Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

I am told it was a Code Zero, which may answer why the confusion re how they are treated under IRC as opposed to 'class rules'.

Under IRC a Code Zero counts as a spinnaker right? Also the NOR said you could carry an extra kite in the race. Are you saying that someone had a code zero that would have been higher rated than their biggest kite, or are you saying someone had more kites than they were allowed?

New Rumour that the Shogun boys have purchased a certain TP52 from Sydney Wot stable

Nothing to fear there if they slow it down as much as they have done to the old "Limping Dog"

Wassup Giddy? Spill yer gutz boyo...

Gutz spilt - 1 Cookson 50 for sale. if you know anyone that wants to buy a good IRC 50 then pm me here

'Ere ya go G'up, http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale....aspx?R=7963131

But if it's that good, why the move?

So which of the Wots did you guys buy anyway, "Wot the Fuck? :P

Boss allways wanted a TP..he bought the 07 JV "wot now". cookson is an awesome boat .... 4 boats in 5 yrs ,wish I could afford to do that ;) I know about the add mate...I put it there

I know you put it there but I put it on here so the snivelling cunts can't tell YOU to buy an ad! :P Helpin' you out; it's just the kind of bloke I am. :rolleyes:

4 boats in 5 years is kinda busy - what's he like with houses, cars and wives?

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

One of the biggest challenges facing div yacht racing is the wholesale de skilling of people through lack of opportunity to learn in adverse conditions races get called off , no one does deliveri

Posted Images

Great race by the Doll at SYC on the weekend.... cleaned up the other Div 0's Cougar, Calm, Audi, Shogun. Testing conditions with a 20-25kn Northerly with bullets that kept everyone on their toes.

Beneslow 40 Wicked also showed pace in the stronger conditions with a win in IRC and AMS.

One of the nice things about the new SYC clubhouse is that we get to watch the spectacle of race boats as they sail right past the northern deck, close enough to take photos without needing a massive lens.

The photo of Cougs I shot from a RIB but the rest were from the deck. Enjoy!

post-449-1259547881_thumb.jpg

post-449-1259547904_thumb.jpg

Great race by the Doll at SYC on the weekend.... cleaned up the other Div 0's Cougar, Calm, Audi, Shogun. Testing conditions with a 20-25kn Northerly with bullets that kept everyone on their toes.

Beneslow 40 Wicked also showed pace in the stronger conditions with a win in IRC and AMS.

:rolleyes: Nice to see Dolly make the effort to come down the bay to make up a Div 0 race . A good win is a good win but Calm did have a couple of stuff ups with sails and Cougar boys told me not only did they have a winch failure, but were using a smaller offshore main and most of the crew were in unfamiliar positions (whatever that means?) training for Hobart . Audi was standout and certainly is gaining benefit from the sail mods. Roll on Range next week !

Cougar was clearly the most disadvantaged of the lot.

They had Disco steering!

:rolleyes: Nice to see Dolly make the effort to come down the bay to make up a Div 0 race . A good win is a good win but Calm did have a couple of stuff ups with sails and Cougar boys told me not only did they have a winch failure, but were using a smaller offshore main and most of the crew were in unfamiliar positions (whatever that means?) training for Hobart . Audi was standout and certainly is gaining benefit from the sail mods. Roll on Range next week !

Cougar was clearly the most disadvantaged of the lot.

They had Disco steering!

FONOSUY/YW/YGF/T

I am told it was a Code Zero, which may answer why the confusion re how they are treated under IRC as opposed to 'class rules'.

Under IRC a Code Zero counts as a spinnaker right? Also the NOR said you could carry an extra kite in the race. Are you saying that someone had a code zero that would have been higher rated than their biggest kite, or are you saying someone had more kites than they were allowed?

New Rumour that the Shogun boys have purchased a certain TP52 from Sydney Wot stable

Nothing to fear there if they slow it down as much as they have done to the old "Limping Dog"

Gutz spilt - 1 Cookson 50 for sale. if you know anyone that wants to buy a good IRC 50 then pm me here

Boss allways wanted a TP..he bought the 07 JV "wot now". cookson is an awesome boat .... 4 boats in 5 yrs ,wish I could afford to do that ;) I know about the add mate...I put it there

I know you put it there but I put it on here so the snivelling cunts can't tell YOU to buy an ad! :P Helpin' you out; it's just the kind of bloke I am. :rolleyes:

4 boats in 5 years, sounds like someone who makes bad decisions.

4 boats in 5 years, sounds like someone who makes bad decisions.

