Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

In their relentless quest for speed it's a pity they couldn't remove the loose nut behind the wheels for t'would be a simple but nevertheless effective way to enhance their performance.

?????????

What, so no one else is looking to improve their speed or rating? Nice sledge from the cheap seats.

Looking pretty quick in this video by Sexy Lexy.

Edit: looks like you can't access this video except through Facebook.

Mex

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

In their relentless quest for speed it's a pity they couldn't remove the loose nut behind the wheels for t'would be a simple but nevertheless effective way to enhance their performance.

?????????

The nut behind a wheel must be the guy who pays the bills i suspect. Unless it's a hired nut.

Seems like the Div 0 people are having a few problems forming a division in the Centenary Regatta so don't have a problem crashing Div 1.

Prey tell what would happen if there were not enough Div 1 boats to constitute a race, would same group gladly say come race with us?

Seems like the Div 0 people are having a few problems forming a division in the Centenary Regatta so don't have a problem crashing Div 1.

Prey tell what would happen if there were not enough Div 1 boats to constitute a race, would same group gladly say come race with us?

It's time to face it. Div 0 is dead so the guys in Div 1 better start getting used to the big boats being back in that Division. This being the case, I wonder whether a certain former Div 0 owner will be going ahead with his recent purchase order of one of the Ker 40's from Macca's.

It's time to face it. Div 0 is dead so the guys in Div 1 better start getting used to the big boats being back in that Division. This being the case, I wonder whether a certain former Div 0 owner will be going ahead with his recent purchase order of one of the Ker 40's from Macca's.

It's official: SYC has dumped Div Fuckall from their Centenary event with the couple of entries now shoehorned into Div One.

I wonder how those boats will go starting on a line with more than 5-6 other boats for the first time in a while. Just like a chocolate milkshake, only crunchy? :P

It's official: SYC has dumped Div Fuckall from their Centenary event with the couple of entries now shoehorned into Div One.

I wonder how those boats will go starting on a line with more than 5-6 other boats for the first time in a while. Just like a chocolate milkshake, only crunchy? :P

Of more interest given the weather forecast is whether all Div 1 boats will be able to finish the races within 30 minutes of the first boat, which should be Scarlet Runner which has an AMS rating 26% higher than the lowest rated boat (Benny First40).

Of more interest given the weather forecast is whether all Div 1 boats will be able to finish the races within 30 minutes of the first boat, which should be Scarlet Runner which has an AMS rating 26% higher than the lowest rated boat (Benny First40).

As I read it, the time limit is 90min or 30mins after first boat - which event is the later..... so the tail end still have the 90mins to finish if SR finished in <60mins.... but agree that given the forecast, the question is whether there be a race at all? Wind gods smiling at you Don - nice "smooth" weather for criminals....:)

Perhaps

So is this the end of the "Melbourne Big Boat Fleet" thread? Or simply re-name it, "Melbourne can't sustain a Big boat fleet"?

Shame, this is one of my favourite threads on SA.

As for the potential K40 owner, would this be the same former div 0 owner who has bit of a love affair with UK designers, hope not because that would be the kiss of death on a great boat given his history with dogs.......

So is this the end of the "Melbourne Big Boat Fleet" thread? Or simply re-name it, "Melbourne can't sustain a Big boat fleet"?

Shame, this is one of my favourite threads on SA.

As for the potential K40 owner, would this be the same former div 0 owner who has bit of a love affair with UK designers, hope not because that would be the kiss of death on a great boat given his history with dogs.......

Wrong ex-Div 0 owner. As for dogs, well I think even CD will admit the last one was a dog. Not sure about the ones before that though.

For the Centenary Regatta SYC should be condgratulated, great day, great courses given the conditions and great race management particularly with the Measuremt Handicap racing.

Great to see Lou "Clean up" in both divisions, 1st AMS (although there is someone really hurting) and 2nd IRC but again easily the best sailed boat on the water.

For the Centenary Regatta SYC should be condgratulated, great day, great courses given the conditions and great race management particularly with the Measuremt Handicap racing.

Great to see Lou "Clean up" in both divisions, 1st AMS (although there is someone really hurting) and 2nd IRC but again easily the best sailed boat on the water.

Not so sure about great race management when they sent Div 2 AMS/IRC upwind in the final race with a massive 50-60Deg shift to the left in the newly arrived breeze after the glass out making a mockery of the first windward leg. Dinghy racing at Sail Melbourne was abandoned & restarted for much smaller shifts and the same has happened for many keelboat races in the past too. Nevertheless a good day on the water with deserved winners in all measurement divisions. Our very own Anarchist Don had a particularly good day on Smoothy with a couple of race wins in Div 1 AMS.

And Jeppo's T870 is fairly rocketing along now that she has been fitted with a carbon stalk to replace the tin one they blasted out of the boat in the big wind race at Geelong in January.

Meanwhile on the J24 course, SDM (ask them!) the series winners actually stopped to go fishing in a flat patch and were rewarded with a couple of flathead.Sandringham Fishin' and Fightin'Club indeed. Good one Adam, Cam, Pauly etc...

SYC was pumping after the racing, we all lined up for a mass photo with photochick Alex McKinnon hoisted up on a forklift to get the shots. Louie (great to see him enjoying the day aboard Challenge on the water) got to cut the centenary birthday cake which was probably big enough to feed about 2% of those present and the disco on the Deck was hopping 'til late in the evening with the usual suspects in attendance. The mass vocal rendition of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was truly excruciating!!

Haven't been around the club for a bit with o/seas business commitments but that was good one to come home to!

