IOR Quarter Tonners

Thiepval

Catch was the late John Allenby's very successful little boat.

I think the other one might have had a stern-job adding some deck on - else why would the runners not be further aft ?

Tom Bombadil. A prize from Teakys desk (or possibly even Marko's) if anyone can explain where the name came from....

Tom Bombadil, one of the stranger characters from the lord of the rings (Tolkien). Sad thing he was not in the movies.

Great name for a boat, because Bombadil is completely imune and above nature, while being an integral part of it (or something like that).

Once actually ran into a quarterton boat called 'Tom Bombadil' in Lefkas (Greece). Could it be the same boat? It was a wooden one though, and it was 10 years ago.

Current entry list

Sail No Hcap Name Type Owner

GBR 50 0.893 Espada Farr one-off Peter Morton

GBR 502 0.910 Catch Philip Briand, One-off Darren Marston

IRL 506 0.897 Murphy's Law Chris Boyd, One-off Mark Cartwright & Nick Barker

GBR 0.836 East Wind David Thomas, Quartet Michael Townshend

IRL 2076 0.886 Manzanita Ron Holland Joxer O'Brien & Neil Kenefick

GBR 3341 0.896 Odd Job Stephen Jones, One-off Paul Treliving

K 3575 0.858 Extension Jack de Ridder, One-off Tony Monk

GBR 6169 0.866 Zipper David Thomas Russell Smith

GBR 0.853 Merlin David Thomas, Bolero Giles Bowerman

GBR 6498 0.891 Diamond Dubois, One-off Graydon Dawson

FRA 6694 0.873 45 South Farr 727 Laurent Beaurin

GBR 7027 0.864 Super Q Farr 727 Louise Morton

GBR 7055 1.000 Runaway Bus Paul Whiting, One-off James Hockridge

GBR 7070 0.870 Purple Haze David Thomas Tony Dodd

GBR 7278 0.880 Tom Bombadil Doug Peterson Chris Frost/Kevin George

GBR 7299 1.000 Panic Charlie Hutton

GBR 7447 0.884 Pacifist Andrew Peace, One -off Stephen Patterson

K7500 0.863 Supernova Ed Dubois Ollie Ophaus

GBR 7555 0.869 Ayanami David Thomas, Bolero Roger Swinney

GBR 7744 0.912 Alice Morrison, One-off Ken Bruneflod

IRL 8164 0.885 Enigma Dubois, One-off Ed Dubois

FRA 9289 0.912 ASAP Faroux, one-off Christie/Layton/Crawford/Paul

Enigma and Odd Job are the onlyt two i recognise from the quarter-ton cup I did in Ireland in '87. Even then they were to two oldest (but not the slowest) boats in the fleet.

The event was one by Paul Richard Jensen (who I beleive has done done a little dragon and etchell sailing since) in a souped-up MG26, followed by Gordon McGuire (making his big-time debut) in a Humphrey's design called Quest.

I think there were about 25 boats there, of which half a dozen were MG26s.

It was my first experiene of how quickly the French can sail in the dark, after their lights mysteriously fail.

Those boats are so cool it hurts.

Damn that was an interesting group of boats in their day.

Hope the GP26 comes close to creating the same sort of excitement although I shouLd shut up and be grateful for the success if Classe Mini........but that's different.

THANKS FOR THE PICS

A) bastard things went round the island at the same speed as us! Not telling how much bigger we were!

B) wife demands I take her shopping in Cowes this week, so will try to shove her off in her wheelchair and sneek back with my camera..

C) Panic - (Heppel or Gimpel??? I'll check in the morning and update) seen today on the Hamble, so a likely entry.

D) sure to be a cracking event!

I look at those photos and think "That's what proper race boats look like." Shocking how IOR warped the mind of an impressionable youth.

Enigma and Odd Job are the onlyt two i recognise from the quarter-ton cup I did in Ireland in '87. Even then they were to two oldest (but not the slowest) boats in the fleet.

The event was one by Paul Richard Jensen (who I beleive has done done a little dragon and etchell sailing since) in a souped-up MG26, followed by Gordon McGuire (making his big-time debut) in a Humphrey's design called Quest.

I think there were about 25 boats there, of which half a dozen were MG26s.

