Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Club Marines Series update.

MEDIA RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE USE

Port Phillip gale decimates Club Marine Series fleet

By Mike Sabey

The Forty knot gale that lashed Port Phillip on Saturday decimated the small Club Marine Series fleet brave enough to venture out and also washed a man over board off the fifty footer leading the Division Zero race.

Rob Hanna's TP 52 Shogun (RYCV) which was leading in heat one by almost a mile, was scorching down wind under spinnaker in white knuckle conditions doing 24 knots. With out warning a rouge wave washed their main sheet hand Ben Morrison-Jack out under the safety rails and over the side. See more details at http://www.sail-worl...---photos/80499

Classic example of media sensationalising.... Amazing that those of us that battled the elements actually survived such a life-threatening ordeal!!??

Must have been a harrowing experience with all those rouge waves. You would think that an experienced sailor like M-J would have seen a rouge one coming in amongst all those brownie-greenish ones. :lol:

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

I like the bit about the crash tack to recover him, Downwind??????

sounds about right and probably a whole lot better than turning the other way you'd think?

I was thinking it may have been the other way? Or a crash tack under kite in 35 Plus!

Either way not good.

Possibily it was a round up and that is Ok, would be a great excuse to bring out the samarui douse

gybing would leave you further away...turning up and hitting the halyard release is the only way to go (is that what they called crash tacking???)...sort out the mess..clear the lines and motor on. If the boat laid over while turning up it wouldn't be ideal but still much better positioning for the MOB than a gybe would be. gotta stop ze boat pronto

gybing would leave you further away...turning up and hitting the halyard release is the only way to go (is that what they called crash tacking???)...sort out the mess..clear the lines and motor on. If the boat laid over while turning up it wouldn't be ideal but still much better positioning for the MOB than a gybe would be. gotta stop ze boat pronto

crash Gybing would be disaster, drop the kite ASAP whilst still running, check lines in water, motor on and motor sail back. To turn upwind and drop the kite would not work in that breeze. Too hard to retrieve in 35-40 apparent plus waves on nose. it would end up streaming behind boat or in the tide. Look at the boats that leave their drop too late at bottom mark on windy days!! You can't run that risk in a MOB. Much easier to get kite down with wind and waves aft.

Anybody know what Yuuzoo is doing entering the Heads at 1022 today (Monday) last see heading up toward the south channel with 35 knots up its clacker.

Saw Yuuzoo cruising around last night with a group of corporates on board, took our wind as we were coming up to finish the twilight race.

crash Gybing would be disaster, drop the kite ASAP whilst still running, check lines in water, motor on and motor sail back. To turn upwind and drop the kite would not work in that breeze. Too hard to retrieve in 35-40 apparent plus waves on nose. it would end up streaming behind boat or in the tide. Look at the boats that leave their drop too late at bottom mark on windy days!! You can't run that risk in a MOB. Much easier to get kite down with wind and waves aft.

Please God, no. ocs your idea sounds good in theory, but you will end up over a mile downwind of the MOB. Ever tried to spot a man's head in waves from more than a boatlength or 2? Survival chances of the MOB diminish with every boatlength you travel away. Evo's right - stop the boat as close to the MOB as you can, without whipping the stick out. Easy doesn't enter into it.

Go and have a chat to the Shogun boys and ask how they handled it - great opportunity to learn something that may save a life one day.

I am very familiar with the RORC quickstop method, but in this case I beg to differ. I have sailed a lot on TP52's and to spin one of those suckers into a crash tack (which usually entails spinning the boat immediately past head to wind without advising anyone)in that amount of breeze would ensue in major carnage (possibly a rig loss) which would take a lot longer than to rectify than it would take to follow a more structured technique. If you want to be pedantic, as soon as call comes "man overboard" designate a man to constantly keep him in sight launch danbuoy which will help this role, push MOB button and fire brace which should be on a martin breaker in those conditions. all thsi should be done immediately. recover spinnaker with helmsman monitoring so he can turn up wind as soon as spinnaker is under control. check lines start motor and get him back onboard. I think this would be the best procedure on that baot in those conditions.

From CYCA news

I recall this race and remember how well they did it. You can't just spin these big boats head to wind, takes ages to sort out even if you don't damge anything and that is unlikely.