Now, to turn my attention to much more important matters; Pippa Middleton's gorgeous arse!

And none of you SYC folk could even clap when Audi Penfold and Surprise walked off with their prizes.

You seem a demoralised lot. Go back to fishing.

Absolute fucking bullshit Walrus, jeez you are a grade A+ cunt and do your club no service with this sort of shit!!

They were specifically welcomed AND applauded by an appreciative audience on more than one occasion. Sorry if it offends you, but SYC members don't generally genuflect for visitors from Royal clubs but they do welcome them as kindred sailors. Crawl back under your rock you worthless turd.

And none of you SYC folk could even clap when Audi Penfold and Surprise walked off with their prizes.

You either were not in attendance or you are deaf and blind (could hear or see the clapping).

You really need a personality transplant.

Walrus, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. As an RYCV member, I felt very welcomed by the SYC lot. In fact Intrusion specificaly sailed over to us between racing to thank us for turning up and when we cleaned up in Division 3, there were several from Scarlett Runner, Intrusion and other Sandy boats who clapped loudly and congratualted me afterwards. Someone at the bar even tried to get me to join the club! I would also add that the race management was very good in testing conditions, absoutley no complaints there and they should be congratulated on a very good regatta.

I am mystified by Walrus' comments as I thought SYC was magnanimous in its acknowledgement of the efforts of all the visitors from other clubs who attended the Centenary Regatta. I clearly heard the SYC Commodore and the Club Captain Sail both make mention of it in their speeches and in my hearing, there was certainly plenty of applause for all the winners, from wherever they came.

We have already heard from Surprise in an earlier post here and APS's David Ellis and his wife joined us on the Nutcracker table for dinner and seemed to be enjoying themselves so I have no idea where Walrus got his info. The RYCV (and RBYC) boats that came to the regatta were all made welcome and were worthy competitors as always.

Walrus; friendly rivalry between clubs is a healthy thing but drumming up this sort of vitriolic crap out of nothing is despicable.

I thought most who frequent here regularly would know by now that Walrus is nothing but a trouble making, shit stiring freak show who thrives on getting reactions from the multiple piles of bullshit that he posts on here. Best not to feed his moronic juvenile habbits.

I thought most who frequent here regularly would know by now that Walrus is nothing but a trouble making, shit stiring freak show who thrives on getting reactions from the multiple piles of bullshit that he posts on here. Best not to feed his moronic juvenile habbits.

Possibly because his brother, an alright bloke (for a member of the judiciary :P ) and fellow anarchist, was once elected Commodore of their club whereas Walrus himself, with all the popularity and appeal of a known typhoid carrier, would struggle to get elected dog catcher.

Ain't that right GK?

My observations are comments from those in attendance who received the prizes as reported by them to Walrus.

I'm sorry to say that if you want to keep pumping sunshine up your arses at SYC, as is your want (We have no excuses for our Association Cup team, etc.) then you are going to have to cop the associated flack.

The beginning of true wisdom is to understand what your limitations are, acknowledge them and decide what to do about them.

RYCV may allegedly be a drinking club with a yachting problem, but what are you? A fishing club with a sailing problem?

I don't respond to personal insults, they generally say more about the publisher than anyone else.

You need time for reflection. Why did you drop Div 0? Because you don't get entrants or because you cannot win?

Don't you understand that you support the sport even if you come last?

Do I need to lecture you on ethics and sportsmanship?

No further correspondence on this vexed subject will be entered into. If you want to discuss it further, you know where to find me.

P.S. Your latest racing courses bore me; up, down, up down etc., and if there is a Five degree wind change, everything is moved. What happened to racing around (relatively) fixed marks, when a wind change made the First last and the Last first? I know, race results must be proportional to the cost of the vessel. Terrible when someone wins a race in an Adams Ten isn't it?.

My observations are comments from those in attendance who received the prizes as reported by them to Walrus.

I'm sorry to say that if you want to keep pumping sunshine up your arses at SYC, as is your want (We have no excuses for our Association Cup team, etc.) then you are going to have to cop the associated flack.

The beginning of true wisdom is to understand what your limitations are, acknowledge them and decide what to do about them.

RYCV may allegedly be a drinking club with a yachting problem, but what are you? A fishing club with a sailing problem?

I don't respond to personal insults, they generally say more about the publisher than anyone else.

You need time for reflection. Why did you drop Div 0? Because you don't get entrants or because you cannot win?

Don't you understand that you support the sport even if you come last?

Do I need to lecture you on ethics and sportsmanship?

No further correspondence on this vexed subject will be entered into. If you want to discuss it further, you know where to find me.

P.S. Your latest racing courses bore me; up, down, up down etc., and if there is a Five degree wind change, everything is moved. What happened to racing around (relatively) fixed marks, when a wind change made the First last and the Last first? I know, race results must be proportional to the cost of the vessel. Terrible when someone wins a race in an Adams Ten isn't it?.

Having spoken at length on the night to both the (RYCV) persons to whom you refer as having received the prizes, I can state here, or anywhere else for that matter, without fear of contradiction that you are an unmitigated liar. Having established that fact, the rest of what you have to say is of no consequence. BTW, the race courses were not as you have described; they were in fact trapezoidal, you know, with a good old fashioned reaching leg for a bit of variety. Perhaps those in attendance who received the prizes neglected to tell you that.

Geoff, you are a sad pathetic excuse for a has been/never really was sailor and an absolute disgrace to your club and to the sport of sailing.

Flatbag:

Having spoken at length on the night to both the (RYCV) persons to whom you refer as having received the prizes, I can state here, or anywhere else for that matter, without fear of contradiction that you are an unmitigated liar.