It was my first experiene of how quickly the French can sail in the dark, after their lights mysteriously fail.

Odd Job has been beautifully restored over the winter - the finish has to be seen to be believed.

Morty's 1/4 ton rescue operation has excelled itself - mind you the owner quite rightly tows her to and fro across the Channel, rather than putting her through the punishment of a real delivery.

The event was one by Paul Richard Jensen (who I beleive has done done a little dragon and etchells sailing since) in a souped-up MG26, followed by Gordon McGuire (making his big-time debut) in a Humphrey's design called Quest.

Paul-Richard Hoj Jensen??? The man who has won Olympic Gold, many dragon events, quarter ton cups etc., yet when he won the Edinburgh Cup recently, he said "I am really shit at starting"....

Funny how the really good guys don't tell you how great they are.

I think the other one might have had a stern-job adding some deck on - else why would the runners not be further aft ?

I think this boat was the winner, or close to winner in Falmouth in 1990 (?) or maybe '89. I don't know why the runners are forward, but this looks like state of the art at the time - she even still has the chamfer on the gunwhale that allows the designer to dictate where the AGS falls (Aft Girth Station).

I think this is the original stern.

In the IOR quarter-tonner days in the US, Bruce Farr had a "screw the rule" approach. His 727's were much smaller and lighter than the other boats--mostly Doug Peterson and Ron Holland designs. Instead of the contorted pinched in transoms we found broad runs aft and boats that were a delight in big air. Ironically, it's easy to liken the Farr 727 to the Volvo 70 "ABN Amro One" and the rest of the fleet to the Farr designed Volvo 70's.

The first 727 I recall was "49 Degrees South". It's overwhelming victory in a big European regatta was the catalyst for our entry in the 1976 1/4 ton North Americans of a sister ship, "whY whY". Sailing with John Potter and Scott Allen, we ran away from the fleet when the breeze came on. Fortunately, the breeze was on for most of the regatta and we won the event.

This Farr design coincided with the launch of the J/24 which rated much higher than quarter ton. Didn't matter. It was a well-marketed one-design and stole the 727's thunder. Too bad. It is a great boat.

Checked my records. Panic was designed by Peter Gimpel. Heres a photo.

post-4387-1149498857_thumb.jpg

Alden Bugly, I was sailing at the 76 NA's in a Evelyn 24 and recall you guys hauling ass. What was the boat with the bird cage mast? I've been trying to remember that for a long time.

Is the guy sitting on the aft pulpit inside or outside the guard wires??? :P

I presume they are racing under IRC - can anyone confirm this???

That photo looks like it pre-dates IRC by a few years.

Yes it does, however the 2006 quarter ton cup will be raced from cowes on wednesday, thursday and friday of this week. Lots of different vintages (see photos above) and surely there must be some leveling or handicap system.

Or is this another of Morty's level rating ideas, where he has the fastest boat anyway....

I used to race on that boat. I actually got her back in racing shape after she was abandoned half full of water in a local yard. Sweet little boat.

I used to race on that boat. I actually got her back in racing shape after she was abandoned half full of water in a local yard. Sweet little boat.

got to luv the old 1/4 and 1/2 tonners

don't need a speedo as you measure the boat speed by how far the water comes in over the stern and up the cockpit floor (ex Holland 1/4 and Dubios 1/2 owner)

I was once offered a ride on that out of Brighton Marina about 15 years ago - but the engine wasn't happy and there was a big swell running in through the harbour entrance (associated with the 20+ knots outside) and we didn't fancy trashing it against the wall so I never got to go.

It was called Extension because it was built in George's garage which was only 20' feet long. So they had to add a bit to it.

Anyone remember what happened to the outrageous Potter design 1/4 ton Warbird of about the same vintage? The thing was painted a bilious chocolate brown, and had enormous sitting-out wings making it look like an amateur aircraft carrier. Built out of 1/8" ply, I think. Pink footprints on the foredeck indicated where it was (relatively) safe to stand or walk. And there was a large notice on the main hatch "Go down steps one at a time. Do NOT jump."

Happy days.

Tom Bombadil. A prize from Teakys desk (or possibly even Marko's) if anyone can explain where the name came from....

It comes from lord of the rings

"The Hobbit" I think....Tom was old mate Bilbo Baggins mate IIRC.

