Gulf of maine scuttlebut

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

There has been renewed discussion amongst NYC members concerning GMORA scoring for the Around Islesboro Race. An ongoing question is how many boats would travel up to participate if it were to be scored. I believe the race will be scheduled for Sept. 8th this year.

Could I get a rough head count of those interested?

I'm planning on AIR this year...two problems getting the west to come: 1) needs to be promoted as a scored race and 2) they would likely want the get back for the Lightship the next week (so up and back for that weekend). NYC should talk to GMORA.

The value to scoring the AIR would probably be to those of us on the bay looking for another qualifying event. I don't think there will be too many new boats. Maybe you might get one or two from the east.

The topic was raised due to an upcoming board meeting. After some casual surveying it seems the issue is going to be tabled again for now. I personally don't see the advantage for the club, yet. Given more time, particularly if more club boats in the bay start participating in existing GMORA events it would make sense.

Edit:

Looking at it from that view, it would seem most beneficial to these boats:

Mainstays 5

Cat's Paw

Walkabout

Greyhawk

Tittravate

and possibly:

Chaise Lounge

Badger

Sans Culottes

The topic was raised due to an upcoming board meeting. After some casual surveying it seems the issue is going to be tabled again for now. I personally don't see the advantage for the club, yet. Given more time, particularly if more club boats in the bay start participating in existing GMORA events it would make sense.

Edit:

Mainstays 5

Cat's Paw

Walkabout

Greyhawk

Tittravate

and possibly:

Chaise Lounge

Badger

Sans Culottes

That's the way to look at it. Don't think of it as a way to draw GMORA boats, just think of it as a favor to the boats that would already be inclined to participate. If there are more scored races in the Central and East then those boats will be more competitive for season trophies.

But now is the time to be thinking about next year. This year's GMORA schedule, as per the by-laws, is already set. Plan now for next year.

The benefit of scoring the race would be to draw more participation from local boats. GMORA's Central Region has taken off in the last couple of years and has a good chance of being a premier circuit, which may motivate people to race that until now assumed they would have to travel (I'm not opposed to travel, but some are). Adding the AIR to the mix would provide 8 race days in the Bay (14 if you count the 2 shorthanded races), which would be plenty to place for the region (currently a 4 day minimum requirement, but will likely go up next year) and might be enough to satisfy some people's competition urges. This of course doesn't count neighboring area's like the East Region or BBH/Segiun races. Personally I would love to see even more scored events in Central.

Edit:

Mainstays 5

Cat's Paw

Walkabout

Greyhawk

Tittravate

and possibly:

Chaise Lounge

Badger

Sans Culottes

That's the way to look at it. Don't think of it as a way to draw GMORA boats, just think of it as a favor to the boats that would already be inclined to participate. If there are more scored races in the Central and East then those boats will be more competitive for season trophies.

But now is the time to be thinking about next year. This year's GMORA schedule, as per the by-laws, is already set. Plan now for next year.

I'm not one for breaking rules but if NYC had the will is there a way for this year?

You might also get some co promotion out of talking to the folks who run the ME Rocks Race. They are the weekend after correct? Different style of racing of course, but if you have your boat up in the area anyway for one, do them both?

Just a thought, I hope to get up to do the AIR, but I don't think I will have a boat this year.

There has been renewed discussion amongst NYC members concerning GMORA scoring for the Around Islesboro Race. An ongoing question is how many boats would travel up to participate if it were to be scored. I believe the race will be scheduled for Sept. 8th this year.

Could I get a rough head count of those interested?

Solar, GMORA could make it happen if NYC wanted it. The Board has heard the rumors of possibly including the AIR and would love to add it to the schedule.

With all due respect, we have by-laws, which say the schedule is set in January (along with ratings breaks and a few other details). If I remember correctly, the AIR was discussed at the March Board meeting and the general consensus was that we are talking about scoring it next year.

I'd love to see it scored, too, but shouldn't we be acting according to the by-laws? When the PBR organizers came to us last year, months after the schedule was set, and asked to be scored in 2011, we advised that per the by-laws, they needed to wait until next year, and they respected that. The AIR should not be treated any differently. What's the rush, anyway? It's not like they are hurting for participants.

