Gulf of maine scuttlebut

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - this thread goes all the way back to 2012 on the same page.  Come on GMORA peeps - racing is still fun!

Posted Images

Interesting times on the r/c in Boothbay. I was weather mark. On Saturday, the signal boat winch blew the main fuse for everything, so there were no engines, no electronics, no nothing except floating towards the rocks. Fortunately, a spare fuse was found so all was well except that the anchors could neither be raised nor lowered. Sunday, the signal boat couldn't get the lunch hook to hold, so PRO Howard Leviton ran the races from the Whaler.

I'm wondering how Ken Colburn could be skippering his J/105 GHOST to a first place win in Division 2 in the Boothbay Harbor regatta and also be skippering his Swan 42, APPARITION to a commanding first place in Class 5 in the NYYC annual regatta the same dates?

My vote for hard core skipper for the Boothbay event is Butch Minson who cruised his Lindenberg 28 from Castine to Boothbay for the regatta, sailed both days to an overall second place and after the finish on Sunday, spun the boat and single-handed her back to Castine in 8 hours or so.

Fantastic pic! Can we get a copy of that?

Interesting times on the r/c in Boothbay. I was weather mark. On Saturday, the signal boat winch blew the main fuse for everything, so there were no engines, no electronics, no nothing except floating towards the rocks. Fortunately, a spare fuse was found so all was well except that the anchors could neither be raised nor lowered. Sunday, the signal boat couldn't get the lunch hook to hold, so PRO Howard Leviton ran the races from the Whaler.

I'm wondering how Ken Colburn could be skippering his J/105 GHOST to a first place win in Division 2 in the Boothbay Harbor regatta and also be skippering his Swan 42, APPARITION to a commanding first place in Class 5 in the NYYC annual regatta the same dates?

My vote for hard core skipper for the Boothbay event is Butch Minson who cruised his Lindenberg 28 from Castine to Boothbay for the regatta, sailed both days to an overall second place and after the finish on Sunday, spun the boat and single-handed her back to Castine in 8 hours or so.

owwwww- not nice, bad JuJu...

No! No! Request a copy of the pic of Coach, not the Cod End Drag!

No! No! Request a copy of the pic of Coach, not the Cod End Drag!

Woops! My Bad, hehehehe

Southport, Stickboy?

And here is your answer...

J/105

Maybe more game on tomorrow as well?

See you all there!

I must say one of the coolest parts of last weekend was the Japanese Zero chasing the B-25 up the river. How cool was that?

I know! Awesome... Right at each other.. Complete with dive bombing within what looked like only a few feet above the water!

A big congratulations to Buzz for winning first in class and first overall in the Gulf of Maine Solo/Twin last weekend. This is supposed to be a 120 mile romp down wind. This first year of this addition of an old race was a 120 mile beat. Very challenging. Complete results will be posted on the GMORA site.

Doubles in order of CT:

Buzz

Isobel

Tag

Starlight

Kiva

Blue Bird

Singles:

Walkabout

Resolute

Catch 22

Windswept

Four boats, two in each class, were DNF

Looking for more boats for Northeast Harbor Race... are you all going to PHRFNE's?

August 24-25 - 100+ miles, Racing, Cruising, Single and Double Handed

4 boats racing, 4 boats short handed at the moment, looking to fill out the classes.

Looking for more boats for Northeast Harbor Race... are you all going to PHRFNE's?

4 boats racing, 4 boats short handed at the moment, looking to fill out the classes.

Who is going Cat?

We're planning to go, but sounds like it is gonna be lonely in cruising class.

Looking at it, we were planning on doing double handed on GREYHWAK but with keel damage we're trying to switch things over to Tittravate...don't know what class we would end up in, probably double or racing.

Allegro and Varuna duking it out at the finish of the Boothbay Harbor Rendezvous

My son was crewing on Varuna for that race (I think he is the one in dark blue at the forward end of the cockpit). I was away helping to deliver a boat.... Earlier in the week, though, I got to crew on the 115' Tenacious as she was tuning up for the Shipyard Cup...

who is going?

Shout out to our man Marc at Camden Yacht Club... seems the (his) CYC folks are giving him trouble. Very sad to hear this.

"Go the Marc"

Hear, hear...Go the Marc!!

bump!

Marc and Clair putting up with RYC's greatest weapon..

post-30042-080897300 1344998656_thumb.jpg

Shout out to our man Marc at Camden Yacht Club... seems the (his) CYC folks are giving him trouble. Very sad to hear this.

