Santa Barbara Sailing

Trust me, we will all miss the flatulent sound of her golden voice on the water, her wide-eyed look of ignorance on the starting line and her seemingly endless journey of fetid decisions to do the wrong thing.

Are you talking about Nancy "Botox" Pelosi?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Awesome sailor and a great guy. Eric....good luck on your recovery if you are reading this. Hey Longy................how are you doing? Haven't seen you in ages.   KK

I was sad to hear that local boy/sailing Pro Eric Arndt had a big heart attack last month at Key West. Had the full on surgery and stints. The good news is that he is feeling great and recovering well

Yeah, it is basically non-race boats that want to race, big, heavy, under canvased and usually poorly sailed and a danger to others. But it's hard to condemn anyone who loves being on the water even i

Posted Images

Trust me, we will all miss the flatulent sound of her golden voice on the water, her wide-eyed look of ignorance on the starting line and her seemingly endless journey of fetid decisions to do the wrong thing.

Are you talking about Nancy "Botox" Pelosi?

Dude, take it to PA my belching sweetness, see you Sunday on the water.

woohoo! The Lounge Act is on the road again and took a first place today in the Melges 24 Class at the St. Francis YC Spring Keel Boat Regatta.

You go guys!

post-1224-1236483341_thumb.jpg

They were also the cover shot of the SBYC Scuttlebutt. Nice shot by Sharon Green down in Key West.

NEWS FLASH!

LOUNGE ACT SWEEPS AT ST. FRANCIS SPRING KEEL!

The Lounge Act Lizards kicked ass, first place with a 5 point lead.

Go the Lizards! Good job guys.

The Salty Saturday gals are going out tomorrow for some FJ racing and to check out the 2 whales that have been camping out at the end of the wharf...then some debriefing at the club with nachos & chardonnay.

ONLY 5 DAYS TILL WET WEDS RACES BEGIN. :D

post-1224-1236968636.gif

Did Thumper do himself in?

post-1224-1236986937.jpg

The "booming" Melges 24 Class is on a downward slide. I heard that Glenn is toast also.

Might make for some new owners of the most FUN keel boat I've ever sailed. The perfect balance between keelboat safety and dinghy-like simplicity-- no winch handles and managable loads.

There's a write-up on the National site about StFYC Spring Keel. http://www.usmelges24.com/news/2009/article/usmcanews845.asp I believe the photo is Vince Brun from KWRW-09.

But more interesting to the local fleet, multiple San Francisco boats are looking to come to the Fiesta Cup this year in SB. It's part of the M-24 West Coast Championship. http://www.usmelges24.com/fleets/Westcoast.asp

Hopefully the the National Organization figures out that it's spelled COLAHAN, not Colehan soon! :)

It was a bitchen day for chicks on FJ's, nice breeze and it warmed up towards the end. The visiting Canadian team was amazed at the hundreds of on lookers on the wharf and spectator boats that surrounded us. She thought, wow in Santa Barbara sailing is a spectator sport. But actually the lookers were all about the grey whale that came inside the harbor and into our race area. It was pretty amazing to see that big grey surface near us. Very exciting!

WEDNESDAYS !!

Isn't "Wednesday" a code for naked dudes? How about "Friday"! :lol:

Well, then -

WET WEDNESDAYS!

(..or maybe not... Bob hears Wednesday and thinks naked guys. I hear it and think it's sailin' time!

I like my impulses better. Different strokes...)

Hey KK

what's your ride for spring WW series?

Now that "ding dong the Witch is Dead", I'm hoping to see Kenny out on the water either driving his own program (ie charter one of the hybernated Melges 24s)or doing some coaching on some of the faltering big boat local programs. There are plenty of people who could use his help.

Bummer! I know he has had hip problems, maybe even a hip replacement?

Condor speak to us! Are you OK?

Dislocated hip down below. Fortunately fell onto some sailbags, so somewhat immobilized until the help arrived. Great work by Harbor Patrol, Fire Dept, and Paramedics to get me off the boat.

Fun night at the ER. Lotsa pain meds helped. Knocked me out and put the hip back in.

We were home about 10:30.

Feels like shit today, though...

Many thanks to the people I sail with for handling things cleanly. I'm a whimpering pile down below - they called the harbor and 911, guarded the gate to let the medics in, and helped me as much as possible.

I wasn't too there for most of it, but I do recall Thumper coming by and saying maybe I should just be put down...

