Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Flatbag - could not agree more - what a shocking thing to happen, the poor kid would have had every right to be terrified, I am finding that over the last year that the "mid week social race" has now become the Saturday race of 2 years ago with all and sundry getting maybe a little over the top, there are a lot of boats that seem to demand the right to punch above their weight and may I suggest talent!!

With all the centre course stuff and progressive racing - I believe a lot are not doing Sat's and having a "savage crack" at the WAGS trophy(S) - this year I have seen plenty of very interesting manoeuvres round the cans, a lot - not all - but some by small boats on larger boats, one day one of the big boats - right or wrong is not going to be able to get out of the way of someone who should really know better than to put themselves there.

Hope you see the kid out on the water soon and maybe with someone who would scare the living suitcase out of him - I stared sailing because it was enjoyable, not as you say - a full contact sport.

Other posts - do you think RBYC has any chance of any div. in the Ass. Cup ??

* I feel so miserable - it just like having you here. :rolleyes:

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

Damage during "Twilight races" is not limited to Melbourne.

I know of at least one dismasting and a couple of serious patch jobs required in Adelaide during this seasons Wednesday?Thursday night races.

Attempting to have all yachts finishing at the same time is a major drawback of pursuit racing.

One of the reasons I do not take SC out in these races is because she is very difficult (damned near impossible in >15 knots TWS) to manouver if the spotter, helmsman, jib and main trimmers are not concentrating 100%.

BlueV - it is not people being aggressive at starts or rounding, rather, they simply are not observing basic STBD/PORT or Windward/Leeward situations.

Don, most, if not all incidents in the twilights this season have happened at the start, not the finish.

Last blast this thurs - bring the b-atch out eh ?

BlueV - it is not people being aggressive at starts or rounding, rather, they simply are not observing basic STBD/PORT or Windward/Leeward situations.

Don, most, if not all incidents in the twilights this season have happened at the start, not the finish.

Last blast this thurs - bring the b-atch out eh ?

Even scarier! 2 maybe 3 boats starting at the same time! Talk about crowded start lines.

No, I'm interstate on Thursday and won't be back in time, so SC will remain tucked up safely in her pen.

phb, I agree that as you say - most people just not paying attention to the basics - both rules and seamanship - as mentioned in my earlier post, fighting above their weight and more importantly - their talent.

At one of the clubs I support ( take note JS ) we have an elite sailor with shitloads of experience in State, National and International regatta's etc - all clubs have someone like this - who "talks" on a very informal basis with a very non judgemental approach to other members about the rules and how they are meant to work.(not how a lot of others think they should work)

This is done "in house" with just a white board, no lecture, no questions to be answered by the students - only questions are to the "lecturer" - all follwed with a couple of QLD's.

Not all rules are covered in a sitting - you would be surprised how many people attend and in their own words "just to brush up a bit on things" - In this enviroment no one is made out to be guilty or innocent - it is just an casual talk using one of your own members who others are comfortable with and it works very well - we usually don't have any on water drama's for at least a race or two !!!

I have heard on the grapevine that at a particular club there is a very astute and knowledgable club captain who has come up with a litle quiz on rules for each twilight race, when you arrive you pick up a sheet of paper on which is a picture of a "situation" involving an or a possible incedent. The skipper and crew are asked to "produce" their tilt on who would have right of passage and why.Only takes a minute or two and gets a hundred or so people (who are just about to take to the water ) thinking about rules and right and wrong when sailing.

Striaght after the race the sailing results are read out and there is also a prize for the boat the had the rightest (??) answer to the quiz, with a club glass or a bottle of plonk or the lakes as a prize.

This club captain goes to the trouble of doing this each week which I think is a great effort and something that I sure could benefit other clubs - I wish the clubs that I was involved with had someone of his calibre and worth - maybe I will take it on as my pet project for next "summer season twilights"

Hats off to this guy.

At one of the clubs I support ( take note JS )

What the FUCK are you on about? It is obvious you are ONLY interested in bashing YV and will not accept the reality of your situation.

Support all the clubs you like. That is a good thing to do, but QUIT bashing people who do a lot for ALL sailing, just because you carry a grudge about something you don't want to tell us about.

Johnnysaint:

The facts are that the yachting authorities everywhere are necessary and they CANNOT be run for nothing.

I take issue with that, because in fact they were run for nothing by volunteers working out of the clubs themselves.

It is also well known that so called "Peak Bodies" have an extremely nasty habit of deciding that their agenda is more important than the agenda of their constituents and the tail begins to wag the dog, especially if Government grants are available to the tail. What then happens is that the Government and the "Peak Body" then proceed to fuck over everybody else as they pursue their own agendas and forget ours. This normally manifests itself as a refusal of Government to listen to anyone except the Peak Body, effectively shutting out everyone else. Thus the state of the sport becomes in Governments eyes what Yachting Australia or Yachting Victoria says it is.

Looking at Yachting Australia, all I see are a bunch of clowns focussed on that stinking pile of corruption, shite and monumental egos called the Olympics. You do SFA for me.

When I look at Yachting Victoria, I see a similar mess.

RBYC, RYCV, QCYC and God knows who else in other clubs have had monumental shit fights with Parks Victoria for around Five years now over their leases. Where the Fuck is Yachting Victoria? Up Parks Victoria's arse or something?

Where the fuck is an integrated plan for decent public marina facilities for Port Phillip and Westernport?

