Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

RYCV is running a "Sail an Adams Ten" session for all you SYC guys just to see how it works and pick up a few pointers this Thursday. Be there at 9.00am

Sorry Wally, but the pious and devout brethren of SYC don't sail on Good Thursday ;) Arrange another day; I think we have a gap in the program late in 2011. or is that 2012. We'll get back to you.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

Already 18 starters, we may open the kitchen and run a BBQ afterwards...

You have a kitchen there?

Also, not having 12 boats from each club racing would seriously dent the cup holders income wouldn't it?

Yes, that may well be the case, why then don't you put in a great team ( which you could if you wanted to and put your ego's aside) win the old mug back and measure the income stream it could generate to your club.

Or as others have said - It just doesn't matter to you??

Tradation ceases when effort is lost, there are a lot of good and deserving names on that trophy, (from all clubs) put that thought before your own. Not directed straight at you Don, but worthy of a thought

It is my belief that each club picks the best team available.

SYC entered the best boats and crews available, and yes quite a few yachts did not make or could not make themselves available for various reasons.

As you know I have made Smooth Criminal available for selection in past years, and will continue to do so in the future, regardless of my personal dislike of the current structure of the Association Cups competition. Specifically the number of boats required in each team, the scoring methodology, and the divisional rating overlaps.

Most clubs have difficulty entering 12 yachts let alone 12 "competitive" yachts, which as you know makes it that much more difficult to win the Cup if you only have 3 teams not 4. The divisional rating overlaps, well the reason for it is obvious to all competitors, so I will not start that particular argument here.

I love my sailing, the comradeship, the competition, and yes, the tradition. But the Association Cup has become a competition riddled with bad feeling between clubs because it is not a level playing field. The current holders of the Cup in MY PERSONAL OPINION have become a shadowy reflection of what Alinghi attempted to do to the competition for the Americas Cup.

That's OK if you want to accept the challenge under those rules, but obviously there are a growing number of owners and by extension, sailing clubs, no longer interested in competing under the current Association Cup racing structure. Again, the reasons are obvious to all competitors.

I believe the current AC "holder" needs to take a hard look at what the competition has become, how it is being seen to be run, and how the holder will be "regarded" by all in history's pages. It is my HOPE that the current holder will make a magnanimous gesture to Victorian sailing and make appropriate changes to reinvigorate the Association Cup competition. No-one else can!!!

Thanks for your post Don, I know if you had a boat you would have been there, even maybe with a 8 mt. cat !! I understand that you also have a dislike with the current set-up withh the AC, understanding and accepting all of this - I struugle as to why you or parties from other clubs do not get together and start some talks about some (any)talks about some changes for next year.

Rather than just say about money that a club is generating from it, gee, it was great to see all the competitors that sailed all come over for the presentation, and spend all that money over the bar and the kitchen (yes Flattie we have one of those). Let me take a guess at how many people we had, let me see - how about none !!

If you don't like it, don't wait until it all disappears up its own arse and we have to start from scratch again. The competetors and bodies have a year to get it right, it we wait another 10 months then think about doing something, it won't happen and all the bitching will just ignite again.

Also, not having 12 boats from each club racing would seriously dent the cup holders income wouldn't it?

Thanks for your post Don, I know if you had a boat you would have been there, even maybe with a 8 mt. cat !! I understand that you also have a dislike with the current set-up withh the AC, understanding and accepting all of this - I struugle as to why you or parties from other clubs do not get together and start some talks about some (any)talks about some changes for next year.

Rather than just say about money that a club is generating from it, gee, it was great to see all the competitors that sailed all come over for the presentation, and spend all that money over the bar and the kitchen (yes Flattie we have one of those). Let me take a guess at how many people we had, let me see - how about none !!

If you don't like it, don't wait until it all disappears up its own arse and we have to start from scratch again. The competetors and bodies have a year to get it right, it we wait another 10 months then think about doing something, it won't happen and all the bitching will just ignite again.

My understanding is that the Asociation Cup is actually a Yachting Victoria event - what are those overpaid bureaucrats doing about the profile of the event? I can think of a two word answer starting with Fuck and ending with All.

I accept that it is unfair to heap all the acrimony about the event on RYCV and that they won it fair & square again. The real concern is the lack of interest in participating in what should be and what used to be the pinnacle event in Victorian keelboat racing. Something has to change or the 14 clubs that over a few years became 5 clubs will soon become only the defending club with zero challengers.

