Macgregor Bashing

maddmike

I have one of them there little (1996 purchased new) Macgregor 26x's everyone seems to love to bash & as I am stuck on shore here in Sri Lanka for awhile (first extended time in 10 years) I thought it would be more entertaining than watching TV to sit back relax, enjoy a beer after the sun goes down and have a good laugh at (with?) all the folks who have given up bashing religion, politics, and their in-laws & turned their attention to Mac bashing. For those interested in actually learning about the boat off-shore (good & bad). I do have a few (actual) 'thoughts' to share.

MaddMike, a man so mad one D wasn't enough.

I saw my first 26X on a lake about a month ago. What struck me most was that the hull was blue which is supposedly the fastest color. Have you found this to be as true off-shore as in W/L racing?

Please, share away.

I'm off to get some popcorn.......

In a heavy blow I find it best to pop popcorn on my Force 10 single burner attached to the radar arch rather than using the stove below. This is especially true if you are pounding upwind, as the boat does jump about a bit in anything over 30 knots & 8 ft. of sea.

Please, share away.

I'm off to get some popcorn.......

"In a heavy blow I find it best to pop popcorn on my Force 10 single burner attached to the radar arch rather than using the stove below. This is especially true if you are pounding upwind, as the boat does jump about a bit in anything over 30 knots & 8 ft. of sea."

Sounds like you've been popping that popcorn up ya arse again.

No wonder the boat jumps about.............

Do you, too, subscribe to the dribbly hull theory?

MaddMike, a man so mad one D wasn't enough.

I saw my first 26X on a lake about a month ago. What struck me most was that the hull was blue which is supposedly the fastest color. Have you found this to be as true off-shore as in W/L racing?

Ah yes, you speak of racing, something of which I know little except for cars, aircraft & motocross. As for my boat (Zeno's Arrow) it has undergone several different paint jobs over the years (one color in St. Thomas, another in South America, etc) After Single Handing a Mac 26 about the world for 10 years I can say that it would be nice to find a color that container ships run from.

"In a heavy blow I find it best to pop popcorn on my Force 10 single burner attached to the radar arch rather than using the stove below. This is especially true if you are pounding upwind, as the boat does jump about a bit in anything over 30 knots & 8 ft. of sea."

Now, now be nice. If you are someone who actually goes to sea now & then you should know it does not pay to use less than nice verbage as any one of us can be picking the other fellow out of the drink should lady luck see fit to make it so. If you have a specific question please shoot.

After Single Handing a Mac 26 about the world for 10 years I can say that it would be nice to find a color that container ships run from.

I think something in an Ocean Blue with whitecap colored decks would surely cause container ships to run you and the facker M26 over......oh you said run from not over....my bad

:lol:

After Single Handing a Mac 26 about the world for 10 years I can say that it would be nice to find a color that container ships run from.

I think something in an Ocean Blue with whitecap colored decks would surely cause container ships to run you and the facker M26 over......oh you said run from not over....my bad

:lol:

Ah yes,

Having once been run over by a container ship off Panama in 1995 I see your point. However, as I was single-handing a CSY 44 at the time I guess it would not have been close enough to a M26 for your enjoyment. Question; why is it you don't see many boats from Maine past St. John or the BVI's in the winter, nseems like the folks from up there would enjoy the windwards??? M26 question?

Madddd Mike sail her over to dubai fella and we can get the other 3 out for some match racing

or even better dingo, he could bring it down for the race south - in the fourth mode it will surely keep up with us on the bigger boats, if not be quicker......imagine seeing this -

- along side and pacing you as reach for another packet of beef jerkey and clench your ass, waiting for the boat to land of the next big one...and the next....and the next.... Thumbs up, Madddddddmikey, and if we break, how bout a tow?

;)

Madddd Mike sail her over to dubai fella and we can get the other 3 out for some match racing

or even better dingo, he could bring it down for the race south - in the fourth mode it will surely keep up with us on the bigger boats, if not be quicker......imagine seeing this -

- along side and pacing you as reach for another packet of beef jerkey and clench your ass, waiting for the boat to land of the next big one...and the next....and the next.... Thumbs up, Madddddddmikey, and if we break, how bout a tow?

;)

Tisk, Tisk, Again we speak of racing. My thing is to see people and places, not get there & leave faster than everyone else. Amazing what you can learn about yourself by trying to understand others. As for going fast, if you drop the mast (did I mention mine is now carbon?-with melges spreaders) & fly a wing & drop the water ballast, it does seem to move a bit quick-however, caution should be exercised as the autopilot will not keep up & when by yourself-sooner ro later you WILL drop the damn thing in the drink. As for the question about St. Thomas & South America-you might still be able to find "Waterways of the Americas' nexpedition info. archived on the net-basically, my trip from the Arctic Ocean through the Mackenzie River, Missouri, Mississippi, Orinoco & Amazon-circa 1997-2004.

Have you tried the new M26 Fat Head mainsail? Is it as fast as everyone says, or are they just full of it? They certainly look the shit.....

Sorry, don't know anything about them. I'm a 3DL Norlam guy myself.

Look, I have to ask this question - Do you honestly think Mac26s are nice looking boats Mike?