Where the Fuck is the constant public and private advocacy for the same?

Where the fuck is the organised resistance against the NIMBYs and greenies who not only don't want to see any more marina or club development, they actually want to destroy and remove what we already have?

Don't you fuckers understand that our marine facilities are crap by WA, Qld and even NSW standards?

Where the fuck was Yachting Victoria on the clusterfuck that is Martha Cove?

Where are you on the clusterfuck that is Queenscliffe harbour?

Where the fuck is an integrated plan to get schools to introduce sailing as a legitimate sport?

What are you going to do when, at the height of the current recession, if not sooner, some fucking property developer yet again makes a grab for waterfront land?

Where is your advocacy against the prevalent (and popular with the media) view that yachtsmen are a bunch of filthy rich arseholes that should be made to pay through the nose?

Where is your educational material for journalists and Government about the cost, average boat age, distribution, owner and crew demographics, participation rates of crew, and economic value (including job creation) to the State of yacht construction, marine retail and manufacture, vessel maintenance, repair and overhaul, as well as clubhouse activities? Don't you understand that without ammunition like that you cannot negotiate, let alone fight?

Do you know for example what the perimeter of Port Phillip bay is? (264 km). Do you know what the length of that is taken up by Yacht club facilities? (about 300m) Do you know that there was a major shitfight with the previous labor government under Cain/Kirner over public access to that 300m., and that we (the volunteers) won? Do you know about the huge effort, including public meetings, that was involved? Do you think you could repeat that effort today? I don't think so.

Where the fuck is the constant effective and unending promotion of yachting clubs and the sport to the General public (and the annual "learn to sail day" was borrowed from RYCV)?

Where the fuck is your safety promotion, educational material and collated safety statistics with which to keep the Government from legislating us out of existence? Don't you underrstand that the Water police would like nothing better then the ability to determine when it's "safe' for us to sail? Do you want us to have to get "sailing licences" to go with that asinine boating licence.

Why the fuck did my second club disaffiliate from you? Could it have been that the club refused to pay your Yachting Victoria tax since all members are members of other clubs?

Then there is your so called insurance policy. I know of someone who suffered Two broken legs in a Yacht race starting incident. Is she happy about your so called insurance policy?

Why is it that we can run world championships here involving 100+ boats and not one single fucking word about them makes it into the Victorian media? Could that be because you don't have a clue about media?

Or to put another way, why the fuck do the newspapers print the results of even the under twelve girls impaired netball league (south eastern division) yet not one yachting result?

And the answer is because you clowns have made our sport fucking invisible to the rest of the community and given the Government a licence to rape us over and over again at it's leisure.

And don't try and fob me off with the standard "it's all being done behind closed doors" line - that's bullshit because I have my own sources.

At one of the clubs I support ( take note JS )

What the FUCK are you on about? It is obvious you are ONLY interested in bashing YV and will not accept the reality of your situation.

Support all the clubs you like. That is a good thing to do, but QUIT bashing people who do a lot for ALL sailing, just because you carry a grudge about something you don't want to tell us about.

Hey JS - lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala!!!!! This site - I believe is the Melbourne Big Boat Fleet, shit man, get with the program.

* Some people cause happiness where ever they go -- others -- when ever they go !!

that's bullshit because I have my own sources.

Hoisin or BBQ? Hoisin goes well with a proper rape and pillage. Might be the go here?

Excellent rant btw...top notch Walrusing.

I should also add that if Yachting Victoria has ever accepted a Government grant, or wants one in future, it CANNOT represent the interests of the Yachting fraternity against the interests of Government, so when the shit eventually hits the fan it's a useless creation.

that's bullshit because I have my own sources.

Hoisin or BBQ? Hoisin goes well with a proper rape and pillage. Might be the go here?

Excellent rant btw...top notch Walrusing.

+1.

:lol:

And the answer is because you clowns have made our sport fucking invisible to the rest of the community and given the Government a licence to rape us over and over again at it's leisure.

Its not invisible every 4 years when all that does get coverage is the Olympic team (almost out numbered by support people) and in Vics case, once a year for that large dinghy regatta. Thats great for that limited number of people sailing at that level.

I guess that is the result of having its main government funduing source related to Olympic performance/participation. Perhaps if they tried another way to get cash, say related to the total number of participants or alike.

Like it or not it does appear that a great percentage of those participating in the sport feel some sort of dissatisfaction about the organising bodies. If they do feel that they are not being represented properly, then why not activley show us.

I sure hope we can get the 2 Bene 45's out in Div 1 and Div 2 & 3 there are usually a few who can put it together.

Just got to make sure that those who do perform are enticed out by the club soliciting them early and gaining a commitment.

Johnnysaint:

The facts are that the yachting authorities everywhere are necessary and they CANNOT be run for nothing.

I take issue with that, because in fact they were run for nothing by volunteers working out of the clubs themselves.

It is also well known that so called "Peak Bodies" have an extremely nasty habit of deciding that their agenda is more important than the agenda of their constituents and the tail begins to wag the dog, especially if Government grants are available to the tail. What then happens is that the Government and the "Peak Body" then proceed to fuck over everybody else as they pursue their own agendas and forget ours. This normally manifests itself as a refusal of Government to listen to anyone except the Peak Body, effectively shutting out everyone else. Thus the state of the sport becomes in Governments eyes what Yachting Australia or Yachting Victoria says it is.