It was a bitchen day for chicks on FJ's, nice breeze and it warmed up towards the end. The visiting Canadian team was amazed at the hundreds of on lookers on the wharf and spectator boats that surrounded us. She thought, wow in Santa Barbara sailing is a spectator sport. But actually the lookers were all about the grey whale that came inside the harbor and into our race area. It was pretty amazing to see that big grey surface near us. Very exciting!

How bout a story on the chicks on FJs?

Sounds like Pascone is in the hurt locker after hitting a car on his bicycle..broken arm and ribs. It wasn't that long ago that he crashed his motorcycle.

Sometimes bad things happen to men who cheat on their wives. It's called Karma. :lol:

OUCH!

How bout a story on the chicks on FJs?

Well Clean, that's an interesting idea, it's kind of a low profile grass roots deal where I pair up some good dinghy sailors ie. Sharon Green, Heidi Ziskind, Casey Pelltier, Heather McCassland with gals who have never done this type of sailing (ie. me, T.Conlon, Julie Tomlinson, Karen Cahill, Betsy Crowfoot and about 10 others. The newbies can now rig the boats by themselves and are getting the "feel" of the whole thing. We have had some good on the water coaches, Dana Jones, Larry Harteck and Stu Johnstone. The basis is "fun". We do not keep score, we pay our coaches with cocktails. But it's kinda like being 13 years old again and learning a new tippy boat. So far I am the only one who has gone in the water and blown bubbles and lost my Maui Jims in the process. If you think these antics are worth an SA story, I will work on more pics and videos of women between the ages of 30 and 60 who have a great time in this learning process. It's good for a laugh. My reward is that they are all getting better and there is much laughter on the course and commaradarie afterwards. :rolleyes:

post-1224-1237517886_thumb.jpg

From the PHRF So Cal minutes for Feb.

The Judge Advocate introduced himself and thanked Ken Kieding for coming and invited him to

address the board regarding the changes to STING. Ken addressed the board explaining the

procedure he uses when Dr. Schlessinger buys a used boat. He takes it apart and redoes ‘everything’

to make it “right”. He has all the hoses and tanks/bladder removed and replaced because they smell.

The owner and racers never use the head. They only use a portable head. The cabin door came to

them wrapped in bubble wrap and was put in a storage container during the refit and overlooked.

He emphasized that the sink was not removed. They never use the sink so he missed seeing that the

hoses connecting to the thru hull were missing and also the forward floor boards. He went on to say

that he hires the work out but takes full responsibility for not inspecting STING thoroughly when

the work was finished. He sincerely apologized for the problems he has caused. The board members

asked questions. He was then excused and the board began a lengthy discussion of his statements.

No other representatives of STING or Dr. Schlessinger appeared. The board considered the written

statements of Kenny Kieding and Robert B, Kieding

One member stated that he had known Ken for years and was not sure he intended to cheat

deliberately. Another member stated that he thought that it was unlikely that Dr. Schlessinger knew

that the boat was not in its rated configuration based upon Ken’s statement that he was responsible

for the refit and Dr. Schlessinger just shows up to race. He is very scrupulous about “his boats”

being spotlessly clean and ready to race. However, it was also pointed out that Ken is a J Boat

dealer and as such should have known what was legal and what was not. After a very lengthy

discussion and deliberation, the PHRF Judge Advocate explained to the members their options. 1)

do nothing. 2) do nothing, but issue a stern warning, or 3) suspend the current racing certificates

held by Dr. Schlessinger for WARRIOR and PERFECT.

Facts Found:

(1) Dr. Laura Schlessinger owned STING, USA 55. After signing an application the boat

was issued a certificate from PHRF of SoCal.

(2) Dr. Schlessinger purchased STING from another owner, not from the factory.

(3) After purchasing STING, Dr. Schlessinger arranged for the removal of the holding tank,

bulkhead door, and plumbing related to the sink.

(4) Dr. Schlessinger entered STING in PHRF SoCal sanctioned events.

(5) While racing in those events, STING had no holding tank, no bulkhead door, no forward

floor boards and no plumbing connecting the sink to the thru hull.

(6) The condition of STING, as referenced in paragraph 5, violates Class Rule 7.

A motion was made and seconded to suspend the J125, WARRIOR’s 2009 PHRF Certificates 7125

and 7125A and the J100, PERFECT’s 2009 PHRF Certificate 7227 for a period of 3 months

starting today.

The motion passed 4 to 2. As of today’s date, February 17, 2009 the J125, WARRIOR’s 2009

PHRF Certificates 7125 and 7125A and the J100, PERFECT’s 2009 PHRF Certificate 7227 are

suspended until May 17, 2009.

