Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

One of the biggest challenges facing div yacht racing is the wholesale de skilling of people through lack of opportunity to learn in adverse conditions races get called off , no one does deliveri

Posted Images

Big boats in Melb.

The Tall ship Stadt Amsterdam is due at Fawkner at 0930 this morning I believe. Currently anchored of tied up tp St Leonards pier.

Could be a sight worth seeing if they put it all up this morning.

gueez Johnny you know to much how did you know it was off St Leonards pier lol you must have spies down here

I have ways.....

AIS

edit. if you are who your name suggests and are working now - you just had Diamond Princess come in and Santa Frederika entering now just ahead of the POT.

HAHA JOHNNY and before that was the Searoad Mersey thinking you are looking up an AIS site on the web

Big boats in Melb.

The Tall ship Stadt Amsterdam is due at Fawkner at 0930 this morning I believe. Currently anchored of tied up tp St Leonards pier.

gueez Johnny you know to much how did you know it was off St Leonards pier lol you must have spies down here

I have ways.....

AIS

edit. if you are who your name suggests and are working now - you just had Diamond Princess come in and Santa Frederika entering now just ahead of the POT.

HAHA JOHNNY and before that was the Searoad Mersey thinking you are looking up an AIS site on the web

Yep.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ link

Big boats in Melb.

I have ways.....

AIS

Yep.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ link

So then i must be who my nic is

Is it just me or has anyone else thought recently why do the race organisers bother with Div 0 anymore? Only 3 finishers the last Range Race, with a number of boats not even out there.

The current Div 0 fleet status looks like this:

Cougar - Racing

Scarlett - Racing but Melb racing does not seem to be their focus.

Shogun 52 - Racing

Dolly - Racing

Flirt/Audi CM - For sale and not racing (rumour is it may be sold already)

Calm - In SYC yard and broken Not likely to be racing for several weeks.

Goldfinger - Not racing?

Terra - Racing sometimes

XLR8 - Racing but...

Shamrock - Never does Range series

With so little in the fleet, would they be better of combining Div 0 with Div 1 again like it used to be?

DBO,

Sorry to bore you with facts, but Flirt has not been sold yet as your rumour suggests. So anyone interested in the boat can PM me if they like.

Cheers CD

Dock talk in Gtown old shogun cookson maybe be new Terra Firma ?

Would be good to see it stay in Melbourne.

Needs a bit of a spend to make it competitive again - Team TF do that well!

Pussy Galore (also a Cookson 50 canter) was recently bought by an ex-Beneteau 47.7 owner. Now called Pretty Fly III. Fair to say they're had a steep learning curve since getting the new boat.

I'd suggest the TF crew would have that same curve. Not to say they can't. I'm sure they will. It's just a massive step to go from a 47 foot plastic caravan to a 50 foot full carbon canter.

Might want to steer clear of them the first few gybes in 20 knots +...

Cheers

Mex

Pussy Galore (also a Cookson 50 canter) was recently bought by an ex-Beneteau 47.7 owner. Now called Pretty Fly III. Fair to say they're had a steep learning curve since getting the new boat.

I'd suggest the TF crew would have that same curve. Not to say they can't. I'm sure they will. It's just a massive step to go from a 47 foot plastic caravan to a 50 foot full carbon canter.

Cheers

Mex

Hey Mex, This perticular Cookson does come with the added extra of an ashtray for those likely stressed moments. :)

Cheers

Mex

This Cookson is no longer a canter and TF crew unlikely to have too many issues IMHO

Cheers

Mex

This Cookson is no longer a canter and TF crew unlikely to have too many issues IMHO

Ah yes, the old Living Doll. Still a pretty powered up bit of kit though. I wonder how Telf will go without being able to close the door on his nav station...

Mex

Ah yes, the old Living Doll. Still a pretty powered up bit of kit though. I wonder how Telf will go without being able to close the door on his nav station...

Mex

pretty sure you can close the nav door on the cookson

Mex

Sure can, if you open the other door to the nav station you can also discuss the finer points of life with the Naviguesser while taking a dump.

Mex

Sure can, if you open the other door to the nav station you can also discuss the finer points of life with the Naviguesser while taking a dump.

precisely..brilliant boat

Mex

Ha, who knows what goes on behind closed doors?