Looking at Yachting Australia, all I see are a bunch of clowns focussed on that stinking pile of corruption, shite and monumental egos called the Olympics. You do SFA for me.

RBYC, RYCV, QCYC and God knows who else in other clubs have had monumental shit fights with Parks Victoria for around Five years now over their leases. Where the Fuck is Yachting Victoria? Up Parks Victoria's arse or something?

Where the fuck is an integrated plan for decent public marina facilities for Port Phillip and Westernport?

Where the fuck is the organised resistance against the NIMBYs and greenies who not only don't want to see any more marina or club development, they actually want to destroy and remove what we already have?

Don't you fuckers understand that our marine facilities are crap by WA, Qld and even NSW standards?

Where the fuck is an integrated plan to get schools to introduce sailing as a legitimate sport?

What are you going to do when, at the height of the current recession, if not sooner, some fucking property developer yet again makes a grab for waterfront land?

Where is your advocacy against the prevalent (and popular with the media) view that yachtsmen are a bunch of filthy rich arseholes that should be made to pay through the nose?

Where is your educational material for journalists and Government about the cost, average boat age, distribution, owner and crew demographics, participation rates of crew, and economic value (including job creation) to the State of yacht construction, sail building, vessel maintenance and repair, as well as clubhouse activities?

Do you know for example what the perimeter of Port Phillip bay is? (264 km). Do you know what the length of that is taken up by Yacht club facilities? (about 300m) Do you know that there was a major shitfight with the previous labor government under Cain/Kirner over public access, and that we (the volunteers) won? Do you think you could repeat that effort today? I don't think so.

Where the fuck is the constant effective and unending promotion of yachting clubs and the sport to the General public (and the annual "learn to sail day" was borrowed from RYCV)?

Where the fuck is your safety promotion, educational material and collated safety statistics with which to keep the Government from legislating us out of existence? Don't you underrstand that the Water police would like nothing better then the ability to determine when it's "safe' for us to sail? Do you want us to have to get "sailing licences" to go with that asinine boating licence.

Why the fuck did my second club disaffiliate from you? Could it have been that the club refused to pay your Yachting Victoria tax since all members are members of other clubs?

Then there is your so called insurance policy. I know of someone who suffered Two broken legs in a Yacht race starting incident. Is she happy about your so called insurance policy?

Why is it that we can run world championships here involving 100+ boats and not one single fucking word about them makes it into the Victorian media? Could that be because you don't have a clue about media?

Or to put another way, why the fuck do the newspapers print the results of even the under twelve girls impaired netball league (south eastern division) yet not one yachting result?

And don't try and fob me off with the standard "it's all being done behind closed doors" line - that's bullshit because I have my own sources.

I can't answer most of your questions because I am not a part of YV or YA.

I do know that most of your questions are about stuff that IS NOT in YV domain.

"Where the fuck is an integrated plan for decent public marina facilities for Port Phillip and Westernport?

Where the Fuck is the constant public and private advocacy for the same? " What the fuck has that got to do with YV?

"Don't you fuckers understand that our marine facilities are crap by WA, Qld and even NSW standards?" We all know that but WTF do you expect YV to do about it?

"Or to put another way, why the fuck do the newspapers print the results of even the under twelve girls impaired netball league (south eastern division) yet not one yachting result?"If the results of your events are not in the paper - it;s probably because your club told no-one.

"Why is it that we can run world championships here involving 100+ boats and not one single fucking word about them makes it into the Victorian media? Could that be because you don't have a clue about media?" see above.

We all know that no matter how much we might complain about it, it is extremely difficult to get anything about sailing in the media in Melbourne. YV DID manage to get some in last December. I saw it on TV & in the papers. You probably didn't look.

"Where the fuck is an integrated plan to get schools to introduce sailing as a legitimate sport?" See Docklands racing last weekend. It happens at the beginers level also. If you looked you would know.

"Where the fuck is your safety promotion, educational material and collated safety statistics with which to keep the Government from legislating us out of existence? Don't you underrstand that the Water police would like nothing better then the ability to determine when it's "safe' for us to sail? Do you want us to have to get "sailing licences" to go with that asinine boating licence." YV do represent ALL clubs collectivly with the various authorities. Did you know that MSV could (but don't) enforce the laws that all club training boats & all club powerboats involved in training should be commercially registered & in survey, and that anyone steering them must have a Coxswains? If your club tried alone do you think they would take any notice of a small group of people?

If YV has a "win" over any of the various "authorities" it would be a stupid thing to gloat over it publicly.

Why form a club? Because you can get things done as a group. Why have a Peak Body? DITTO - with more voice. United we stand. Divided we fall.

"Do you know for example what the perimeter of Port Phillip bay is? (264 km). Do you know what the length of that is taken up by Yacht club facilities? (about 300m) Do you know that there was a major shitfight with the previous labor government under Cain/Kirner over public access, and that we (the volunteers) won? Do you think you could repeat that effort today? I don't think so." I know all about that. Typical Labour stupidity.

PS I know how big Port Phillip is. I've raced around it over a 100 times.

Johnnysaint:

Where is your educational material for journalists and Government about the cost, average boat age, distribution, owner and crew demographics, participation rates of crew, and economic value (including job creation) to the State of yacht construction, sail building, vessel maintenance and repair, as well as clubhouse activities?

