Santa Barbara Sailing

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Awesome sailor and a great guy. Eric....good luck on your recovery if you are reading this. Hey Longy................how are you doing? Haven't seen you in ages.   KK

I was sad to hear that local boy/sailing Pro Eric Arndt had a big heart attack last month at Key West. Had the full on surgery and stints. The good news is that he is feeling great and recovering well

Yeah, it is basically non-race boats that want to race, big, heavy, under canvased and usually poorly sailed and a danger to others. But it's hard to condemn anyone who loves being on the water even i

Posted Images

Attention race fans!! The Farr is back in SB and ready to rock! So watch OUT! (I mean not watch out we'll crash into you, watch out, it's going to be fun)

except, uh, for the small matter of being in need of, uh, foredeck........anyone? anyone?

Max,

Great shots, of course all of the best are by our local girlfriend Sharon Green.

Railchick,

Yeah, happy to be back on the boat in local waters. Yippee. You know I don't do foredeck,

you're doing mast right? So we have 20 hours to find bow dude/gal? Yikes. Mike M had hand surgery yesterday so you are definitely doing mast "Jumpin' Jill". I'll drive and the RO can do foredeck.

Deal or no...........

Railchick,

What the hell is your avatar anyway? Looks like a bellydancer that I dreamed of when I was on Shrooms a long time ago. Enlighten me, please.

post-1224-1181705311.gif

Max,

Great shots, of course all of the best are by our local girlfriend Sharon Green.

Railchick,

Yeah, happy to be back on the boat in local waters. Yippee. You know I don't do foredeck,

you're doing mast right? So we have 20 hours to find bow dude/gal? Yikes. Mike M had hand surgery yesterday so you are definitely doing mast "Jumpin' Jill". I'll drive and the RO can do foredeck.

Deal or no...........

Talk to da man on that one....pretty sure he's not gonna do foredeck! and Jill don't jump like she used to with the new kite. :o

closest I get to bow now is BOW...boat owners wife.

Attention race fans!! The Farr is back in SB and ready to rock! So watch OUT! (I mean not watch out we'll crash into you, watch out, it's going to be fun)

except, uh, for the small matter of being in need of, uh, foredeck........anyone? anyone?

i already planned on being there to practice for long beach

i already planned on being there to practice for long beach

Bowclown,

hmmm, trying to figure out who you are. Were you the guy that we diss'd for the dorag hairnet that we also called "gay"?

Trust me on SA you are better off being called gay (nothing wrong with that), than DoRag, the most unhappy psycho on the planet. Hang in there Newbie, PM me when you get up to 10 posts and we will celebrate. Wait...did you find a clown avatar yet? Are the sheets under the pole? Better check again.

Bowclown,

hmmm, trying to figure out who you are. Were you the guy that we diss'd for the dorag hairnet?

That we also called "gay". Trust me on SA you are better off being called gay (nothing wrong with that), than DoRag, the most unhappy psycho on the planet. Hang in there Newbie, PM me when you get up to 10 posts and we will celebrate. Wait...did you find a clown avatar yet? Are the sheets under the pole? Better check again.

post-19413-1181708664.jpg

Oh Stop Railchick,

I know you are trying to get over being a Newbie so you won't get shat on. Unfortunately I can't think of anything bad to say about you.

I know that the Melon Heads are doing a one design race out of town this weekend. I don't think it is Mallory Cup and its not the Balboa Challenge, so what is it and who is the crew?

Post note to Clown Ass Hat Bow: you seem to be having an identity melt down. I have seen 3 different avatars, plus one name change in 24 hours. Are you OK?

post-1224-1181876747.gif

Well since I am in the mood to initiate a Newbie,

and I am done with Ass Hat Bow Guy, and can't find anything to bitch about RailChick except for her inane posts, I would like to approach dox2. At first I thought you were some kind of doctor, but Jeez we've got enough fake doctors in this town. So I think I figured out who you are.

On a secret mission today, searching for special trophies for the Saturday Women's Regatta, I cruised by your place of employment. Much to my disgust there was a sign on the door that said ( and I quote)

"Humans swallow one quart of snot every day". WTF. I lost my lunch. This is OUTRAGEOUS. I am befuddled and I think you should be banned from SA immediately.

out with her! at least I'm only inane...

