Gulf of maine scuttlebut

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

My thoughts are that I'm sorry to see the end of the West Bay Race, I always enjoyed the 2-day destination event. However, after last year I predicted the end of that race since the discussion was ultimately about how much of a hassle it was for many boats to relocate (made it a 3 or 4 day commitment) also the loss of the use of Atlantic Challenge dock (or whatever it's called now) made it less convenient.

I'm glad there is an event to replace it, the Solstice Race, but I doubt I'll travel down for it this year.

The Rockland/Castine is certainly intriguing, I like pursuits, Retired Skippers is always fun, but a bit of a nightmare to set up. It will be interesting to see how it fairs compared to the Camden to Castine of recent years. One conflict in scheduling is with Marblehead to Halifax this year, though I suppose there aren't too many GMORA boats participating.

Good on RYC for trying to build up the beyond the breakwater racing. From the NYC end though, I suspect we're still going to be focused on the John Shorts. In the end, it seems travel time is a killer, as noted by the death of the West Bay Race. I get the feeling from most of our members that there continues to be little interest in GMORA. There was some chatter about Mainstays doing more of the circuit, and perhaps Jabberwocky or Joi d'vie signing on for a couple events. Underdog needs more crew and funding before playing...

What do you all think of the schedule? How about the Rockland/Castine? I think it will be a pursuit race.

I don't think so....

If it were not a pursuit race would you be more inclined to come up for it?

I'd like to support Rockland YC and Camden YC with our participation

We would like to participate, too. Unfortunately, other family has claimed dibs on that time -- will be a tricky negotiation...

• 1 month later...

2011 RACE SCHEDULE

Racing Schedule 2011

Event

Date

Counts toward region Race days Geographic area

SailMaine Shakedown Regatta June 4 N/A N/A N/A

Centerboard Regatta June 11 W 1 W

Pilot Race June 18-19 W 2 W

Harraseeket Regatta June 25 W 1 W

Rockland to Castine July 9-10 C 2 C

MDI Series I July 10 E 1 E

Camden Yacht Regatta July 16-17 C 2 C

Hospice Regatta

MDI Series II for Down East PHRF Championship

July 16-17 E 2 E

Boothbay Harbor Regatta July 23-24 W, C 2 C

Downeast Challenge Race July 23-24 W, C 2 W,C

MDI Series III July 24 E 1 E

Seguin Island Trophy Race July 30-31 W, C 2 C

Tom Morris Memorial Pursuit Race (MDI Comm. Sailing Ctr.) July 31 E 1 E

MDI Series IV August 7 E 1 E

Monhegan Regatta August 12-14 W 2 W

Downeast Race Weekend August 12-14 E 3 E

MS Regatta August 20 W 1 W

PHRF New Englands August 26-28 Overall 3 Any

Northeast Harbor Race August 26 W, C, E 2 Any

Maine Rocks Race Sept. 17-18 C 2 C

PYC Lightship Sept. 17 W 1 W

PYC Lightship and Fall Series Sept. 17, 24, Oct. 1, 8 W 1 W

GMORA Awards Night

What do you all think of the schedule? How about the Rockland/Castine? I think it will be a pursuit race.

I don't think so....

If it were not a pursuit race would you be more inclined to come up for it?

We are committed requardless of format...looks to be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Dirty Doggie- how about a quest apperance?

Jerk- come on back, baby...

would love it, my brothah from anothah mothah

Ohhhh Daddy is excited.......

Kitty,

I would be up for a guest appearance this season on BDP if it works for you and can work out schedule wise. I am practicing and racing in the Med on the new Aegir all of June, the first 1/2 of July and first 1/2 September but will be in New England otherwise. I know, tough schedule huh...

Cheers,

Bobo

Kitty,

I would be up for a guest appearance this season on BDP if it works for you and can work out schedule wise. I am practicing and racing in the Med on the new Aegir all of June, the first 1/2 of July and first 1/2 September but will be in New England otherwise. I know, tough schedule huh...

Cheers,

Bobo

Bobo, hope you get to Maine for some fun. I will be in RI a few times this summer and want to scam a ride on some sweet sled. My schedule however does not bring me to the Med this June. B)

Kitty, you doing any pre-game this May?