Do you know for example what the perimeter of Port Phillip bay is? (264 km). Do you know what the length of that is taken up by Yacht club facilities? (about 300m) Do you know that there was a major shitfight with the previous labor government under Cain/Kirner over public access, and that we (the volunteers) won? Do you think you could repeat that effort today? I don't think so.

"Where the fuck is an integrated plan for decent public marina facilities for Port Phillip and Westernport?

Where the Fuck is the constant public and private advocacy for the same? " What the fuck has that got to do with YV?

"Don't you fuckers understand that our marine facilities are crap by WA, Qld and even NSW standards?" We all know that but WTF do you expect YV to do about it?

"Or to put another way, why the fuck do the newspapers print the results of even the under twelve girls impaired netball league (south eastern division) yet not one yachting result?"If the results of your events are not in the paper - it;s probably because your club told no-one.

"Why is it that we can run world championships here involving 100+ boats and not one single fucking word about them makes it into the Victorian media? Could that be because you don't have a clue about media?" see above.

We all know that no matter how much we might complain about it, it is extremely difficult to get anything about sailing in the media in Melbourne. YV DID manage to get some in last December. I saw it on TV & in the papers. You probably didn't look.

"Where the fuck is an integrated plan to get schools to introduce sailing as a legitimate sport?" See Docklands racing last weekend. It happens at the beginers level also. If you looked you would know.

"Where the fuck is your safety promotion, educational material and collated safety statistics with which to keep the Government from legislating us out of existence? Don't you underrstand that the Water police would like nothing better then the ability to determine when it's "safe' for us to sail? Do you want us to have to get "sailing licences" to go with that asinine boating licence." YV do represent ALL clubs collectivly with the various authorities. Did you know that MSV could (but don't) enforce the laws that all club training boats & all club powerboats involved in training should be commercially registered & in survey, and that anyone steering them must have a Coxswains? If your club tried alone do you think they would take any notice of a small group of people?

If YV has a "win" over any of the various "authorities" it would be a stupid thing to gloat over it publicly.

Why form a club? Because you can get things done as a group. Why have a Peak Body? DITTO - with more voice. United we stand. Divided we fall.

"Do you know for example what the perimeter of Port Phillip bay is? (264 km). Do you know what the length of that is taken up by Yacht club facilities? (about 300m) Do you know that there was a major shitfight with the previous labor government under Cain/Kirner over public access, and that we (the volunteers) won? Do you think you could repeat that effort today? I don't think so." I know all about that. Typical Labour stupidity.

So you sailed 100 times in Port Phillip how big is Port Phillip ? :blink:

I have RACED AROUND it over 100 times. In the various overnight around the bay races that used to happen every second weekend about 20 years ago. Even one that was 350 miles long in a quarter ton Nationals.

Port Phillip is about 30 NM North/South and about 35 NM East/West.

Johnnysaint:

Ok Try this 1,042 Square Nautical Miles (1,930 Km2) a Lot of water to look after.

I sure hope we can get the 2 Bene 45's out in Div 1 and Div 2 & 3 there are usually a few who can put it together.

Just got to make sure that those who do perform are enticed out by the club soliciting them early and gaining a commitment.

Also meant to include JAMHU in Div 1

Also meant to include JAMHU in Div 1

FYI - I started a separate thread for the "pearls of wisdom" on 2009 Association Cup....

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=88269

Seems that I am not the only diner at this restaurant that thinks the service is shit - and to JS - you say "the reality of my situation" does this mean that you now agree that my situaton is real? And it is not just me there are hundreds who pay multiple times.

And "something that I don't want to tell you about" These items you refer to were mu first 2 questions to the body over 2 years ago - Why do I have to pay twice? And what do you do for the sport? These were directed to YV "face to face" and I have still not had any answers to this day.

You babble crap about how you think the rest of the fraternity is wrong and your precious YV is not in the wrong, but cannot or will not just find out the truth and admit it. I have at least in an earlier post tried to submit an alternative - you just block your eyes and ears and scream how it is all fine - well look at the posts - it's not all fine and it ain't just me.

How many people have to be wrong in your eyes before you may start to think there may be a problem, shit man - look at the post just above from hump. Stop getting angry and defensive, you may well benefit because you are an "otb" club - that fine - but that doesn't mean that other keel boat clubs should get fuck all - is this why you are so angry???? Do you just want it all??

Just listen and read the posts - I am sure that not everybody except you are wrong in this matter.

Now about the tread - get those Bennie's all crewed up and excited about the Ass. Cup - a division win is a division win, overall, it is a great weekend filled with lots of competition among all clubs with plenty of racing within the races.

I think it is going to be very hard to take Div 2 from Royals - that has always been a very strong team.

Also the Range this weekend - a few places ripe for the taking, hope that the weather is kind and we see a shitload of boats on the water - I'll be out there somewhere - hope to see you.

overall, it is a great weekend filled with lots of competition among all clubs with plenty of racing within the races.

Not really, only a select few boats from each club compete in the ass cup. Most club boats aint invited.

Ok Try this 1,042 Square Nautical Miles (1,930 Km2) a Lot of water to look after.

What's your point?

I thought you might like to know, you seem to know everything else. :rolleyes:

Seems that I am not the only diner at this restaurant that thinks the service is shit - and to JS - you say "the reality of my situation" does this mean that you now agree that my situaton is real? And it is not just me there are hundreds who pay multiple times.

And "something that I don't want to tell you about" These items you refer to were mu first 2 questions to the body over 2 years ago - Why do I have to pay twice? And what do you do for the sport? These were directed to YV "face to face" and I have still not had any answers to this day.

