Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Let's call an official end to this cyber-space fight-with-wet-newspaper lads. Why don't we get back on track with this thread - we can return to baseless speculation about new boats, rumour and innuendo about existing boats and further wonderment about how Giddy Up got the hottest celebrity on his boat at Docklands.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

Let's call an official end to this cyber-space fight-with-wet-newspaper lads. Why don't we get back on track with this thread - we can return to baseless speculation about new boats, rumour and innuendo about existing boats and further wonderment about how Giddy Up got the hottest celebrity on his boat at Docklands.

So that's either Sam Newman, or Tony Mokbel??? based on air time!

Ahhhh, yes Grace. What ? didn't everyone get one of these for Docklands??

25.jpg

No quite seriously Guys, Grace was given her choice of which yacht she wanted. Now I was down on the boat looking up when they asked her And let me tell you I was not at least surprised when I tuned in the "big eyes " to Lip read her replies !!

" Is that Giddy Up Down there on that shiny new DK ? If I get to sail with him it will be heaven sent."

Let me tell you...I didn't have it in my heart to disappoint !

06.jpg

P.S. - when interviewed after the racing the rumour mill has it that Grace thoroughly enjoyed her time on the water "It was pure eXtasea !!!"

well I'm off to Cannes (france) recruiting......

Stay tuned for Giddy Up's Casting Couch. cumming to a Yachtclub near you :P

Sydney audition - CYCA 26 / 8 / 08.

Gold Coast audition - SPYC 28 / 8 / 08

well I'm off to Cannes (france) recruiting......

Stay tuned for Giddy Up's Casting Couch. cumming to a Yachtclub near you :P

Sydney audition - CYCA 26 / 8 / 08.

Gold Coast audition - SPYC 28 / 8 / 08

So have you got a ride north this winter?

Previous boat starts with 'R' and ends with 'evenge'.

Good to see the boat has gone to a keen crew and will be staying local.

Jock showed that the boat still has legs in recent S38 states. Steep learning curve ahead for GM & the boys coming out of the old Carter 33 though.

• 2 weeks later...

ORCV has made a decision re their Hobart Race course. Flip a coin dudes; you can go either way!

Copied from the ORCV website for your interest:

Melbourne to Hobart - East or West coast for 2008 /2009

The committee has made its decision over the course for the 2008/09 Melbourne to Hobart. The 35 year Westcoaster tradition should not be ignored; the race is integral to the history of the club. The east coast course offered a new challenge, a sense of involvement with others and possibly more options in inclement weather. To find out our decision, read on.............

Once the euphoria of a successful, well supported and relatively calm east coast voyage to Hobart had subsided, a serious discussion of the future of the Westcoaster was needed. Has our own marketing of the Westcoaster scared off likely entrants? Has "Sail the Wild Side" or "Nowhere to run, Nowhere to hide" been so unintentionally successful that people are now terrified of a trip down the west coast?

The 35 year tradition should not be ignored; the race is integral to the history of the club and it is unique both in its challenging nature and that the course is sailed by no other club.

The decision to alter the course for 2007 was initially made as a once-off change and the committee of the club had every intention to revert to the traditional West coast course for all future years.

The excitement that the east coast course generated raises the question whether the east coast combination may be what the members want. The perception of a less treacherous course or perhaps the attraction of having both the Sydney to Hobart and the Launceston to Hobart races follow a similar course and having more boats visible during the event, both may be what the members are after.

We surveyed the membership to give us a clearer picture of what you wanted for the future. We deliberately waited for things to settle down after the hype associated with the 100th Rudder cup. The results indicated 65% of respondents would prefer an east coast course over the west coast course, yet another question revealed that 70% of respondents would join the west coast course if that was the only race run. An exhaustive analysis of the survey results and the many comments made by respondents only acted to demonstrate the polarised opinion within our membership. Middle ground or consensus between the two factions appears impossible to achieve. Neither camp is either wrong or right. The Westcoaster is challenging, unique and identifiably our own race; one with 35 years tradition. The east coast course offers a new challenge, a less remote path, a sense of involvement with others and possibly more options in inclement weather against which many members were concerned that the east coast race could loose its identity being gobbled up by the S2H and L2H races.

The Outcome

Your committee has decided to retain our "Westcoaster" race in its current form.

Westcoast supporters still have their "Westcoaster" race.

The Heemskirk Trophy will be retained for the Westcoaster.

and

A new East Coast trophy race will be added to our racing calendar

For now known as the "Eastcoaster".

Following a course that passes to the north of Flinders Island, eliminating the Banks Strait issues over safety and the unfairness of an opposing tide.

