dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

As of today

• 6 x Div 1
  • 10 x Div 2 (where the real compition seems to be)
  • 12 x Div 3
  • And a whole lot cruising

Meanwhile, who's up for the Lipton Cup out of Royals next weekend? AMS & IRC State Titles on the line. Who's hot or who's not??

Cinquante is trekking up from G'town

70 (ish) boats competed today off RBYC - fixed marks course - start 10:30

Interested to hear good and bad - especially reports on catering - Should we bring in the Lions Club!!

OCS:

I must admit being a bit bewildered by all this negativity.

Fact is the regatta has been incredibly successful over the past few years since the inclusion of a major sponsor. Now that the GFC has struck and sponsors for this type of event are very hard to come by its looks likely that things will have to change?

So you have two choices, maintain the regatta in its current successful format with some trimmings by looking at other ways to get the finance required or wind back to barebones.

I would have thought with the infrastructure in place , it would make sense to try the former and if in line with the dozen or so dissenters on this forum the other thousands of attendees chose to stay away. Then change needs to occur, but lets wait or see.

Are you fucking for real? "Successful"? "Successful" for who? Maybe RGYC's balance sheet, but not for the sailing fraternity. We watched and warned as you turned what was in effect a gathering of the sailing fraternity - with the emphasis on fraternity into a corporate masturbation session. We watched you run up a massive fixed cost burden as you went corporate. Then we watched you alienate the average yachtsman by creating Two classes of sailor: "The Grand Prix competitor" and the rest of us - the great unwashed. You then proceeded to fete the former and ignore the latter.

So now the great unwashed, who, by the way, paid the bulk of the entry fees in the past, are expected to pay for more of the same treatment? Think again.

OCS:

yawn, same broken record. Year after year. One of the worlds larger regattas in entries and attendees. I would say kinda successful and supported by the "sailing fraternity".

I must admit being a bit bewildered by all this negativity.

Fact is the regatta has been incredibly successful over the past few years since the inclusion of a major sponsor. Now that the GFC has struck and sponsors for this type of event are very hard to come by its looks likely that things will have to change?

So you have two choices, maintain the regatta in its current successful format with some trimmings by looking at other ways to get the finance required or wind back to barebones.

I would have thought with the infrastructure in place , it would make sense to try the former and if in line with the dozen or so dissenters on this forum the other thousands of attendees chose to stay away. Then change needs to occur, but lets wait or see.

Are you fucking for real? "Successful"? "Successful" for who? Maybe RGYC's balance sheet, but not for the sailing fraternity. We watched and warned as you turned what was in effect a gathering of the sailing fraternity - with the emphasis on fraternity into a corporate masturbation session. We watched you run up a massive fixed cost burden as you went corporate. Then we watched you alienate the average yachtsman by creating Two classes of sailor: "The Grand Prix competitor" and the rest of us - the great unwashed. You then proceeded to fete the former and ignore the latter.

So now the great unwashed, who, by the way, paid the bulk of the entry fees in the past, are expected to pay for more of the same treatment? Think again.

OCS:

yawn, same broken record. Year after year. One of the worlds larger regattas in entries and attendees. I would say kinda successful and supported by the "sailing fraternity".

You are full of it.

If you go back to the 1970's the event drew over a thousand entries every year. Virtually every yacht in Port Phillip converged on Geelong. Not any more. (translation - you are losing market share.)

The rot had well and truly set in when RGYC offered a raffle prize of entry of an "ordinary" crew into the corporate tent in the days when Skandia was sponsor.

You will find out the hard way next year. Your corporate sponsorship / Grand Pricks model started falling apart in 2008 with the GFC.

I'm all for holding a "Not Geelong" regatta at the same time. Maybe a race/cruise to Queenscliff and we ceremonially raise the finger in your direction as we pass Prince George Bank.

70 (ish) boats competed today off RBYC - fixed marks course - start 10:30

Interested to hear good and bad - especially reports on catering - Should we bring in the Lions Club!!

The good, beautiful sailing conditions (you could not have asked for better) and a long course whilst being ok had a little too much fetching for my liking but guess it gave those people that like that sort of thing a chance to have somthing rather than a windward leeward.

The bad, a bunch of ignorant Div 2 & 3 skippers that can't read the time and insist on being on the start line when the big boys are setting up, and the RC had problems taking accurate finishing times, which is still to be resolved.

Am concerned again at the imbalance of boats sailing in each division, 9 in Div 1, 35 in Div 2 & 16 in Div 3

No comment on the catering.

How times have changed; only one "Div 0" yacht started in the Peter Taylor Trophy race.

A lovely days sailing, and with the sea breeze kicking in at about 2 pm the "slower" boats benefited greatly.