You babble crap about how you think the rest of the fraternity is wrong and your precious YV is not in the wrong, but cannot or will not just find out the truth and admit it. I have at least in an earlier post tried to submit an alternative - you just block your eyes and ears and scream how it is all fine - well look at the posts - it's not all fine and it ain't just me.

How many people have to be wrong in your eyes before you may start to think there may be a problem, shit man - look at the post just above from hump. Stop getting angry and defensive, you may well benefit because you are an "otb" club - that fine - but that doesn't mean that other keel boat clubs should get fuck all - is this why you are so angry???? Do you just want it all??

Just listen and read the posts - I am sure that not everybody except you are wrong in this matter.

So. 2 people disagree with me. Holy shit! I MUST be wrong.

I'll tell you why you pay twice. Because YOUR CLUBS ARE NOT DOING THE RIGHT THING! (I've said that several times but you won't recognize that fact.

Don't ask "the body" (YV) ASK YOUR CLUB. By your aggro attitude I'm not surprised they didn't answer.

I get no physical benefit from being affiliated with YV. I do so because without it we would be just a bunch of divided individuals .

Oh. And by the way, if my memory serves me correctly, the Association Cup is a YV event. Are you going to boycott it now?

PS I've got a keelboat.

What's your point?

Thank you for the compliment. Am I allowed to say you are very wrong? Or will I get more shit for it?

What's your point?

Thank you for the compliment. Am I allowed to say you are very wrong? Or will I get more shit for it?

would you believe 750 Square NM, Mr Smart

What's your point?

WTF?

What's your point?

WTF?

WTFF?

Sorry guys... have gone the healthy and low carb option...

Carry On ...

hey costanza...my popcorns gone and I think the cartoons are going to keep going for a while before the main event. Got any left over your way?

To address a couple of points from Walrus's latest ejaculation

"Where the fuck is an integrated plan to get schools to introduce sailing as a legitimate sport?"

Dont suppose you happened to see what was happening at Docklands last weekend? No? I didn't think so. There was yet another high quality Inter School Teams Racing event conducted over the two days with the cream of yachting admin in this state conducting the event. There were 8 schools involved this week, 8 more a couple of weeks ago with a bunch more to sail in May.

Guess who the organising authority was for that one? Yep, it was good ole YV, those same people copping a shit load of uninformed dissing from the collective ignorami currently frequenting this thread!

"Where is your advocacy against the prevalent (and popular with the media) view that yachtsmen are a bunch of filthy rich arseholes that should be made to pay through the nose?"

I take particular exception to your inference with this one. We are definitely not all filthy rich. :P

And as for Johnny Saint; I understand his long held nickname is "Gladys" because he's a bit of an old woman. That seems richly deserved on the evidence of what we read here!

Can we please resume normal transmission on this, the Melbourne Big Boat thread?

Perhaps the old women could start up a separate thread and continue their bickering away from here? Over to you ladies...

Now that is just plain confusing cos. Help a Sydneysider out here mate....we aren't very bright as you fellas know

is that Flattie, "Gladys" or Walrus?

mmmmm....with strawberry jam and creamy clots...sweeeet

To answer you Flatbag, yes I did happen to see the school sailing in Docklands - from about 500ft at 110 knots. If YV did that and consistently market sailing to schools over the next Ten years then more power to them.

As for that "ill informed" crap, from Flatbag and Johnny Saint, I have had plenty of conversations over at least the last Six years about the total abrogation of any responsibility for the development of the sport shown by our so called "Peak Body".

Get it through your thick fucking heads that if YV is a "Peak Body" it has to have a vision and a strategy for the sport that is worked through with its members so that there is what's called a "buy in".

To put it another way fending off pump out tank rules or licencing requirements is merely reactionary activity.

What we expect is a vision and strategy for the development of Yachting in this state and we don't fucking have one! Let alone seeing anything like a strategy being competently executed.

It should be obvious to the dumbest SA reader that the provision of yachting infrastructure, especially marinas and clubhouses, has to be a part of that strategy or you have no keelboat racing. If you have no public facilities, then you have no cruising either.

It should also be obvious that until Sandy and Brighton built their new marina facilities, very little has changed since 1956 when the breakwaters were built for the 1956 Olympics. That means that the sport has actually contracted in real terms, which can be seen in the abandonment of the "round the bay" overnight races and the falling entries for things like the Geelong Regatta. Are there New Yacht clubs spring up all around the Bay? Are their new marinas being built every year? Nope!

If you want examples of stupidity caused by a lack of input by a "Peak Body" look no further than the lack of sensible facilities - the inconvenience of Beacon Cove, the lack of public berthing in front of the Commonwealth reserve at Williamstown, the lack of accessible public berthing at St Kilda, the lack of the same at Half Moon Bay, the shitfight over Martha cove and Queenscliffe harbour, the lack of protection at St Leonards, and so on. Our infrastructure is crap. It;s infrastructure thats needed by sailboats and not much else, and that infrastructure is not capable of supporting the growth of the sport at all.

Clearly the sport is in decline, and our so called "Peak Body" doesn't really understand why or what to do about it.

One of the functions of any "Peak Body" is to compete for mindshare with both the Government and the General Public. If your sport has no mindshare with the general public, then it gets no Government attention. That means you don't get consulted, listened to and your wishes and wants are put behind every other sport.

