Santa Barbara Sailing

You Guys & Gals share something (on SA)

that is lacking in DAGO

ain't no facking way that everyone in DAGO ain't logged-in

but everyone down this way is all hush -hush and shit, about who's who and like that

of course I didn't get any "thanks for our pic at the BCYC Party from S-B either" :o

Oh well Happy 5th "O" July ;) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Awesome sailor and a great guy. Eric....good luck on your recovery if you are reading this. Hey Longy................how are you doing? Haven't seen you in ages.   KK

I was sad to hear that local boy/sailing Pro Eric Arndt had a big heart attack last month at Key West. Had the full on surgery and stints. The good news is that he is feeling great and recovering well

Yeah, it is basically non-race boats that want to race, big, heavy, under canvased and usually poorly sailed and a danger to others. But it's hard to condemn anyone who loves being on the water even i

Posted Images

Great 4th at the Harbor. G-money's new power boat is pretty sweet!

As far as Transpac:

Good Grief! Alpha Romeo averaging 7 knots faster than Mag? Wow.

I'm still rooting for my pals on GI.

Race Committee de Jour:

post-1224-1246899278_thumb.jpg

Two women's races coming up on Saturday!

Congrats to winners Becky and team mates Casey & Donna! Also pictured Race Chair Karen.

Lots of wind, wine and orchids for the women skippers races on Saturday.

post-1224-1247678622_thumb.jpg

I didn't notice the red boat. We had our own oddities going on. On the final leg, coming out of the fog we ended up smack in the middle of the giant kelp garden. As we attempted to gybe out the keel hit a brick wall of kelp that stopped us like a pit bull on the end of its chain. Next thing you know the boom is in the water and the Farr is rounding up. WTF?

Fun though. :huh::lol:

I didn't notice the red boat. We had our own oddities going on. On the final leg, coming out of the fog we ended up smack in the middle of the giant kelp garden. As we attempted to gybe out the keel hit a brick wall of kelp that stopped us like a pit bull on the end of its chain. Next thing you know the boom is in the water and the Farr is rounding up. WTF?

Fun though. :huh::lol:

Yeah, we actually had to navigate some, instead of seeing everything from miles off.

We managed to snag kelp several times, and we hit an attached piece on the first beat, pulled it off the bottom, and took it with us. About 8-10 feet on the rudder. Thank goodness for outboard rudders!

Warrior won the McNish around Anacapa last weekend representing SB!

First in A Class and First Woman Skipper. Great race, 12-15 knots all day and a fast rounding around Anacapa. Prevail the SC 52 was second in A class and the boat to beat for Warrior all day with a gybing duel down the backside. We even saw 3 Grey Whales. Perfect day and great crew. Followed up by a visit to Ventura Briophies...nice place. This is a great race for SB-KH tune up. Mark your calendars for next year.

post-692-1247802728_thumb.jpg

post-692-1247802735_thumb.jpg

post-692-1247802741_thumb.jpg

post-692-1247802749_thumb.jpg

Warrior won the Milt Ingram around Anacapa last weekend representing SB!

First in A Class and First Woman Skipper. Great race, 12-15 knots all day and a fast rounding around Anacapa. Prevail the SC 52 was second in A class and the boat to beat for Warrior all day with a gybing duel down the backside. We even saw 3 Grey Whales. Perfect day and great crew. Followed up by a visit to Ventura Briophies...nice place. This is a great race for SB-KH tune up. Mark your calendars for next year.

Fixed it for you. Folks around Ventura/Channel Islands just called it Milt's race for many years.

Condor,

You're scaring me. How do you fix someone else's post?

How are things going with the SB2KH Race entries? I know the Farr 40's will have their own class.

I've got 7 of them signed up for Fiesta Cup next weekend. Still looking for a few on the water helpers too.

post-1224-1247845020_thumb.jpg

Happy Friday! Star Lipton Cup this weekend.

Condor,

You're scaring me. How do you fix someone else's post? ITS CALLED PASTE JANER!

How are things going with the SB2KH Race entries? I know the Farr 40's will have their own class.