4 BIG boats in 5 years sounds like someone who can afford to make bad decisions :P

• 2 weeks later...
have all the big boats left to come up here yet for the start of syd hob

Not all. Some left late last week ( Flirt, WT...) Some had planned to leave (Sandringham) yesterday/last night and at least one other is leaving today. Stonking westerly fronts yesterday afternoon may have put plans back a bit for some making for an uncomfortable slog down the bay but a fast slide through the Paddock.

Stay safe out there folks.

Heard today that Wild Thing (ex Skandia) dropped her rig on the way to Sydney yesterday... :o trying to find more details

Sun fish out early this year?

Jody O'Brien, Friday, 11 December 2009

Grant Wharingon's 98 foot newly rebadged super maxi Etihad Stadium (formerly known as Wild Thing) has lost its brand new rig 10 miles off *Deal Island this afternoon.

All 20 people on board are accounted for and no-one has been hurt in the incident that has Wharington and his crew baffled.

The boat is heading towards Eden to re-fuel and will continue on to Sydney to assess the damage.

More details will follow as the facts become known.

*Deal Island is part of the Kent Group of islands, in the recently formed new National Park and Marine Protected Area - Kent Group National Park situated 72 kilometres west of Flinders Island in Bass Strait and 70 kilometres due south of Wilsons Promontory on the Victorian mainland.

• 2 weeks later...

So will Wharro now be the first Melbourne boat home and which of the rest is going to give it a shake on handicap given the latest forcast, in the battle of the 50 footers who will be first in for bragging rights?

Given the latest forecast could this be Bruce's year with a 40 footer coming home with the breeze on the Chutzpah?

Good luck to all the Vics and safe sailing will be stuck @ working following the tracker this year

So what else would Lou do on Boxing Day? Challenge seen here just after the start of the Cock of the Bay race.

If you look closely at the crew on the rail you can see anarchist Tiny Elf with his protective arm around Mrs Elf.

post-449-1261976460_thumb.jpg

Congratulations to Wicked in the SH.

Most likely a podium finish in IRC overall, and depending on a protest outcome potentially a 1st Overall in IRC.

Hats off and Very well done.

Classy sound bite from Mike Welsh on the Ch 2 news tonight saying the Wicked guys wanted 2True (aka The Sportsmed Special - Andrew Saies rebuilt my left knee a few years ago - top job too :lol: ) to win because they had beaten Wicked fair and square on the water. Nice to see that sort of sportsmanship at that level. Well sailed to both boats.

What will be will be.

When either Calm or Cougar (or some other TP 52) want their heavy No 3 back PM me

Good to see they are so spoilt that they can just leave it behind on the dock in Hobart (and thanks Craig for folding and packing it for us)

On the other hand I will trade for the sail for my mooring lines when you find out which other boat made off with them

Another 50 footer appears at SYC.

Phil C's new Benneteau First 50 arrived by road transporter to SYC all wrapped in plastic this morning.

I hear that in the depressed boat sales market Phil picked this up for a song, however, has had to re-finace seven properties to fill the fridge.

Mex

Rather expensive Saturday with a fair amount of damage!

SYC's 5 short course races in one day was a great idea, well run by the race officials, but we didn't need the 20 to 25 knots wind speed.

SC - shredded 3A assy, ripped 2A assy, ripped C4 headsail.

HS - broken mast, shredded Assy, shredded mainsail.

F&G - 3 ripped sym kites, damaged headsail?, damaged mainsail?

Some very close calls both up and downwind.

Anyone know of anymore damages??

• 2 weeks later...
When either Calm or Cougar (or some other TP 52) want their heavy No 3 back PM me

Good to see they are so spoilt that they can just leave it behind on the dock in Hobart (and thanks Craig for folding and packing it for us)

On the other hand I will trade for the sail for my mooring lines when you find out which other boat made off with them

Calm and Cougar 2 both live at Sandy. why dont you tell the Sailing Office at SYC about your lucky find and see how much the $ reward is ?. All big boat sailors must be spoilt . Everyone should sail SB3s or Etchels shouldnt they ?

Calm and Cougar 2 both live at Sandy. why dont you tell the Sailing Office at SYC about your lucky find and see how much the $ reward is ?. All big boat sailors must be spoilt . Everyone should sail SB3s or Etchels shouldnt they ?

Fuck off newbie

Managed to have a beer with a few friend last night who sails at SYC and he tells me that CD has put Flirt/Audi Centre Melbourne on the market and he intends to "have a break" from owning and running a big boat to focus on his family/kids. I haven't seen the boat advertised anywhere. Has anyone? Depending on the asking price it would make a good buy for someone who wants a nearly new, race ready boat.