"Go the Marc"

Hear, hear...Go the Marc!!

+100 Go the Marc!!!

Our sport needs more people like Marc.

"Go the Marc"

Details?

Inquiring Kittys want to know.

Kitty, Marc is getting railroaded by a couple folks within his club, it's unfounded but has caused him to consider resigning his position there. As you well know, Marc has been a great asset and conduit to sailing in Penobscot Bay but someone has it in for him and is trying to take him to the mat. The whole thing is still in process so no one knows how it will turn out.

"Go the Marc"

Details?

Inquiring Kittys want to know.

Kitty, Marc is getting railroaded by a couple folks within his club, it's unfounded but has caused him to consider resigning his position there. As you well know, Marc has been a great asset and conduit to sailing in Penobscot Bay but someone has it in for him and is trying to take him to the mat. The whole thing is still in process so no one knows how it will turn out.

Go the Marc!

There's no politics like YC politics. Here at the Bucksport YC (Membership 2) we NEVER argue over fine dining v. sailing, tennis v. yachting, whether to fire the chef, the sailing director and tennis pro who are screwing the commodore's wife, babysitting the other members prepubescent children, but we deal with any problem visiting sailors in the traditional fashion; "put 'em in the longboat 'till he's sober..."

Early this morning the 31st annual MS Regatta looked like it might lose it's unofficial title of "we have never raced in sustained rain". But by 0900 the rain had stopped, the temerature was perfect, the left over rain water had not turned into humidity and there were almost signs of a clearing sky. This might work out after all! By 1100 well over 60 sailboats, almost 60 were going to actually race, headed out to parade under clear blue skies and a slight breeze. We did have a one hour delay waiting for breeze but the RC called it perfectly and the first start was at 1330. The wind just kept on building after that.

Great racing

Great weather

Great camaraderie

Great after race cookout

Really Great band - thank you Calypso Cowboys!

But everyone's favorite part of the day seems to be shared food, drink, trinkets and jello shots shared between boats during the parade. I don't know what everyone else went through but we served at least 5 dozen hotdogs from our bow pulpit mounted grill. They only come one way - mustard, ketchup and homemade relish on a soft squishy roll.

Awesome day.

Final money count isn't in yet but the raffle raised almost $500 - Thank you to The Boathouse for donated items!! And thank you to all who bought tickets!!

And of course the results

For those who don't know, the MS Regatta is the cornerstone event of the MS Harborfest Weekend here in the Portland Maine area. It is a fundraiser to help combat and research the causes of multiple sclerosis and improve the lives of those living with it. Maine has one of the highest occurance rates of ms in the country. So instead of biking, walking, swimming or anything else as a way of raising money we do what we like to do - we sail.

Thanks everyone!

Navy junior

2012 MS Regatta Results 1.pdf

Yep, Racing looks like this:

Nirvana -72

Apres Ski 72

Beausoleil 75

County Girl 78

Keemah 90

But you should get a dance partner and come race double handed against Buzz. Right now only two DH boats, but 4 single handers.

That's where we are at...

Another great MS regatta - thankfully the wind filled in nicely. It was a beautiful weekend and Sunday's events drew a huge crowd on the water! It was a lot of fun to watch.

Glad you all got some breeze. The chilluns and I watched the boat parade from the Prom and it looked grim.

G

Another great MS regatta - thankfully the wind filled in nicely. It was a beautiful weekend and Sunday's events drew a huge crowd on the water! It was a lot of fun to watch.

Glad you all got some breeze. The chilluns and I watched the boat parade from the Prom and it looked grim.

G

Well I can say for certain that we were questioning our sanity at 8:30 a.m. dinghying out to the boat in the rain. It stopped raining (yay!) and then got reeeaaalllly calm. Like NJ said, Spuds the RC chairman called it perfectly, sending the big go-fast boats off as soon as it filled in. Our class was next-to-last to start, and by then the wind was perfect.

I must say this was one of the more memorable MS Regattas for us in terms of the racing itself. Jay H's Pearson 10-meter spanked us a bit on the way to the windward mark, but on the run, we had three boats -- two Pearsons and a Cal -- right side by each the rest of the way. The rounding of the RG south of Clapboard was... interesting.

Here they are.