I spoke to the people concerned at approximately 4.30 pm Sunday as they were packing sails on the lawn and later on the deck and they volunteered that information. I didn't wring this out of them, I simply asked them how they went. I then joked that a gift of flathead might be in order as we discussed why a club with so much resources seems to produce nothing in the way of sailing performance, camaraderie nor sportsmanship, You seem to have a bad case of "If I have money, I must win, or I will take my marbles and go home."

Your posts in particular, demonstrate this unsporting attitude rather well:

Flatbag, March 18th 2011 opining that his Two million dollar yachts can't win the Association Cup (yet again).

Assoc Cup is an irrelevant non-event these days. RYCV wants it more than anyone else so they drag out their otherwise (partly) mothballed fleet of rating bandits and antiquated A10s to retain at all costs. No one else gives a flying fuck anymore and they haven't for many years.

Waste of a good sailing day which is, in itself, an improvement now they have cut it back to a single day event whereas previously it used to be a waste of a whole fucking weekend.

..After it was pointed out that certain yachts had sworn they found and rounded a race mark that was proven to be non existent (10 Feb 2011):

No one found it bozo, the mark was out of the water for maintenance and anti foul in Williamstown. Once the SYC RC found that to be the case the event was deemed to be no-race and abandoned. If you must refute every post I make then take the fucking trouble to find out the facts you ignorant cunt! (...and that last statement is an irrefutable fact)

..explaining why he isn't racing (18 Jan 2011).

No way dude,way too many lonely ladies around in Meltown while their boys play boats in G'town. Rich pickings indeed! :lol:

More quotes from Chairman Flatbag:

....Bagging the Geelong Regatta as if bagging the Association cup wasn't enough (17 Jan 2011)

Let the people speak on this. Impressive entry list right across all divisions, no argument. Do me a favour; wait until after the regatta and look at the result sheets to see how many boats DNC after the the Passsage Race. Then tell me what a hot regatta it is.

...Bagging Beneteaus (24 Nov 2010):

Why is that relevant? What I don't own now and never will is a mediocre piece of structurally questionable badly finished French shit that couldn't sail out of sight on a very dark night. And yes the 10R fits nicely into that category.

...Telling someone, in a caring and sharing manner, that their vessel is unsafe (29 Sep 2010):

But then again, you'll probably find some less dramatic way to take yourself out. Fuckwits like you have 'Darwin' writ large all over them.

Either way; no great loss...

... Advising us all (28 Sept 2010)

Way off topic I know but you should be careful what you write in public forums

And more Flatbag ramblings.

...Bagging someone else (16 july 2010)

I see ORCV website is today touting a Blairgowrie YS function to be held uptown in Melbourne soon. It's an evening with Wild Oats whereby you can go along and listen to the skipper of Wox and Woxi talk about his greatness, his importance and how truly cool it is to race an old blokes boat when all the old cunt does is pay for it. As an added bonus the evening will be MC'd by Australian yachtings' very own Master of Modesty, the legendary "I've slept with everyone including Bob Oatley" Rob Mundle.

Ordinarily I would leap at the opportunity to pay a paltry $AUD90.00 to listen to an evening of sycophantic self aggrandisement but unfortunately it's on the same night I had set aside to stick hot needles in my eyeballs so regrettably I'll have to give it a miss. I am sure others will bring us up to speed after the event.

....objecting when someone tries to find out who he is (13 May 2010)

CAUTION: JG, I really am not the Steve (or any other Steve for that matter) of whom you speak so before you go making even more of a fuckwit of yourself and mistakenly upset that 'Steve' by your own ignorance, you need to get that straight. We had no conversation at SYC this year, indeed I haven't seen you around there for at least a couple of years and haven't missed you. Jeez you're getting bitter & twisted in your advancing years but I guess living on a Bounty 35' in all that heat will do that to you. Lighten up

...and then bagging the Association Cup AGAIN, because SYC didn't win it (28 Mar 2010).

The event is the loser here Walrus and sailors have voted with their feet and walked away from what was once a prestigious event. It is now an openly manipulated farce.

BTW are you referring to one of the easy to sail Div 1 A Tens or one of the easy to sail Div 2 A Tens?

....and so it goes on year after year. Lots of heat, very little light, pathetic really. You should perhaps take your own advice and be careful what you write on public forums.

Lord, I was born a rambling man... :lol: Flattered by all that attention GK. See you on the water some day - if you can find someone who will take you racing that is.

Lord, I was born a rambling man... :lol: Flattered by all that attention GK. See you on the water some day - if you can find someone who will take you racing that is.

But were you born on the back seat of a Greyhound bus? ;)

A interesting piece of information regarding the recent Victorian IRC/AMS State Championships.

There were more boats rated under AMS than IRC in all divisions and the results were also closer.

Doesn't that make AMS the premier rating system in Victoria?

A interesting piece of information regarding the recent Victorian IRC/AMS State Championships.

There were more boats rated under AMS than IRC in all divisions and the results were also closer.

And Division 2 has the most entries in both rating systems, which must make it the premier division. :P

And Division 2 has the most entries in both rating systems, which must make it the premier division. :P

Why not! Certain un-named Div 2 boat/s were trying to start with Div 1 in the first race start, which was a surprise manouvering concern to certain un-named Div 1 boat/s.

Why not! Certain un-named Div 2 boat/s were trying to start with Div 1 in the first race start, which was a surprise manouvering concern to certain un-named Div 1 boat/s.

Why not indeed !