Crews hoping to use the Rolex Trophy Rating Series as a shakedown for the Rolex Sydney Hobart were today buffeted by atrocious conditions off Sydney Heads with one competing boat called on to test their Man Overboard recovery skills.

Trevor Taylor’s Western Australian Farr 47 Ausmaid, the most travelled interstate boat contesting the regatta and the Rolex Sydney Hobart, today lost a crewman over the side near the finish of race one.

While bowman Aaron Linham, 39, was fixing a broken topping lift on the spinnaker pole, a rope wrapped around his ankle and when the spinnaker filled, Linham was dragged into the water.

While not in immediate danger, Linham had to tread water for a few minutes in lumpy seas while the crew on Ausmaid dropped the spinnaker and doubled back to pick him up, four crewmembers hauling the lucky but soggy sailor back on deck.

“The crew executed a very good recovery,” said Linham, who spent the trip back to the CYCA marina with his ankle iced.

As the incident happened just 300 metres from the finish, amazingly Ausmaid sailed through the finish line to record a result however they withdrew from race two not because of the MOB but due to a rope wrapped around their propeller.

“Aaron seemed to think that we should finish the race,” said a relieved skipper Trevor Taylor. While obviously not a planned manoeuvre, Taylor and his crew appreciated the opportunity to practice a Man Overboard recovery while under spinnaker.

“We hadn’t practiced a MOB with the kite up. Now all the boys know how to do it,” said Taylor.

I am very familiar with the RORC quickstop method, but in this case I beg to differ. I have sailed a lot on TP52's and to spin one of those suckers into a crash tack (which usually entails spinning the boat immediately past head to wind without advising anyone)in that amount of breeze would ensue in major carnage (possibly a rig loss) which would take a lot longer than to rectify than it would take to follow a more structured technique. If you want to be pedantic, as soon as call comes "man overboard" designate a man to constantly keep him in sight launch danbuoy which will help this role, push MOB button and fire brace which should be on a martin breaker in those conditions. all thsi should be done immediately. recover spinnaker with helmsman monitoring so he can turn up wind as soon as spinnaker is under control. check lines start motor and get him back onboard. I think this would be the best procedure on that baot in those conditions.

But this isn't what Shogun did, so they must have had a plan that entailed quickstop, kept the rig pointing at the sky and didn't end up with more crew in the water. That's why I suggested having a chat with them to see how they handled it. If they could do it, others should be able to as well. In that situation, part of my plan would be that everyone on board knew just what to expect if they heard the "Man Overboard" cry, and they would know to hang on - hard!

Not criticising, you clearly know of what you speak, but there may be an opportunity here. I personally give priority to minimising distance of travel away from the MOB to the extent possible - because I've been in the search mode and know how hard that is in anything other than flat water.

Of course, it may be easier to spot a person against a background of rouge waves - I have no experience with that.

Edit: just saw your next post. I've sailed with a number of the Ausmaid crew - ORCV safety at sea instructors - on a triple spreader in line rig relying on runners, and our plan for MOB under kite was quickstop - but the helmsman had to to know not to go too far through the wind or the rig would come down. Part of the plan. The more strings to your bow, the better. IMHO.

I am not sure what Shogun did, maybe the vernacular use of a crash tack is misleading!! I agree the priorities are hard to firstly ascertain and secondly instigate quickly. I take your point that the distance is to be minimised and I agree, but in extreme conditions the usual preactise is to get kite down and get back ASAp. particularly in this style of craft, a ragging spinnaker can shake them to bits. i have been helmsman in a couple of recoveries and they spook you. My fear is the thought that something snarls/ tangles/ breaks and we can't get back because we panicked and ended up with a forestay wrap or spinnaker around prop. etc.

But when its all said and done they got BMJ back onboard. good debate anyway.

I will be looking out for rouge waves in future thats for sure.

It's an interesting topic, and one that crosses my mind from time to time, should it ever happen to me.

But I agree with Recid. Stay near the MOB.

As I see it, and I've not really practiced it in any breeze, it goes as follows:

MOB is called.

Boat is turned into the breeze, hardened up if you like, whilst the pole, if not an assy, is eased to the forestay. At the same time, the sheet is being brought in as the halyard is dropped. So, depower kite, pull it in as all lines eased. In theory it should, at worst, end up against the main, which is still probably eased.

I can see, however, how this wouldn't always work. Like entering/exiting the dock, or going on a date, or.....