Great photos and thread Thiep et al...Ta!

I look at those photos and think "That's what proper race boats look like." Shocking how IOR warped the mind of an impressionable youth.

I've got to agree, they just look fast.

First Day photos

Just a guess, but I would say the guys on these "old ladies" are having as much, if not more fun than on some new sportsboats that will eventually be "old" too.

As noted ......... "they just look fast!" Showing my age I guess? :lol:

Had a great time sailing the Quarter Ton worlds of '82 which were actually held in Jan 83 here in Melbourne. Small but quality fleet with disappointingly nil, zero, nada, none overseas entrants.

It was won by Graeme " Joyful"Jones in the Dubois designed Quartermaster from Keith Jones Quarterflash and us in the Davidson designed Ocean Racer Chaser. Crew was owner/builder Rod Dredge and Mark Livingstone from RQ and myself, Frank "Filth" Hammond who made the sails and Peter Hickey as the local lads. We won two of the races including the long race which turned into a two-day drift around Port Phillip. I well remember the lack of wind to sail in and an excess of wind to breathe. (The food was crook) They were fun boats to race and fun people to race with and against. Some of those Quarters are still actively racing here on Port Phillip and I believe ORC is still going strong in JOGGIE circles somewhere in Sydney. At the time they were described as throwaway boats but they have stood the test of time well.

Alden Bugly, I was sailing at the 76 NA's in a Evelyn 24 and recall you guys hauling ass. What was the boat with the bird cage mast? I've been trying to remember that for a long time.

I'm sorry, I remember the boat, but not her name.

One of those shots (the one that is also on the SA front page at the moment) looks like an imminent collision. Is that just the telephoto lens effect, or was it really a close call or collision?

Yes it does, however the 2006 quarter ton cup will be raced from cowes on wednesday, thursday and friday of this week. Lots of different vintages (see photos above) and surely there must be some leveling or handicap system.

Or is this another of Morty's level rating ideas, where he has the fastest boat anyway....

Interesting comment as I did not win the QTC last year and the only series I did was VAC in the Farr 45 Atomic. Are saying she is not a Farr 45 and therefore is dominating the Farr 45s this year?

Come to the Haven and introduce yourself and have a look at the 1/4

Morty

It was called Extension because it was built in George's garage which was only 20' feet long. So they had to add a bit to it.

Anyone remember what happened to the outrageous Potter design 1/4 ton Warbird of about the same vintage? The thing was painted a bilious chocolate brown, and had enormous sitting-out wings making it look like an amateur aircraft carrier. Built out of 1/8" ply, I think. Pink footprints on the foredeck indicated where it was (relatively) safe to stand or walk. And there was a large notice on the main hatch "Go down steps one at a time. Do NOT jump."

Happy days.

I seem to remember Warbird was seriously damaged on rocks just after a major rule change. This information could be absolute bollocks though... I didn't get my screen name for nothing!

Interesting comment as I did not win the QTC last year and the only series I did was VAC in the Farr 45 Atomic. Are saying she is not a Farr 45 and therefore is dominating the Farr 45s this year?

Morty

No, Mr Morty, nothing of the sort. I was there, doing the VAC, but I was on one of the water pushing dug outs more commonly known as a Swan 45, hence my comment. No offence intended.

I've read the NOR, and I'm still a bit confused - is it first past the post, or IRC handicap.

Great to see the event, and also to see that you gave the missus your old boat - she works too hard, and its good to see her racing too.

I will take up your offer of having a look at your quarter, though!

One of those shots (the one that is also on the SA front page at the moment) looks like an imminent collision. Is that just the telephoto lens effect, or was it really a close call or collision?

we refer to that as a duck

Morty

No, Mr Morty, nothing of the sort. I was there, doing the VAC, but I was on one of the water pushing dug outs more commonly known as a Swan 45, hence my comment. No offence intended.

I've read the NOR, and I'm still a bit confused - is it first past the post, or IRC handicap.

Great to see the event, and also to see that you gave the missus your old boat - she works too hard, and its good to see her racing too.