I've got 7 of them signed up for Fiesta Cup next weekend. Still looking for a few on the water helpers too.

post-1224-1247845020_thumb.jpg

Happy Friday! Star Lipton Cup this weekend.

what's it rate?

Don't know but I will bet we will see it in CHRF!

Beautiful weekend of sailing for 10 Star boats competing for the Lipton Cup.

Winners were Erik Lidecis and Huy Nguyen of Newport Harbor Yacht Club.

post-1224-1248102126_thumb.jpg

Kudos to organizer/RC Chair KP and Mrs. KP. Always an excellently run event.

Gotta Love Erik...all 6'9" of him. Tallest guy I have ever seen do mast on a maxi boat. He can get the chute up.....NOW jumping.

Even more amazing is how he skippers a Star and can get under the boom!

Perfect conditions for the Star sailors

post-1224-1248191623_thumb.jpgpost-1224-1248191637_thumb.jpg

Looks like this coming weekend will be more of the same: sun and breeze.

Fiesta Cup is looking to be 8 or 9 Farr 40's, 10 J/105's and a smattering of

Melges 24. Dave Ullman told me on Saturday that he was going to race and

he already had his Melges here in SB. His house burned down :( in the recent

fires but he is going to rebuild and is renting in the mean time.

when did lidecis and marzhal quit sailing together?

AFAIK, the boat was sold to Huy Nguyen and--as part of the deal--Eric has agreed to sail with him for a few months.

I think you'll see Erik and Mike do some sailing together after that.

But what do I know :blink:

KP

when did lidecis and marzhal quit sailing together?

Sharon will be out shooting pictures at Fiesta Cup on Sat! :D

Slide show later at the Club.

post-1224-1248298690_thumb.jpg

Excellent! We will have 8 Farr 40's for Fiesta Cup this year: Skian Dhu, Dark Star, Far Niente, Ohana, Piranha, Temptress, White Knight and Woolly Bully - and all but Skian Dhu are going on SB2KH! C'mon guys it's your home YC's race! Put together a team and go downhill. Lookin' forward to Mai Tai's.

Yes it was a great weekend we even had an up and coming pro out showing some of the Star sailors how it is done

post-16745-1248392881_thumb.jpg

Right on.

Little Mattie hiking AND driving a Star. This weekend he's down at the Opti Nationals with his brother.

Anyone wanting their bottom cleaned before Fiesta Cup should call 450-DIVE!

Manana the fun begins!

No one guessed it.

Robby Burg.

If you have a Triumph Bonneville, you may know him as a zen master.

Otherwise he was the owner of "Wizard" the winning Peterson 1/4 tonner.

Thanks to Jane and all the other volunteers at SBYC for a great weekend. Ya gotta love a club where you can sit on the beach after the racing enjoying free margaritas and Mexican food with live music!

Thanks to Jane and all the other volunteers at SBYC for a great weekend. Ya gotta love a club where you can sit on the beach after the racing enjoying free margaritas and Mexican food with live music!

Yeah Jane! It was a great regatta. Congrats to Piranha!

Yeah Jane! It was a great regatta. Congrats to Piranha!

Thanks folks! I've got hundreds of photos to go thru between Sharon Green and myself. It was a beautiful weekend and lots of fun. Congrats to David Voss for winning the Farr 40 class and the So Cal Circuit for the year. Second place was my home boys and gals on Skian Dhu and third was Jay Janov and his new Farr 40 Dark Star. (Last year Jay won the J/105 division. A total of 8 Farr 40's attended. Tempest was unable to race on the first day due to a main halyard problem, but came out the second day and took 1,3,1. More news to come. Gotta run

post-1224-1248740075_thumb.jpg

Fiesta Cup had 9 J/105's and the local favorites pretty much dominated. Alex Rasmussen and his Free Enterprise crew took first place after 6 races. Larry and Repeat Offender were 2nd and 3 points behind. Peter Lufkin was third on Short Skirt.

post-1224-1248792467_thumb.jpg

Sharon Green shots (www.ultimatesailing.com)

post-1224-1248793274_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1248793287_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1248793301_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1248793317_thumb.jpg

Great job with the Fiesta Cup Janer!