On a somewhat similar note, if race days keep getting added to Central, the minimum number of race days for qualifying really needs some adjustment. Central has nearly as many available race days as Western, but you only need four to qualify, while Western requires eight.

Solar, GMORA could make it happen if NYC wanted it. The Board has heard the rumors of possibly including the AIR and would love to add it to the schedule.

With all due respect, we have by-laws, which say the schedule is set in January (along with ratings breaks and a few other details). If I remember correctly, the AIR was discussed at the March Board meeting and the general consensus was that we are talking about scoring it next year.

I'd love to see it scored, too, but shouldn't we be acting according to the by-laws? When the PBR organizers came to us last year, months after the schedule was set, and asked to be scored in 2011, we advised that per the by-laws, they needed to wait until next year, and they respected that. The AIR should not be treated any differently. What's the rush, anyway? It's not like they are hurting for participants.

On a somewhat similar note, if race days keep getting added to Central, the minimum number of race days for qualifying really needs some adjustment. Central has nearly as many available race days as Western, but you only need four to qualify, while Western requires eight.

Both points (setting schedules and qualification adjustments) are discussions for another time and place, however there is currently precedent to adjust the schedule after January; I think the March discussion was a result of the topic not being presented by an NYC rep, as was anticipated.

Both points (setting schedules and qualification adjustments) are discussions for another time and place, however there is currently precedent to adjust the schedule after January; I think the March discussion was a result of the topic not being presented by an NYC rep, as was anticipated.

Isn't this the mission:

mission

Our mission: The Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Association is a not-for-profit, charitable corporation formed to act as an amateur athletic organization to promote yacht racing, including international yacht racing in the ocean waters of the Gulf of Maine.

Does including races furthur that mission? Yep

post-58627-074461200 1332434304_thumb.jpg

Hey Tittravate,

You're still a newbie around here... There's a hazing ritual for SA newbies, don't you know? ;-)

Ms. Tittravate said she gave up posing for the web...my new foredeck will have to do! blink.gif

Isn't this the mission:

mission

Our mission: The Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Association is a not-for-profit, charitable corporation formed to act as an amateur athletic organization to promote yacht racing, including international yacht racing in the ocean waters of the Gulf of Maine.

By-laws schmylaws, the board can do whatever the heck it wants.

Isn't this the mission:

mission

By-laws schmylaws, the board can do whatever the heck it wants.

Now hold on...everyone.. hold on just a minute! :-) we started a conversation with the Northport folks before the October (2011) NYC meeting about the idea of scoring the AIR as a GMORA scored event. The NYC folks said they would bring it up at the meeting then. I guess it did not happen. But I am heartened to hear that there has been some recent talk at NYC about it. If NYC would like, Tittravate and myself, maybe even Solar, would be happy to speak on behalf of GMORA at a NYC meeting to discuss the pros and cons of scoring AIR as part of the Central division, which indeed is growing.

There is no panic here, good change takes time so everyone involved understands the benefits.

post-30042-075640900 1332810607_thumb.jpg

post-30042-018658300 1332810625_thumb.jpg

Let me chime in and say that I was asked by our Commodore for input, hence the polling here. The previous discussion on the board a while back was my own doing. That degraded into a debate on the validity of requiring certs among other things. Let's not go back there right now.

At this point, a few members are simply spit-balling based on the BoD having some curiosity, likely provoked by GMORA inquiries (though I don't really know). The scoring would be for 2013, if not 2014 if it were to even happen. Even if there was significant interest from outside the club, there remain factors on our end that could take time to resolve. Certainly not trying to disrupt the balance...

And some award or other... hmm... it will be nice to get that back this year.

Let me chime in and say that I was asked by our Commodore for input, hence the polling here. The previous discussion on the board a while back was my own doing. That degraded into a debate on the validity of requiring certs among other things. Let's not go back there right now.

At this point, a few members are simply spit-balling based on the BoD having some curiosity, likely provoked by GMORA inquiries (though I don't really know). The scoring would be for 2013, if not 2014 if it were to even happen. Even if there was significant interest from outside the club, there remain factors on our end that could take time to resolve. Certainly not trying to disrupt the balance...

And some award or other... hmm... it will be nice to get that back this year.

