Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

if you mean we'll see it in the slings a lot.

i don't expect it will set the world on fire immediatley.

i may be proved wrong, but it may take till after hobart or SGW before we see it's true potential.

if iam wrong it will be due to the hiring of some heavier hitters than are currentlyon the personnel list.

don't get me wrong now! i'm not having a crack at one of the best crews in the country,( see airlie and hammo results) but to get this boat on the money straight away, they'll probly have to get some help.

it will definitley look hornbag full on evil robot chubby fast, but it may get lost in the pack of slightly larger boats of the same generation at christmas.

at least it shouldn't howl at the moon like the latest batch from Rachel Pweeughw.

can't wait to see it lit up in the flesh, and all the best to mike and the guys.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

Where is Smooth Criminal? I check in on this thread and I thought that it was going to be the "Check-Your-Trousers-Blink-and-You'll-Miss-Me-Div-0-Slayer" this season.

The rig has not arrived (supposed to be stepped 2 weeks ago), so could not measure for IRC.

Hey Don, the Sandy Recreational Boating fishing comp is coming up this weekend - you planning to take out your boat??

ha! that's bloody ripe coming you breath of 10,000 cocks.

Only 10,000?? :P

Where is Smooth Criminal? I check in on this thread and I thought that it was going to be the "Check-Your-Trousers-Blink-and-You'll-Miss-Me-Div-0-Slayer" this season.

The rig has not arrived (supposed to be stepped 2 weeks ago), so could not measure for IRC.

Hey Don, the Sandy Recreational Boating fishing comp is coming up this weekend - you planning to take out your boat??

Fair bit of cunt in you eh Joff? Kicking a man when he's down like that... shame on you.

So Don, what's it to be, bait or lures?

Actually, I am thinking about it..

Fair bit of cunt in you eh Joff? Kicking a man when he's down like that... shame on you.

unbaited hooks seem to work just fine around here....

:lol: Damn right they do...

Don is that your rig sitting the yard yesterday? looks good! Will it be in for the weekend. Looks like not much wind.

Yes it is, and hopefully it will be stepped before Saturday. We have had "issues" getting the standing rigging from the US, and connections from NZ.

You should know! You've been caught and thrown back many times.

This from a man having trouble getting it up?

This from a man having trouble getting it up?

Aaaaaaaaagh! It's growing dark, the end is near....I've been skewered by your rapier-like wit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw Peter Kula putting together Smoothie rig last night, thats some sexy gear. Flash as a rat with a gold tooth.

Boatyard rumours of a PBS rigging error?

Saw Peter Kula putting together Smoothie rig last night, thats some sexy gear. Flash as a rat with a gold tooth.

Boatyard rumours of a PBS rigging error?

polybenzoxazole.

No error.

Delays in USA/NZ supply/manufacture and therefore delivery of certain items.

Boatyard rumours of a PBS(X) rigging error?

polybenzoxazole.

No error.

Polybenzoxazole - thats easy for you to say. PBX manufactured length error was the yard scuttlebut. Hope not as Smoothie is not much of a fishing boat.

polybenzoxazole.

No error.

Polybenzoxazole - thats easy for you to say. PBX manufactured length error was the yard scuttlebut. Hope not as Smoothie is not much of a fishing boat.

Thanks.

Manufactured lengths were/are OK. The main issue was major (almost 4 months) delay in PBO-to-rigging screw connection manufacture in NZ which meant Pete could not confirm the ordered standing rigging lengths in the time period necessary to manufacture the rigging and get it to Melbourne from USA in time for first race.

The first race for the 38's with their mast head spinnakers be interesting to see if they have improved.

Are the Vic. S38's doing something different to the NSW S38's re masthead the spins?

at last check, The S38 OD class had voted against the m/heads.

Racing in IRC fleets. I think by the end of the season the majority of VIC 38's will be masthead.

Scarlett

That 5 boat

Bruce's old boat

chainsaw wont be far behind once she is left behind on the first run eh Joff?

It will be interesting to watch the results. Do you know what their IRC ratings are?

"Challenge" 1st on line, IRC, AMS, VYC. IRC rating is now 1.119.

