Heat 1..4th

Heat 2..2nd

Heat 3..4th

Heat 4..3rd

Heat 5..ABN

Heat 6..DNS...MUST OF BEEN OVER 20KNOTS :(

Heat 7..1st

looks like you were chasing some sterns at some stage Don

Quite right. I'm sure you're not interested in the specific reasons why that occurred in the earlier races e.g. small "IRC" rig (small main, small spinacker) as opposed to designed rig in latter part of season

Heat 6. Yes it was breezy, and we were short on crew. SC is not a boat to race in close quarters, in breeze, without key permanent crew.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me which Div 1 boat from last season can match race SC other than Bullistic

looking at smooth criminals position before withdrawing the list would appear long.

You are right not a good day last Saturday. Part of the price we are paying for having my new rig turn up 6 weeks late, no on the water tuning time for the boat or me before racing which was obvious by our lack of speed upwind off the start line.

The PBO rigging has made a huge difference to SCs trim so we are kind of starting from scratch.

Some serious right hand wind shifts on the first leg (we were on the left) saw us way back.

Also, first race in breeze for our new female trimmers and foredecky.

Finally, the vang broke just after the 30kt squall hit while we were rounding the top mark which ended our day.

Not a good day result wise, but we now have a much better handle on the tune alterations required, and the girls now know not to stand when trimming the kite in breeze!!!!

So Rossco has finally had the op. Nice skirt he was wearing on Sat !

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

re: pig rooters

testy lot are'nt ya!

mind you dont' pull a heartstring.

anybody notice a few boys from Cookson's making expensive noises downstairs on Living Doll?

less than a week in country and out of the water getting serious work before first race.

wonder if it will be playing this w'end and with whom?

i seem to recall some stinky breath didn't share my view on this either

fuck it

now let's not cherry pick those results

Range series 2007-2008 div 1 over the line "Smooth criminal"

Heat 1..4th

Heat 2..2nd

Heat 3..4th

Heat 4..3rd

Heat 5..ABN

Heat 7..1st

Quite right. I'm sure you're not interested in the specific reasons why that occurred in the earlier races e.g. small "IRC" rig (small main, small spinacker) as opposed to designed rig in latter part of season

Heat 6. Yes it was breezy, and we were short on crew. SC is not a boat to race in close quarters, in breeze, without key permanent crew.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me which Div 1 boat from last season can match race SC other than Bullistic

looking at smooth criminals position before withdrawing the list would appear long.

You are right not a good day last Saturday. Part of the price we are paying for having my new rig turn up 6 weeks late, no on the water tuning time for the boat or me before racing which was obvious by our lack of speed upwind off the start line.

The PBO rigging has made a huge difference to SCs trim so we are kind of starting from scratch.

Some serious right hand wind shifts on the first leg (we were on the left) saw us way back.

Finally, the vang broke just after the 30kt squall hit while we were rounding the top mark which ended our day.

Not a good day result wise, but we now have a much better handle on the tune alterations required, and the girls now know not to stand when trimming the kite in breeze!!!!

So Rossco has finally had the op. Nice skirt he was wearing on Sat !

So a bit more attracted to men rather than woman are we? :blink:

Not that there is anything wrong with that :lol:

Balltearer:

anybody notice a few boys from Cookson's making expensive noises downstairs on Living Doll?

less than a week in country and out of the water getting serious work before first race.

wonder if it will be playing this w'end and with whom?

Nah mate, just fitting a canting keel.

Lipton cup this weekend - time to see who walks the walk and not just talks the talk.

After some time down here, my summation is that the "Melb Big Boat Fleet" is generally SHITE!!!!

With very few exceptions, the standard of the fleet is crap compared to the northern fleets.

sailing up there teaches you how to maximise your opportunities and minimise your mistakes otherwise you get caned every race. Last week range race was a perfect example of how the fleet down in Melb cant handle anything over a moderate port Phillip sea breeze. Retirements (maintenance issues?), round ups and chinese gybes (crew competence issues) and generall f*ck ups (including going around the wrong mark when leading div 1) are all just examples of the amatuer efforts down here.

bring it on!

Lipton cup this weekend - time to see who walks the walk and not just talks the talk.

After some time down here, my summation is that the "Melb Big Boat Fleet" is generally SHITE!!!!

With very few exceptions, the standard of the fleet is crap compared to the northern fleets.

sailing up there teaches you how to maximise your opportunities and minimise your mistakes otherwise you get caned every race. Last week range race was a perfect example of how the fleet down in Melb cant handle anything over a moderate port Phillip sea breeze. Retirements (maintenance issues?), round ups and chinese gybes (crew competence issues) and generall f*ck ups (including going around the wrong mark when leading div 1) are all just examples of the amatuer efforts down here.

bring it on!