BTW, the jibe about the kitchen is based on bitter recent experience. I had a meal at your establishment a short time ago and it was sub-standard crap in comparison with the worst pub meal I have ever had - and that's saying something, believe me!

I reckon RYCV would be happy to explore any ideas on making the event better. Why don't you realistically think about what would achieve that and send them to the Club. At the same time send one to the other clubs that didn't compete EG Mornington, Blairgowrie and Geelong and ask them why they didn't field a team or for that matter a combined team. A NOR is a NOR it's there for everyone to see well in advance as long as you are eligible come and play, more the merrier. The event is run in accordance with the racing rules, if you want to win it you have got to be in it.

My understanding is that the Asociation Cup is actually a Yachting Victoria event - what are those overpaid bureaucrats doing about the profile of the event? I can think of a two word answer starting with Fuck and ending with All.

I accept that it is unfair to heap all the acrimony about the event on RYCV and that they won it fair & square again. The real concern is the lack of interest in participating in what should be and what used to be the pinnacle event in Victorian keelboat racing. Something has to change or the 14 clubs that over a few years became 5 clubs will soon become only the defending club with zero challengers.

BTW, the jibe about the kitchen is based on bitter recent experience. I had a meal at your establishment a short time ago and it was sub-standard crap in comparison with the worst pub meal I have ever had - and that's saying something, believe me!

Flatty, sorry to hear about the meal you had and the fact , by your own admission, was not up to the standard of say - The Park Highett. That may have been the case but it is a area of the club that it being addressed and addressed closely. So maybe give it a while and have another crack.

As for the bit about not all RYCV''s fault and even nearly a "well done"" that took a big man - so thank you from all who competed.

As for the Fucking No Good overpaid bereaucrats - well don't get me started - I have been so close to coming to blows with those no good layabouts for years.

I will be arm in arm with you to jam something thick and hot - not what you think - more like a 4x4 redgum post on fire - right up the arse, but be aware, half of the battle would be to get them on their feet as that is all the free loading deadshits do is to sit on their arses in the glass towers that we - Joe Average - no offense Joe - pay for.

Come over have a drink with me and I will tell you more than you may wish to ever hear about the low lying scrum the represent ( of how fuckin" sic) us.

I think some talks could be in order and then - "on mass to the towers and stone the pricks!!"

Flatty, sorry to hear about the meal you had and the fact , by your own admission, was not up to the standard of say - The Park Highett. That may have been the case but it is a area of the club that it being addressed and addressed closely. So maybe give it a while and have another crack.

As for the bit about not all RYCV''s fault and even nearly a "well done"" that took a big man - so thank you from all who competed.

As for the Fucking No Good overpaid bereaucrats - well don't get me started - I have been so close to coming to blows with those no good layabouts for years.

I will be arm in arm with you to jam something thick and hot - not what you think - more like a 4x4 redgum post on fire - right up the arse, but be aware, half of the battle would be to get them on their feet as that is all the free loading deadshits do is to sit on their arses in the glass towers that we - Joe Average - no offense Joe - pay for.

Come over have a drink with me and I will tell you more than you may wish to ever hear about the low lying scrum the represent ( of how fuckin" sic) us.

I think some talks could be in order and then - "on mass to the towers and stone the pricks!!"

Another satisfied YV customer....tongue.gif

I reckon RYCV would be happy to explore any ideas on making the event better. Why don't you realistically think about what would achieve that and send them to the Club. At the same time send one to the other clubs that didn't compete EG Mornington, Blairgowrie and Geelong and ask them why they didn't field a team or for that matter a combined team. A NOR is a NOR it's there for everyone to see well in advance as long as you are eligible come and play, more the merrier. The event is run in accordance with the racing rules, if you want to win it you have got to be in it.

Sail committees of competing clubs do in fact, get together and discuss the AC, and offer their submissions to the host. What the host does with it is another matter entirely.

Re: YA/YV - strangely enough, i've never felt like a customer, go figure ?

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

RYCV is running a "Sail an Adams Ten" session for all you SYC guys just to see how it works and pick up a few pointers this Thursday. Be there at 9.00am

Hey Walrus, I got out a bit early from my meeting - raced home got my PFD - notebook - dictaphone and my camera, even had to stop and have "A nervous twinkle" due to the excitement factor of finally getting the chance to maybe have a steer or at least sit on a A10.