Personally, I cannot understand it. There are so many beautiful cruisers and trailor-sailers around...why a mac?

Finally an honest question! No I do not think a M26 is a 'nice looking' boat any more than I think the Space Shuttle is a nice looking space vehicle. However, that said I admit I have grown acustomed to it. As for why the M26 in the first place; the trip I wanted to do through the river systems of north & south America from Arctic to Cape Horn dictated the equipment. Many of the river passages have less than 2 ft. of water & strong currents. When I came off of Everest in 1989 I started planning the trip intending to use a RIB with Yanmar Diesel outboard simular to those we used in the Antarctic aboard the Lindblad Explorer. However, the M26 seemed better for the job (with modifications more practical open water crossings). After the trip was complete I decided to keep the boat because it worked so well. Simple as that. The boat has a number of modifications (mostly carbon fiber), 18' inflatable outriggers that I use on rivers & prevent excessive rocking while on the hook, and a 7'10'' cold mold-carbon swing keel that I put on at Independent Shipyard in St. Thomas in 2003. The boat uses twin small 4 stroke engines + an 18 hp. 4 stroke I hold in reserve-because getting parts for engines in the boonies is difficult. The tender is an 8' walkerbay.

Wow! Quite a vision-- I have to see the pontoons.

the river stuff sounds great. The walker bay 8 with a sail rig will rival the Mothership

in pointing ability.

If you really did all that that's some crazy motherfucking shit and more power to you.

O

pics?

Wow! Quite a vision-- I have to see the pontoons.

the river stuff sounds great. The walker bay 8 with a sail rig will rival the Mothership

in pointing ability.

If you really did all that that's some crazy motherfucking shit and more power to you.

O

pics?

Sorry, my walker bay does not have a sail rig, would have liked to have gotten one but I picked it up new in St. Martin with a 2hp Yamaha on sale from Budget Marine in Simpson Lagoon after my seaworthy got ripped off & there is only so much room on a 26 ft. boat. As for pointing, Columbas's ships pointed better than a stock M26. However, with the larger & deeper keel she now points quite well. Additionally, as I said I'm no racer so when it comes to bashing upwind I often run the downwind 6hp Nissan 4 stroke just above idle

& use my backup tiller pilot attached to the engine for heading control (saves on rudder wear & fuel consumption is low-boat has 2x45 gal. internal tanks). As for crazy-as far as I can see-all the folks that sit at home on their butts and do nothing their whole lives seem to be the crazy ones to me.

Maddmike-

When you head out from Sri Lanka, you should consider cruising west. I hear the coast of Somalia is beautiful and very friendly people. Arrrrrgh!

Your friend,

Boomvang

Maddmike-

When you head out from Sri Lanka, you should consider cruising west. I hear the coast of Somalia is beautiful and very friendly people. Arrrrrgh!

Your friend,

Boomvang

Hmmmm? Somalia huh? Last time I was there I just somehow don't recall all the friendly faces. However, Mombasa was great. You one 'polepole' guy (East African word for 'a little slow'). By & by for those interested in the outriggers they are 'AIRE" cataraft Leopard whitewater units, which can be viewed at the AIRE website under (of all things) Catarafts! As for photos I'll try and round something up for the weekend or next week, as that is election week here in Sri Lanka and I will likely be spending a bit of time indoors hiding under the bed with my laptop. Got to go to work now-really enjoyed all the chat-should have done it sooner, but Iridium is not one of my sponcers. Cheers, Maddmike

No gonna be a problem is it BVang? Just fire up the 250 HP saltwater outboard and out-run the bastartds (assume you're implying pirate country here).

maddmike - what outboard do u have on the Mighty MAC anyway?

Hey Tuffy

Have you seen the new infection (Mc26) down at RM apparently it's been sold to a new owner - which I guess is where their main market is.

There's a 50HP Mercury lying next to it which I'm guessing is theirs so be careful you may not be the fastest boat around!!!

Off to see Sofa later tonight we should have a keel and rudder now.

No gonna be a problem is it BVang? Just fire up the 250 HP saltwater outboard and out-run the bastartds (assume you're implying pirate country here).

2x6hp. Nissan 4 Stroke (Tohatsu) + 1 x 18 hp. Nissan 4 Stroke (electric start) & yes there is enough room for them to sit quite nicely on the stern. Sorry I'm not a planning type guy, besides anyone who tried to motor upwind with an M26 on the open sea (even with all the carbon 'hat stiffeners' I use) would be bringing their boat home in a shopping bag. However, that said I was able to motor from Columbia along the coast to Trinidad-even with the daytime trades without much effort (although only at 4 kts.) because the swells were far enough apart to cope with. Any of you who have done this route along the Para Pen. will know exactly what I'm talking about! Gotta go now.

Hey Tuffy

Have you seen the new infection (Mc26) down at RM apparently it's been sold to a new owner - which I guess is where their main market is.

There's a 50HP Mercury lying next to it which I'm guessing is theirs so be careful you may not be the fastest boat around!!!

Off to see Sofa later tonight we should have a keel and rudder now.

Haven't seen that yet... hmmm? Must go and take pix and post here for free-flow evaluation, insults and general anarchy.