Things certainly look precipitous on the PYC webcam today, nice to see the floats and moorings in the water. Mrs. B is PRO for the Sarasota Bay Cup this weekend and I'm running the Hospice By The Sea Regatta in Ft. Lauderdale the next weekend. Mrs. Blowhard and I will be leaving for Bucksport on 5/20. Can't wait, it'll be good to see y'all!

I hope Mr & Mrs Blowhard enjoyed their winter down south. We are looking forward to a great season of sailing in Maine this summer. There will be a lot of mucking about in boats all over Maine. Things start up in the Portland area around the last week of May first of June. We hope to see you around.

Kitty,

Cheers,

Bobo

Bobo, hope you get to Maine for some fun. I will be in RI a few times this summer and want to scam a ride on some sweet sled. My schedule however does not bring me to the Med this June. B)

Kitty, you doing any pre-game this May?

Last time we were arll together we were finishing the 30th beer is Halifax! BoBo love to have you , my girl will send your girl the schedual...

Dog- we splash next weekend so after that we are sailing. I'll call you.

Goddess of cheap rum checking in!

Recently purchased a handle of Mount Gay with a rebate hang tag. The tag is a $10 rebate for 1.75 liter bottle up to 3 bottles (lesser dollars for lesser bottles). In other words 3 bottles = $30 dollars rebate maximum.

I don’t know if this actually works as advertised but that’s the hype. I will be sending in my rebate to see what happens. Offer good until August 31 only in certain states one of which is ME, also NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DC, MD, SC, DE, various restrictions apply, blah, blah, blah, read the tag, etc.

small print: you must use the actual rebate hang tag (no copies), original receipt (no copies) and a street address (not a PO Box) for the rebate, or so it says. In other words no pirates please.

Summer is coming – ENJOY!!!!

Navy

• 2 weeks later...

What's the scoop on the "Down East Challenge", anyone here done it?

Marblehead to Rockland, From the MorAss schedule?

Most of the Maine boats have been RYC single handers. Marblehead YC does a nice job hosting the start. It's usually a downwind ride until the wind shuts down about the time you reach Monhegan. It can be a real sleigh ride though. One year, when the start was in Gloucester, I made the trip in 16 hours. RYC throws a lobster feed for the awards dinner. The Cone of Silence did it a couple of years ago.

Most of the Maine boats have been RYC single handers. Marblehead YC does a nice job hosting the start. It's usually a downwind ride until the wind shuts down about the time you reach Monhegan. It can be a real sleigh ride though. One year, when the start was in Gloucester, I made the trip in 16 hours. RYC throws a lobster feed for the awards dinner. The Cone of Silence did it a couple of years ago.

If I remember correctly - The Cone was beat by Beausoleil as well last time it was done? There must have been wind!

Look at todays front page!

Go Tim and Greyhawk!!!!!!!!

Very impresive

Thanks Kitty. Finished leg 1 fourth in class 3 (only 50 minutes corrected time out of 3rd after over 100 hours of sailing), 12th overall in the fleet. Looking forward to sailing leg 2 back to Newport with Wendy.

Other Maine-based boats:

Bluebird, 1st in Class 4, 1st in Fleet -- congrats to Gust!

Resolute, 5th in Class 1, 19th in Fleet

Adhara, 4th in Class 2, 17th in Fleet

Tyger Tyger, 5th in Class 2, 18th in Fleet

Panacea, 5th in Class 4, 15th in Fleet

An interesting observation -- most of the fleet is moored to the quay at the St. George's Dinghy and Sports Club, but there are 6 boats that are anchored out (going back and forth by dinghy). Guess which ones?

(Ok, Resolute is med moored, and Strummer isn't based in Maine although she was built there...)

PS. anyone who wants to read the e-mails I sent out from the boat during the race, from which the stuff that made it to the front page was excerpted, can do so here. We'll be sending out updates for the race back, too.

