Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

soft

The question is - is it right for a newbie of only 7 posts to give the traditional Sailing Anarchy welcome of "FUCK OFF NEWBIE". :P

You outrank by 8 to 1.

By the way, have you been told?

No, I have not yet had the honour...

Then consider it done. "FUCK OFF NEWBIE".

I'll leave the rest to someone else.

why thank you, I am truely honoured!

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

Apollo Bay postponed mainly due to predicted sea state from the BOM - 6-7 metre swell plus sea state - orcv thought it a little dangerous for a Cat 3 event.

Check the home page at www.orcv.org.au

Trip down the bay would've been almost as crappy as the race.

<EDIT>

Checked the BOM - it's slightly worse

Winds: West to southwesterly 35 to 45 knots decreasing to 30 to 40 knots during the morning then decreasing to 20 to 30 knots by early evening. Seas: Up to 5 metres decreasing to 3 metres by the evening. Swell: Southwesterly 6 to 8 metres, decreasing to 4 to 6 metres during the evening.

I hear that Stay Calm is only a couple of weeks off arriving. Looking forward to seeing her hit the water. Will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get a handle on the boat. Would have to be a good couple of months I would have thought.

Recently seen sitting on the deck of a ship in Cape Town Sth Africa. Not too far away now. Boys are hanging out to get their hands on it.

These guys will have a great boat, it's one of the few Tp's that was ever built to really go offshore racing, the more recent generations are no good in Australia for various reasons.

None of them are, thats why they spend months getting extra frames and generally being strengthened when they get here.

There will be no work done when it gets here, she's ready to go.

ok good stuff.

Word is that she will be in Freo on monday. I will try to get down and take some pictures.

I hear that Stay Calm is only a couple of weeks off arriving. Looking forward to seeing her hit the water. Will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get a handle on the boat. Would have to be a good couple of months I would have thought.

Recently seen sitting on the deck of a ship in Cape Town Sth Africa. Not too far away now. Boys are hanging out to get their hands on it.

These guys will have a great boat, it's one of the few Tp's that was ever built to really go offshore racing, the more recent generations are no good in Australia for various reasons.

None of them are, thats why they spend months getting extra frames and generally being strengthened when they get here.

There will be no work done when it gets here, she's ready to go.

ok good stuff.

Word is that she will be in Freo on monday. I will try to get down and take some pictures.

That'd be great if you can.

Apollo Bay postponed mainly due to predicted sea state from the BOM - 6-7 metre swell plus sea state - orcv thought it a little dangerous for a Cat 3 event.

Check the home page at www.orcv.org.au

Trip down the bay would've been almost as crappy as the race.

<EDIT>

Checked the BOM - it's slightly worse

Winds: West to southwesterly 35 to 45 knots decreasing to 30 to 40 knots during the morning then decreasing to 20 to 30 knots by early evening. Seas: Up to 5 metres decreasing to 3 metres by the evening. Swell: Southwesterly 6 to 8 metres, decreasing to 4 to 6 metres during the evening.

Yeah, not a nice morning to be heading through the Heads.

Mex

Three and a half days if I remember correctly. Round & round & round & round the bay till we got dizzy. 2 cold fronts (not big ones fortunately)

We almost matched race with another boat (Col Anderson) and finished (2nd) within about 2 minutes of each other, about 6 hours ahead of 3rd.

Ahhh the Seaway. JS I remenber that race. Told my mum I was off to sail for the day. Mate they said 'won't take long'. Three days later when I turned up I was in deep shit with my folks.

Hi PP.

Which boat were you on? Do you remember the name of Col Anderson's boat? It won the series and ended up in the Tweed years ago, I think.

Hi John, that boat was Wonder Woman, named after Billie! She was a Davidson "Fun" Quarter Tonner. Had the pleasure of doing a RYCV Port Arlington & Return race with Ando on that. Learned a bit about trimming and a lot about rum drinking that day! Ando sold her to Kenny Male who kept her on the Noosa River for some years. No idea where she is now.