Certain un-named administrations should get their documentation correct - and without more revisions than one could count on one's hands. :angry:

Interesting observations regarding the number of AMS vs IRC participants and no doubt confirms the steady trend of IRC decline, particularly amongst the smaller boats in Victoria at least.

I think the other issue was for this regatta the small number of Div 1 entries compared to Div 2 which makes one wonder on the change to break points across all divisions bought on by Div 0 was wise

It seems to me that Div 2 in fact now offers easily the best and closest racing with well matched boats of similar size and handicap whilst Div 1 has suffered and participants more often than not have to face not knowing what boats will be combined until the last moment.

If I am critical at all of the regatta it is around the single day format for what was billed as State Championship, somthing I think could be improved on.

Planning is now well underway by a SYC group to run a two (or even two and a half) day event across the Labour Day weekend in March 2012 that will closely follow the format established by RYCV in the early ninties in the Ord Minute Regatta?, with yachts limited to around 35' LOA with the measurement system at this stage planned to be limited to AMS, with a EHC system included for those who hate any measurement system.

Class racing will be included additionally within the races for any that can form a reasonable number of one design and/or one one type yachts

The timing of the Regatta takes advantage of a Melbourne long weekend in good weather and traditional stable sailing conditions and does not clash with ORCV events as the type of yachts sought are hardly the ocean racing type.

Comments and feedback welcome.

Interesting observations regarding the number of AMS vs IRC participants and no doubt confirms the steady trend of IRC decline, particularly amongst the smaller boats in Victoria at least.

I think the other issue was for this regatta the small number of Div 1 entries compared to Div 2 which makes one wonder on the change to break points across all divisions bought on by Div 0 was wise

It seems to me that Div 2 in fact now offers easily the best and closest racing with well matched boats of similar size and handicap whilst Div 1 has suffered and participants more often than not have to face not knowing what boats will be combined until the last moment.

If I am critical at all of the regatta it is around the single day format for what was billed as State Championship, somthing I think could be improved on.

Planning is now well underway by a SYC group to run a two (or even two and a half) day event across the Labour Day weekend in March 2012 that will closely follow the format established by RYCV in the early ninties in the Ord Minute Regatta?, with yachts limited to around 35' LOA with the measurement system at this stage planned to be limited to AMS, with a EHC system included for those who hate any measurement system.

Class racing will be included additionally within the races for any that can form a reasonable number of one design and/or one one type yachts

The timing of the Regatta takes advantage of a Melbourne long weekend in good weather and traditional stable sailing conditions and does not clash with ORCV events as the type of yachts sought are hardly the ocean racing type.

Some interesting points there. As you have said, in the early 90s RYCV used to run a Sunday winter series (NEC? IIRC)for boats under 35ft. We used to race the old wide red beast in those days and it was great fun against Bruce T in earlier Chutzpahs, Rob Hick in some of his designs, Dave Eichmeyer in various Hot To Trots, a bunch of half and 3/4 tonners and a number of one designs like J24s and S80s etc. Unfortunately they wilted under pressure and opened it up to bigger and bigger boats until it folded against the competition of the long standing ORCV Winter Series which had always run on alternate weeks.

I absolutely agree that some of the best sailing right now is in Div 2 where there are a good number of similar sized (mid 30s) and similar speed boats fighting it out in every race. These include Syd 36s, Benny 35, INSX, Seaquest RP36s, Archambaults 31 & 35s, Adams Tens and my current ride, the X-35OD. They all get up on their day and do well and all are capable of winning on AMS/IRC. A big advantage of this close racing is that we are all getting better and sailing faster. The boat handling and crew work is great to see at close quarters and any slip up will cost places. The last couple of CM Range series and last years ORCV Winter Series saw really good close and exciting racing amongst that group. Last season saw several boats close to the tcf cut off point elect to move down from Div 1 to Div 2 to increase the fleet even more. Div 2 offers us much more fun than watching big boat transoms disappear into the distance.

To all our fellow Div 2 competitors over the last couple of seasons; thanks, it's been great fun!

Nuts is heading north this week en route in stages to Airlie Beach for some fun in the sun in August so we will miss the ORCV Winter series this year but we are looking forward to the next summer season and resuming racing in the heat of Div 2 where the action is.

Why not indeed !

Certain un-named administrations should get their documentation correct - and without more revisions than one could count on one's hands. :angry:

Surely your not talking about the original regatta NOR, then Amendment 1 refering to the clubs SI's used as the regatta SI's, then the amendments that amended the club's SI's, rather than amending the original amendment 1 refering to the original club SI's, which of course visiting yachts did not have, so they needed to download the club SI's from the club website(not amended), print, read and understand the orginal, non-amended SI's in order to fully understand what the amendments 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 were actually amending??? Especially since amendment 1 was not actually amending anything, rather it was referencing a non-amended club publication. No hang on....the club SIs have been amended since being published, which meant visitors also needed to download the amendments to the club SI's reference these against the SI's, then reference the regatta amendments against the club SIs both amended and non amended.

Did I get that right????

Would it not have been easier to produce a set of SI's specific to the regatta??

By the way, I decided to amend the above reply, but I ended up editing an amendment which has now set off a time/ spacial vortex which is currently devouring life as we know it.

"Its life Jim but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it. It life Jim........"

Newbie to this forum (so bring on mandatory comments re initiation ceremony etc)....

If the above is actually correct about the initiative on Labour Day, then this supposed "SYC Group" may wish to take it up with the SYC Sail Committee and or Club who know nothing about it..... :blink:

Why not indeed !