Scarlett (also with masthead) had a third on IRC on a light and flukey day. Left the other S38's behind. Challenge was 'on fire' and led the fleet by 20+ boat lengths. Great race from Lou and the boys. Chainsaw had a shocka. beaten by Orange on it's maiden melb race!! )You have a big firday night joff or did you let Molly senior helm for a bit :P .) Hope all S38 go the MH option as it makes a significant differance in the light breeze.

The first race for the 38's with their mast head spinnakers be interesting to see if they have improved.

Are the Vic. S38's doing something different to the NSW S38's re masthead the spins?

at last check, The S38 OD class had voted against the m/heads.

Racing in IRC fleets. I think by the end of the season the majority of VIC 38's will be masthead.

Scarlett

That 5 boat

Bruce's old boat

chainsaw wont be far behind once she is left behind on the first run eh Joff?

It will be interesting to watch the results. Do you know what their IRC ratings are?

"Challenge" 1st on line, IRC, AMS, VYC. IRC rating is now 1.119.

Scarlett (also with masthead) had a third on IRC on a light and flukey day. Left the other S38's behind. Challenge was 'on fire' and led the fleet by 20+ boat lengths. Great race from Lou and the boys. Chainsaw had a shocka. beaten by Orange on it's maiden melb race!! )You have a big firday night joff or did you let Molly senior helm for a bit :P .) Hope all S38 go the MH option as it makes a significant differance in the light breeze.

None of the above "insuranceguy" - we were 5 sec off having a glamour start, ended up OCS and after rerounding and battling through the fleet to be 7 or 8 around first windward, held on to mast headed Challenge and Scarlett (well almost) until major wind shift just before bottom mark. Ended up Zigging when we should have Zagged a couple of times and ended up out the back door but boat seemed ok with pace. Tricky day but shit happens.

Molly senior is a senior is a good helm and I had a "sensible" Friday nite.

Yep, Louie and his guys sailed very well and robbies new handicap and masthead arrangement obviously helped him as well.

Oh yeh, Fuck off Newbie

so, using challenge as an example S38 with m/heads and IRC rating of 1.119, How do you feel carrying that rating over a fractional S38 rated in the region of 1.103 ?

1.103 looks quite attractive, but who cares about IRC or OD, PHD is the division we are interested in. We just need to get "insuranceguy" to steer for us so we can optimize for it.

A.M

so, using challenge as an example S38 with m/heads and IRC rating of 1.119, How do you feel carrying that rating over a fractional S38 rated in the region of 1.103 ?

1.103 looks quite attractive, but who cares about IRC or OD, PHD is the division we are interested in. We just need to get "insuranceguy" to steer for us so we can optimize for it.

A.M

"who cares about IRC or OD..." That would have to be the biggest load of horse droppings I have heard out of you in years. Are you sure you didn't choke when writing that????

A.M

"who cares about IRC or OD..." That would have to be the biggest load of horse droppings I have heard out of you in years. Are you sure you didn't choke when writing that????

Don, The note of Sarcasm was lost on you.

Cheers

Andrew

A.M

Cheers

Andrew

Not lost, just ignored.

Hopefully see you on the water tomorrow!

A.M

Cheers

Andrew

At least you can use your wit as a comeback.......much better than joff's "Fuck off newbie!" I have respect for all the guy's on SC, thus my question on why it went so wrong! Sincere Appoligies to Mel if he is offended. We all have our bad days.........we too have had glammour starts only be to 5 sec too early...........infact almost every OCS was a a glammour start ............only 5 sec too early...........

polybenzoxazole.

No error.

Thanks.

Manufactured lengths were/are OK. The main issue was major (almost 4 months) delay in PBO-to-rigging screw connection manufacture in NZ which meant Pete could not confirm the ordered standing rigging lengths in the time period necessary to manufacture the rigging and get it to Melbourne from USA in time for first race.

Sorry to see no stick in Smoothie as of an hour ago. Lengths reputedly a bit short mate? Effing expensive error if its true, not to mention the frustrating delay in getting back sailing. Major bummer.

polybenzoxazole.

No error.

Thanks.

Sorry to see no stick in Smoothie as of an hour ago. Lengths reputedly a bit short mate? Effing expensive error if its true, not to mention the frustrating delay in getting back sailing. Major bummer.