To put it another way Fuckbag, how many fucking Sports stadiums have been built in Melbourne over the last Ten years ? About Five multi million dollar ones? How many public boating facilities has the Government built in the same time? Zip, nada, zilch. That is a direct result of yachtings lack of mindshare thanks to that fuckup called YV.

Heres another example, "Spirit of Mystery" arrives in Melbourne after an epic Five month voyage from Britain (ooops! Sorry Cornwall!) about Three hundred people waited for their arrival. Do you know how many saw them off in Cornwall? The answer is 20,000! Do you now understand the complete failure of YV to even understand that the profile of the sport with the general public is zero? Even the Hells Angels get more and better press.

As for the media profile of Yachtsmen as stuck up rich arseholes, what has YV done to disabuse the media of that misconception? Nothing!

What it means for all of you SA members is that you will progressively find fewer and fewer, and shorter and shorter races, as YV continues to pervert the sport to suit its own agenda and progressively alienates the rest of the sailing community.

I agree totally with your assesment of the lack of facilities around Port Phillip. They are woefull & have been for years. I think it's the same all round the country. It won't change unless sailing can get TV coverage like football does., which will never happen unless people die.

I don't know what can be done. If you do, then go down th YV and tell them. Or better still, start up a "Develop Port Phillip Committee" and do it.

As for the dwindling interest in those long overnighters we used to do. I don't think anyone wants to do that anymore. Hardly YV fault.

PS. Might have something to do with the high divorce rate amongst yachties 20 years ago.

I agree totally with your assesment of the lack of facilities around Port Phillip. They are woefull & have been for years. I think it's the same all round the country. It won't change unless sailing can get TV coverage like football does., which will never happen unless people die.

I don't know what can be done. If you do, then go down th YV and tell them. Or better still, start up a "Develop Port Phillip Committee" and do it.

As for the dwindling interest in those long overnighters we used to do. I don't think anyone wants to do that anymore. Hardly YV fault.

PS. Might have something to do with the high divorce rate amongst yachties 20 years ago.

Dunno about the divorce rate back then but I reckon some of them still have the overnighters in their season race schedules stuck on the fridge for the Mrs to see. Its really important to maintain the overnighter tradition :P

Can we please resume normal transmission on this, the Melbourne Big Boat thread?

Perhaps the old women could start up a separate thread and continue their bickering away from here? Over to you ladies...

Hoo Fucking Ray, well said sir !!!!

Sickening prang last Thursday nite at SYC Twilights when an 11M OD raped an 8m trailerable (with a small kid on board who must have been terrified) on the start line (See pix). Too many of these kinds of prangs happening these days with a couple of J24s on the SYC hardstand bearing similar wounds.

What happened to keeping a proper lookout? It's not supposed to be a contact sport.

post-13013-1238392574_thumb.jpg

I was going to start a thread a few weeks back about the disregard of common courtesy on the race course.

We were heading out to a start a few weeks back, sailing along on starboard with just a mainsail up. The boat is a 21 year old 60 footer, so she isn’t the most nimble thing around.

We were quite short handed on this particular race and had 4 people on the bow getting a jib out of the hatch, and the only person behind the mast was on the helm.

We had a s80 coming across on port, who was also heading for the start (still 30 minutes before any signals) and he was crossing our bow about .5 a boat length ahead of us where he tacked right in our path.

As we were doing around 7 knots, we were forced to bear away (with no one on the mainsheet) and before his sails were set we were beside him. I said to him without being aggressive “did you have to tack right there”

To that he replied “Who the fuck do you think you are, I can tack where ever the fuck I want” to which I replied, “it is for your own safety. If we were to have a problem and were to hit you, there is a good chance that you would have sunk”.

He then shouted to the skipper “do we need to go to the room and discuss how your crew talk on the race course”

Well that darn right pissed me off and got me going. I explained to him that it is for his own safety, that he not tacks so close to us when it is clear that we are short handed and for the simple fact that there was no one to windward of us proved that he was looking to cut us off. We weigh 10 tonnes and I agree that he can tack where he wants but why did he when he just sailing around before the start.

Later on in the race, he ran aground and ended up getting flogged.

Karma is a bitch

Shit slinging aside. In early March, with the etchells worlds, Melb was the focus of the worldwide sailing community. Apart from some of the media crap it was the best reagtta I have ever attended. Congratulations to all involved.

vego1049 - The Ethchell regatta was great and was the focus of world sailing, we had Olympic medalists from several countries, we had America's cup winners and sailors, we had State and National Champions, we had the elite of the elite right here in Melbourne - and I agree 100% - to all and sundry that were involved in any way shape or form - Congratulation and a big pat on the back and a hardy well done !!!!

It is a pity that we got no real media coverage or exposure to let people know what was happening right on our doorstep, the regatta media people tried, but what was needed was someone in a position representing or looking out for the sport to help out and take this golden oppurtunity to display it others via our media.

The organisers did a great job of helping people from other countries and interstate in getting results etc and what was required to back to their home bases via having a great "live" website which actually did mark rounding by mark rounding results, (first time I have noticed this much detail before) they did more than what you could ask for - the only thing we could have done with was am agent for the sport trying to do some productive marketing.