Surely your not talking about the original regatta NOR, then Amendment 1 refering to the clubs SI's used as the regatta SI's, then the amendments that amended the club's SI's, rather than amending the original amendment 1 refering to the original club SI's, which of course visiting yachts did not have, so they needed to download the club SI's from the club website(not amended), print, read and understand the orginal, non-amended SI's in order to fully understand what the amendments 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 were actually amending??? Especially since amendment 1 was not actually amending anything, rather it was referencing a non-amended club publication. No hang on....the club SIs have been amended since being published, which meant visitors also needed to download the amendments to the club SI's reference these against the SI's, then reference the regatta amendments against the club SIs both amended and non amended.

Did I get that right????

Would it not have been easier to produce a set of SI's specific to the regatta??

Don... is this an offer to take on the responsibility for developing these race documents from now on?

Don... is this an offer to take on the responsibility for developing these race documents from now on?

Good point. There's no point complaining unless I'm prepared to bear the brunt of future vitriol!

I accept your offer.

Do I get a sceptre or at least a big stick?

We should talk soon.

Congratulations on your ascendance to high office Don. We look forward to flawless sailing instructions in future. :P

Welcome Wicked One. Big call going for a swim in Port Phillip on the last day of April in Melbourne! What a glam day it was.

To those allegedly planning an SYC keelboat regatta the that time you should be aware that Labour Day long weekend is traditionally the weekend when many off the beach classes hold their Vic state tiles.

So what you say? Many of the kids that sail dinghies' parents sail keelboats and would have to choose between upsetting the kids and your proposed regatta. The kids will win that one, hands down, every time.

I managed to snap off a few shots from the rail of Nutcracker on Saturday:2 here and more to follow...

(No watermarks and if you want them in higher res, just PM me)

post-449-094579500 1304473584_thumb.jpg

post-449-013999400 1304473614_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on your ascendance to high office Don. We look forward to flawless sailing instructions in future. :P

Welcome Wicked One. Big call going for a swim in Port Phillip on the last day of April in Melbourne! What a glam day it was.

To those allegedly planning an SYC keelboat regatta the that time you should be aware that Labour Day long weekend is traditionally the weekend when many off the beach classes hold their Vic state tiles.

So what you say? Many of the kids that sail dinghies' parents sail keelboats and would have to choose between upsetting the kids and your proposed regatta. The kids will win that one, hands down, every time.

I managed to snap off a few shots from the rail of Nutcracker on Saturday:2 here and more to follow...

Ahhh yes.... the penalty suffered by the foredeckie for stuffing up... always been a fan of keel-hauling.

A wicked one for Wicked One:

post-449-056163700 1304474499_thumb.jpg

Lou's Sydney 38 Challenge doing it to Reverie, a Beneteau First 45

post-449-022179500 1304474543_thumb.jpg

Frank driving Radford 35 Horizon Sprint

post-449-086902400 1304474579_thumb.jpg

Farr 52 Goldfinger

post-449-029565500 1304474600_thumb.jpg

T 980 Dark Energy waiting for wind

post-449-026146500 1304474622_thumb.jpg

And finally a big thanks to the guys that make it happen

post-449-022077200 1304474656_thumb.jpg

I have not yet ascended, rather I have decided to spend a dutiful amount of time gazing at my navel, and pontificating variations on windward-leeward courses including mid upwind leg gates and downwind finishes, but more importantly which hand to hold "The BIG Stick" in.

Which is an interesting conundrum because once ascension has actually occurred I may not have "hands" to hold "The BIG Stick" with anymore.

This acsension business is actually no small matter, after all, were you in my shoes would you not want an "actual" hand to hold "The BIG Stick" in??

I have not yet ascended, rather I have decided to spend a dutiful amount of time gazing at my navel, and pontificating variations on windward-leeward courses including mid upwind leg gates and downwind finishes, but more importantly which hand to hold "The BIG Stick" in.

Which is an interesting conundrum because once ascension has actually occurred I may not have "hands" to hold "The BIG Stick" with anymore.

This acsension business is actually no small matter, after all, were you in my shoes would you not want an "actual" hand to hold "The BIG Stick" in??

I guess it all comes down to how big "The BIG Stick" actually is and that may necessitate the testimony of independent witnesses as I ain't goin' anywhere near that. All this chat about big sticks and ascending is quite disturbing. As Adam Evans so succinctly named his J24; SDM! Brevity, as we all know, is the soul of wit.

Good to see Smoothie out there on Saturday. Even with that digitally challenged Kiwi aboard :lol:

I like the sound of this.

I don't have OTB kids, or any other kind for that matter, and I hate not being able to sail on weekends just because something else is on somewhere else in Victoria e.g. ORCV races, Labour Day weekend, plus others.

Does Smoothie at 36 feet fit into the "around 35 foot LOA"??

Tell me more.

Some interesting points there. As you have said, in the early 90s RYCV used to run a Sunday winter series (NEC? IIRC)for boats under 35ft. We used to race the old wide red beast in those days and it was great fun against Bruce T in earlier Chutzpahs, Rob Hick in some of his designs, Dave Eichmeyer in various Hot To Trots, a bunch of half and 3/4 tonners and a number of one designs like J24s and S80s etc. Unfortunately they wilted under pressure and opened it up to bigger and bigger boats until it folded against the competition of the long standing ORCV Winter Series which had always run on alternate weeks.