The two race solution has some additional advantages:

Added interest, extra press and TV coverage can be sought using the "East vs. West" point of difference.

The East Coast course in only 14nms longer that the Westcoaster course. In all these East vs. West coast deliberations, we can assume that the final course distance to Hobart via either coast can be equalized.

Yacht tracker and website interest would be high, attracting member interest, media and sponsors.

Sponsorship plans are being finalized and the combined race programme will prove to be bigger and better than ever.

Keep watching the http://www.orcv.org.au/ website for breaking news.

So waddya reckon? Which way will you go or will you go at all? What will the choice do to fleet numbers?

ORCV has made a decision re their Hobart Race course. Flip a coin dudes; you can go either way!

Copied from the ORCV website for your interest:

Melbourne to Hobart - East or West coast for 2008 /2009

The committee has made its decision over the course for the 2008/09 Melbourne to Hobart. The 35 year Westcoaster tradition should not be ignored; the race is integral to the history of the club. The east coast course offered a new challenge, a sense of involvement with others and possibly more options in inclement weather. To find out our decision, read on.............

Once the euphoria of a successful, well supported and relatively calm east coast voyage to Hobart had subsided, a serious discussion of the future of the Westcoaster was needed. Has our own marketing of the Westcoaster scared off likely entrants? Has "Sail the Wild Side" or "Nowhere to run, Nowhere to hide" been so unintentionally successful that people are now terrified of a trip down the west coast?

The 35 year tradition should not be ignored; the race is integral to the history of the club and it is unique both in its challenging nature and that the course is sailed by no other club.

The decision to alter the course for 2007 was initially made as a once-off change and the committee of the club had every intention to revert to the traditional West coast course for all future years.

The excitement that the east coast course generated raises the question whether the east coast combination may be what the members want. The perception of a less treacherous course or perhaps the attraction of having both the Sydney to Hobart and the Launceston to Hobart races follow a similar course and having more boats visible during the event, both may be what the members are after.

We surveyed the membership to give us a clearer picture of what you wanted for the future. We deliberately waited for things to settle down after the hype associated with the 100th Rudder cup. The results indicated 65% of respondents would prefer an east coast course over the west coast course, yet another question revealed that 70% of respondents would join the west coast course if that was the only race run. An exhaustive analysis of the survey results and the many comments made by respondents only acted to demonstrate the polarised opinion within our membership. Middle ground or consensus between the two factions appears impossible to achieve. Neither camp is either wrong or right. The Westcoaster is challenging, unique and identifiably our own race; one with 35 years tradition. The east coast course offers a new challenge, a less remote path, a sense of involvement with others and possibly more options in inclement weather against which many members were concerned that the east coast race could loose its identity being gobbled up by the S2H and L2H races.

The Outcome

Your committee has decided to retain our "Westcoaster" race in its current form.

Westcoast supporters still have their "Westcoaster" race.

The Heemskirk Trophy will be retained for the Westcoaster.

and

A new East Coast trophy race will be added to our racing calendar

For now known as the "Eastcoaster".

Following a course that passes to the north of Flinders Island, eliminating the Banks Strait issues over safety and the unfairness of an opposing tide.

The two race solution has some additional advantages:

Added interest, extra press and TV coverage can be sought using the "East vs. West" point of difference.

The East Coast course in only 14nms longer that the Westcoaster course. In all these East vs. West coast deliberations, we can assume that the final course distance to Hobart via either coast can be equalized.

Yacht tracker and website interest would be high, attracting member interest, media and sponsors.

Sponsorship plans are being finalized and the combined race programme will prove to be bigger and better than ever.

Keep watching the http://www.orcv.org.au/ website for breaking news.

So waddya reckon? Which way will you go or will you go at all? What will the choice do to fleet numbers?

Seems like a good idea to run both initially. If interest drops off in one then you can always can it. Sometimes you gotta move with the times. Athough there is a long history with the Westcoaster, personally I'd rather be racing in a strong 50+ fleet down the east coast than a small one down the westcoast if that's the way it's gonna be. Or even better, strong fleets down both sides.

So do you enter once and have the two options open to you as you're going out the Heads? Is there one prize to finish first, irrespective of which direction taken? Or just bragging rights... (which are still valuable at the Customs House bar)

Put's great emphasis on weather and nav if that's the case.

If I remember rightly, the 1998 Westcoaster was a great run as it started post the system going through the Straight that smashed the S2H fleet. Options are always good.