Telf's actually lost a fair bit of weight since his recent nuptials - wasn't named Tiny for nought! Now I know this aint really him but the physiog likeness is uncanny. (Warning - Eyebleach may be required by some subscribers re presentation of Family Jewels)

post-13013-1266967951_thumb.jpg

From the ORCV website:

RR910-5-557.jpg

News from "the room" is that, while all three boats retired, Smoothy and Stampede would have been found responsible. Spirit of Down Under was exonerated.

Something about "room and opportunity" and perhaps about proper course.

From my own (new) experience of assymetric kites, I think it's a good idea to be pointed away from other boats as much as possible when its blowing. Got to 14 knots on the I550 downwind on Wednesday. Almost washed out of my shorts.

shogun the TP dismasted, on way into Eden. All crew OK

Bugger, as they say, but wait, all is not lost - How quick can they provision the Cookson???

Guys,

Slightly off topic, but one of the Drill Rigs I procure for in Melbourne has a few buckets of expired flares that we need to get rid of. Previously in WA. I have donated them to Yachting Australia whom use them for training, but keep getting answering machines at yachting Victoria, Melbourne Sailing School and Sandringham YC are not interested.

So other than spending a few hundred $$$ to get rid of them, do you know of any training facilities that could use them in demonstrations or the like?

They would be hand held red, smokes, whites and paras. I believe they have expired in Jan.

Cheers

There is or was usually a fire off before the first race of the winter series. I also know that the police stations (some) will take them.

Perhaps if you also drop Yachtmaster a note, they might know. I know Gordo runs the saftey course.

Guys,

Slightly off topic, but one of the Drill Rigs I procure for in Melbourne has a few buckets of expired flares that we need to get rid of. Previously in WA. I have donated them to Yachting Australia whom use them for training, but keep getting answering machines at yachting Victoria, Melbourne Sailing School and Sandringham YC are not interested.

So other than spending a few hundred $$$ to get rid of them, do you know of any training facilities that could use them in demonstrations or the like?

They would be hand held red, smokes, whites and paras. I believe they have expired in Jan.

Cheers

Try any of the commercial schools that run "Elements of Shipboard Safety" courses. Think there's one at Lakes Entrance. Google "Elements of Shipboard Safety"

I trust your "procuring" has nothing to do with women.

Thanks for the replies. Firstly who is Gordo?

Naah in this job I am unfortunatly not involved in the purchase of women.

According to all of the answering machines, all of you melbournites have gone home. I will have another go tomorrow....or a massive party at my house with free fireworks...

According to all of the answering machines, all of you melbournites have gone home. I will have another go tomorrow....or a massive party at my house with free fireworks...

Gordo = Gordon Syme, Yachtmaster Sailing School.

Hi Gordo here.

Unfortunately it is an offence under the Commonwealth Navigation Act to let of any expired flare, so neither myself or YA or anybody wants old flares.

You can take them to Police stations or most chandleries that sell flares will take old ones back.

Haveing expired flares on your vessel can invalidate your insurance

Hopr that helps

Guys,

Cheers

I collect old flares for our club and took a large bag to the Williamstown police station some months back, they looked at me a little strange but took them never the less, no charge.

ORCV uses them when they do Sea safety survival but I would imagine they would have sufficient supply from members.

G

Cheers guys, looks like the Cop Shop will get a bundle of flares.

On the 'illigal to have expired flares' thing, on my stinkpot, it isnt a requirement for me to have flares, but I carry twice as many expired ones as I would require if they were in service. I would prefer to have these if the shit hit the fan rather than none.

As mentioned I would look to donate them to a training facilty to use them in flare demonstrations. I had done about 2000 offshore miles before I had seen a flare ignite in a demonstration and had never realised how much it burnt when the little bits fell off onto your hand. Training facilitys do a lot of demonstrations over here so I was hoping that it would be the same over there.

Cheers for your help any how guys. Have a good one.

try the orcv they do heaps of sssc training so they could use them

Take them to a soccer game it's farr more fun. :rolleyes:

A couple of Orange smokies at an indoor basketball arena is a barrel of laughs too... :(

try the orcv they do heaps of sssc training so they could use them

Take them to a soccer game it's farr more fun. :rolleyes:

A couple of Orange smokies at an indoor basketball arena is a barrel of laughs too... :(

One of the rare actual LOL's there thanks mate

MAJOR storm thru Melbourne yesterday. Tennis ball sized hail, lightning, thunder, big breeze, flash floods in the city. Mayhem.