As for the new AMS changes? there is at least one continuing standout beneficiary that I can see, but that boat cannot seem to decide which division they sail in.

As for Geelong, I agree with Walrus.

Rumour is the Cougar "has left the cage". Anyone know what's next for Alan?

It's still in the window of Sundance for sale ? Is it staying here or going interstate ?

Meanwhile, who's up for the Lipton Cup out of Royals next weekend? AMS & IRC State Titles on the line. Who's hot or who's not??

Cinquante is trekking up from G'town

Bully for them! :lol:

Rumour is the Cougar "has left the cage". Anyone know what's next for Alan?

It's still in the window of Sundance for sale ? Is it staying here or going interstate ?

Rumour I heard is Cougar is going to Tasmania!

If true, who or what is she going to play with down there?

For what it is worth: The rumor mill, down in Tasmania, is naming Tony "Doc" Lyle as the potential new owner of Cougar, with his own boat, Valheru, being traded in as part of the deal... (rumor is generall worthless, but I don't mind spreading it.... this is, after all, Sailing Anarchy).

For what it is worth: The rumor mill, down in Tasmania, is naming Tony "Doc" Lyle as the potential new owner of Cougar, with his own boat, Valheru, being traded in as part of the deal... (rumor is generall worthless, but I don't mind spreading it.... this is, after all, Sailing Anarchy).

Sad to see Insx badly damaged at SYC today when she backed out of her pen to sail in the Wednesday Wonders. It looked like she got stuck in reverse with the throttle full bore and she slammed into the end of Wickeds berth finger punching a sizable hole in Insxs transom.

Hope they can get her fixed soon.

Sad to see Insx badly damaged at SYC today when she backed out of her pen to sail in the Wednesday Wonders. It looked like she got stuck in reverse with the throttle full bore and she slammed into the end of Wickeds berth finger punching a sizable hole in Insxs transom.

I saw that happen too and wondered what was going on. Those guys are usually very good at handling their boat so something must have gone wrong with the engine controls. It was a sickening crunch when they hit the dock and as you can see (hoping I have the attach photo stuff sorted here!!) the damage was considerable but hopefully readily repairable.

As they say; "Just a flesh wound"

post-25217-066264100 1321476757_thumb.jpg

I saw that happen too and wondered what was going on. Those guys are usually very good at handling their boat so something must have gone wrong with the engine controls. It was a sickening crunch when they hit the dock and as you can see (hoping I have the attach photo stuff sorted here!!) the damage was considerable but hopefully readily repairable.

As they say; "Just a flesh wound"

post-25217-066264100 1321476757_thumb.jpg

They did all that in reverse? Holy shit, they must have been moving fast. Speedy repairs guys!

Heard there was a cable failure.

Having said that, I'm guilty of the "I'll go full forward and then full aft" berthing method when I shouldn't. Not that this boat was doing the same.

Duct tape for the weekend??????

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/yacht_details.asp?raceEntryID=12841 rolleyes.gif

Valheru now withdrawn as an entrant.

In Div A, Calm gave Dolly a bit of a touch up at the Lipton Cup; sailing much better with recent mods and personnel changes. A fair chunk of Cougar influence noted. The two Benny 45s, Ikon & Reverie had close racing all weekend. Uncle Col from Doyle turned up at the Preso in the worst pair of pants seen at a yacht club since those pale lemon coloured wonders worn by Kevin Wood a while back. Looked like he had just come from the golf but probably got chucked out of there for wearing visually offensive clothing. Shocking is hardly the word! Anyone got pics or didn't you want to risk your camera lens?

We made him put his wet gear over those pants, way too bright but Im thinking he thinks they are his lucky pants now.

Lucky you say? He might get lucky if he wore them down Oxford St in Sydney :lol: Anyway, well sailed, Revs.

We made him put his wet gear over those pants, way too bright but Im thinking he thinks they are his lucky pants now.

Does that mean we have to put up with these pants for the Range series! At least I do not race on the B45.

Results from the Lipton, TP52s still very competitive on IRC, B45's the best IRC rater around?

Most boats which don't race in the Hobart prefer AMS as this division appears to be the most popular across all the divisions, I certainly prefer AMS to IRC as it tends to have a spread of the types of boats compared to the IRC division which has all the same boats on the podium!

In Div A, Calm gave Dolly a bit of a touch up at the Lipton Cup; sailing much better with recent mods and personnel changes. A fair chunk of Cougar influence noted. The two Benny 45s, Ikon & Reverie had close racing all weekend. Uncle Col from Doyle turned up at the Preso in the worst pair of pants seen at a yacht club since those pale lemon coloured wonders worn by Kevin Wood a while back. Looked like he had just come from the golf but probably got chucked out of there for wearing visually offensive clothing. Shocking is hardly the word! Anyone got pics or didn't you want to risk your camera lens?