Ken sold it local boatbuilder Sandy Bauer who did a big refurbishment

Bauer sold it to Robbo as in Bob Robertson who put a wing on the centreboard for a while

Robbo sold it to Larry Dean at Southport who rolled it in with good chinese off Southport

It washed up on South Stradbroke Is in pieces

End of story

Well i rocked up just as the ship was leaving, but Mr Wolfe managed to get a few pics on Freo Doctor

http://freodoctor.com.au/index.php?option=...;id=14035#14035

She is all wrapped up and looking pretty below decks.

Can I borrow your login ?

either just creat a (free) account or otherwise you can access the forums through the drop down 'features' tab then 'sailing' (or whatever you want) and you're in. Its a pain how the forums aren't accessible from the front page without being logged-in.

t

Well i rocked up just as the ship was leaving, but Mr Wolfe managed to get a few pics on Freo Doctor

either just creat a (free) account or otherwise you can access the forums through the drop down 'features' tab then 'sailing' (or whatever you want) and you're in. Its a pain how the forums aren't accessible from the front page without being logged-in.

t

Good work, thanks mate.

t

Good work, thanks mate.

Yeah, thanks for leaving the key under the mat. Almost worth it to see that impressive bit of shrink-wrap in the RORO.

It'll be here real soon and photos will be forthcoming no doubt. Boys are champing at the bit to get on with the program.

yeah mate it is Swanno with the password ********

hahaha

I think I need to come over there for a week in June or July for work. I will try to drop into Sandy (or wherever she is) to see a real TP52. Last time I was there, I rocked up around 5 hours after the couple over there headed up to Sydney for the weekend.

yeah mate it is Swanno with the password ********

hahaha

I think I need to come over there for a week in June or July for work. I will try to drop into Sandy (or wherever she is) to see a real TP52. Last time I was there, I rocked up around 5 hours after the couple over there headed up to Sydney for the weekend.

Timing is everything. I don't reckon they'll be going anywhere for a while with it so there's a fair chance she'll be around. She is going to be kept at SYC.

cool stuff. Work trip is as good as booked. Two days playing on an oil rig in Geelong, then 3 days of annual leave.

Has there been any snow yet this year?

cool stuff. Work trip is as good as booked. Two days playing on an oil rig in Geelong, then 3 days of annual leave.

Has there been any snow yet this year?

They had 50cm in a day or so a couple of weeks ago and opened up Buller for a weekend, but it's been warmish since so I'd say it'd be all gone by now.

Any news on when splash down is due for the new Scarlet Runner ? Was supposed to be May some time I thought ???

Probably still a couple of weeks away, QB weekend maybe, but I hear that (Stay) Calm will arrive at Sandringham some time today.

Any news on when splash down is due for the new Scarlet Runner ? Was supposed to be May some time I thought ???

Probably still a couple of weeks away, QB weekend maybe, but I hear that (Stay) Calm will arrive at Sandringham some time today.

Some very excited lads with scissors in hand attacking skrinkwrap I would expect.

Some very excited lads with scissors in hand attacking skrinkwrap I would expect.

They're all over it like a cheap suit this afternoon. Willo wandering around with a shit-faced grin. Boat still largely shrinkwrapped but the mast is uncovered with Macca and Juggy on the case A bunch of lads checking out the boat and the wondrous travelling Container workshop/office /sailloft/engineering facility that came with it. Didn't get aboard but noticed a couple of Anarchists among the inspection team so maybe we'll hear more soon?

The new TP52 comes with every thing. It looks fantastic. Will be interesting to see it against cougar as they are very similar (both farr designs). The new boat has more down wind sail area so could be a bit of fun.

2 new boats seen out training off SYC on Saturday... new Veloce and Wicked (the new Bene First 40). Both looked v. nice. Great conditions for learning the ropes - 20kn SE, flat water.

New TP52 Calm still wrapped in plastic in SYC yard, and they have the best container/workshop/office ever seen locally. Packed full of sails too - 33 of them.