OMG! I like it here so much I am SO deleting my MySpace account!

Holy Crap,

Are you insinuating that Bow Clown is a girl?

Ex-Marines don't take kindly to that sort of statement.

So here's what you can do...no clicky on the Santa

Barbara Sailing..and I won't tell him where you live.

Go in peace.

Holy Crap,

Are you insinuating that Bow Clown is a girl?

Ex-Marines don't take kindly to that sort of statement.

So here's what you can do...no clicky on the Santa

Barbara Sailing..and I won't tell him where you live.

Go in peace.

post-19413-1181915995_thumb.jpg

and go quickly.....

I'm not too worried... She does make you sound like a chick though. If she's gonna post about sailing fine, but stalking someone and posting the crap here is a waste of time.

I like seeing what Max is up to, so maybe you can put up a note when it's back to sailing.

Melons are sailing Prince Of Whales match race (elims?) in martin 242s.

Windy,

Thanks for your help here. They are doing the Prince of Wales eliminator/qualifier (I think Prince of WHALES was a Disney sequel to Finding Nemo).

It is a US Sailing Match Race deal for Areas GHJL which is much of the Western States happening this weekend at King Harbor Yacht Club.

Go getum Melonheads!

post-1224-1181933564.jpg

What's the story with the women's regatta this weekend? Haven't heard much about it this year and it sounds like some of the big boats aren't doing it.

Skian Dhu was generously offered, especially after the last time a Grange had the helm! Alas, we are out of town. I think the B.O.W. should take it. :D

or you could just send him a PM and STFU about what everyone else has to say.....

:o

Better yet I can put a block on clownyasshat et all and not have to watch you and the rest of the wannabees strive to become someone that anyone would give a shit about.

If you come to LBRW be sure to wear the giant L on your ass clown hat so we can all see you in action.

BTW the guy's name is Scot ya newbe

Better yet I can put a block on clownyasshat et all and not have to watch you and the rest of the wannabees strive to become someone that anyone would give a shit about.

If you come to LBRW be sure to wear the giant L on your ass clown hat so we can all see you in action.

BTW the guy's name is Scot ya newbe

ouch, you defintely got me on that one. I was hoping by posting here I would become someone anyone would give a shit about and to inject some meaning into my pathetic life. :(

maybe LBRW will do it, I'll just keep hope alive for one more week.

Great day of sailing in SB..had a little women's match race going on (almost the ratings were 3 seconds apart). The j/92 with skippers Janice, Kathleen and Raegan (3 races, they took turns at the helm) barely lost to Lauren. Blues Crews won the first race, Mar Caballo the second race and in the third race they were overlapped at the downwind finish. Sun came out as did the wind, everyone had fun.

Looks like we have a good repesentation for LBRW: J/105's Free Enterprise, Rock n'Roll and Escapade, the Farr 40 Skian Dhu, The J/145 The Doc, J/29 Rush Street, Melges 24 Bandit. So where will party central be?

Better yet I can put a block on clownyasshat et all and not have to watch you and the rest of the wannabees strive to become someone that anyone would give a shit about

Sorry to see this juvenile on the thread again. With a name like 069u812 what more would one expect? Please do put a block on us. We're having fun and you are not.

oops, spilage on Aisle 4. Please wear a hazmat suit. Looks like ou812 barfed on himself again.

Sorry to see this juvenile on the thread again. With a name like 069u812 what more would one expect? Please do put a block on us. We're having fun and you are not.

oops, spilage on Aisle 4. Please wear a hazmat suit. Looks like ou812 barfed on himself again.

OOPS wrong again janer... I'm having lots of fun! - Also, I'm guessing you don't like my handle because your bitter, cant get any downtown action eh?

OOPS wrong again janer... I'm having lots of fun! - Also, I'm guessing you don't like my handle because your bitter, cant get any downtown action eh?

OK, all you just did was prove her assessment of your mental development was accurate. Juvenile.

Do you think you are impressing anyone by just serving up 7th grade level insults? (Sorry, didn't mean to insult anyone's seventh grader.)

Most of these people are just trying to find a place to enjoy the sport and share with each other. Why does that merit the insults?

Grow up or just go read somewhere else if you don't like what you find on this thread.

So where will party central be?