Looks like we got us another troll dudes :lol:

Seem to remember a Melbourne crew of amateur part time weekend warriors was good enough to hand the panties back to the "All Star" fleet at Hammo this year. Sorry we don't reach your exalted standards; perhaps it would be best for all if you were to go back to whatever pond you crawled out of. After all, they don't ever have crew competence issues, chinese gybes, fuck ups or retirements up there to offend your delicate sensibilities, now do they?

Grow up sunshine or fuck off.

"Seem to remember a Melbourne crew of amateur part time weekend warriors was good enough to hand the panties back to the "All Star" fleet at Hammo this year."

their tactician last sturday was a Sydneysider who put them OCS at the first start.

but Malato wouldn't have seen that from a div2 boat would he?

Malato:

sailing up there teaches you how to maximise your opportunities and minimise your mistakes otherwise you get caned every race.

Are you seriously suggesting that sailing in Sydney harbour offers challenging weather conditions apart from picking wind shifts and dodging fairies? And I do mean fairies.

And allow me to be the first to say it...... Fuck Off Newbie.

Watched a few nice chinese gybes and round ups today in the last race of the day :ph34r: , with Chutzpah probably taking the prize.

The racing seems tight in Div A with 2 points separating Cougar, Audi Centre Melbourne and Shogun.

Rumour is that Gavin Brady was on board the Shogun. A little over the top you would think but maybe a sign of where things are headed.

A little over the top

how?

Last time I checked the lipton regatta was only a 2nd day, 2nd tier event even in Victoria. Fair enough if it was Geelong Week or Docklands Invitational, but anyway if true it don't seem to be doing any good.

A little over the top

how?

Last time I checked the lipton regatta was only a 2nd day, 2nd tier event even in Victoria. Fair enough if it was Geelong Week or Docklands Invitational, but anyway if true it don't seem to be doing any good.

what? Gavin Brady isn't allowed to do that? would have thought him being there would've been good for any tier event. Even in Victoria.

sounds to me more like a sailmaker doing the right thing and providing expertise with their product.

we've all read this thread. should be no problem for you blokes to knock off Gavin Brady...don't know why you are worried

A little over the top

how?

what? Gavin Brady isn't allowed to do that? would have thought him being there would've been good for any tier event. Even in Victoria.

sounds to me more like a sailmaker doing the right thing and providing expertise with their product.

we've all read this thread. should be no problem for you blokes to knock off Gavin Brady...don't know why you are worried

I'm more than a little out of touch with the Melb. scene, but, who the fuck is Gavin Brady? Tello?

"Seem to remember a Melbourne crew of amateur part time weekend warriors was good enough to hand the panties back to the "All Star" fleet at Hammo this year."

their tactician last sturday was a Sydneysider who put them OCS at the first start.

What boat is Malato sailing on? I gather from his comments it is winning.

And before anyone states the obvious, SC is not sailing the Lipton as I am in South America for a couple of weeks.

And before anyone states the obvious, SC is not sailing the Lipton as I am in South America for a couple of weeks.

And suffering high altitude boredum? :P

BTW We have to stop going out in 25+ with 270kg on the rail, a little scarey :blink:

"Challenge" with mast head kite sailed well enough to finish in amongst the Div 0 boats

in the Lipton Cup. So much for Lipstick on a pig.

Progressive Series Results for Lipton Division A IRC

IRC Handicapping and Low-Points Scoring Results - Count all Races

Last Racing Held on 16/11/2008 at 10:00.

Sail Yacht Skipper 1 2 3 4 Total Standing

SM5200 COUGAR II D. Whiteley 1 8 1 1 11 1

SM2 CHALLENGE L. Abrahams 6 1 7 3 17 2

SM2008 AUDI CENTRE MELBOURN R. Dare 3 3 5 6 17 2

SM1000 GEORGIA G. Ainley 2 7 9 4 22 4

R50 SHOGUN R. Hanna 5 5 2 10 22 4

B26 REVERIE Woodward 9 9 3 2 23 6

B2 JUST A MINOR HICKUP P Coleman 7 6 4 7 24 7

R33 CHUTZPAH B. Taylor 4 4 11 8 27 8

SM6083 SCARLET RUNNER R. Date 8 2 8 13 31 9

SM6115 SIERRA CHAINSAW M. Mollison 11 11 6 5 33 10

B331 AUDACIOUS Clinnick 10 10 13 9 42 11

R41 LAURELLE R Borrett 12 13 12 12 49 12

B9797 NINETY SEVEN C. Saunders 14 14 10 11 49 12

H6110 SAMSKARA D. Stoopman 13 12 14 14 53 14

G4646 EXTASEA P. Buckholtz 17 17 17 17 68 15

R1200 SPIRIT OF DOWNUNDER L. Ford 17 17 17 17 68 15

Back to the Lipton.