Can't wait to see the Sofa in the water (love saying that... sorta makes it sound big soft and comfortable innit!).

PS - loved meeting your Dad last weekend.

if your mac is so fast you should come up here to the PNW and race Frank... he's always looked impressive when i've raced against him, i'm sure he could give you a good run for your money.

i mean, i know you say you don't like racing and all, but with all those carbon upgrades and smaller lightweight motor i'm sure you're curious to see how much faster you are than a stock m26.

. When I came off of Everest in 1989 I started planning the trip intending to use a RIB with Yanmar Diesel outboard simular to those we used in the Antarctic aboard the Lindblad Explorer. However, the M26 seemed better for the job (with modifications more practical open water crossings).

2 questions

1. How the fuck did you get a Mac26x down from Mt Evereest?

2. Oxygen assisted ? Or Not ?

In a heavy blow I find it best to pop popcorn on my Force 10 single burner attached to the radar arch rather than using the stove below. This is especially true if you are pounding upwind, as the boat does jump about a bit in anything over 30 knots & 8 ft. of sea.

It works better if you use that heavy iron skillet. Hint: don't bother with the fiddles and make sure you use plent of hot oil.

As for the question about St. Thomas & South America-you might still be able to find "Waterways of the Americas' nexpedition info. archived on the net-basically, my trip from the Arctic Ocean through the Mackenzie River, Missouri, Mississippi, Orinoco & Amazon-circa 1997-2004.

Please post a link to this, or post extracts with photos. If you maintained a website while travelling, it is surely not beyond you to help us out a bit here.

The flaming (well some of it) will stop if you prove that you aren't telling us fairy stories.

Hopefully you will respect this request that does not include the words wanker and horseshit.

If you chose to continue without posting some proof of your, frankly, unbelievable exploits, then expletives are likely to continue! That is the nature of the beast that is SA.

2 questions

I think he took the RIB up Everest. It's not as crazy as it sounds, it's like having a toboggan for the downhill part.

This guy is a Wet Ass and I'm pretty sure he is legit.

Now, now be nice. If you are someone who actually goes to sea now & then you should know it does not pay to use less than nice verbage as any one of us can be picking the other fellow out of the drink should lady luck see fit to make it so. If you have a specific question please shoot.

MM

Can you describe what it is like to hit the elusive fourth mode?.

I am usually not one to post on this type of thread but you are so full of total shit its unbalievable. Literaly.

I have friends (well, aquiantences anyway) who guide in Nepal and I know for a fact that no Mac26 has ever been even close to Mt. Everest.

What kind of suckwad newbie are you that you don't like racing? Like to see places not get there fast? What a load of shit, that just means you're not skilled enough to race.

I know, I know, this is not Mac bashing per se but I believe that this thread deserves some Maddike bashing just as much.

Take your bannana hauling, mono goggled, three engined, "I got carbon on it 'cause its cool" piece of plastic over to the scuttlebutt forum. They will understand you, nurture and love you and make you thier own.

the homepage is down:

Zeno's Arrow - "Waterways of the Americas"

server2.powernet.net/~planetwave/

but google-cache had some info left about "captain mike dunn" and his journey:

"One man. One 26 ft sailboat. And members of the first-ever Cybercrew! A real-time,

interactive sailing adventure from the Arctic Ocean to Cape Horn"

Here's our boy...

This guy is a bad ass, wow. Check this out:

"He has traveled to pretty much every country, island group, and territory on the planet (with a couple of exceptions.) He led or participated in climbs on the highest mountains on all seven continents (including Mt. Everest), reached the South Pole, parachuted over the North Pole (led the Sir Edmund Hillary-Neil Armstrong North Pole Expedition), as well as having sailed around the world as an expedition leader on several different expedition cruise ships. Mike is a skilled Scuba diver, hang glider pilot, whitewater boater, and fixed wing and helicopter pilot."

From The Wayback Machine .

I was positive he was a SA undercover troll of some sort. This is why I love SA, I would never have heard of this guy otherwise (until he sunk his Mac26 off of Cape Horn that is).

Wow....I thought this guy was joking around, especially when he started talking about the inflatable carbon pontoons. Good shit. I suppose one of the advantages of having a Mac 26 in pirate infested waters is that you can easily outrun pirates if need be.

Well, take a look at the whole story. He did'nt actually sail the Mac26 around the horn. He loaded it on a trailer and shipped it to where he was going. So his version of sailing around the world in a Mac26 are a little different than actually doing it. His expeditions seem to be on cruise ships, probably the homo kind. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

OMG. This is going to go very, very bad, very fast.

From his freak-site:

It was once said about Mike "...that he has more degrees than a thermometer, exists in perpetual puberty and spends more time practicing for Jeopardy while reaching closer to or farther away from Nirvana (depending on your point of view) than anyone else".

GOD WHAT WERE U THINKING, we should have an "international Mac 26 confrence " (code for getting all the owners together so we can burn them

'smater RB, 'fraid a guy w/a mac is stealin' some of your fun?

In fairness to JB...

I saw my first 26M on the water the other night.