You arranged for the eight Farr 40’s, nine J-105’s, and a bevy of Melges 24’s to have the best of Santa Barbara. Good wind, flat water, lots of sun, plenty of dolphins, amazing views of the mountains and great parties.

You arranged for the eight Farr 40’s, nine J-105’s, and a bevy of Melges 24’s to have the best of Santa Barbara. Good wind, flat water, lots of sun, plenty of dolphins, amazing views of the mountains and great parties.

I have a question...Why not have a Santa Barbara Fiesta Race Week and party...

What if...You moved Fiesta Cup to Thursday and Friday of the weekend for SB-King Harbor? Almost everyone comes up Thursday anyway for the HUGE party Thursday night. Start racing at 1:00PM on Thursday when the wind comes up anyway. Race until 5:00PM. On the dock and put away by 6:00PM. That puts you on State Street by 7:00PM or at the club if you go there after the races by 6:15PM.

Buoy races on Friday from 1:00PM until 5:00 PM again. (Gotta give time for the hang over to lapse)

Santa Barbara to King Harbor on Saturday arrive Saturday night/ Sunday morning. The Shrimp and party at KHYC is on Sunday afternoon anyway...

Just sayin....??? Why Not???

You arranged for the eight Farr 40's, nine J-105's, and a bevy of Melges 24's to have the best of Santa Barbara. Good wind, flat water, lots of sun, plenty of dolphins, amazing views of the mountains and great parties.

I have a question...Why not have a Santa Barbara Fiesta Race Week and party...

What if...You moved Fiesta Cup to Thursday and Friday of the weekend for SB-King Harbor? Almost everyone comes up Thursday anyway for the HUGE party Thursday night. Start racing at 1:00PM on Thursday when the wind comes up anyway. Race until 5:00PM. On the dock and put away by 6:00PM. That puts you on State Street by 7:00PM or at the club if you go there after the races by 6:15PM.

Buoy races on Friday from 1:00PM until 5:00 PM again. (Gotta give time for the hang over to lapse)

Santa Barbara to King Harbor on Saturday arrive Saturday night/ Sunday morning. The Shrimp and party at KHYC is on Sunday afternoon anyway...

Just sayin....??? Why Not???

It’s a nice suggestion.

Back in the good old days, when a “race week” really was a week, many regattas combined buoy racing with medium and long distance races. Because many boats come from down south for the SB to King Harbor Race, if we were back in the good old days, the suggestion would be a hit. But were not.

People aren’t calibrated the same way. Time is of the essence. Logistics for competitors’ and race organizers’ are complicated so regattas tend to get broken up into more manageable bites.

Making the Fiesta Cup a feeder to the SB to King Harbor Race seems to work. But the times are changing, so who knows. One thing is certain, sailors will tell race organizers what they want by their attendance.

Agree with timmytwin. With the front-end and back-end deliveries, to do what Mark suggests would have some boats underway from Tuesday night to Monday.

Also, some of the boats doing SB-KH would probably not do the buoy racing, which brings up a large logistical problem in docking/rafting. As it is, we block the first three or four slips on every finger for a night before the race.

Be fun to do though.

100 boats for SB-KH so far!

Mark's got some good thoughts there but I think that in this economy getting people to race for four days is tougher. However, I definitely agree that there is no longer any reason for the SB to King Harbor Race to start on Friday.

As it is, the Fiesta Cup is growing in size every year, so if it ain't broke...blah blah. I think I can count on bigger Farr 40 and J/105 fleets next year. Now if I could just get those pesky little Melges 24's to show with a good fleet I would be happy. I want this to remain a quality one design regatta with as much bang for the buck as possible. I'm not going to start adding PH classes etc. just to make it a bigger event.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks :)

You can see Doug Deaver's helicopter hovering behind the Farr 40's. They got some good shots too.

post-1224-1248800242_thumb.jpg

More Sharon Green (www.ultimatesailing.com)

post-1224-1248800324_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1248800546_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1248800407_thumb.jpg

I did not forget about the Melges 24 fleet! Four local boats raced in 7 races. Each boat won at least one race each which is pretty cool. Bill Lannan (Stimulus Bill) won the tie breaker with Loren Colahan's Lounge Act for First Place. They each had a total of 16 points. Bandit (Wolfe/McFarland) took 3rd with 18 points and Eric Stokke 4th place on Average White Boat with 20 points.

post-1224-1248809309_thumb.jpgpost-1224-1248809322_thumb.jpg

100 entries is excellent considering it is a Transpac year and those players won't make it.