Word has it some of the larger participants are not very happy with the antics of a large and very new yacht during the long Sunday race.

Any truth in that rumour??

Probably an understatement from what I hear. The large and very new yacht was not even entered. Very poor form.

Malato:

sailing up there teaches you how to maximise your opportunities and minimise your mistakes otherwise you get caned every race.

Are you seriously suggesting that sailing in Sydney harbour offers challenging weather conditions apart from picking wind shifts and dodging fairies? And I do mean fairies.

And allow me to be the first to say it...... Fuck Off Newbie.

Hey Walrus, takes one to know one (fairies that is!)

And yes, the conditions in NSW are far more challenging than pussy port phillip. were you out during the Lipton cup with the rest of the jigglers?

and by the way, you werent the first to greet me - read post #1310 dumb ass!!!!

Hey Don, when are you back - I just want to tell some of my buddies that its safe out on the water for a little longer.

I'm thinking may be Malato is Wobble's sister?

Or maybe vice versa :lol:

More likely Wobbles "wife" :o

Hey Don, when are you back - I just want to tell some of my buddies that its safe out on the water for a little longer.

Hope to be back in time for the Jisuma/Tam O'Shanter since this is now part of the SYC aggregate.

Bye the way, whose idea was it to include this race in the aggregate? Are they trying to resurect an almost dead race by forcing boats to compete or have to suffer a race drop?

All "K" class boats cannot meet the Category 4 requirements and so are forced to drop this race, or are they to be awarded "average" points.

Trying to get a crew together for a Friday night start after having worked all day is an utter pain in the butt.

I understand that the new big boat has some damage from the trip over which is why it wasnt entered. Something about cracked bulkheads maybe.

As far as rating Melb to Syd and the merits of the fleets. Grow up idiot. I know I have seen chinese, prangs and breakages in Sydney and elsewhere. If you were close enough to see the carnage, then I suspect you werent at the front.

post-13013-1226910414_thumb.jpg

So it didn't come out to play. Whats the story? Could there be trouble in toyland?

bring it on!

Hey fuck stick, if Sydney's so fucking good, do us all a favour and get back there. I suspect Oxford Street is a favourite of yours. FUCKWIT !!!!

post-13013-1226910414_thumb.jpg

So it didn't come out to play. Whats the story? Could there be trouble in toyland?

I heard that the Doll did come out and play.

Dolly was out to play - Started without a hoist and made it to 100m from the top mark before dropping sails and heading back... She looked incredible!

No, we are both wrong.

Apparently they met at some place called Oxford Street, where ever that is.

Its next to Regent St and if you pay $300 you can have it ! :rolleyes:

No, we are both wrong.

I am reliably advised that if you pay $300 in Oxford Street you can have it too.... :o

No, we are both wrong.

I am reliably advised that if you pay $300 in Oxford Street you can have it too.... :o

Really. There is this place in Old Kent Road you can have it for $60 because the $200 you pay at the next station is a rip off . So I'm told. ;)

No, we are both wrong.

Really. There is this place in Old Kent Road you can have it for $60 because the $200 you pay at the next station is a rip off . So I'm told. ;)

You been told yet Newbie?

No, we are both wrong.

You been told yet Newbie?

Ouch !

Anyway, in an attempt to get back onto the topic here's a few questions.

1. How's Rob Date's new boat coming along? Will it be too much to handle?

2. How are the Shogun boys going with their new boat?

3. Can anyone beat Cougar (even boats outside of Vic)?

4. First impressions of the new Dolly?

5. What is Coombsy up too?

6. Success or otherwise of the Div 0 concept?

My thoughts to the above for what their worth.

1. I have heard nothing about build progress. Maybe someone from SYC could give us an update.

2. Having alot of fun from what I hear. Results will surely improve with time.

3. No to the Vic boats. No to any boat for that manner. IMHO the best sailed and campaigned boat in Australia at the moment.

4. Looks nice but I hear rumours of issues?

5. ?????

6. Total cock up with split race courses. I hear many owners are very pissed off at having to race off Altona every week.

Anyone else got an opinion to share?

dbo

Anyway, in an attempt to get back onto the topic here's a few questions.

1. How's Rob Date's new boat coming along? Will it be too much to handle?

2. How are the Shogun boys going with their new boat?

3. Can anyone beat Cougar (even boats outside of Vic)?

4. First impressions of the new Dolly?

5. What is Coombsy up too?

6. Success or otherwise of the Div 0 concept?

My thoughts to the above for what their worth.

1. I have heard nothing about build progress. Maybe someone from SYC could give us an update.

2. Having alot of fun from what I hear. Results will surely improve with time.

3. No to the Vic boats. No to any boat for that manner. IMHO the best sailed and campaigned boat in Australia at the moment.