Believe it or not, it was under sail... and flying a spinnaker no less. The sails were well trimmed and the boat was moving along at a good clip. I tacked across his stern and saw a 9hp kicker mounted instead of a 50 hp behemoth.

While the 26M is still not my 'cup of tea', it looked a lot better on the water than the preceeding X model and I reckon a guy could do worse.

Unfortunately, with most of these boats being equipped and primarily used as floating RV's... it will be hard to break the notion that they can't give one a nice sail in the light to moderate conditions.

The folks on board this particular boat were sailing the boat well and were enjoying the hell out of themselves. That's what it's all about anyway. (At least in my book)

I just traded in my Mac 26X for a new Mac 26M. It really is a pretty fast boat so you should keep an open mind. If you have not sailed on one, you should try it before you pass judgement. Heck, I'll even take you out on mine.

Oh god. It's that anti abortion pro-guns pro land rights for gay whales bloke again. Happy Mac'in fella.

OMG. This is going to go very, very bad, very fast.

From his freak-site:

It was once said about Mike "...that he has more degrees than a thermometer, exists in perpetual puberty and spends more time practicing for Jeopardy while reaching closer to or farther away from Nirvana (depending on your point of view) than anyone else".

degrees, thermometer, puberty, jeopardy, nirvana.....where is LR? - he could do something with this!

if your mac is so fast you should come up here to the PNW and race Frank... he's always looked impressive when i've raced against him, i'm sure he could give you a good run for your money.

i mean, i know you say you don't like racing and all, but with all those carbon upgrades and smaller lightweight motor i'm sure you're curious to see how much faster you are than a stock m26.

Actually, I'm not much interested in 'seeing' if my boat is faster than a stock M26. However, it would be of interest to know how much better it points with the modified keel. Please Keep in mind the reason for the carbon upgrades was to make the rig, rudders, & keel stronger & as I had access to carbon (basically without cost) & have some experience working in composits it seemed the practical way to go. As for the smaller engines, yep they do help.

. When I came off of Everest in 1989 I started planning the trip intending to use a RIB with Yanmar Diesel outboard simular to those we used in the Antarctic aboard the Lindblad Explorer. However, the M26 seemed better for the job (with modifications more practical open water crossings).

2 questions

2 questions

1. Alas, you confuse climbing and sailing, two entirely different things, though often confused by many in the 'armchair' sailing comunity. Please note that the 1989 Mt. Everest-Tibet Goodwill Expedition took place well before the M26 was a gleem in Roger's eye & thus unavalable for placement in my asscent pack.

2. The '89 Expedition was the first to use Liquid (cryogenic) oxygen. Some other expeditions I was involved with on the mountain over the years used 02, some did not.

Am I for real? You decide. hint: Penox Technologies in Penn. built the LOX units, Vernon Tejas (Alaska) was the expedition climbing leader (who was the expedition leader???) First one to DOCUMENT the answer wins a free trip over the class 6 rapids posted below in the raft of the choice. This will not be easy to find out as most of the climbing party are rather shy and do not post their accomplishments on the usual Everest or 7 summit sites. Good luck.

A 26ft POS inshore trailersailor with inflatable pontoons, 90 gallons of fuel capacity, 3 outboards towing a walker bay dinghy while making long offshore passages in the midst of a circumnavigation. Come on now.

Maddmike, I dont think you could hit the "flame me" button any harder. Reading this I feel like I am at the fuck my butt forum - under another name of course ;)

He, he he, very good! I have not had this much fun since I was detained at a Turkish military base (prison) in Artvin in '81 while 'illegally' running the Coruh river (& no it was not in the M26). Please note I do not 'tow' the Walker Bay-it sits on rigid 3/4" T-6061 davits with a cover (not a good idea to fill it with rain while sailing). Also, who said anything about a circumnavigation? not me. Please refer to the name of my boat 'Zeno's Arrow' (Zeno's Paradox) and see if you can actually figure out the trip????

Is this for real? hint #2: Sobek Expeditions operated the first commercial descent of the Coruh River in Turkey in 1981. Two of the Sobek guides detained in Artvin were Jack Morrison & Michael Gage, who was the third?? For the first Documented correct answer you will be allowed to join us in the class 6 raft at no charge what so ever!

I just traded in my Mac 26X for a new Mac 26M. It really is a pretty fast boat so you should keep an open mind. If you have not sailed on one, you should try it before you pass judgement. Heck, I'll even take you out on mine.

Ah ya we're all lining up to vote for you.... :lol:

Rev. Broadwater earned a Master's Degree from Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary's Southern California Campus, a Bachelor's Degree in History from The University of Southern Mississippi, and an Associate's Degree in Accounting from Mississippi Delta Community College.

As for the question about St. Thomas & South America-you might still be able to find "Waterways of the Americas' nexpedition info. archived on the net-basically, my trip from the Arctic Ocean through the Mackenzie River, Missouri, Mississippi, Orinoco & Amazon-circa 1997-2004.

Please post a link to this, or post extracts with photos. If you maintained a website while travelling, it is surely not beyond you to help us out a bit here.

The flaming (well some of it) will stop if you prove that you aren't telling us fairy stories.

Hopefully you will respect this request that does not include the words wanker and horseshit.