And I get down to Royals ( nice front fence ) and there is NO ONE THERE - WTF!!!!!

I'm going back to SYC where I can get ignored by a better class of person

1. 52 boats had some interesting competition during the Association Cup.

2. The IRC band ratings were designed to maximise the number of boats that could be available for selection and competition.

3. It was not for lack of trying that more clubs didn't enter teams in the event.

The Walrus take on all this is that yachting technology has outstripped the rules. For example, why would someone want to race a boat optimised for a downwind / upwind course against a boat optimised for an old fashioned Olympic course?

The issue is the rules, not the boats. When Walrus raced (most of the time) the courses were triangle/sausage/triangle and if there was a wind shift during the race, stiff shit. Nowadays we seem to re lay marks after a five degree wind shift. Is this precious or what? Who are the better sailors?

Just saw a news clip on Ch7 that said a yacht ran aground at Apollo Bay, looked like Addition. Anyone got any details ???

From Sail World;

The yacht Addiction, from the Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron, has run aground on Easter Sunday morning in the narrow entrance to Victoria’s Apollo Bay harbour and has been washed into shallow water.

Richard McGarvie and his Inglis 37 crew were returning from Port Fairy, in 30 knot winds and a rapidly building seaway and they sought shelter.

The entrance to the harbour faces north and has a reputation for being dangerous to enter with an easterly swell. It silts up, particularly on the east side of the entrance.

After talking to local authorities the decision was made that the entrance could be safely made as there had been recent dredging.

McGarvie reported a few minutes ago that the yacht was on the leads when he grounded on the sand and at that point she lost way and was washed into the shallows.

Mercifully, all nine sailors onboard were taken off by boat and all are uninjured.

The yacht is on the sand and appears intact, although she is currently taking a lot of water.

Just saw a news clip on Ch7 that said a yacht ran aground at Apollo Bay, looked like Addition. Anyone got any details ???

From Sail World;

The yacht Addiction, from the Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron, has run aground on Easter Sunday morning in the narrow entrance to Victoria's Apollo Bay harbour and has been washed into shallow water.

Richard McGarvie and his Inglis 37 crew were returning from Port Fairy, in 30 knot winds and a rapidly building seaway and they sought shelter.

The entrance to the harbour faces north and has a reputation for being dangerous to enter with an easterly swell. It silts up, particularly on the east side of the entrance.

After talking to local authorities the decision was made that the entrance could be safely made as there had been recent dredging.

McGarvie reported a few minutes ago that the yacht was on the leads when he grounded on the sand and at that point she lost way and was washed into the shallows.

Mercifully, all nine sailors onboard were taken off by boat and all are uninjured.

The yacht is on the sand and appears intact, although she is currently taking a lot of water.

From the ORCV Web Site:

Addiction is an Inglis 37 that was returning home to Melbourne, having taken part in the Melbourne to Port Fairy race, which had got underway at 0415hrs on Good Friday.

AddictionAground1.jpg

Early on Sunday morning, she had decided to pull in at Apollo Bay, so as to get out of the weather in Bass Strait (what a good idea). They checked with the Harbour Master to ensure there was at least 3m of water in the channel at the entrance, which they were assured there was. Coming in on the leads, a system of poles and beacons use to guide you in to a port, they ran aground and lost way immediately. As a result the boat was pushed towards the beach and firmly shoved into the sand. They deployed their anchor immediately and then made efforts to leave the vessel in the "duck" that had come out for assistance. All crew were well and thanked the local authorities for their efforts, who in turn praised the crew for the skills and knowledge in activating their abandon ship procedures.

AddictionAground2.jpg

At the time there was at least 30knots from the NE blowing at Cape Otway and the sea would have been up to 3m with a 1.5m sea on top of that.

The ORCV has an impeccable record over the last 60 years that it has been running races in the notorious Bass Strait and to Tasmania. It is one the club is justifiably proud of. To that end, there are countless training and safety exercises, procedures and plans that all crews are proficient in, so as to be allowed to race. The positive outcome in this instance, in terms of human injury and life, is testament to this.

At 1500hrs on Sunday 04/04/10 she was afloat on the higher tide and inside the breakwater, alongside the quay. The vessel has sustained damage, most notably to the keel bolts that hold the keel to the hull and is to be removed from the water at Apollo Bay for inspection and clarification. She will most likely be brought back to Melbourne by truck for repairs. As such, the port was considered unsafe by the ORCV, who, in conjunction with Bacardi, set about advising other yachts in the area of this fact.