Jeez, I HOPE YOU'RE JOKING.

The spar maker hasn't contacted me today yet, and GUARRANTEED the rig would fit a couple of days ago.

Maybe I need to talk to a lawyer?

polybenzoxazole.

No error.

Thanks.

The spar maker hasn't contacted me today yet, and GUARRANTEED the rig would fit a couple of days ago.

:(

polybenzoxazole.

No error.

Thanks.

:(

Mmmm, just as I suspected, the aforementioned "rig" is really just a giant game fishing pole procured for the SYC fishing comp!! How did you go Don, get a bite??

(PS, hope you get it sorted)

Great to see the Doctor and Nurses crewing at Sandy saved one of their own.

Sensational job people.

Here......Here...... A sensational effort from those at the scene when it happened. Well done !!

So what did happen?

is the patient OK?

Sensational job people.

Here......Here...... A sensational effort from those at the scene when it happened. Well done !!

So what did happen?

is the patient OK?

major heart attack - patient currently in induced coma - critical condition.

hope he pulls thru :(

Great to see Nic & the guys give the Sydney siders an ass whooping at the Sydney 47 Regatta.

http://www.cyca.com.au/sysfile/downloads/s47_09ps.pdf

Another note about this regatta from the Sydney Yachts website: Clicky

Nice that they did use any photos of the boat that won the regatta. Sydney Mafia... god they shit me!

Mex

Great to see Nic & the guys give the Sydney siders an ass whooping at the Sydney 47 Regatta.

Nice that they did use any photos of the boat that won the regatta. Sydney Mafia... god they shit me!

Mex

That's bullshit. What a fucking joke. Imagine the uproar if the roles were reversed and it happened here.

Mex

Terra never spent enough time around the other boats to give any good photos of the "close" racing.

Thanks for your help Mex. Good to sail with you again.

Sensational job people.

From the SYC Website

This is a personal account from Chris Waters of last Saturday afternoon on the marina.

To all who were there, those who helped and those who patiently stood aside - many thanks.

................................................................................

On Saturday 25th October SYC had a great day of racing. We , in Bali Dancer, returned to the pen and cleaned up the boat. Ian Goddard, a man with an interest in our boat , and a great interest in life, declined a beer. Asked why he said he was feeling a bit ordinary. Ian had had a stent (a device that opens a constricted blood vessel) fitted a year or so ago for angina symptoms. We talked about the symptoms of heart attack and he said one of them was pain or soreness in the arms. Now Ian was doing main sheet, and we were short handed so he also helped on head sail and some spinnaker work, so he'd been working hard. So when he said his arms were sore that sort of went with the day! He;d been working hard and there was a lot of rope pulling under pretty heavy loads. I took his pulse. It was 110 at rest which was pretty high, but it was a good, consistent and rhythmic pulse so I didn't get alarmed. We talked further of symptoms, and even though Ian had had his daily aspirin, we decided to give him a disprin (soluble aspirin) and take him to Sandringham hospital just in case. Margie Marks offered to drive him and they departed. Two Minutes later Ian Boon hastened back - "There's a man with a heart attack, the ambulance has been called - come quickly".

Margie had been walking with Ian, and on the fuelling jetty he leant on her - "I'm not feeling well". Margie said "I'll get a wheel barrow and take you to the car" - "Not in front of these people" said Ian. He took three more steps and sank to his knees. Margie manoeuvred him down onto his back and started her level 2 first aid trained response. She checked his airways and screamed for someone to call an ambulance and for someone to go to Row A - Bali Dancer and get me.

My friend, my colleague and part of our team was fighting for his life. Margie was now doing first aid - not on a manikin, or a class mate, but on a friend and crew mate who wasn't taking his turn in a class. He was dying.