If you think these antics are worth an SA story, I will work on more pics and videos of women between the ages of 30 and 60 who have a great time in this learning process.

I think a lot of women around the world would appreciate it, and be happy to learn how to do something similar. Unfortunately, most of them don't read this incestuous SB thread. Tell Sharon I send my love. Mer knows I have a crush on her.

slight hijack

I'm going to be down in SB for a job interview next thursday/friday, any sailing on thusrday night?

Also, without having to go through all 114 pages, what is the sailing like? classes etc

and, what's it like to live in the SB area?

I'm going to be down in SB for a job interview next thursday/friday, any sailing on thusrday night?

----usuall wed nites for all of daylight savings - not so much thurs/fri

Also, without having to go through all 114 pages, what is the sailing like? classes etc

----sailing is good - one way race track - loads of kelp, lighter than usual so cal breeze, phrf keelboats mostly, with reasonably good j24, melges 24 one design, some skiffs, 29ers & I14s a couple of regattas a year

and, what's it like to live in the SB area?

-----one of the better places in the world - but bring $$$

WORD!

If you do get here Wednesday afternoon we can find you a ride. Race from 5 to 7 approx. then big party & BBQ at the Club afterwards. Another race Saturday, about a 15 miler, may be able to get you a ride for that also.

Saturday should be a fun race out to the mid channel buoy and back, about 23 miles. CG is making us some margarita jello shots..it's in one of the alcohol food groups.! :D

The whale is still hanging around the harbor.

post-1224-1237931943_thumb.jpg

NorthU_USS_SantaBarbara_e_vite.pdf

There are 25 seats available for Dave Perry's rules seminar on April 4th. SBYC is helping members and Jr. members attend at special rates. Members are $70.00 and includes lunch; Jr. Members/skippers are $40.00 and include lunch. Those who are already signed up under one of these categories will have their charge adjusted accordingly. Please PM me if you have questions.

Excellent race today out to the mid channel and back. Many of you will be happy to know that it turns out I did not have the memory card in my camera...so all those on board pics of us doing the margarita jello shots, race videos and the bar shots of us doing "blow jobs" at the bar, pictures of us getting the 1st Place trophy, pics of skipper Grange's wife getting wild, Joelle with whipped cream drooling out of her mouth, Raegan and I kissing on the lips after applying much needed lip gloss, Tedd White doing a birthday "blow job"...yes they are all toast and will not be posted on SA.

Now you can all say in unison, AHH..thank God :rolleyes:

Excellent race today out to the mid channel and back. Many of you will be happy to know that it turns out I did not have the memory card in my camera...so all those on board pics of us doing the margarita jello shots, race videos and the bar shots of us doing "blow jobs" at the bar, pictures of us getting the 1st Place trophy, pics of skipper Grange's wife getting wild, Joelle with whipped cream drooling out of her mouth, Raegan and I kissing on the lips after applying much needed lip gloss, Tedd White doing a birthday "blow job"...yes they are all toast and will not be posted on SA.

Now you can all say in unison, AHH..thank God :rolleyes:

AH.. No Pix - Never Happened :o:o:o !!!!

if you're shooting with a Canon (DSLR),

an old post of mine referred to Factory setting that allow shooting without card - Disable it !!!!!!!!!

Did the Doc sail her J-100 yesterday?

You know the one "Too" Perfect?

Rumuor is circulating the J-100 was sailed last season with a 155% jib and symetrical spinnaker poles (not the way it came from mfg) and PHRF is looking into it. Oh brother. Guess it was the same rating as the one design version, small jib and bow tacked spinnaker and they got a cert that says the sym spin and 155% jib was "NO" hit on their cert. Sailed that way and won some big regatta's. I think PH made a boo boo, but still, would you not think that more sail area is going to be a hit when you got your cert from PH? Or would you do the "Right Thing" and just go sail and win a regatta or two until it was time to retire her before the heat was on and tell everyone she is now a "cruising boat".

The subject may be mute. Several sources say that she will never grace the race course again. The only harbor sighting has been da Doc in full leathers, big ol' chain hanging from the waist, 3 wheeled pink Harley and a sequined helmet. ( I swear I am not making this up). I think she will fit in much better with the Harley group 'tude than she did with the sailors. :P

Nice try on the J 100 rumor Enola Gay.........sounds like something out of the "Tailer Park Times". All the correct data was presented to PHRF and a rating certificate was mailed back. This included the genoa and symmetrical spinnaker with the stock J pole length.