Saw that. Unbefuckinglievable Ando.

Behold, sartorial splendour :

post-25217-066586100 1321851054_thumb.jpg

Surprised Billie would let him out in public dressed like that. Robbie Doyle will probably pull the franchise when he sees these. Mind you, the Seppos frequently wear this sort of clobber so he might get away with them on that front.

Looked like some good racing over the Lipton Regatta - there was an Adams 10 that lost its mast in the last race on Damp Saturday. A real pity for the guys as they were only about a hundred or so metres from the finish line with what looked like a "surprise" gybe and down it all came. Pity because based on times it looked like they may have had that race in the bag.

That would have given the guys 3 bullets and a nice position to sit in at the end of what was a long,tiring and difficult day. The boat with its new rags (all round) was flying and going high and fast - the sails looked great - a total contrast to the pants the sailmaker was wearing at the presentation.

Col - time to buy a full length mirror and stop getting dressed in front of the shaving mirror.

Dr Tony from Hobart has definately bought Cougar and was even at SYC last weekend with his crew doing a training session with a few of Alans old crew.. New owner was seen with his cheshire cat expression.

Big step up from the purple pig. but his crew are not novices so we should see that boat continue at pointy end of the fleet. But they must be bloody confident taking on S2H as 1st race.

And we hear someone is looking about for a replacement ..so another fast Cougar may be at SYC middle of 2012. watching waiting

Could that mean a 3rd new generation TP in Aus? If so... SAAHWEEETTT

Dr Tony from Hobart has definately bought Cougar and was even at SYC last weekend with his crew doing a training session with a few of Alans old crew.. New owner was seen with his cheshire cat expression.

Big step up from the purple pig. but his crew are not novices so we should see that boat continue at pointy end of the fleet. But they must be bloody confident taking on S2H as 1st race.

And we hear someone is looking about for a replacement ..so another fast Cougar may be at SYC middle of 2012. watching waiting

Saw that. Unbefuckinglievable Ando.

Behold, sartorial splendour :

post-25217-066586100 1321851054_thumb.jpg

Surprised Billie would let him out in public dressed like that. Robbie Doyle will probably pull the franchise when he sees these. Mind you, the Seppos frequently wear this sort of clobber so he might get away with them on that front.

Just a victim of circuspants....:P

Yeah, fantastic news if it happens. And then he can race it in the virtually non-existent Div Zero.

WooHoo, bet he can't wait for that!!

Yeah, fantastic news if it happens. And then he can race it in the virtually non-existent Div Zero.

Let's face it, Div 0 is dead. Begs the question what's happened to all the boats?

Calm (only boat out racing regularly)

Terrafirma (in Sydney, hardly sailed, why?)

The Doll (hardly sails nowadays, why?)

Goldfinger (hardly sails nowadays, why?)

XLR8 (hardly sails nowadays, why?)

Shogun (Sydney based, hardly sailed, why?)

Cougar (sold, rumoured to be replaced, but will they get their crew back from Calm?)

What are Phil Coombs and Chris Dare up too? They seemed to have disappeared off the earth.

Let's face it, Div 0 is dead. Begs the question what's happened to all the boats?

Cougar (sold, rumoured to be replaced, but will they get their crew back from Calm?)

What are Phil Coombs and Chris Dare up too? They seemed to have disappeared off the earth.

They are expensive!! (at a time when most who could afford it are being cautious with their $) and they burn through the crew!

I think you're being a bit harsh re Goldfinger & XLR8 although I wouldn't classify them in same league (Grand Prix??!!) as the others.

If Cougar is replaced, I don't think they will have too many problems getting a crew together to sail a current generation TP52!

Terrafirma (in Sydney, hardly sailed, why?)Who cares?

The Doll (hardly sails nowadays, why?)D I V O R C E & active (multiple) Etchell sailor. Raced LD at Lipton Cup last week.

Goldfinger (hardly sails nowadays, why?)Just had a mast refit & had sailed regularly til that.Going offshore at Xmas

XLR8 (hardly sails nowadays, why?)Sails quite regularly in Range etc

Shogun (Sydney based, hardly sailed, why?)New Gen TP 52 on way but will race older one Sydney to Hobart

Cougar (sold, rumoured to be replaced, but will they get their crew back from Calm?)??? Is there ANY crew loyalty in the TP's anyway?

See Comments above.