I sprinted (as best my aged legs do these days) up to the KKC. By the time I got there Kathy Pollack and Lyn Allen had started CPR and Rob Cuthbertson (a doctor) from Musketeer, had joined them with the serious strength that it takes to bang away at a heart in real life CPR. The shock wave from each of Rob's compressions shot down to Ian's pelvis and echoed back up his body. A heaving sea of gut as the desperate fight for life was played out. Paul Corfield, Duty manager had been summoned by Susan Garvan and arrived with the club defibrulator (a device to stop the trembling, ineffectual beat that heart muscle can go into). Everyone's seen it on TV - "CLEAR - - bang". Shit - its no fun when it's real. Paul quickly fitted the pads according to the instructions and the device played out its preprogrammed instructions. Ian's body convulsed with the high voltage pulse that was shot through his chest. Just like the movies. Except just not like the movies, this was my friend, who was in dreadful danger. His pants were wet from his pee where his bladder had involuntarily released. Kathy Pollack was tasting his vomit as she continued mouth to mouth. His face was becoming increasingly grey. I checked that all that could be done was in hand. Club members were already at the gates to direct ambulances. Another crew from Musketeer was urging anyone who didn't have a serious reason to be there to move on. I shortly after asked Paul Corfield to get the keys to 2 ducks to allow the patient body of members who were waiting at the gates to be ferried to the crane jetty..

The firies and the ambos arrived. Somewhat brutally they asked everyone to move away. They need to take control, they don't know that there may be some highly competent people on the job. Later they asked that their apologies be conveyed. They have no time to be polite!!

Ian had been many minutes without a continuous pulse. Occasional spontaneous breaths, and brief pulse, were desperate signs of a battle, with signs of hope. The paramedics worked quietly and determinedly with all their resources and eventually restored a strong consistent pulse!!

In the mean time, Margie had called Ian's wife Kass. She was in Mount Eliza. Again members where positioned to meet Kass and bring her down to the scene. Marissa McManus, a trained nurse, and member of our safety advisory group on sail committee, was waiting. Kass was with her husband when he finally responded and lifted himself back to the living. The ambos could now stabilise the situation. In the background many of us could now help those who had been in the forefront of this event. Everyone is shocked. In the correct sense of the word. This event was real. There was no time out. There was no "ring a friend". All the people involved did a magnificent job. The staff at the Alfred, (to where Ian was transported), said on Sunday that Ian's being alive when he arrived at the Alfred was due to the prompt, and accurate, and efficient, support he received.

All of us who were closely involved have probably shed a tear or two. It is a shattering experience, yet a gift of unexplainable privilege, to try to save a life.

To those who worked, who supervised, who consoled, who organised, who did whatever it takes, I thank you with all my heart.

At the time of writing I don't know whether I have helped save, or have lost, a friend. But what has struck me profoundly is the way the members of our club responded instinctively and collectively to the most important issue in our lives - life and death. And perhaps this really signifies what we mean to each other as a club.

When it matters, it matters, and we help each other. Whatever it takes.

Ian's wife Kass, asked me to convey her heartfelt thanks to all those involved. And I convey mine, and those of Margie Marks, and Lee Evans.

Thank You.

Chris Waters,

Terra never spent enough time around the other boats to give any good photos of the "close" racing.

Pleasure was all mine. See you at the end of November for the Savills Regatta.

Mex

Mex

No doubt Terra was well sailed but how much did the recent major refit and internal modifications together with the weight savings help in this "One Design" regatta?

No doubt Terra was well sailed but how much did the recent major refit and internal modifications together with the weight savings help in this "One Design" regatta?

Good question. Terra is the only Sydney 47 CR with a carbon rig but this isn't a new addition. Upwind we were smoking the fleet so the boat is stiff and certainly trucks faster and higher than the other boats. I think this is a function of better upwind sails and the rig. In the last race we switched to our heavy and Balance stayed with their medium and we demolished them upwind.

Terra is the only boat without a bow sprit and so we flew sym spinnakers all weekend. Balance had the option of pole or sprit and so used a mix of sym and asym down wind sails. All other boats only had sprits and so only flew asyms. Down wind we were as fast as Balance but I wouldn't say quicker. As the breeze increased we both had an advantage of sailing deeper over the asym only boats.

On the whole, we had solid starts, held our lane and hurt the fleet as much as possible upwind. We didn't take risks on tactics and simply stayed in or out of the current as required and used the headlands to gain lifts. We kept it reasonably clean at the corners; well, as much as anyone did.

They're not OD boats but pretty close. We had an advantage upwind and that was all we needed. Hard to say how much the mods contributed to the result, but given the mods didn't include putting weight into the bulb, I wouldn't have thought they contributed massively. Tops weekend!