We hear you.. and thanks for those comments.. Again when I spoke to some NYC folks this fall prior to their Oct meeting there was worry of the need for multiple starts, multiple awards and other special 'requirements' that GMORA might need for scoring. The one point I would like to make (which can always be followed up on in an official conversation) is that none of that is necessary. Yacht Clubs run races, not GMORA. If a race (or regatta) is voted to be scored by GMORA, GMORA takes the scores that the club, or organization, provides.

And yes... that award... hmmm... we like to keep it right where it is :---)

I like the "mass start" aspect of the AIR. It was a relatively small fleet the one year I did it, but start area was shrouded in fog and you had no way to judge your distance to the line or where any of the other boats were!

Rumor has it that the French Revolution is on its way to Maine right now under her own bottom...

I wonder if history will be on their side on July 14?

Surely you know the drill, NOOB! :lol:

AIR is one of my favorites every year and would love to see it become scored in GMORA. Where else can you find 40+ boats starting downwind in planning conditions?

Also, if anyone is looking to purchase a Lindenberg 28 please contact me off list.

pociag_chirurg@yahoo.com

• 4 weeks later...

Rumor has it that Revo 395 may already be heading to a new home. Anyone have any insight?

Really? Was looking at it yesterday with a guy that is planning to crew on it this year, but Doyle moves pretty fast...

BDP's resident private eye, THE MILTY, has confirmed that REVO 69 will be hauled and surveyed Friday. Hmmm, isn't this backward. Aren't you supposed to survey the boat before you buy it? Unless...................

z Revo XII will be sailing in the Gulf of Maine this summer with the 'regular suspects'!

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has a crew spot open for the Centerboard or Harraseeket Regattas, let me know... I'm looking to get some early season action before my regular ride hits the water.

I bet we could find a spot on BDP

Excellent. PM incoming...

EDIT: PM box full, tried email.

• 1 month later...

I'm having a hard time remembering what happen((ed)s in Castine.....

Here is a hint from Last year!

post-30042-050302800 1341186199_thumb.jpg

I need to put on ...or take off???... my beer goggles to read the fine print!

PS: Nice piece of hardware...like the [new] base.

Kitty, were you able to get things confirmed for Rockland with Russell Coutts? I want to be sure we are putting our best foot forward.

He wanted to get paid! Can you believe that! No way would I ever pay anyone, except Milty ( he excepts Monopoly money) This is the Gulf of Maine- It's corinthian here....

Dang, I'm going to miss it. I won the "Smells Fishy" contest on WERU, our local bomb-throwing lefty radio station, and the prize was "a three hour tour" from Belfast to Castine next Saturday on the M/V FISH HAWK. If you see someone who looks like Gilligan asking directions to Castine, please give him good information.

Fish_Hawk.bmp

Kitty, were you able to get things confirmed for Rockland with Russell Coutts? I want to be sure we are putting our best foot forward.

He wanted to get paid! Can you believe that! No way would I ever pay anyone, except Milty ( he excepts Monopoly money) This is the Gulf of Maine- It's corinthian here....

Well you had him at the helm last year... I snapped this when you guys were prepping.

post-30042-021622100 1341263314_thumb.jpg

1341263322[/url]' post='3773044']
1341242626[/url]' post='3772628']
1341188528[/url]' post='3772048']

Well you had him at the helm last year... I snapped this when you guys were prepping.

That's a wheel... Must be with the artist formerly known as Prince, and the Revolution.

1341263322[/url]' post='3773044']
1341242626[/url]' post='3772628']
1341188528[/url]' post='3772048']

That's a wheel... Must be with the artist formerly known as Prince, and the Revolution.

Thanks to Havoc and War Bride... We are at 24 boats!!!!!

I just heard Joie de Vivre is making a last minute entry. Apparently denied online-registration tonight, but will be signing up in person.

Yes very exciting! There is no 'in person' registration as we need the day to print our pursuit starts etc etc. but it seems that Joie de Vivre signed themselves up three times online! Gotta love the 11th hour folks! But hey we will scramble to make it work and so there are now 25 boats! 3- J/105's!!!!!

I just heard Joie de Vivre is making a last minute entry. Apparently denied online-registration tonight, but will be signing up in person.