AddictionAground3.jpg

This year, the ORCV Melbourne to Port Fairy race raised $1500 for the Good Friday appeal. For the last 30 years, the ORCV has been proud to ask participants over the radio to donate and then collect the money at Port Fairy for sending on to the Royal Children's Hospital.

Pictures by Marc Tracy from Mrs Overnewton, out of RMYS. Many thanks to Mary Kay of Smithton Radio, Peter Clancy ORCV Melbourne, Steb Fisher, David Bingham off Mirrabooka, Marty Powers off Bacardi, Marc Tracy and the local SLSC and Rescue authorities for all their assistance, input and efforts.

From Sail World;

The yacht Addiction, from the Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron, has run aground on Easter Sunday morning in the narrow entrance to Victoria's Apollo Bay harbour and has been washed into shallow water.

Sorry to hear about this situation and good to see crew all okay. Hope they are able to retreive the boat without any major damage. I remember this boat being built in the old Docklands sheds along with the other Inglis 37 (Beyound salvation). When these boats were first launched they were very fast for their size with some impressive results against the 47 foot version.

These boats are centre boarders, so hopefully they have tried to pull up the keel to make the retrieval easier.

Does anyone have any more news?

How about Black backstay ribbons for Spike in this weekends CM/Range Race?

He was one of ours; this was his pond.

How about Black backstay ribbons for Spike in this weekends CM/Range Race?

He was one of ours; this was his pond.

excellent idea!!

Great thought from you Flattie - along with OCS, I also agree that it would be a great idea.

In case of interest, I believe the funeral will be at Willy (Nelson Bros) with a wake at SYC - no day or times as yet and this has NOT been 100% confirmed. I will try to confirm with Nitro when he returns with Peter's body the details and will post.

Nitro only left Melb. on Monday or Tuesday to go back o/s to continue his campaign and was greeted (sic) by this news and will accompany with others (Damo King I think) the body back - a difficult thing for anyone to do.

Black flags would be a fitting sign of respect

What has brought Full Metal Jacket to Royals?

Chas Blundell (From Tas) brought FMJ to Royals where she has been for some weeks. Last I saw she still had the delivery fuel drums sitting on deck and looked very unloved.

Kinda big boat news, 'Wildthing' aka 'Skandia' aka 'Oil Rich Stadium' appears to have left Newcastle. One more week on station here and I would have declared it a reef of national significance.

I saw her in Newcastle on Saturday night / Sunday morning so she must have left after that...

Mex

It's currently in Melbourne. Was out late last week doing a corporate day. Some talk of it doing Hammo this year.

Chas Blundell (From Tas) brought FMJ to Royals where she has been for some weeks. Last I saw she still had the delivery fuel drums sitting on deck and looked very unloved.

How much do they want for her then?

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look at Living Doll up on the hard yesterday, was struck by how big the bulb is, looks too big, I guess with non-canter and a powerful boat that's what you get.

wouldn't mind seeeing a photo or two if you could

Notice that Shamrock ex SMB2 is for sale and moored at SYC.

Have always liked the lines of the RP 46's.

These RP 46's are quick in the light stuff, but struggle to be competive in the 10 knots plus. Still a great race boat, how much are they asking?

Notice that Shamrock ex SMB2 is for sale and moored at SYC.

Have always liked the lines of the RP 46's.

Didn't those 'lines' get a little bent out of shape in that prang at Hammo? Owner hasn't sailed the boat for all that long since the rebuild; could there be "issues" or is he just tired of being uncompetitive? Cheap ride for some punter though...

Still unloved as of the weekend ...

post-8325-127241165876_thumb.jpg

Had a look at Living Doll up on the hard yesterday, was struck by how big the bulb is, looks too big, I guess with non-canter and a powerful boat that's what you get.

Apologies for all the scaffolding...

cos.

post-8325-127241171037_thumb.jpg

post-8325-12724117315_thumb.jpg

post-8325-12724117542_thumb.jpg

Still unloved as of the weekend ...

Can you say " Hidden assetts"?

Apologies for all the scaffolding...

cos.

Good pics, saves me going there tonight.