Mex

Good question. Terra is the only Sydney 47 CR with a carbon rig but this isn't a new addition. Upwind we were smoking the fleet so the boat is stiff and certainly trucks faster and higher than the other boats. I think this is a function of better upwind sails and the rig. In the last race we switched to our heavy and Balance stayed with their medium and we demolished them upwind.

Terra is the only boat without a bow sprit and so we flew sym spinnakers all weekend. Balance had the option of pole or sprit and so used a mix of sym and asym down wind sails. All other boats only had sprits and so only flew asyms. Down wind we were as fast as Balance but I wouldn't say quicker. As the breeze increased we both had an advantage of sailing deeper over the asym only boats.

On the whole, we had solid starts, held our lane and hurt the fleet as much as possible upwind. We didn't take risks on tactics and simply stayed in or out of the current as required and used the headlands to gain lifts. We kept it reasonably clean at the corners; well, as much as anyone did.

They're not OD boats but pretty close. We had an advantage upwind and that was all we needed. Hard to say how much the mods contributed to the result, but given the mods didn't include putting weight into the bulb, I wouldn't have thought they contributed massively. Tops weekend!

Mex

Thanks, good answer. So I guess no plans to fit a prod & assy set up to TF?

Thanks, good answer. So I guess no plans to fit a prod & assy set up to TF?

Let's face, the Syd 47 CR is a displacement boat and always will be. you're not going to get better VMG reaching all over the race course. The only reason you'd put a sprit on one is if you do a lot of reaching; which the Sydney boats do. Almost all ocean racing out of Port Jackson is coastal and the inshore stuff is so restricted in the Harbour it has to involve reaching. Not a lot of windward leeward courses being sailed up here by these boats. Hence, they use a sprit for ease of use and a rating advantage.

As per last weekend, it just doesn't always work out that way.

Dunno if Nick is considering it, but I wouldn't.

My 2 cents

Mex

I saw a Stanley report on Sail World which claimed Shogun had won the race by a mile ("Shogun has taken provisional first place by an impressive 3 hours 10 minutes and 44 seconds"):

Sail World Article

I then went to ORCV and had a look at the actual results (based on finishing times and IRC handicaps!) and it turns out that Chutzpah thrashed Shogun on IRC by more than an hour in a 27 hour race:

ORCV Stanley Results

After the Terra Firma photograph debacle mentioned on this thread it only goes to highlight the parlous state of Australian yachting journalism.

Chutzpah thrashed Shogun on IRC by more than an hour in a 27 hour race

didn't see "audi centre melbourne" (or flirt) in the fleet list, what's happening there?

if you don't know i'm sure you'll be told. maybe not on the net though

I saw a Stanley report on Sail World which claimed Shogun had won the race by a mile ("Shogun has taken provisional first place by an impressive 3 hours 10 minutes and 44 seconds"):

Sail World Article

I then went to ORCV and had a look at the actual results (based on finishing times and IRC handicaps!) and it turns out that Chutzpah thrashed Shogun on IRC by more than an hour in a 27 hour race:

ORCV Stanley Results

After the Terra Firma photograph debacle mentioned on this thread it only goes to highlight the parlous state of Australian yachting journalism.

ORCV not entirely blameless either. Check out the Line Honours list - No Chutzpah to be seen there - WTF?

Sail World Article

ORCV Stanley Results

Ok so they made a bit of a blue, obviously pinned in a wrong number for Shogun. But on a positive note the ORCV boys kept press race updates going all day which was great! the orcv is doing a much better job promoting their races than in the past. We met them down there in Stanley sitting in the van on the endof the breakwater taking times in the wee small hours. Rather than knock them for making a mistake,I would thank them for making an effort.

Well done chutzy

Ok so they made a bit of a blue, obviously pinned in a wrong number for Shogun. But on a positive note the ORCV boys kept press race updates going all day which was great! the orcv is doing a much better job promoting their races than in the past. We met them down there in Stanley sitting in the van on the endof the breakwater taking times in the wee small hours. Rather than knock them for making a mistake,I would thank them for making an effort.