Yes very exciting! There is no 'in person' registration as we need the day to print our pursuit starts etc etc. but it seems that Joie de Vivre signed themselves up three times online! Gotta love the 11th hour folks! But hey we will scramble to make it work and so there are now 25 boats! 3- J/105's!!!!!

Ok it's all over... Fun had by all, usual suspects in attendance, canons from Ocean 80's, puffin rum drinks and great band at Dennetts etc etc. all results etc at www.rocklandcastineregatta.org

See you all next year?

Ok it's all over... Fun had by all, usual suspects in attendance, canons from Ocean 80's, puffin rum drinks and great band at Dennetts etc etc. all results etc at www.rocklandcastineregatta.org

See you all next year?

Can we only have one day of pursuit racing next year?

Very low turnout for this weekend's camden race. Who is going?

Kitty's in...

Somehow we survived the "Three Hour Tour" out of Belfast and found our way back to port. This was Mike the boat driver's very first trip on his wet-ink inland license.

We'll be on MDI this weekend for the Hospice/PHRF Championship regatta. How did that get scheduled the same weekend as Camden?

Somehow we survived the "Three Hour Tour" out of Belfast and found our way back to port. This was Mike the boat driver's very first trip on his wet-ink inland license.

We'll be on MDI this weekend for the Hospice/PHRF Championship regatta. How did that get scheduled the same weekend as Camden?

Two different regions. Hospice is East, Camden is Central. While some travel between regions is encouraged, it is not mandatory and options are generally a good thing. :)

Two different regions. Hospice is East, Camden is Central. While some travel between regions is encouraged, it is not mandatory and options are generally a good thing. :)

MDI 1, 2, 3, 4 etc, Hospice, are every weekend for the next 4-5 week starting this weekend. How could they not be scheduled on the same weekends? There are only a few weekends left in July and really only a few in August before everyone goes home.

Yes.. Options...

See you all next year?

Can we only have one day of pursuit racing next year?

Very low turnout for this weekend's camden race. Who is going?

Kitty's in...

Why only one day of pursuit? Hard time catching up?

Chaise Lounge plans to come to Camden....

ZZZZING!!! OUCH!

Pursuits can be a bit of a crap shoot sometimes... specifically if there is lighter air at the start (bad for the early starters) or if the breeze dies out too soon (bad for the later starters and shortening course is not always an option). But the wind was, um, not a problem this weekend. :D

For anyone who has not seen them, there are some great photos on the GMORA FB page.

As someone who was on a boat that struggled to catch anyone... I would say one of the issues with the pursuit set up this weekend (particularly Sunday) was the lack of tactics. Other than avoiding current and watching for shifts, the courses in both directions left little for the tactician. It was 75% close reaching. No crossings, no real upwind work until the finish, and couldn't fly chutes. No tacking, or gybing... it was, as they say, a parade. Not that it still isn't fun to be out there in glorious weather with everyone, and watch the occasional round-up, but with two days of that, it leaves the crew a bit idle.

Maybe a solution, though requiring more work calculating start times, would be to have a couple offset legs, or some sort of double back to allow some action to an otherwise non-disruptive course. Not sure how it would be accomplished given the wind direction we experienced this weekend, but worth a consideration.

I'd have to agree that the pursuit format on this race was less than ideal. With a course that provides opportunity for a variety of angles and some choices (Harraseeket) - I think it can work. Of course having consistent wind conditions would make it "fair" and we know how often that happens (not Harraseeket).

I would have been curious to see what the results would have been like if it was done in a standard format.

Is there a push to do pursuit format from some of the folks in Rockland?

I have to say I love doing this race - the locations are incredible and the people are fun! Now only if they could clear out some of the lobster pots...

ZZZZING!!! OUCH!

Pursuits can be a bit of a crap shoot sometimes... specifically if there is lighter air at the start (bad for the early starters) or if the breeze dies out too soon (bad for the later starters and shortening course is not always an option). But the wind was, um, not a problem this weekend. :D

For anyone who has not seen them, there are some great photos on the GMORA FB page.

this is true.... let me just say... super nerve racking for the race organizers.