If you chose to continue without posting some proof of your, frankly, unbelievable exploits, then expletives are likely to continue! That is the nature of the beast that is SA.

Derek, thanks for the advise. I fully intend to post some shots that I will scan from 35mm slides in the near future. Additionally, I can forward any specific areas of interest to you directly should you wish as my slide collection covers 25 years, most every country (except Albania & North Korea), the 7 Summits & North & South Poles. However, for now as this is my first experience with any type of forum other than with school classroom groups I communicated with during my 'Rivers' trip I am most interested in examining the reactions this little experiment creates. Especially, relating to how much documentation can be aquired on a subject (in this case me), by a shall we say (politely) 'skeptical' group. Do stay tuned.

For real? hint #3 Who led the 1985 Sir Edmund Hillary-Neil Armstrong North Pole Expedition? (of which, by the way the origional videos have never been aired-per Neil's request but for which the exclusive rights are now available, any takers???)-Proof you say? Google Peter Hillary (Ed's son) who was on the trip & now does motivational speaker presentations. A simple e-mail confirming who has the tapes & who organized & led the trip should be an easy one.

2 questions

I think he took the RIB up Everest. It's not as crazy as it sounds, it's like having a toboggan for the downhill part.

This guy is a Wet Ass and I'm pretty sure he is legit.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but sorry no RIB on Everest.However, (the flamers will love this one!) I did take a paraglider up the north side of the mountain, through East Rombock (sp?) in'85. Was not able to fly it off the North Peak do to strong cross winds, but what the hell it was worth a try.

Try googling or e-mailing 'Jim Slade' Past Sobek/Mountain Travel guide (Minden, Nevada) on this one, for your "NO Shit, There he was" check-up on this one.

I am usually not one to post on this type of thread but you are so full of total shit its unbalievable. Literaly.

I have friends (well, aquiantences anyway) who guide in Nepal and I know for a fact that no Mac26 has ever been even close to Mt. Everest.

What kind of suckwad newbie are you that you don't like racing? Like to see places not get there fast? What a load of shit, that just means you're not skilled enough to race.

I know, I know, this is not Mac bashing per se but I believe that this thread deserves some Maddike bashing just as much.

Take your bannana hauling, mono goggled, three engined, "I got carbon on it 'cause its cool" piece of plastic over to the scuttlebutt forum. They will understand you, nurture and love you and make you thier own.

Alas, I slight knowledge of world geography would perhaps be in order, as well as a bit of reading comprehension, otherwise the maddmike bashing seems approporate. 1-Mt. Everest spans two (yes 2; count them 1,2) countries, Nepal & China. I have never climbed on the South side (Nepal) i.e., 'Hillary Freeway', although I have led treking groups to basecamp. The North side is in Tibet (Tashi Dal-free Tibet!!!), thus controlled by, yes you guessed it, China! As I never claimed to have the M26 in China or Nepal (though it is an interesting thought) the question is mute. Please refer to Pat Morrow's wonderful book 'Beyond Everest' quest for the 7 Summits (chapter on Minson Massif) for better photos of me, as opposed to the old one below that was used for school children chats in the old, old days (wow, no grey hair-I remember that).

2x6hp. Nissan 4 Stroke (Tohatsu) + 1 x 18 hp. Nissan 4 Stroke (electric start) & yes there is enough room for them to sit quite nicely on the stern. Sorry I'm not a planning type guy, besides anyone who tried to motor upwind with an M26 on the open sea (even with all the carbon 'hat stiffeners' I use) would be bringing their boat home in a shopping bag. However, that said I was able to motor from Columbia along the coast to Trinidad-even with the daytime trades without much effort (although only at 4 kts.) because the swells were far enough apart to cope with. Any of you who have done this route along the Para Pen. will know exactly what I'm talking about! Gotta go now.

Cheack out that sweet rig, did you forget what kind of engine u had on there, it was on your super sweet website that it was powere by a 45hp with two back up electric motors? some one aint tellin the truth here.

Cheack out that sweet rig, did you forget what kind of engine u had on there, it was on your super sweet website that it was powere by a 45hp with two back up electric motors? some one aint tellin the truth here.

Lets see if we can all figure this one out in small, small, steps. Boat was delivered in Nov. 1995 & used in the Sea of Cortez until Christmas (with only 2 x 50 lb. thrust electric motors). This didn't work out well so in 1996 I purchased a 45 Honda 4 stroke for going up river (this was before the 50 hp. came out). Now the big question-how many boats that use outboards & travel some distances over, lets say7 years might actually replace the engine? yep, you guessed it! Almost everybody. As one electric fried in Culerba & one got ripped of in Cruz Bay, after arriving in Bonaire in 2002 (here comes the big suprise) I sold the Honda! Yep thats right, now why didn't I think of that before. No longer needing high horsepower & not much liking multiple carbs. and poor service in places with bad gas. geee the thought struck me like lightning off of Maricabo! Lets buy two small 4 strokes from Cabalas (very cheep), send them to Bonaire and sell the 45hp. to the guy who did my bottom paint job. Even trade down-Brilliant!!! Per the private e-mail; yes I am the guy that sunk theTwin-Otter at the North Pole in May 1982, you should be able to find the photos in the Edmondton, Alberta Journal (Sunday addition) archives for May 1982. Where off-shore? Alaska (inside, Vancouver to G. Bay-outside to Arctic Ocean -on way to NW passage and Mackenzie River), Gulf of Mexico, St. Martin to Panama, out-side route from Roadtown back to Florida, Coast of Baja (not really outside), Pacific Ocean some other minor stuff, nothing more than 22 days so far. Sorry to disappoint but I sold my trailer in 1996, & did not purchase a new one until 2005 (Rocket Tandem out of Florida as the new keel required 12" more height). The old site that is getting flammed was produced by soncers for schoolchildren to follow & learn about kids in other parts of the world-