SYC fleet course shortened I think, but some still caught. Etechells fleet well off RBYC disappeared in rain with lots of lightning. I watched from The Rock. Haven't heard of any damage. Anyone have any stories?

MAJOR storm thru Melbourne yesterday. Tennis ball sized hail, lightning, thunder, big breeze, flash floods in the city. Mayhem.

SYC fleet course shortened I think, but some still caught. Etechells fleet well off RBYC disappeared in rain with lots of lightning. I watched from The Rock. Haven't heard of any damage. Anyone have any stories?

Saw the lightning but missed all the rain down at the entrance Strong to Gale force wind warnings out for yachts returning from Grassy race ( NE 25-35 ) You wouldnt want to stop over to long for a bundy at Grassy.

Think you might find no one will use out of date flares for training especially any RYA school

An accident in the UK a few years back saw an out of date parachute flare fire out the backwards when triggered and 250g of phosphrous burnt though the guys guts.

Manufacturer denied liability as the flare was out of date and the contents not stable

We were off Sandy yesterday. Plenty of wind and driving rain but no hail.

All boats behaved well and no significant damage reported in fleet.

Got home to find water coming out of the light fittings.

See this youtube clip to see what we missed out on

We were off Sandy yesterday. Plenty of wind and driving rain but no hail.

All boats behaved well and no significant damage reported in fleet.

Got home to find water coming out of the light fittings.

See this youtube clip to see what we missed out on

That's one way to aerate your lawn.

Mex

Living Doll on location.

Note do not allow any silly ropes ( like an outhaul tail ) to get in the field of view on auto focus = grrr

She looked even more impressive offshore a few miles with the swell and about 25 knots constant. Quite a weapon.

Mex

Think you might find no one will use out of date flares for training especially any RYA school

An accident in the UK a few years back saw an out of date parachute flare fire out the backwards when triggered and 250g of phosphrous burnt though the guys guts.

Manufacturer denied liability as the flare was out of date and the contents not stable

Lydia

Do you have a link to an article about this? I remember the incident and my recollection was that there was a recall of a batch of flares - not that the flare was out of date.

I keep slightly out-of-date flares aboard as extras just in case, but bear in mind the warnings about stability. "If you are letting off flares, you are already in trouble. Now imagine how much worse that trouble is going to be if your arm gets blown off". That's the way I was taught it ;)

Thanks

Saw the lightning but missed all the rain down at the entrance Strong to Gale force wind warnings out for yachts returning from Grassy race ( NE 25-35 ) You wouldnt want to stop over to long for a bundy at Grassy.

Left Grassy Sun morning, expecting a nasty trip, and arrived Sandy Monday morn. Thankfully the forecast Gales didn't eventuate, and most of the trip was in 10-20 knots - fair bit of rain though. No hail.

Left Grassy Sun morning, expecting a nasty trip, and arrived Sandy Monday morn. Thankfully the forecast Gales didn't eventuate, and most of the trip was in 10-20 knots - fair bit of rain though. No hail.

You're lucky. Saw a mate's car yesterday who got caught in the hailstorm north of the city. Looked like someone had taken to it with a ball pien hammer. A big one! Imagine what that would do to modern sails.

Any news on Calm and the repairs and it's return date to the water ?

Repairs due to start within the next week. Should take about 6 to 7 weeks (it's a big one). Boat not due back in the water until around the end of April. This season is shot!

Rumour has it that the repair entails removing and rebuilding (replacing) the underwater hull section from the leading edge of the keel to the bow. That's roughly 20% of the hull.

• 2 weeks later...

Cookson 50' sans graphics sitting in Calms marina slip @ SYC yesterday. Ex 'Doll, Shogun now Terribly Firm??

Doesn't even rate a mention on the Yachting Victoria site!

Only (some, not all) RYCV sailors give a shit about the Assoc Cup anymore. Maybe you should buy Surprise Don? She rates well and can be handled downwind in 20+ by anyone. ;)

Interesting team selection from Sandy in IRC Div A. No Cougar II or Flirt/Audi Centre Melbourne. Calm obviously out due to "injury".

It gets worse at the other end of the Fleet and last I heard there is no weighting to the scoring system, no Rhiannon in AMS WTF? Unless Lowa has some other pressing engagement, it's a pretty clear indication that Sandy are not fair dinkum this year.