It's a pity if true, as that will make one less big boat on the bay.

Oops, thats gotta hurt...

Just heard they dropped 'Calm' when picking her up out of the keel pit at SYC this afternoon. Bugger, hope its readily fixable but I hear she won't be racing with Div0 2morrow.

Crack and possible delamination in forward sections is the word

Willo and GA will be anything but calm about this...

Any see what happened to Don's SC and the committee boat yesterday ? Sounds like and interesting day with 35 knts. Only 3 finishers in Div 0.

Went to sign on at the committee boat as required starboard tack past their stern and initially thought we would pass ahead of Shogun to leeward with main eased. She was winching in her main and accelerating and closed the gap (no fault of Shogun). Unfortunately during this time the wind was gusting 28 or so. Went to bear away under Shoguns stern and could not, even with fully eased vang etc. Decided to round up, tack. As we hardened up a rather nasty wave pushed the bow to port and without a jib we went into irons. Tried backing down but didn't have the distance to clear the committee boat. Minor damage to both.

Never hit a committee boat before!...they are rather solid.

So who was the S38 that didn't round the hitch mark on Saturday, agreed to RAF themselves, then didn't?

Smacks of cheating!

The windward mark was to leeward of the hitch which made for a bad traffic jam.

There was a S38 that definitely did not round the windward mark, but there were also a couple of others that went straight to the hitch. We (SC) pulled out at the hitch mark after we could not round it.

So who was the S38 that didn't round the hitch mark on Saturday, agreed to RAF themselves, then didn't?

Smacks of cheating!

There was a S38 that definitely did not round the windward mark, but there were also a couple of others that went straight to the hitch. We (SC) pulled out at the hitch mark after we could not round it.

If you know for sure who cheated "Name & Shame" them... Not fair on those who had a bloody tough day and earned a result fair and square!!

Smacks of cheating!

Hi Don,

We assumed that it was the hitch mark not the windward mark adrift. I tried to contact the sailing office at RBYC by phone after the race without success. I then sent an email to them when I got home (copy below). I followed up with a phone call today and Simon advised that the windward mark (A) was adrift. We could see no markings on the mark we went around so decided to continue. We have retired from the race (see below)

Sent: Monday, 8 February 2010 10:23 AM

To: 'pro@rbyc.org.au'

Cc: 'Mark.D.Welsh@nab.com.au'; 'Leith Hore'; 'Tony Christensen'; 'lacey@laceyalford.com'; 'Patrick Mollison'; 'BEN SOLLY'; 'lbackway@meipicchi.com.au'; 'Mel Mollison'; 'Rowan Simpson'

Subject: FW: Club Marine Range race 6th February 2010

Hi Simon,

Following our phone conversation today, we now understand that the windward mark (A) was adrift not the hitch and as a consequence Chainsaw Sm 6115, has sailed the course incorrectly. We have “retired after finishing”

Regards,

Andrew Mollison

Sent: Saturday, 6 February 2010 7:04 PM

Subject: Club Marine Range race 6th February 2010

Hi Simon,

We may have sailed the today’s course incorrectly. Can you advise whether the windward mark or the hitch was out of its correct position?

Regards,

Andrew Mollison

Sierra Chainsaw

Smacks of cheating!

Hi Don,

We assumed that it was the hitch mark not the windward mark adrift. I tried to contact the sailing office at RBYC by phone after the race without success. I then sent an email to them when I got home (copy below). I followed up with a phone call today and Simon advised that the windward mark (A) was adrift. We could see no markings on the mark we went around so decided to continue. We have retired from the race (see below)

Cc: 'Mark.D.Welsh@nab.com.au'; 'Leith Hore'; 'Tony Christensen'; 'lacey@laceyalford.com'; 'Patrick Mollison'; 'BEN SOLLY'; 'lbackway@meipicchi.com.au'; 'Mel Mollison'; 'Rowan Simpson'

Hi Simon,

Following our phone conversation today, we now understand that the windward mark (A) was adrift not the hitch and as a consequence Chainsaw Sm 6115, has sailed the course incorrectly. We have “retired after finishing”

Regards,

Andrew Mollison

Hi Simon,

We may have sailed the today’s course incorrectly. Can you advise whether the windward mark or the hitch was out of its correct position?

Regards,

Andrew Mollison

Sierra Chainsaw

Well done bloke. Wish there was more honesty like yours out there.

Smacks of cheating!

Shooting from the lip again Johnny?