:o

Those that sail with me or know me well know that it is not about winning on BDP but sailing well in competitive situations. Races that do not require people to tack, Jibe or make tactical decisions are not that competitive or fun in my mind. They are kind of like kissing your sister. That being said I introduced the pursuit format at HYC several years ago when I was the race chair there. The change was a reaction to the Winward/lewards that were being held everywhere at the time. I also thought that they would encourage people who never raced to get out there and try it.

If we fast forward to this year we are well into our racing calendar. Truly 60% of our race days have been Pursuit races so far ( the number goes to 67% if we add the Gosport regatta in Portsmouth). While I was not at the HYC regatta this year, the conditions did not lead to good racing. My understanding from many other owners was that the event was a disappointment because of wind conditions. ( The event was easy for me to blow off because it was a pursuit race which would have been a roll of the dice if it would have been a fair race or not. And BTW, Ccock and Chaise we probably would have done well given that the course was a parking lot until the last boats started. I'm glad I didn't waste my time being there.) Some skippers just will not go to a pursuit race. I think we need more balance in the types of racing we do.

Sailing Castine in whatever form has a great deal of wonderful memories for me: Duking it out with Hankerin'. Bandito, Revo (Ed Rodger's), The Maritime Kids, Kaos etc.. While I know those days are gone, the memories keep me coming back. A parade of boats reaching up and down the bay will not.

Notice that many boats are absent from last weeks event and this weeks event participation looks grim. Why? The event last weerend was fun and well run. Social scene was as good as it gets. The Rockland- Castine regatta was promoted well. The use of Social networking should be a lesson to some clubs about effectively getting the word out. But I really don't have an answer for where people are.

I am troubled by the current participation level and very concerned about the future...

Those that sail with me or know me well know that it is not about winning on BDP but sailing well in competitive situations. Races that do not require people to tack, Jibe or make tactical decisions are not that competitive or fun in my mind. They are kind of like kissing your sister. That being said I introduced the pursuit format at HYC several years ago when I was the race chair there. The change was a reaction to the Winward/lewards that were being held everywhere at the time. I also thought that they would encourage people who never raced to get out there and try it.

If we fast forward to this year we are well into our racing calendar. Truly 60% of our race days have been Pursuit races so far ( the number goes to 67% if we add the Gosport regatta in Portsmouth). While I was not at the HYC regatta this year, the conditions did not lead to good racing. My understanding from many other owners was that the event was a disappointment because of wind conditions. ( The event was easy for me to blow off because it was a pursuit race which would have been a roll of the dice if it would have been a fair race or not. And BTW, Ccock and Chaise we probably would have done well given that the course was a parking lot until the last boats started. I'm glad I didn't waste my time being there.) Some skippers just will not go to a pursuit race. I think we need more balance in the types of racing we do.

Sailing Castine in whatever form has a great deal of wonderful memories for me: Duking it out with Hankerin'. Bandito, Revo (Ed Rodger's), The Maritime Kids, Kaos etc.. While I know those days are gone, the memories keep me coming back. A parade of boats reaching up and down the bay will not.

Notice that many boats are absent from last weeks event and this weeks event participation looks grim. Why? The event last weerend was fun and well run. Social scene was as good as it gets. The Rockland- Castine regatta was promoted well. The use of Social networking should be a lesson to some clubs about effectively getting the word out. But I really don't have an answer for where people are.

I am troubled by the current participation level and very concerned about the future...

I will only say, (for the moment) that in my (limited) experience with pursuit racing, I agree that wind conditions are the life or death of a pursuit race, terrifying, really. I know that the Rockland Yacht Club encourages and would be happy to listen to, any and all feedback from members and non-member participants alike with ideas and suggestions for how the Regatta could be better improved. (The Social side, Friday night gathering party, different course options with courses down the West side of the Bay as well in case there is loads of wind, even suggestions for changes to the actual format) We are all ears.... send in the comments, we are taking copious notes so that next year will be just as successful or more so.

First off it was a fun weekend and thanks to Rockland YC and Jesse for what was obviously a ton of work.

As for the discussion about the pursuit format, I hope we can agree that there advantages and disadvantages. The lack of the intimidating start might be a factor getting some boats out there though though I have no data on that. The excitement of the race to the finish, knowing how you finished and getting boats back to the festivities at about the same time are also nice features.