Joe Josts for sure Friday! Oldest bar in Long Beach. http://www.joejosts.com/

2803 East Anaheim Street between Cherry and Redondo streets on Anaheim.

Ice cold one's (31 degrees and schooners), Jalapeno Hard bolied Eggs, Polish Sausage samy's and Pool table's, full size.

Sat night at Reno Room. 3400 East Broadway, at Broadway and Redondo streets. 2 blocks in from Ocean on Redondo.

Excellent Bar with pool table's and great cheap Mexican food.

M 24 Thumpit's crew of Max, Grant, Mike Wolfe and JD will be there for sure.

PS This picture is Mr. Ullman and crew. Hopefully we will be this close to their transom.

post-692-1182109847_thumb.jpg

Join Janer in the hotel bar of the Pink Palace. Wear matching crew uniforms.

Bobbo

Bobbo,

I think we will go with the Mad Max suggestions. See you on the race course. Give us a report on the Pink Palace. Used to be the great yacht racers hotel, but has gone sooo down hill. They haven't cleaned the carpets since sailors started staying there. Your feet actually stick to the beer and margarita soaked carpets left over from 10 years of Golison Race Week parties. Don't walk in your bare feet please. The showers are not hot enough to get rid of the ...ugh, whatever.

Hello -

Newbie 'chew' here so I expect the BS yet look forward to the real schwag to my question.

Doing Coastal Cup and the race has three sections, two are straight forward and only a blind man would miss the routing.

But the thrid part is a bit odd and that is from Pt. Conception to the finish.

I'll ask this 'Madmax' chap as you seem to be a pilot, winner of a drifter and a honest criket. Also 'Janer' has some opioin's and seem's to know the SB area.

The question is: How to enter the SB finish line at various times of the day.

-If your at Pt. Con. @ 6am would the best routing be to stay offshore and catch the building shore breeze? Make a left hand turn at the oli rigs and reach in? Or dice it and DR it to the finish, play Cojo, Gavioto pass and kelp?

-If your at Pt. Con. at noon I would think you could cut the corner a bit and if speed's hold you could finish w/ the last of the 'Harbor Suck' that Brophy's induces?

-If your at Pt. Con. at 6pm, stay in the breeze you have and work South until the 'Eddy' hits you then put the windseeker up and watch your flight take off from SBA.

I'd love to hear from any and all.

Go Wide Little Grasshopper.

Your summary is genrally spot on, except in SB, without fail, it changes from day to day.

Unless it is foggy and steady south westerly, stay away from the coast area 4-20 miles west of SB Harbor (Kelp, No real Breeze, Transition area's)

This picture is very typical and actually was 2 years ago the day we started Transpac.

Look at SB closely, for there are answers there...........little grasshopper.

The track/windband from Arguello point shows the way to SB. Half Circle Route.

Or do the easy thing and follow Robert Plant on his Hobie 33 "Still Crazy"

post-692-1182151523_thumb.png

Back to the topic,

The Pink Palace Rocks. Literally.

I was there during a Earthquake, no it was not caused by Janes room noises, a real-deal Earthquake.

Ice cold one's (31 degrees and schooners), Jalapeno Hard bolied Eggs, Polish Sausage samy's and Pool table's, full size.

Sat night at Reno Room. 3400 East Broadway, at Broadway and Redondo streets. 2 blocks in from Ocean on Redondo.

PS This picture is Mr. Ullman and crew. Hopefully we will be this close to their transom.

I've never been to the Reno Room but I can attest to the fact that Joe Josts is one FINE, old time bar. Looking forward to seeing all you guys there. I'm coming down for LBRW to sail with a buddy of mine from San Diego.

Too bad only 2 boats showed up for Saturday's Shalhoob Women's Regatta. It turned out to be a PERFECT day of sailing!!! We're still pretty rough around the edges (& corners) on the 92 but kudos go out to Lauren and the Mar Caballo crew for a well earned win. That finish on the 3rd race was about as much fun as you can have without winning!!!

As to fellow newbie 'Isail4ever', I would agree with Max that going down the beach from Conception to SB is usually NOT the preferred route, HOWEVER, we pulled that move off 2 years ago on Mar Caballo and collected 1st overall for our efforts. It just gets really tough dodging the kelp beds when it gets dark. Good luck! I think the Coastal Cup is one of the better races on the West Coast.