Lets see if we can all figure this one out in small, small, steps. Boat was delivered in Nov. 1995 & used in the Sea of Cortez until Christmas (with only 2 x 50 lb. thrust electric motors). This didn't work out well so in 1996 I purchased a 45 Honda 4 stroke for going up river (this was before the 50 hp. came out). Now the big question-how many boats that use outboards & travel some distances over, lets say7 years might actually replace the engine? yep, you guessed it! Almost everybody. As one electric fried in Culerba & one got ripped of in Cruz Bay, after arriving in Bonaire in 2002 (here comes the big suprise) I sold the Honda! Yep thats right, now why didn't I think of that before. No longer needing high horsepower & not much liking multiple carbs. and poor service in places with bad gas. geee the thought struck me like lightning off of Maricabo! Lets buy two small 4 strokes from Cabalas (very cheep), send them to Bonaire and sell the 45hp. to the guy who did my bottom paint job. Even trade down-Brilliant!!! Per the private e-mail; yes I am the guy that sunk theTwin-Otter at the North Pole in May 1982, you should be able to find the photos in the Edmondton, Alberta Journal (Sunday addition) archives for May 1982. Where off-shore? Alaska (inside, Vancouver to G. Bay-outside to Arctic Ocean -on way to NW passage and Mackenzie River), Gulf of Mexico, St. Martin to Panama, out-side route from Roadtown back to Florida, Coast of Baja (not really outside), Pacific Ocean some other minor stuff, nothing more than 22 days so far. Sorry to disappoint but I sold my trailer in 1996, & did not purchase a new one until 2005 (Rocket Tandem out of Florida as the new keel required 12" more height). The old site that is getting flammed was produced by sponcers for schoolchildren to follow & learn about kids in other parts of the world- So here is how I see it; (1) I will be more than happy to answer any questions on this forum that relate to sailing; If you are interested in climbing, hang-gliding, skydiving (yes I did do the first skydive expedition to the North Pole with Jack Wheeler in 1980), whitewater rafting, SCUBA, expeditions or traveling (other than by boat), then you can suggest a forum that relates to that subject and I will be happy to reply there (cheapest way to climb Kilimanjaro, how to get a job driving Zodiacs in Antarctica, etc). I will respond to any level of Mac bashing that actually asks a question requiring a response, and is not just trash talk intended to demonstrate a lack of social communication skill on the part of the sender (of course you are more than welcome to trash on to your hearts content 1st amendment & all-you just will not get a response). (2) As for all this other shit, did he do it-did he not do it? Basically, who cares-I don't-any amount of energy put into this will have no affect on me I will still have the best stories in the old folks home. Additionally, there is now enough info. to follow up on your own if it truly drives you crazy (Tim Cahill would be a good source to check out-Tell him I said Hi). So if the question is "The M26 really looks like it sucks going upwind-you call this a boat that can go off-shore-your full of B.S.?" Guess what? You'll get an answer based upon EXPERIANCE with the boat-a lot of it Macgregor and Macgregor owners will hate to see-because it will be an honest evaluation. If on the other hand your suggestion is that Macgregor drivers should all die and leave this forum-I will simply refer you to a skinhead website, where your objectivity will be more in tune with your level of thought. Thus, flame me or flame the boat, no problem but ask a question worth responding to if you want to actually add content to your sailing problem-solving or decision-making thought processes.

FAAAAAAAK, angry: :angry:

MACTURD post and I missed it. angry: :angry:

Mike i believe i saw you on tv "highlander"??????:blink::blink::blink: .

Please post some pictures of your mac in the different countries.

He, he he, very good! I have not had this much fun since I was detained at a Turkish military base (prison)....

So you have seen the inside of a Turkish prison.

airplane.jpg

hope he had a soap leash

Gee Madd, you just don't get it. Know one cares about climbing mountains or shooting rapids no matter what direction, what country or whos butt you were sucking at the time. Thats why we make the comments, not from lack of knowlege of geography. You're very rich, very spoiled, and very lame but you are NOT a sailor. Thats all that really matters here.

I would elaborate more and wait for the reply but I must leave for some real offshore sailing. I know, I know, its just a delivery but as always I will be sailing as I always do, as fast as possible, as it should be. And when on this downwind run I get passed by that 50 footer race boat with 10 more feet of waterline and 300 sf more of cloth I will be pissed and sail harder because thats what its all about.

I know you are really getting off on your own tittilating comments and our comments here are just fuel for your fire but it must be said.

You suck.