Some of the stuff that cuts both ways include the slower boats have an opportunity to cover at the end instead of sucking bad air at the start gives them a slight advantage over the faster boats. But on the other hand usually the wind builds as the day goes on giving advantage to the faster boats. Theoritically all boats will be on the course the same amount of time whether pursuit or not.

And the disadvantages to the format. It's about impossible to shorten course, probably you'll never have multiple races in a day and it's very difficult to acomodate unusual or unanticipated wind directions. Not that these things are impossible but pursuits are already a lot of work and this would be just too much.

But specifically regarding the Rockland Castine this year I checked the chart and with this years wind it would have been pretty hard to come up with a course with much windward work except coming back down the other side of Isleboro but that would still have been just postponing the reach. Lets face it, the wind was a fluke this year but it had little to do with the pursuit format. It's just what you can get in a destination race such as this, Marblehead-Halifax, Monhegan, Lightship, The Lobster Run or any other race that the course is set ahead of time.

First off it was a fun weekend and thanks to Rockland YC and Jesse for what was obviously a ton of work.

As for the discussion about the pursuit format, I hope we can agree that there advantages and disadvantages. The lack of the intimidating start might be a factor getting some boats out there though though I have no data on that. The excitement of the race to the finish, knowing how you finished and getting boats back to the festivities at about the same time are also nice features.

Some of the stuff that cuts both ways include the slower boats have an opportunity to cover at the end instead of sucking bad air at the start gives them a slight advantage over the faster boats. But on the other hand usually the wind builds as the day goes on giving advantage to the faster boats. Theoritically all boats will be on the course the same amount of time whether pursuit or not.

And the disadvantages to the format. It's about impossible to shorten course, probably you'll never have multiple races in a day and it's very difficult to acomodate unusual or unanticipated wind directions. Not that these things are impossible but pursuits are already a lot of work and this would be just too much.

But specifically regarding the Rockland Castine this year I checked the chart and with this years wind it would have been pretty hard to come up with a course with much windward work except coming back down the other side of Isleboro but that would still have been just postponing the reach. Lets face it, the wind was a fluke this year but it had little to do with the pursuit format. It's just what you can get in a destination race such as this, Marblehead-Halifax, Monhegan, Lightship, The Lobster Run or any other race that the course is set ahead of time.

All,

Say RYC had not run a pursuit format with Sat and Sunday's wind. Just the usual multiple rolling starts, 5 min sequence for the various divisions etc, same old regular. Same courses mind you, -it's a destination race after all- what part about the 'parade' might have been any different?

So you have 5-6 boats in your division starting at the same time, (recall the 3 J105's started together), what would have been different? Still need to get to Castine, still on the same course, would there not be 4-5 parading groups with, maybe, the fast boats who started only 20-25 mins behind the slowboats passing them earlier and getting to Eaton's first?

This seems to be about course more than format?

Or am I off the mark here?

You all know the area, what other courses could RYC set for their regatta that would still move the fleet between Rockland, (city of light and good karma) and Castine, (a little town that keeps its secrets)?

You all know the area, what other courses could RYC set for their regatta that would still move the fleet between Rockland, (city of light and good karma) and Castine, (a little town that keeps its secrets)?

I too would like to clarify that I had a great time this weekend, regardless of the course and format. RYC continues to be on their game, and Castine will always be a fun place to spend the evening (and early morning).

As noted before, my suggestion would be add more drop marks. My concern is less about pursuit format, and more about the lack of tactics (same thing happened last year on Saturday, once the wind filled in). I, like Kitty, am not so wound up about winning, but rather the fact that aside from one sail change, the pit and foredeck sat on the rail all day.

For Reference: Chart 13302

Consider if there were a drop somewhere near Egg Rock, and then another at Hewes. If those two were part of the course, at least then the course would have required beating.

Reversing that on Sunday would have also shaken the course up a bit by changing the angles. It likely would have gotten all the boats to put up chutes between Hewes and Egg.

