Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

anyone got any info on the Tam O protest ?

Refer to the separate thread started by Rossco labelled Rules Question. Abandonment stands & found that Race Committee acted in accordance with the rules given information available - but no opinion offered whether that decision was actually the "right" one!

Also, the Protest Committee commented that the race could perhaps be re-sailed?? However, I think this is unlikely... The Notice of Race for the Series states "There shall be no resails". Could this debarcle be the death of the SYC overnighter?

Perhaps the decision by the PC now makes this a possibility.

Resail the race at Cat 4 would seem to be sensible and fair to the 180 odd people that spent upwards of 12 hours racing for no result.

Opinions?

I have spoken to the owners of the three boats that the Protest Committee aknowledged had found and correctly rounded R1, and all have indicated they would like the race resailed if possible

Day race? Night race? Passage race?

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

Refer to the separate thread started by Rossco labelled Rules Question. Abandonment stands & found that Race Committee acted in accordance with the rules given information available - but no opinion offered whether that decision was actually the "right" one!

Also, the Protest Committee commented that the race could perhaps be re-sailed?? However, I think this is unlikely... The Notice of Race for the Series states "There shall be no resails". Could this debarcle be the death of the SYC overnighter?

Resail the race at Cat 4 would seem to be sensible and fair to the 180 odd people that spent upwards of 12 hours racing for no result.

Opinions?

I have spoken to the owners of the three boats that the Protest Committee aknowledged had found and correctly rounded R1, and all have indicated they would like the race resailed if possible

A rules question for the experts - can the NoR for the series be overruled (or amended) to allow a re-sail once the series covered by that NoR has started?

Agree that a re-sail may be a fair outcome for those that participated - assuming they want to re-sail -but given how full the summer program is, it maybe difficult to:

a) find a weekend to run the race (that does not clash with another race in the series); and

B) get the crews to commit to yet another race (especially an overnighter) as many boats already find it difficult to get a full crew togther.

If it was re-sailed, it should be in the same format as the original - ie Cat 4 overnighter.

My opinion - let it die, and concentrate on the rest of the season.

Opinions?

I am pretty annoyed that 12+ hours of racing was for nothing, compared to the boats that couldn't be bothered.

And, whilst i understand that the correct 'process' was followed by the RC, the race should really only be ABN if a boat protested, and I don't really get how any boat could say they were disadvantaged as such. Most (all ?) wasted time trying to find the bloody thing - no-one i know of gained a significant advantage by somehow 'cheating'. I know we wasted at least 20 minutes looking for it - did we get an advantage - not fucking likely.

So, a resail could be a good idea - but it should only be open to the boats who gave a shit in the original race, and make it a daytime, sunday if necessary, fixed mark course of around 20 or so miles. That would make the end result as fair as can be, IMHO.

Opinions?

A rules question for the experts - can the NoR for the series be overruled (or amended) to allow a re-sail once the series covered by that NoR has started?

Agree that a re-sail may be a fair outcome for those that participated - assuming they want to re-sail -but given how full the summer program is, it maybe difficult to:

a) find a weekend to run the race (that does not clash with another race in the series); and

B) get the crews to commit to yet another race (especially an overnighter) as many boats already find it difficult to get a full crew togther.

If it was re-sailed, it should be in the same format as the original - ie Cat 4 overnighter.

My opinion - let it die, and concentrate on the rest of the season.

Rule 88.2(a) provides that 'The NoR may be changed provided adequate notice is given'.

Fitting another 100 mile overnighter into the summer is going to be difficult, and I understand from this thread that there are some that will be particularly happy to see this race drop out of the Pointscore.

Remember it's the OA, not the RC that owns and has to approve any change in the NOR. Given that they have once made the decision 'no resails', then what new facts or reasons are there for them to change their minds? If I was involved in that decision I think I would be thinking that it was all too hard and that abandon was a good decision to stick with.

Brass

Well done to Nick B, Tiny Elf & Co on Terra Firma for their Rolex series victory.