Everyone all dried out now from Saturday? Centerboard had a nice turnout despite the rain and cold. Noteworthy was that Cruising Class not only completed two races, they won the party at CYC, then had a second, supplemental party on board one of the participants' boats in the harbor, complete with live entertainment.

Congratulations to the following division winners: Scott Smithwick's Kaos in Racing Class A, Don Logan’s Keemah in Racing Class B, and Randy Rice’s Rita P in Cruising Class.

Complete results for the Centerboard Regatta are here.

Here is the short version:

Racing Class A

1. Kaos, Scott Smithwick

2. Go Dog Go, David Ruff

3. Big Dog Party, Peter Price

4. County Girl, William Newberry

5. Buzz, Richard Stevenson

6. Beausoleil, Richard Parent

Racing Class B

1. Keemah, Don Logan

2. Village Bicycle, Rich Ketchum

3. Revolution, Doyle Marchant

4. Tango, Pam Thomas

5. Altercation, Ron Cole

6. Intangible, Wolfgang Bauchinger

7. Honalee, Richard Stevens

8. Cherub, Bill Duggan

9. Girl Talk, Matthew LaLumiere

Cruising Class

1. Rita P, Randy Rice

2. Spirit, Jon Roberts

3. Tittavate, Steven Ribble

4. Southern Cross, Steven Hudson

5. Jubilee, Anita St. Onge

See you all June 18-19 at the Pilots, and June 25 at Harraseeket!

I don't think anyone can top the cruising class for party honors. I had a warm bath to head home to - I don't think I have been that cold racing in a long time - I needed a few more layers. Here is hoping that this weekend is better...

• 2 weeks later...

Just trying to plan ahead -- is there anyone here who might be able to give me a ride from Rockland to West Boothbay Harbor following the Rockland-Castine regatta on Sunday July 10?

Just trying to plan ahead -- is there anyone here who might be able to give me a ride from Rockland to West Boothbay Harbor following the Rockland-Castine regatta on Sunday July 10?

I can ask around RYC. I am sure we can come up with someone. I bet there will be a couple of cars heading down to Portland from Rockland.

• 3 weeks later...

So... how was the weekend? Looks like you had sun and wind, and the few incriminating photos I've seen indicate rum may have been involved. Results are below -- congrats to division winners Kaos, Too Elusive, and Greyhawk.

Results linky

So now that we know who won the race, more importantly, who won the party?

So... how was the weekend? Looks like you had sun and wind, and the few incriminating photos I've seen indicate rum may have been involved. Results are below -- congrats to division winners Kaos, Too Elusive, and Greyhawk.

Results linky

So now that we know who won the race, more importantly, who won the party?

Walkabout had a great time! Rum was indeed involved, Dennet's makes a real Dark and Stormy. Thanks Jess.

Wish I could have made it. I was staring at the ocean out of my apartment window on sunday thinking of how nice it must be to be beating up pen bay toward Rockland.

On another note, how come nobody shows up to the friday night adult 420 racing at Sail Maine? Its usually me against some hs sailor and an ex law professor from St. Louis who just learned how to sail. I'll do my best to talk them into allowing us to bring rum drinks.

Rockland Castine was tons of fun... Blew both days. It was nice to see the MMA kids back in it on a sweet ride. The party was great. The Reef has been Yuppyfied. Chaise Lounge did a great job with weather, racing and party. It is so obvious when race committees want to do a good job vs. those that just want to get it done.

It was great sailing with both kittens! (Kitten #2 is currently in second place at the Mass JOs.) On to Camden this weekend then the Beringer Bowl for BDP.

Kitty out.

• 2 weeks later...

Some great sailing at the Boothbay Harbor Regatta this weekend. Unfortunately, not without controversy...

The lessons that should be learned by competitors are (1) make sure you read and understand the sailing instructions, and if there are any questions get them clarified before the first warning, and (2) make sure you understand your "class" rules (particularly if your class is "PHRF"). The lessons that should be learned by Race Committees are (1) make sure that your sailing instructions are fully internally consistent and leave not room for doubt about anything, and (2) hold all boats accountable for following the rules no matter how much they whine (which, of course, is easier to do if you've done #1 first).

