Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

6PM tonight marks the "soft" opening of the mighty "Battlestar Aquatica" at Sandringham YC. Will be interesting to see what nearly $Oz13Mill buys in the way of Clubhouse facilities, apart from a sensational view. I hear that nearly 1000 members and guests are planning to attend tonight so the plumbing should get its first big test. Hope the beers are cold and the ladies warm...

Read all about it here: http://www.syc.com.au/userfiles/File/Liz/New%20Clubhouse.pdf

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

I see that the Gold boat is now for sale. Anyone know if there's other plans ?

Sailing lessons?

I have heard that SMB 3 may appear out of harts factory a little longer than what it was when it entered? 51 foot?? Big surgery!!

SMB3 has been berthed at Sandy for the last few weeks!

Soon to go the shed, don't know about it being any longer though.

WM might just be on the money. Looks very sad and neglected at the moment though.

Yep - it will be 4 ft longer when it comes out

I have heard that SMB 3 may appear out of harts factory a little longer than what it was when it entered? 51 foot?? Big surgery!!

WM might just be on the money. Looks very sad and neglected at the moment though.

Let's hope they give this version more than 10 races to see if it is any good, as I gather patience is not one of GBs best attributes.

Might have been easier and cheaper to give it the nip and tuck apporach per all the other RP stuff ups!

Let's hope they give this version more than 10 races to see if it is any good, as I gather patience is not one of GBs best attributes.

Nice work by the boys and girls on Scarlett Runner. An excellent Div 1 win against a very hot Div 1 fleet in their first offshore/coastal outing.

ABRW and HIRW await...

Mex

6PM tonight marks the "soft" opening of the mighty "Battlestar Aquatica" at Sandringham YC. Will be interesting to see what nearly $Oz13Mill buys in the way of Clubhouse facilities, apart from a sensational view. I hear that nearly 1000 members and guests are planning to attend tonight so the plumbing should get its first big test. Hope the beers are cold and the ladies warm...

Read all about it here: http://www.syc.com.au/userfiles/File/Liz/New%20Clubhouse.pdf

Anyone over there christened the new tower "box" yet?

Apparently there will need to be modifications made to Scarlet Runner.

They are going to retrofit a separate puke bucket into the head so the builder can keep sailing with them.

:lol:

That makes me sick.

how did orcv winter races go on sunday down in melbourne

There was a bit on I think. 25-35kn North. Woulda sorted the men from the boys.

Any news?

Results here http://www.orcv.org.au/index.php?option=co...&Itemid=312

Windy all day, between 20-35 knots. Watching the big boats downwind was just fantastic. Cougar and Flirt went past us, one either side, as we went upwind. We shit ourselves. They must have been doing over 20+ knots with their bows right out of the water.

Back in the pack, the 38s struggled in the big winds, with plenty of wipe-outs. I also think Veloce may have broken something in the second race, as they did not fly a kite downwind on two legs.

Cougar was a little late for the 2nd race, a came storming through the fleet, aided somewhat by Flirt not hoisting a kite on the first run (why?? sacred??).

The Calm boys had a day to forget. Wipe-outs, round ups, etc. Pretty hard to get used to a new boat in 20+ knots though.

After 4 races you would say they have finally figured out how to get Flirt going (she leads with a 3-1-1-1 score), the new Veloce also looks the goods, the Tp52s have struggled with gear failures and everyone is looking forward to a gentle 10-15 knots day at some stage over the final three races.

Any news?

Windy all day, between 20-35 knots. Watching the big boats downwind was just fantastic. Cougar and Flirt went past us, one either side, as we went upwind. We shit ourselves. They must have been doing over 20+ knots with their bows right out of the water.

Back in the pack, the 38s struggled in the big winds, with plenty of wipe-outs. I also think Veloce may have broken something in the second race, as they did not fly a kite downwind on two legs.

Cougar was a little late for the 2nd race, a came storming through the fleet, aided somewhat by Flirt not hoisting a kite on the first run (why?? sacred??).

The Calm boys had a day to forget. Wipe-outs, round ups, etc. Pretty hard to get used to a new boat in 20+ knots though.

After 4 races you would say they have finally figured out how to get Flirt going (she leads with a 3-1-1-1 score), the new Veloce also looks the goods, the Tp52s have struggled with gear failures and everyone is looking forward to a gentle 10-15 knots day at some stage over the final three races.

Thanks. I was chatting to Willo Sat night (on the phone) He was looking forward to a good sail Sunday. Hope they didn't break too much. They'll get it together - one day.

Any news?

I saw the Veloce boys walking down the marina with a broken carbone kite pole, they also mentioned that they did not have any "A" kites for flying off their small prod (to match their pole length)!