4. Looks nice but I hear rumours of issues?

5. ?????

6. Total cock up with split race courses. I hear many owners are very pissed off at having to race off Altona every week.

Anyone else got an opinion to share?

dbo

My opinion?

It will all end in tears.

I hear many owners are very pissed off at having to race off Altona every week.

I think you will find that:

1. The eastern shore of Port Phillip was last surveyed about 1959. My advice is that some of the bigger boats might find out about the accuracy of that 1959 survey the hard way if they want to race around that area.

2. On most Saturday afternoons there is enough going on off the St Kilda - Brighton - Sandy area that makes it problematic to have 20+ knot capable boats mixing it with small (and slow) fry.

3. The Div 0 fleet is not going to be allowed to race across the shipping channel since it has proved itself to be as clueless about the behaviour of merchant shipping as the local flathead fisherman.

That means get to the other side of the channel if you want to race.....and the closest area that meets that requirement is....Altona.

1. The eastern shore of Port Phillip was last surveyed about 1959. My advice is that some of the bigger boats might find out about the accuracy of that 1959 survey the hard way if they want to race around that area.

2. On most Saturday afternoons there is enough going on off the St Kilda - Brighton - Sandy area that makes it problematic to have 20+ knot capable boats mixing it with small (and slow) fry.

3. The Div 0 fleet is not going to be allowed to race across the shipping channel since it has proved itself to be as clueless about the behaviour of merchant shipping as the local flathead fisherman.

That means get to the other side of the channel if you want to race.....and the closest area that meets that requirement is....Altona.

And yet they raced us down the eastern side of the channel and across the channel twice on the Sunday around the cans race.

Cheer up lads, it could be worse - you might be sailing on Sydney harbour.

post-8605-1227143208_thumb.jpg

(Pic from flickr showing unusually un-congested bit of harbour in the foreground, maybe there's a jet-cat coming out of frame)

The Terra Firma guys will no doubt have reported back about the ridiculous folly of racing 50 ft yachts in the inner harbour. We crossed paths with them about 17 times on the Saturday of their regatta.

At least you have enough room on the bay to choose where you can race!

Cheer up lads, it could be worse - you might be sailing on Sydney harbour.

post-8605-1227143208_thumb.jpg

(Pic from flickr showing unusually un-congested bit of harbour in the foreground, maybe there's a jet-cat coming out of frame)

The Terra Firma guys will no doubt have reported back about the ridiculous folly of racing 50 ft yachts in the inner harbour. We crossed paths with them about 17 times on the Saturday of their regatta.

At least you have enough room on the bay to choose where you can race!

And that was a quiet day.

Heat 1..4th

Heat 2..2nd

Heat 3..4th

Heat 4..3rd

Heat 5..ABN

Heat 7..1st

Hi Gang - another Melbourne newbie here, with more pearls of wisdom to share....

New rig for SC.... any impact to AMS handicap?

And yet they raced us down the eastern side of the channel and across the channel twice on the Sunday around the cans race.

Closest area to whom Walrus? What's wrong with racing in the area south-west of SYC - plenty o' deep water, no channel problems. Last count 7 of the 10 (70%) Div 0 boats racing in Range come out of SYC - why do we travel to Altona?? Beaumaris is lovely at this time of year!

Gents,

I am considering moving to Melbourne from the UK. Was wondering if you could give me a rundown on where and what the best places to race are on the area?? what clubs would you recommend?what sort of sailing do they offer etc... who has the best bar?

any advice would be useful!!

Cheers

Pom

(soon to be a real one...)

I guess it depends..............

If you are a zillionaire looking to find a place for your Swan 60, then go to SYC, as long as you don't mind rubbing shoulders with fisherman, not being a "Royal" club and losing the Association cup to RYCV almost every year. http://www.syc.com.au/

If your idea of a fun day on the water is multiple drinks and fine food with a very exclusive crowd of Gentlemen, go to RBYC, they do race occasionally. http://www.rbyc.org.au/

If you really want to dodge seagull shit and drug addicts to get to your boat, go to RMYS. http://www.rmys.com.au/

And if you are not particular about who you sail with, or what sized boat they have, or how much it cost, know how to take a joke, and just love getting out on the water, come to RYCV.

http://www.rycv.yachting.org.au/

Gents,

I am considering moving to Melbourne from the UK. Was wondering if you could give me a rundown on where and what the best places to race are on the area?? what clubs would you recommend?what sort of sailing do they offer etc... who has the best bar?

Cheers

Pom

If you are looking for racing the best clubs are SYC or RVYC, the Etchells fleet sails out of RBYC. The largest fleet sails out SYC with that club winning the top 4 places in grand prix div at the lipton cup.

Apart from interclub bullshit, your best bet is to try sailing out of different clubs and decide for yourself.

