Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

Very dominant 12 minute over the line win correcting out to a 5 minute win in IRC over XLR8 by Living Doll in yesterdays SYC race in 5 to 10 knot breeze.

I noticed she had a new pin head main which no doubt rates better under International Ridiculous rating system, instead of the original square head which in my humble opinion looked much better.

So is there anyone able to beat her?

With all due respect, she only had to beat 3 others.

That seems to be a big fleet for Div 0 these days

Very strong rumour west of the bay is that the Div 0 concept is as good as dead after this season and next season we will be back to Div 1, 2 & 3 again. I wonder whether the Div 1 boats really want the bigger boats back? They have got used to not having to worry about the big boats and I think at Sandy the Div 0 boats have been excluded for winning any of the traditional trophies for the past few years.

So which TP52 have the Georgia's brought?

Div 0 boats have not been excluded from SYC trophies - this year anyway. Div 0 has SYC trophies allocated the same as Div 1, 2, 3 - as long as there are more than 3 boats competing (which seems to be a struggle for the non-Range races, particularly now that Georgia is no-more!).

Div 0 is stated (in Range NoR and SYC NoR) as "by application to and acceptance by YV". So if a boat does not want to be included, then they just don't apply! The default would be that they sail as Div 1, but that can't happen mid-series.

I think the best approach could be to leave Div 0 for selected events - eg Range, Geelong, Lipton, etc but revert back to Div 1, 2, 3 for the other "club" racing. Tricky part is how to treat the Div 0 boats in club aggregates (assuming they even care about these things!), where the Range races are part of the aggregate.

From a personnal perspective it has been very nice not having to worry about the Div 0 boats on the start line.

I believe the > 1.180 IRC rating cutoff should be continued but not by "invitation and acceptance by YV". It should be applied as per all other IRC, AMS, VYC rating bands.

Hey Rossco,

Guess what our new rating is?

Hint: You'll love it.

DC

Have you lost Rosco's phone number Don ?

No.

Phones don't work where I am, but internet does! go figure???

"International Ridiculous System" surely you jest.

No.

Did you seriously buy an RP 36 thinking that it would rate well under a system designed predominantly for cruiser/racers?

No.

Please don't complain about a rating system that you obviously have no interest in competing under.

Why? there are any number of threads in SA discussing the faults of IRC?

True, I have no interest in competing with boats that because there are called cruiser/racers they get a reduced hull factor e.g a certain Bull 9000, S36's to name two yacht designs.

Off to PHD you go where you can manipulate your performances and change sails to manufacture the result.

Care to repeat that to my face, jabber jaws?

Hey Rossco,

Guess what our new rating is?

Hint: You'll love it.

DC

Based on what is on the YV site, SC's AMS down from 1.026 to 1.008... quite a change... !!??

Oh happy days are here again......

And on a separate subject, I wonder how much I can get for NOT publishing certain yacht photographs taken 50 metres to leeward of the "gate" of the DIV 1 fleet on the second Sunday race in the recent SG regatta?

So many inflated egos, soooo many amaturish stuff ups saved for posterity.

DNF X 1.008 still equals DNF

How about you concentrate on geting to the finish line big shot.

What do DNF's have to do with "manipulate your performances and change sails to manufacture the result"

I don't see how I can do what you claim AND always DNF. The two are mutually exclusive.

Oh! and thankyou for the compliment!

Would anyone mind if I set up a new thread specifically for those that want to attack Don and for Don to respond to those attacks ?

Hear, Hear.

Why pick on me? what did I do to upset people? my poor marshmellow heart is melting!!!!

We certainly don't need another thread about Don. His attention seeking and often self aggrandising posts, usually immediately followed by a sycophantic supporting post from his joined at the hip pal Rossco, are getting a bit tedious here. If thats all we have in Melbourne sailing then God help us. Pick up the phone you two or get a room.

Would anyone mind if I set up a new thread specifically for those that want to attack Don and for Don to respond to those attacks ?

Not sure if this is such a good idea!

In these troubled times with the GFC, Georgia sinking and the Victorian Bushfires, it's good to have some certainty and normality returned to our lives, the recent return of Don and Rossco to this thread, reaffirms to us that the world as we knew it, hasn't been totally lost.