The TP52s do appear to have a reliability problem in the strong winds, but Cougar must have been the fastest down hill boat of of the day as they appeared to fly a much larger kite than Flirt.

The race was all about no stuff ups and keeping your kite up with no wipe outs (sounds simple)

Their is no doubt that Gougar is still the boat to beat in Melbourne at the moment if they are able to stay in the race and start on time, there impresive win on the last race was amazing considering they were a 1/3 of a leg behind Flirt on the first work in the second race.

It looked like Flirt had a technical problem on the first run of the 2nd race not being able to fly a kite as the wind did not appear to be that strong?

Proposed division splits for this Summer :angry:

KEELBOAT PERFORMANCE HANDICAPS RULES 2009/2010

1. Divisions

1.1 Performance handicap racing will be divided into three divisions depending on the performance of boats and may be reviewed and revised periodically.

Div 0 0.940 and above

Div 1 0.870 to 939

Div 2 0.800 to 0.869

Div 3 0.799 & below.

RECOMMENDED ALLOCATION OF CLASSES INTO DIVISIONS

Beneteau 40.7 Division 1

11m OD Division 1

Sydney 38 Division 0

Adams 10 Division 1

Young 88 Division 2

Diamond Division 2

Farr 1020 Division 3

S80 Division 3

1. Divisions

1.1 Performance handicap racing will be divided into three divisions depending on the performance of boats and may be reviewed and revised periodically.

Div 0 0.940 and above

Div 1 0.870 to 939

Div 2 0.800 to 0.869

Div 3 0.799 & below.

Beneteau 40.7 Division 1

11m OD Division 1

Sydney 38 Division 0

Adams 10 Division 1

Young 88 Division 2

Diamond Division 2

Farr 1020 Division 3

S80 Division 3

I was told the cutoff for Div 0 was 1.000 which is probably reasonable.

What you have described leaves the S38s and others having to do some rather long courses and finishing 30 to 45 minutes (possibly more) behind the first Div 0 boat in a standard Range windward - leeward course.

1. Divisions

Div 0 0.940 and above

Div 1 0.870 to 939

Div 2 0.800 to 0.869

Div 3 0.799 & below.

Beneteau 40.7 Division 1

11m OD Division 1

Sydney 38 Division 0

Adams 10 Division 1

Young 88 Division 2

Diamond Division 2

Farr 1020 Division 3

S80 Division 3

What you have described leaves the S38s and others having to do some rather long courses and finishing 30 to 45 minutes (possibly more) behind the first Div 0 boat in a standard Range windward - leeward course.

Will they have the Div 0 x 2 race's format in the Range series again this year ?

1. Divisions

Div 0 0.940 and above

Div 1 0.870 to 939

Div 2 0.800 to 0.869

Div 3 0.799 & below.

Beneteau 40.7 Division 1

11m OD Division 1

Sydney 38 Division 0

Adams 10 Division 1

Young 88 Division 2

Diamond Division 2

Farr 1020 Division 3

S80 Division 3

Will they have the Div 0 x 2 race's format in the Range series again this year ?

Attempting to get reasonable class racing in the S38 fleet with quick 50+ footers on the start line will be difficult.

2 races on Range days for div 0

If this goes ahead we may give mixed fleet racing away and just concentrate on OD.

This is performance div breaks, how are they going to manage this when IRC div breaks are used for Range races. Are you going to have IRC Div 1 boats in PHD Div 0 racing on different courses to the IRC Div 0 boats ?

This is performance div breaks, how are they going to manage this when IRC div breaks are used for Range races. Are you going to have IRC Div 1 boats in PHD Div 0 racing on different courses to the IRC Div 0 boats ?

Good question.

I believe the current Div 0 IRC break point will be removed and replaced with the PHD.

Whether a yacht chooses not to sail under IRC or AMS does not affect the Range series break points

1. Divisions

Div 0 0.940 and above

Div 1 0.870 to 939

Div 2 0.800 to 0.869

Div 3 0.799 & below.

Beneteau 40.7 Division 1

11m OD Division 1

Sydney 38 Division 0

Adams 10 Division 1

Young 88 Division 2

Diamond Division 2

Farr 1020 Division 3

S80 Division 3

[

getting off the start line with 10+ 45-55 footers on your air, gee that'll be fun for 38-40 footers

1. Divisions

Div 0 0.940 and above

Div 1 0.870 to 939

Div 2 0.800 to 0.869

Div 3 0.799 & below.