But vego1049 - you are right - a fantastic job by all

Hey, JS - Who was the last footballer who you happened to see die during footy reply or WOS?? I've been following closely for many years as I still do (Hawthorn tragic - many years not a bandwagon jumper) And a long bow to suggest divorce as to why people don't sail long races. Maybe it is because as Walrus hinted - it is because when you sail some where was fuck all infastructure or safety for you and in 20 years very little has changed..Plus - in some cases you are made to feel down right not welcome, I have heard that this is quite common at Martha Cove, although why would anyone want to go to Martha Cove, great a friendly club at Safety Beach but the marina ????

350 miles around the bay - you sure must have got good and dizzy !! It would have been called a weeklonger not an overnighter, wouldn't it ??

*He loves nature -- in spite of what it did to him

I think RVYC will win the Assoc. Cup again unless Sandy can select a team that can do the job.

Thanks tiny...

Finally something bout MBBF ..

Who's been requested to be part of the team for sandy ??

Will the new scarlet be available ???

Info here -

http://www.rycv.asn.au/sailing/Association...009%20Final.pdf

Also ..

where'd she go?

post-8325-1238546292_thumb.jpg

OLD SHOGUN Rogers46 Still in Gtown Now called Ocean Skins will probably be in assoc cup team with Syd 38 & DK 46 IRC

The Inglis has vbeen replaced then?

if so what has become of it?

Still in Gtown for sale this was the last of the inglis boats built by Mal Hart with 4''s more freeboard, originally called Advantedge out of Adelaide

It's getting tight at the top for the Range Series. Should make for an interesting last couple of races.

Who's your tip ? I'll go for Coombsy.

1 SM2008 AUDI CENTRE MELBOURN Chris Dare SYC 29.00 3.00 4.00 2.00 3.00 0.00A 0.00A 2.00 2.00 5.00 5.00 3.00 [7.00]

2 SM46 DEKADENCE Philip Coombs SYC 30.00 5.00 2.00 5.00 4.00 0.00A 0.00A 1.00 5.00 2.00 2.00 [5.00] 4.00

3 SM5200 COUGAR II Alan Whiteley SYC 33.00 4.00 1.00 7.00 2.00 0.00A 0.00A 13.00C [13.00C] 3.00 1.00 1.00 1.00

Range Series is coming down to the wire for several divisions:

Div 0 IRC - Audi by 1 point over Dekadence

Div 1 IRC - Reverie by 1 point over Exec Decision

Div 1 AMS - Horizon Spring by 1 point over Exec Decision

Div 3 AMS - Spellbound by 1/2 point over Rhiannon

Good quality of racing.... last race on Apr 4th will be critical.

Ranges series finale on Saturday..... who will take the prizes?

IMHO:

Div 0 IRC: Dekadence in a close one from Audi and Cougar

Div 1 IRC: If breeze, Reverie to sneak in over Exec Decision - Beneslow's proving to be winners.

Div 1 AMS: If breeze, Horizon Sprint will hold on. If no breeze, Exec Decision will win

Div 2 IRC & AMS: Failing a disaster, Surpise has these wrapped up already

Div 3 IRC: Assailant has it in the bag - good to see the S80's still performing well

Div 3 AMS: Rhiannon in another close one.

Performance: Who cares!

Rumour has it that the new Veloce (Elliot 45???) arrived at SYC yesterday? Mast has been down there for a couple of weeks. Looks like she is not far off now.....

Whats it rate

thats what it should be, but the beneteau first 45 rate a tiny little bit higher than a syd 38, so yes it is really odd that smaller boat rates higher than a bene first 45 isn't it ........by 100 points....but i expect everyone now realizes the bene first 45 should be around the 1.200 also

so as per previous go figure it

your right, a bit harsh 1.199....or really seriously at least 1.175 i would think minimum and they would still win everything in the world, but not by as much

is IRC a division of benetaeu?

your right, a bit harsh 1.199....or really seriously at least 1.175 i would think minimum and they would still win everything in the world, but not by as much

is IRC a division of beneteau?

Dont you mean rates less ?????

How can a bigger boat rate less ?

I hope this is sarcasm?

Maybe there should be a thread about the relative merits of a rule that can allow such a thing to go on.

and BTW 1.2 is a stretch

I believe there are numerous threads in SA discussing IRC failings.

But, I've been shouted down on that subject in the past.

Well done to Phil and the Dekadence crew for closing out the Range Series with a race to spare. A very consistent series overall.

Cougar was unlucky to not be able to have a 2nd drop and was clearly the best boat if you counted only the races they sailed. Tough to lose the series due to a couple of abandoned races and a desire to spend some time racing away from Melbourne.

Bad luck also for Chris and the Flirt crew going from first to third on the last day.

Turned out to be a nice day on the Bay; even if it was a little chilly first up.

Cheers

Mex

Well done to Phil and the Dekadence crew for closing out the Range Series with a race to spare. A very consistent series overall.

Cougar was unlucky to not be able to have a 2nd drop and was clearly the best boat if you counted only the races they sailed. Tough to lose the series due to a couple of abandoned races and a desire to spend some time racing away from Melbourne.

Bad luck also for Chris and the Flirt crew going from first to third on the last day.

Turned out to be a nice day on the Bay; even if it was a little chilly first up.

Cheers

Mex

+1.

Well done to all the Dekadence gang, and their win re-inforced the adage "you gotta be in it to win it". Shows that there is still life in the DK's when sailed well - even against the later designs.

Also good to see Terra Firma sailing well and up in the placings.

Looking forward to the new additions to the Div 0 fleet - new Scarlett and Georgia-replacement.

