would suggest that anyone interested in having the race scored, attend the race, voice their desires at that point. For the time being there aren't any boats (that I'm aware of) who specifically want the race to count towards their GMORA standing. I gather a sense that for NYC's purposes there is no immediate need to draw in more boats for this event. That said, if a number of AIR participants wanted scoring, I'm fairly sure it could be done.

I will of course be at AIR. For those who don't know it is held on Saturday, Sept. 11th. Start and finish is off the Bayside docks (Northport) with the course circumnavigating Islesboro. I'm unaware of any GMORA events that weekend, so I encourage everyone to come!

Link to NOR and Entry

I've given the GMORA/Around Islesboro idea some thought and I think it would be best for the event to stay as the local, somewhat quirky, race that it is. It's my very favorite event of the season.

That said the RYC website has been updated with the NOR for the Maine Rocks Race and an e-mail shout out will go to all past participants tomorrow.

To my short handed friends - have a great Northeast Harbor Race. Very sorry it wouldn't work out for Walkabout.

Wow, what great exchange of thoughts and ideas, sorry I'm late to the party.

I've been involved in GMORA and I have to say I personally would LOVE to see Penobscot Bay get more organizations involved in GMORA and more races scored. It would be a thrill to see boats in that area scoring enough points to challenge overall trophies and the Dirigo Bowl. The qualifications for these trophies have evolved to a wonderful point that Penobscot Bay boats can qualify - IF they mix it up with boats outside their local area a little. Just like boats from Casco Bay HAVE to at least get to Boothbay to qualify. The idea behind this is, as Greyhawk put so well. to encourage better competition by sailing both outside of well known waters but also against different competition.

Lately the longer races seem to be getting a little more interest than the shorter around-the-bouy races, putting the Around Isleboro Race in a position to gain some attention. The ONLY thing that needs to happen to get that race on the schedule is for NYC to join GMORA for $75. This gets the race on the GMORA schedule, the small amount of publicity that comes with it, and the enticement to the boats that compete for season trophies to attend. This does not change the regatta in any way. It's the club's reagatta and they run it as they see fit, requiring PHRF certs or not, providing moorings or not, having a party or not. It's still comletely their event, except GMORA is available to offer support if desired such as PRO advice.

really? I guess it wasn't worth it for them , Stickboy.

For years certain entities have had there races included on the GMORA schedule without being members.

just wanted to put a plug in for Northeast Harbor Race - Friday 1pm start. 100 miles short course - long course is 112 this year I think. Portland Harbor to Northeast Harbor. Winds look decent right now, moon will be just past full, should be a great sail!

Thanks for a great race!

This year's the Centerboard Yacht Club Northeast Harbor Race was a great success. We had 13 boats in 3 divisions racing 100 miles from Portland to Mount Desert Island. The fleet took off on Friday in a steady westerly breeze that quickly swung around to the southwest sea breeze. For a little while you could see boats with spinnakers on the same course as boats close-hauled.

Sunset saw Sequin fading behind and Monhegan abeam for most of the fleet. The wind started back around to the West and eventually Northwest. Soon the moon rose, nearly full, and lit up the sea as the fleet neared and passed Matinicus Rock. Boats were visited by whales and porpoises plus many sea birds and seals. Sunrise found the fleet heading north towards Greater and Little Duck Islands and then on to the finish.

The entire fleet finished during the daylight on Saturday and made it into the harbor in time for dinner. Sunday's brunch was well attended with over 40 crew members in attendance, sharing stories about encounters with a floating stump that look like a whale and rafts of seaweed that appeared to follow certain boats. After the brunch many members of the fleet headed out on one or two week cruises downeast. Other boats headed back westward towards home and the fall sailing season.

Many thanks to all of the participants who made this race the adventure it is. We also are grateful for the sponsorship of Bayview Sails & Rigging, Maine Yacht Center and the Kimball Terrace Inn. Plans are already in the works for next year, a date will be announced at the GMORA Banquet this fall.

The results

Cruising Class:

Peregrine, Chris Allen

Trader, Steve Purdy

Aeolus, Tim Reilley

Southern Cross, Chris Loader & Steve Hudson

Gandalf, Steve Booth

Double-Handed:

Greyhawk - Tim Allen

Cat's Paw - Butch Minson

Imagine - Randy Rice

Racing:

Keemah - Don Logan

Buzz - Rich Stevenson

Libra - Barney Baker

Sans Cullottes - Robert Johnston

Furtherback - Chris Stewart

Good for you, Cat. It sounds like a great time.

Neat to hear that Steve Purdy on Trader is still at it!

Same Trader, different Steve. The next generation has stepped up.

Of course, must be Steve Junior! That makes sense... I learned to race on Trader with Steve Senior etc.... Weds nights and then even the Yarmouth Cup!