For the record Rhiannon is clearly leading it's division in the Club Marine series, with nothing but 1st and 2nd ( including their drop )

Kinda big boat news, 'Wildthing' aka 'Skandia' aka 'Oil Rich Stadium' appears to have left Newcastle. One more week on station here and I would have declared it a reef of national significance.

I saw her in Newcastle on Saturday night / Sunday morning so she must have left after that...

Mex

Only (some, not all) RYCV sailors give a shit about the Assoc Cup anymore. Maybe you should buy Surprise Don? She rates well and can be handled downwind in 20+ by anyone. ;)

Fair call FB, bring back the original format of this event or it will find itself being a two club joust

sailed off with dare I say it A10s & IRC bandits. Owners have voted with their feet this year as Royals have finally layed to rest any fairness in team selection. Divisional splits in all other fleet racing in this country are based on handicap rating cut offs but not so in this event.?.Once a chest pumping and bragging thing between owners & crews on being selected to represent their club is now sorry were busy that weekend or more that we don't give a toss about it . The Association Cup was once a prize that ALL yacht clubs in this bay could sail for and did so for years. WTF happened

Fair call FB, bring back the original format of this event or it will find itself being a two club joust

sailed off with dare I say it A10s & IRC bandits. Owners have voted with their feet this year as Royals have finally layed to rest any fairness in team selection. Divisional splits in all other fleet racing in this country are based on handicap rating cut offs but not so in this event.?.Once a chest pumping and bragging thing between owners & crews on being selected to represent their club is now sorry were busy that weekend or more that we don't give a toss about it . The Association Cup was once a prize that ALL yacht clubs in this bay could sail for and did so for years. WTF happened

It's sort of got a little bit of an AC33, Alinghi, EB ring to it. Are we sure they aren't members of RYCV ???

It's sort of got a little bit of an AC33, Alinghi, EB ring to it. Are we sure they aren't members of RYCV ???

Ahhh yes. The AC training by the Oz teams at Royals in the 1980's. The Newport of the South. The old fellas down there still wear the thick woollen jumpers with 12meter embraisoned all over the front.In fact I think my dad still uses his to cover his slabs in the garage. Them were the days.

Nah, they got knocked back by RYCV. The Membership Committee said something about them being not corrupt enough and besides, Alinghi doesn't have any Adams Tens in their stable of yachts! Did I mention RYCV have a really nice 70's influenced Front Fence?

I'm seriously considering an 8 metre catamaran!

Anyone interested in a one-off Reichel Pugh 36??

Yep, + 1.

Assoc Cup = <yawn>

BTW, what was the original format ?

It gets better. All clubs were required to submit team lists last week - except Royals who then waited until Thursday when final weather forecasts were released before deciding on their team. Not that it matters. They are basically racing themselves as half the divisional fleet leaders have made themselves unavailable due to "crew issues" across the weekend. All good - now Royals can make it part of their club aggregate.

Yep, + 1.

Assoc Cup = <yawn>

BTW, what was the original format ?

Every significant yacht or sailing club on Port Phillip used to field teams for this once prestigious event including Geelong, Blairgowrie, Black Rock, Port Melbourne,Sorrento, QCYC, ORCV and more. I can remember 14 teams racing for it one year. That it is now reduced to a farcical 5 teams is fucking pathetic. If Yachting Victoria or RYCV deem this event to be a "success" then they need to pull their collective heads out of each others arses and remember the event for what it once was. The whole thing has become a hollow sham. Fuck it, I'm off to the Grand Prix tomorrow.

Sore losers. From memory the RYCV teams are pretty much the same as last year.

Perhaps if some of you entered boats that your crews could actually sail to their handicap it might help you. You might also try selecting the best performing boats in your teams instead of the newest and shiniest. The A10 is reasonably easy to sail, even by a mug like me.

Perhaps if some of you entered boats that your crews could actually sail to their handicap it might help you. You might also try selecting the best performing boats in your teams instead of the newest and shiniest. The A10 is reasonably easy to sail, even by a mug like me.

Here we go again ...............................

Kinda big boat news, 'Wildthing' aka 'Skandia' aka 'Oil Rich Stadium' appears to have left Newcastle. One more week on station here and I would have declared it a reef of national significance.

I saw her in Newcastle on Saturday night / Sunday morning so she must have left after that...

Mex

Was moored off Cobblers Beach in Sydney (below HMAS Penguin) this morning. Headed around into the main harbour about 3pm.