Saw BDP in Marblehead this weekend. What's up with that? 5 single handers for the Downeast Challenge, all from Maine. The real challenge was getting down there without getting your brains (or stomach) bashed in.

Oh yeah, we went down on Thursday- what a shit show, We came as far in as possible. The wind was maybe 15 knots but falling off the back of the waves sucked. The twelve hour trip took us twenty.

We went down for Boston Yacht Club's Berringer Bowl. It's a Friday night start; goes south towards Boston and then turns to P-Town. It was a fantastic night. The Big Dog was lightly crewed with six good sailors ( five good sailors and me) It was great fun. It was truely a Cone of Sielence type of evening, Boy, that thing is impressive in the narrow slot it was made for. We will go back for sure.

The delivery home was FULL of whale sightings and empty fuel tanks...oh well...

Kitty out...

Oh yeah- Solar nice to meet you in Camden.

Kitty really out....

Oh Boy, it isn't over yet -- re-opening the redress hearing?

Care to say what the grounds for redress were? The results posted online appear to be quite different than the preliminary results posted Sunday afternoon. It would seem that at least two boats were moved up, significantly, and not to your favor.

I wondered if Class 1 was going to have a redress from the start of their 3rd race (around Squirrel) because some of us Class 2 boats fouled up their start position as we finished (unintentionally, and unavoidably). Hats off to the committee for managing the race as they did though, very tricky stuff to have three classes doing multiple start/finishes on a 1.2mi course.

We had a great time in Boothbay, looking forward to Seguin this weekend.

PS Thanks for the additional bridge info.

On Saturday, several cruising class boats were scored DNF by the RC because they apparently sailed past the wrong side of the committee boat at the finish. I guess some of them were pretty upset about it -- indeed, they had sailed very good races. Unfortunately there was a problem with the sailing instructions -- the finish had been described in two different places, but the corrected version distributed Saturday morning had only changed one of those descriptions. So I guess one (or more) of the affected boats filed for redress on Sunday based on this ambiguity in the SI's.

To complicate matters further, rumour has it that at least one of the affected boats actually received a whistle from the Committee boat when they crossed the (wrong) line, which the boat(s) took to mean they had finished properly. So I guess the Protest Committee decided to grant the redress. But to complicate matters even further, apparently the RC didn't bother to record any times for these boats, since they thought they weren't finishing properly. Thus, rumour has it, the Committee had to "make up" times for the boats being granted redress in order to score them for the race...

HOWEVER, the fact is that the discrepancy in the SI's was discussed at the Skipper's Meeting, so therefore all of the boats should in fact have known the finish line details. On this basis, there were a number of other boats/skippers in the class who were rather upset that the redress was granted, as they felt it was unwarranted. While I was off congratulating the winners (after all they did sail better then us, and indeed should have beaten us accept for this technicality), I guess a couple of these boats let the PRO know what they thought of the decision.

Then today all the skippers in the cruising class got an e-mail from the PRO stating that yesterday she had requested a reopening of the redress hearing, in accordance with RRS 66, without any further explanation.

Off course, Burt Keenan's Acadia completely dominated the fleet except for being disqualified as a result of our two protests on Saturday...

• 4 weeks later...

Mrs. Blowhard & I crewed for first-time RSR skipper Butch Minson on his Lindenberg 28 Cat'S Paw in the 60th Retired Skipper's Race out of MMA in Castine. Good wind, plenty of fog, started an hour after the first boat (pursuit start) and worked our way up to 5th out of 35 boats. Winner was Dennis Scanlon's Halberg Rassy 39, Cracker Jack. Good times!

Mrs. Blowhard & I crewed for first-time RSR skipper Butch Minson on his Lindenberg 28 Cat'S Paw in the 60th Retired Skipper's Race out of MMA in Castine. Good wind, plenty of fog, started an hour after the first boat (pursuit start) and worked our way up to 5th out of 35 boats. Winner was Dennis Scanlon's Halberg Rassy 39, Cracker Jack. Good times!

The Coach is one of the finest guys on the coast.

• 3 weeks later...