And from Saturday night's post:

Early this morning the 31st annual MS Regatta looked like it might lose it's unofficial title of "we have never raced in sustained rain". But by 0900 the rain had stopped, the temerature was perfect, the left over rain water had not turned into humidity and there were almost signs of a clearing sky. This might work out after all! By 1100 well over 60 sailboats, almost 60 were going to actually race, headed out to parade under clear blue skies and a slight breeze. We did have a one hour delay waiting for breeze but the RC called it perfectly and the first start was at 1330. The wind just kept on building after that.

Great racing

Great weather

Great camaraderie

Great after race cookout

Really Great band - thank you Calypso Cowboys!

But everyone's favorite part of the day seems to be shared food, drink, trinkets and jello shots shared between boats during the parade. I don't know what everyone else went through but we served at least 5 dozen hotdogs from our bow pulpit mounted grill. They only come one way - mustard, ketchup and homemade relish on a soft squishy roll.

Awesome day.

Final money count isn't in yet but the raffle raised almost $500 - Thank you to The Boathouse for donated items!! And thank you to all who bought tickets!!

And of course the results

For those who don't know, the MS Regatta is the cornerstone event of the MS Harborfest Weekend here in the Portland Maine area. It is a fundraiser to help combat and research the causes of multiple sclerosis and improve the lives of those living with it. Maine has one of the highest occurance rates of ms in the country. So instead of biking, walking, swimming or anything else as a way of raising money we do what we like to do - we sail.

Thanks everyone!

Navy junior"

2012 MS Regatta Results.pdf

Problem with getting them in Sunday's paper is they need them by 4:30 Saturday. Even without a 1 hour postponement that is pretty tight. After that they put them in at their own discretion. Results have been sent to PPH by someone who is as close as we can get to having some pull. I am hoping to see them tomorrow. Maybe.

Navy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why was Miss Teen Maine at GMORA awards this year? Just saw the photos. We have such a great racing tradition in Maine. Did she need to be in all of the awards photos? Just seems dumb.

Because the whole thing is a joke. Mr. Boobsolie for yachtsman of the year? To be Yachtsman of the year you must have to be a bad sport. I couldn't think of a worst choice. Please...

Shame on you Points East...

Why was Miss Teen Maine at GMORA awards this year? Just saw the photos. We have such a great racing tradition in Maine. Did she need to be in all of the awards photos? Just seems dumb.

Because the whole thing is a joke. Mr. Boobsolie for yachtsman of the year? To be Yachtsman of the year you must have to be a bad sport. I couldn't think of a worst choice. Please...

Shame on you Points East...

Oh boy this should be good. What do people think?

You weren't there Kitty, and neither was the Yachtsman.... selected by the past Yachtsmen from among numerous nominees, this year's winner apparently was independently nominated by several different people, and lauded for introducing so many newbies to the sport of sailing.

...and his great show of sportsmanship at SITR?

I will acknowledge there are a lot of new sailors on his program. I have even sailed with him, but chose not to again, for various un-yachtsman traits.

EDIT: I wasn't there either, and don't particularly care who wins the award, but I do find the announcement surprising.

To whom it may concern,

These are the criteria that people were given to make nominations for the Yachtsman of the Year:

1. Displays an infectious enthusiasm for Boating.

2. Is a model of good sportsmanship and fine seamanship.

3. Upholds the finest traditions of yachting.

4. Is a good ambassador for the sport.

I will address these one at a time.

1. Displays an infectious enthusiasm for Boating - to me this would suggest someone who, no matter the conditions is willing to participate no matter what. However, this applies to most of us who race countless hours in the rain and wind and while this years winner certainly shows up to most of the regattas in the area, even after getting beat up on week after week, they are frequently the first boat to retire from a race or series. Not exactly infectious enthusiasm.

2. Is a model of good sportsmanship and fine seamanship - This is where I would certainly have to agree with Mr. Clownshoes and I can lean on Kitty here as well to help me make my point. In Sailing good sportsmanship involves self policing and adhearing to the rules, for those who have been on the water with this boat my point is already made. As for Seamanship, again, those who have been on the water with this boat my point is already made. I have been a part of numberous fleets in my life and typically when either crewing or driving my starting strategies involve the direction of the wind, the current and the direction of the next mark. It was not until I came to Maine that I had to add a fourth question to my pre-start rotation...Where is Beausoleil? How can a boat whose reputation for such freightning seamanship even be thought of in the same sentence with this award?

3. Upholds the finest traditions of yachting - This one can get a bit personal so I will not dive into my own definition of the traditions of yachting but I am guessing that at no point in the history of this great sport was charging your crew for a ride considered one of the "finest" traditions.

