16 minutes ago, Jdmilnes2 said:

Hello All...

I do not own a Swede 55, but understand how beautiful these boats are.  There is a Swede 55 that

grounded off of Sandy Hook, NJ (USA) that sustained hull damage and is now on the hard.  I think

the boat was written off by the insurance company, but it is repairable with some love and money.

Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina, call the harbor office.  Someone grab this beauty before it's too late!

I believe that is Rosina, formerly owned by slowboat on Lake Champlain, and is in this thread.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never control the narrative with SWMBO. What is hers is hers and what is mine is hers. Fortunately she likes boats and is extremely easy to live with. (Me not so much, but for reasons beyond my abil

Hello everybody, on may 30 this year, after a five year search, we finally did it. We (the family) are now proud owners of Swede 55 n:o 2. This boat actually belonged to Mr Olof Hildebrand himsel

Saturday May 2nd we launced S-18 Miramis into the Baltic (Saltsö-Duvnäs near Stockholm). Wonderfult weather and everything went well. Tomorrow raising mast and first sailing hopefully.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

I believe that is Rosina, formerly owned by slowboat on Lake Champlain, and is in this thread.

Yes you are correct, just want to keep this alive so somebody grabs her.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cliffstagg said:

Cleaning out stuff since stuck in house. 
Temptress Swede 55 1982                 San Francisco to Kauai. Doing 25kts, over size spinnakers and 35kts of wind. 

Very cool. Any chance to see more? Helmsman looks pretty relaxed ...

4 hours ago, cliffstagg said:

Cleaning out stuff since stuck in house. 
Temptress Swede 55 1982                 San Francisco to Kauai. Doing 25kts, over size spinnakers and 35kts of wind. 

50ACDC83-BF93-483B-83D9-7CB29B1301DA.jpeg

Amazing photo!

On 3/16/2020 at 4:34 PM, Streetwise said:

Sometime last year @slowboat told me that Rosina was sold and going to Spain. So unlikely to be her I think?

7 hours ago, boguing said:

Sometime last year @slowboat told me that Rosina was sold and going to Spain. So unlikely to be her I think?

I would only hope so.  I saw someone on board her last weekend cleaning items out of the boat.  Hopefully its the new owner.  So sad to see such a gorgeous vessel not being cared for.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/4/2020 at 3:00 PM, Ulf Torberger said:

Saturday May 2nd we launced S-18 Miramis into the Baltic (Saltsö-Duvnäs near Stockholm). Wonderfult weather and everything went well.

Tomorrow raising mast and first sailing hopefully.

20200502_085526_B.jpg

20200502_085605_B.jpg

20200418_184517.jpg

Ulf, 

What kind of wind speed can the wheel pilot handle? 

Cheers,

Zach

• Like 1
On 10/28/2020 at 5:24 PM, Zach said:

Ulf, 

What kind of wind speed can the wheel pilot handle? 

Cheers,

Zach

It's not so much about speed, but more about the forces on the rudder. It can only be used in low to medium wind. This is Raymarine 4000+ and probably 15 years old or so, but works fine. However a new product is probably much better in most conditions.

The Swede 55 number 22, Siloah was left on land in Italy uncovered since 1980's. New (2019-) Swedish owner and lot's of refit done. Sailed from Italy to Germany in september 2019. Siloah was fitted with a new autopilot that worked fine in very heavy weather. Don't know details.

Interesting Slowboat. Do you have a foto or a scetch on the installaltion on top of the rudder stock: Foundation of the drive, extension of the emercency tiller pin?

If so, how long is the extension?

Here are is the top of the rudder stock. You can see the ram off to the right.

The autopilot quadrant was also also made by AlphaMarine, and you can see the push pull lever that disengages the autopilot ram when not in use, so there was no drag on the system.

B2F93891-9D8C-4192-8D75-305984655052.jpeg

01E7A926-AE7C-4F20-8009-1FD0BEE2776E.jpeg

• Like 1
On 3/16/2020 at 12:34 PM, Streetwise said:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/boa/d/staten-island-1977-swede-55-sailboat/7223044413.html

Here you go.  She's up for sale after being repaired.

• Like 1

Slowboat, sailing my 55 often doublehanded I am thinking about an autopilot for hoisting, reefing or lowering sails, I find your autoplot solution interesting.