We certainly don't need another thread about Don. His attention seeking and often self aggrandising posts, usually immediately followed by a sycophantic supporting post from his joined at the hip pal Rossco, are getting a bit tedious here. If thats all we have in Melbourne sailing then God help us. Pick up the phone you two or get a room.

Hence the suggestion, so we can get the shit that goes on in here out of here.

RYCV anarchists?

Thats an oxymoron.

Didn't you used to be one? And who you callin' a moron? And don't you go dissing RYCV. It's a Royal Club after all -- with lots of queens :P

Just noticed that Saturday's Range race location for Div 0 & 1 has moved down closer to SYC with start boat off Green point.

See http://www.syc.com.au/newsitems/ClubMarine...turday21Feb2009

Good move! Travelling across to Altona was a pain, although I'm sure that the RYCV anarchists will have something to say... ?

That's cause Sandy are running it and the rest of the races in the series so I'm tipping they'll all be down that way until the last race.

PITA having to travel all the way to Sandy and back, just made the start and for the whole afternoon spent more time cruising down and back than racing.

Why can't selfish Sandies meet half way??

For the same reson that the Sandies have had to travel to Altona to race every week of the series.

Fair amount of carnage in the last Range race... Cougar, L/Doll, Shogun, XLR8 all had screw-ups that made it look like amateur-hour - in only 20kn!

Heard that L/Doll collected the hitch mark - doh! Anyone know what happened to her when she retired? Saw someone up the stick and kite in the drink.

MOB off 38 South and jib wrapped around prop was not pretty. Well done to Cougar team for going to 38 South's aid and retrieving the MOB!

PITA having to travel all the way to Sandy and back, just made the start and for the whole afternoon spent more time cruising down and back than racing.

Why can't selfish Sandies meet half way??

What, so you came from Geelong then ?

was 'don' out there?

S/Criminal seen heading back to SYC before the start

Surely not too windy again?

Is Don, is not so good... :(

Fair amount of carnage in the last Range race... Cougar, L/Doll, Shogun, XLR8 all had screw-ups that made it look like amateur-hour - in only 20kn!

Heard that L/Doll collected the hitch mark - doh! Anyone know what happened to her when she retired? Saw someone up the stick and kite in the drink.

MOB off 38 South and jib wrapped around prop was not pretty. Well done to Cougar team for going to 38 South's aid and retrieving the MOB!

Interesting how some boats get out of control, but still keep pushing it, Terra Firma had a fairly big broach, dropped the kite and relaunched fairly smartly, all up, didn't seem to set them back too much. For some of us, it might ruin our whole day! Seemed to be using a pretty large kite too!

RYCV anarchists?

Thats an oxymoron.

How are the Flathead biting down Sandy way?

They're biting in Williamstown :lol:

Sandy website is u/s again, $12mill budget for Battlestar Aquatica, $0 budget for web management :angry:

Anyone found the Range results from Saturday anywhere online?

RYCV anarchists?

Thats an oxymoron.

Sandy website is u/s again, $12mill budget for Battlestar Aquatica, $0 budget for web management :angry:

There were up on YV site Sunday for a short time, but were then pulled....

I'm interested in people's perceptions of the AMS handicapping system used in Victoria.

Does it seem to result in useful and fair ratings?

Any problems with using it?

AMS:

Basically just another excuse to hand out pickle dishes to the common herd.

Like IRC, it is plagued by the "secret component" factor.

If your boat rates well and you can win easily in all conditions then it's the most wonderful yacht rating system ever devised in the history of mankind.

If your fully optimised boat with brand new sails and the best crew money can buy rates over the moon and you couldn't win unless the rest of the fleet sank then it's a shithouse system devised by wankers to perpetuate old fashioned yacht design in the modern era.

Take your pick.

Dunno about your pond but it is also plagued with (some) owners who knowingly participate out of measured trim.

RYCV anarchists?

Thats an oxymoron.

http://www.yachting.org.au/site/yachting/r...range/index.htm

RYCV anarchists?

Thats an oxymoron.

http://www.yachting.org.au/site/yachting/r...range/index.htm

Close, but no cigar! http://www.yachting.org.au/site/yachting/r...123/05RGrp5.htm

I'm interested in people's perceptions of the AMS handicapping system used in Victoria.

AMS:

Basically just another excuse to hand out pickle dishes to the common herd.