The event is the loser here Walrus and sailors have voted with their feet and walked away from what was once a prestigious event. It is now an openly manipulated farce.

BTW are you referring to one of the easy to sail Div 1 A Tens or one of the easy to sail Div 2 A Tens?

The event is the loser here Walrus and sailors have voted with their feet and walked away from what was once a prestigious event. It is now an openly manipulated farce.

BTW are you referring to one of the easy to sail Div 1 A Tens or one of the easy to sail Div 2 A Tens?

Flatty, I've already told you what your problem is; you simply select from New and shiny boats with no regard for whether they are optimised for Port Phillip or not; nor whether their crew has worked them up to full capability.

To put it another way, is Scarlet Runner completely at full song yet? I wouldn't think so.

The Adams 10 is the perfect racing design for Port Phillip chop. It loves those upwind/downwind courses, but more importantly the crews of most of them has been sailing the same boat for at least Five years or so.

You need good sails, that's a given, but the whole "You need a brand new boat to win races" attitude does not work unless you have a Grand Prix level of crew on board all the time, something that doesn't happen for long for most owners. Furthermore, certain brand new designs (which I will not name) have proved to be rather expensive disappointments for their owners, in part because their "groove" is so narrow that no one but a superhuman genius can get them to go up hill anywhere near where their polars indicate they should be.

Get over it and think hard about your team selection next year and maybe buy a few A10's.

Flatty, I've already told you what your problem is; you simply select from New and shiny boats with no regard for whether they are optimised for Port Phillip or not; nor whether their crew has worked them up to full capability.

To put it another way, is Scarlet Runner completely at full song yet? I wouldn't think so.

The Adams 10 is the perfect racing design for Port Phillip chop. It loves those upwind/downwind courses, but more importantly the crews of most of them has been sailing the same boat for at least Five years or so.

You need good sails, that's a given, but the whole "You need a brand new boat to win races" attitude does not work unless you have a Grand Prix level of crew on board all the time, something that doesn't happen for long for most owners. Furthermore, certain brand new designs (which I will not name) have proved to be rather expensive disappointments for their owners, in part because their "groove" is so narrow that no one but a superhuman genius can get them to go up hill anywhere near where their polars indicate they should be.

Get over it and think hard about your team selection next year and maybe buy a few A10's.

I hate to say it......

But I reckon you're right.

Consistency is what wins team races. 3rd, 4th, & 5th in each race will usually do it.

PS. are there 3 or 4 to a team in the AC?

Most of the top SYC boats did not put themselves up for selection as their was a general lack of interest. The Assoc. Cup is just not seen as a significant event on this side of the bay. If the top boats wanted to race against boats in different rating bands they can enter club races where the result is set by the weather.

Most of the top SYC boats did not put themselves up for selection as their was a general lack of interest. The Assoc. Cup is just not seen as a significant event on this side of the bay. If the top boats wanted to race against boats in different rating bands they can enter club races where the result is set by the weather.

Hey TE, I don't know how you run your races over where the shiny new club house is - or should I say shiny factory is, but over at our CLUB, when we have a club race and all clubs boats take part, we all have a crack at each other in the same weather. You do what you can in what you have.Maybe we should fill Edihad Stadium with water, close the roof and sail indoors with pre directional fans set at an exact speed, yep - that would work

Isn't that what the sport of sailing is about - tee shirts one day / foulies the next?? We still sail the same boat. Some days are great days and some are not so good - but when you sail at a club with club spirit and friendship, no day is bad.

Clubs like Hobo put in their best boats even though they couldn't make a team - they just wanted to sail and see how they go against whats out there. Brighton had all of their guys that wanted to sail out there doing their best - and I have to say they gave us a run for our money - and guess what - they were racing against the same A10's that you bitch about.

And as for the unbeatable Surprise, the boat that everyone says can't be beaten - well it was done yesterday, done like a dinner on corrected. Oh, I forgot to mention - it was an A10 that did the damage, but the factory workers don't want to play with these boats either.

Ass Cup is still a big deal, it may not be what is once was but it can be if people come out to play and stop blaming the weather and 35 year old boats. The weekend itself was great fun and I would like to say well done to all who competed - good breeze for 90% of it - no rain - and better than painting the house which is what the managing director wanted.

And as for your shiny new club, I went for lunch last week to farewell a very good friend whom I will deeply miss and the food and