• this seems be a long lever arm, sufficient to hold the rudder in a seaway and/or at hight speeds.
  • I assume the lever arm limits the rudder angle a bit, to which extent?
  • I guess you laminated a solid suspension below the portside footrail of "Rosina"?

I have not yet understood the releasing mechanism by means of the push/pull bowden cable on top of the lever arm.

• Any details about this, so I would not have to invent/design this?

Best from Northern Germany approaching the next lockdown (announced for entire November, for sure lasting longer ...)

Zebra

Here is a diagram of the rudder stock arm. Mine was the 18” arm.

http://www.alphamarinesystems.com/alpha_marine_drive_dimentions_and_alignment.htm

And a slightly different image here:http://www.alphamarinesystems.com/alpha_spectra.htm

it was a cool system- the only downside was that the autopilot didn’t know the ram was disconnected, so you needed to engage the quadrant before turning the autopilot to steer mode. I don’t remember significant limitations to steering angle - certainly nothing that the autopilot would need to handle, as you don’t use it for tight maneuvers.

Interesting. Do I understand it well here is a second hinge with inthe actuator lever arm and a device permitting to have the actuator lever turning free of the autopilots strut?

Where is that hinge?

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

Interesting. Do I understand it well here is a second hinge with inthe actuator lever arm and a device permitting to have the actuator lever turning free of the autopilots strut?

Where is that hinge?

Exactly right. In the second link I provided, you can see the hinge right off the rudder stock. It isn’t a hinge as much as a pivot bearing. So the overall quadrant is made up of two big pieces the part that bolts to the stock, and the arm that pivots.

16 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Craigslist Staten Island

18E24074-B993-49B5-94AC-6115341B77C0.jpeg

I need to move to a place with deeper water!  I love those boats, have since I was a freshman in college in the 70's and they were listed in those old "Cruising World" annual boat show editions.  

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Bespoke comes to mind

^^^^^^^^^^^

I've owned a Hinckey, and sailed Swans and Little Harbors, they're nice, but not the same. You should come sailing sometime.

13 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I drool when I see this boat and then reflect on my poor decision to live in an area with shallow rivers and bay.

What it lacks in beam, it makes up in speed and beauty...

Lack of beam is why it has those other more important attributes!  I never thought I could afford one but the CL ad has me wondering....just need to move to a place that it could actually live and sail.  Any suggestions for east coast?

Anywhere north of Monmouth County, NJ. South of there the water gets thin.

Long Island Sound and further North have the water the Swede needs to stretch her legs on the East Coast 

• 2 weeks later...

A 55-aficionado from Sweden made me aware of an article published in "På Kryy & Till Rors", issue 11 of 1976, which was gladly added to http://swedesail.de/en/swede-55/sources

The title "The new flagship of Fisksätra yard being handled without gorillas required aboard" refers to the ease of handling of the light displacement design.

Should anyone of you know of other publications, i.e. of an introduction in the KSSS magazine of the Royal Swedish Yachtclub in Stockholm, or other magazine articles, this would be quite interesting for the 55-fraternity.

Nice Sunday and best - Zebra

Screenshot.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The recent sale of two Andersen 46 Jib sheet winches enabled me to get these new ones, the 200 mm base just fitting to the Swede 55 pedestal.

Due to Corona I had my hair cut by girlfriend last week. Sitting quietly on the chair I had time to think about financing the Delta between old & new models. As I bought them for her,  by no means for me: based on 3 haircuts (30 € each) annually, she could earn the upgrade within 14 ½ years. Probably shorter, as hairdressing costs will rise due to inflation.

Assuming this thread is read by reasonable and matured male readers (husbands proven in different kinds of sea state) I wonder if you find this view comprehensible and worth being adressed to her. Or should I declare the silverware boldly as a gift from the start - hoping for more haircuts?

Swede 55 Jib sheet winches.jpg

Swede 55 winch from top.jpg

17 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Assuming this thread is read by reasonable and matured male readers (husbands proven in different kinds of sea state) I wonder if you find this view comprehensible and worth being adressed to her

This female reader thinks you are living very dangerously.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Zebra said:

The recent sale of two Andersen 46 Jib sheet winches enabled me to get these new ones, the 200 mm base just fitting to the Swede 55 pedestal.