The 1/4 Tonners are racing under IRC. This was done after consulting with Mike Urwin at the RORC Rating office who had some experience in running the 1/2 Tonners that got going again a few years ago. The propblem being that there was no way of helping the older boats like the Quarto, Extentions and other early 70s boats compared with the latest mid 90s boats like Per Elisa. Even if it were possible to re-rate under IOR the new boats would hammer the old boats. Under IRC age does get a fair lump of rating bonus. Also many of the boats had already had removed "bumps" and aft girth creases and added lead to the their keels so sticking to the pure IOR was not really possible. Not perfect but better than nothing and to get 20 out racing is good to see.

Under IRC the small IOR skegs and creases can be removed or filled in and many of the boat have done that. More recently boats that needed new rigs have gone for for swept aft spreaders but again this is nothing new in 1/4 Tonners. The Farr 727 45 Degres South won the 1/4 Ton Cup with swept aft spreaders in 1973 and Odd Job had them when new.

To-date a 1977 Dubois boat is winning form a 1980 Farr boat witha 1973 Stephen Jones boat 3rd with a Farr 727 in the money as well.

I will try and get more detailed photo's posted on the site

Morty

post-7229-1149578660_thumb.jpg

:unsure: That looks a bit like an IRC rig to me. Shouldn't a 1/4 tonner have a 150% genoa, a 3/4 mast and quadruple spreaders and runners?

Looks like a good rig setup. Small headsail, big main....inverse of the IOR setup. Easy on the crew, too.

This era of IOR boat had huge mains and small jibs, this rig looks like the hoist on the jib has been increased to make up for lack of overlap.

This boat is from 1977, right? Mini mains and 160% genoas the norm. The big mains were late IOR.

1sailor........Flying Circus is still kicking. She's located in Channel Islands Harbor in California. Great boat but could use a make-over. John sails it as a wednesday night boat for the most part

Wow, there's a half-ton of em! More than I expected.

So an active 1/4 and 1/2 Ton class, at least in Europe. Maybe there's potential for a Great Lakes 3/4 Ton someday, time to do a little research.

Morty

The 1/4 Tonners are racing under IRC. This was done after consulting with Mike Urwin at the RORC Rating office who had some experience in running the 1/2 Tonners that got going again a few years ago. The propblem being that there was no way of helping the older boats like the Quarto, Extentions and other early 70s boats compared with the latest mid 90s boats like Per Elisa. Even if it were possible to re-rate under IOR the new boats would hammer the old boats. Under IRC age does get a fair lump of rating bonus. Also many of the boats had already had removed "bumps" and aft girth creases and added lead to the their keels so sticking to the pure IOR was not really possible. Not perfect but better than nothing and to get 20 out racing is good to see.

Under IRC the small IOR skegs and creases can be removed or filled in and many of the boat have done that. More recently boats that needed new rigs have gone for for swept aft spreaders but again this is nothing new in 1/4 Tonners. The Farr 727 45 Degres South won the 1/4 Ton Cup with swept aft spreaders in 1973 and Odd Job had them when new.

To-date a 1977 Dubois boat is winning form a 1980 Farr boat witha 1973 Stephen Jones boat 3rd with a Farr 727 in the money as well.

I will try and get more detailed photo's posted on the site

Morty

Wot no pic's or results????

What is that Brown girl doing?????

Why I think it is immensely cool that they still race these old tubs I will never know. Yet, I still consider them cool. Kudos to the Ed for posting the great shot on the front page. Long live the leadmine !

Are the measured and rated IOR ? May be hard to find someone that remembers how to measure a girth

They are measured and handicapped under IRC, but here is a rule that goes soemthing like "The boat must have, at some time in it's life, had an IOR certificate that rated it as quarter ton"

1sailor........Flying Circus is still kicking. She's located in Channel Islands Harbor in California. Great boat but could use a make-over. John sails it as a wednesday night boat for the most part

That means he's owned it for close to 30 years-- cool.

Tell him the chubby kid who used to stand on his dock all the time and drool over his boat says hello.

Can anyone tell me the origin of "ASAP".??

It looks very like the former Faroux designed "MNEF" which competed in the 1987 QTC in Cork was subseqently raced in Duiblin Bay and known as "Discovery"

It is certainly a Faroux design, of around that vintage. Marko was there (Cork 1987), maybe he recognises her?