Whilst interested in the thread being discussed - if I may diverse with nothing to do with sailing. (flame away)

Watched the Queen Elizabeth 2 depart Melbourne this evening - interestingly no "H" flag flying - so no pilot on board.

The majority of working container boats leaving Melbourne have a pilot on board and fly the "H" flag but I have never really taken notice of the cruise boats.

Annual Port Phillip inter-club measurement handicap teams challenge - the Association Cup - is approaching... Mar 19.

Good move to change it to a 1-day event instead of 2 this year...

Can anyone take this off RYCV?

Will Royals dust off and roll out their one-race-a-year fleet again... that still can't be beaten?

How many A10's will Royals include in their team?

Can SYC get their fleet to actually show up?

Can the other Clubs get enuff boats together to make up a team?

Does anyone really care?

Annual Port Phillip inter-club measurement handicap teams challenge - the Association Cup - is approaching... Mar 19.

Good move to change it to a 1-day event instead of 2 this year...

Can anyone take this off RYCV?

Yes.

Will Royals dust off and roll out their one-race-a-year fleet again... that still can't be beaten?

Yes.

How many A10's will Royals include in their team?

One for each division.

Can SYC get their fleet to actually show up?

Good question?

Can the other Clubs get enuff boats together to make up a team?

In all divisions? probably not.

Does anyone really care?

Yes.

KCAB

I hear that at least one protest has been lodged against the race committee.

A good move - use the process and the RRS - rather than grumbling at the bar!

Protest- why, what happened ? I was o/s.

KCAB

I hear that at least one protest has been lodged against the race committee.

A good move - use the process and the RRS - rather than grumbling at the bar!

Protest- why, what happened ? I was o/s.

I was there and I don't know what happened either.

38s, spill the beans.

Mex

Saddened to hear of the passing of Ed Wall-Smith last Friday. One of the stalwarts of the Melbourne offshore scene going back to his Farr 42 Rimfire and the Frers 43 Challenge 111, he had sailed his beloved 11m OD Ultimate Tune for the last 11-12 years out of SYC and was still racing regularly up to October last year at 84 years of age. One of the really nice people in Melbourne sailing, Ed always loved a chat and always had a smile on his face. Condolences to his wife Dorothy and family and to all his former shipmates. Well sailed Ed! Fair winds and smooth seas.

post-449-067212500 1299454455_thumb.jpg

Saddened to hear of the passing of Ed Wall-Smith last Friday. One of the stalwarts of the Melbourne offshore scene going back to his Farr 42 Rimfire and the Frers 43 Challenge 111, he had sailed his beloved 11m OD Ultimate Tune for the last 11-12 years out of SYC and was still racing regularly up to October last year at 84 years of age. One of the really nice people in Melbourne sailing, Ed always loved a chat and always had a smile on his face. Condolences to his wife Dorothy and family and to all his former shipmates. Well sailed Ed! Fair winds and smooth seas.

Well said Sportscar.

Having sailed on Rossco's Affirmative Action (International 11 metre) against Eddie over the last 6 years, I can honestly say "Fast" Eddie was a fierce competitor, and an inspirational man. To be able and willing, to part climb, part be hoisted up Ultimate Tune's mast to do some maintenance only 6 months prior to his passing, is and should be an inspiration to everyone that age is only a limitation if you think it is.

To Eddie Wall-Smith from the crew of Affirmative Action and Smooth Criminal; Congratulations, on a life well lived.

Fair winds Eddie from the guys who sailed on the Clifton brick in the late 80's who still now remember & revisit those "there we were days" when Eddie would execute the G force turn without warning and ending up in the piss, and the downwind rolls in 25-30 knts doing 11.2 knts of boat speed. Did have it on fire @12.7 in the ocean once.As a physio Eddie would crack your back before an ocean race and then once out the heads would retire to a bunk as the effects of chronic sea sickness set in, didn't stop him doing ocean stuff. Great bloke and will be sadly missed. Condolences to his family and friends.

Didn't know Eddie, but I sailed a few Hobarts with Charles ("Chook") Wall-Smith from Adelaide. Not a common name, maybe brothers? Bloody good bloke. Chook would be in his late 70's now I'd guess, still going strong as far as I know.

Sail on Eddie.