Like IRC, it is plagued by the "secret component" factor.

If your boat rates well and you can win easily in all conditions then it's the most wonderful yacht rating system ever devised in the history of mankind.

If your fully optimised boat with brand new sails and the best crew money can buy rates over the moon and you couldn't win unless the rest of the fleet sank then it's a shithouse system devised by wankers to perpetuate old fashioned yacht design in the modern era.

Take your pick.

Dunno about your pond but it is also plagued with (some) owners who knowingly participate out of measured trim.

Sounds like a rating system.

Much cheaper than IRC I think.

It seems that no rating system can eliminate people who try to take advantage.

At least a (more or less) fixed handicap does away with rewarding mediocrity or failure and doesn't penalise success and hard work as much as the phs systems.

AMS aint too bad, with a few exceptions - Adams 10's & Young 88's in particular do quite well.

IRC is expensive directly due to Yachting Aus - they collect over $100 just to mail you a certificate - and they claim it is a cost-neutral exercise. :angry:

Sounds like a rating system.

Much cheaper than IRC I think.

It seems that no rating system can eliminate people who try to take advantage.

At least a (more or less) fixed handicap does away with rewarding mediocrity or failure and doesn't penalise success and hard work as much as the phs systems.

AMS was trialled alongside IRC in Hobart a couple of years ago Sparky. A couple of owners felt that they "couldn't compete" under IRC and their boats would rate better under AMS. YV waived the fee for the first year. We had to go through the hassle of remeasuring as AMS measured somethings that IRC didn't. There were negligible differences between IRC/AMS in terms of race results. When we had to pay the second year everyone reckoned it wasn't worth it and stuck with IRC. Don't think the clubs were too happy about having to calculate (and award) three sets of results either.

The boats that win in IRC still win under AMS but that is no surprise. The optimising that you may do for IRC such as masthead chute and long pole will actually work against you under AMS which from my observation favours fractional chutes.

There is something very quirky with the way that AMS measurs overhangs. If you lengthen the boat, such as by fitting a sugar scoop the rating will actually come down by about four points?? There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the ratings of different boats. For example an S80 rates 0.800 and the much faster Young 88 rates 0.812 and Farr 1020 rates 0.818. The hull shapes, overhangs and rig proportions of all three boats are similar.

If you are really interested in AMS you can do a comparison of IRC ratings against AMS ratings. This will show that boats such as Lotus 10, Beneteau 31.7, 36.7, Farr 1020, Young 88 and Carter 33 are better off racing AMS than IRC.

The boat doesn't need to be re-weighed for AMS. Take your IRC weight and then add the weight of your safety gear and I think the sheets as well to arrive at your AMS weight.

It is a cheap form of measurement system racing that actually provides very close racing, analyse the results from the Range Series and you can see that there are plenty of boats with certificates and the results are close. Any alternative to PHD has got to be a good thing.

So what happened to Sprint, to bust their keel box - aground ?

LH said they heard the splintering after tearing their #2 headsail. Not sure but probably caused when dropping off some waves upwind.

So what happened to Sprint, to bust their keel box - aground ?

LH said they heard the splintering after tearing their #2 headsail. Not sure but probably caused when dropping off some waves upwind.

Probably not a great endorsement for their Sailmaker!

results for range series on saty back up

http://www.yachting.org.au/site/yachting/r...d123/series.htm

Some suspicious-looking results for Division 3 ... heard that some of the D3 fleet sailed the wrong course (only sailed 2 laps and not 3). Seems that several boats subsequently retired (showing as RAF on results), however it also seems a couple of boats elected NOT to admit fault and retire - which would explain why they won the race by absurd margins on corrected time! Poor form!! :angry:

Rossco = gay

Apologies Rossco, it was part of challenge, no harm intended

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=86721

No offence taken as I'm guessing you were doing a simple search and arrived at the thread due to the term.

Word has it that whilst you aren't gay apparently the bloke you normally fuck knows one.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

Some suspicious-looking results for Division 3 ... heard that some of the D3 fleet sailed the wrong course (only sailed 2 laps and not 3). Seems that several boats subsequently retired (showing as RAF on results), however it also seems a couple of boats elected NOT to admit fault and retire - which would explain why they won the race by absurd margins on corrected time! Poor form!! :angry:

By your post you are calling out the winner of Div 3 as a cheat.