Mex

Looks like Flirt has her new keel working well. Results for IRC Div 1 ORCV Winter Series Race 1. Any reports from the water ?

1 SM2008 FLIRT

2 R50 LIVING DOLL

3 R33 CHUTZPAH

4 G4646R EXTASEA

5 SM602 VELOCE

6 SM46 DEKADENCE

7 8880 GOLDFINGER

8 SM2 CHALLENGE

9 SM6115 SIERRA CHAINSAW

10 SM6083 SCARLET RUNNER

Looks like Flirt has her new keel working well. Results for IRC Div 1 ORCV Winter Series Race 1. Any reports from the water ?

1 SM2008 FLIRT

2 R50 LIVING DOLL

3 R33 CHUTZPAH

4 G4646R EXTASEA

5 SM602 VELOCE

6 SM46 DEKADENCE

7 8880 GOLDFINGER

8 SM2 CHALLENGE

9 SM6115 SIERRA CHAINSAW

10 SM6083 SCARLET RUNNER

good result for chutzpah too

post-2116-1215337697_thumb.jpg

Very accurate is the rumour mill on this site, as always.

Me thinks the Skandia guys will do very well at HIRW given the obvious modifications and talent on board.

If the ultimate rumour is correct, will be like giving a machine gun to a 3 year old ;)

1 SM2008 FLIRT

2 R50 LIVING DOLL

3 R33 CHUTZPAH

4 G4646R EXTASEA

5 SM602 VELOCE

6 SM46 DEKADENCE

7 8880 GOLDFINGER

8 SM2 CHALLENGE

9 SM6115 SIERRA CHAINSAW

10 SM6083 SCARLET RUNNER

Any details on MOB?

Any details on MOB?

from the orcv website -

The first race in the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria’s Winter Series started orderly enough with clean starts in both divisions with a seventeen to nineteen knot northerly breeze. The downwind leg provided a few death rolls and roundups to sober the rest of the fleet. In less than an hour, a radio call advised of an MOB resulting from a gybe catching a crewmember between the boom and lifelines and subsequently overboard. Text book MOB drilling made for fast spinnaker drop and return within seven minutes but another closeby competitor had made the pickup, although losing one of their own overboard in the process. All well and good real-life practise!. Before long, the downwind mark had to be replaced by a mark boat, having been picked up and taken for a tow by another competitor. The quick on the ball race team covered the situation without problems although it took some time before the mark was recovered from the fin and bulb keel configuration.

Hmmm... a bit cold for swim this time of year...

MOB was from Beneslow 44.7 Outrageous.

How are they gonna handle working the deck of XLR8 in a real blow???

Any news on when SMB3 will roll out oft the shed (if she hasn't already) ?? And what about SMB2, hasn't the guy from Mornington who owned Top Cat years ago bought it and is fixing it up ??

SMB3 rolled up at Sandringham today, July 12, to have her rig stepped. Looks like a bigger Chutzpah with a vast cockpit, similar chines aft, cabin trunk well forward. Very impressive bit of carbon kit that rig is too with some nice details - well done to Pete Kula and his team from Applied Composites for a great job, their 5th big boat rig so far this year. Good to see local boys getting their share of a tough market. Pics coming...

Sexy looking boat.

I havnt seen that colour scheme around before? :P

No sign of a red stripe? Cool looking ride.

If they paid for silver then should ask for their money back.

In the flesh light grey at best.

Stop it Rossco or you'll go blind!

Nice days sailing, fleet down a bit with boats going north.

www.orcv.org.au

Many possibly "indisposed" due to SYC Ball the night before. The usual atrocities from the usual suspects ensued.

Memo: All women over 50, leave yer undies ON - we really don't need to see 'em! Some of us had just eaten, dammit!

And the a capella rendition of Don McClean's classic American Pie as the band was packing up was excruciatingly horrible. Some members showed some musical abilities, others evidently severely challenged in that department.

Rossco your boat cover seems to have killed the thread!

how did the ORCV go yesterday you mob? We've had the breeze from hell over here in WA for a week or so now

Sorry about that.

Perhaps the tent maker was indisposed with knickers on his head.

Sorry about that.

Perhaps the tent maker was indisposed with knickers on his head.

Tent maker you say? A noble profession I'm sure, however not mine. I'm just a humble shipping facilitator.

Pre-worn lingerie as millinery- now that's a scenario way too kinky even for me. As it has apparently appeared foremost in your thoughts, perhaps more your scene?

Tent maker you say? A noble profession I'm sure, however not mine. I'm just a humble shipping facilitator.