Well done to all in the Grassy ( or should that be "glassy" Race just run and won this weekend. Big boats cleaned up by getting through the tidal gate before the change that stopped most of the littl'uns. Big raps to Team Nutcracker (X-35OD) and only sorry I couldn't have been with you guys (& gal)as I am with our kids at the Cadet States in Geelong.

7th home in a 35fter in that fleet is an awesome result. And a special rap for Mrs Sportscar on her first time back in the ocean since 1997 - you've still got it, my ocean girl!

post-449-007251800 1300018353_thumb.jpg

Report here:

http://www.orcv.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2247:2011m2kipresentations&catid=23:king-island&Itemid=514

Royal's Association Cup team

IRC A

Living Doll

Chutzpah 38

Executive Decision

AMS A

Swordfish Trombone

Wake

Apache

IRC B

Surprise

Top Gun

Serious Yahoo

AMS B

Penfold Audi Sport

Godzilla

Footloose

Four A10s in 3 of 4 divisions, plus Surprise and PASport as all rounders, with Godzilla and Wake for the light stuff. Chutzpah 38 to go head-to-head against Challenge?

A very hard to beat team.

Forecast for Saturday;

Winds: Southeasterly 5 to 10 knots tending south to southeasterly up to 20 knots during the afternoon then tending east to southeasterly during the evening. Seas: Below 0.5 metres increasing to 1 metre during the evening.

However forecast models show max of 15 knots late afternoon? who knows could be nothing!

Does anybody have a copy of the raft up before the Association Cup way back about 1985-87? Pic was taken from BRYC rescue boat after ferrying out a heap of slabs for the boats waiting for breeze. A glassout, but nobody anchored. Eventually breeze came in about 1500 and a 1 lap race was run. Some crews were a little worse for wear after waiting about 5 hours - and consuming a bit of beaverage.

Does anybody have a copy of the raft up before the Association Cup way back about 1985-87? Pic was taken from BRYC rescue boat after ferrying out a heap of slabs for the boats waiting for breeze. A glassout, but nobody anchored. Eventually breeze came in about 1500 and a 1 lap race was run. Some crews were a little worse for wear after waiting about 5 hours - and consuming a bit of beaverage.

yeah JG I reckon either Buddah or Willo has one, failing that I know someone who may have 'aquired' one once, I'll ask around

It was a great snap eh? Ithink Apollo2, Bacardi, Challenge2 and a few others?

yeah JG I reckon either Buddah or Willo has one, failing that I know someone who may have 'aquired' one once, I'll ask around

There is one on the wall at Sandy or was "once".

Pretty sure that photo was auctioned off with lots of other historically significant items just before they knocked down the old SYC building. If not it would be in storage with so many other photos now that the Club is a corporate entity and has fuck all wall space for such things. Besides, who wants to see yachting photos at a wedding function centre?

My old man has the copy that was on the wall at SYC.

Royal's Association Cup team

IRC A

Living Doll

Chutzpah 38

Executive Decision

AMS A

Swordfish Trombone

Wake

Apache

IRC B

Surprise

Top Gun

Serious Yahoo

AMS B

Penfold Audi Sport

Godzilla

Footloose

Four A10s in 3 of 4 divisions, plus Surprise and PASport as all rounders, with Godzilla and Wake for the light stuff. Chutzpah 38 to go head-to-head against Challenge?

A very hard to beat team.

Forecast for Saturday;

Winds: Southeasterly 5 to 10 knots tending south to southeasterly up to 20 knots during the afternoon then tending east to southeasterly during the evening. Seas: Below 0.5 metres increasing to 1 metre during the evening.

However forecast models show max of 15 knots late afternoon? who knows could be nothing!

Yeah, so once again, we see A10's in most divisions - wonder why ? And wonder who's going win the Assoc Cup ? A lot of coin is invested in these 'measurement' systems, but some things never change.

Who cares anyway.

SYC Association Cup team

IRC A:

Calm

Cougar

Scarlet Runner

AMS A:

Bandit

Challenge

Wicked

IRC B:

INSX

Intrusion

Wavelength

AMS B:

Rhiannon

Watermark

Young Lion

Comments anyone?

Assoc Cup is an irrelevant non-event these days. RYCV wants it more than anyone else so they drag out their otherwise (partly) mothballed fleet of rating bandits and antiquated A10s to retain at all costs. No one else gives a flying fuck anymore and they haven't for many years.