Alternatively, drop at Hewes, and then down at Resolution, Barred Is, or similar, for Saturday would put a distinct Z in the course. Not only would we have had to work to get up to Hewes, but then by turning and running back to Barred Is area it would cause boats to interact a bit more. Certainly had time to stretch the course out on Saturday.

Granted, if the wind isn't there, or a different direction, some of this wouldn't work. And of course if the wind dies out, and the course has been made longer, everyone is going to be pissed. In the case of the button-hook format and dying wind, I suppose you could eliminate it via VHF before the first boat reached the turning mark, but only if it weren't pursuit format.

The suggestion to utilize the West Bay is intriguing too, of course.

All of this requires making up various courses ahead of time for various wind angles (lots of work) and getting someone to run marks out to these locations the morning of (even more work). I don't run the show though, so it's easy for me to sit here and pile the work on for you.

All,

Say RYC had not run a pursuit format with Sat and Sunday's wind. Just the usual multiple rolling starts, 5 min sequence for the various divisions etc, same old regular. Same courses mind you, -it's a destination race after all- what part about the 'parade' might have been any different?

So you have 5-6 boats in your division starting at the same time, (recall the 3 J105's started together), what would have been different? Still need to get to Castine, still on the same course, would there not be 4-5 parading groups with, maybe, the fast boats who started only 20-25 mins behind the slowboats passing them earlier and getting to Eaton's first?

This seems to be about course more than format?

Or am I off the mark here?

This is kind of how I think of it as well. It's a point-to-point; regardless of start format, there are only so many ways you can tweak the course to get the fleet from point A to point B.

I also like to think that conditions like what we saw this weekend still give us challenges and fun factor. It's a great exercise in sail trim, and (for me anyway) it was a rather fun romp. Keep in mind this comment comes from a boat that got beat on waterline with just seconds before we reached the finish on Saturday. Had there been more twists and turns, we might have gotten them. OTOH, I probably would have ended up with twice the bruises I have now. :o

BTW, Harraseeket, despite being a pursuit, often has its own tactical challenges, including picking the best side of the course to account for wind/currents, navigating around islands/ledges, finding the best wind on either side of Whaleboat, avoiding holes. Maybe those are different tactics than Kitty has in mind, but for some of us, it adds to the fun.

Remember my original suggestion was one not both days of a pursuit race. I was just looking for more balance...

A mass start, while being very scary, allows boats to race against one another for a while at least. We have some epic beats up to robertson's rock but whatever...

And now for something completely different....

Hope a few boats show to the Camden Yacht Club Regatta tomorrow.

Helped a few folks with car drop ride to boat etc tonight... Complicated (but great entertainment) by the Great North Atlantic Blue Lobster Festival kicking off in Rockland.... honky tonk! Ye haw!

We missed the CYC race this year, but made it to Rockland for the Blues today! That was pretty neat, great venue. You RYC guys had front row seats (understanding it is probably a big PITA for you)

How did it go? Was there wind?

Helped a few folks with car drop ride to boat etc tonight... Complicated (but great entertainment) by the Great North Atlantic Blue Lobster Festival kicking off in Rockland.... honky tonk! Ye haw!

We missed the CYC race this year, but made it to Rockland for the Blues today! That was pretty neat, great venue. You RYC guys had front row seats (understanding it is probably a big PITA for you)

We get out of town for blues fest.....

Anyway Camden was fun... About 10 boats, and super hot and light wind yesterday sarting South east and shifting to west, with the usual hole just off Camden Harbor which everyone krept through to finish. Issues with courses set with starboard roundings, most unusual, and perhaps a little unsafe and confusing but we all figured it out in our own way.. And had about a 14 mile course today with again a very slow finish off Camden Harbor. But not nearly as hot today as yesterday...

We get out of town for blues fest.....

Anyway Camden was fun... About 10 boats, and super hot and light wind yesterday sarting South east and shifting to west, with the usual hole just off Camden Harbor which everyone krept through to finish. Issues with courses set with starboard roundings, most unusual, and perhaps a little unsafe and confusing but we all figured it out in our own way.. And had about a 14 mile course today with again a very slow finish off Camden Harbor. But not nearly as hot today as yesterday...

It was a very fun weekend missed by many... Congrats to Chaise Lounge and the J/35 who sailed very well both days-

Kitty out