Due to Corona I had my hair cut by girlfriend last week. Sitting quietly on the chair I had time to think about financing the Delta between old & new models. As I bought them for her,  by no means for me: based on 3 haircuts (30 € each) annually, she could earn the upgrade within 14 ½ years. Probably shorter, as hairdressing costs will rise due to inflation.

Assuming this thread is read by reasonable and matured male readers (husbands proven in different kinds of sea state) I wonder if you find this view comprehensible and worth being adressed to her. Or should I declare the silverware boldly as a gift from the start - hoping for more haircuts?

Zebra, I think you have shown some advanced thinking. I would suggest the outright gift approach. In my experience, it always works.  If you ask her to accept them as payment for future services, you may have to find a new hair stylist, or worse, suffer hideous hair cuts for the next 14½ years.

Beautiful winches - take good care of them!

Bolt the winches on the boat, never mention them again, never consider the cost again. The money is spent. She will never noticed or know.

I hope you put them in the garage as soon as they were delivered and not left them where she been irritated by them. If not you're a fucking hack and deserve everything your get.

22 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Bolt the winches on the boat, never mention them again, never consider the cost again. The money is spent. She will never noticed or know.

I hope you put them in the garage as soon as they were delivered and not left them where she been irritated by them. If not you're a fucking hack and deserve everything your get.

I tried that already many years ago - replacing a fixed three blade prop by a nicely advanced high end Variprop, resources at that time being smaller, the Delta bigger.

It did not help at all a propeller is generally operating hidden below the boat. Guess who received the parcel?

It was spring, not christmas and serious questions were adressed to me. This forced me to a complete change in strategy.

56 minutes ago, Zebra said:

It was spring, not christmas and serious questions were adressed to me. This forced me to a complete change in strategy.

Secrecy is a poor strategy, because it is usually rumbled, and then you are busy defending the secrecy or apologising for it ... and either way, you have lost control of the narrative.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Secrecy is a poor strategy, because it is usually rumbled, and then you are busy defending the secrecy or apologising for it ... and either way, you have lost control of the narrative.

I never control the narrative with SWMBO. What is hers is hers and what is mine is hers. Fortunately she likes boats and is extremely easy to live with. (Me not so much, but for reasons beyond my ability to understand she puts up with me.)

2EC30129-DC72-4F20-A412-8F6F3F873062.jpeg

• Like 7

I bought a TP-52 once without telling my wife. 

When she found out, "Well, that's nice, honey.  Better than a girlfriend." 

Pretty sure I could have gotten two for the price.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Oh hogwash, Kim! If we were opposite gender, I'd marry you!

You are delightful to spend time with and always full of yet another surprise!

You just like me because I put single malt in my breakfast oatmeal........

(SWMBO and I have had both our shots now, so if the weather improves and Green Card finishes the work on FRANCIS we should go sailing again!)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

Call me a snob, but how dare you to put a bottle of „Jever Fun Alkoholfrei Biermix Blutorange“ Next to these things? 

From the pictures, it wasn't opened, so it posed no immediate threat.

14 hours ago, kimbottles said:

You just like me because I put single malt in my breakfast oatmeal........

(SWMBO and I have had both our shots now, so if the weather improves and Green Card finishes the work on FRANCIS we should go sailing again!)

So here I am... cancelled TWICE for my COVID shots... still trying to schedule!

On the upside, I'm current with my shingles shots!

23 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Financial transparency regarding the boat within a relation and consensually spent money seems advisable – depending on budget, boat or related upgrade, daily temperature, general overcast and counterpart.

2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

So here I am... cancelled TWICE for my COVID shots... still trying to schedule!

On the upside, I'm current with my shingles shots!

22 hours ago, kimbottles said:

I never control the narrative with SWMBO. What is hers is hers and what is mine is hers. Fortunately she likes boats and is extremely easy to live with. (Me not so much, but for reasons beyond my ability to understand she puts up with me.)

She probably admires your taste in boats.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

As you perhaps know, Swede 55 has a smaller sister named S30. The S30 was designed by Knud Reimers in the early seventies and built more than 300 times.

I would like to make you aware of a well preserved and tastefully upgraded S30, owned by a good sailing friend from the swiss shore of Lake Constance (Bodensee): He has the boat since 1973. This tells something about the design and him as sailing connoisseur:

English: http://swedesail.de/en/s30-for-sale

German: http://swedesail.de/s-30-angebot

Nice weekend

S 30 Rudder.JPG

• 3 weeks later...