Hi Guys and Guyettes,

I'm looking for a couple of trimmers and a backup foredecky/sewer rat to complement the team on a Seaquest 36 (Gienah) based in St Kilda. Plan is to take it easy and sail every 2nd weekend till the ORCV Series (July) and give that a good hard crack! Then onto the Summer with the boat expecting to be on the water every weekend. We'll be especially focussed on the Range, Lipton and Geelong Regattas and the Club aggregate (IRC).

The boat is basically new - quite competitive (1.067), all the sails are in top order and she is maintained to a high standard. The boss if a fantastic helm (which makes a nice change from most boats), the crew is developing quite nicely into a quality unit (both on and off the water).

Dinghy sailors looking to have a go at "big boats" are especially welcome (most of us come from that world), and we're not scared of a bit of intensity either. Probably doesn't need to be said - but - we like girls too.

Give me a buzz and we'll go for a yacht.

Stu

0423 100 711

No doubt Bruce and the gang will have a great time in their new "old" Chutzpah and will be one of the boats to beat in Div 1 this summer.

I have heard that CD has ordered a brand new Flirt. Can anyone confirm it? I don't think they been out sailing since Geelong and I thought he'd given it away. Is the old one still for sale?

No doubt Bruce and the gang will have a great time in their new "old" Chutzpah and will be one of the boats to beat in Div 1 this summer.

I have heard that CD has ordered a brand new Flirt. Can anyone confirm it? I don't think they been out sailing since Geelong and I thought he'd given it away. Is the old one still for sale?

Why wouldnt he use the old deck/hardware (with necessary mods) and fit to a new hull from a different designer. Someone from the land of the long white cloud for example?

Anyway, what would I know - I've retired!

Why wouldnt he use the old deck/hardware (with necessary mods) and fit to a new hull from a different designer. Someone from the land of the long white cloud for example?

Just a wild guess hey Joff ?

Where do we know you from Stu?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Malmsbury Youth Training Centre??

BTW TBG how's the little tacker coming along/ and how's Sailormooon coping with muvvahood?

What about the new (last year) Greg Elliot designed Keel and Rudder! I guess the budget may not be a problem to also build new foils with the new haul

What have you retired from, designing giant killing IRC50 yachts?

ORCV Apollo Bay this weekend looking light reach/beat with N-NW forecast.

For mine, Extasea (DK46) looking strongest in AMS/IRC, although Wicked (Bene F40) has form from Syd-Hobart (complete with new stick), but may need more breeze? Audacious (S/38) also a chance along with Schuss (Bene F45).

Smaller boats could be a big show if the breeze kicks in later - Wild Side (S/36CR) or Remedy (A32)?

BTW TBG how's the little tacker coming along/ and how's Sailormooon coping with muvvahood?

The little tacker is powering along and sleeps like a champ. Sailormooon has the mum thing down pat. Full credit to her.

With some degree of planning I may be back on the water by summer.... I hear there have been some rule changes - have I missed anything else?

The little tacker is powering along and sleeps like a champ. Sailormooon has the mum thing down pat. Full credit to her.

With some degree of planning I may be back on the water by summer.... I hear there have been some rule changes - have I missed anything else?

Not surprised Sailormoon has the mum thing sorted - after all, she had plenty of practice with you (and most of the guys you sailed with)

Not surprised Sailormoon has the mum thing sorted - after all, she had plenty of practice with you (and most of the guys you sailed with)

Why don't the two of you chat about this further with a cuppa tea and scones over at lawn bowls anarchy,

seeing as you've BOTH retired...

Cos.

Why don't the two of you chat about this further with a cuppa tea and scones over at lawn bowls anarchy,

Cos.

Fuck off Cos, this is news here. TBG & SM are S/Anarchys on-line sweethearts having met here and later married. How many times have you got laid thru being on Anarchy? Single handed (your preferred discipline IIRC?) and self administered doesn't count.

Cos.

Fuck off Cos, this is news here. TBG & SM are S/Anarchys on-line sweethearts having met here and later married. How many times have you got laid thru being on Anarchy? Single handed (your preferred discipline IIRC?) and self administered doesn't count.

Hey Nutbag,

My reference was to the retirees, Joff & TBG...

My bad for the inclusion of your post.. Apologies

And yes, the TBG&SM + poopster story is an awesome achievement through the wonderful dating tool of SA..

I was honoured to be at their nuptials/do...

As for how many times I've been laid !!