Coombsy happy cruising in his Bendytoy 50, racing Etchells & getting kids sailing at Mornington

Darey disillusioned by the whole big boat IRC tail chase. Also enjoying Etchells and doing the Opti circuit with his kid.

They're all looking around for fibreglass or wooden replacements, as Carbon will become too expensive to buy/own under the new carbon tax.

The Doll (hardly sails nowadays, why?)D I V O R C E & active (multiple) Etchell sailor. Raced LD at Lipton Cup last week.

Goldfinger (hardly sails nowadays, why?)Just had a mast refit & had sailed regularly til that.Going offshore at Xmas

Shogun (Sydney based, hardly sailed, why?)New Gen TP 52 on way but will race older one Sydney to Hobart

Cougar (sold, rumoured to be replaced, but will they get their crew back from Calm?)??? Is there ANY crew loyalty in the TP's anyway?

See Comments above.

Coombsy happy cruising in his Bendytoy 50, racing Etchells & getting kids sailing at Mornington

Darey disillusioned by the whole big boat IRC tail chase. Also enjoying Etchells and doing the Opti circuit with his kid.

Wasn't there some bar talk a while back about CD getting one of those new Ker40's ?

for what it is worth, the guys from Cougar have a great owner, similar to Valheru. We may one day be on the same circuit. But for now happy sailing. I reckon Allan will still have the same crew, as does Tony.

For what its worth I heard the doll was on the hard and was part of a settlement

LD was racing last weekend in RYCVs Lipton Cup.

Is anyone else watching world stock and bond markets, as well as the Australian dollar, going off the edge of a cliff?

That might have something to do with it.

Div 0 is a complete waste of race management time, why don't Yachting Victoria just increase the cut off point for Div1 to keep the fleet sizes equal. This will take the issue out of who is turning up in the Div 0 fleet, also allows the few Div 0 boats who do turn up for racing have some one to sail against instead of one or two.

There are a couple of other div 0 boats who turn up, ie Veloce, Rush, Scarlet Runner and Cadi8!

Still trying to dry out from saturdays lipton cup races

RYCV seems to be silent on this one.

From the SYC website.

The 2011 Lipton Cup was sailed in true Port Philip conditions, from 10 knot North Easterly, through to 30 knot South Westerly on Saturday. Mix this with blinding rain that persisted all day, and you have conditions that test the best of us. Fortunately the weather improved on the Sunday however most of the fleet stayed on shore, as the previous day was enough.

Simon Grain and Lisa Simonov won the regatta with 4 straight wins, their boat Make My Jay, was quick, well sailed and when required picked shifts that pulled them up through the fleet to win yet another race.

There was another event that took place that day that made me feel;

1 glad that our crew competed (as we only decided to sail the previous day)

and

2 glad that I sailed such a great boat as a J24……..

In the third race the wind had turned to the South west and kicked in at recorded 30 knots. After a screaming downwind run with the spinnakers Simon and I rounded the bottom mark together, back on the wind, we sailed lower and both boats were about ten boat lengths apart on port tack with Simon slightly astern and to windward.

My crew alerted me that there was a boat from another division that was on starboard and hardly moving, we bore away and as we passed astern we could see that the boat was a mess with her headsail half furled and two crew occupied with something going on in the open cockpit. The boat's crew shouted "we have a man overboard", which sent a shock right through the whole of our crew, we replied "where", one pointed directly down wind. Through the blinding rain we could just see a tiny black shape about 200 meters away.

Jack on the bow tripped the jib, and kept his eyes firmly on the MOB, whilst Matt eased the vang and Michael readied the life ring, the MOB was waving his arm and as we approached we assured him and asked him to keep calm.

Our first pass was too quick and we felt that the wind was too strong to throw the life ring as it would never have made it. Our second pass, much slower allowed the MOB to swim to the windward side of the J where it took all three of my crew to get him on board.

Dominic was ash white, shaking and exhausted, we put him down in the cabin where Jack kept a eye on him. It was only then that I looked around to see that through the rain the only other boat I could see was the stricken yacht, no one else was in sight.

The stricken yacht had managed to bare away and was able to run down wind some distance away, we both headed to the nearest harbour at RYCV.

Dominic advised us that there was a injured crew on the other yacht and that the events that caused his injury had caused his fall from the boat.

I estimate that Dominic would have been in the water for a minimum of ten to fifteen minutes, we were concerned that he might be effected by shock so I got Jack to keep eye on his condition all the whole way home.

J24′s are great to sail in tight windy conditions, their low free board made getting Dominic on board much easier, and the speed in which we could do a second pass, took some of the panic out of the situation. Had we been in a much bigger boat, this MOB rescue would have been much harder and taken a lot longer, of that I am sure.