Serious question! Mrs. Blowhard and I are coming up from Florida next weekend to work on R/C for the J/24 Downeast Regatta. Need to know what is the sailors' bar in Portland!

Welcome Blowhard:

You will find that Portland has some great bars. But before I can get you to the right one: How old are you? and how hot is Mrs. Blowhard? Where are you staying?

These questions are very important for my friends here so we can match you correctly.

Effective age, about 45. Hmmm, I need to recalculate this in dog years. Mainsheetgirl and Sol Rosenberg, your opinions?

Race organizers are finding us a place to crash.

IMHO, Ms BH is indeed hot.

Favorite bars in Miami are Scotty's Landing, Tobacco Road and Democratic Republic of Beer. End of the World Bar in Bimini. The old Taurus was excellent as was 'Duke's in Annapolis.

Prefer places with acoustic music so people can hear themselves talk / think. Intelligent conversation preferred, where talk of sports people only involves how well they do foredeck, not RBI's, yardage, goals, etc.

We have an offer in on a place at Bucksport & if it comes through, y'all will be hopefully seeing more of us. Ms BH will let you know how bad summers in S.FL really suck.

We don't play beer pong or body shot twister. Wine pong, maybe, as long as it has a screw top.

I picked my avatar because he is wearing a "Jimmy Hat" which is very important here in S. FL. He's much better looking than I am.

Awaiting your advices!

Ok-

Next to the Portland Yacht club there is The Falmouth Sea Grill...They have an outside bar that may still be open next weekend. I would say this is a favorite of the fleet and maybe the only real sailors bar we have. But in Portland there are many Bars enjoyed by sailors and more normal people. In the Old Port Section there are many. The Old Port Sea Grill is fun and a great place for Oysters ( don't go to Jay's Oyster Bar). Re Ra's is a great Irish bar. The interior was actually shipped over from Ireland. The crowd may get a bit young as the night grows old but its still fun. If you are really into the Irish Pub thing Brian Baruo (sp) is less interesting but more age appropriate, GRITTY MC DUFFS is the local brew pub with wonderful beer. I bet you will see acoustic music here. Out side the old port NOSH is a great place to eat and drink especialy late night. That is "down town" a short walk from the Old Port. Look up "the Portland Pheniox" on line that may help you find some fun things to do while you are here.

I'm glad your wife is hot,

Kitty

2 1/2 cents

Foreside Tavern on route 1 - nearish to PYC/HBS - good food & drink, usually a tolerable crowd. As Kitty says we don't have many sailor bars around. There is Oasis on Wharf street in the old port - owned by a J24 sailor - but not at all acoustic... There is 3 Dollar Deweys - always quiet there I'm afraid (used to be "the" bar - now it is a Breakfast Club reunion...) Lots of people like Bull Feeney's on Fore Street... good hot toddy's. However there will be plenty of food and drink at the festivities of the regatta - though the music won't be acoustic I don't think...

Lots of good food and restaurants around in the area.

Why Bucksport?

see you this weekend

Doug Pope reports 8 boats signed up for the Maine Rocks Race so far, 4 single-handers and 4 double-handers. I think there is still time to get your entry in, and get your boat up to Rockland!

Race of the season getting set up at the North end of Penobscot Bay. Boats converging all day on the little hamlet of Bayside, where the folks there are very very friendly! WInd was sweeping out of the North all day, tomorrow, race day, looks like it will be sunny with a steady North N E breeze.

Its the 2010 Around Islesboro Race, sponsored by the NorthPort Yacht Club.

Doug Pope reports 8 boats signed up for the Maine Rocks Race so far, 4 single-handers and 4 double-handers. I think there is still time to get your entry in, and get your boat up to Rockland!

There are now ten boats signed up. 5 singles and 5 doubles. I expect at least one more double and there are a couple of regulars MIA. I'll except entries at the skipper's meeting Friday night.

Surveyors?

No, I'm not buying a new boat.

Any opinions on Tony Theriault vs. Kevin Harris vs. Joe Lobley?

Brain Hathaway doesn't seem interested in the job.

Any others I should consider (who would come to Boothbay Harbor)?

Thanks!

Please do tell more about the AIR. I missed it playing with Fleet 43 in Falmouth this weekend.

Kitty - how was the wedding?

Cat in the Hat,

Slightly out of context, as this is a copy of an email we sent out to the RYC racing group. But most of the story is here.....

So the fleet blasted down the West side of the bay and careened around the Islesboro ferry dock and went skittering into Gilkey's harbor, to line up for the run through Brackets channel. At one point in the middle of the channel, it was a pile up of RYC boats, Jeff Dinse just ahead, (no chute-- blown to bits back near the start) on a rental J24, Migis Magic wedged between Sea Jab and Panacea, and Badger right behind with Blue Bird and Black Bear closing in fast. Just above this group, Walkabout watched as Sans Culottes caught a puff 9massive rig) rounded up quite nicely and started heading straight for the shore, which of course was only a few feet away, (just standing back up straight and turning around in the nick of time in the very narrow channel!) The fleet then drained out of Brackets Channel and hung the left around Pendleton Point for the long slosh to windward back up the bay.