Answer is obviously zero ...

But what kinda twisted sicko would need to know that.

Can we know get back to the point of the thread..

Cos.

Hey Nutbag,

My reference was to the retirees, Joff & TBG...

My bad for the inclusion of your post.. Apologies

And yes, the TBG&SM + poopster story is an awesome achievement through the wonderful dating tool of SA..

I was honoured to be at their nuptials/do...

As for how many times I've been laid !!

Answer is obviously zero ...

But what kinda twisted sicko would need to know that.

Can we know get back to the point of the thread..

There's a point ?

FB was at Royal Sandringham for a slap up lunch in the HVR this afternoon from where it was good to see the TP 52 Calm hanging in the slings and about to get wet again following her major repair. Bet they were VERY careful lifting her out of the pit this time :)

Hate to have been paying for that little mishap :(

FB was at Royal Sandringham for a slap up lunch in the HVR this afternoon from where it was good to see the TP 52 Calm hanging in the slings and about to get wet again following her major repair. Bet they were VERY careful lifting her out of the pit this time :)

Good to hear. Anyone know what's planned for the boat? Apart from not busting it again...

Mex

Good to hear. Anyone know what's planned for the boat? Apart from not busting it again...

Mex

I had heard that they are planning on doing the TP52 World's next year in Europe somewhere.

Mex

I had heard that they are planning on doing the TP52 World's next year in Europe somewhere.

Good luck to Willo, Slotty, Anus & crew but surely, not in that boat? Calm is a geriatric by TP52 standards, they would have a distant view of transoms in the current fleet. Chartering a new(er) boat would be the only way. Then there's the crew work issue; they were still on the steep party of the learning curve when their boat got bent some months ago. I do wish them well, they have had their fair share of setbacks and deserve a break (so to speak!)

• 3 weeks later...

Numbers in Melbourne's Division 0 likely to be down this coming season:

Audi Centre Melbourne - sold & not replaced

Chutzpah - shelved in favour of S/38

Cougar II - on the market (??)

Terra Firma - probably spend most its time up North (?)

Is this the start of the end of this separate division?

Cougar is on the market - but to be replaced by a Farr 55 built by Cookson - a sister ship to the Doll - once sold.

Very strong pressure being applied to a certain Sandy S80 skipper to buy Surprise, but more work required to sweeten the deal. Given his history in One design, more likely to be a founding Soto40 owner.

Chris will be taking a break from big boat owning for a while

Suggest the numbers will be down in every division for the ORVC Winter Series -

Open to seagoing yachts and The Notice of Race defines Cat 4 - so all boats require liferafts, secondary anchor, bunks for half the crew,

3.5 Safety Regulations

For all races, YA Special Regulations Part 1, Section

2, Category 4, with an operational VHF transceiver.

Open to seagoing yachts and The Notice of Race defines Cat 4 - so all boats require liferafts, secondary anchor, bunks for half the crew,

3.5 Safety Regulations

No liferafts for Cat 4. But the NOR could require them in addition to Cat 4 - unlikely though. (EDIT>>> and it doesn't)

This is different though. 6 months later?

post-1322-127726790985_thumb.jpg

Sydney 38 OD fleet and now talking about a possible Soto 40 OD fleet

Ooch!

It will be an effing long time before any sort of Soto 40 OD fleet can establish here. The single builder is too small to churn out the numbers fast enough when you consider his market is the whole planet. Without critical mass on the Bay, and quickly, the class will never take off here. Not dissing the boat, it looks like the answer to many sailors prayers but FFS, it has taken 10 years to get a half viable fleet of Syd 38s here and they are (or were!) locally produced. An imported 40ft one design fleet in Melbourne? Yeah... right.

Ooch!

It will be an effing long time before any sort of Soto 40 OD fleet can establish here. The single builder is too small to churn out the numbers fast enough when you consider his market is the whole planet. Without critical mass on the Bay, and quickly, the class will never take off here. Not dissing the boat, it looks like the answer to many sailors prayers but FFS, it has taken 10 years to get a half viable fleet of Syd 38s here and they are (or were!) locally produced. An imported 40ft one design fleet in Melbourne? Yeah... right.

"If you build it, they will come..." ???

Ooch!

Get a set of Soto40 moulds to Melbourne for Hick Marine/Hart Marine to build locally!

PS - I have heard the Don Jones 42 (Cadibarras 8) is comming back to Melboure

Ooch!