Gents,

Cheers

Pom

If you are looking for racing the best clubs are SYC or RVYC, the Etchells fleet sails out of RBYC. The largest fleet sails out SYC with that club winning the top 4 places in grand prix div at the lipton cup.

Apart from interclub bullshit, your best bet is to try sailing out of different clubs and decide for yourself.

Well said - ignore the interclub rivalry crap.... and all have good bars! Check out the web sites listed above for more details, and come down to the clubs to decide for yourself. At first, probably best to come down to the Northern-end Clubs on a Twilight sailing night (Wed or Thurs).

Starting from the North West of Port Phillip and going clockwise, the keelboat clubs (ie excluding off-the-beach, dinghy clubs)....

Royal Yacht Club of Victoria - located in Williamstown, close to Melbourne's city. Along with SYC, strongest keel boat racing fleetin the Bay. Racing is mainly Saturdays and there is social "Twilight" sailing on Wednesdays in summer.

Hobsons Bay Yacht Club - located in Williamstown, near RYCV. Very informal, not much of a racing fleet.

Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron - located in "trendy" St Kilda, close to Melbourne's city. Reasonable keel fleet. Saturday racing and Wed Twilights (Summer).

Royal Brighton Yacht Club - located in Brighton. Reasonable keel boat fleet, home of Etchells fleet. Racing Saturday, twilights Wed (Summer).

Sandringham Yacht Club - located in Sandringham. Largest racing keelboat fleet, and home to most of the newer "hot shot" boats. Racing Saturday. Twilights Thursdays (Summer). Also have a social Wednesday afternoon series (if you don't have to work!). Building a big, new Clubhouse.

Mornington Yacht Club - down south end now - removed from rest of the above clubs. Some keel boat racing Saturdays.

Blairgowrie Yacht Squaron - really far south of Melbourne now. Some limited keel boat racing, dodging sand bars.

Royal Geelong Yacht club - for those in Geelong - west of Melbourne. Good keel boat racing Saturdays.

When you arrive, you can contact the clubs and ask about being put on crew placing lists etc

I guess it depends..............

If you are a zillionaire looking to find a place for your Swan 60, then go to SYC, as long as you don't mind rubbing shoulders with fisherman, not being a "Royal" club and losing the Association cup to RYCV almost every year. http://www.syc.com.au/

If your idea of a fun day on the water is multiple drinks and fine food with a very exclusive crowd of Gentlemen, go to RBYC, they do race occasionally. http://www.rbyc.org.au/

If you really want to dodge seagull shit and drug addicts to get to your boat, go to RMYS. http://www.rmys.com.au/

And if you are not particular about who you sail with, or what sized boat they have, or how much it cost, know how to take a joke, and just love getting out on the water, come to RYCV.

http://www.rycv.yachting.org.au/

thanks for the response gents. i certainly aint a swan 60 owner... more floating log and bed sheet fits my budget!

am happy to race pretty much anything i have no interest in the brass button brigade and arm chair admirals -

have been sailing FFs and crewing J109s recently.

a change in circumstance has lead to me considering being skint in the sun rather than the rain of scotland!!

Closest area to whom Walrus? What's wrong with racing in the area south-west of SYC - plenty o' deep water, no channel problems. Last count 7 of the 10 (70%) Div 0 boats racing in Range come out of SYC - why do we travel to Altona?? Beaumaris is lovely at this time of year!

And in the Range races, Div 1 also has to race in the Div 0 area - rather annoying.

Heat 1..4th

Heat 2..2nd

Heat 3..4th

Heat 4..3rd

Heat 5..ABN

Heat 7..1st

Hi Gang - another Melbourne newbie here, with more pearls of wisdom to share....

New rig for SC.... any impact to AMS handicap?

No impact to AMS rating.

Gents,

Cheers

Pom

Pom,

If you are moving to Oz, why not to Sydney - the racing is a much higer standard than in Melb.

If you are moving to Melb and cant change (work sometimes dictates to us all!!), then Sandringham Yacht Club is probably the best of the bunch. I tried all the major clubs (Sandringham, Brighton, Royal Melb, Royal Vic) when I moved here but settled on Sandringham mainly because the facilities were much better. It is the only club near Melb city with a floating marina and one where you dont have to walk a long distance to get to your boat. The standard of sailing is marginally more competitive than the other clubs as well with a larger club fleet and a larger selection of racing boats to choose from. The "Royal" clubs have relatively small div 1 fleets and much of the sailing seems to be in older, rounder and cruisier boats. (the same description can be applied to their crews as well.) These clubs have suffered in the past as their committees of management have been influenced by these cruising types who are happy to live in the past and if they do race, they generally race under Performance handicapping and not a measured system.

It depends on what you want to do. If you are happy sailing as a pasttime and not as a serious pursuit, welcome to Melb, if you aspire to achiving something better - move to Sydney.