Another great Around Islesboro Race! 35 boats and lots of wind all the way around the island. Thanks to the great folks at the Northport Yacht Club. Next weekend is the Maine Rocks Race. Who's in?

Sorry to have missed Around Islesboro - I had a lot of fun doing it in 2009.

I'm in for Maine Rocks, looking forward to it. Gave the bottom a much needed scrub yesterday and offloaded most of the cruising gear. Departing Marblehead Thursday night after work so should be up there in plenty of time for the skippers meeting on Friday evening at 6. I hope Resolute is in...after I got my butt kicked in the Down East Challenge, I need a chance to redeem myself!

Here's the course:

route.JPG

As summer in Maine winds down and those from Away return to Away again, there was great J/24 racing this past weekend for the 26th annual DownEast Regatta. The competitors hailed from 13 J/24 Fleets. Good wind, foul current -- the usual. 42 boats on the line. Bill Newberry (skipper of COUNTY GIRL) of Portland YC was PRO -- good calls and devilishly good courses. Big wind shear. The favored side changed with every beat. Fleet 50 (Newport RI) won the overall Fleet trophy, calculated by the scores of the top 3 boats from each Fleet. Coming the longest way was Paul Anstey of Melbourne FL. Overall winner was Carter White driving Mark Klein's AL. (Carter and Molly White's Regatta Promotions did a fantastic job of organizing the event with great sponsors. Nothing like a free pour after a hard day on the water.) Tony Parker's BANGOR PACKET was second overall with two bullets on Sunday, Bil Fastiggi's BEAUTY was third with Bob Kinsman's DOGFISH and Taylor Neff's BUBBLES rounding out the top 5. As usual, the lobster bake on Saturday night under the full moon was the highlight of the weekend.

Careful, there, with that Travel Lift.

post-315-048655700 1315864077_thumb.jpg

Wendy and I were at PYC Saturday night to talk about the Bermuda 1-2 with some prospective future participants. The J24 sailors seemed to be having a good time!

I'm in for the Rocks Race, see you all Friday evening!

Another great Around Islesboro Race! 35 boats and lots of wind all the way around the island. Thanks to the great folks at the Northport Yacht Club. Next weekend is the Maine Rocks Race. Who's in?

Sorry missed it! Great that our boat got out, but too bad I was not on it, maybe I could have made a difference. ;) Looks like everyone had fun!

Next Year!

Help! I am looking for a Laser Radial to borrow (I ain't got no charter money) for the Healy High School Laser Regatta in Hyannis on 10/02? The Portland High School team would be very grateful... Send me a PM if you know of one or might know of one.

Thanks,

Gerry

One of the neat things about relocating is that you find out about things you didn't know about. Like, "County Girl" (as in Aroostook County) is sort of like "Swamp Woman" in Florida.

Example: What do you call a County Girl who tips the Toledo at 200? "Anorexic"

How do you compliment a County Girl? "Nice tooth!"

What is the difference between a sack of trash and a County Girl at a bar? "The sack of trash has a better chance of being taken out."

Leaves beginning to turn.

Thinking about ice boating on the Penobscot.

This place * really * grows on you!

One of the neat things about relocating is that you find out about things you didn't know about. Like, "County Girl" (as in Aroostook County) is sort of like "Swamp Woman" in Florida.

Example: What do you call a County Girl who tips the Toledo at 200? "Anorexic"

How do you compliment a County Girl? "Nice tooth!"

What is the difference between a sack of trash and a County Girl at a bar? "The sack of trash has a better chance of being taken out."

Leaves beginning to turn.

Thinking about ice boating on the Penobscot.

This place * really * grows on you!

Mrs. County Girl is hot- not in that County way either.

Kitty out

You got that right!

Aroostook County Police officers still write their reports by hand, and the data is entered later by a computer tech into their database. One theft report stated that a farmer had lost 2,025 pigs. Thinking that to be an error, the tech called the farmer directly. ”Is it true Mr. (Smith) that you lost 2,025 pigs?” she asked.”Yeth,” said the farmer. Being a County Girl herself, the tech corrected the entry: “Subject lost 2 sows and 25 pigs.”

Sail on.

GO THE CATHERINE!!!