2 new boats seen out training off SYC on Saturday... new Veloce and Wicked (the new Bene First 40). Both looked v. nice. Great conditions for learning the ropes - 20kn SE, flat water.

New TP52 Calm still wrapped in plastic in SYC yard, and they have the best container/workshop/office ever seen locally. Packed full of sails too - 33 of them.

:unsure: Pity many of them will be over the IRC non-penalty girths and they won't be able to use them unless they declare the extra size.

:unsure: Pity many of them will be over the IRC non-penalty girths and they won't be able to use them unless they declare the extra size.

GA none too quietly shitting himself about the downwind sail area of the beast. Reckons there'll be tears!

Surely the sails that it came with are those it was rated with so shouldnt be too much surprise unless they look to change the rating again to optimise ?

TP52 "class" headsails and mainsails are wider in the girths than those of TP52 "IRC'd" sails. So whilst your get a shit load of sails with any TP52 you buy now a days, many of the are "class' sails not "IRC" sails. Given that Stay Calm has raced recently in IRC mode, I'm sure it comes with many IRC'd sails, but I'd guess many will also be "class" sails. I'm sure they sort it out, or have it sort out for them. As the boys on Quest found out, the more competitive your are, the more people look at how come you're are doing so well, be that rightly or wrongly.

so what's going on you guys? is the tp afloat yet, stick up yet?

how about some photos of that or Veloce

t

Last I saw during this week, TP still wrapped up in plastic in SYC yard.

so what's going on you guys? is the tp afloat yet, stick up yet?

how about some photos of that or Veloce

t

Last I saw during this week, TP still wrapped up in plastic in SYC yard.

It was hanging on the hoist midweek, plastic mostly off. It will be getting its first ever antifoul as it won't be drysailed any more :( Due to sail by ORCV Winter Series but only if fully ready. Crew last seen desperately searching through the Container Workshop Office for the Instruction Manual.

Guys,

I know it is late notice and all, but we have an oil rig on the back of a heavy lift sitting just out from Geelong. It is due to be offloaded some time tomorrow. If anyone can get a photo of two of it before it is offloaded it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Swanno

Guys,

I know it is late notice and all, but we have an oil rig on the back of a heavy lift sitting just out from Geelong. It is due to be offloaded some time tomorrow. If anyone can get a photo of two of it before it is offloaded it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Swanno

I should be down the club tomorrow afternoon, if I see anything I'll try and get some pics, no promises though

Guys,

Cheers

Swanno

I should be down the club tomorrow afternoon, if I see anything I'll try and get some pics, no promises though

Speaking of deliveries a new stick was placed next to Living Doll on Thursday evening

Speaking of deliveries a new stick was placed next to Living Doll on Thursday evening

First,

Fuck off Newbie. Long time lurky- no talky, eh?

Now that you're officially welcome, are you sure it's a new rig and not an old one on its way to WA?

t

First,

Fuck off Newbie. Long time lurky- no talky, eh?

Now that you're officially welcome, are you sure it's a new rig and not an old one on its way to WA?

t

ooohhhh I was wondering what Walk on the Wild Side was going to get?

Guys,

Cheers

Swanno

Check out the notice to mariners as there was a warnign issued and I recall seeing it with a pic.

Saw the rig at the entrance to Corio on sat and the semi submergable anchored in the bay. It sure looks wierd seeing 2 halves of a big ship like that from a distance with apparently nothing to join them

Guys,

Cheers

Swanno

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallph...?mmsi=306877000

Try this link from a cold/wet and windy Corio Bay

I'm surpised that non of you Melbournians have posted anything about the Womens keelboat ragatta at the RMYS last weekend.

It was a well run and very well sailed ragatta with boats and crews from all of the local clubs and crews from Adelaide and Tassie.