I absolutely agree that some of the best sailing right now is in Div 2 where there are a good number of similar sized (mid 30s) and similar speed boats fighting it out in every race. These include Syd 36s, Benny 35, INSX, Seaquest RP36s, Archambaults 31 & 35s, Adams Tens and my current ride, the X-35OD. They all get up on their day and do well and all are capable of winning on AMS/IRC. A big advantage of this close racing is that we are all getting better and sailing faster. The boat handling and crew work is great to see at close quarters and any slip up will cost places. The last couple of CM Range series and last years ORCV Winter Series saw really good close and exciting racing amongst that group. Last season saw several boats close to the tcf cut off point elect to move down from Div 1 to Div 2 to increase the fleet even more. Div 2 offers us much more fun than watching big boat transoms disappear into the distance.

To all our fellow Div 2 competitors over the last couple of seasons; thanks, it's been great fun!

Nuts is heading north this week en route in stages to Airlie Beach for some fun in the sun in August so we will miss the ORCV Winter series this year but we are looking forward to the next summer season and resuming racing in the heat of Div 2 where the action is.

Thanks for the feedback Sportscar and you have also jogged the memory as to the sponsor of the last regatta I think sailed in about 1996.

Taking on board your comments it seems the key is having similar sized yachts around the 32' - 35' LOA dimension max that seem to have performances that are relativly matched depending on the conditions, and where generally speaking every dog has his day as far as a measurement system race goes.

Whilst understand your concerns regarding the timing (and take them onboard) are being careful not to clash or compete with any pre existing keelboat events and as previously mentioned doubt that any of the target boats would be interested in bashing to Grassey that weekend and are probally looking for something to do, particularly now that RBYC has discontinued the Audi Regatta.

The view is whilst SYC conducted the Bennateu Regatta (essentially a fun event) on the Saturday this year the club is more than capable of walking and chewing gum and we are sure the Sunday Sailors won't mind.

Another recent thought is encouraging the few sportsboats that reside on Port Phillip (or furher afield for that matter) to participate in the same races, but maybe scored under the SMS system given it is proving very popular with that group, and a direct correlation to AMS may be possible but would need to take advice on that

Certainly the size and performance of those types fits perfectly with the intent of the event.

I like the sound of this.

I don't have OTB kids, or any other kind for that matter, and I hate not being able to sail race on weekends just because something else is on somewhere else in Victoria e.g. ORCV races, Labour Day weekend, plus others.

Does Smoothie at 36 feet fit into the "around 35 foot LOA"??

Tell me more.

I've made an amendment

Thanks for the feedback Sportscar and you have also jogged the memory as to the sponsor of the last regatta I think sailed in about 1996.

Taking on board your comments it seems the key is having similar sized yachts around the 32' - 35' LOA dimension max that seem to have performances that are relativly matched depending on the conditions, and where generally speaking every dog has his day as far as a measurement system race goes.

Whilst understand your concerns regarding the timing (and take them onboard) are being careful not to clash or compete with any pre existing keelboat events and as previously mentioned doubt that any of the target boats would be interested in bashing to Grassey that weekend and are probally looking for something to do, particularly now that RBYC has discontinued the Audi Regatta.

The view is whilst SYC conducted the Bennateu Regatta (essentially a fun event) on the Saturday this year the club is more than capable of walking and chewing gum and we are sure the Sunday Sailors won't mind.

Another recent thought is encouraging the few sportsboats that reside on Port Phillip (or furher afield for that matter) to participate in the same races, but maybe scored under the SMS system given it is proving very popular with that group, and a direct correlation to AMS may be possible but would need to take advice on that

Certainly the size and performance of those types fits perfectly with the intent of the event.

As previously posted, if you have a proposal for SYC (or any other Club for that matter) on an event then I suggest you to direct that to the Club. Stirring up things on a public forum like this one, whilst may your thing, it not likely to get this event up and running.

The view is whilst SYC conducted the Bennateu (Sp) Regatta (essentially a fun marketing event for the dealers) on the Saturday this year the club is more than capable of walking and chewing gum (Oh really?) and we are sure the Sunday Sailors won't mind.Have you bothered to ask them? Those dudes take their racing extremely seriously :P

(Another recent thought is encouraging the few sportsboats that reside on Port Phillip (or further afield for that matter) to participate in the same races, but maybe scored under the SMS system given it is proving very popular with that group, and a direct correlation to AMS may be possible but would need to take advice on that. Why? you haven't taken advice on anything else you are proposingCertainly the size and performance of those types fits perfectly with the intent of the event. Sportsboats and keelboats don't work on the same course, period!

Could this be yet another Pie in the Sky Regatta promoted by the ill informed and doomed from the outset? Wake up dude/s whoever you may be; the annual sailing program is quite full enough already. Time-poor sailors have clearly decided they want shorter races and less of them. Look at the dwindling numbers racing as the season progresses. Your proposed "event" would only serve to dilute the mix even further.

Could this be yet another Pie in the Sky Regatta promoted by the ill informed and doomed from the outset? Wake up dude/s whoever you may be; the annual sailing program is quite full enough already. Time-poor sailors have clearly decided they want shorter races and less of them. Look at the dwindling numbers racing as the season progresses. Your proposed "event" would only serve to dilute the mix even further.

"We'll all be rooned" said Hanrahan (alias Flatbag) "before the year is out".

I'd like to see two races sailed on Saturdays for all Divisions. The Div 0 boats have done this, any feedback?

Thanks for the feedback Flatbag, appreciate your point of view.