• 1 month later...

Time to dig this thread up from whatever page it is on.

2011 GMORA Awards Banquet!!

Friday, Nov. 11, at the Hilton Garden Inn in Freeport

This is a great venue -- not only will everyone be able to see and hear what is going on, it is more centrally located so our friends from Boothbay, Rockland, Camden, and further east don't have to drive as far. :)

Along with the great food, cash bar, and division awards for outstanding performance, there will be a whole host of Spirit awards to recognize important things like sportsmanship, exceptional crew performance, and fun. The organizers are putting together a great program, complete with a video with highlights of the season. The banquet is always a great time to share stories from this year's racing and engage in a little (or a lot of) debauchery before everything freezes up solid for the winter.

The business meeting starts at 5:30 p.m. -- this is when GMORA members elect officers for 2012. The party starts at 6 p.m. and goes till whenever.

We need to give the Hilton a solid head count early next week, so please sign up today at www.gmora.org.

Time to dig this thread up from whatever page it is on.

2011 GMORA Awards Banquet!!

Friday, Nov. 11, at the Hilton Garden Inn in Freeport

This is a great venue -- not only will everyone be able to see and hear what is going on, it is more centrally located so our friends from Boothbay, Rockland, Camden, and further east don't have to drive as far. :)

Along with the great food, cash bar, and division awards for outstanding performance, there will be a whole host of Spirit awards to recognize important things like sportsmanship, exceptional crew performance, and fun. The organizers are putting together a great program, complete with a video with highlights of the season. The banquet is always a great time to share stories from this year's racing and engage in a little (or a lot of) debauchery before everything freezes up solid for the winter.

The business meeting starts at 5:30 p.m. -- this is when GMORA members elect officers for 2012. The party starts at 6 p.m. and goes till whenever.

We need to give the Hilton a solid head count early next week, so please sign up today at www.gmora.org.

***bump***

Banquet. Next Friday. Who's in? Rita P is in.

Okay... if this doesn't get a response, nothing will. We've added something incredibly cool the the GMORA Awards Banquet!

Historic Raffle!

You do not want to miss this!

Miss Teen Maine/Miss Teen USA Runner Up will be working the GMORA banquet floor to offer you this historic Raffle

Free regatta registration for one season (2012) for the winning ticket holder in participating GMORC events.

If a boat owner/skipper wins; they use the ticket as they see fit, if a crew member wins, he/she will probably get lots of offers for crew placement!

This excludes meals; swag etc. and depends on the Yacht clubs definition of “registration fee."

100% of the proceeds go to community based sailing programs!

The winning ticket holder will win free registration to;

Centerboard Yacht Club's Centerboard Regatta

Two of Portland Yacht Club's GMORC races: Pilot, Monhegan, PHRF-ME, Lightship, Fall Series

Harraseeket Yacht Club’s Harraseeket Regatta

Southport Yacht Club’s Sequin Island Trophy Race

Boothbay Harbor Yacht Club’s Boothbay Yacht Club Regatta

Rockland Yacht Club’s Rockland to Castine Revival Race

(There are three more regattas pending at this time)

Tickets will only be available at the Banquet, so if you are not going…send some money with a friend!

1 Ticket @ $10

4 Tickets @$30

6 Tickets @ $40

8 Tickets @ $50

Remember; 100% of the proceeds go to community based sailing programs!

Great photos Mr. Lounge. Very sorry to have missed the festivities but Mrs. Walkabout is a rabid Black Bears Hockey fan as well as an ace spin trimmer/pit chick.

You also missed picking up some Silver with your name written all over it! It is on its way to you. And RYC won Regatta of the year for Rockland-Castine!

Great banquet, too bad it was so short and we weren't able to catch up with everyone that we might have wanted to catch up with.

Any one else here thinking about doing the Lobster Run next year?

Great banquet, too bad it was so short and we weren't able to catch up with everyone that we might have wanted to catch up with.

Can't speak for others, but the Corinthians have made that race a bit too rich for our budget.

I was thinking about RHSP, followed by a cruise along the S. coast of nfld, then back via Bras d'or.