When we entered to harbour, the stricken yacht managed to get assistance from a rescue boat who rushed the injured crew to a waiting ambulance.

After we had docked we were met by the crew of the other yacht who thanked us and advised us that they could never have been able to pick up Dominic.

Lessons learnt were that a stricken yacht

1. should send off a flare.

2. should radio for assistance

3. should wave their arms to alert others.

In this case however, there were only two still able on board and one was preoccupied looking after the third injured crew. Sailing a four man keelboat in 30 knots single handed is extremely hard.

On reflection, my crew and I agreed that we had all had a rewarding and special day, as no one else knew Dominic was out there until we reported what had happened when we came ashore. We later learnt that the race was shortened due to the wind strength and reduced vision of 100 meters.

Special thanks to Jack Crawford, Matt Weston and Michael Lewenhagen, crew of Bruschetta VI.

Hugo.N.Ottaway.

Div 0 is a complete waste of race management time, why don't Yachting Victoria just increase the cut off point for Div1 to keep the fleet sizes equal. This will take the issue out of who is turning up in the Div 0 fleet, also allows the few Div 0 boats who do turn up for racing have some one to sail against instead of one or two.

There are a couple of other div 0 boats who turn up, ie Veloce, Rush, Scarlet Runner and Cadi8!

Great Idea, so we can all sit in their shit for the first 15 minutes of the race, and get stopped by having the larger and faster boats on the same line sit on top of you. All because they cant keep a fleet together.

You're going pretty fast if you're in their shit for 15 minutes.

What, 1, 2 or 3 52 footers are gunna spoil your day ? Get real. <_<

SYCFCC, well done. Add that one to the Four other bullets that were dodged over the weekend.

Please share.

Looks like a cracking entry list so far for the 'Festival of Sails'. :P

This is on the website followed by a long blank page.

ENTRY LIST

This page is currently still being built, however please continue to check back to see new exciting developments as they happen. If you have any ideas or suggestions for this website, please let us know by contacting us;

A full Entry List will be available for download once Entries Open on Wednesday 02/11/2011.

Unless the Entry Fee as detailed in the NOR for the Festival of Sails is Halved (at least) for all divisions, I see no reason to participate.

I agree, I am not going to drive 1000 kms, each way, have 5 nights accommodation and get ripped off $480 to enter- when the Hobart entry is $580

Most of our crew have been going to Geelong for the regatta that is on about the time of Australia Day (what ever they choose to call it) for many years and will this year.

With a sizable crew on the boat most choose to stay on shore. This year some of us will stay in the Sheraton at the very unreasonable rate of $260 per night per room.

After paying upfront I received a confirmation email letting me know they ' Looked forward to seeing us" What a suprise given their rates.

Looking at their site I found some other places we could stay at cheaper prices.

We could have stayed in Times Square NY at only $175 per night

We could have stayed in Brussels at only E140 per night

We could have stayed in Kuwait City at only $60 per night

BUT FUCK we choose Geelong at $260 per night

But for the company I would be anywhere but Geelong

It must be some fantastic place this Geelong its a more expensive race than the Syd to Hob and cost more to stay than NYC.

I have a 2 bed place minutes from the club, tennants leaving at Christmas so will likely be empty for Geelong week, no furniture so bring a swag, can I trust sailors to look after it? :o

ENTRY LIST

This page is currently still being built, however please continue to check back to see new exciting developments as they happen. If you have any ideas or suggestions for this website, please let us know by contacting us;

A full Entry List will be available for download once Entries Open on Wednesday 02/11/2011.

Cracking indeed. Most divisions have 2 entries. Cruising has the most with 8.

Be dazzled here - clicky

ENTRY LIST

Cracking indeed. Most divisions have 2 entries. Cruising has the most with 8.

Be dazzled here - clicky

Still 6 weeks to go but the writing is on the wall. RGYC's and the organisers collective freckles must be starting to twitch by now. They are charging way too much freight just to go race pretty much the same boats we race at home every week for much less money for the whole fucking season. Not going, that's for sure.

Just head for Queenscliffe and fart in Geelongs general direction as you pass the Prince George light.

"World Sailing Management (WSM), organizers of the MedCup sailing circuit, the official international competition of the TP52 and Soto 40 classes, regrets to announce to all those involved and interested in this prestigious circuit, that it has decided to suspend the 2012 season."

Maybe you suggest Geelong Week Regatta is just cancelled ?

Audi pull out - ahh fuck it ! - we'll call it off !

The reality is trying to raise a buck for a sailing event in this economic climate is like pulling teeth.

RGYC have made a decision to battle on & yes, fees have gone up. Time will tell how it is supported, but I'm willing to pay an extra $100 in fees to keep in going for another year in a 150+ year history.