Have we got this right???

Big call :o

As I understand it a significant protest is being heard on this very matter...

... then Protest Committee will decide!

Noticed that SYC is running an open Forum for Keelboats on Wed 4th March at 7:30pm: http://www.syc.com.au/newsitems/KeelboatForum

Chance to get the grumbles on the table... based on this thread, this session should appeal to Melbourne-based anarchists? Will it actually result in any changes? Time will tell I guess.

Changes? R U Kidding?

Range race 5 Div 3 results have now changed on YV site! Additional boats showing as DNF or RAF.

Presumably the outcome of the Protest!

Range race 5 Div 3 results have now changed on YV site! Additional boats showing as DNF or RAF.

Not over yet. Looks like all suspicious boats are now DNF/RAF-ed. But I hope to get slotted into the (middle?) rankings sometime soon. Got a call from SYC yesterday. After protesting the committee, I was advised that I am getting redress for the committee pulling up the finish line before we got there and having to take our own time. They couldn't tell me what "redress" would mean to us yet. Still waiting... Sucks to be the slowest boat!

Not over yet. Looks like all suspicious boats are now DNF/RAF-ed. But I hope to get slotted into the (middle?) rankings sometime soon. Got a call from SYC yesterday. After protesting the committee, I was advised that I am getting redress for the committee pulling up the finish line before we got there and having to take our own time. They couldn't tell me what "redress" would mean to us yet. Still waiting... Sucks to be the slowest boat!

She wasn't slow when Max had her. Oh and FUCK OFF NEWBIE :D

She wasn't slow when Max had her. Oh and FUCK OFF NEWBIE :D

I didn't say SLOW, I said SLOWEST (in the fleet that is), you FW. Well, too slow for the SYC committee apparently ;)

AMS aint too bad, with a few exceptions - Adams 10's & Young 88's in particular do quite well.

IRC is expensive directly due to Yachting Aus - they collect over $100 just to mail you a certificate - and they claim it is a cost-neutral exercise. :angry:

it is. you're welcome to call me at any time.

it is....what ?

expensive ? Yes.

cost neutral ? You must be kidding.

it is....what ?

expensive ? Yes.

cost neutral ? You must be kidding.

it is cost neutral, not for profit. strange but true. you are welcome to call me.

it is cost neutral, not for profit. strange but true. you are welcome to call me.

I didn't do the calculations but I trust the person who did ...

"Are you aware that we pay almost twice as much for IRC certificates as people in the UK and we pay more than 400% as much for IRC ratings as people in the US?

Cost in AU$ per metre of boat length (using current exchange rates) UK $17.51 US $7.80 in Australia $30.25"

So if it really is cost neutral, why are the costs for YA higher than for the US or UK? And exchange rates aren't the answer. The costs were comparable last year when the AUD and USD were much closer.

An open answer from YA rather than a PM might be more reassuring to all.

"Are you aware that we pay almost twice as much for IRC certificates as people in the UK and we pay more than 400% as much for IRC ratings as people in the US?

Cost in AU$ per metre of boat length (using current exchange rates) UK $17.51 US $7.80 in Australia $30.25"

So if it really is cost neutral, why are the costs for YA higher than for the US or UK? And exchange rates aren't the answer. The costs were comparable last year when the AUD and USD were much closer.

Actually, much less.

From the IRC yearbook - revalidation costs 7.75 GBP per metre - this translates to AUD $17 per metre at current xchange rates.

So, for my 10.5 metre boat, i should expect to pay $179 AUD.

But YA wants me to pay over $300.

Funny that my AMS certificate costs around 5 bucks or less to post out.

Cost neutral ? You decide !

So GRS - if it is truly cost-neutral, break it down for us - how ? You seem to be in a position to answer, and if you don't answer, you are admitting that this is a cheap revenue grab aimed at a small cross-section of the yachting community - those that already pay thru the arse for most things - the owners.

Surely someone must know what Georgia looking at?

Rob Dates new project is looking the goods. Decks done, Bulkheads are in and the hull should be out of the mold sometime in the next fortnight.

Good times for those guys.

Carry on.

try reading back up the thread a bit....tp52's

Actually, much less.