4. Is a good ambassador for the sport - It is my understanding that this was essentially what gave the award to this years winner. It was expressed that over the years he has brought countless individuals onto the water and given them exposure to the sport of sailing. While I applaud anyone who attempts to help grow the sport, there are right and wrong ways of doing it. If two kids try big boat racing for the first time on the same boat and one has a good time and the other comes away so petrified that he tells 5 of his friends to never go sailing is it worth it? I am not to judge but it is certainly public record that many have run for the hills after their experiences on big boats and especially aboard this years winners boat. Additionally, the word ambassador has a certain meaning that is far deeper than allowing people to join your crew. Its definition extends to mean one with special skills in representing his cause or government or anything for that matter, one who goes perilously of of his or her way to right wrongs and ensure the future of a given relationship. To that end this years winner certainly has never done that.

While I will always continue to respect those who enter the playing field each weekend I think that we all need to look long and hard at the sport that we are participatiing in. If we want to return to large fleets and good times we should probably start trying to figure out a solution. As for the subject at hand, the Yachtsman of the Year Award, I think it best for GMORA and Points East to take a look at what this award really means. Either the definition needs to be changed or better yet perhaps it is time to retire this trophy and come up with something that is more fitting to a dwindling fleet. This years award is definitely a slap in the face to those of us who police ourselves, compete every weekend at the top of our class and fleet, take enormous pride in our boat handling and seamanship skills and truly reach out to others and act as ambassadors for GMORA during our travels on the water.

For your consideration,

Bowtostern, a deeply concerned and dedicated sailor.

Embarrassed? I hardly think I am the one who should be embarrassed. I just finished explaining how we all should be a bit embarrassed and if anything I should applauded for saying what everyone will say in private. Just because I dont post a lot doesn't give my post any less credence. I have been a reader and a lurker for a while and up until now never thought anything was worth chiming in on, i.e. whether or not you have topless photos of your significant other. I am glad that you think your 1722 posts give you something to stand on but they dont. This is a very important indictment of the system that we operate under. If you dont have a dog in the hunt stay out.

Get some,

Andrew Stern

I also submitted a nomination this year, and I believe my nominee's name has been offered up in the past (and not by me, so I'm not the only one who considers this person to be deserving). I can also think of several other people within our ranks that fit the criteria that bowtostern listed.

Points East has generally done a great job covering our sport in the magazine, and choosing past YOY winners via its committee of prior winners. I too was surprised by the announcement. But it's not my call.

While I will always continue to respect those who enter the playing field each weekend I think that we all need to look long and hard at the sport that we are participatiing in. If we want to return to large fleets and good times we should probably start trying to figure out a solution.

bowtostern is spot on here. To that end, the GMORA Board of Directors sends out a survey to its membership each year, asking for ideas on how to improve the sport, the circuit, the regattas, everything. Now GMORA does not run regattas -- yacht clubs/race organizers run regattas. GMORA's primary purpose is season scoring and promotion. We pass along the input we receive on the survey to member clubs and race organizers.

So here is your chance. The survey typically goes out via e-mail to all members of record during the off season. I know it has been discussed at recent board meerings, so it will probably go out in the next couple of months. Members who receive their survey should take the time to respond with some thoughtful input on what can be done to make things more fun and get more people to come out and play with us. Don't just check off an answer; please fill in the comments section with some constructive input.

If you are not a GMORA member, but want to help figure out a solution, then become one. For those without a boat/PHRF cert, an individual membership is $10. That is less than what you'd spend on a couple rum drinks at your favorite Old Port establishment.

While I will always continue to respect those who enter the playing field each weekend I think that we all need to look long and hard at the sport that we are participatiing in. If we want to return to large fleets and good times we should probably start trying to figure out a solution.

bowtostern is spot on here. To that end, the GMORA Board of Directors sends out a survey to its membership each year, asking for ideas on how to improve the sport, the circuit, the regattas, everything. Now GMORA does not run regattas -- yacht clubs/race organizers run regattas. GMORA's primary purpose is season scoring and promotion. We pass along the input we receive on the survey to member clubs and race organizers.

So here is your chance. The survey typically goes out via e-mail to all members of record during the off season. I know it has been discussed at recent board meerings, so it will probably go out in the next couple of months. Members who receive their survey should take the time to respond with some thoughtful input on what can be done to make things more fun and get more people to come out and play with us. Don't just check off an answer; please