Beneteau 40.7 Division 1

11m OD Division 1

Sydney 38 Division 0

Adams 10 Division 1

Young 88 Division 2

Diamond Division 2

Farr 1020 Division 3

S80 Division 3

Should have left the split as per last summer, it will be hard for the 38 to 40 footers to compete with the IRC50's given their IRC rating advantage.

If you compare the split in the European countries, ie recent Cowes week, the IRC50's race in their own division.

IRC is not used for div break points in range series, never has...always phd

Actually Div 0 was based on IRC of 1.18 and above with a age date of 2000 onwards last season. Inclusion was on application to YV, hence some older boats being included in Div 0 older than 2000. All other break points are as you say PHD (lottery) handicap.

Found on last years NOR

4.2 Divisions

There shall be four (4) Divisions, 0 1, 2, 3.

The Divisions shall be defined as follows

Division 0 IRC boats as described in 4.2.4

Division 1 As defined by the YV Performance Handicap Rules.

Division 2 As defined by the YV Performance Handicap Rules.

Division 3 As defined by the YV Performance Handicap Rules.

Div 0 IRC

As a guide boats in this class shall have an IRC Rating above 1.18 and a design

date later than 2000.

Entry to this division is by application to and acceptance by YV (KBC).

Boats that race in Division 0 may not change back to Division 1 during the series

Alright so.. here in Australia we've got this massive multi million dollar industrie going on, with all these brand new state of the art boats, great racing all year round.. how the hell do we get some sort of media interest?

I see wild oats on tv every christmas time, gotta hunt around on the internet to see some photos and maybe a few short videos but thats about it.

Just something I've been thinking about...

Alright so.. here in Australia we've got this massive multi million dollar industrie going on, with all these brand new state of the art boats, great racing all year round.. how the hell do we get some sort of media interest?

I see wild oats on tv every christmas time, gotta hunt around on the internet to see some photos and maybe a few short videos but thats about it.

Someone has to die before the media take any notice down here.

I'll just go back to watching slamball then.

I'll just go back to watching slamball then.

Is that the show where they play basketball with trampolines? That's quite good actually. Commentary is 1st class.

ORCV have dropped the short ocean dash to Westernport from the Winter Series and replaced with a long Bay race ending in Geelong.

Hooray! Totally support this move.... it was a pain in the ... to travel 35nm down the Bay to start at "sparrow's fart" o'clock for a 35nm dash, finishing at a place that you can't realistically stay at, only to immediately turn around and travel home.

I'm sure there will be plenty of negative sentiment from those that grumble that this makes a mockery of the "O" in ORCV.... but there is plenty of opportunity to go play in Bass Strait during the warmer months and Stanley is only another 6 weeks out.

The only worry is the hangover in Geelong is bad enough once per annum.... now twice?? Urgh!

Anyone know who made Executive Decision's new carbon rig? CST?

At the risk of opening the pandora's box again ... wonder how that will effect the IRC rating?

I think it came from NFI (Tassie) and took over 3 months to cure, also some more magic bits coming.

IRC is going down ;)

At the risk of opening the pandora's box again ... wonder how that will effect the IRC rating?

Is this new carbon mast being painted silver colour?

Any truth to the rumour that she's getting carbon foils and an unobtainium bulb too?

This is ridiculous! Executive Decision does not have a carbon rig guys!!! No one made it! It's our ol' faithful aluminum mast that's been polished and painted black to look pretty. So unless they're going to penalize us for a new paint job, the rating isn't going to be affected. Not by the mast anyway.

Where was it done? In a sheltered section of the RYCV car park. How long did it take? Over a month. Who did the work? The skipper with the help of some friends.

And no, no truth to the her getting carbon foils or an unobtainium bulb. Unless someone wants to sponsor us?

Any more questions that I can answer for you to prevent pointless protest later?

This is ridiculous! Executive Decision does not have a carbon rig guys!!! No one made it! It's our ol' faithful aluminum mast that's been polished and painted black to look pretty. So unless they're going to penalize us for a new paint job, the rating isn't going to be affected. Not by the mast anyway.

Where was it done? In a sheltered section of the RYCV car park. How long did it take? Over a month. Who did the work? The skipper with the help of some friends.

And no, no truth to the her getting carbon foils or an unobtainium bulb. Unless someone wants to sponsor us?

Any more questions that I can answer for you to prevent pointless protest later?

yeah......right, have you declared the new polished rig on the validated IRC certificate? How much weight has been taken out? How much lighter is the boat? Who would think of protesting ED?

yeah......right, have you declared the new polished rig on the validated IRC certificate? How much weight has been taken out? How much lighter is the boat? Who would think of protesting ED?

Cougar 11?