Smacks of cheating!

Hi Don,

Hi Simon,

Regards,

Andrew Mollison

Hi Simon,

Regards,

Andrew Mollison

Sierra Chainsaw

Well done bloke. Wish there was more honesty like yours out there.

Classy move Andy, well done. Its a shame because you sailed well all day in tough conditions. Where were the Zero Heroes?

Well done to all who got around the course in some of the worst seas I have seen in more than 40 years of sailing on the Bay.

Saw Don's issue at the hitch (aka Southern w/ward?) mark where he got shut out by a few boats - probably not a great day to be out there in Smooth C but the downhill ride would have been one to remember eh Don? Not so much the slog back uphill maybe?

Had time on the second downhill to snap a few shots - Dark Energy's wipe out under her fractional assy was a classic, especially since it's actually a masthead assy, just on the wrong halyard!

(Adam was right Johnny!)

post-449-1265594522_thumb.jpg

ED did a great job, especially seeing as the last time I saw them, they had the prawn net out the back and went from full noise to muted in about 2 seconds. I cant believe the rig stayed in the boat.

(Adam was right Johnny!)

???????

Hi Gladys,

Welcome home - you shoulda been out there mate - it doesn't blow like it used to!

Johnny Lindholm is the owner of DE, sorry but you ain't the only Johnny :)

Adam, one of his crew, told him it was a masthead assy before the hoist but was outvoted.

I sold them the boat and I knew there weren't any fractionals in the kit which is why I grabbed my camera.

See here:

post-449-1265595825_thumb.jpg

(Adam was right Johnny!)

???????

Hi Gladys,

Welcome home - you shoulda been out there mate - it doesn't blow like it used to!

Adam, one of his crew, told him it was a masthead assy before the hoist but was outvoted.

I sold them the boat and I knew there weren't any fractionals in the kit which is why I grabbed my camera.

See here:

G'day Chris. I was at the Rock - not sailing. A few kids out in Optis & Sabots - and smoking! Kids really handling it well. 30+ and flat water.

(Adam was right Johnny!)

???????

Hi Gladys,

See here:

G'day Chris. I was at the Rock - not sailing. A few kids out in Optis & Sabots - and smoking! Kids really handling it well. 30+ and flat water.

Flat water? When we motored out of Sandy in a brisk south easter we all thought, Beauty, Sth E, flat water woo hoo!

Once we got out to the course however, some of that 'Flat Water' must have been more than 3m high and the waves were really closely spaced, certainly less than the 35ft length of the boat. One of our crew, who shall remain nameless & blameless, chucked chunks all the way around the course and is rumoured to be considering a career in lawn bowls as a result.

(Adam was right Johnny!)

???????

Hi Gladys,

See here:

Flat water? When we motored out of Sandy in a brisk south easter we all thought, Beauty, Sth E, flat water woo hoo!

Once we got out to the course however, some of that 'Flat Water' must have been more than 3m high and the waves were really closely spaced, certainly less than the 35ft length of the boat. One of our crew, who shall remain nameless & blameless, chucked chunks all the way around the course and is rumoured to be considering a career in lawn bowls as a result.

Done a couple of round the bay races in big SE. Some of the nastiest seas I've seen on the bay. Long fetch & shallower on the west side.

Hi Don,

Molly,

I did not realise it was Chainsaw, had enough on my plate without worrying about who was who.

It was a shame because it made an already very tough leg even harder. Not the RC's fault I'm amazed they were able to get any of the buoys to stay in position.

I was furious we couldn't round the windward mark, because there was no good reason to hoist the kite and at least do one downwind leg. We clocked 15+ knots under mainsail heading out to the start area so we were confident Sc could go 20+ during the downwind legs of the race. Ahh well, best laid plans and all that.

Any more updates on the damage to Calm and how long it'll be out of the water ?

Assesment today.

Ask flatbaq. He seems to know it all.

I do but in deference to Willo, GA and SYC, I won't be saying any more about it here. An unfortunate accident but its fixable - hopefully before too long.

Red boat seen leaving Port Phillip under the cover of light fog heading in a south west direction intending to drink Cooper's pale ale and eat crayfish. Take guess's where to ?? :D

http://www.topyachtsoftware.com/db/aus/ent...&EventID=58

Red boat seen leaving Port Phillip under the cover of light fog heading in a south west direction intending to drink Cooper's pale ale and eat crayfish. Take guess's where to ?? :D

They did actually state publically that if they did well at Geelong that they would be going to Port Lincoln.