No late withdrawals this time. Sydney bastards. :ph34r:

Well done to Nick B, Tiny Elf & Co on Terra Firma for their Rolex series victory.

Yeah had a good regatta. 2 1st on day one set us up. The first race sailed well, boats in front made mistakes let us in. Second race the fleet missed a shift at the start and started at the wrong end of the line gave us a 50 meter head start, all over from there. The next 2 days sailed clean 2's and 3's over 4 races. The last day Kirribilli hunted us at the start of both races as you would expect, we played conservative as all we needed were average results so sail clean.

Won by 2 points from Kirribilli (who managed to gain 2 points on last day).

Now for the hobart. Not looking like our weather but a fun down wind slide.

Yeah had a good regatta. 2 1st on day one set us up. The first race sailed well, boats in front made mistakes let us in. Second race the fleet missed a shift at the start and started at the wrong end of the line gave us a 50 meter head start, all over from there. The next 2 days sailed clean 2's and 3's over 4 races. The last day Kirribilli hunted us at the start of both races as you would expect, we played conservative as all we needed were average results so sail clean.

Won by 2 points from Kirribilli (who managed to gain 2 points on last day).

Now for the hobart. Not looking like our weather but a fun down wind slide.

Skipper of Kirribilli (SN) was probably still smarting after copping a reaming from the PBO for being the one responsible for not having TP 52 Quests IRC cert revalidated in time for last weeks Big Boat Race which they would have won. Ouch...

Judging by your previous posts no doubt you have a financial interest?

no i just want to bet my bets matched up!

the only way i can do that on Betfair is find some one to accept then. i am happy to take your money if you think my odds are good. if you think i`m giving a shit price put up your own odds.

put your money were you mouth is.

Keep this sh1t out of the thread....

the only way i can do that on Betfair is find some one to accept then. i am happy to take your money if you think my odds are good. if you think i`m giving a shit price put up your own odds.

That's a bit weak.

How about fuck off, the sport does not need this shit.

Ah, mate. A few people know that you work for Betfair. ;)

That's a bit weak.

How about fuck off, the sport does not need this shit.

So you’re saying that sailing does not need sponsorship. Betfair is a proud sponsor of the L2H, Should they take the money away from the DSS? Away from the sailing community.

Well its up there with the golden arches sponsoring little athletics if you ask me

So you’re saying that sailing does not need sponsorship. Betfair is a proud sponsor of the L2H, Should they take the money away from the DSS? Away from the sailing community.

No.

However, I you want to advertise your business and your support of sailing on SA, and draw people to your betting service, take out a SA advert.

If you want to piss the SA community off, and end up with a whole bunch of sailors boycotting your business, keep doing what you're doing.

Betfair is a proud sponsor of the L2H...

And the sponsorship is very much recognised and appreciated by the entrants and the club.

It's great to see Betfair involved in sailing.

Don't let the professional SA negativity experts get to you.

Now we need some betting on L2H results in addition to S2H.

I'd put a few bucks on our boat for PHS or IRC (and very possibly lose my bet, but there you go...)

Some interesting matchups:

Asylum vs Creese Properties (Sydney 38's)

Tas Marine vs Crotty Legal/Dental (Thompson 920 vs Bakewell 45 Kiwi flyer)

Twice Five vs Crotty Legal/Dental (Northshore 33 vs Bakewell 45 Kiwi flyer :-)

Can anyone identify - taken before start of the ENTIRE Cock of the Bay Race. I think it was a spectator boat out of Royals. 28ish footer boat from memory. Can anyone PM me with an email and I will send high res photo to the father/daughter team.

Thanks

post-7197-1230882598_thumb.jpg

what happened to the new shogun in hobart??

We were just across from them so I saw it all first hand.

They washed it and flaked the sails. The crew went to the Customshouse and drank quite a lot of rum.

for 4 days straight!!!

In relation to Georgia, how's the insurance normally handled in these instances ? Do you just get some cash and you choose whether or not to build a new one or go buy something on the market or does the insurance company decide on that. Any suggestions for a replacement vessel ? Personally I'd like to see another TP52 in Melbourne.