Janer,

Caroline should be back home by race time, but she won't have time to make jello-shots... I guess we will have to sail around with no competition and only beer and water.... and they call this A-fleet!!!! Paul Krugman is right- Return to Depression Economics!!! :)

Hijack!

I love Bobby Flay. Does he have a restaurant in Vegas?

Yep. It is called Mesa grill in Caesars Palace. Very nice.

Janer,

Caroline should be back home by race time, but she won't have time to make jello-shots... I guess we will have to sail around with no competition and only beer and water.... and they call this A-fleet!!!! Paul Krugman is right- Return to Depression Economics!!! :)

Beer and water bullshit. You know I drink neither of those. Is the half gallon of Mt.Gay gone already? I like to drink thru the depression, then I get happy feet. :P

PS. I think we will win again!

Wife is dining at Commanders Palace in New Orleans this evening. Yeah, I'm jealous and hungry! Frozen pizza for me.

Dude, please tell me that you cooked it first. Only the old Alchemy crew ate totally frozen pizza after forgetting to fuel up the stove.

post-1224-1238556203_thumb.jpgy

We still have some room at Dave Perry's Rules Seminar tomorrow. $80.00 for SBYC members and $95.00 for members of other clubs and includes lunch. It's at the Maritime Museum at 8:45 am.

post-1224-1238765489_thumb.jpg

Wow. Pretty much a gale condition from Pt. Conception to LA. Glad we will be in the "classroom" with Dave Perry tomorrow. He arrived safely and we got the gliches out of the power point & video presentation for tomorrow. :rolleyes: After we set it all up Dana had to go rescue some Opti's when Big puffs were coming thru the harbor. Thanks Dana.

We actually had a nice email conversation. She's quite a clever lady, fun to debate with though we don't really see eye to eye on anything. I've expressed to her numerous times over the past couple of years my wish that she'd use her pulpit to spread the sailing gospel to some of her millions of female listeners (some of them are bound to be hot), but she's never stepped up to the plate, that's always been the root of my personal issue with her. I like listening to her show - it's pure entertainment and always gives me and Mer a chuckle. We even went to see her one-woman show in Detroit after she sent us tickets a couple years back - not really my cup of tea, but certainly an interesting study in humankind...

Congratulations on getting rid of Dr. Laura - sailing is just getting way too crowded. So, whose next on the list of people to get rid of - perhaps stock brokers. :rolleyes:

Come on… Don't disrespect the woman by presuming that she doesn't practice what she preaches. Personal responsibility is the cornerstone of her pitch and if you had some facts instead of presumptions, you would know that she is one responsible for her own numerous yachting gaffs.

Still, if you insist on blaming someone; who could have led this poor woman down such an unrighteous path. His name sounds like what PHRF says she was doing.

So, whose next on the list of people to get rid of - perhaps stock brokers. :rolleyes:

Can't get rid of the stock brokers, they own all the J/105's. :blink:

I bet DL comes back and kicks some major ass.

BTW....who do we resign with? Jobson? I thought this was all labor wall type work.

post-692-1238984900_thumb.jpg

post-692-1238985320.gif

Max,

You are such a rogue. :lol:

The only major ass is .....well you know.

So will this set a precedent? Should all sailors notify Clean when they are done, toast, banned, etc?

HIJACK! ...really done with the L topic, ugh

On Saturday 36 sailors spent a record 8 hours together with Rules Guru Dave Perry. Absolutely incredible that such a talented sailor, excellent author could also be a captivating speaker. We basically went from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm with a working lunch discussing racing rules and the attendees were begging for more. Dave was animated, brilliant, extremely funny and engaging. A variety of visual aides, white board, video, etc augmented his speaking.

Thanks go to the Maritime Museum for helping me out with the theater room, the YC for the buffet working lunch and special kudos to Margot who flew in from Colorado, lost her luggage and stil showed up on time. Great gal who sails a J/22 on Dillon Lake.

So I have had Peter Isler do this a few times and last year Brad Dellenbaugh..love you guys no shit. But Dave Perry is my man now and as long as I can get him to come to Santa Barbara he will be my #1 choice for rules seminars.