It looks very like the former Faroux designed "MNEF" which competed in the 1987 QTC in Cork was subseqently raced in Duiblin Bay and known as "Discovery"

While i can't give you the answer Sinbad, you might try to guess through the photographs, with this one of MNEF from The FAUROUX WEBSITE

post-6361-1149761205_thumb.jpg

That means he's owned it for close to 30 years-- cool.

Tell him the chubby kid who used to stand on his dock all the time and drool over his boat says hello.

Also, tell him the same kid is still drooling too.

(ha ha ! laugh ! I'm just kidding ya 1sailor!)

1SAILOR DOESN'T REALLY DROOL. He musta had that fixed.

Boy O'boy those 1/4 tonners are cool little machines. I can see why they might cause one to drool.

Is the Quarter ton cup planned for next year? If so, where?

Yes. From the Royal Corinthian website:

"Proceedings were wound up by Red Funnel's Managing Director, Tom Dogherty, who thanked the competitors and organisers for a very special event and confirmed Red Funnel's ongoing support of the Quarter Ton Cup in 2007.

Dates for the 2007 Red Funnel Quarter Ton Cup will be announced later this year. "

Sponsorship by Red Funnel implies Cowes again.

Is the Quarter ton cup planned for next year? If so, where?

Yes. From the Royal Corinthian website:

"Proceedings were wound up by Red Funnel's Managing Director, Tom Dogherty, who thanked the competitors and organisers for a very special event and confirmed Red Funnel's ongoing support of the Quarter Ton Cup in 2007.

Dates for the 2007 Red Funnel Quarter Ton Cup will be announced later this year. "

Sponsorship by Red Funnel implies Cowes again.

At an owners meeting it was decided to have three events next year. One in Cowes again sponsored by Red Funnel, one in the West Country probably Brixham and the French are going to organise an event in La Trinite or Benodat. They have tracked down 25 boats in France and have formed a 1/4 association. ( Think there is a website 1/4 ton .fr with a list of boats). If the French Class does materialise then 2008 " Worlds" may be in France but until we see a Class there similar size to that in the UK the current owners were not prepared to commit to France.

To- date we have not been able to find the "real" !/4 Ton Cup as it was last won by an Italian ( Per Elisa) chances are we won't but there are guys out there looking for it.

We are trying to get a UK 1/4 Ton website going so that details of any boats people see lying around in boatyards/fields/landfill sites can be enetered but have just found an interesting boat on the East Coast. Runaway Bus, is a sister ship to Magic Bus which win the 1/4 Ton Cup in Corpus Christi. It was designed by the late Paul Whiting. Also the Rob Humphies designed Quest has been spotted in Dublin.

While i can't give you the answer Sinbad, you might try to guess through the photographs, with this one of MNEF from The FAUROUX WEBSITE

Thanks Moody, well researched. Remembering now the rounded stern of the former MNEF it does not appear to match ASAP's lines, so I have to conclude it is not the same boat. I would still like to know what happened to MNEF/Discovery if anyone out there happens to know ?

I think ASAP might have been Saniflo and the Morrison designed Four Mates was "modeled" on that design.

The Humphries Quarter Tonner Quest was in Dublin a few years ago, then she went to the Isle of Man and was renamed Full Circle. I recently heard that she has been sold to Northern Ireland. She competed in the recent Irish IRC Nationals in Dublin.

When was the last Quarter Ton Cup held? When were the last boats built?

The last 1/4 Ton Cup was 1996 which I think was the last IOR Level Rating Event held.

The Italians designed the last boats with Ceccerelli and Fontano Malleto doing boats around 1994.

The Humphries Quarter Tonner Quest was in Dublin a few years ago, then she went to the Isle of Man and was renamed Full Circle. I recently heard that she has been sold to Northern Ireland. She competed in the recent Irish IRC Nationals in Dublin.

Thanks I will chase it up

Did Caligula win any titles in the old days? Was referred to as a mini tonner, but I believe did well in the 1/4 ton worlds.

Was my first "Big Boat" although not much bigger than my laser!!!

Heres a trio of quarts from the 83 Worlds. Can you pick the designs?

Upper left - Joubert/Nivelt or Briand?

Upper right - Judel/Vrolijk?

Lower left - Faroux ?