Congrats to the Reverie team as well for taking out Div 1 - great 1st season to the new

Bene(not so)slow F45's.

It's getting tight at the top for the Range Series. Should make for an interesting last couple of races.

Who's your tip ? I'll go for Coombsy.

1 SM2008 AUDI CENTRE MELBOURN Chris Dare SYC 29.00 3.00 4.00 2.00 3.00 0.00A 0.00A 2.00 2.00 5.00 5.00 3.00 [7.00]

2 SM46 DEKADENCE Philip Coombs SYC 30.00 5.00 2.00 5.00 4.00 0.00A 0.00A 1.00 5.00 2.00 2.00 [5.00] 4.00

3 SM5200 COUGAR II Alan Whiteley SYC 33.00 4.00 1.00 7.00 2.00 0.00A 0.00A 13.00C [13.00C] 3.00 1.00 1.00 1.00

Should have tried to get on him at sportsbet.

Final results posted.

A few nervous moments for Phil and the crew as Cougar was originally scored as first due to the application of three drops. Unfortunately for Allan, only one drop applied due to the two abandoned races.

Place Sail No Boat Name Skipper Sers Score

1 SM46 DEKADENCE Philip Coombs 36.0

2 SM5200 COUGAR II Alan Whiteley 38.0

3 SM2008 AUDI CENTRE MELBOURN Chris Dare 42.0

4 8880 GOLDFINGER Kate Mitchell 49.0

5 R33 CHUTZPAH Bruce Taylor 57.0

6 R55 LIVING DOLL M Hiatt 70.0

7 SM47 TERRA FIRMA N Bartels 79.0

8 SM460 XLR8 R Shaw 88.0

Mex

look out div 0 if the bene first 45's get into div 0

Div 0 minimum rating cutoff for 2008-09 season was 1.180, the Benny 45's rate 1.123 and 1.126 and the Cookson 12, No Fearr rates 1.124.

Unless the Div 0 break points change dramatically I cannot see them being invited.

If they were, they would be a long way behind with only themselves to play with.

what did smooth crim rate irc when it had a certificate,,,,

1) With only the reacher asy (North 3A) measured in, and "no roach" IRC mainsail. 1.181

2) with the full sized downwind asy and same main; 1.193

3) with the full asy AND original "large roach" mainsail; 1.211

1) With only the reacher asy (North 3A) measured in, and "no roach" IRC mainsail. 1.181

Would that be with or without the "water ballast"? :ph34r:

post-13013-1239079033_thumb.jpg

Good question.

1) As you know, a number of races have a category level requiring minimum of 2 litres of drinking water per crew member per day. As SC does not have built in water tanks, that's 3 of those containers.

2) the containers sit on the marina, as per your photo, the rest of the time because we are far better served by an extra crew member than carrying water that is not required by rules, and since we do not race under IRC we are not bound by a maximum crew number.

3) the few times my wife and I sail SC, not race, with guests onboard we've found it helpful to have as much extra ballast aboard as possible, for obvious reasons.

I trust the above has answered your query?

Good question.

1) As you know, a number of races have a category level requiring minimum of 2 litres of drinking water per crew member per day. As SC does not have built in water tanks, that's 3 of those containers.

2) the containers sit on the marina, as per your photo, the rest of the time because we are far better served by an extra crew member than carrying water that is not required by rules, and since we do not race under IRC we are not bound by a maximum crew number.

3) the few times my wife and I sail SC, not race, with guests onboard we've found it helpful to have as much extra ballast aboard as possible, for obvious reasons.

Yeah no worries Don :lol: .

And the companionway slide? What safety category allows you to race without carrying it aboard?

Good question.

And the companionway slide? What safety category allows you to race without carrying it aboard?

Safety cat 6 requires we have storm boards, the campanion slide which is shown in the photo is not a storm board. Would you care to enlighten everyone as to where the storm board is stowed aboard SC?

so smoothy was 1) With only the reacher asy (North 3A) measured in, and "no roach" IRC mainsail. 1.181

on IRC, how did you go against the bene first 45 which rates 1.123 on saturday rnge race.....terra firmer is about the same sped as the bene f45, what does that rate.....looks pretty simple

Good question.

Safety cat 6 requires we have storm boards, the campanion slide which is shown in the photo is not a storm board. Would you care to enlighten everyone as to where the storm board is stowed aboard SC?

You,re telling the story Don. I would assume that you would have some alternative and compliant means of closure for the cabin if that slide is not aboard when racing.

Good question.

You,re telling the story Don. I would assume that you would have some alternative and compliant means of closure for the cabin if that slide is not aboard when racing.

You posted the photograph and asked the questions, after I answered a question asked of me by Faster.

Looks to me like you have nothing better to do than walk around SYC marina photographing peoples belongings when they are out sailing. Some people may take issue with that practice.

so smoothy was 1) With only the reacher asy (North 3A) measured in, and "no roach" IRC mainsail. 1.181

on IRC, how did you go against the bene first 45 which rates 1.123 on saturday rnge race.....terra firmer is about the same sped as the bene f45, what does that rate.....looks pretty simple

SC was second to the Benny by approx 2 minutes in our last meeting.

Terra Firma's IRC is 1.189 and I believe she is faster through the water than Benny 45

But is she 6.6% faster or 6 minutes 36 seconds per 100 minutes racing time faster than the Benny 45? Probably not.

But of course IRC is fair according to those who benefit from it.