John & Deneen are having their Mumm 30 trucked out for the race. That should be a good ride.

post-1224-1248815749.jpg

The entry list for Santa Barbara to King Harbor Race is shaping up nicely with 105 entries. Good showing of Big Dogs:

Magnitude, Medicine Man, OEX, Taxi, Holua and the new Pendragon. the usual Big Cats, Afterburner and Phat Cat, one design classes of Farr 40 and J/105; four Farr 30's including Demoukas' Groovederci. And Mike Burke's Hobie 33 Capt. Sluggo, past winner, is back on scene. Even The Ed with his Flying Tiger is stepping up.

Hoping for some sweet winds although no predictions for anything epic. Party tonight at SBYC.

post-1224-1248984994_thumb.png

The entry list for Santa Barbara to King Harbor Race is shaping up nicely with 105 entries. Good showing of Big Dogs:

Magnitude, Medicine Man, OEX, Taxi, Holua and the new Pendragon. the usual Big Cats, Afterburner and Phat Cat, one design classes of Farr 40 and J/105; four Farr 30's including Demoukas' Groovederci. And Mike Burke's Hobie 33 Capt. Sluggo, past winner, is back on scene. Even The Ed with his Flying Tiger is stepping up.

Hoping for some sweet winds although no predictions for anything epic. Party tonight at SBYC.

Still in New Zealand. Might be here with the old boat.

Fast Race.

Good steady breeze start to finish.

Never saw more than 17 and never less than 10.

Started and just plain sailed to KH.

GREAT RACE.

Was home in my own bed in SB by 1 am! Finished on Warrior J 125 at 9:28.

Anarchy finished at @10:12.

Taxi finished @ 8 pm.

Just a very nice sail.

Fast Race.

Good steady breeze start to finish.

Never saw more than 17 and never less than 10.

Started and just plain sailed to KH.

GREAT RACE.

Was home in my own bed in SB by 1 am! Finished on Warrior J 125 at 9:28.

Anarchy finished at @10:12.

Taxi finished @ 8 pm.

Just a very nice sail.

Ditto, finished just after 9:30 on SC50 Flacka, right behind Dave Voss and just in front of Bolt.

Viper...Funny. The "Anarchy" FT 10 guys said it was a threat all day and this was in non planing conditions. Cannot imagine what it would have done if it was breeze on.

PH should address some of these boats, it is hard to rate them correctly.

Frankly the race was a steady wind parade and thus would be VERY good for rating assessments.

Yes, nice breeze down the backside.

I would like to get some feedback on two things:

1. Would you like this race to start on Saturday?

2. Did you like having it off of Fiesta weekend? (Less traffic, roadblocks etc and more hotel rooms available)

Still haven't seen any results from the King Harbor YC. Other than that, more pics:

post-1224-1249161473_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1249161490_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1249161507_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1249161518_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1249161668_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1249161678_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1249161755_thumb.jpg

As someone who gets very few days off work (I'm in a start-up company) and has to conserve those few days for family vacations, having the race start on Saturday would certainly make it more likely that I could do it (and I want to do it next year). In general, Friday races (and three day regattas) are tough for me to manage these days with my work schedule, and I much prefer to keep it to the weekend. With a late Saturday/early Sunday finish, I could drop the crew off at KH and get the boat back to SD early enough Sunday night to be back at work Monday morning with no problem.

Thank you for your input.

To repeat the question to the 1000 or so sailors:

1. Would you rather the start was on Saturday.? The Friday start was instigated 30 years ago when boats were much slower and the economy much better.

2. Did you like having it on the non-Fiesta parade weekend? More hotel rooms available, no roadblocks, no extreme traffic, but no downtown fiesta parties.

Still no results that I can find. Frustrating. I thought King Harbor YC had gotten more up to speed in the last couple years.