Like all good sailors we all had a beer together at the Yacht Club at the end of the seminar It was beautiful, sunny, blowing about 15 as we sat in the bar. Dave commented on what a beautiful view we had. He's an excellent guy. :)

Looks like a serious Pacific front is coming in..might be a real Wet Wednesday, and more rain to come. Race committtee is a bitch when it is raining with a big swell. I'll try to get Mark to chime in with his prediction/

Looks like a serious Pacific front is coming in..might be a real Wet Wednesday, and more rain to come. Race committtee is a bitch when it is raining with a big swell. I'll try to get Mark to chime in with his prediction/

I don't suppose Skian Dhu is RC?....

I don't suppose Skian Dhu is RC?....

No, but they are the protest committee. I'm getting a flag out!

Today/tomorrow's event is a pretty boring system to be honest. There will be an increase in onshore flow but with the exception of a little bump today from the south which will moderate this evening and a bit of breeze to approximately 19 knots tomorrow for only a short time this small closed upper low isn't looking too interesting at the moment.

Friday afternoon into the weekend is looking like it might really bring some wind and larger seas to the Santa Barbara area...

Today/tomorrow's event is a pretty boring system to be honest. There will be an increase in onshore flow but with the exception of a little bump today from the south which will moderate this evening and a bit of breeze to approximately 19 knots tomorrow for only a short time this small closed upper low isn't looking too interesting at the moment.

Friday afternoon into the weekend is looking like it might really bring some wind and larger seas to the Santa Barbara area...

Yesterday's Wx forecast coming in right on target. Winds should peak at 19 knots, Gust 26 in favored locations. Mostly 241-260 degrees. A lovely day in Santa Barbara!

At 1:00PM it is white capping nicely in front of the club and there has been a west shift.

Have fun! Be safe! Stay aboard!

Yesterday's Wx forecast coming in right on target. Winds should peak at 19 knots, Gust 26 in favored locations. Mostly 241-260 degrees. A lovely day in Santa Barbara!

At 1:00PM it is white capping nicely in front of the club and there has been a west shift.

Have fun! Be safe! Stay aboard!

Latest models are in and there is a change. Beginning between 2:15PM and 3:30PM the winds should increase to between 23 and 27 knots with higher gusts. The winds will begin to decrease around 6-7PM.

Yikes

windbox_April_6.png

Mark, thanks, I think. :o

I would think that 23-27 is a manageable range. It's not 32 Gusting 40 (At least on the model run)...

Please take a moment tomorrow and let me know what you actually see this afternoon so that we can debrief on the model run.

Thank you!

I would think that 23-27 is a manageable range. It's not 32 Gusting 40 (At least on the model run)...

Please take a moment tomorrow and let me know what you actually see this afternoon so that we can debrief on the model run.

Thank you!

Mark -

Thanks for all the weather info you put up here. I always look for it, and find it very valuable.

(...and usually accurate. How does he do it!? :o )

Thank you!

Mark -

Thanks for all the weather info you put up here. I always look for it, and find it very valuable.

(...and usually accurate. How does he do it!? :o )

Wx.Route.com

Coming soon...

FYI, the Dr. L sent me a note today announcing her retirement from racing.

WOW !!!!

that should go up on

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ummmmmmmmmm

Do we have a Back Page ??? :wacko::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well, I have not heard from those on the water what the biggest puff was tonight. The Taxi and Skian Dhu crew made a parking lot decision to fight it out in the bar. On the Bar-o-meter we saw 31.8 knots. Still about 20 boats went out and was good for bar watching, some weather round-ups etc. A Melges 24 had a man overboard at the start with a quick recovery. Thank God. The biggest fleet out there was the J/105's and Larry and Johnny D were having a great race. Personally I was very happy :) to be in the bar with lots of warm and dry sailor pals.

Happy Birthday to Head Lizard Loren.

Well, I have not heard from those on the water what the biggest puff was tonight. The Taxi and Skian Dhu crew made a parking lot decision to fight it out in the bar. On the Bar-o-meter we saw 31.8 knots. Still about 20 boats went out and was good for bar watching, some weather round-ups etc. A Melges 24 had a man overboard at the start with a quick recovery. Thank God. The biggest fleet out there was the J/105's and Larry and Johnny D were having a great race. Personally I was very happy :) to be in the bar with lots of warm and dry sailor pals.

Happy Birthday to Head Lizard Loren.

I reviewed the metoe data from UCSB and the Goleta and SB Airport and the max wind and timing looked spot on.

Props to Predict Wind and our other models for nailing it tonight!

actually in the bar it was reported in mph - so a sustained 25 mph with gusts to 31 mph = 21 kts and 26 kts gust - clocking hard right

this was at 5:00 PM, and by 6:30 it had died to 8 with gusts to 15