The Adams 10 Top Gun blitzed all three handicap divisions, 1,1,1,4,1,1 in IRC. Scarlet Runner, crewed by the Tassie girls who recently won the RYCT summer div 1 pennant, also had a good and very consistent series, 2,2,2,2,7,3 splitting the Adams 10's and getting an overall IRC second and AMS 3rd place after 6 line honours wins.

What most impressed was the quality of the crew work and tactics displayed by many of the boats. The Sydney 38 and several of the Adams 10's sailed the three day regatta with almost no errors and with no major screw ups at all. This was paricularly evident on day 3 when the wind came up, the rail meat weight quota was very low and the there were some real challenges, paricularly going downwind.

Amanda and her team of volunteers who worked the race for the RMYS did a great job and deserve recognition. It's hard to run a good series with boats of such widely divergent speeds in a single start but they managed to do it.

I'm surpised that non of you Melbournians have posted anything about the Womens keelboat ragatta at the RMYS last weekend.

It was a well run and very well sailed ragatta with boats and crews from all of the local clubs and crews from Adelaide and Tassie.

The Adams 10 Top Gun blitzed all three handicap divisions, 1,1,1,4,1,1 in IRC. Scarlet Runner, crewed by the Tassie girls who recently won the RYCT summer div 1 pennant, also had a good and very consistent series, 2,2,2,2,7,3 splitting the Adams 10's and getting an overall IRC second and AMS 3rd place after 6 line honours wins.

What most impressed was the quality of the crew work and tactics displayed by many of the boats. The Sydney 38 and several of the Adams 10's sailed the three day regatta with almost no errors and with no major screw ups at all. This was paricularly evident on day 3 when the wind came up, the rail meat weight quota was very low and the there were some real challenges, paricularly going downwind.

Amanda and her team of volunteers who worked the race for the RMYS did a great job and deserve recognition. It's hard to run a good series with boats of such widely divergent speeds in a single start but they managed to do it.

Try this.

Did you say an Adams 10 won on IRC and AMS. Wow those girls must be hot.

Try this.

SSShhhh! You'll waken the Walrus and then we will all have to endure endless bragging about the superiority of Royals sailors and Adams Tens.

Seriously, regardless of results, clubs and boat designs, it's great to see this regatta growing and more women out there sailing.

Try this.

What exactly do you mean by that?

Totally off the current thread ... but....

there is a fair selection of Melb yachties up here in the Whitsundays right now for the Dent to Dunk Rally. About 20, all having a drink or 10, wearing shorts & T shirts. (includes "Mongrel" for some who will know who that is). Looks like a dangerous fortnight coming up.

And I see PP and Pete W lurking.

Try this.

Sparky did a flying visit to Melbourne for the long weekend. He has this thing for women who steer Sydney38s and Adams10s.

Oh and good on the Adams10 women for doing their bit promoting the class. Anyone want to buy one?

Try this.

Sparky did a flying visit to Melbourne for the long weekend. He has this thing for women who steer Sydney38s and Adams10s.

Oh and good on the Adams10 women for doing their bit promoting the class. Anyone want to buy one?

Thanks for clarifying uncle Phil :)

Regardless of anyone's opinion about Adams 10 handicaps, the girls who sailed Top Gun had a superb regatta and earned their victory.

The girls who sailed the 38 also sailed really well and absolutely earned their placing.

If a certain very crafty and smart tactician from Sydney had been aboard the 38 they may very well have been able to win.

Try this.

Regardless of anyone's opinion about Adams 10 handicaps, the girls who sailed Top Gun had a superb regatta and earned their victory.

The girls who sailed the 38 also sailed really well and absolutely earned their placing.

If a certain very crafty and smart tactician from Sydney had been aboard the 38 they may very well have been able to win.

Yeah, and if Russell Coutts had a sex change they would have shit it in too...

Try this.