Waste of a good sailing day which is, in itself, an improvement now they have cut it back to a single day event whereas previously it used to be a waste of a whole fucking weekend.

Assoc Cup is an irrelevant non-event these days. RYCV wants it more than anyone else so they drag out their otherwise (partly) mothballed fleet of rating bandits and antiquated A10s to retain at all costs. No one else gives a flying fuck anymore and they haven't for many years.

Waste of a good sailing day which is, in itself, an improvement now they have cut it back to a single day event whereas previously it used to be a waste of a whole fucking weekend.

I appreciate you point of view.

If that is the general consensus, why does SYC enter a team, considering the cost of entry is born by the members? Save the $1000 and put it to use elsewhere? If so where?

If that is the general consensus, why does SYC enter a team, considering the cost of entry is born by the members? Save the $1000 and put it to use elsewhere? If so where?

The concept of some form of interclub competition is still sound, provided it's in a relevant format.

Some suggestions...

1. Why not just incorporate it into the Range Series which is already an "interclub" event - Best three boats from each club on the day count??!!

OR

2. Send a bunch of the best SAILORS (as opposed to rating bandit boats) from each club out in a One Design class??!!

SYC smacked again. I'd suggest you just not bother in future. It's becoming embarrassing for you guys.

SYC smacked again. I'd suggest you just not bother in future. It's becoming embarrassing for you guys.

A very distinct pugnent smell of mothballs out there today.

Surprise, surprise - << yawn >>.

So, does anyone care ?

So, does anyone care ?

Negative

So, does anyone care ?

Negative

Obviously some care as they were out there (proudly?) doing their best for their Club.

Even a frustrating day's racing still beats a day not out there racing!

Don - re your post re SYC's team above.... looked good on paper (at least boats selected were regular competitors, without a musty, moth-ball smell), perhaps couple of suprising omissions, but results on the day say that Royals team was clearly better - combination of good boats with favourable ratings that were crewed by skilled yachties.

Would the result have been different if the 1st race had not been ABN? Now there's some controversy worthy of this site.....?

Methinks I 'm getting a whiff of sour grapes amidst the smell of mothballs! :o

I'm not in the game now but history seems to be repeating itself over and over again. Royals has a good fleet of well rated boats CONSISTENTLY AND RELIABLY WELL SAILED. Other clubs teams seem riven with internal strife and club politics and seem to be picked more on reputation and [dare I say it] value, rather than results and skill.

As for the conditions, yes the races are sailed in usually light and or tricky conditions but that hasn't changed for 30 years so why was any body surprised!![ :) ]

And if the A10's are still winning, why hasn't Sandy got any in its team?? Maybe a bit OD A10 sailing might show up who really are the best sailors, and not "merely" who can pick the best team, over and over again.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump! All gone quiet on this thread lately..... is there no more gossip/news/rumours/lies happening around Port Phillip? Has everyone packed up for the Summer? Still one more CMS to go this weekend, but seems that interest with the D0 owners is not that strong any more.... is D0 dead? Should it be there next year, or folded into D1? Hmmm suspect a few D1 owners would have plenty to say about that...? ;)

CMS results look mostly sorted anyway... at least in D0 and1; D2 & 3 still have some doubt, although Audi PS looking strong in D2. D3 looks like a battle of the Young 88's.

Bump! All gone quiet on this thread lately..... is there no more gossip/news/rumours/lies happening around Port Phillip? Has everyone packed up for the Summer? Still one more CMS to go this weekend, but seems that interest with the D0 owners is not that strong any more.... is D0 dead? Should it be there next year, or folded into D1? Hmmm suspect a few D1 owners would have plenty to say about that...? ;)

CMS results look mostly sorted anyway... at least in D0 and1; D2 & 3 still have some doubt, although Audi PS looking strong in D2. D3 looks like a battle of the Young 88's.

D0 does seem to have got thin on the ground. 3-5 boats sometimes. Fun boats to sail but all the close racing seems to be in the 35-45 bracket

Let's face it... The Association Cup is a joke. The rating system favours the Adams 10s and Sandringham doesn't have any, so they will always lose. I don't think there is any question that Sandringham has better boats and equal if not better sailors. Eg... Pete Williams, David Suda, Challenge Again Crew, The Barry Etchells crew (Damien King, Simon Cunnington, James Ware and Andy Butler), Ross Lloyd, Grant Allen, Mark Turnbull, Nick Partridge, Ben Morrison Jack... Have I made my point?