LunerK9

Jeez,

I think it's too early in the day for popcorn and beer...but I'll go warm up the

microwave just in case.

post-1224-1181842640.gif

Hey Janer - not sure what the to do is about the last few posts and the good Dr. L

Apparently they had a bad regatta with the 145 and now the scuttlebut is a new cheater boat might be required?

Ouch!! Can you provice a little more detail for us folks not hanging around the club all the time?

Thanks,

Curious but in the dark...

Hmmm, I may be in the dark too, but my initial answer would be Nope.

No bad regattas, no new boat, inevitable rating change. Hope to "team" up

with them for the Ullman team trophy this weekend. Need to work on that.

post-1224-1182189101.gif

Need to set the teams for the team trophy. What do you all think should be teams?

SBYC boats:

Rock N Roll (altho listed as DPYC in entries)

Escapade (altho listed as LBYC)

Short Skirt

The Doc

Skinny Do

Rush Street

Thumper

Lounge Act (registered, but Loren sounded doubtful)

condor,

for the melges 24's - lounge act is not going and thumper is racing a hybrid on bandit (we're calling her "thumpit") with max on helm, but officially registered as bandit, usa 524. Please note: Skinny Do should be called by her real name "scooby doo"...!

should be a good time for all hostin at joe josts!

thump

Hello -

Newbie 'chew' here so I expect the BS yet look forward to the real schwag to my question.

Doing Coastal Cup and the race has three sections, two are straight forward and only a blind man would miss the routing.

But the thrid part is a bit odd and that is from Pt. Conception to the finish.

I'll ask this 'Madmax' chap as you seem to be a pilot, winner of a drifter and a honest criket. Also 'Janer' has some opioin's and seem's to know the SB area.

The question is: How to enter the SB finish line at various times of the day.

-If your at Pt. Con. at 6pm, stay in the breeze you have and work South until the 'Eddy' hits you then put the windseeker up and watch your flight take off from SBA.

I'd love to hear from any and all.

Chew,

I think you have gotten all the good advice from Mr. Mad Max & MoonDoggie. Just be sure not to hit the beach in the last mile. There is a kelp island so big that you could step off the boat and walk to Brophy's. Sorry that most of us rowdys will be sailing in Long Beach and not at your finish in SB. Hope you will enjoy the hospitality at SBYC. What boat are you on?

Good luck!

Hmmm, I may be in the dark too, but my initial answer would be Nope.

No bad regattas, no new boat, inevitable rating change. Hope to "team" up

with them for the Ullman team trophy this weekend. Need to work on that.

post-1224-1182189101.gif

Hey do you want me to talk to Kenny or the Doc about teaming up w\them for the Ullman Trophy?

Need to set the teams for the team trophy. What do you all think should be teams?

SBYC boats:

Rock N Roll (altho listed as DPYC in entries)

Escapade (altho listed as LBYC)

Short Skirt

The Doc

Skinny Do

Rush Street

Thumper

Lounge Act (registered, but Loren sounded doubtful)

So My money would be on

Thumpit (aka Bandit)

Skian Dhu

The Doc

Rush Street

and Free Ent or any of the other 105's

I like the souond of these places. I will be in town Thurs night, anyone else ?

I like the souond of these places. I will be in town Thurs night, anyone else ?

Photo Opp - Please don't drink all the beer before we get there,OK??? :( Sounds like we all should have lined up the SB airbus for the ride down!

-LunerK9

Max,

Thanks for organizing party central. According to my calculations, Joe Josts is 4 miles from the LBYC and only 8 blocks from the hotel. Crawling distance. This is a good sign. Party on..oh and sailing too!

post-1224-1182314004.gif

Jane,

YOU DO NOT WANT TO CRAWL IN THIS HOOD IN LONG BEACH. Unless you are armed. It makes Milpas look like Disneyland.

Drive or Taxi.

Joe Jost's is in a rough area, which makes it a true diamond in the rough.

Jane,

YOU DO NOT WANT TO CRAWL IN THIS HOOD IN LONG BEACH. Unless you are armed. It makes Milpas look like Disneyland.

Drive or Taxi.

Joe Jost's is in a rough area, which makes it a true diamond in the rough.