Get a set of Soto40 moulds to Melbourne for Hick Marine/Hart Marine to build locally!

Ooch!

Regarding the Soto 40 churning out enough yachts to satisfy a local market... you may be closer to the truth than you know.

www.longitudeyachts.com

3.5 Safety Regulations

No liferafts for Cat 4. But the NOR could require them in addition to Cat 4 - unlikely though. (EDIT>>> and it doesn't)

This is different though. 6 months later?

post-1322-127726790985_thumb.jpg

Thanks Johnny - you are always correct.

I was hasty with my post - but interesting that a series in Port Phillip around laid marks is Cat 4!

I meant to say lifebouy not liferaft - look at the full Cat 4 requirements - would all boats entered comply??

I was hasty with my post - but interesting that a series in Port Phillip around laid marks is Cat 4!

I meant to say lifebouy not liferaft - look at the full Cat 4 requirements - would all boats entered comply??

I'd say it's due to the water temp in melbourne over winter. A life ring would be very handy if you went in the piss in a 30 knot Sou'westerly on the Bay.

Mex

Heard today that some boat owners have already spend money to buy equipment to comply with Cat 4 - hope it is a considered opinion by ORCV that Cat 4 is appropriate and that the NOR is correct.

Heard today that some boat owners have already spend money to buy equipment to comply with Cat 4 - hope it is a considered opinion by ORCV that Cat 4 is appropriate and that the NOR is correct.

Look up various SIs for some of the round the bay races to see what category they are. Because the last race is a passage race to Geelong.

ORCV Winter Series NOR has been altered

3.5 Safety Regulations

For races 1-6, YA Special Regulations Part 1, Section 2, Category 6, with an operational VHF transceiver.

For race 7 (M2G), YA Special Regulations Part 1, Section 2, Category 5, with an operational VHF

transceiver.

3.5 Safety Regulations

For races 1-6, YA Special Regulations Part 1, Section 2, Category 6, with an operational VHF transceiver.

For race 7 (M2G), YA Special Regulations Part 1, Section 2, Category 5, with an operational VHF

transceiver.

1st race this weekend. Hope it gets warmer!

3.5 Safety Regulations

transceiver.

At least it's only for a few hours. I feel for those going to Vanuatu.

3.5 Safety Regulations

transceiver.

It won't; that's why its called the Winter Series.

So I've lobbed in to Melbourne for a few nights. Where does one go?

# For a drink after the boatshow tomorrow night?

# For a drink Saturday afternoon? Royals, St Kilda, Brighton or Sandringham?

Drop me a pm. Although some may have my mobile.

So what's the "expert opinion" on winners in Sunday's ORCV Winter Series? Some interesting match-ups:

Big boats: Calm V L/Doll (Dolly would be odds-on in my book on IRC)

Syd 38's: Challenge V Audacious V Chutzpah38 V Clockwork V Mille Sabords (Challenge is my pick - they just sail consistently well)

Bene 40's - Wicked V Halcyon V Second to None (Wicked should benefit from more experience)

Forecast is looking light ....

So what's the "expert opinion" on winners in Sunday's ORCV Winter Series? Some interesting match-ups:

Big boats: Calm V L/Doll (Dolly would be odds-on in my book on IRC)

Syd 38's: Challenge V Audacious V Chutzpah38 V Clockwork V Mille Sabords (Challenge is my pick - they just sail consistently well)

Bene 40's - Wicked V Halcyon V Second to None (Wicked should benefit from more experience)

Forecast is looking light ....

seems the Melbourne 50's are thinning, sign of the times.

but some great racing and growth in 36-45' brackets

Anyone know the story with Gusto failing stability for Cat 1

Did they change the boat or just fail the ORCi screening test?

Anyone with the actual figures pm me.

It seems there a number of boat having trouble demomstrating their IMS AVS when inclined for the ORCi index

Just wondering if this was another one

So Scarlett Runner has retired from the Melbourne to Vanuatu race. Word is they lost all electrics and means to communicate. So they set off the boats EPIRB and are heading for Southport.

Anyone know more ? Do they have a Satphone ?

The only info I have is from the ORCV website. A plane was sent out to make contact after the EPIRB was set off via their handheld VHF, it also mentioned waiting until they were in mobile range so they could talk family and the ORCV for a debreif. I assume from that is that there is no satphone.