But wait, as they emerged the fleet discovered that wind speeds had moderated and the sea was quite calm due in part because they were in the lee of the island. With the tide running out and down the bay, much of the fleet short tacked the shore and others went across to the Castine side looking for more wind. The day was perfect and the fleet enjoyed a beautiful beat to Turtle Head and a nice quiet reach back across to Bayside. Bayside was a different place when the fleet arrive from that which it was when they left.

Special thanks to NYC for hosting a great post race gathering, (crock pot after crock pot of fantastic food), and for hosting another fantastic edition of the Around Islesboro Race!

Results PDF here: 2010 AIR OVERALL FINISH.pdf

Tony did a great job for me, and he drove to Boothbay.

Mark

Surveyors?

No, I'm not buying a new boat.

Any opinions on Tony Theriault vs. Kevin Harris vs. Joe Lobley?

Brain Hathaway doesn't seem interested in the job.

Any others I should consider (who would come to Boothbay Harbor)?

Thanks!

Thanks Chaise - sounds like a great day of sailing. Glad everyone avoided the shore - tends to put a damper on the day. The most wind we saw in Casco Bay was 13-15 - what did you guys get up there?

It was puffing 25 easy at the start (downwind) right out of NNW. It was a gas to wath the J35's round up and broach, on that first down wind run! WILD!

I was sorry to see the is Scuttlebutt. I always thought that must have been quite an adventure.

EIGHT BELLS

Dodge Morgan, the entrepreneur turned sailor who set a solo, non-stop world

rounding record in 1986, died over the weekend after falling ill at his home

on Snow Island Maine. In 1986, Morgan sailed his Hood-designed 60-foot

cutter, American Promise, past a line at St. David's Light in Bermuda from

which he had started 150-days earlier. His time knocked weeks off the solo

world record as it stood. Morgan, a wonderful raconteur, wrote of his

adventures in American Promise Circles the World. Funeral details have not

been announced.

I was sorry to see the is Scuttlebutt. I always thought that must have been quite an adventure.

EIGHT BELLS

been announced.

Very sad to hear this. I thought I saw him in Boothbay this summer on his MONK 36.

EIGHT BELLS

been announced.

Very sad to hear this. I thought I saw him in Boothbay this summer on his MONK 36.

This is indeed terrible news, but I can't seem to verify it anywhere. I would think the newspaper he owned for so long would at least have an obituary but I can't find anything.

EIGHT BELLS

been announced.

This is indeed terrible news, but I can't seem to verify it anywhere. I would think the newspaper he owned for so long would at least have an obituary but I can't find anything.

Portland Press Herald: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mainetoday-pressherald/obituary.aspx?n=dodge-david-morgan&pid=145388101

Very sad.

What a great time last weekend working with PRO Mark Toso on the J/24 Downeast Regatta! Good wind, good times, great hospitality. Just learned our offer was accepted on our new Summah Place in Bucksport so Miz Blowhard and I will definitely be back.

What a great time last weekend working with PRO Mark Toso on the J/24 Downeast Regatta! Good wind, good times, great hospitality. Just learned our offer was accepted on our new Summah Place in Bucksport so Miz Blowhard and I will definitely be back.

Good to hear! We look forward to seeing you upon your return. Have fun in the sun!

The Maine Rocks Race saw a good swell running this past weekend from Hurricane Igor. Here it is showing off at the South Breaker between Criehaven and Matinicus Rock:

post-9037-029983700 1285086229_thumb.jpg

The surf was especially impressive on the eastern side of Mt. Desert Rock, perhaps in part due to the fact that the Rocks Race fleet was rounding there in the middle of the night. You definitely did not want to cut the corner across the ledge that extends to the NE of the rock!

The wind was a bit fluky there (I wonder if the surf had anything to do with that?) so dousing my spinnaker as I was going around the rock, the chute got tangled up in the shrouds at the first spreader -- half the sail in the cockpit, half the sail still up in the air. After getting my genoa set and the boat going close hauled on it's way back to Matinicus Rock, I went to work trying to figure out how to hoist myself up there to untangle the chute before the moon set. I ended up using the lifting tackle that came with my LifeSling -- pulled one end up with the staysail halyard, clipped the other end to my climbing harness, and hauled away on the line.

Got it done.

Had to.

Single-handed racing is pretty crazy!

Results: Cat's Paw took first place in the double-handed division, and first place overall in the fleet, won the family crew award, and locked up the competition for the Ocean Planet Trophy. Greyhawk walked away with first place in the single-handed division.

A hearty congratulations to Butch and Betty, and a big, big thank you to Doug Pope and the Rockland Yacht Club for putting on this great race!