I bet the marina manger at Queenscliff can't wait to see you pulling alongside & bitching about the casual berthing fees !

Just head for Queenscliffe and fart in Geelongs general direction as you pass the Prince George light.

"World Sailing Management (WSM), organizers of the MedCup sailing circuit, the official international competition of the TP52 and Soto 40 classes, regrets to announce to all those involved and interested in this prestigious circuit, that it has decided to suspend the 2012 season."

Maybe you suggest Geelong Week Regatta is just cancelled ?

Audi pull out - ahh fuck it ! - we'll call it off !

The reality is trying to raise a buck for a sailing event in this economic climate is like pulling teeth.

RGYC have made a decision to battle on & yes, fees have gone up. Time will tell how it is supported, but I'm willing to pay an extra $100 in fees to keep in going for another year in a 150+ year history.

I bet the marina manger at Queenscliff can't wait to see you pulling alongside & bitching about the casual berthing fees !

Agree with the sentiment but it's not just an extra $100, seems to be significantly more in most cases.

I'd be happy to pay an extra $100 as long as I knew there was no longer any snouts in the trough.

My div went from $175 in 2010 to $375. More than doubled. No thanks

Its not just the '$100' in entry fees (although for some it is way more than that). Its the additionals that you all have to pay as well. Accom at rates usually seen in primo locations, food and grog at high prices and all this as someone said before, to sail against boats we already race against.

60+ boats paid full price ($175) for the benefit of participating in the passage race only. (= $10,000.)

How many this year? Will need 20+ just to break even.

Everyone i've spoken too is not going this year. Very sad. :(

Doh 1:

It is rare for us to receive a post that demonstrates so conclusively why the poster is a complete fuckwit.

Way back before you were born doughbrain, Geelong Regatta was the equivalent of a family get together - the uncles, brothers, sisters, aunts, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc. all got together and had a party with some vicious racing thrown in for good measure. People slept on their boats, well anyones boat actually, there was lots of alcohol and tall stories. The event was run over a long weekend and everyone had a good time. We didn't mind paying the Geelong "Beer ticket tax" because we knew it was a major fundraiser for them as well as the local community via the Lions club, etc.

Then Geoff Kennett decided that the long weekend had to go.

Then Geelong got greedy.

They decided that they could make more money by having a "Sponsor" - Skandia. However to offer Skandia something they had to take away from the average yachtsman who funded the bulk of the costs. They put up a corporate tent and populated it with "Grand Pricks" yachtsmen for the Skandia hangers on to look at. Geelong even advertised a raffle (?) for which the first prize was entree into the corporate tent to pretend you were a "Grand Pricks" yachtman! Who the fuck would want to? especially if you knew the sponsors were turds.

Now if the Geelong Committee had half a brain cell between them, they would have realised a few things:

(a) Building a sponsorship culture inevitably increases the fixed costs of your operation - thus leaving the organisation vulnerable if it cannot reduce fixed costs when the sponsor vanishes.

(B) Creating a "Them" and "Us" culture of sponsors and their gusts with the "access all areas" type behaviour versus the great unwashed inevitably changes the ambiance of the event for the worse by building artificial barriers between contestants, organisers and others. This alienates the great unwashed - just ask a certain Adams Ten sailor what happened when he and his crew were invited into the sponsors tent after becoming the best performing yacht in the series one year.

© The money involved attracts "professionals" who push out volunteer labor - "learned helplessness" starts to appear among club members as they are told they are no longer allowed to do anything for themselves.

(d) The creaming off of the great and good experienced yachtsmen into the sponsors tent leaves the rest without a voice. ALl the officials are listening to the sponsors anyway.

(e) Then there is the little matter of the sponsors themselves - Skandia? Didn't they know that almost all in the financial industry are turds who would sell their own grandmothers?

(f) I will leave out the little matter of the Docklands corporation appropriating the Melbourne end of the proceedings. If you don't want to berth at Royals or elsewhere this end, so be it, but don't come asking for any help.

(g) Then there is the question of the racing itself - boring as batshit windward leeward racing in the outer harbor. The fixed courses in harbor were exciting, spectacular and put a huge fucking premium on very quick thinking and fast reflexes - something lacking from current race courses

...So for 2012 you wind up with no fucking sponsor and a fixed cost base you cannot jump over? So what does the average yachty get? Over priced beer, a lousy band on the lawn, Gestapo style security and the same old tired toilets and showers? Go fuck yourself. You made your bed. You lie in it.

Ahhh, Walrus, a trifle harsh, but correct.