To clear up a couple of points that may not have been made clear enough in the earlier posts

• Completely no intention of competing with or displacing existing events and that certainly includes the Sunday Sailors, people who in my experiance are new to sailing and use that event to gain racing confiidence in a much less intense environment than Saturday racing and a great series. Given this Series is always a pursuit tower start can't really see a conflict as the proposed racing would be held some distance away probally on a set course.
  • The same really goes for the Bennateu Regatta the day prior, a tower start (although massed) and sailing around fixed SYC marks and gives all the participants involved a great day.
  • Think that SYC ran a great Centenary regatta with regard to the race management and really did prove you can walk and chew gum, easily running multiple events.

Agree with your comments regarding Sportsboats to a point, can't really handicap them against traditional types but they can sail in the same race and be scored seperatly using SMS, if there are enough of coarse as per the proposed one design/one type arrangement.

As close as Brighton and for a little while a group has been attempting to run a Sportsboat Series and really haven't been all that successful to date with numbers so maybe there will be some interest there.

Again, agree with your comments to a point regarding time poor sailors however think that the proposed series may well attract those that "Project Race' meaning not so much interested in the week to week club racing grind and are happier to do the larger more intense events leaving time in between for family and other priorites.

Again, feedback and comments welcome.

Thanks for the feedback Flatbag, appreciate your point of view.

To clear up a couple of points that may not have been made clear enough in the earlier posts

• Completely no intention of competing with or displacing existing events and that certainly includes the Sunday Sailors, people who in my experiance are new to sailing and use that event to gain racing confiidence in a much less intense environment than Saturday racing and a great series. Given this Series is always a pursuit tower start can't really see a conflict as the proposed racing would be held some distance away probally on a set course.
  • The same really goes for the Bennateu Regatta the day prior, a tower start (although massed) and sailing around fixed SYC marks and gives all the participants involved a great day.
  • Think that SYC ran a great Centenary regatta with regard to the race management and really did prove you can walk and chew gum, easily running multiple events.

Agree with your comments regarding Sportsboats to a point, can't really handicap them against traditional types but they can sail in the same race and be scored seperatly using SMS, if there are enough of coarse as per the proposed one design/one type arrangement.

As close as Brighton and for a little while a group has been attempting to run a Sportsboat Series and really haven't been all that successful to date with numbers so maybe there will be some interest there.

Again, agree with your comments to a point regarding time poor sailors however think that the proposed series may well attract those that "Project Race' meaning not so much interested in the week to week club racing grind and are happier to do the larger more intense events leaving time in between for family and other priorites.

Again, feedback and comments welcome.

Back to basics: "Planning is now well underway by a SYC group to run a two (or even two and a half) day event across the Labour Day weekend in March 2012..."

It would appear that your group involves neither the SYC sailing committee nor the SYC boating department as no one there seems to have the faintest idea about your "SYC Group" or your planned event. Either they are sworn to secrecy or your group is planning to ambush them with your project. Not generally a good move with such organisations I would suggest as their response tends to be somewhat incendiary. Care to expand on your plans and who, in any semblance of an official capacity, might be involved? Or would that be telling?

Ignore Flatbag, the sailing committee and the race department and press on. If enough members want it, it will happen.

Back to basics: "Planning is now well underway by a SYC group to run a two (or even two and a half) day event across the Labour Day weekend in March 2012..."

It would appear that your group involves neither the SYC sailing committee nor the SYC boating department as no one there seems to have the faintest idea about your "SYC Group" or your planned event. Either they are sworn to secrecy or your group is planning to ambush them with your project. Not generally a good move with such organizations I would suggest as their response tends to be somewhat incendiary. Care to expand on your plans and who, in any semblance of an official capacity, might be involved? Or would that be telling?

AT the other end of the bay there was a certain "disinterest" as I will tactfully put it, in running a Wednesday afternoon winter series (for the unemployed, retired, etc. etc.) . We were threatened that we couldn't race without club permission, Harbour master permission, Yachting Victoria permission, insurance liability, etc. etc. We now have our series because we collected enough owners who wanted it and "convinced" the objectors one by one. The sailing committee and the race department exist to serve the membership, and it is the members who determine if you will get your regatta or not.

This brings me to a theme I constantly push about engagement. The reason that racing is in decline is because owners become disengaged with the idea of racing through BS, like the corporate sponsorship that saw Geelongs regatta turn from an almost family affair into a corporate orgy that neatly divided yachties into "us" and "them". Other regattas have fallen victim to the same disease.

As for your proposal, if you can keep the BS out of it, and members like the idea of racing with like boats without artificial division breaks, etc., then have at it, sounds good.

Ignore Flatbag, the sailing committee and the race department and press on. If enough members want it, it will happen.

It would appear that your group involves neither the SYC sailing committee nor the SYC boating department as no one there seems to have the faintest idea about your "SYC Group" or your planned event. Either they are sworn to secrecy or your group is planning to ambush them with your project. Not generally a good move with such organizations I would suggest as their response tends to be somewhat incendiary. Care to expand on your plans and who, in any semblance of an official capacity, might be involved? Or would that be telling?

AT the other end of the bay there was a certain "disinterest" as I will tactfully put it, in running a Wednesday afternoon winter series (for the unemployed, retired, etc. etc.) . We were threatened that we couldn't race without club permission, Harbour master permission, Yachting Victoria permission, insurance liability, etc. etc. We now have our series because we collected enough owners who wanted it and "convinced" the objectors one by one. The sailing committee and the race department exist to serve the membership, and it is the members who determine if you will get your regatta or not.

This brings me to a theme I constantly push about engagement. The reason that racing is in decline is because owners become disengaged with the idea of racing through BS, like the corporate sponsorship that saw Geelongs regatta turn from an almost family affair into a corporate orgy that neatly divided yachties into "us" and "them". Other regattas have fallen victim to the same disease.