You guys sailed a great race.....appreciate you guys letting us in there at the bouy for the finish....sure put a smile on the owners face.

You guys were not even in our class. Sure we could have forced a Port Starboard, we were on Starboard, but we did the honorable thing and let you by.

Glad it made the owners day.

Yes........... I did figure the Viper would be the correct weapon to bring to the Santa Barbara/King Harbor gun fight. I found a Viper to do the race but I decided to hang out with my three girls instead. Pete......looks like we missed a good race in a fun boat.

Right on Breaker!

I'm stoked that out of the 10 SBYC boats, three of them finished top ten overall; Bandit 5th, Sluggo 6th and Groove 10th. Pretty amazing that Sluggo has been sitting in a back yard for the last year. They had to clean out all the spyders before they splashed her!

Then we had two other boats first in class, Rush Street and Escapade and Taxi Dancer 2nd in PHRF A. Congratulations. B)

No! I love having the rest of the weekend free!

2. Did you like having it off of Fiesta weekend? (Less traffic, roadblocks etc and more hotel rooms available)

Yes! For the above reasons.

Yes........... I did figure the Viper would be the correct weapon to bring to the Santa Barbara/King Harbor gun fight. I found a Viper to do the race but I decided to hang out with my three girls instead. Pete......looks like we missed a good race in a fun boat.

It did not help on "Warrior" we were in the "Star Wars Bar Scene Class" with the Viper, Melges 24, Melges 30...oh brother.

Taking away the "Star Wars" boats we were Fourth overall on Corrected and would have won many other classes, Like the PHRF A or B boats where we belonged.

Kind of a Bummer that the RC had ULDB Sprit class. Hopefully that experiment will be done away with. It would probably be better to put all the "Trailer Boats under 4000lbs" in there own class. I even heard they were planing in 15 knots of wind!

Kenny, Viper? Another PHRF rule beater? Why? WWWWHHHHYYYYYY?

No! I love having the rest of the weekend free!

Yes! For the above reasons.

I agree.

Friday Start is nice so you can recover on Sunday.

Kernan beating Anarchy over the line is pretty fucking impressive. Max, seems like you're just trying to push the limit down off the 125; the Melges 24 rated at 54, which is 40 seconds a mile faster than almost anywhere else in the country, and it took third. You saying that's not fair?

It did not help on "Warrior" we were in the "Star Wars Bar Scene Class" with the Viper, Melges 24, Melges 30...oh brother.

Taking away the "Star Wars" boats we were Fourth overall on Corrected and would have won many other classes, Like the PHRF A or B boats where we belonged.

Kind of a Bummer that the RC had ULDB Sprit class. Hopefully that experiment will be done away with. It would probably be better to put all the "Trailer Boats under 4000lbs" in there own class. I even heard they were planing in 15 knots of wind!

Kenny, Viper? Another PHRF rule beater? Why? WWWWHHHHYYYYYY?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ONE DESIGN. Complaining about ratings and class breaks... what a new concept!

he didn't beat us over the line - we were like 10 seconds in front of him which really sucked after being a good bit in front all day long. i dig kernan and i know he's a good sailor, but anarchy was faster. i'm sure we won the race to the island, down the backside and halfway home. then that fucking viper came from at least 5 minutes behind us and just sailed up to and away from us like we were tied to the post. i can't stand phrf and it is exactly because of things like the viper. it rated 39 for downwind and i would estimate that it was sailing to a -12. seriously. ask anyone in our class - and almost all of them superbly sailed - just how fast that thing was. blowing about 14 true - straight forward boat speed it just sailed away. admittedly we blew it a bit at the end, but it beat us by 30 minutes on elapsed time. with that rating, it's not even close.

the rest of us all seemed about right rating wise. and the melges 24 downwind rating of 54 might seem stiff mr. clean, but as you know the things are very quick when well sailed and this one clearly was.

this is a great event and we'll be there again next year, but they have some work to do in terms of class breakdowns - why were we not racing against mumm 30's? - and one obvious. glaring rating inequality needs to be addressed.