No, we are both wrong.

Ladies, Ladies, please!

Sorry I havent got back to you earlier, (work trips and all). Sounds like you ladies know far more about Oxford street than I do - the voice of experience perhaps? Shame the same cant be said about your sailing skills.

No racing this weekend I believe. I remember the good old days (up north) when the only time you wouldnt sail is when the waves were so big in the harbour that you would get your surf board out instead of your boat - rare days indeed.

But then we are in Melbourne now.

Gents,

Cheers

Pom

Pom,

If you are moving to Oz, why not to Sydney - the racing is a much higer standard than in Melb.

If you are moving to Melb and cant change (work sometimes dictates to us all!!), then Sandringham Yacht Club is probably the best of the bunch. I tried all the major clubs (Sandringham, Brighton, Royal Melb, Royal Vic) when I moved here but settled on Sandringham mainly because the facilities were much better. It is the only club near Melb city with a floating marina and one where you dont have to walk a long distance to get to your boat. The standard of sailing is marginally more competitive than the other clubs as well with a larger club fleet and a larger selection of racing boats to choose from. The "Royal" clubs have relatively small div 1 fleets and much of the sailing seems to be in older, rounder and cruisier boats. (the same description can be applied to their crews as well.) These clubs have suffered in the past as their committees of management have been influenced by these cruising types who are happy to live in the past and if they do race, they generally race under Performance handicapping and not a measured system.

It depends on what you want to do. If you are happy sailing as a pasttime and not as a serious pursuit, welcome to Melb, if you aspire to achiving something better - move to Sydney.

Don't suppose you would consider taking your own advice?

Malato:

The standard of sailing is marginally more competitive than the other clubs as well with a larger club fleet and a larger selection of racing boats to choose from. The "Royal" clubs have relatively small div 1 fleets and much of the sailing seems to be in older, rounder and cruisier boats. (the same description can be applied to their crews as well.) These clubs have suffered in the past as their committees of management have been influenced by these cruising types who are happy to live in the past and if they do race, they generally race under Performance handicapping and not a measured system.

This is a strange statement, coming from a purported member of a club where half the marina is given over to fishing boats and the Committee is obviously influenced by flathead and snapper fishermen. Why don't you take Flatbags advice and move back to Sydney if life is so rosy up there?

Malato = Troll.

Yep, a Troll. Don't dignify turkeys like that with responses. If it's funny or intelligent then its OK - otherwise its like arguing with a 2 year old or a drunk person.

Did you guys sail in Melbourne last weekend? Our racing was abandoned - 30+ knots of breeze. Saw some very, very good and very, very bad sailing skills being demonstrated. We were out long enough to work up a thirst and short enough not to break anything.

I'm coming down to do the overnight race at SYC on Friday. It will be nice to have a change of scene.

Giddy Up - are you coming over to do that race?

Malato = Troll.

Yep, a Troll. Don't dignify turkeys like that with responses. If it's funny or intelligent then its OK - otherwise its like arguing with a 2 year old or a drunk person.

Did you guys sail in Melbourne last weekend? Our racing was abandoned - 30+ knots of breeze. Saw some very, very good and very, very bad sailing skills being demonstrated. We were out long enough to work up a thirst and short enough not to break anything.

I'm coming down to do the overnight race at SYC on Friday. It will be nice to have a change of scene.

Melbourne racing abandoned last Saturday - 30+, Gale warning, rain (for a change!) and hail. Don't think many (sane) people were too disappointed with the decision.

Malato = Troll.

Will be doing SORC out of MHYC next weekend so miss overnighter, looking forward to some Sydney warmth.

Serious fracture of the mast foot on Living Doll. Apparently went with a big bang.

More teething problems, or just way too light?

Hearing rumors that the laminate schedule for the hull frames was stuffed up and she's just a daysailer.

A lot of lead up/shakedown time lost before Hobart.

Hope they can get it sorted in time.

Old Doll on the Hard at Royals too.

Also saw Cougar in the yard at Sandy with rig out , stays and spreaders off.

Last couple of Div zero races have been pretty bruising, i wonder if they've got issues or just programmed maintenance.

Nothing obvious wrong with mast or hull.

Good to see Flirt on or near the pace lately and Georgia clearly improving with each race.

Gents,

Cheers

Pom

Pom,

Now that you are settled at Sandringham perhaps you should give some thought to becomming a member.

Gents,

Cheers

Pom

Pom,

Now that you are settled at Sandringham perhaps you should give some thought to becoming a member.

Yeah, there's probably quite a few of us who would be more than happy to interview you to see if you are suitably qualified to join Royal Sandringham Yachting Boating & Fishing Club. Perhaps we could arrange to meet you on the hardstand, near the KKC, just after dark one night ;) You bring the beer - that's a long standing tradition at RSYB&FC.