Yet another day or action aplenty in Melbourne for the winter series. Two races held, with some egos in tatters and some serious sailing lessons handed out.

Highlights for the day we be:

1. The Cougar guys just smacking everyone. They seemed to sail flawlessly. Nice work.

2. A few of the lesser lites like JAMHU, INXS and The Wicked guys doing very well also.

Lowlights are too many to mention, but include:

1. Audi Melbourne having two shockers. Seen going upwind without a headsail at one stage, and going downwind without a kite at another.

2. Two man-overboards (Veloce and Bene 45 from RBYC after the finish). They recovered the guys well and let's hope they are OK.

3. Round-ups and chinese gybes everywhere (particularly in the Sydney 38s).

4. Some seasoned campaigners not having the best of days, including the guys on Challenge.

In summary a day to remember for some, and a day to forget for others. At least there is next week to try get it all back in shape.

The the big question is, will it ever stop blowing in Melbourne???

Yet another day or action aplenty in Melbourne for the winter series. Two races held, with some egos in tatters and some serious sailing lessons handed out.

Highlights for the day we be:

1. The Cougar guys just smacking everyone. They seemed to sail flawlessly. Nice work.

2. A few of the lesser lites like JAMHU, INXS and The Wicked guys doing very well also.

Lowlights are too many to mention, but include:

1. Audi Melbourne having two shockers. Seen going upwind without a headsail at one stage, and going downwind without a kite at another.

2. Two man-overboards (Veloce and Bene 45 from RBYC after the finish). They recovered the guys well and let's hope they are OK.

3. Round-ups and chinese gybes everywhere (particularly in the Sydney 38s).

4. Some seasoned campaigners not having the best of days, including the guys on Challenge.

In summary a day to remember for some, and a day to forget for others. At least there is next week to try get it all back in shape.

The the big question is, will it ever stop blowing in Melbourne???

Agree with your review of tadays racing, but the wind conditions were not that fresh (15 to 23 k).

Just hope the Geelong race is not too light so we are able to get to the bar in time for a quiet drink?

Interesting comments on Audi Melbourne, still managed reasonable results to stay ahead in the series on IRC, this appears to to show IRC favours these IRC 50 footers even if they have stuff ups?

Certainly was not that fresh. Audi Melbourne seemed to be going very well (right up with the Tp in the second race at the bottom mark) before major issues, so perhaps they now have some ability to recover if they stuff up.

Never mind the racing, which club has the best looking fence?

It's a great improvement on the old one but there seems to be some doubt with regard to its purpose.

Is it there to keep the ferals out or to keep the ferals in?

Congratulations Mr & Mrs T Eelf! That's cool

Great way to not get bored on a lay day! :D:D:D

Enjoy

t

Yes bought a ticket on the roller coaster. Both on the same crew this year seemed like the thing to do.

My congratulations.

(bit of an extreme measure to take to stop one of the crew from having it off with the BN) (paid hand)

It's a great improvement on the old one but there seems to be some doubt with regard to its purpose.

Is it there to keep the ferals out or to keep the ferals in?

Is it not to keep the old timers in the retirement home.

ps...heard some members not happy with money being spent on a fence while a shitty marina falls apart.

The Squadron or Hobsons Bay YC!

HBYC might be getting a new fence soon too.

With razor wire?

And now for the Social News: They have really Big Balls at SYC!

Aaah, the 2009 SYC Ball, first in the new Umpteen Million Dollar Clubhouse, proving yet again that wealth, position and influence just can't buy taste and that SYC truly is the home of many of the badly dressed bimbo's in the world of sailing in Melbourne. Having said that there were a few absolute glamours and the usual surplus of cleavage and tit. (NTTIAWWT) 340ish select members and freeloaders (guests) tripped the light fantastic in the flash new premises but of course there were the usual few who should know better making utter idiots of themselves on the dance floor. They know who they are. A pumping big band complete with horns provided the grooves for the night and the fodder was most excellent. SYC have certainly upped their act in their F&B department. All in all a bloody good night was had by (nearly) all and "allegedly" a willing waitress was had by some, somewhere on the marina after the close of play for the night. (No, not by me, I hasten to add.)

Numerous Anarchists were seen to be in attendance so do any of you have other "titbits" to report?

The SYC Ball proved a very enjoyable evening, after an interesting afternoon on the water. The 13 piece band was worth the money on their own. Although I did enjoy the soothing sounds of the string quartet in the Restaurant as well.

So, a TP52 may soon be up for sale? with a new, larger yacht to replace it?

Anything else?