The Sprit class is probably here to stay, just like Ensenada. (Otherwise that turbo Hobie would be racing with the Melges and the like.) Most of the boats like the ULDB split, which has been in effect for three or four years now. Moves the furniture boats apart from the lightweights.

And Warrior would never be in a PHRF class with its performance factor. They would have been in ULDB if they switched to symmetric chutes.

I don't see us going the Ensenada route of putting all symmetric boats together, either. We did do that once and there were a lot of unhappy people. Unlike Ensenada, we don't have enough boats to keep the rating bands narrow enough. Ensenada publishes their class breaks with the NOR and trusts there will be enough boats. We have to wait until the entires are mostly in and set up the breaks as best we can.

Max, sounds like we finished about the time you turned off the light to go to sleep. But then we had to celebrate and stayed up later...

The Sprit class is probably here to stay, just like Ensenada. (Otherwise that turbo Hobie would be racing with the Melges and the like.) Most of the boats like the ULDB split, which has been in effect for three or four years now. Moves the furniture boats apart from the lightweights.

And Warrior would never be in a PHRF class with its performance factor. They would have been in ULDB if they switched to symmetric chutes.

I don't see us going the Ensenada route of putting all symmetric boats together, either. We did do that once and there were a lot of unhappy people. Unlike Ensenada, we don't have enough boats to keep the rating bands narrow enough. Ensenada publishes their class breaks with the NOR and trusts there will be enough boats. We have to wait until the entires are mostly in and set up the breaks as best we can.

Max, sounds like we finished about the time you turned off the light to go to sleep. But then we had to celebrate and stayed up later...

the turbo hobie should be racing with us! and so should the mumm 30's. they are similar size and performance and on anarchy, we'd love to have those guys in with us. splitting up these classes like this gets to be a bit ridiculous. btw, doesn't magnitude have a sprit?? so why weren't they in our class? magnitude in the same class with a melges 24......see how dumb this gets?

Condor,

Putting the J 125 in a class with a Melges 24 and a Viper and a Melges 32? And making the class ONLY 8 boats? WTF? None of those boats have inboard engines, are easily trailerable etc...

Why not just break it up on rating bands? The J125 has furniture. At least as much as a J-29. Trying to fret out good downwind boats should be done with ratings not classes. Clearly ASO boats are not much different than symetrical boats. Shit even a Beneteau 40 would be considered a ULDB compared to a Cal 40.

ULDB does not mean very much nowadays. Neither does ASO. Especially since all Symmetrical boats are able to fly ASO's with NO penalty. Bigger classes, not smaller screwed up classes.

Kernan beating Anarchy over the line is pretty fucking impressive. Max, seems like you're just trying to push the limit down off the 125; the Melges 24 rated at 54, which is 40 seconds a mile faster than almost anywhere else in the country, and it took third. You saying that's not fair?

Yes.

The rest of the country....well decided to live there so what do they know:-)

The Melges was sailed VERY well, so was Anarchy the FT 10. Thorpe said the Viper sailed from clear astern 10 minutes to 10 minutes ahead sailing a straight line on a run. That is impresive speed.

BTW Dave Ullman once told me in mixed company that NOTHING is faster than a Melges 24 in 20+. NOTHING.

post-692-1249272873_thumb.jpg

post-692-1249272896_thumb.jpg

post-692-1249272951_thumb.jpg

the rest of us all seemed about right rating wise. and the melges 24 downwind rating of 54 might seem stiff mr. clean, but as you know the things are very quick when well sailed and this one clearly was.

Sorry about that, misread the finish times. But still, you'd have to agree that in 9 out of 10 races it'd be better to be on the Tiger, especially with a proper offshore sail inventory. That being said, I'd love to do this race on a Viper 640 or Open 5.7 with a masthead kite. Call-out to the twenties crusaders: Talk to organizers and get this one on the calendar. One thing missing from the little sporties is a real distance race. Does it ever nuke on this one?

Sorry about that, misread the finish times. But still, you'd have to agree that in 9 out of 10 races it'd be better to be on the Tiger, especially with a proper offshore sail inventory. That being said, I'd love to do this race on a Viper 640 or Open 5.7 with a masthead kite. Call-out to the twenties crusaders: Talk to organizers and get this one on the calendar. One thing missing from the little sporties is a real distance race. Does it ever nuke on this one?