Why we call Long Beach the Wrong Beach

Wow, another great night of Wet Weds sailing with about 12 knots up and down for the night. Stoked to beat Taxi Dancer, and Mr. Max driving a J/105 lost by 30 seconds to the Fine Young Cannibals (Free Enterprise) in their class. I was happy, but happier to meet Lin and Larry Pardee on the docks. Infamous sailors and authors of many sailing books, they were so low key and genuine nice folks, dropping in on their way down from Canada. Lin showed me pics of her new boat, a gift from the husband for her 60th birthday. And it is a bitchen gaft rig thing that, according to the pics seems to haul ass (docked in New Zealand). Ya, so another chapter in the SB scene. Now on to good times at Long Beach Race Week.

Max, thanks for the heads up on the LB hood. I won't be walking there without my boys. Although are the hood boys tougher than the Skian Dhu crew? Well we don't really carry any weapons, except for the little knife thingy on our shirts, and we have Grange as our body guard so I am not worried?

Max, thanks for the heads up on the LB hood. I won't be walking there without my boys. Although are the hood boys tougher than the Skian Dhu crew? Well we don't really carry any weapons, except for the little knife thingy on our shirts, and we have Grange as our body guard so I am not worried?

Just remember that Longshoreman, The guys who unload ships, are very tough-rough-fun bunch.

No wisecracks about Tat's and no Fu Fu "'Cosmo" drinks and things should be just fine.

Pete, Hang on second with all the rest of the G*ys.

Long Beach Race Week!!! We survived it all..Joe Josts, the Comfort Inn, fancy dinners, late night fast food, Tecates, rum, and three days of fun sailing.

The best part for the Skian Dhu crew was winning the Farr 40 Class and being part of the winning Yacht Club team trophy with team members Free Enterprise and The Doc.

Lots of pictures and stories to share..gotta go to work now.

Team thumpit checking in...

Had a great time on the Melges 24. Max pulled off some terrific starts in our eight boat fleet and Mike's boat "Bandit" had great upwind speed. We often found ourselves rounding the first windward mark in second behind Dave Ullman and occasionally on the second lap as well. As the rookie boat on the course the talent on the top four boats ground us down by the finish, but for five of the seven races we were in the hunt up to the finish. Great racing and a great crew work with newbie J.D., boat owner Mike, myself and our skipper MadMax, thanks!

For those of you who haven't had the joy of full hike mode on the Melges 24, I have just one word "manpon".

Here's a pic from the last race and the realization of our one main goal for the regatta, to be in front of Ullman - notice the tail of "Pegasus" on the second spinnaker back.

thump

post-15064-1182793284_thumb.jpg

Long Beach Race Week!!! We survived it all..Joe Josts, the Comfort Inn, fancy dinners, late night fast food, Tecates, rum, and three days of fun sailing.

The best part for the Skian Dhu crew was winning the Farr 40 Class and being part of the winning Yacht Club team trophy with team members Free Enterprise and The Doc.

Lots of pictures and stories to share..gotta go to work now.

Janer, Grantski, Rail Chick.....& the whole SB crew - WOW, was that a KILLER weekend, or what??? Don't know if you guys heard about the deadly Tiger piss they were serving up on the Flying Tiger end tie on Sat. afternoon. I'd sure like to get the recipe for that concoction!!! Anyway, 'twas a fun time had by all and a mighty fine showing by little 'ol SB for the team title. Way to go, guys!!!!!

-Lunerk9

Moondoggie,

It was a great idea to raft each one design class separately. Being tied up with the other Farr 40's

made it easy for us to all get to know each other, especially since we are the new pups on the porch. We also had a great party Friday night at ABYC just for the Farr 40's, tons of food and open bar. Jeez, you can't beat that!

post-1224-1182809452.gif

LBRW 2007, Fun stuff. Great time had by all I bet.

Wish the breeze was more like the last race, which is typical LB, but there is always next year.

For those of you who missed it, you missed it. Generally light sailing with nice ocillations.

The Doc gave a swim lesson for 250 people and proverbially kicked some booty.

The Ginsu Knifers sliced some major ass.

Free Enterprise, was very consistently in safe positions, due to their numerous safety meetings.

Bandit, tried to show some butt, but instead received a whooping.

Fun weekend.

My favorite Rabbit Ears.

post-692-1182813793_thumb.jpg