Well done chutzy

I am not knocking ORCV - they do a great job. Melbourne offshore sailing and the calendar for big boat racing is probably the best in the country and ORCV play a huge role in that.

I was having a go a Sail-World.

Well done chutzy

I am not knocking ORCV - they do a great job. Melbourne offshore sailing and the calendar for big boat racing is probably the best in the country and ORCV play a huge role in that.

OK point taken

Well done chutzy

Accuracy in journalism, Sail-World and Rob Kothe are words not often associated. Don't think they have too many fans on SA.

Check out their Hobart list if you can be bothered - some hilarious photo bloopers there.

didn't see "audi centre melbourne" (or flirt) in the fleet list, what's happening there?

ok yep but i'm overseas, care to share?

He wouldn't dare! :o

He wouldn't dare! :o

Has Chris cracked the sads? :ph34r:

It's contagious, now the CYC is buying Giddy-Up's propaganda!

Stanley Race Propaganda

you idiot. :P

How was it mate? How are the mustaches developing?

Last time I did Stanley we crossed the Dolly just after dawn in Bass Strait. They had the canting keel back then and they came racing in at a truly impressive pace and passed about half a boat length behind us going a zillion knots quicker. They then did a sudden round up and dropped everything. We thought that they might have lost someone over the side, but it turned out they broke a jumper. The boat looked magnificent at full speed.

Melbourne offshore sailing and the calendar for big boat racing is probably the best in the country and ORCV play a huge role in that.

big boats yep...

little boats well, NO.. :(

guess I'll just have to go play in Europe...

cos.

It's contagious, now the CYC is buying Giddy-Up's propaganda!

Stanley Race Propaganda

mate...it's an anti Kiwi/ Melbourne conspiracy tune being played through the CYC from Geelong. Ask Mex...he knows everything

I'm gunna use the Sergeant Schultz defense: "I know nothing!"

ya know I was just going to say that about you Mex seeing you have a leave pass from the grey capitol...a helmet, grey great coat gun and gossip...yer there bro

Walrus as Colonel Klink....TPOT as Captain Fritz Gruber....Wharro as Hogan...Costanza as Corporal LeBeau and they are all trying to get out of Stalag Melbourne

could be onto something here Mex....Melbourne Big Boat Thread Great Escape

Still full of it <_<

Has Chris cracked the sads? :ph34r:

come on SA's, out with it

Now entered for the '08 Sydney - Hobart so obviously still playing the game.

Maybe he had to go to the races to win a shilling or two to keep the program going?

In CDs defence; when faced with 180 cold miles on the schnoz to Stanley which isn't exactly renowned for tropical weather or indeed for much at all, why would you bother?

when faced with 180 cold miles on the schnoz to Stanley which isn't exactly renowned for tropical weather or indeed for much at all, why would you bother?

so show up at the champagne, fairweather & sponsored glamour races and stay home with your bmw (or audi) when the going gets tough? yep that sounds familiar

so show up at the champagne, fairweather & sponsored glamour races and stay home with your bmw (or audi) when the going gets tough? yep that sounds familiar

Champagne is always a pre-requisite. Glamour is a given too. Fair weather not as much of a problem as the Audi has four wheel traction control.

I must say though, there has been a disturbing infiltration of cheap sparkling wines at regattas in place of the preferred Champagne, or at least Methode Champenoise.

when faced with 180 cold miles on the schnoz to Stanley which isn't exactly renowned for tropical weather or indeed for much at all, why would you bother?

As much as I'd love to agree with you, they already qualified for Hobart, so why bother ?

Sensational job people.

So what did happen?

is the patient OK?

Is this guy out of ICU/CCU yet?

Sensational job people.

So what did happen?

is the patient OK?

Is this guy out of ICU/CCU yet?

Not sure of his location but word is he is making a good recovery. Round of applause to all involved, great work by good people! Smart move too by SYC to install the defibrilator after a similar event in the bar last year.

Still full of it <_<

fuck off idiot

Flatbag:

Smart move too by SYC to install the defibrilator after a similar event in the bar last year.

Do you think I could get a set of photocopies of the SYC emergency procedures? There is someone I want to give them to as an example.

Our defibrillator is usually behind two locked doors and nobody knows we have it anyway.

Oh and Phb, Fuck off.