The SYC Ball proved a very enjoyable evening, after an interesting afternoon on the water. The 13 piece band was worth the money on their own. Although I did enjoy the soothing sounds of the string quartet in the Restaurant as well.

Anything else?

Cougar 2 has been for sale for months. No news there. Will be replaced by a bigger one, again no news there.

And now for the Social News: They have really Big Balls at SYC!

Having said that there were a few absolute glamours and the usual surplus of cleavage and tit.

U know the drill flatters..

PICS OR IT NEVER HAPPENED :rolleyes:

cos.

There were people there with cameras; I wasn't one of them. I don't mind occasionally chatting to or even getting involved with other blokes wives but I draw the line at photographic evidence! Things start getting ugly...

Others may care to post.

Looks like a cracker from tomorrow's Melbourne to Geelong Race. The big boys should fly down there with the aid of the 20-30 knot northerlies.

The after race festivities at Geelong should be great also. A big pat on the back to the ORCV for changing to this race, rather than the stupid one to Flinders. Imagine having to get down the bay tonight, out the heads tomorrow and back home with the current forecast. Shithouse to put in bluntly.

Looks like a cracker from tomorrow's Melbourne to Geelong Race. The big boys should fly down there with the aid of the 20-30 knot northerlies.

The after race festivities at Geelong should be great also. A big pat on the back to the ORCV for changing to this race, rather than the stupid one to Flinders. Imagine having to get down the bay tonight, out the heads tomorrow and back home with the current forecast. Shithouse to put in bluntly.

I've still got to get back in the heads yet....and to Geelong...hmmm

Where are you Giddy-up. Just bought Scarlet to Syd from Hammo in just over 4 days including fuel stop in Southport (turned out didn't need it but safe than sorry). Might look at finishing trip next weekend.

T. elf.

4 days to Sydney????nice run mate. took us 7 days to Sydney , mind you we had 3 stops along the way wich tallied 2.5 days. Now back in the heads 1 hr from G-town.

What a great day yesterday for the final race of the Winter Series. 30 degrees temp. A 20-30-35 knot northerly meant some great rides, tore sails, dented egos, but at least a destination where you could tie the boat up and have a few rums.

The big boats went again put on an awesome display of power sailing and if you are to believe the bar talk, both Calm and Audi Melbourne hit speeds of over 24 knots on their way down to Gee-town. Both boats were in a league of their own.

Winners on the day were:

- IRC A - Audi Centre Melbourne

- IRC B - Peregrine

- AMS A - Audi Centre Melbourne

- AMS B - Godzilla

- PHD A - Spirit of Down Under

- PHD B - Caledonia

Well done to the winners of the series (that's if I can remember correctly after way to many rums, and I can't check as the series results are not on the website. Why not??) -

- IRC A went to Audi Centre Melbourne

- IRC B went to INXS

- AMS A went to Just a Minor Hickup

- AMS B went to Godzilla

- PHD A went Audi Centre Melbourne

- PHD B went to INXS

On a final note, well done to the ORCV for having the foresight to replace what was a crap race to Flinders with one to Geelong. Sure it was even a little hard mooring at Geelong in 35-40 knots, but once tied up the guys at RGYC put on a great night yet again. Let's hope this race is here to stay as the final one of the series.

Anything else?

Cougar 2 has been for sale for months. No news there. Will be replaced by a bigger one, again no news there.

Whats the asking price?

Aaah, the 2009 SYC Ball, first in the new Umpteen Million Dollar Clubhouse

Anything to keep them off the water....

Hey Walrus,

I hear they are spending a truckload upgrading the RYCV front fence and the dining room.... while the marina quietly rots away! :lol:

Read this:http://www.boatpoint.com.au/reviews/2009/-16607

and weep....

Great Melbourne to Geelong race, sail makers must have been happy based on some of the photos of all the trashed sails.

Of all the winter series I have done over the years, this one must have been the record for the most consistent fresh wind conditions. Usually this series is sailed in light winds with the ocasional windy race!

Well done to the race winners, also the series winners.

It was great to see the Rogers 46 (new ocean skins - Ex Shogun) out there racing again, also good result with a 2nd in IRC as it suited the mostly hard running conditions.

For a suggestion for next years ORCV final race, why not run a round the bay race with start and finish from SYC with a piss up back at SYC. This aproach is easier for most of the crews, ie no travelling back from G-town and skippers left with no delivery crew the next day!

Looks like another Beneslow First 45 has landed in Melbourne. Bluewater is parked at SYC at present. This one did well at Hammo last year, and this year. This makes 3 First 45's in the Bay now - will be interested to see how it goes against the others - Reverie and Schuss.

Anyone know more about the purchaser and where it will be based out of?