"If a certain very crafty and smart tactician from Sydney had been aboard the 38 they may very well have been able to win"

What a dumb comment - YOU DICKHEAD!!

there is a fair selection of Melb yachties up here in the Whitsundays right now for the Dent to Dunk Rally. About 20, all having a drink or 10, wearing shorts & T shirts. (includes "Mongrel" for some who will know who that is). Looks like a dangerous fortnight coming up.

post-449-1244766496_thumb.jpg

G'day JS. I guess you mean this Mongrel?

Jeez, we miss him as he adds a level of class to any occasion.

Ask him to relate the Tale of the Thai Restaurant and the Ironing Board from a distant past Geelong Regatta :lol:

I should add, Mongrel's a top bloke, an excellent sailor and we have had a lot of hilarious times together over a whole lot of years. Hates a beer too. Please give him my regards.

Ask him to relate the Tale of the Thai Restaurant and the Ironing Board from a distant past Geelong Regatta:lol:

I should add, Mongrel's a top bloke, an excellent sailor and we have had a lot of hilarious times together over a whole lot of years. Hates a beer too. Please give him my regards.

That's the Mongrel. Hair a little greyer and a longer walk around now.

I'll post that on the noticeboard.

Ask him to relate the Tale of the Thai Restaurant and the Ironing Board from a distant past Geelong Regatta:lol:

Longer walk around? Doubt it, that's just a figure flattering photo. Check out this one for a truer perspective :lol::lol::lol: (He's going to kill me when he sees these again)

post-449-1244773503_thumb.jpg

Try this.

"If a certain very crafty and smart tactician from Sydney had been aboard the 38 they may very well have been able to win"

What a dumb comment - YOU DICKHEAD!!

Well, you lost me. My better half was on the Sydney 38 who came in 2nd in IRC and 3rd AMS. I was suggesting that a very good female tactician who sailed with our team last year might have made a bit of difference and allowed our girls to pick up a shift or two per race or get a better start or two which might have made a difference sailing against a well run A10.

As it was the young lady who did tactics for the 38 did quite a good job but having someone who has actually raced an Adams 10 with our team and who has more experience on Port Phillip bay may have made a difference. It also would have allowed everyone on the 38 to take their normal positions on the boat.

If this is all it takes to set you off then it's your problem, not mine.

I have a digital compass on board the oil rig that needs to get re-aligned.

Searching Google isn’t helpful. Can anyone suggest a marine chandler in Melbourne or Geelong who could put me onto someone?

Any assistance would be great. I don’t want to have to send this back to Germany

Thanks Sparky! I have heard that it was a good regatta once again. I wish I could have escaped my jobs and made it down to sail. Although it would have been a fight to choose between my real love of sailing the Adams 10's versus Tactics on the 38 which I have also enjoyed sailing in the past.

And before all you Melbourne guys go on about it I don't care about the fact they rate well as I race them in Sydney and we don't have any ratings. I also give full credit to any Bowchick who can pull off a 10point gybe in breeze on a 10m. Not easy for the males or females. A well balanced 10 is a dream to drive with a good crew.

Sparky I will be in touch with you as to when I am next putting the F40 team together to see if you want to join us in Sydney again.

Thanks Sparky! I have heard that it was a good regatta once again. I wish I could have escaped my jobs and made it down to sail. Although it would have been a fight to choose between my real love of sailing the Adams 10's versus Tactics on the 38 which I have also enjoyed sailing in the past.

And before all you Melbourne guys go on about it I don't care about the fact they rate well as I race them in Sydney and we don't have any ratings. I also give full credit to any Bowchick who can pull off a 10point gybe in breeze on a 10m. Not easy for the males or females. A well balanced 10 is a dream to drive with a good crew.

Sparky I will be in touch with you as to when I am next putting the F40 team together to see if you want to join us in Sydney again.

I'll alert the Admiral to the possibility of a trip to the big smoke.

How far off is Calm from getting on the water?

A very soothing & relaxing antifoul sprayed on yesterday.

Mast isn't in yet, but looks to be nearly finished.

Plastic wrapper is all off and she is looking most glam. Willo there again today on his own, looking bewildered. Rig is all set up and looks ready to go in.