From the IRC yearbook - revalidation costs 7.75 GBP per metre - this translates to AUD $17 per metre at current xchange rates.

So GRS - if it is truly cost-neutral, break it down for us - how ? You seem to be in a position to answer, and if you don't answer, you are admitting that this is a cheap revenue grab aimed at a small cross-section of the yachting community - those that already pay thru the arse for most things - the owners.

Any comments to make on this Jen? Seems Aus IRC owners are being shafted yet again by YA. Nothings changed. Gotta pay for the high flyer Olympians & their greedy coaches somehow I guess.

1. Anyone have an update on the damage to XLR8 after last Saturday's distance race?

2. In the YA 2007-2008 annual report it states a revenue of $271,911 for "Certificates" and expenditure of $82,144 for "Certificate Costs". Organisation-wide Postage is a separate item at $88,043, as is Printing and Stationary at $63,600, so my guess these are not part of the "Certificate Costs". But apart from two badly detailed graphs (the IRC graph shows 494 boats but is missing numbers for QLD and TAS, and the IMS has no number at all ? total less than 20) I have not been able to find a breakdown of numbers of IRC and IMS certificates issued.

Anyone want to do the math??

Actually, much less.

Any comments to make on this Jen? Seems Aus IRC owners are being shafted yet again by YA. Nothings changed. Gotta pay for the high flyer Olympians & their greedy coaches somehow I guess.

Hot topic with many of us IRC owners! Also check out the following article on YA site:

http://www.yachting.org.au/?Page=40388

Also interesting that Mike Urwin (Technical Director at the RORC Rating Office) is heading to Melbourne (specifically SYC) on 22nd April from 6:00pm for an IRC Owners Forum, so these issues should get some visibility at that forum.

Bookings for the IRC Owners forum in Melbourne can be made by following the links in the above article, then go to the YA Calendar.

Hot topic with many of us IRC owners! Also check out the following article on YA site:

Also interesting that Mike Urwin (Technical Director at the RORC Rating Office) is heading to Melbourne (specifically SYC) on 22nd April from 6:00pm for an IRC Owners Forum, so these issues should get some visibility at that forum.

Bookings for the IRC Owners forum in Melbourne can be made by following the links in the above article, then go to the YA Calendar.

I plan to be at the owners forum in Melbourne and can offer to take this question from the floor there.

But... my fiance is a bit pregnant and baby is due late April. If I am not there, it means I have found more important stuff to do.

As Dumpit has found, those of you who are YA members might look at the latest Nautical News email, or you can view it online at http://www.yachting.org.au/site/yachting/a...etter_2291.html. There is an article about YA looking to improve service to IRC owners which includes a link to a discussion document.

PHB says "- and if you don't answer, you are admitting that this is a cheap revenue grab". Oh please.

I will answer, but beg your collective forgiveness for having other stuff that needs to get done (so it might be a day or two before I get back in here). Stay tuned... I'll be back.

You are welcome to give me a call about any of the above - owners forum, discussion document or costs - 02 8424 7408.

I plan to be at the owners forum in Melbourne and can offer to take this question from the floor there.

But... my fiance is a bit pregnant and baby is due late April. If I am not there, it means I have found more important stuff to do.

As Dumpit has found, those of you who are YA members might look at the latest Nautical News email, or you can view it online at http://www.yachting.org.au/site/yachting/a...etter_2291.html. There is an article about YA looking to improve service to IRC owners which includes a link to a discussion document.

PHB says "- and if you don't answer, you are admitting that this is a cheap revenue grab". Oh please.

I will answer, but beg your collective forgiveness for having other stuff that needs to get done (so it might be a day or two before I get back in here). Stay tuned... I'll be back.

You are welcome to give me a call about any of the above - owners forum, discussion document or costs - 02 8424 7408.

Thanks GRS for the reply - seriously, i would've given you a week ! ;)

And a phone number at last. Do i ask for grs ?

But still no real answers - look forward to yr next installment.

when you call ask for glen stanaway, that way when i answer i'll know to put me on so i can speak to you

next installement coming soon.

when you call ask for glen stanaway, that way when i answer i'll know to put me on so i can speak to you

next installement coming soon.

grs - Where is the fun in Glen Stanaway? I would have at least expected you to make phb ask for Mr Wall or Amanda Rin or something equally humerous..