Oh and please be sure to bring some written references from your legion of legendary Sydney rockstar sailing mates. The ones that can write that is.

Will be doing SORC out of MHYC next weekend so miss overnighter, looking forward to some Sydney warmth.

You will feel at home at MHYC. There is a massive picture of Flirt right next to the front door.

Come to think of it - I think Cougar features pretty prominently on the web site home page too.

Good luck with the regatta.

Malato = Troll.

SYC's overnighter is tomorrow (Friday) night. What's the thoughts about these overnight races? Valuable as lead up to Christmas? "Dead Ducks" that need to be removed from programs? Good as a bit of variety? Looks to me that most of these overnight races across all the Melbourne clubs are struggling to get numbers, even when playing with the formats.

Malato = Troll.

SYC's overnighter is tomorrow (Friday) night. What's the thoughts about these overnight races? Valuable as lead up to Christmas? "Dead Ducks" that need to be removed from programs? Good as a bit of variety? Looks to me that most of these overnight races across all the Melbourne clubs are struggling to get numbers, even when playing with the formats.

In the good old days all the major clubs had their annual overnighter around the bay and the old Geelong regattas had an overnighter as part of their program too. Great fun races but no one seems to want to do that sort of sailing here anymore.

Mind you, there are probably still a few blokes who mark those half dozen or so race dates on the family calendar each year and turn up at home slightly the worse for wear sometime the following day :lol:

In the good old days all the major clubs had their annual overnighter around the bay and the old Geelong regattas had an overnighter as part of their program too. Great fun races but no one seems to want to do that sort of sailing here anymore.

Mind you, there are probably still a few blokes who mark those half dozen or so race dates on the family calendar each year and turn up at home slightly the worse for wear sometime the following day :lol:

Geez guys. My wife might read this thread so let's talk up the importance of this race, OK. I'm taking the day off work too!

How's Melbourne weather looking - should I pack my jumper and raincoat, or is it going to be shorts and t-shirts?

The running of this overnight race and connecting it to the Summer Aggregate pointscore is a very sore point with most at SYC if I am any judge.

With the greatest respect to Sail Comittee, participation in overnight races has been on a steep decline for many years because nobody wants to do them.

So to preserve a race that nobody is interested in we effectivly force them to do it by connecting it with a series everyone wishes to win.

So the overnighter is Cat 4 and the Aggregate is exclusivly Cat 6 save for that race.

We now have a heap of boats that cannot be scored because either they cannot reach 4 or are not incined to do so because of the additional cost/hassle for just one race.

To further make it harder take it from the traditional time it has been run (post Xmas) and bring it into that exiting weather period in Melboune, Spring.

But let's really piss people of by combining Div 1 & 0 together on the longer course (approx 83nm) and award the overall trophy to only boats that compete in the IRC Division, despite the fact that the same boats are also being scored in both AMS and PHD for Summer Aggregate purposes.

So,we are being asked (in fact forced) to sail in a race that nobody want's to do, held during the busiest time of the year, when the weather is at it's most unstable and won't be considered for an overall win because the boat we sail doesn't have an IRC Certificate, but will happily be scored on AMS and PHD.

What were they thinking???????

The running of this overnight race and connecting it to the Summer Aggregate pointscore is a very sore point with most at SYC if I am any judge.

With the greatest respect to Sail Comittee, participation in overnight races has been on a steep decline for many years because nobody wants to do them.

So to preserve a race that nobody is interested in we effectivly force them to do it by connecting it with a series everyone wishes to win.

So the overnighter is Cat 4 and the Aggregate is exclusivly Cat 6 save for that race.

We now have a heap of boats that cannot be scored because either they cannot reach 4 or are not incined to do so because of the additional cost/hassle for just one race.

To further make it harder take it from the traditional time it has been run (post Xmas) and bring it into that exiting weather period in Melboune, Spring.

But let's really piss people of by combining Div 1 & 0 together on the longer course (approx 83nm) and award the overall trophy to only boats that compete in the IRC Division, despite the fact that the same boats are also being scored in both AMS and PHD for Summer Aggregate purposes.

So,we are being asked (in fact forced) to sail in a race that nobody want's to do, held during the busiest time of the year, when the weather is at it's most unstable and won't be considered for an overall win because the boat we sail doesn't have an IRC Certificate, but will happily be scored on AMS and PHD.

Interesting (and angry?) comments, but I think a little inaccurate. My reading is that AMS and PHD can win the Jisuma Trophy - across all divisions. Tam is IRC only (as it always has been since IRC came about). This is different to last year where short course = Jisuma (AMS & PHD), longer course = Tam (IRC), but its consistent with day-sailing where Div 0 & 1 sail a longer course than Div 2 & 3. As I see it, no one is "forcing" anything... if you don't like it, go play golf.