I should know, but here in the states the 1/4 T's were not as popular as the bigger level raters (must have been the American preoccupation with "size"), so we didn't hear as much about them back when...

Did Caligula win any titles in the old days? Was referred to as a mini tonner, but I believe did well in the 1/4 ton worlds.

Was my first "Big Boat" although not much bigger than my laser!!!

Caligula was a min-tonner designed and sailed by Jim McIlwraith in the early 80s.

Senator Incatatus was his 1/4 tonner.

A remarkable boat, owned and sailed by the designer, who had no real IOR-form, turned up at the '87 Worlds and won the first race. Dropped his rig in 40 knots in the second, and with a very rough repair put together enough top 5s in the reaming races to place top 5 overall.

The bowman now sails on Magic Gloves.

Marko, was it competing in the 1/4 world or the mini-tonner worlds?

Looking back, was a great boat to sail.... Doing bow, jib, spin and (some)shots!!!

1/4 ton worlds at Cork.

Looking back, they were quite a handful to crew, wth 4 people handling a boat with runners and checks.

In the hoists I would eas the jib sheet, , hoist the kite, drop the jib, then the helm and runner man would pass me the guy and sheet respectively. A few of the more hi-tech boats had only two winches, (or less) and I know they found the corners a real handfull.

[

A few of the more hi-tech boats had only two winches, (or less) and I know they found the corners a real handfull.

I remember a guy telling me abouta fairly extreme quarter tonner that had no winches. Instead they used muscle boxes or multipliers. Sounds fairly hardcore to me.

He also told me stories about a quarter ton cup in Scotland where they sent to fleet out in an overnight race in 40 knots of breeze. Anyone know the story?

[

A few of the more hi-tech boats had only two winches, (or less) and I know they found the corners a real handfull.

I remember a guy telling me abouta fairly extreme quarter tonner that had no winches. Instead they used muscle boxes or multipliers. Sounds fairly hardcore to me.

He also told me stories about a quarter ton cup in Scotland where they sent to fleet out in an overnight race in 40 knots of breeze. Anyone know the story?

Quite a few of the boats had no runner winches, and course/fine tunes on the floor.

Phoenix (I think) had no winches at all. The jib sheeted to a ratched block with a cleat attached. These were on a plate on a track which could be pulled aft for more tension. They had grat fun getting the guy back on a windy reach.

The 40 knot was at cork in '87. We went out the start at Cork Buoy under bare poles. We started on no 4 and 2 reefts, but some of the fleet only had 1 (or no reefs) and were on storm-jibs. A french boat (Jolie Couer) broke her mastbefore the start, and Senator broke hers gybing on the first run). It was a wild race. At one windward mark we didn't fancy a kite so we tack-changed from the 4 to the H1 for the run.

Quarter Ton Cups seemed to get more than their share of very high winds.

The 81 or 82 event in Marseilles, saw all boats retire (including stalwarts) bar three which stopped for a number of hours in the lee of Cap Sicie to wait for the wind the reduce (this included winner Protis and Andrieu's own quarter Cifraline on the hereunder shot from the designer's website (HERE)

Japan earlier had also seen an extremely windy offshore race, a friend quoted it as sailing a flat out heavy-wind FD race in the middle of nowhere, without light, for hours and hours. oh, I forgot spreader-high waves.

post-6361-1150461945_thumb.jpg

Heres a trio of quarts from the 83 Worlds. Can you pick the designs?

post-449-1150373362_thumb.jpg post-449-1150373400_thumb.jpg post-449-1150373469_thumb.jpg

Sportscar, Dad and I almost bought Spectrum, we had bought the plane tickets and everything, the broker had sold it before we arrived, knowing we were coming mind you. We ended up staying with my Aunty and catching up with the rellies.

Ocean Racer Chaser is still alive and well and lives on the lake up here. Still cleans up in JOG although that has been quiet lately. Dissmasted 2004 IIRC

• 11 months later...

those pics bring some fond memories from a time looong gone.

nice to see these little beauties (well, at least they were at the time) alive and kicking.

• 1 month later...

I used to race on Zipper in NE England, we would regularly thrash (over the water) all the impala's and Sigma 33's. cool boat. Anyone remember Chia Chia (Hugh Welbourne), Panda's little sister

Archived