In relation to Georgia, how's the insurance normally handled in these instances ? Do you just get some cash and you choose whether or not to build a new one or go buy something on the market or does the insurance company decide on that. Any suggestions for a replacement vessel ? Personally I'd like to see another TP52 in Melbourne.

Well on the cards.

Well on the cards.

Hey, 3 TP's in Melbourne works for me, the more the merrier.

New Veloce is not as big as 50'. A little birdie told me she was delivered into Melbourne from China before Christmas. Old Veloce now resides in Townsville, NQ.

Veloce was in China but I think the finishing touches are being done in Melbourne? Rumour is she is upsidedown in a shed in bayside Melbourne having the interior finished..

On the 52 front I have seen the future and it is indeed bright and scarlet. :ph34r:

On the 52 front I have seen the future and it is indeed bright and scarlet. :ph34r:

if I read correctly between the lines that for W & Bhudda?

Nah the new scarlet runner, should be launched about may.

Here we go with that echo again. I had that 6 times last week T.

• 2 weeks later...

Immensely sad to note the passing last week of former Brighton Commodore David Atkinson, a top sailor in keelboats, Jubes and Etchells and a bloody good bloke; truly one of the finest gentlemen of the sport. Sincere condolences to family and friends.

Well sailed mate.

Fair winds DA.

An interesting article from Sail-World today . . . . . a leak from the Cougar camp trying to create some interest or just the author speculating ???????

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/TP52-C...#46;./53642

Just a speculator. Whats to say Alan wasn't there looking at the new TP52 for Team NZ or just speaking to the builders of his current boat boat about mods all just speculation. Rumors do not make news they just make good fooder for SA.

An interesting article from Sail-World today . . . . . a leak from the Cougar camp trying to create some interest or just the author speculating ???????

Just a speculator. Whats to say Alan wasn't there looking at the new TP52 for Team NZ or just speaking to the builders of his current boat boat about mods all just speculation. Rumors do not make news they just make good fooder for SA.

come on elfy...she's for sale...just ask around your club

for sale before they get a rating smack mid year?

for sale before they get a rating smack mid year?

Understood! So you do think he will buy a farr 55. This is rumour trying to look like news and as things are going I think you will find alot of boats that were thinking of upgrading will stick with what they have got.

Rumours and inuendo are our domain on SA not for the so called news sites.

Yet another newbie journalist/tosser on Kothes trashjourno site upholding their long held raison d'etre: Never let the facts get in the way of a good story! :(

Have you read the drivel he pumped out on the ORCV site over Xmas race period? Must be bloody hard to type all that with just one hand, the other being continually otherwise occupied. :P

Doubt AW would have to go far to find a likely buyer at SYC; like the berth next door recently vacated?

Rumours and inuendo are our domain on SA not for the so called news sites.

Yet another newbie journalist/tosser on Kothes trashjourno site upholding their long held raison d'etre: Never let the facts get in the way of a good story! :(

Have you read the drivel he pumped out on the ORCV site over Xmas race period? Must be bloody hard to type all that with just one hand, the other being continually otherwise occupied. :P

Doubt AW would have to go far to find a likely buyer at SYC; like the berth next door recently vacated?

Williams passes on to Williams . . . . . . play on !

A dangerous day indeed! A bloody terrible day for the state of Victoria. 49 dead in the bushfires, but that number could double. 47C temperatures, 45-50 knot winds. A firestorm. As one survivor said "it rained fire".

post-1322-1234073259_thumb.jpg

post-1322-1234073249_thumb.jpg

A sad day indeed for the State of Victoria; now confirming 66 dead with many, many more yet to be confirmed. More than 700 ( Seven Hundred!!) homes destroyed and still counting, whole towns obliterated, hundreds injured and some of the bravest people you will find anywhere doing their darndest to quell the flames. Some of those firies have been fighting those fires for ten days straight. Unfortunately it isn't over yet. God bless them all.