I think it will take a big failure to knock this into shape, lets hope it happens in 2012, so we can get back to business in 2013. Don't look for them to make last minute changes to encourage entries this time.

Such a shame, they must be taking lessons from Alan Joyce at Qantas in 'How to trash a brand in one easy lesson'.

Slightly different note.

I see Terra Firma made the cover of Decembers Afloat. Nearly all very pretty in matching Mustos and Norths embroidery. Mex - which one are you.

Also - Whats the story with the crew in thongs (jandals as we say it)?

Doh 1:

It is rare for us to receive a post that demonstrates so conclusively why the poster is a complete fuckwit.

Way back before you were born doughbrain, Geelong Regatta was the equivalent of a family get together - the uncles, brothers, sisters, aunts, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc. all got together and had a party with some vicious racing thrown in for good measure. People slept on their boats, well anyones boat actually, there was lots of alcohol and tall stories. The event was run over a long weekend and everyone had a good time. We didn't mind paying the Geelong "Beer ticket tax" because we knew it was a major fundraiser for them as well as the local community via the Lions club, etc.

Then Geelong got greedy.

They decided that they could make more money by having a "Sponsor" - Skandia. However to offer Skandia something they had to take away from the average yachtsman who funded the bulk of the costs. They put up a corporate tent and populated it with "Grand Pricks" yachtsmen for the Skandia hangers on to look at. Geelong even advertised a raffle (?) for which the first prize was entree into the corporate tent to pretend you were a "Grand Pricks" yachtman! Who the fuck would want to? especially if you knew the sponsors were turds.

Now if the Geelong Committee had half a brain cell between them, they would have realised a few things:

(a) Building a sponsorship culture inevitably increases the fixed costs of your operation - thus leaving the organisation vulnerable if it cannot reduce fixed costs when the sponsor vanishes.

(B) Creating a "Them" and "Us" culture of sponsors and their gusts with the "access all areas" type behaviour versus the great unwashed inevitably changes the ambiance of the event for the worse by building artificial barriers between contestants, organisers and others. This alienates the great unwashed - just ask a certain Adams Ten sailor what happened when he and his crew were invited into the sponsors tent after becoming the best performing yacht in the series one year.

© The money involved attracts "professionals" who push out volunteer labor - "learned helplessness" starts to appear among club members as they are told they are no longer allowed to do anything for themselves.

(d) The creaming off of the great and good experienced yachtsmen into the sponsors tent leaves the rest without a voice. ALl the officials are listening to the sponsors anyway.

(e) Then there is the little matter of the sponsors themselves - Skandia? Didn't they know that almost all in the financial industry are turds who would sell their own grandmothers?

(f) I will leave out the little matter of the Docklands corporation appropriating the Melbourne end of the proceedings. If you don't want to berth at Royals or elsewhere this end, so be it, but don't come asking for any help.

(g) Then there is the question of the racing itself - boring as batshit windward leeward racing in the outer harbor. The fixed courses in harbor were exciting, spectacular and put a huge fucking premium on very quick thinking and fast reflexes - something lacking from current race courses

...So for 2012 you wind up with no fucking sponsor and a fixed cost base you cannot jump over? So what does the average yachty get? Over priced beer, a lousy band on the lawn, Gestapo style security and the same old tired toilets and showers? Go fuck yourself. You made your bed. You lie in it.

This should be presented to every yacht club committee before the accept the big bucks proposal - not to stop it happening but to make sure they understand the ramifications when it ends. Also parallels the 18ft skiffs when Grand Prix Sailing dominated and died

Doh 1:

Then Geelong got greedy.

Mate, you are a seriously bitter & twisted individual! Abused as a child, really small dick, don't get the respect you think you deserve as a sailor ?, either way a mighty big chip on your shoulder & probably the most ill informed arsehole on this entire website.

I hope you have a good time in queenscliff ( if they let you tie up ! ) regailing everybody with your tales of misery & the world of sailing according to Walrus (aka fuckwit extrordinaire !)

Doh 1:

Then Geelong got greedy.

Mate, you are a seriously bitter & twisted individual! Abused as a child, really small dick, don't get the respect you think you deserve as a sailor ?, either way a mighty big chip on your shoulder & probably the most ill informed arsehole on this entire website.

I hope you have a good time in queenscliff ( if they let you tie up ! ) regailing everybody with your tales of misery & the world of sailing according to Walrus (aka fuckwit extrordinaire !)

Actually ,he might be on the money.Small dick he might have,bitter & twisted yes,abused as a child and more now apparently,South Pacific Islanders breed for security jobs.DOH! But he left out one major factor. WHARRO fucking the now ex Skandia PR girl. ;).And as for the CUB beer its shit and that fucking paoella its enough to make you go to the Bay of Islands Regatta to catch up with my ex wife Baaaaaabara and Shaun me bro.