Interesting (and angry?) comments, but I think a little inaccurate. My reading is that AMS and PHD can win the Jisuma Trophy - across all divisions. Tam is IRC only (as it always has been since IRC came about). This is different to last year where short course = Jisuma (AMS & PHD), longer course = Tam (IRC), but its consistent with day-sailing where Div 0 & 1 sail a longer course than Div 2 & 3. As I see it, no one is "forcing" anything... if you don't like it, go play golf.

You obviously miss the point :blink:

You have definitely missed the point.

Your reading of which SSI? version 1 or version 2 posted on 16/11, which are apparently incorrect. There may be a version 3 issued tomorrow.

Also last year (and a number of years prior to that) the Jisuma/Tam O'Shanter was NOT included in the Summer Aggregate, and rightly so.

I would not compete in this race unless it was necessary to do so as a heat of the Aggregate. I choose not to compete in these type of races because of the design of my boat.

I have no issue with longer overnight races requiring higher Safety Category levels provided they are not forced upon me by including them in the "normal" Saturday race series.

Yes, you completely missed the point, maybe you play golf too much?

Geez guys. My wife might read this thread so let's talk up the importance of this race, OK. I'm taking the day off work too!

How's Melbourne weather looking - should I pack my jumper and raincoat, or is it going to be shorts and t-shirts?

Weather shit as usual so suggest a drysuit would do the job for tonight. :(

Your reading of which SSI? version 1 or version 2 posted on 16/11, which are apparently incorrect. There may be a version 3 issued tomorrow.

Also last year (and a number of years prior to that) the Jisuma/Tam O'Shanter was NOT included in the Summer Aggregate, and rightly so.

I would not compete in this race unless it was necessary to do so as a heat of the Aggregate. I choose not to compete in these type of races because of the design of my boat.

I have no issue with longer overnight races requiring higher Safety Category levels provided they are not forced upon me by including them in the "normal" Saturday race series.

Doesn't the Aggregate allow for drop races?

If it doesn't then go to the start, start the race and then withdraw and go back to your berth before it gets dark and scary. That way you get points for dnf instead of dnc which might save your hide at the end of the series.

No one is making you do this race. The decision to race or not is ultimately and entirely yours. Your views don't take into account that some of the participants might actually WANT to do this race in their more suitable yachts as part of the aggregate so why should they be denied that opportunity to suit you and your one trick pony?

If it doesn't then go to the start, start the race and then withdraw and go back to your berth before it gets dark and scary. That way you get points for dnf instead of dnc which might save your hide at the end of the series.

No one is making you do this race. The decision to race or not is ultimately and entirely yours. Your views don't take into account that some of the participants might actually WANT to do this race in their more suitable yachts as part of the aggregate so why should they be denied that opportunity to suit you and your one trick pony?

Again. You missed the point.

Because the race is INCLUDED IN THE CLUB SATURDAY AGGREGATE SERIES, I have no choice but to compete so that I do not have to drop the DNC or DNF if I followed your logic.

I repeat, I have no issue with these types of races, if you WANT to sail them that's OK, but they should NOT be forced upon all Saturday Clug Aggregate Series competitors, as a number of boats which compete every weekend cannot fulfill the Cat 4 requirements.

Again. You missed the point.

Because the race is INCLUDED IN THE CLUB SATURDAY AGGREGATE SERIES, I have no choice but to compete so that I do not have to drop the DNC or DNF if I followed your logic.

I repeat, I have no issue with these types of races, if you WANT to sail them that's OK, but they should NOT be forced upon all Saturday Clug Aggregate Series competitors, as a number of boats which compete every weekend cannot fulfill the Cat 4 requirements.

It isn't forced. They, and you, always have the choice to make as to whether you race or not.

At the end of the day, it's a pissy little club aggregate (pointscore) that very, very few sailors give a rats arse about any more. Go back over the result sheets for the last ten years and see how many real competitors are fighting it out to the bitter end each year. Then tell me it matters.

You don't race IRC which leaves AMS (weighed and measured) and YV (arbitrary, allegedly performance based but entirely open to manipulation) both of which are wank handicap systems with blatant dishonesty among (some) competitors, administered by spineless officials who have never, ever had the guts to enforce their own compliance rules and therefore meaningless in reality. I'm talking about those who make significant but unreported changes to their boats, crews and equipment in breach of the stated rules of both systems. Protests along those lines have never been upheld to the extent that they just don't get lodged anymore; whats the point!

And you really take some sort of glory in winning under those handicap systems in your gun to a knife fight racer? Get a life pal.

(Not dissing your boat btw, I do think Sm Cr is a great boat and one of the more "honest" yachts in the fleet considering the sort of racing we really do around this pond)

Rant over.

Yes, you completely missed the point, maybe