Pre-worn lingerie as millinery- now that's a scenario way too kinky even for me. As it has apparently appeared foremost in your thoughts, perhaps more your scene?

Sorry, my bad :rolleyes:

is it just me or does anyone else think that the ORCV entry fees for the winter series @ $50 per race are starting to get up there?

You can sail as a casual for $10/race in the SYC Winter Series every second Saturday in a bigger fleet.

You can sail as a casual for $10/race in the SYC Winter Series every second Saturday in a bigger fleet.

no arguement here! the range series is only $25 a pop, where you sail in as big a fleet as you can get on the bay. don't understand what the orcv are trying to achieve. maybe they are trying to make up for lost bar revenue??

So, now that Alien is sold, anyone have any information on a new program for the now ex-owner???

Lots of conjecture on that score so why not ask Mike or Mark yourself, they are the only ones that really know. Why is it so important that you should know? Given their past history you can be pretty sure it will be:

1: Bigger

2: Faster

3: Rate very well on AMS / IRC

is it just me or does anyone else think that the ORCV entry fees for the winter series @ $50 per race are starting to get up there?

not just you. It's one of the reasons i didn't enter - the other being that sandy has good size fleets for a fifth of the price. The ORCV winter fleet list would seem to suggest this - most entries are from the more northern clubs, with mainly big boats from SYC.

And it's a smaller fleet than past years IIRC.

not just you. It's one of the reasons i didn't enter - the other being that sandy has good size fleets for a fifth of the price. The ORCV winter fleet list would seem to suggest this - most entries are from the more northern clubs, with mainly big boats from SYC.

And it's a smaller fleet than past years IIRC.

What effect will SYC and their quest to become a 'superclub' have on the ORCV and smaller northern clubs? Will SYC become the defacto bay race club?

The boat owner I race for was a member of a northern club and has moved his base to SYC. I am moving from the same northern club to SYC based purely on the fact that thats where the bigger boats are now predominantly based.

Will SYC's expansion drain the pool of owners available to the other clubs or is there enough boat owner pie to go around?

TBG.

What effect will SYC and their quest to become a 'superclub' have on the ORCV and smaller northern clubs? Will SYC become the defacto bay race club?

The boat owner I race for was a member of a northern club and has moved his base to SYC. I am moving from the same northern club to SYC based purely on the fact that thats where the bigger boats are now predominantly based.

Will SYC's expansion drain the pool of owners available to the other clubs or is there enough boat owner pie to go around?

TBG.

It doesn't really matter where you saild from so much as the quality of racing you have. if each time you go out and race youo are doing so against the best on the bay isn't that the main aim? SYC have a good strategy at the moment encourage all types, don't charge the earth to race, even for us non members, provide the racing as often as it is wanted, sounds pretty good to me. Oh and btw I am not a member at SYC. ORCV and SGW might do well looking at this?

TBG.

That'd be right ... it's all about big boats isn't it TBG !!!

Well what about the little guy...

you know...

the one's that gave you a start in your sailing career...

Last time I was at syc,

I couldn't see the mega yachts through the mega stink boats...

Anyone we know Cos?

Nahhh sportscar

Just some westie trying his best...

Am sure more details will be revealed ...

TBG.. was good of you to shout a round of draught ..

the offer to sail on a 'little' boat' is always there...

cos.

Nahhh sportscar

Just some westie trying his best...

Am sure more details will be revealed ...

TBG.. was good of you to shout a round of draught ..

the offer to sail on a 'little' boat' is always there...

cos.

Good work on Friday nite Cos.

I hope the hard work pays off and that the interest generated helps fill the coffers.

Lets go racing.

TBG

Come on insuranceguy, spill the beans

(scarlet beans, perhaps?)

t

It will be off the same design as the RP52 'Vincitore' in the USA. They (the US Boat) are feeding back info on what mods have been implemented. At this stage, nothing fancy. No trim tabs, no swing keel. Will rate similar to Georgia. (TP52.) Name of boat.......well the last 7 (includes past generations) had the same name! Time for a change??? How about 'Date-rape'? I don't think this will get past the SYC committe!

It will be off the same design as the RP52 'Vincitore' in the USA. They (the US Boat) are feeding back info on what mods have been implemented. At this stage, nothing fancy. No trim tabs, no swing keel. Will rate similar to Georgia. (TP52.) Name of boat.......well the last 7 (includes past generations) had the same name! Time for a change??? How about 'Date-rape'? I don't think this will get past the SYC committe!

Perhaps Datefinger? Roy and HG have much to say on the subject of Dates so you should be able to come up with something innocuously offensive.