A one design regatta would be great, although it would have to reduce participation levels somewhat. There is no way that Royals will go for a one design regatta anyway, because they would finish last. Do they even have any good one design sailors? Kirwin Robb and possibly Chutzpah are all I can think of. I would suggest that these so called 'quality sailors' sailing these Adams 10s would get smashed by any of the afore mentioned names in a one design boat of any description...

SYC, RBYC, RGYC or even Mornington YC would have to be fighting out the medals in an Association Cup one design regatta wouldn't they?

Solutions?

SYC Stops entering the Association Cup

SYC gets Adams 10s or gets their ratings modified somehow

SYC gets nasty and teams races Royals out of the points (tricky to do under the current RSS)

SYC organises it's own event in a one design class

Totally agree with you there on all suggestions. I did it this year, first time in years and it was good to see the Royals boats that were launched when i was just a baby...... boats from the era of wooden piers (do you remember them?)....when thongs weren't allowed in bars and members were a pain in the ass to deal with.

We did our bit and took out the best boat in the royals fleet (actually the only good boat) but were left pondering why would you bother even turning up at an event like this. It isn't sour grapes, it is just sad watching a whole club get so excited about such a bad regatta.

"Why do we turn up" and "its embarrassing".... good call. Enjoy crossing the bridge and travelling back in time if that's your thing. Don't let anyone tell dads army that The Assoication Cup isn't the pinacle of Australian yachting. The regatta will get interesting in the next couple of years when the RYCV fleet retires to the Maritime Museum.

Let's face it... The Association Cup is a joke. The rating system favours the Adams 10s and Sandringham doesn't have any, so they will always lose. I don't think there is any question that Sandringham has better boats and equal if not better sailors. Eg... Pete Williams, David Suda, Challenge Again Crew, The Barry Etchells crew (Damien King, Simon Cunnington, James Ware and Andy Butler), Ross Lloyd, Grant Allen, Mark Turnbull, Nick Partridge, Ben Morrison Jack... Have I made my point?

A one design regatta would be great, although it would have to reduce participation levels somewhat. There is no way that Royals will go for a one design regatta anyway, because they would finish last. Do they even have any good one design sailors? Kirwin Robb and possibly Chutzpah are all I can think of. I would suggest that these so called 'quality sailors' sailing these Adams 10s would get smashed by any of the afore mentioned names in a one design boat of any description...

SYC, RBYC, RGYC or even Mornington YC would have to be fighting out the medals in an Association Cup one design regatta wouldn't they?

Solutions?

SYC gets nasty and teams races Royals out of the points (tricky to do under the current RSS)

Totally agree with you there on all suggestions. I did it this year, first time in years and it was good to see the Royals boats that were launched when i was just a baby...... boats from the era of wooden piers (do you remember them?)....when thongs weren't allowed in bars and members were a pain in the ass to deal with.

We did our bit and took out the best boat in the royals fleet (actually the only good boat) but were left pondering why would you bother even turning up at an event like this. It isn't sour grapes, it is just sad watching a whole club get so excited about such a bad regatta.

"Why do we turn up" and "its embarrassing".... good call. Enjoy crossing the bridge and travelling back in time if that's your thing. Don't let anyone tell dads army that The Assoication Cup isn't the pinacle of Australian yachting. The regatta will get interesting in the next couple of years when the RYCV fleet retires to the Maritime Museum.

Solutions?

I think Kirwan does most of his sailing out of Hobsons Bay? Ikon if not piloting the Eggshell

It's not just the rating system!

The divisional splits are probably the major issue. The way these are set allows A10's to sail in any division e.g. Executive Decision in IRC div A and Top Gun in IRC div 2, with Apache and Serious Yahoo in AMS div A. They didn't need a A10 in AMS div B as they had PASport, Godzilla, and Footloose.

Just an opinion as my boat doesn't rate well in either system.

It's not just the rating system!

The divisional splits are probably the major issue. The way these are set allows A10's to sail in any division e.g. Executive Decision in IRC div A and Top Gun in IRC div 2, with Apache and Serious Yahoo in AMS div A. They didn't need a A10 in AMS div B as they had PASport, Godzilla, and Footloose.

Just an opinion as my boat doesn't rate well in either system.