It can nuke and does from time to time.

I agree, those would be good rides. My thought is instead of trying to label them "Sprit ULDB" why not call them what they really are......"Day Boats that weigh less than 3000lbs, stored on a trailer with NO interiors" Boats. AND MAKE IT A CLASS.

Viper

Melges 24

Melges 30

FT 10 (maybe)

Open 570

etc....

totally. the ft is quick and a very good all around downwind boat. and no one would argue that our rating is harsh. yes - it nukes and last year kenny k won it on dr. laura's ft.

he didn't beat us over the line - we were like 10 seconds in front of him which really sucked after being a good bit in front all day long. i dig kernan and i know he's a good sailor, but anarchy was faster. i'm sure we won the race to the island, down the backside and halfway home. then that fucking viper came from at least 5 minutes behind us and just sailed up to and away from us like we were tied to the post. i can't stand phrf and it is exactly because of things like the viper. it rated 39 for downwind and i would estimate that it was sailing to a -12. seriously. ask anyone in our class - and almost all of them superbly sailed - just how fast that thing was. blowing about 14 true - straight forward boat speed it just sailed away. admittedly we blew it a bit at the end, but it beat us by 30 minutes on elapsed time. with that rating, it's not even close.

this is a great event and we'll be there again next year, but they have some work to do in terms of class breakdowns - why were we not racing against mumm 30's? - and one obvious. glaring rating inequality needs to be addressed.

Looking at the finish times, the Columbia 30 finished at 22:12:04. The FT 10 at 22:12:41. Maybe RC effed up the finish times?

Want some cheese to go with that scot,

I agree, those would be good rides. My thought is instead of trying to label them "Sprit ULDB" why not call them what they really are......"Day Boats that weigh less than 3000lbs, stored on a trailer with NO interiors" Boats. AND MAKE IT A CLASS.

Viper

Melges 24

Melges 30

FT 10 (maybe)

Open 570

etc....

The FT at 3000 lbs!!! Now that's funny! Neither is the M32, though it's a bit closer. I'd think from a power to weight standpoint, the J/125 would fit right in with boats like a Tiger and Melges. Am I wrong?

Viper

Melges 24

Melges 30

FT 10 (maybe)

Open 570

etc....

The FT at 3000 lbs!!! Now that's funny! Neither is the M32, though it's a bit closer. I'd think from a power to weight standpoint, the J/125 would fit right in with boats like a Tiger and Melges. Am I wrong?

Power to weight probably Clean. I think Rienrag has shown that the 125 is THE horse in 20 plus when racing against Larger boats. But this race was typical coastal event with 12-16 for the most part and that is the conditions we are comparing. I think if this race was 20-24, which it rarely/never is, this class of freaks (Sprit ULDB) would have won by hours, instead of just one.

My main point is the RC chairs on both Ensenada and SB-KH try to organise classes with broad sweeps such as "Sprit" and "ULDB" and this year the worst of all scenarios emerged, "Sprit ULDB" and a boat like a J 125 gets lumped into this class. The J 125 had and was in, an all day boat on boat race with SC 50's and that is where that type belongs, just like in Transpac and Cabo. Coastal race organisers lack the ability to put Planing boats into their respective classes when they use "Sprit" and ULDB".

My .02 is that races should just be broken down to rating bands and "ULDB" and we should rid the category of "Sprit" classes.

Or use a boat called Mad Max

Next year for sure. The best races are the boat on boat races and had I known Sluggo was going, I would have been there for sure.

We had our hands full all day with the SD based J125 Derivative. We passed each other twice on the way over to Anacapa.

Sure was nice being on a boat that finishes before 930 pm though!

This picture of them is how close we were ALL day!

post-692-1249314827_thumb.jpg

post-692-1249314833_thumb.jpg

as soon as you show me where i'm wrong, let me know. otherwise fuck off.

Who cares... it's PHRF for gawds sake. get over yourself. You don't see kernan on here crying

i'm not crying, dickhead. go ask tim what he thinks of the viper rating....