As for your proposal, if you can keep the BS out of it, and members like the idea of racing with like boats without artificial division breaks, etc., then have at it, sounds good.

Hear, Hear.

+1

Slight correction after I was beaten with kevlar whips by the club Captain, it was the summer Wednesday afternoon series that was started by popular acclaim in spite of initial disapproval, for those who don't want to stay up late or mix it with the much bigger Wednesday evening fleet. It still goes on. Some people even crew in both races.

Some interesting points from Walrus which probally goes to show the two clubs are really not all that different after all.

Testing market response 10 months out for a proposed Regatta seems to the group a reasonable and sensible approach, and considering "the voice of the customer" in the first instance is considered fundemental for any new event.

We are confident that, as has always been the case, the Committee of any progressive yacht club will gladly accept and adopt any sensible and well reasearched proposal that comes their way for inclusion in their sailing program.

For SB, although not as popular as it once was, Labour Day is also Marlay Pt weekend.

Good point and to date that event has not really been considered

The Marlay Pont race has a proud tradition and is a really great event and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a really fun weekend.

Doesn't really matter what you sail on as just competing and making it to the end is really worth the effort

We don't see too much of a conflict here as the MPOR is really targeted at traditional trailer sailors, rather than the Sports types and smaller keelboats encougaged to enter the Port Phillip Labour Day Regatta.

Perhaps some may be spoiled for choice.

Point to make here however is that all under 35 odd foot "Keelboats" would be encouraged to enter including trailables if numbers were sufficient

looks like a bastard of a race to apollo bay this weekend

Usually is! Temperatures are down a lot from a couple of weeks ago so there's not really a lot of incentive to go and beat your brains out getting to a harbour you can't get in to when you get there. Especially after the flogging dished out on the way to Port Fairy at Easter. :(

yes does not look like fun at all will be checking the forecast before we undo the lines but not looking good the orcv will keep a good eye on it being only cat3

Yes they will. There was an Apollo Bay i think 2 years ago that was cancelled due to 12 metre ish seas leftover from a long blow - would've made the heads rather shit, not to mention the lee-shore all the way there. And back.

Mind you, with 'ocean' in the moniker, don't expect to get off too lightly.

that is what I meant by keeping an eye on it they will pull the pin if there is 30 to 40 out there on the nose and I will certainly be checking my sainity if this is the case on going out to get my brains belted again for no real reason but to get cold and wet and break shit not that we broke anything going to port fairy but it is hard on the gear.

looks like a bastard of a race to apollo bay this weekend

OCS, you going ? Looks shite - i'd be faking an injury of some sort. Coldbourneitis

yeah on the DK so will be better off than some. but if models are correct then unlikely the ORCV will go ahead. 40 knots, 5 metre seas and low water temperature could be tempting fate.

So what's the story on the Apollo Bay race being canned in favour of a Port Phillip race instead? A bit rough & cold for the boys & girls now?

Never blows like it used to....

link

Yeah exactly. here is a 75' heading out that morning! Thanks to Teri Dodds for picture.

post-7635-016996200 1305429389_thumb.jpg

Phoenix trophy to QCYC was, er gross. Twenty Five knots and more in rain squalls. Two Metre + seas. Twenty out of Forty started. About Ten finished. Two rigs were dropped and Envy shredded its main. I had partial engine failure in the West Channel. The thought of having to sail all the way back to RYCV almost made me physically sick, but I got it going again. Air in the fuel lines I think.

Hot Off the press:

AUDI QUITTING GEELONG VICTORIA WEEK....

I'll get my beer and popcorn, then u can all proceed....

Now that's fair dinkum unbelievable but I guess DTM oughta know, he's from G'burg. (RIP Bobbie Davis)

So how much will RGYC get from that Contract cancellation payout to top up the mega buck$ they scored when Skandia pulled out a couple of years ago?

Maybe now the sailors will get their regatta back from the corporate overkill?

The Skandia money I believe was the contract payout for the final 2 years which has now gone? Audi sponsorship was only a fraction for those 2 years so too carry on as naming rights they would have to stump a fair bit more, so they have had cheap exposure for a couple of years and now pulled the plug goss going round Gtown descision made 3 months ago?

The Skandia money I believe was the contract payout for the final 2 years which has now gone? Audi sponsorship was only a fraction for those 2 years so too carry on as naming rights they would have to stump a fair bit more, so they have had cheap exposure for a couple of years and now pulled the plug goss going round Gtown descision made 3 months ago?

Yeah, heard that too. Apparently they pulled the pin right after the last regatta. RGYC keeping quiet while the round up another sucker sponsor???

Check this out, if you dare...

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Sandringham-Yacht-Club-Centenary-Regatta---Special-regatta-Video/83675

What a fucking embarrasment this shit is for SYC, and to think they paid the useless cunt good money for this absolute rubbish.

A full three weeks after their Centenary event, their "publicity" officer churns out complete drivel in a video that would see a 6th grade schoolkid sent back to try again. It is full of irrelevant footage of yachts cruising between their finish and the next start, interviews with has-beens and all overdubbed with Mike Sabeys boring, droning voice waffling on with his usual misinformation. It looks like it was made up of out takes from the cutting room floor with fuck all actual racing coverage, virtually no coverage of the IRC/AMS premier events of the day and way too much coverage of the visiting Japanese drunks. (Oh yes, they were!!) It was a great day of sailing and celebration but this "Special Regatta Video" is a fucking woeful representation of it.

Special it aint, a fucking disgrace it is!