The Association Cup used to attract up to 14 (YES - FOURTEEN) Club teams in its heyday. Every Club in the Bay used to field a team. These days, the sailors have voted which is why you see only five participating clubs and really only two of those in with any realistic shot at winning it. The event is now deemed by the great majority of yacht clubs on Port Phillip to be irrelevant.

Clubs that used to participate included:

Geelong, Mornington, Blairgowrie, Port Melbourne, Black Rock ( BRYC actually won it once!), ORCV, Hastings and Westernport Marina Squadron. I think even QCYC did it one year. In those days the teams were IOR, JOG and Performance and it actually meant something to be selected to sail for your club, indeed some clubs even ran selection trials! In those days no self respecting club would have remotely considered entering yachts that sat on the hardstand unraced all year; their members would never have allowed it.

In Queensland we have a far more enlightened understanding of the club team racing universe.

St Helena Cup is run on PHS so we all know that a team from the host club (WMYC) will win as they set all the handicaps relative to their own club handicaps and course is cleverly constructed so no more than any one leg of the eight legs can be unpwind (the course is traditional you understand)so shitters easy outsail their handicaps.

It is the same course each day just sailed in opposite directions from day to day.

Everyone understands the rules of the game and nobody gets upset.

Perfect.

But play though otherwise.

Why doesn't Sandy just invite Royals to a one design regatta on the same weekend, open to other clubs.

It might just create some interest in the CUP again. You never know some of the old boys of Port Phillip bay might actually enjoy some real racing and learn something.

Each club enters 2-3 one design boats each.

10 Races in total, no drops over 2 days...

What one design should be used?

I can see Royal "loaning" A10s to SYC...NOT!

Sydney 38's

Bennetau 7.5's

S80's

Etchells

Int 11 metres

Diamonds

S&S34's

J24's

Which owners in their right minds would "loan" their boats for an interclub challenge?

Sydney 38's

Bennetau 7.5's

S80's

Etchells

Int 11 metres

Diamonds

S&S34's

J24's

Which owners in their right minds would "loan" their boats for an interclub challenge?

Oh shit Don, you're gonna get Walrus and his Royals cronies all wound up now; you left Bluebirds off the list!

One design ain't gonna happen for Assoc Cup in yours or my lifetime... and you can quote me on that.

What happened to Fartbags response to Judge's 23 Mar post #2947. I thought it was rather well constructed, with references to kitchens, mothballs, front fences and decaying marinas.

Deleted ???? WTF Flatty ?

This thread is poorer for the omission.

Assoc cup = still irrelevant.

Carry on.

Sydney 38's

Bennetau 7.5's

S80's

Etchells

Int 11 metres

Diamonds

S&S34's

J24's

Oh shit Don, you're gonna get Walrus and his Royals cronies all wound up now; you left Bluebirds off the list!

Apologies to the Royals mob, but that's the funniest post I've seen in a long while! Ripper, Flattie.:lol:

Sydney 38's

Bennetau 7.5's

S80's

Etchells

Int 11 metres

Diamonds

S&S34's

J24's

One design ain't gonna happen for Assoc Cup in yours or my lifetime... and you can quote me on that.

OK, here's a challenge.

Royals can enter 5 A10's

SYC will enter 5 Int 11 metres

The challenge is all boats sail off scratch (no handicaps)

Various Royals members are always commenting how fast the A10s are, this should be a walkover!!!

Any takers???

Sydney 38's

Bennetau 7.5's

S80's

Etchells

Int 11 metres

Diamonds

S&S34's

J24's

Apologies to the Royals mob, but that's the funniest post I've seen in a long while! Ripper, Flattie.:lol:

I was being serious Rick!

Sydney 38's

Bennetau 7.5's

S80's

Etchells

Int 11 metres

Diamonds

S&S34's

J24's

OK, here's a challenge.

Royals can enter 5 A10's

Various Royals members are always commenting how fast the A10s are, this should be a walkover!!!

Any takers???

Lets keep it cheap. Matchracing in Endeavour 24s would be a great way to settle this thing. Just don't tell them ours as a specially worked version...

post-13013-034084800 1302236897_thumb.jpg

Actually the idea of pitting 11's against 10's is not a bad idea, not for the Association Cup itself but maybe a "Little Association Cup"

Similar boats, similar size & similar YV Performance tcf's

SYC has four 11's on the hardstand with another in storage looking for reason to sail so five in total, Royals must have a heap to choose from.