Gold to Breeze!

Now to let you into the secret Doh1; even when I was as pissed as a parrot down at RGYC, I had the good sense never to stick my little dick into a Geelong girl.

...Sounds like your Dad should have taken the same advice.

To put that another way, so you know exactly why I, and many others are terminally upset with you brain dead Geelong cretins; You took an event that had a unique place in Port Phillip history and fucked it totally, and we are ALL the poorer for your stupidity.

What the Port Phillip clubs need to do now is write off the Geelong Advertiser trophy and start another event, in another location, and without the bullshit, on the same weekend.

Gold to Breeze!

Now to let you into the secret Doh1; even when I was as pissed as a parrot down at RGYC, I had the good sense never to stick my little dick into a Geelong girl.

To put that another way, so you know exactly why I, and many others are terminally upset with you brain dead Geelong cretins; You took an event that had a unique place in Port Phillip history and fucked it totally, and we are ALL the poorer for your stupidity.

What the Port Phillip clubs need to do now is write off the Geelong Advertiser trophy and start another event, in another location, and without the bullshit, on the same weekend.

Undoubtedly a bloody good idea with considerable merit but I seriously doubt that any Melbourne yacht club would have the cojones to do that to RGYC.

YV would crucify them.

Gold to Breeze!

Undoubtedly a bloody good idea with considerable merit but I seriously doubt that any Melbourne yacht club would have the cojones to do that to RGYC.

YV would crucify them.

Actually it is the Clubs and not YV that control keelboat racing, not the other way around and in short YV do what they are told by the Keelboat Committee.

The YV Keelboat Committee is made up of representatives of each of the senior clubs and decides on a sailing program and all clubs are free to run any regatta they like and, for instance, include or exclude the Range Series from their own summer point scores.

Such a system only works with agreement and compromise and in my experiance some clubs compromise a little to much to the dertriment of their own members.

Perhaps time for a new broom?

And perhaps the YV Handicap Committee can take a fresh look at break points and get some sensible balance back into the divisions.

So far only 44 entries :o (includes sporties and classic's)

Wow, 44! But there's 6 weeks to go so some of those entered may yet change their minds :o

Hearing a HUGE groundswell of discontent about this around the traps with many already saying they won't be there in 2012. Times are tough RGYC; you may well have priced yourselves out of a viable regatta. Can you hear the people sing?

Time to give the "professional management" the arse and hand the event back to the sailors?

What Flatbag said. :)

United we stand :lol:

So far only 44 entries :o (includes sporties and classic's)

We get twice that on an average Wednesday twilight, heh.

It is bitterly disappointing that it has come to this, a great sailing carnival started by sailors for sailors, has been reduced to a corporate money grabbing event with community wide repercussions.

I strongly suggest that organisers of sailing regattas Australia-wide, nay Globally, would do well to take heed of what will be a spectacular example of sailors voting with their absence at Geelong's "Festival of Sail". FoS organisers were warned by sailors that this day would eventually come.

Sailors "DO NOT OCCUPY GEELONG" movement starts here.

We will have our carnival back!!

entries are always late coming in, and I am sure you will see the regulars come. Interesting to note even the locals dont seem to be embracing this. I also suspect that the demise of the Audi title is having an effect on the absence of interstate boats who usually drop in in the way home from hobart.

We will see...................

Im feeling love in the room :unsure:

To quote Mr Winston Wolf... "Lets not start..." :D

Maybe now the largest regatta in Geelong :D

RGYC had 49 starters for the last Wednesday twilight race, so really FoS cannot legitimately even claim that title.

There are two Sydney 38's for charter for the nationals at RPAYC that weekend if anyone would rather race in a 15 to 20 boat one design fleet than race IRC.

There are two Sydney 38's for charter for the nationals at RPAYC that weekend if anyone would rather race in a 15 to 20 boat one design fleet than race IRC.

and that will be cheaper than going to Geelong?

It is bitterly disappointing that it has come to this, a great sailing carnival started by sailors for sailors, has been reduced to a corporate money grabbing event with community wide repercussions.

I strongly suggest that organisers of sailing regattas Australia-wide, nay Globally, would do well to take heed of what will be a spectacular example of sailors voting with their absence at Geelong's "Festival of Sail". FoS organisers were warned by sailors that this day would eventually come.

Sailors "DO NOT OCCUPY GEELONG" movement starts here.

We will have our carnival back!!

lol....another certanty Don...tonight you will go to sleep , tomorrow you will wake up and EVENTUALLY one day you will die.