Holy Shit.

Have we not learned from our mistakes, people? STOP POSTING ON THIS THREAD!!!!!

You fuckers don't seem to realize how close we could be to another Future of Yacht Design Mighetto Mac-tard experience here.

Please, I beseech you, Ignore this mad man and he will go away.

Is this for real? hint #2: Sobek Expeditions operated the first commercial descent of the Coruh River in Turkey in 1981. Two of the Sobek guides detained in Artvin were Jack Morrison & Michael Gage, who was the third?? For the first Documented correct answer you will be allowed to join us in the class 6 raft at no charge what so ever!

The Çoruh was first run in 1978 by Richard Bangs, the rafting legend and Mountain Travel Sobek founder who also pioneered runs down Africa's Zambezi and Blue Nile and Chile's Bío-Bío. Next came überguide Skip Horner, who led the first commercial descent of the Çoruh in 1982 and who later famously led multiple clients up the Seven Summits. He called the Çoruh "one of the hairiest, most challenging runs of my 30-year career."

Maddmacx,

looks like youve spent way to much time getting high, that or the jungle rot has shrivelled your manhood.

Mike,

You are madd. So sad that you post while at such hours. This would be fun to watch live.

Nothing quite like watching armchair meeting reality at 100 kph.

Just-

Sorry for the hrs., it would be fun to get trashed 'live & in person', buy that's during sleepy time in Sri Lanka.

Gee Madd, you just don't get it. Know one cares about climbing mountains or shooting rapids no matter what direction, what country or whos butt you were sucking at the time. Thats why we make the comments, not from lack of knowlege of geography. You're very rich, very spoiled, and very lame but you are NOT a sailor. Thats all that really matters here.

I would elaborate more and wait for the reply but I must leave for some real offshore sailing. I know, I know, its just a delivery but as always I will be sailing as I always do, as fast as possible, as it should be. And when on this downwind run I get passed by that 50 footer race boat with 10 more feet of waterline and 300 sf more of cloth I will be pissed and sail harder because thats what its all about.

I know you are really getting off on your own tittilating comments and our comments here are just fuel for your fire but it must be said.

You suck.

Actually, something I can agree with to a point. No one on this thread should care about mountains or rapids, leave that for other sites. It is interesting to note that none of the personal trashing has ever come about when I was posting various places while living on other boats, doing deliverys and/or other sailing related jobs to get $ to go to the next place (only starts when I say I have a Macgregor-kinda of like being a Christian in Mecca, nobody stones you until they find out you don't adhere to their belief system). Don't knock deliverys, sail as fast as your heart desires, but above all smile and wave at the folks on the powerboats, rickety fishing boats with rusty 2 strokes, and yes even the one off Macgregor you might pass out there someday. As for money, yep I got a little now (you can save quite a bit when you don't own a fancy house or car & live on a 26 ft. boat), the places I managed to get to were because I was willing to bypass all those things most people (Americans) take for granted, cars, TV, family, nice house, etc., while living under bridges and in shacks if necessary & I just keep plugging away (something anyone can do, nothing special needed)-I got paid (a little, but yes I got paid) to guide people with money to places they wanted to go-Kinda like getting some rich guy's boat someplace he wants it to go (ring a bell?). I have no problem with your opnion as I am sure there are a lot of folks who think I suck, but I don't feel to bad about it, because all I have to do is look out the window at the photo's of the kids on the grave markers that go on forever along this coast & it makes me feel pretty sure that I'm sticken my time & money somewhere where it counts. Just a final thought to those folks who might think that the type of reactions they see on this thread are reflective of the attitudes of most sailors sitting on the hook out there in the real world. Nothing could be more from the truth, while some folks are a little susprised to see my boat cruise in, for the most part they don't care if you show up in 3 inner-tubes strapped to a 2x4. Nearly without exception, live-aboard cruisers are great folks & will treat you well, even if you happen to have a Macgregor.

The Çoruh was first run in 1978 by Richard Bangs, the rafting legend and Mountain Travel Sobek founder who also pioneered runs down Africa's Zambezi and Blue Nile and Chile's Bío-Bío. Next came überguide Skip Horner, who led the first commercial descent of the Çoruh in 1982 and who later famously led multiple clients up the Seven Summits. He called the Çoruh "one of the hairiest, most challenging runs of my 30-year career."

Maddmacx,

looks like youve spent way to much time getting high, that or the jungle rot has shrivelled your manhood.