Any spare Royals boats could go to Hobsons Bay.

Load them with your best club members.

Add Blairgowie to the mix and you have three, maybe four clubs with a chance to win rather than the two at present.

Run it over a couple of weekends with as many heats as you like to remove the conditions argument.

My vote is Walrus for Royals Team Manager.

Of coarse I'm just being silly, the A 10 people would never take up such a challenge

Sydney 38's

Bennetau 7.5's

S80's

Etchells

Int 11 metres

Diamonds

S&S34's

J24's

OK, here's a challenge.

Royals can enter 5 A10's

Any takers???

Lets keep it cheap. Matchracing in Endeavour 24s would be a great way to settle this thing. Just don't tell them ours as a specially worked version...

post-13013-034084800 1302236897_thumb.jpg

That's unfair. The last time I saw this boat it was in the process of be anti-fouled.

Great final race for the Club Marine series. We had Terra Firma wicked up on the downhill slides. I think top speed was 22 knots with the A4 and full main.

After lots of talk pre-race about early kite drops and cautious roundings we managed to sail past the bottom mark for the first time with the kite around the forestay and the jib only half up. At least we didn't break anything. Same can't be said for Scarlet Runner. Last count I heard was two spinnakers, a jib plus the second string main is now stuffed. Expensive day for Rob. Dave was pretending to look upset also (unsuccessfully).

Fun day had by most.

Mex

Frank Brockman unexpectedly passed away at home a few hours ago. Some of you might remember "Rage" the Adams 10 he bought and raced with great success. Our thoughts are with Helen.

I wondered why the flag was at half mast at RYCV this morning. We raced against Frank and 'Rage' for many years. He was a gentleman and it's sad to hear of his passing. Condolences.

John Bertrand will be skippering Challenge I believe.

Again?

Luckily S38's aren't owner/driver ruled.

Reminds me of the Docklands Challenge; started with winning Geelong Regatta divisional crews sailing against each other in Benny 7.5s, but in a few short years turned into let's cheer for the professionals in SB3's.

Again?

Reminds me of the Docklands Challenge; started with winning Geelong Regatta divisional crews sailing against each other in Benny 7.5s, but in a few short years turned into let's cheer for the professionals in SB3's.

They are owner driver however there was a rule made for Lou that says if the owner is over 70 something then he doesn't need to drive. Well thats what I gathered from the guys on Clockwork.

Again?

And the winner of the Audi car is, surprise surprise an Australian Tax Payer funded full time professional yacht's person. A much better advertisment for Audi than your local lads who would probally do burnouts anyway.Not taking away how good these people are, and the fact they often donate the use of the car to lesser being's it is all a PR stunt by Audi & SB3. Maybe next year they might tell the local dockland business owners that somethings on and they might open their doors for some extra turnover.Oh sorry that might draw attention away from the Audi corporate tent serving warm shit beer and wine at inflated price,s so that the Audi invited guests can have their imported refreshments from the back of the tent for free. To all you big boat participant's it's the same again next year. If they bother to turn up !

Anyone heard anything if Chris Dare has any plans to re-enter the Melbourne Big Boat scene again ? There was some whispers a while back he was looking at Rima2 which is a Yendys sistership.

Good rumour. The US is certainly flush with bargains in the grand prix racing space. And at 55 feet it would give him a little gap on the hot 50-52 footers and so frech aire around the race course. Interesting.

Mex

Anyone heard anything if Chris Dare has any plans to re-enter the Melbourne Big Boat scene again ? There was some whispers a while back he was looking at Rima2 which is a Yendys sistership.

Good rumour. The US is certainly flush with bargains in the grand prix racing space. And at 55 feet it would give him a little gap on the hot 50-52 footers and so frech aire around the race course. Interesting.

Mex

And the AUD buying 1.05 USD at the moment certainly helps things along.

Mex

Is this your new job Mex?

post-18690-008757000 1302752289_thumb.jpg

Mex

Check the entry list for Airlie Beach 2011. CD has already entered in Flirtatious - his Etchell!

Mex

Is this your new job Mex?

Why, yes it is! But who's the clown on my left?

Mex

If you pack of pussies want an "equal" race series for the Association Cup, then use one design boats and ballot your entire memberships to select the crews.

Which do you suggest?