They did actually state publically that if they did well at Geelong that they would be going to Port Lincoln.

Always going to Port Lincoln. Going to Audi IRC's in Sydney if it did well overall with Docklands & Geelong. That decision has not been made yet.

Any news from the Tam O Sh ? As usual the premier yacht club can't be assed posting the results. :(

Nice quick trip around this year as the breeze held right through the night at around 15 kts. Also of note was that the Marks were all in place this year. No sign of Smooth C for this go-round though. :(

Is it just me or has anyone else thought recently why do the race organisers bother with Div 0 anymore? Only 3 finishers the last Range Race, with a number of boats not even out there.

The current Div 0 fleet status looks like this:

Cougar - Racing

Scarlett - Racing but Melb racing does not seem to be their focus.

Shogun 52 - Racing

Dolly - Racing

Flirt/Audi CM - For sale and not racing (rumour is it may be sold already)

Calm - In SYC yard and broken Not likely to be racing for several weeks.

Goldfinger - Not racing?

Terra - Racing sometimes

XLR8 - Racing but...

Shamrock - Never does Range series

With so little in the fleet, would they be better of combining Div 0 with Div 1 again like it used to be?

Is it just me or has anyone else thought recently why do the race organisers bother with Div 0 anymore? Only 3 finishers the last Range Race, with a number of boats not even out there.

The current Div 0 fleet status looks like this:

Cougar - Racing

Scarlett - Racing but Melb racing does not seem to be their focus.

Shogun 52 - Racing

Dolly - Racing

Flirt/Audi CM - For sale and not racing (rumour is it may be sold already)

Calm - In SYC yard and broken Not likely to be racing for several weeks.

Goldfinger - Not racing?

Terra - Racing sometimes

XLR8 - Racing but...

Shamrock - Never does Range series

With so little in the fleet, would they be better of combining Div 0 with Div 1 again like it used to be?

On the subject of big boats; what has happened with the biggest one? Etihad Stadium must be thrilled with the coverage they got from Wharro's media hogging pre-Hobart fuck-up and then their humiliating race start that wasn't really a race start. A consolation bridesmaid appearance in the Coffs Race, no show at Geelong or anywhere since has hardly given them value for money in Etihad Stadiums own backyard. Remembering Wharro (allegedly) trousered around $AUD280k for his trouble, you'd have to ask; was it really a fuck up or was it all a sting?

On the subject of big boats; what has happened with the biggest one? Etihad Stadium must be thrilled with the coverage they got from Wharro's media hogging pre-Hobart fuck-up and then their humiliating race start that wasn't really a race start. A consolation bridesmaid appearance in the Coffs Race, no show at Geelong or anywhere since has hardly given them value for money in Etihad Stadiums own backyard. Remembering Wharro (allegedly) trousered around $AUD280k for his trouble, you'd have to ask; was it really a fuck up or was it all a sting?

Saw The Thing parked in the water at Noakes in Newcastle yesterday...

Mex

Mex

Went straight there after Coffs and hasn't moved or been touched since, bottom is filthy and the boat in general is looking a touch sad.

Mex

Went straight there after Coffs and hasn't moved or been touched since, bottom is filthy and the boat in general is looking a touch sad.

Does it still have the Etihad Stadium livery?

Maybe Croaky has sent in the Repo man to get the rig back :o

Anyone know wassup here?

Mex

Maybe Club Marine are a little hesitant in giving a cover note this time.

I have heard there is a Corby 43 parked in the Royal's marina at the moment, boat calleed Full Metal Jacket. This boat was built in NZ around the same time as Flirt. Boat appears to have all the delivery kit on board with Dacron delivery, main and jerry cans etc.

I thought this boat is based out of Asia, ie Hong Kong?

Does any one know what is going on with this boat?

This Corby version looks quick in the light stuff with a finer stern section compared to the wider looking Flirt stern

I have heard there is a Corby 43 parked in the Royal's marina at the moment, boat calleed Full Metal Jacket. This boat was built in NZ around the same time as Flirt. Boat appears to have all the delivery kit on board with Dacron delivery, main and jerry cans etc.

I thought this boat is based out of Asia, ie Hong Kong?

Does any one know what is going on with this boat?

This Corby version looks quick in the light stuff with a finer stern section compared to the wider looking Flirt stern

Here to stay . Welcome Chris Mead. Should be a competitive addition to the Vic IRC fleet.

Dock talk in Gtown old shogun cookson maybe be new Terra Firma ?

Would be good to see it stay in Melbourne.

Needs a bit of a spend to make it competitive again - Team TF do that well!