Fires in NSW too where they have caught and charged a 31 year old CUNT with deliberately lighting fires. Wouldn't want to be him in the slammer but I truly hope he gets reamed in every possible ugly way.

I am shattered right now as I have just heard my old mate Brian Naylor has been found dead alongside the body of his beloved wife Moiree at Kinglake. Brian was a long time sailor and friend with whom I have cruised more than a few miles on his boat while he made excellent documentaries about the Australian coast a few years ago. He was best known as a former Channel 9 news reader here in Melbourne.

RIP Brian & Moiree

I am shattered right now as I have just heard my old mate Brian Naylor has been found dead alongside the body of his beloved wife Moiree at Kinglake. Brian was a long time sailor and friend with whom I have cruised more than a few miles on his boat while he made excellent documentaries about the Australian coast a few years ago. He was best known as a former Channel 9 news reader here in Melbourne.

RIP Brian & Moiree

agreed an absolute gentleman and a lovely lady, had the pleasure of making some sails for his trimaran, he did a series of doco's on the islands of bass strait. Good viewing, what a horrible way to die.

RIP

This is just awesomely bad, anyone old enough might remember the day the sky went black in 1983 and it rained burnt leaves in Melbourne for three days (see avatar, left- can't take credit for the photo don't know who took it, would love to know)

Feel quite helpless just watching the news, 130+ dead, 750+ homes lost- just unbelievable, never thought we'd see anything like Ash Wednesday again

:( Hope there's some rain with the southerly

This is just awesomely bad, anyone old enough might remember the day the sky went black in 1983 and it rained burnt leaves in Melbourne for three days (see avatar, left- can't take credit for the photo don't know who took it, would love to know)

Feel quite helpless just watching the news, 130+ dead, 750+ homes lost- just unbelievable, never thought we'd see anything like Ash Wednesday again

If that pic (your avatar) is the one I think it is, left foreground car park, right foreground jetty, it was taken taken at The Rock. The windsurfer ahead of the cloud was Greg Coutts, long time 14' sailor. Could you post the pic please, then I can confirm.

No. I don't know who took it.

Yes, a truly dark day and it is still going on - toll up to 173 dead - and authorities have only started to seach through all of the destruction. I fear where the toll will finish.

I for one am going to pass the hat around my club - or leave it on the bar on Friday night when we have a lot of members saddle up to the bar for a quiet one or two and make the donation on behalf of SA . The bush fire relief fund and all donations Australia wide - I think can be made at all or most major banks.

My heart goes out to them.

If that pic (your avatar) is the one I think it is, left foreground car park, right foreground jetty, it was taken taken at The Rock. The windsurfer ahead of the cloud was Greg Coutts, long time 14' sailor. Could you post the pic please, then I can confirm.

No. I don't know who took it.

Nah JG, I know the one you mean with Couttsy sailing and the chick jogging, it's not that one. This looks like it was taken from the deck of a boat in the SYC yard in the bit which is now hard standing, Maccas old shop is in the foreground. Found the shot on some US weather site, very small file but if I can find it again I will post it.

The dust was so thick that day the street lights came on

t

Very sad indeed, hopefully we'll get some rain soon and put an end to this prolonged missery.

On a different note, anyone heard any news from the Georgia camp and what they may be up to ?

Shopping overseas for a 52.

There's plenty on the market so might be able to get a good deal.

Very sad indeed, hopefully we'll get some rain soon and put an end to this prolonged missery.

On a different note, anyone heard any news from the Georgia camp and what they may be up to ?

Shopping overseas for a 52.

Espana per favor...

I took this photo on the afternoon of February 8, 1983 just as the north westerly front driving that cloud was about to hit at Mordialloc Beach. I had seen it building while driving back to town from Mornington and stopped to take this photo. By the time I got back in my car I was not able to drive at all with zero visibility,scorching heat, dust and fire debris in the air. The photo has faded over the ensuing 26 years but I remember being quite terrified when that hit.

post-449-1234397339_thumb.jpg