Close, but no cigar-Rich Bangs & Jim Slade did indeed do the first descent of the Coruh, the first comerical descent was in 1981. Skip Horner was the first to run the '3 evils' with passengers in 1982, besides being a climber, Skip is also a sailor (yes, folks some people multi-task), which is an excuse to respond even though this is not sailing related.
so not only do i think all mac's should sail or motor or whatever they do, off a water fall..... but i see no logic in these boats..... its not a motor boat... because its a bit on the heavy side and its got a mast on it..... and its not a sail boat because a) it has an fj mast (about 19ft mast), and the boat is 26 ft long and b)it has a bloody 80 hp moter hanging off the stern........ and what else add to all of this.... THE BOAT IS FUCKING UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that picture, I'm now using it for my wallpaper! yep the boat be ugly, yep she not sail like them J boats, don't know about them real big enginees-except the one I had was heavy & sucked gas (though not as much as a 2 stroke) So here be the question for everybody. You want to travel, lets say 8 maybe 9 thousand miles up & down rivers like the Orinoco, Amazon, Casaquarie, Mississippi, Mackenzie (you get the picture), some that have currents up to 12 knots and sometimes you be goin upriver in only 2 ft. of water-now, in order to get to your first river you have to get around the top of Alaska and into the mouth of the Mackenzie River (after the inside passage; some big, nasty, & very cold open water). Now we all know ain't nobody at any price gonna insure such thing (thus no boat loan), so your on your own-one screw up and it comes out of your pocket (should you live through the screw up)+ Once you get to the Missouri you have to tow around 5 dams before you hit the Mississippi. So now we have to find something that can do all the above + be somewhat comfortable while cruising the islands on your way south. Checking your wallet you seem to be about $80,000-$100,000 short for a F-28 or F-31 Tri. Lets take all the above and see what alternatives (price, requirements, ease of access, low gas consumption, etc.) come to mind??? Of course, some will say screw such a trip 'it ain't real sailing), so maybe it ain't REAL sailng, but somewhere I seem to recall something about 'where the status quo blows' and baby if it don't blow on this kinda boat trip it ain't ever gonna blow no place.

So let's recap a bit. You're sitting, bored in Sri Lanka, no attention, world is passing you by, and you come, unprompted, onto a sailing website, no a RACING sailing website, and, just to get a bit of a reaction (attention, I mean), you start stirring the Mac pot.

No worries, it's all harmless fun. A bit of give and take. We all like a bit of a shit stir.

But then, as the banter goes to and through, you start fucking sermonising. Oh how fucking holier than thou can you get? Photos on kids graves, cruisers don't act like you guys, you're like Christians in Mecca, I've spurned the fucking affluent life, etc etc etc.

Had it occurred to you there are a million heros out there, and not everyone needs to climb a fucking mountain to prove it.

Well, got the attention you crave? Everyone looking at you now?

Your work is done, so fuck off.

Sanctimonious prick.

Rant over

So let's recap a bit. You're sitting, bored in Sri Lanka, no attention, world is passing you by, and you come, unprompted, onto a sailing website, no a RACING sailing website, and, just to get a bit of a reaction (attention, I mean), you start stirring the Mac pot.

No worries, it's all harmless fun. A bit of give and take. We all like a bit of a shit stir.

But then, as the banter goes to and through, you start fucking sermonising. Oh how fucking holier than thou can you get? Photos on kids graves, cruisers don't act like you guys, you're like Christians in Mecca, I've spurned the fucking affluent life, etc etc etc.

Had it occurred to you there are a million heros out there, and not everyone needs to climb a fucking mountain to prove it.

Sanctimonious prick.

Sorry, on reflection the 'kids' comment was out of line-point well taken, I stand corrected; there is some stress assoicated with this place, that sometimes gets through. In the future I will keep my comments to MAC bashing and/or bashing Mac bashers. For the record I have followed the site & Mac bashing for some time without posting; Sailing about by myself seemed just fine. I was requested by friends (both Mac sailors & non-Mac sailors) to jump in because I have some experience with the boat. As this forum is the 'major league' of abuse of the boat it is where anyone wanting to not duck the heat has to come. I didn't create the environment, I just joined in. Keep in mind that sometimes new blood is not altogether a bad thing. No one has to stay on this thread-if everyone goes away so will it. If on the other hand the folks who actually have specific questions to ask about the boat stay around so will I. As I'm off on the water for the next couple of days there should be pleanty of time for everyone to load their guns.

Rant over

With all the good used boats out there, why is the Mac the best affordable option? There was a guy on this forum trying to GIVE AWAY a JJ Taylor Contessa 26 recently. You can slap an outboard on the stern of just about anything. Did Macgregor give you the boat? In fairness Bayliner built sailboats at one time, so the Mac is not the worst boat on the water.

Close, but no cigar-Rich Bangs & Jim Slade did indeed do the first descent of the Coruh, the first comerical descent was in 1981. Skip Horner was the first to run the '3 evils' with passengers in 1982, besides being a climber, Skip is also a sailor (yes, folks some people multi-task), which is an excuse to respond even though this is not sailing related.

madmax,

I'll have the answer posted this morning - CONFIRMED.

well, well, well

That was interesting.

The answer is MIKE DUNN, the 3rd person.

As morrison recalls, the turks not only got on those 3 but also the the clients & adot(sp) the local quide as well. The whole flashlight in the face thing with guns drawn in a dark room. Seems the boys forgot to get the permit. Well, Mike saves the day because he so happenned to know the turkisk military man who was detaining them. Both went to usc and graduated same class.

when do we start packing........

Sanctimonious prick.

Rant over

Dude,

He is right. Cruisers are different than you guys. You gotta go get laid or get a drink or something. Its kinda funny. He took a Mac places I would not take a Mac. But then again he got to sail and see some places I would sure love to see... and if the Mac was the only way he was going to get there, well... so be it.

jombp

Archived