Noticed the new Beneslow First 40 Wicked had its first race Saturday at SYC and pulled off a 2nd on IRC and AMS. The IRC rating of 1.091 looks competitive, although not much of a fleet to compare with so far. AMS rating of 0.967 also looks competitive. Tricky conditions Saturday with Nth wind between 12-30kn so might not be good indication yet....

Longer walk around? Doubt it, that's just a figure flattering photo. Check out this one for a truer perspective :lol::lol::lol: (He's going to kill me when he sees these again)

post-449-1244773503_thumb.jpg

Posted the first pic on the notice board. (or the bar owner did - & gave Mongrel a shirt for it) Didn't use the second one, didn't want to frighten children & small animals. Didn't take Mongrel long to work out where they came from.

Rally is under way, 42 boats, great spin run 1st day in 12-15 SE & cloudless sky. MAGIC! Spin up for 2nd leg (or most of it) not much wind so far, but perfect weather. It's NOT a race but some are cruising very competitively.

Sat night at Cape Gloucester Resort was great. Pirates theme & most got into it (and the piss) 2nd night anchored behind Cape Upstart, which was ON FIRE. Nat parks burnoff. Should rename it Smokey Cape. Fleet now motorsailing to Cape Bowling Green in 6-7 knot SSE, and sunshine.

About 6 boats here from SYC (I think), and about 20 people. Fun times.

Noticed the new Beneslow First 40 Wicked had its first race Saturday at SYC and pulled off a 2nd on IRC and AMS. The IRC rating of 1.091 looks competitive, although not much of a fleet to compare with so far. AMS rating of 0.967 also looks competitive. Tricky conditions Saturday with Nth wind between 12-30kn so might not be good indication yet....

Interesting set of results.

http://syc.com.au/raceresults/2009/kb/wstix_09/series.htm

Normally consistent Syd 36s off the pace this week but the T-980 seems to be on the improve finishing less than 30 seconds behind Wicked. Are they fast now or is Wicked not so fast yet? Early days for the Bendytoy 40 I know...

Awaiting lame excuses re Smoothie from Don & his joined-at-the-hip buddy Rossco :o

Reverie at Brighton rates 1.123.

Reverie is a First 45, Wicked is a First 40.

Ahh.......yeah.........I knew that just thought I'd check if you did................ :P

Ahh.......yeah.........I knew that just thought I'd check if you did................ :P

Don't you just hate it when....

post-13013-1245067239_thumb.jpg

Plastic wrapper is all off and she is looking most glam. Willo there again today on his own, looking bewildered. Rig is all set up and looks ready to go in.

As the actress said to the bishop, "Its in".

ie mast is in the boat, boat is in the water. Much to do yet but definite signs of progress... Still a week or so to the first race of the ORCV Winter Series. Will they make it? Stand by...

post-13013-1245369227_thumb.jpg

ie mast is in the boat, boat is in the water. Much to do yet but definite signs of progress... Still a week or so to the first race of the ORCV Winter Series. Will they make it? Stand by...

Nice patch in the bow! Broken it already?

Anyone know the story behind that? Willo still got "L" plates on?

Used it as battering ram to remove SMB3. Get out of my spot Geoff

Bloody reflection.

Bloody reflection.

Nah, not a reflection... Caption Contest???

post-13013-1245375857_thumb.jpg

Bloody reflection.

Have another look. It is very obviously a reflection in the shiny hull.

Bloody reflection.

Yeah, sure John. I watched one of Blue's guys applying that reflection from a tin full of blue bog.

post-13013-1245379523_thumb.jpg

Bloody reflection.

Yeah, sure John. I watched one of Blue's guys applying that reflection from a tin full of blue bog.

post-13013-1245379523_thumb.jpg

Take a fucking look at the first pic. That is a reflection for the 1st metre PLUS a reflection of the lifelines for half the length of the boat.

From 3000 kilometres away I do not have the benefit of the other pic in your camera of the other side of the boat.